[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 38

File: gr.jpg (161KB, 736x1137px) Image search: [Google]
gr.jpg
161KB, 736x1137px
Previous thread: >>54919769
>Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/a-brief-respite-before-the-deluge-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
stat me
>5th editons cliffnotes
https://pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>>
First for you can't use ruling to make a lifeform stop it's heart to kill itself
>>
>>54932143
Well that solves that.
>>
>>54932143
Please don't bring last thread discussion into the new one.
>>
>>54932100
Fire Sin Eater? Is there suck a thing? I want to say there is but I'm not sure
>>
So outside of the implication that you should use it, what don't you guys like about the God-Machine?
>>
>>54932100
For some reason I imagine this being a badass Changeling Mien
>>
>>54932173
>>54932100
Fire Sin Eaters are definitely a thing
Geists tend to stylize themselves as "God of ___" or something otherwise big and showy and definitely not true, (because they forget who they were in life).

Ghost Rider would be one of the Torn, with a Geist who stylizes itself as a demon of vengeance. He gets a flaming Death Mask, and probably a Fetter for his chain-whip.
As for manifestations, he's probably got Pyre-Flame for everything, but I'm not knowledgable about the mechanics of Geist to say more than that.
>>
>>54932307
My understanding of Geists is that they're like a mix between Bleach and JoJo's bizarre adventure. Except they're less anime are more spooky ghost people.
>>
So if it takes 3 Mana to heal yourself, remove a Mental Condition or a Physical Tilt, does this mean you can't do that until Gnosis 3? Because you can't spend 3 Mana in a turn until that point.
>>
>>54932815
I assume you can do it over two or three turns if your per-turn limit is too low, isn't that usually how it works?
>>
>>54932843
With most stuff, yeah.
>>
Which splat to read after I'm done with Awakening 2e?
>>
>>54933000
Mummy.

We need at least one person who knows about it, that isn't Atamajakki.
>>
What are the major differences between the Free Council and the Mysterium?

Both are heavy into magical research and have notable repositories of supernal lore.
Knowledge seems to be their gig, with the former relying on the 'new' and the latter leaning on the 'old.'

What else is there?
>>
>>54933251
One is ok with slaughter sleepers for "research"
>>
>>54933251
One is full of raging faggots, the other isnt.
>>
If you cast a spell within your own Oneiros is the spell still active/working in the real world when you wake up assuming you cast the spell with sufficient duration?
>>
>>54933006
As someone who has read Mummy, don't bother. System doesn't fit the game, it needs a 2e worse than Geist. (Which is no insurance against 2e being fucked too.)
>>
>>54933465
Well good news, 2e is planned for it according to the brochure.
>>
>>54933251
The Free Council fancies itself a parallel democratic government and has votes on things. Power's for sale to anybody who can make a deal. Bitches be inventing new forms of magic; if you want a weird dedicated tool go Free Council.

The Mysterium is a secret society, and the higher your degree of initiation, the more power and information you have. Big on classic magic and preserving the methods of the past. If you think Ars Magica and Rosicrucians are cool, join the Mysterium.
>>
>>54933251
>What are the major differences between the Free Council and the Mysterium?
What they do, for starters. The Mysterium is about preservation, rescuing magic and ancient arcane knowledge before it's lost. This ties into their stance on Sleepers. They believe that magic is alive, and Sleepers are hurting it. The Free Council is more about innovation, taking magic into the modern age. This ties into *their* stance on Sleepers. The Free Council believes that Sleeper culture is the go-to place to look for Supernal symbols, and doesn't disregard them as being irrelevant or just a nuisance like most other Mages do. They're also practically polar opposites in approach and structure. The Free Council believes that hierarchical structures support the tyranny of the Exarchs, and that by being democratic they reject that tyranny. The Mysterium is very hierarchical, with very clear cut lines in the pecking order. The Mysterium also guards its knowledge seriously, even against their own members. Meanwhile any bozo can peruse an entire Lorehouse as long as they haven't done anything to lose the privilege.

To boil it down, on one hand you've got your conservatives and on the other your liberals.
>>
>>54933552
>Meanwhile any bozo can peruse an entire Lorehouse as long as they haven't done anything to lose the privilege.
I should clarify, any bozo in the Free Council or in good standing with it.
>>
>>54933510
>>54933552
>>54933577

Thanks, anons.
>>
Favourite ST character across any edition/splat?

Jack Cade here. Just because the idea of a homicidal hard right vampire patriot cowboy is executed perfectly in him.
>>
>>54933880
I never use characters presented in the books.

Seems to defeat the purpose of creating my own chronicle, for me.
>>
>>54933880
That bastard Giovanni that proceeds to ghoul and then embrace the entire Coterie in "Giovanni Chronicles IV: Nuovo Mallatia" - it was so much fun to play that guy. He starts out suave, seductive, self-assured... then the players start to see the anger issues, the abuse of power, the loss of Humanity...
>>
>>54933437
it will still be active, but it wont be effecting the real world?

What do you mean by "working in the real world"?
>>
Hunter anons, how do you like to deviate from stereotypes about monsters/how the various other splats represent them?

I tend to just keep my Werewolves as cursed individuals that turn into incredibly dangerous half-beast creatures and go into a frenzy. I also prefer to avoid god machine stuff so my demons are usually from straight up hell, or the equivalent of whatever culture they're from.
>>
>>54934243
Never did get to run GC IV but i loved reading it.
>>
>>54934452
Main thing I do is forget the culture.
That's all it takes to turn most of the creeps into real monsters.

Take a werewolf, strip away the idea of a tribe, strip away the shamanism, strip away the sense of duty to protect the shadow and the material worlds. You just get a predator who can twist into a monster.

It is easiest with vampires. Without their culture they are just the usual stereotype, with a lot less names to remember.

Hardest is probably Mage. Since they assign so much of what they do to the society around them, even though at the end of the day they are a being who was touched with demi-god powers by some outside realm from beyond. All their ranting about the greater powers, and whatnot, just makes them sound like crazy people that probably need to be killed.
>>
>>54933552
The Mysterium are, quite literally, Making Magic Great Again.
>>
>>54934892
All their ranting about the greater powers, and whatnot, just makes them sound like crazy people that probably need to be killed.

Good luck with that.

Also, remember that sleepers cannot remember superman magic.
>>
>>54935182
..are you saying the Corpus Author is Our Lord and Saviour Donald Trump?
>>
>>54934892
Are you Implying a lowly hunter has even the slightest chance of harming let alone killing one of the Wise?
>>
So can somebody tell me how demon contracts are made in owod, in terms of the game system. Like let's say i have a vampire that will sacrifice virgins every fortnight in exchange for Appearance 4, firstly, it that possible, and if so how does that work? Can Demon lores be "lent" etc.
>>
>>54935396
Play descent instead. Fallen is oWod garbage
>>
>>54935320
Mage society is all about stopping mages from killing each other, or at least frowning on it if it's done openly. What better proxy assassin than "a lowly hunter" with just the right untraceable help to be dangerous?
>>
>>54932143
>ruling a heart to stop
>not ruling a thunderhead to strike a lightning bolt in a certain spot
>>
>>54932561
>3 Virtual Adepts in Revised do a Ritual. How? Trinary computers, hacking reality, AI familiars.
>3 Virtual Adepts in M20 do a Ritual. How? One does Yoga. Another smokes a large joint. The third does martial arts because "Gods and Monsters", which I guess means Lana Del Rey is magical now.
>M20 has no concept of paradigm, Phil is explicit when he says it was to limit real-world Magickal workings. What replaces it is an incoherent attempt to ripe off Yantras.

