[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to launch a bit of a thought experiment here. We can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: vendel.jpg (63KB, 476x640px) Image search: [Google]
vendel.jpg
63KB, 476x640px
I want to launch a bit of a thought experiment here.
We can point to specific styles when it comes to "full plate armour". we got GOTHIC armour, MILANESE armour, ENGLISH etc.
Now, if we go back to the 8th-10th century scandinavia we have the Norse people, culturally distinct from the rest of christian europe, who never had more advanced armour than maille and some instances of lamellar. The norse people eventually turned christian and joined the rest of the european political stage, but what we will try to consider today is this hypothetical:
What would a culturally Norse Full-plate armour look like?
Assuming that they had access to the required resources, technology and skill to design their own type of armour.

Hurstwic has a good article on helmets
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_helmets.htm
Pictured here is a Vendel helmet. I find it curious that the norse largely abandoned faceplates before the viking era but I suppose it's a bit like hand protection. Not very useful when you got your shield and you want to save money anyways.

Another tidbit to consider: there is some evidence to suggest that the Iron hat (or kettle helm) was a scandinavian invention that was brought to england by norwegian crusaders, but that is an 11th century thing so not entirely relevant for us.
>>
Take Gothic armour and put some Scandinavian touches on it.

That's what the historical Scandinavians died.
>>
>>54969014
The entire point of the thread was to not do what the scandis did.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.