[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a confession /tg/. I've GM'd probably 50 roleplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Behrelit.png (322KB, 667x912px) Image search: [Google]
Behrelit.png
322KB, 667x912px
I have a confession /tg/.

I've GM'd probably 50 roleplay sessions, but I haven't killed off a PC.

I never set out determined to let them live. But when they're on death's door I end up giving them extra saving throws, or if they're reduced to 0 enemies would change focus instead of finishing them off, or I'd give them some agility roll to grasp a tree root as they tumbled off the cliff. I've also put the really dangerous stuff (not even aggressive necessarily) a long way away so they wouldn't die from stupidity.

I'm a pretty agreeable person, I get bunched up in the guts if someone is upset at me. But I know that handling the PCs with kid gloves takes away the sense of accomplishment, having no huge threat there is actually taking the seriousness and gravity out of the game. It also gives the players incentives to invent bullshit reasons why they should get special treatment if it works sometimes.

So, I suppose next session I'm going to be consciousness about enforcing reasonable consequences.
>>
>>54966028
A meal tastes better with salt.
>>
>>54966028
>I'm going to be consciousness
conscientious
>>
>>54966028
Just try it anon. You'll find after a while you really enjoy it.
>>
>>54966534
I'm itching to kill my 2nd player. I did it once in a one off game, and damn did it feel good. It was like, "finally, no more bullshit." Getting killed takes the piss right out of you.
>>
>>54966028
What system are you playing? Because plenty of systems I know actually make it really fucking hard to kill PC's even if you play to the letter.

To your question I would just be honest with your players that you have noticed this pattern in yourself and you want to correct it. This will give them fair warning that there won't be any more second chances.
>>
You're doing gods work anon. The PCs should never die.

Killing them and telling them to roll up a new character makes it too easy for them.

Instead, they should suffer life changing injuries, and learn to RP with them in mind.
>>
>>54968917

I started with Dark Heresy (back when I didn't know what I was doing), then did some Pathfinder and Savage Worlds.

Looking back, I have no idea how my players, also brand-new to RPGs, had their characters survive through a dozen Dark Heresy sessions.
>>
>>54966028
On one hand, never killing a PC off is bad and you should avoid it, if only for reasons of setting versimilitude (unless you're playing something where death is really rare, like some kind of high school social game)

On the other hand, you can have plenty of seriousness and gravity in a game without the real risk of PC death. Are your players so sociopathic or so munchkiny that they can only care about their own PCs? Is there nothing you can take away from them? Often, blows to their friends or their accomplishment hurt way more than killing a PC, who is often quickly replaced by another one of similar power.
>>
>>54969250
I wouldn't say that PCs should never die, but thats kinda the method I woudl use, but in my sessions nobody was that near death, which is because most of my adventures have been more detective style stuff.
>>
>>54969250
Anon, I do not think there is much possibility of making roleplaying a brain-damaged dullard bound to her pisstained bed with gangrenous limbs and a pregnant womb any sort of fun, unless you are running a very special kind of game in a very special kind of magical realm.
>>
>>54966028
I'm in much the same boat, with the fact that a couple of my players get rather... intense when their character is in mortal danger. I'm planning on breaking the habit with a dungeon crawl marathon via Yawning Portal.
>>
>>54970860
this sentence was a roller coaster
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.