I feel this could have been solve with an actually relevant side bar

>Magic with yoga pants.
>Yes, by raw you could make a virtual adept whose magic is cast by yoga. The system is open enough and magic practice are varied enough that covering all possible practices are futile, House Thig for example. However, DMs should keep in mind as to how exactly a mage who´s chosen tools is Yoga joined the Virtual Adepts. Who taught him and why? And DM have the last word on whether your character choice of focus would allow him to join a Tradition or not.
>>
>>54932100
Ghost Rider

Virtue: Implacable/Loyal
Vice: Vengeful
Threshold: Torn
Archetype: Reaper

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 6
Physical Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
Social Attributes: Presence 6, Manipulation 2, Composure 5

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Crafts 3, Investigation (Vengeance) 4, Medicine 1, Occult 3, Science 1

Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl 5, Drive (Motorcycle, Stunts) 6, Firearms (Shotgun) 4, Survival 2, Weaponry (Chains) 5

Social Skills: Empathy (Guilt) 4, Expression (Wisecracking) 2, Intimidation 5, Persuasion 1, Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Vengeance), Danger Sense, Direction Sense, Indomitable (Epic), Interdisciplinary Specialty (Vengeance), Professional Training 5 (Stuntman: Athletics, Drive, Empathy), Trained Observer 1, Virtuous (Advanced 3), Ambidextrous, Automotive Genius, Crack Driver 3, Demolisher 3, Greyhound, Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 4, Quick Draw (Chains), Seizing The Edge, Stunt Driver 5, Air Of Menace, Closed Book 4, Iron Will, Striking Looks 2 (Heavy Metal), Table Turner, Takes One To Know One, Armed Defense 5, Defensive Combat (Weaponry), Iron Skin 2 (Advanced 2), Killer Instinct 3 (Advanced 2), Light Weapons 4

Willpower: 10
Defense: 9
Initiative: 9
Speed: 14 On Foot (Use Motorcycle Otherwise)
Health: 10
Psyche: 6
Synergy: 7

Manifestations: Rage 5, Shroud 4, Hearse 5

Keys: Phantasmal, Passion, Pyre Flame, Industrial

Ceremonies: ???
>>
>>54932100
Looking for one or two more players for a game of Demon the Descent. Contact me at OrangePekoe#2822 on Discord if interested.
>>
>>54936231
Sorry demon is meant to be played with one person unless you are a damn good ST
>>
>>54934451
Since magic cast within your Oneiros is free from paradox (assuming it doesn't leave your own soul).

Wouldn't casting a spell within your own soul be a wiser and safer way to buff yourself with magic than a ritual space that uses a soul stone to form a demesne?
>>
>>54936325
Magic only buffs your dreamself while you're there. Outside, you're just normal.
>>
>>54936280
>Sorry demon is meant to be played with one person
Well, no, that's not true at all. I've run it several times before and always with a party of 3-4 players. There is no WoD game designed with the intent of being played solo.
>>
>>54936337
The dude who doesn't use punctuation hates demon.
>>
>>54936333
A'ight cool. On a related note. If you take the astral adept merit and perform the oblation. Do you fall asleep during the journey?

I have an idea for an adamantine arrow that summons aspects of his personality to aid him during a fight. And uses the astral adept merit (combat) to access his oneiros away from a place of power.
>>
>>54936424
Yeah. Oneiros = Asleep, or at the very least completely out of it. A practiced mage could just fluff it that way, as being unconscious during the event, especially a mind mage playing with Goetia.
>>
>>54936448
Could you use a Mind or Life spell to stay 'awake' while being asleep at the same time?
>>
>>54936458
If I were your ST, I'd let you do it, but cost a point of mana and ensure that you were 'splitting' your awareness. Each turn, pick which side you're paying attention to, basically. Flesh or astral. Probably 3/3 for arcana. Maybe 2/3.
>>
>>54936337
Yeah there is it's demon and to a lesser extent mummy. Naratively works better with one person. Werewolf, hunter and mage are the only ones who were really designed with group play in mind
>>
>>54936506

Changeling's a group game by its nature, a motley is pretty much a support group.
>>
>>54936506
No, you're 100% wrong about that. You may think it works better that way but it was fully designed with group play in mind, as evidenced by the corebook's constant referral to the 'group' and 'players'.
>>
File: Omae wa mo shinderu.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Omae wa mo shinderu.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>54932143
That's what your fists are for.
>>
>>54933880
Sullivan Dane. Remove Vampire and look cool while doing it.
>>
>>54935320
The anti-magic benediction isn't too bad. With some prep and decent stats you have a fighting chance if you ambush.
>>
>>54936742
Are you Implying that the Mage didn't see the future and anticipated the hunter or checked his fate or had a spirit of protection following him or any number of things with only two dots in an arcana
>>
>>54936742

One of the biggest problems of hunting one of the Wise, besides the fact that it's so hard to know about them because of the Quiescence, is that you might actually manage to harm or kill one. If that mage had any mage friends or part of any number of mage groups (e.g., Seers, Pentacle, Legacy, cabal, etc.), the retribution will be swift and terrible. You would be luck if they only killed you, although death is not the end of torment to any mage proficient in Death. Even if the mage you killed was an asshole (which describes most Awakened), you would still be hunted and punished on principle to deter others.

Werewolves fear that interfering with the Awakened might result in a fate worse than death. It certainly would not turn out better for a human.

Hunting the Wise is generally an act of suicide, likely sooner rather than later, at least under Hunter 1e. Whether this will change in Hunter 2e remains to be seen. If it does, I'm curious how it will be accomplished without trampling Mage themes and rules.
>>
> Implying nWoD won't finally die when Storypath System comes out
> Deviant is already basically a Storypath game
>>
File: DEEP DARK SHRUGGING.gif (344KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
DEEP DARK SHRUGGING.gif
344KB, 256x192px
>>54936845
Yes I am if it's part of a Hunter campaign. Because a GM with a Mage/Magic villain who full-on plays to win and doesn't play to challenge in a Hunter game is the most disgustingly shit of niggers. It's the same way that anyone who has an epic wizard villain in D&D should do an encounter against him with kid's gloves to give the fighters and barbarians a chance to win instead of just using a pocket dimension or whatever to leave.
>>
About to start a hunter game with no edges

What are the best ways to kill werewolves and demons? We have leeches covered, changelings are easy, and mages are all or nothing, but werewolves and demons puzzle me
>>
>>54937305
Werewolves need to be shot from a distance before they change, or bound in silver and force fed ammunition so their regeneration can't come into play.

