[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm relatively new to this type of scene so, any advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 71km9I6Cl2L._SL1492_.jpg (177KB, 1492x1425px) Image search: [Google]
71km9I6Cl2L._SL1492_.jpg
177KB, 1492x1425px
I'm relatively new to this type of scene so, any advice for DM-ing or even just organizing a group of people to start playing with?
>>
If you got a creative mind DM-ing is pretty easy just make the bare bones of the campaign and wing the rest of it
>>
>>54964930
take no shit
no exceptions
you, as the organizer, are responsible for keeping everyone's shit together, and that means, if someone is being an asshat, it cannot fly
>>
>>54964930
For a first time DM i would higy reccomend a premade adventure module. If you're playing dnd 5e most of these modules are great and good for beginners.
>>
>>54964930
after the first few sessions look beyond D&D
>>
File: Capture.png (77KB, 1882x402px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
77KB, 1882x402px
>>54964930
1. Don't say no unless you absolutely have to. If a player wants to make a stupid or illogical decision, they'll have to face the consequences of said decision.
>I draw my weapon to intimidate the king!
>His elite royal guards all draw their weapons. You realize they are considerably more experienced than you. You realize you should probably put your weapon away.
>I don't care, I attack!
>rolls dice
>They cut you to ribbons.

2. This being said, don't be afraid to put your foot down or adjudicate. If a player wants to do something that's disruptive to the session or a discussion/argument is going on for too long, make a ruling and move on. If you aren't 100% sure about something, you can let the players know that you're making a temporary ruling to keep the game rolling and will come back to it later.

3. Remember, the point of the game is to have fun. Make sure to manage the spotlight so every player has a chance to do things, and write adventures with their characters in mind. There's nothing more boring than playing a hyper-intelligent scribe constantly being thrown into combat scenarios where you can't do much more than hide; or a badass but socially awkward warrior whose constantly being forced to engage in political intrigue.

4. This is something that took me forever to learn, the easiest way to GM is to have some interesting people/factions with clear goals and motivations and then just have them react to the PC's actions. Pic related is a post I made about running factions in games for an example on how to do this.

For more in-depth advice, I'd recommend checking out How to be a Great Game Master (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1F4eMw3W_rHBfxf9_m1hbw), which has some good general GMing advice. Mythcreants (https://mythcreants.com/) is also pretty good, though it is written by a bunch of tumblrinas, so expect occasional PC-culture obnoxiousness.

>>54965894
Seconded. This is a good way to get your feet wet while you're still learning the rules
>>
Don't let girls in the group. No matter how thirsty you get, do not do it. You might ignore this advice, but you will learn to regret that decision
>>
>>54964930
Vet your players. This means check them out and ask what sort of game they want to play before you accept them. Make sure they aren't a weirdo.
>>
I am in this situation where I am running Storm Kings Thunder for my group of friends. The problem is they all come to my sessions which I spend quite a lot of effort into organising and I feel they take it for granted.
We are 4 sessions in and all players are still finding it hard to work as the group, no one is standing up to lead the party and when ever a group decision is made they are all at each others heads or they don't care what so ever.
When I rp with the players most of them only care about either killing them or stealing from them despite their alignment.
At the moment there are five players all of which are friends of mine and I feel they just don't take me seriously enough and fuck around- leading to many times I have to start a sentence multiple times over again.

Some advice would be very great, this is just causing me a fucking headache.
>>
Anyone here GM Lost Mine of Phandelver? If so, anybody have any books to recommend that'll help get me in the right mindset?
>>
>>54966218
Have you tried talking to them?
>>
>>54966264
I have, they mostly get salty though
>>
>>54964930
Don't be a DM. Be a GM.
>>
>>54966267
Sounds like you have shitty players. Something that took me a while to learn is that sometimes it isn't the DM's fault.
>>
>>54965989
But girls smell nice..
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.