[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not a stranger to world building but I have always just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: 1447833549080.jpg (198KB, 1024x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1447833549080.jpg
198KB, 1024x1020px
I'm not a stranger to world building but I have always just kept loose notes and a strong idea of my settings, communicating them to my players during the game.

For my next campaign I want to present setting details to my players first, since I'll be running something without traditional races and particular magic rules. How do you usually organize setting information for your players /tg/? And what're your preferred methods of world building?
>>
File: 1501887783485.png (102KB, 527x431px) Image search: [Google]
1501887783485.png
102KB, 527x431px
how do the Dawi even live, what do they farm?

what food can you even cultivate, living inside a mountain?
>>
If it's a lot of information to absorb, type it and print it. They can read it before hand and the have a reference document in game so you don't get bogged down with questions during game time.

General description of the world, races, agriculture, landscape, social organization and governments, that type of shit.
Then launch into magic and any other specific shit. Give a brief description of the races in the first section, and the detail it in the specifics section. If you have a detailed history for the setting, you should probably do it here.
>>
File: kammerstykke_col1.jpg (100KB, 1472x606px) Image search: [Google]
kammerstykke_col1.jpg
100KB, 1472x606px
>>54948242
>How do you usually organize setting information for your players /tg/?
A wiki which all can acess from anywhere and players can add and modify their characters. One of them might even help adding stuff.

https://plans.pbworks.com/signup/basic20?utm_campaign=mcgetyourown&utm_source=personal

>And what're your preferred methods of world building?
-I don't even know which are the methods, but the former's campaigns are more or less integrated into the setting's timeline. I impose my own and somewhat arbitrary limits to foster creativity. Said limits were often "how do I make sense of this idea X had for his character's hometown/kingdom?"

-I also try to make each place having an exceptional characteristic/theme based on something not magical, like a city which mines a lot of cinnabar or one repopulated as a not!Las Vegas with gladiators. I try to derive the rest from that.

-Being realistic is not the same as being believable, and I favor the later. Reality is too silly, random and lacks proper narrative coherence to be a guideline.

-Reading crazy websites where someone tries to argue about the links between electricity, gravity and vimanas helped me discern about how to make fiction believable. Specially the cosmic rules of the setting's universe.

That's all which comes to mind right now. I might help with specific questions like "how to make swamp kingdom?" and other worldbuildings.
>>
>>54948281
lots of shrooms
>>
>>54948281
Food which doesn't depend on sunlight:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus
How about cultivating tubercules on uranium-rich soil, a mile beneath the surface? They may even glow and also provide light.

Perhaps those lavaducts in some dwarven kingdoms give off heat and nutritious toxic fumes to weird "caloritrophic" vines from which the dwarfs collect fruits. Who says dorf agriculture can't be based on stone carving and precise engineering?

>>54948565
The issue with that is that shrooms are decomposers, not autotrophs. Usually.
>>
bump for interest
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.