Demons? Fuck if I know. Got a fuel-air bomb handy?
>>
>>54937305
>werewolves puzzle you
Silver. Lots and lots of silver.
>>
>>54937305
Demons are in the class of mages. Nuke from orbit or don't bother.
>>
>>54937113
>instead of just using a pocket dimension or whatever to leave.
>implying the "You've foiled me this time, but I'll be back again!" kind of villains aren't great
>>
>>54937305
Witha demon. Make sure you've done your research into them, cover your bases, then go hard and hopefully they flee before too many people get hurt.
>>
>>54937109

Mark my words, Scion will be OPP's new flagship by this time in 2022.
>>
File: 1499019520305.jpg (430KB, 1274x810px) Image search: [Google]
1499019520305.jpg
430KB, 1274x810px
>>54937109
good, riddance, I say
>>
>>54937904
Fuck off shitlord
>>
File: Morpheus.jpg (31KB, 620x549px) Image search: [Google]
Morpheus.jpg
31KB, 620x549px
>>54937079
>I've seen a werewolf punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air. Yet, their strength and their speed, are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.

>What are you trying to tell me that I could dodge bullets?

>No Neo, I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready you won't have to.

Marionette (Life ••)
Practice: Ruling
Primary Factor: Potency
Withstand: Stamina
Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Athletics, Expression

Anything that lives, or successfully makes itself appear as though it lives, does so by calling upon the supernal truth of the Primal-Wilds. The Shaman can control this life force as easily as a puppeteer controls a marionette on a stage.

At the base level for the Duration of the spell the shaman can only command base life processes (e.g. sleep, hunger, sweat, lacrimation, etc.). Doing so may be obvious magic or hubris depending upon the conditions (e.g. forcing a driver to tear up so much he's temporarily blinded and looses control of his vehicle).

+1 Reach: The shaman takes over direct control over the muscles and nerves of a life form forcing it to perform any physical task the Shaman defines for the Duration. (e.g. dig a ditch through a minefield) If conscience the subject is fully aware of the fact that their body is acting outside of their control. Their ability to voice their displeasure however may be limited.

+2 Reach: Threads can be plucked or they can be cut. At this level of control the Shaman can directly manipulate a life forms ability to survive. The shaman can stop hearts, cause organs to hemorrhage, nerves to misfire and seizure. The only limit is the Shaman's wisdom.
>>
>Deadpan Merit
>"you’ve slipped free of horror itself"
>"No matter what faces you, if it’s magical in nature, you never have to make rolls to resist fear or revulsion"
Mage Supremacy? Hah! How about Sleepwalker Supremacy? Beasts can go fuck themselves.
>>
Idea for a Sin-Eater: a street artist and activist who died from sadness when his movement and fans moved on and left him without purpose. His Geist was also an activist, but from the French Revolution, and he died of old age in a prison cell to punish him for challenging the feudal goverment. They try to work together to bring about justice and equality, but frequently disagree on how to do so (and on artistic tastes). Alternatively: the Sin-Eater was killed by the hired guns of someone who did not approve of the secrets he was leaking, and the Geist was executed on the guillotine. This would make the Sin-Eater a Torn instead of a Silent.
>>
File: K5TVQXg6SD8.jpg (70KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
K5TVQXg6SD8.jpg
70KB, 715x1080px
U mad, dirty Nosfies? :3
>>
>>54938208
Source and is there more?
>>
File: Robyn.png (125KB, 222x480px) Image search: [Google]
Robyn.png
125KB, 222x480px
>>54938208
I'm glad the Nosferatu aren't forced to be hideous in Requiem.
>>
>>54938359
If they aren't ugly than they usually smell like shit
>>
>>54938385
They can simply be extremely unsettling to mortals for various reasons. Many bloodlines precise how exactly the curse manifests, like the Butrakamin being basically mummified or the Licinii sickly or crippled.
>>
>>54938359
But those auto dramatic failures on social skills..
>>
File: legal.jpg (43KB, 364x500px) Image search: [Google]
legal.jpg
43KB, 364x500px
>>54938208
>>54938359
We're all equally ugly on the inside.
>>
>>54938436
Only if you used Presence or Manipulation.
>>
File: e1i3ISvKuec.jpg (127KB, 1280x916px) Image search: [Google]
e1i3ISvKuec.jpg
127KB, 1280x916px
>>54938292
Source is beata_vargas, glad you asked, because 20mins before i checked her she posted a new cosplay - a Malkavian, and Malkavian + VV lesbo action.
>>
File: Rq1bStXegO8.jpg (95KB, 755x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rq1bStXegO8.jpg
95KB, 755x1080px
>>
File: SKVXJdE8sDs.jpg (105KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SKVXJdE8sDs.jpg
105KB, 715x1080px
>>
>>54938483
Most social skills do.
>>
>>54937904
Pfahahaha.
>>
I'm just a drunk normie, but what about that vtes? Does anyone have any cool toolbox ideas besides call the great beast? Can anyone make necromancy work? Is there any discipline more versatile than spiritus and valeren?
>>
>>54937904
I honestly hope they've at least come to understand why they should be embarrassed about this.
>>
Idea for a Vampire Elder: a grandstanding, eccentric, fun loving but monstrous, egomaniacal and capricious Nosferatu of the Circle Of The Crone who genuinely believes he can build his own domain by being both perfectly terrifying and perfectly adored. Insists on wearing assorted symbols of fertility and death on his person, like a shaman. Probably goes by some fae sounding sobriquet with a royal title in it. His clothes are a part of his body through Protean, so he can switch fashion styles and wield accessories as weapons. He looks like a cross between Bayonetta, Venom and the Gentleman With Thistledown Hair.
>>
>>54939985
The local changelings must *loathe* him.
>>
File: Tito Rogar transparent.png (686KB, 784x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Tito Rogar transparent.png
686KB, 784x1100px
>>54932100
Geist thread? Wonder if they'll tease anything more about it at Gencon.

>>54932173
>>54932182
>>54932307
>>54935961

Yeah Ghost Rider (Especially the Robbie Reyes version) is basically a Sin Eater. The dev of Geist 2e basically said it would likely be a Sin-Eater with particular specialization in Pyre-Flame Caul and Rage. Penance stare would probably also be Stillness or Phantasmal rage power to some degree.
>>
>>54932307
I thought that Geist powers don't really work on anything new.
Like I don't even think they get a simple *move element* power, just that they get some sort of homunculus to spy on people made from grave dirt, the dying breath of a man and so on.
>>
>>54939888
What? What makes you think they would be embarrassed by that?

