[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the really broad types of settings besides fantasy and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1l33mq.jpg (39KB, 604x371px) Image search: [Google]
1l33mq.jpg
39KB, 604x371px
What are the really broad types of settings besides fantasy and space opera? I'm talking the kind of giant setting type of things.
>>
>>54945842
Modern
Steampunk
Cyberpunk
Post Apocalypse
Space Western (Kind of a subgenre of space opera)
Regular Western
Prehistory (Like caveman stuff)
Kung-fu

That's really all I can think of.
>>
>>54946543
>>54945842
- Film Noir/Detective Games
- Superhero Games
- War Games
- Weird War Games
- Horror Games
- Heist Games
>>
>>54946614
You can also apply many of these to each other to create a different genre
Horror Western
Steampunk War Games
Kung-fu Heist
etc.
>>
>>54945842

Pulp
Pulp's illegitimate son, Superheroes
>>
>your PC is technically you
>the RPG setting is basically you having an out of body experience
>you wind up in a car crash and in a coma, you get a cramp and sink to the bottom of a swimming pool and someone is currently performing CPR, you like to meditate and have successfully managed to astral project, etc. etc. etc.
>your PC starts out as an amorphous transparent blob of energy, completely unable to interact with anything solid or corporeal
>it starts out with you and the other PCs doing little things, like chasing ghosts through walls and trying to talk to psychics
>it slowly but eventually escalates until you are having full blown epic fights that could potentially kill your PCs physical bodies, or destroy your PCs very soul
>your PC changes as they level up, gaining abilities and their appearance physical features, still entirely non corporeal, but your PC can appear as whatever you want, it's your abilities that matter
>eventually you fight the BBEG and successfully get back inside your body
>your PC wakes up and doesn't remember a damn thing, but their soul/astral form still retains all of their abilities and features
>rinse and repeat indefinitely

What would this best be described as? Based on the individual GM, it could be anything from dark pulpy noir, to Silent Hill meets H.P. Lovecraft, to comfy chill Scooby Doo mystery hunt, to epic high fantasy Spirit Wizards fighting Spirit Dragons while riding Spirit Unicorns stuff.
>>
>>54945842
I guess the genre's really just boil down to
>fantasy
>science fiction
>various shades of reality - previous era, current era, post-modern

If you're asking for less broad genres, then that's a different story altogether
>>
You're all forgetting erotic role playing.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.