Do you think those sections cause complaints anywhere? Or hurt their sales any?
>>
File: Tito Rogar.jpg (445KB, 1024x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Tito Rogar.jpg
445KB, 1024x1448px
>>54941179
The Industrial marionette basically manipulates non-organic objects. In 1e you get a bonus to using that power the older the object is and a dice pool negative depending on how modern it is.
>>
>>54941295

Everyone knows that a thread on 4chan is the sole lifeblood of the entire White Wolf fandom. That's why we have over 17 Mage 2e books, you see.
>>
>>54941452
Right, their powers don't work really well on newer things.
>>
File: Tito & Robin.jpg (167KB, 800x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Tito & Robin.jpg
167KB, 800x1018px
>>54941665
Some Sin-Eaters may stare at your smart phone as say "Sometimes something old and classic is better" as they whip out a telegraph on the subway. Then they'll probably start swearing up a storm as the Hobo King Ghost of the Third Rail starts haunting them and the telegraph starts begging for change.
>>
Good to know the one Geist player is in the thread.
>>
File: bring it.jpg (30KB, 451x263px) Image search: [Google]
bring it.jpg
30KB, 451x263px
Geist is shit

:^)
>>
File: Tito variants.png (807KB, 3897x2248px) Image search: [Google]
Tito variants.png
807KB, 3897x2248px
>>54941901
Hey there's that other guy who plays Geist that shows up every now and then.
>>
>>54941940
Is that a candle sword?
>>
>>54941940
How can a Geist get something that cool?
I thought that they were unable to do elemental things. Like lacking elemental "benders", fate manipulation, and so on.
>>
>>54941940
I too love Persona 2
>>
>>54940735
>>54941452
>>54941868
>>54941940
Shit man, how much art of your Stand User- I mean Geist did you have made?
>>
>>54936506
>better solo
>not Promethean
>>
>>54942285
I can see Mummy working solo. Promethean is indeed great for solo.

But Demon really can use multiple characters to run multiple angles on an operation. Don't know what that other anon was thinking.
>>
New NPC! Feedback is welcome.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1130662-new-horror-baphometalos
>>
>>54933880
Actually I'm using a Ventrue Sherrif based on Jack Cade as an overall villain in my current VtM Chronicle.
>>
>>54937079
Adepts of Spirit get Spirit Rank as an automatic effect, Masters of Spirit can cast Spirit Manse, and Spirit mages with Familiars can launder Essence into Mana. What more would they have to do to be part of the spirit ecosystem?
>>
>>54942593
Sssshhhhhhhh, the werefags need something to make themselves feel even a little bit better.
>>
>>54942325
Mummy and Promethean would both be great intro games if they didn't frontload all kinds of arcane shit about character creation. Tell a player new to RPGs that they have to pick one of 42 Judges and watch them lose interest as they read the descriptions.
>>
File: Porthos.png (128KB, 452x358px) Image search: [Google]
Porthos.png
128KB, 452x358px
>>54933880
Porthos Fitz-Empress, the most powerful Archmage among the Traditions. Old eccentric who is practically a god, if bordering on insanity.
>>
>>54942625
Mummy yeah, I can't even finish reading the book.

Promethean isn't as bad about it.

Choose how you were created.
Put them in one of the 5 starting philosophies.
Have them make up how they were probably killed.

The hard part is more related to choosing powers for Prommie.
>>
File: Dante_WW.gif (34KB, 439x378px) Image search: [Google]
Dante_WW.gif
34KB, 439x378px
>>54942651
>Portho
>Most powerful
Pick one
>>
>>54942676
Dante only got powerful in the end. He's also the second biggest Mary Sue after Samuel Haight.
>>
File: Tito Stencil.png (116KB, 688x965px) Image search: [Google]
Tito Stencil.png
116KB, 688x965px
>>54942006
It's a broken zippo lighter that he built a candle styled casing around. It was a memento that could shoot a ghostly flame that funneled his psyche into essentially an ethereal sword. Think Kuwabara's spirit sword from Yu Yu Hakusho though it couldn't physically cut anything. Every 2 psyche gave it 1L I think.

>>54942060
A Geist themselves or do you mean my Sin-Eater with his essentially flaming spirit sword? For the sword it was just a memento that displayed his spiritual energy as a ghostly flame just for flare since he was a pyromaniac and heavy in the pyre-flame key.

For the Geist it's just thematic to match up with the Sin-Eater I wrote up. His Geist was a waitress at a diner that died due to an accidental gas leak in the kitchen, so her flaming visage takes pieces of fire-starting kitchen equipment into itself like stovetops, butane torches, match stick teeth and fingers for what was left of her charred remains.

>>54942172
Funny enough I never played the Persona series though I was interested in picking up Persona 5

>>54942237
Well there are quite a few pictures of him around. I've drawn him personally myself since I like to draw out my characters. The last picture was one I did myself. Here's another one I did too for shits and giggles. Personally I'm a lot more of a tradition hand artist than digital. I even have art pieces of other PCs I played like my mage, demon, promethean and vampire. I even have some art for NPCs in games I run and partake in, including recently an Anakim Beast I think I posted here a few days ago.
>>
>>54942593
I mean, spirits would respect a Spirit mage, sure.
But they would still be more outsiders to the Spirit ecosystem than werewolves. Werewolves are already weirdos to the spirits, But mostly because they know they are related to Father Wolf and his dickery.

Mages don't have that. They just have rank because they stink of spiritual power.
>>
>>54942661
There should be optional rules for finishing character creation in play.
>>
>>54942593

Mages are the dirty western while imperialists of the Shadow. They come in, take control and bully everyone about. However, they are not *natives* like woofs.

>Mages, bringings civilization to the Shadow since the beginning of Time
>>
>>54942816
is that why they call it white magic
>>
Remember in 1e when woofs were spirit police?

Those were fun days
>>
>>54942607
>Sssshhhhhhhh, the werefags need something to make themselves feel even a little bit better.

According to the GenCon brochure, woofs aren't even getting a new supplement and had to share the page spotlight with Promethean.

Werewolves have really slid down the supernatural social ladder. At this rate, even Beasts will deny they're family.
>>
>>54942854
>spirit police doggo on the prowl
>sees spirit mage being a dick
>"YOU ARE UNDER ARREST"
>*dead doggo*

Yes. Yes it was fun(ny).
>>
>>54942842
>is that why they call it white magic

I'm beginning to get triggered from all the supernal privilege.

Woofs need a safe space in the Shadow free mystic imperialism.

#SpiritLivesMatter
>>
>>54942717
Could you post some of your other characters I quite like your style
>>
>>54942888

You forgot that "privilege" is a primary theme of Mage. The Wise don't follow the laws of the Shadow, and there's nothing much anyone can do about it. Shadow laws are for the little people like spirits and werewolves.
>>
File: typewriters make it spooky.png (887KB, 667x901px) Image search: [Google]
typewriters make it spooky.png
887KB, 667x901px
This cliche gets more outdated every year.
>>
>>54942717
Tito reminds me of Ryuuji from Persona 5.
>>
>>54942982
Good thing anything DaveB writes is pure awesome
>>
>>54943129
>Good thing anything DaveB writes is pure awesome

The DaveB luster has varnished since he's failed to deliver on the promised Mage FAQ and antagonist material and the delays in Signs of Sorcery.
>>
>>54943129
No wonder Deviant is being written to be underpowered.

He wouldn't want anything to take away spotlight from his magebabies.

That means Deviants will not only be weak (confirmed and intended) but be unimportant in the greater setting, and have a game that is quickly forgotten.
>>
>>54943151
Do not lose faith in the Komodo.
>>
>>54942870
>woofs aren't even getting a new supplement

That's disappointing.

Has the new edition of Forsaken not sold well?
>>
>>54943151
Relax. Dave has had a rough past year from the sound of things.
>>
>>54943165
>Do not lose faith in the Komodo.

Dave can restore my faith if Signs of Sorcery is both filled with awesomeness and released without further delays.
>>
>>54943188
What if the (possibly new) delays are because RichT has mismanaged OPP so much that everything gets held up in art direction and layout?
>>
>>54943182
Good, he deserves it.
>>
>>54943188
>released without further delays

Dave could finish the book today and we still might not see it for over a year. That's the responsibility of Rich, not Dave.
>>
>>54943212
>Good, he deserves it.

>Werewolf, Vampire and Changeling tears...
>>
>>54943228
He could have prevented this by being a half competent designer.
>>
>>54943129
Check the filename though.

"For our secret unethical experiments on human subjects, we'd better not use Microsoft Word. I got us these antique typewriters and damaged the letters so they'll look really splatty."
>>
>>54943285
What problems with his work do you have specifically?
>>
>>54943285

Mages were "supreme" well before Dave began writing for the nWOD/CofD. He just took Mage 1e, and streamlined the setting and actually made the rules thematically and mechanically consistent.

More importantly, "competent" is not defined as instituting artificial and enforced "game balance," In fact, all CofD games now reject the concept, particularly at the expense of the themes and priority of the pertinent game line.
>>
>>54943390
>What problems with his work do you have specifically?

The Anon has a case of the sads because Mages can beat the crap out of his favored splats.
>>
>>54943406
>It was like that before
Is not a good excuse for being shit at your job.
>>
>>54943501
What is he shit at?
>>
>>54943553
Anon is just whining because his favorite splat is weaker than Mage.
>>
>>54943553
Well if he was the man behind mage.
>Took all bite out of paradox.
>Took away most need to worry about resources (mana)
>Still left mages as the most powerful in every area, without any consequence for it.
>Leaving mage power design so loose that it becomes nonstop 'is that possible' arguments instead of actually playing the game.
>Lack of legacies in the main book
>Lack of Left-handed legacies in the main book
>Giant loopholes that leave even the basic games power level stuck on a high rung because.
>>
>>54943663
So the only real complaint is lack of legacies. Got it.
>>
>>54943663
>thinks paradox has less bite in 2e
>doesn't realize it's only more manageable
>>
>>54943733
Yeah, so manageable that it won't happen, like ever.
So yeah, that takes all the bite out of it.
>>
File: Dave does care.png (50KB, 1159x285px) Image search: [Google]
Dave does care.png
50KB, 1159x285px
Mage-haters, once again, have proven themselves to be complete and utter asinines.
>>
File: Dave on balance.png (32KB, 1156x280px) Image search: [Google]
Dave on balance.png
32KB, 1156x280px
Relevant
>>
>>54943663
The only real complaint is lack of Legacies in the main book. The rest are nonsensical or subjective to personal taste.
>>
>>54943749
If your ST is shit and never throws anything at them then sure.
>>
>>54943749
It does happen, if you mismanage your magic or try to go above and beyond your current abilities. Aka if you start being hubristic. It fits in perfectly with the themes of the game, and comes up far more than the bizarre Vulgar/Covert divide in 1e, which just had people avoid Vulgar magic entirely for Arcana that just didn't have Vulgar spells.
>>
>>54943841
>Complaints are subjective
Someone stop the fucking presses

Except I've seen all of those complaints about the mage books come up multiple times in these threads. Heard them personally from friends trying to play mage.

So yeah, you may not care that the game even has out of whack internal balance. But other people do.
>>
>>54943851
>>54943858
Why would you ever purposely risk more paradox than you can just absorb?
You're a mage, just find another way.

"Hey guys, I can maybe solve this problem, but because I know 3rd grade math, I can tell that I have a real risk of creating another problem entirely that we may not want right now. Sound good to you guys?"

How often is this happening in your games? Are your players actually retarded?
>>
>>54943893
A valid complaint would be that you need a level of system mastery far beyond any other game line to play and run mage. That's what most of those complaints boil down too.
>>
>>54943928
Have you never had an antagonist or plot out stripe your current abilities? Never had a time crunch where you have to instant cast? Are the games you play in just all 'downtime'?
>>
>>54943929
That's also subjective. Because what counts as 'high system mastery' differs from person to person.

Which is why saying the complaints are subjective is idiotic.
>>
>>54943928
Again, if your ST is shit and never throws anything at them.
You don't just let the Seers or the Abyss or whatever just sit back and go "Oh, you guys want another day to plan before our evil plan goes into action, yeah that's cool." Nigga you hit the Cabal with shit, Mages need proactive enemies.
>>
>>54943798
>>54943821
>Dave does care
>Proceeds to talk about how much he doesn't care

If he was trying to maintain internal balance within mage, he did a pretty shit job at that too.

Everyone knows which arcana are best, and which are trap choices.
>>
I swear. I swear go God Almighty. People only complain about balance because they're so damned biased. They hate that their preferred splat(s) is/are weaker than others.

Mage being consistently the most powerful, receives the most hatred.

I am convinced at this point. You hate it. You hate the fact that wizards crap all over vampires, werewolves and fairies. Your "complaints" are fucking excuses at this point for feeling insecure.

Would things even change if it went to the reverse? The answer is no.
>>
>>54943974
>and which are trap choices.
Which ones are those? I've always gotten great utility across the whole spread. Unless you are just uncreative and don't actually know the system, all arcana are quite good.
>>
>>54943974
Enlighten us, I'd like to see issues with the Arcana in detail.
>>
>>54943974
>Everyone knows which arcana are best
Not this again.

No Arcanum is best. They're all equally potent and entirely situational.
>>
>>54944006
I enjoy playing the weakest splat. Changeling is great and the low power levels seem to actually add to that for me.
>>
>>54944006
Why reverse it when you could... I don't know... let the other splats have power in their own realm?

It is completely idiotic that mages would be better than a spirit focused werewolf in spirit stuff. That a death focused mage would be better than a sin-eater in ghost focused stuff.

The smarter option would be to have them be very powerful when focused in those fields, but not the best. To the point that they would be respected, interesting, but still need to actually look to those communities if the problem becomes too much to them.

Wouldn't that be interesting, if a spirit problem became so big that the mages had to investigate, communicate, and bargain with local powerful spirits or powerful werewolves to solve the problem?

Oh nevermind, they are already the experts on spirits. Wow, how interesting, how deep.

I know 90% of you guys are just trolling anyway. The worst part is that I actually like Mage. I just like other game lines as well, and it sucks that they can't play along.

It has nothing to do with me hating mages. I just hate that you can't put a mage in another setting without either super nerfing the mage, pretending they are actually retarded, or having the mage take over.

I want mages in my chronicles. That's the actual tragedy. But DaveB made sure that was a bad idea. Then he masturbates over how he purposely made sure it was a bad idea, and everyone should know it.
>>
>>54944081
>Mages, jacks of all trades, masters of none

We've been through this before. It's just not thematic. It's also fucking retarded.
>>
>>54944081
So you want to make every splat special but not Mages?

You sound even worse than the magefags, friendo.
>>
>>54944126
The fact that Mages have access to every arena of play is how they are special.
>>
>>54944126
How is best at everything more special than jack of all trades?
>>
>>54944040
Changelings are way stronger than vampires and combat changeling will wrek normal werewolves
>>
>>54944175
Except Mages are both the most specialized and the least specialized of all the splats. It works out.
>>
>>54944111
Is 'master of all trades' really that much better?
>>
>>54944189
Given that they can manifest both of those splats banes at will with contracts, that makes sense.
>>
>>54944198
Gee, what's the point of 'Master' anyway?

:^)
>>
>>54944189
How do you figure for the first? I believe it about combat changelings but partially that's because I tend to shy away from making big brute characters.
>>
>>54944217
I meant in terms of being retarded and setting-disrupting
>>
muh balance
>>
>>54944261
'Why would you want this crossover setting to be conducive to crossovers? That's retarded!'
>>
muh cross-splat
>>
>>54944283
Nothing wrong with that. Everything is wrong with what >>54944081 was proposing.

I mean really. Why shouldn't the scientists/scholars of the magical world be better at a specific purview? It seems like common sense.
>>
World of Darkness? You mean World of Mages
>>
So what would have happened if the Free Council had joined with the Seers? What sort of Ministry would they have become?
>>
>>54944315
Don't you fucking dare change the subject
>>
>>54944301
Is Mage that much more powerful early game? I'd understand late game op because they've got more to grow to but do mages start at the better than everyone else level? That's how these threads make it sound
>>
>>54944325
Any subject change away from power wank is good. Hell, people could be talking about weird shit from geist or werewolf I know nothing about and it'd be more enjoyable and interesting than power level balance shitfests.
>>
>>54944315
>What sort of Ministry would they have become?
Technocracy Super-Ministry, combining Hegemony, Mammon and Panopticon Ministries?
>>
>>54943893
I haven't seen these complaints all the time and my friends don't complain about it at all, and we play Mage.
>>
>>54944357
We could be talking about interesting stuff.
But you know... DaveB isn't worried about balance.
>>
>>54944385
DaveB is off living the life in Supernal hollywood
>>
>>54944350
An apprentice spirit mage can do shit a werewolf elder can only dream of. You can start as a disciple right from chara gen
>>
Imagine: a Promethean who knows about people who've reached the new dawn, knows it's possible, discovers/sees a True Fae, and decides he'd rather than human. Good antag idea?
>>
>>54944430
I think you dropped a word.
>>
>>54944440
Be a true fae
>>
File: garbage.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>54944081
>I want Mages officially watered down for
my crossovers
>>
How are mages not the best?

They can turn your buttholes into fire for fucks sake
>>
>>54944301
Because that implies those other splats aren't scholars in their fields.
You think there aren't Sin-eaters spending all their time trying to figure out ghost stuff?
You think the shamanistic elders of the werewolves haven't devoted their lives to knowing everything they can about spirits?
You think those Changelings bordering on becoming true fae themselves haven't studied everything about Arcadia?

They are the 'scholars' in that they try to figure out how it all comes together. They are the ones able to mix and match, and figure out how the whole thing weaves into a pattern.

Every splat has their own scholars who should know more about that particular field because they are the ones who have the doctorate in X. Mages do the science trying to find the unified theory.
>>
>>54944526
Yes, every splat has a sorcerous faction. Usually.

Mages just take that to the extremes.
>>
>>54944526
>Because that implies those other splats aren't scholars in their fields.
No it doesn't.
>>
>>54944526
Changelings actually might know more about Arcadia but at that point they'd be far enough gone to have no use for that knowledge. The true fae are mad. Any changelings who learn that much about them aren't rational or sensible beings: it would still be better to deal with a comparatively sane Mage.
>>
>>54944607
I agree mages are just better and smarter than the elders of other splats. They aren't known as the Wise for nothing
>>
>>54944526
Werewolves are to studing spirits
in the same way that
studying how microsoft word runs on the front end compares to looking at the source code and changing it.
Sure you can do the same things, but one of these is at the fundamental level of the process, and another is merely how it operates.
>>
>>54944607
>I spent a lot of time and effort to get here, learning all the ways of the Fae.
"Oh, really? Huh, that's like apprentice level for us. But don't worry, I still respect your knowledge in the field. I just don't need you or your information to solve any and all problems related to what you know."
>>
>>54944642
Similarly: A sailor might be better at steering a boat than a nautical engineer but he sure as shit doesn't know more about the boat. More practical knowledge doesn't mean more total knowledge.
>>
>>54944681
>studying the fae
If anything it's a good thing that mages know more in that circumstance: A mental health professional is better at treating schizophrenia than a person who has schizophrenia, which is basically their respective relationships with Arcadia.
>>
>>54944631
Go false flag somewhere else, please. Mages' shtick isn't "I know everything". It's "I want to know everything about X,Y,Z". An Apprentice of Spirit might be able to do things a Werewolf Elder can't, but does he know more? No. Is he stronger? No. Is he more in tune with Spirits? No. Do you even have to have Mages in your setting and if you do, is there a rule saying you can only use them as they are in RAW? No.

>>54944681
Hyperbole isn't an argument. An Apprentice of Fate doesn't know all the ways of the Fae or would know more than a Changeling who has studied them exhaustively.

All these pointless tears over just the potential of Mages' in their own game. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>54944747
It isn't just Mage's game, is the problem.
>>
>>54944764
Yes, it is. Other books might have snippets of crossover information, as they all do, but is there anything making you use Mages at all? Is there anything keeping you from changing them to suit your tastes and needs for you game? No.
>>
>>54944806
Not everyone wants to mutilate the setting as their needs dictate.

There is an audience who likes the game setting as a whole, and those people want to have the related population of every splat still be present, even when their game isn't the focus.

That isn't a problem with any of the other splats. Beasts, Mummies, Prometheans, Geists, Werewolves, Changelings, can all be present in their normal population numbers in any setting and it doesn't throw off writing a chronicle.

So why do we just have to ignore that mages exist?
>>
>>54944850
Because you don't know the rules or understand how their culture works to properly integrate them. I've never had any problems populating a game world with a wide variety of super natural NPCs, any problems you've run into are likely a lack of skill or knowledge.
>>
>>54944879
Sweet, so you don't have an argument. Awesome.
>>
>>54944315
Their members would have scattered to the existing ministries. Libertines who joined the Seers for the promise of power would join subgroups like the Panopticon for the promise of MORE power.
>>
>>54944897
I've never had to change the setting to make them work, you claim they don't fit but provide no examples or sources on problems you've ran into, you didn't provide and argument. You just made a statement.
>>
>>54944454
Hello Centimanus with a Wasteland in the Hedge.
>>
Hey Legacy anon, did you ever get around to finishing the Cwwn Awnn?
>>
>>54944922
Did... did you just enter the thread when you made your previous post or something?

Is this selective reading, or purposeful ignorance?
>>
>>54944938
>creates pandorans who resemble Hobgoblins
>attempts to make spawn from changelings
>disquiet literally forces people around him to buy into his crazy fairytale with him as the villain
>>
>>54944959
>Magic societies clash with each other when their goals touch on similar fronts.
This appears to be the only thing you've said. Which is how the game works, and doesn't cause problems. You keep whining about them being better, not bringing up where it actually impacted a game. In play its not a problem unless you make every NPC in your game have the exact same goals as the PCs, rather than tangential ones.
>>
>>54944747
Nobody said anything about apprentices, specifically. A Master of Spirit is probably going to outstrip an Uratha Elder by a reasonable magnitude, in both knowledge and power.
>>
File: 1491784734645.png (192KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
1491784734645.png
192KB, 501x445px
>>54944850
>muh crossover
>things should be how *I* want, for everyone else
>i want to invite mages to my monster mash, pls officially nerf them, change their fluff, and mutilate their game for this purpose
>my every want and desire should be catered to and i shouldn't have to employ any effort or creativity at all
>>
File: 4.png (600KB, 1097x617px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
600KB, 1097x617px
>>54941940
Now, if Purified Guys 1 and 2 turn up we can sticky tape them all together and force them to breed.
>>
>>54943096
That the guy with the half skull mask? Saw a picture of him and yeah I can definitely see some similarities.

>>54942975
Well here's my Demon the Fallen character. The Muse of Music, Chemosh. This is probably the fanciest picture I have of him.
>>
>>54945015
>Nobody said anything about apprentices, specifically.
This whole thing is because of a book saying "apprentice mages can do things even elder uratha can't", or something along those lines.
>>
>>54945096
Fuck off /pol/
>>54945015
A disciple of spirit is better at spirit magic than a boneshadow itheaur elder
>>
File: Chemosh.jpg (87KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Chemosh.jpg
87KB, 600x800px
>>54945099
Forgot the image
>>
>>54945189
>Everything is /pol/.jpg.png
Anon I know we're on /wodg/ but the autism isn't a requirement.
>>
File: 0xywaktzflez.jpg (135KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
0xywaktzflez.jpg
135KB, 800x800px
>>54942978
>theme adherant analysis

REEEEEEE
>>
>>54944585
I'm just waiting for the Ordo Dracul to have Blood Tenebrous or Palatine Sorcery as a covenant discipline to make the others completely obsolete.
>>
>>54945224
Woah that is pretty spooky
>>
File: Well done.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Well done.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>54945224
Nigga we need an art dump. This is good stuff.
>>
New books announced at GenCon:

>Requiem alt-setting where the Masquerade is down (didn't catch the title)
>Werewolf the Forsaken - Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon
>Mage the Awakening - Fallen Worlds
>Promethean the Created - Night Horrors : The Tormented
>Changeling the Lost - Kith and Kin
>Changeling 2e KS probably in October
>Hunter the Vigil - Fiction Anthology and Eternal Flame
>Geist the Sin-Eaters - might get a KS in 2018 if Changeling KS does well
>Mummy: The Curse - focusing on smoothing out the game's rough edges for 2e, lead dev unknown at this time
>Demon: The Descent - Night Horrors: Cryptids
>Deviant has a 40 page writer's bible, the most elaborate writer's bible ever written

>OPP will now always have a text written BEFORE doing a KS, learning from Dark Eras 2.

>Matthew Dawkins is developing The Contagion Chronicle, formerly The Crossover Chronicle
>heavily influenced by Crisis on Infinite Earths, He-Man Christmas Special
>Contagion is a breakdown of the CofD universe
>Corrupts Infrastructure, creates strange monsters
>Infects splats, Contagion mutated templates are a thing
>Interstitial Territory from Horror Recognition Guide is seeping through due to the Contagion
>Not a default crossover setting
>>
>>54945505
I think that should solve most people's problems with Contagion Chronicle's pitch. I'm hype.

What do we know about Dawkins?
>>
>>54945505
No more Crossover Chronicle?

KEK
>>
File: Danny_F_P.jpg (65KB, 239x179px) Image search: [Google]
Danny_F_P.jpg
65KB, 239x179px
>>54945505
>Geist is at the mercy of fucking rape surviving fairies
Cut my life into pieces
>>
>>54945505
>writing the book before selling it
It's a bold strategy
>>
>>54945569
Sometimes the insane plans pay off, anon
>>
Part 2:

>Contagion Crossover is not a single book. It is a line.
>Chronicles of Darkness: Innocents, Second Edition is confirmed.
>No Dark Eras 3
>Instead, Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Shards, an alternate setting anthology
>>
>>54945641
At, so a new version of mirrors. I'm down
>>
>>54945505
>>54945641
>Be Demonfag
>Be running a D:tD game where the Exarchs finally severed the Supernal from the Fallen world and the GM shelled itself around the universe to keep the Abyss out.
>Anon here asks "Well how is the Abyss going to interact with the GM"
>I have no idea
>Contagion Chronicle is announced and looks to be just what I needed.
>If my game doesn't implode before 2032 when the book comes out I'll be able to use it.
>>
>>54932179
Because it takes a lot of questions out of everything, and also having a confirmed deity is boring. "So why is there life? Why are their vampires? Is there a god? Is there life after death?" "God-Machine said so. Again, god-machine said so. Yes, it is a giant computer that works in mysterious and dickish ways. Probably not, doesn't seem like something the god-machine would waste resources on."

The main problem also is that the true source of power is known. It is a giant super computer. If that was up in the air it would be fine. "No one really knows. Could be elder gods, aliens, elves, wizards, giant super computers, a benevolent god that has limited resources ect."
>>
Upon being asked if OPP could just buy CofD and Exalted outright:

>Do you have several million dollars we could borrow?

Apparently it was discussed, but they decided that it wouldn't make sense to buy some or all of White Wolf's non-WoD IPs.
>>
>>54945794
The God-Machine isn't the sole supreme being of the setting though. There's multiple.
>>
>>54945794
I don't think that is the right way to look at it.

Even in the God-Machine chronicles and Demon, the how, why, and what of the GM is left up in the air.

It isn't an answer to all the questions, it is a medium to write the questions.

Instead of 'Why is there a Blink dog terrorizing this forest.' which has many answers. You have that same question, but you have an answer that can be part of a greater conspiracy, without relying on one of the other game lines.

Like, if I'm making a Mage or Werewolf game, I only think of the GM as a side option. Typically the Seers, some weird supernal mystery, spirits, the idigam, the pure, whatever is to blame. But to throw players off the easy answer, you can sprinkle in some GM shenanigans.

Especially since the GM seems to seek to understand, replicate, or manipulate stuff. So you can have a story where a cult somehow summons a spirit god. But instead of it just being a Spirit thing, maybe there is some greater conspiracy at work, maybe someone lead that to happen because of some larger plan that could lead to a bigger big bad down the line.

I don't know. I've never worried about the GM providing answers. That seems to be the last thing it does. It definitely didn't create the universe, it definitely didn't create the creeps, and it definitely doesn't have some coherent plan.
>>
File: Czar Vargo.jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Czar Vargo.jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>54933880
Czar motherfucking Vargo. The man who conquered the world. For those who don't know the story

>Year is around 1900 AD, pacifist scientist with Victorian ideals seeks to benefit mankind by creating a device that generates endless electricity.
>Unveils it at the World's Fair, Technocracy shits all over it, weapon demonstrations dominate the show.
>Bitter at mankind only wanting to make weapons, goes into exile, content to work on his pet projects in secret.
>World War 1 breaks out
>A world conference [later blotted from history] is held in London.
>Vargo crashes the conference by floating an entire fleet of steampunk airships over the city, declaring himself the Czar of Terra and ruler of the world by right of superior Science, intent on stopping the Great War almost before it began.
>World leaders attack the fleet, but Vargo remotely deactivates all their weaponry and vehicles with pseudo-EMPs and demands their surrender, all without killing a single person.
>The Technocracy freaks out, launches an army of robots at Vargo's ships, he blasts them to piece, world leaders send Vargo a written admission of their surrender.
>Not willing to give up, the Technocracy sends in gene-modified super soldiers to take out Vargo.
>Unwilling to kill, even to save Mankind, Vargo and his ships flee up and into the aether, vanishing from sight.
>The NWO works overtime covering up all memory of the event.

What happened next is a bit of a mystery. Some say Czar Vargo and his ships were consumed by Paradox, erased from the timeline for his sheer Taftani-esq audacity. Others say Vargo is still out there, panning the skies, waiting for humanity to come around.

Pic unrelated, but how I generally imagine him. Hard to beat the man who tried to Gurren Lagann the fucking Technocracy by just floating up and saying "This whole Ascension War thing? Its done. Mankind is free, piss off Techies."
>>
>>54945990
A good example of why the Union is so full of shit. They don't care about humanity. They never did.
>>
>>54945990
He probably joined the other more powerful Archmages living in the Deep Umbra after realizing how futile of an endeavor saving humanity is.

Humanity is naturally doomed. Better to just acknowledge it and become a god of your own self.
>>
>>54945990
Glorious.
>>
>>54946048

Time of Judgement build-up timeline implied that he came back to evacuate people before the world ended, if I remember right.
>>
>>54946021
Not necessarily. Its just they betrayed their ideals. They wanted to free mankind from an oppressive clique of old farts obsessed with cosmic minutiae [the Order of Hermes] by bringing power and knowledge to the masses but then became an oppressive clique of old farts obsessed with cosmic minutiae.

Somewhere along the line the Technocracy stopped caring that the world was better, and started caring that it was secure and safe [and under their control]. Infinite free energy means the Technocracy can't use limited energy sources to control people.
>>54946048
I think he shows up in one of the End Time scenarios and saves a bunch of people, and then in another End Time scenario to help the other sons of ether stop a demon meteor.

I like the story because its some grandoise last act of defiance, like something out of the Protomen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpSHC1dqX1o
>>
What WAS the canonical year of the Ascension book, anyway? I thought it was 1999, but I just looked up the Czar and find him encountered in 2012 by time travellers.
>>
>>54946327

2003-2004. Clearly the Czar just jumped into the CofD and the time travellers followed him there and never realized it.

In all seriousness, though, the Time of Judgement was probably always a floating point in the timeline before the Red Star pinned it down, so the time travellers then simply went down a time stream where ToJ occurred later than 2012.
>>
File: Gretel.jpg (167KB, 831x961px) Image search: [Google]
Gretel.jpg
167KB, 831x961px
>>54945347
>>54945373

Here's my Galatea Promethean. A german cabaret dancer in post WWI that died in a car accident while on tour. A fan of her show discovered the wreck a while later and tried to rebuild her. Due to the amount of damage he had to replace much of the organs and bits and due to a lack of preserved skin he basically stuffed it in a porcelain mold. Through experimentation he brought her back to life as "Gretel". Basically she was a big life sized porcelain doll with metal joints and glitchy quirks. Every night around midnight she'd basically go blank and her body would re-enact a performance from cabaret shows related to that day of the week and then she would continue on with whatever she was doing.

Yes there was a Hansel, but he was an NPC centimani antagonist of the game she was in.
>>
>>54946371
Huh. Well, never knew about the Czar, and going out with two raised middle fingers to the technocracy is about the best thing someone from oWoD could have done to cement their place in the pantheon of 'awesome'.

Excepting maybe the Big Three Euthanatos (Voormas/Senex/the Unnamed), but one of those is just too lazy to actually die and the other two are out to stick their big, pulsing magical cock into the inner parts of the universe. So balls to that.
>>
>>54946386
What a cutie
>>
>>54946451
I'm a little disappointed that we only got to see so very few of the really powerful Archmages in the oWoD setting.

Not even Exemplars have been named. A shame, that. We only know they exist.
>>
>>54946484
Eh. oWoD's archmagi were even more alien than nWoD's. I think just leaving them 'blank' and having the Unnamed realise that "Oh, shit, there's a pile of them *right fucking there*" and running was probably the best thing that could have been done for them.
>>
File: 397d2e1f9e7f003154122ebc9c400576.jpg (160KB, 1279x959px) Image search: [Google]
397d2e1f9e7f003154122ebc9c400576.jpg
160KB, 1279x959px
>>54946451
>>54946484
>>54946506
I think they're a little too powerful personally, at least for my campaign. I don't like the idea of a large group of cosmic gods basically doing a Mexican Standoff. At least not in Ascension, because I prefer to believe the Technocracy's stranglehold on earth is more precarious then it appears.

And Archmages kind of gunk that up. Instead I just rip out a ton of the Paradox age restrictions for Mages, so more masters are old as balls. I also fold a few of the weaker Sphere 6+ abilities into Sphere Rank 5, so a Master can blow up a city if he's motivated enough.

For instance in my setting the strongest Hermetic isn't Porthos [who does not exist] but rather John Dee.
>>
>>54945505
>New books announced at GenCon:

That's way too much "Night Horror."

I'm also even less enthused about The Contagion Chronicles than before.

>Contagion is a breakdown of the CofD universe

WTF? Instead of actually helping resolve crossover issues and encourage productive play with the actual setting, the brain trust at OPP has decided to just blow-up the CofD.
>>
>>54946580
All fluffffffffff no good rulessssssssssss I knew it.
>>
NO MORE CROSSOVER CHRONICLES

YOU LOSE ANTI-MAGEFAGS
>>
>>54945505
>New books announced at GenCon:

Are you attending GenCon?

Can you give any more details?
>>
>>54946632

Apparently Fallen Worlds is going to have a bunch of crossover rules, since it's about going to all the realms of the CofD like the Underworld and the Shadow. If Contagion isn't a major source of crossover rules, a Mage sourcebook probably will. No worries.
>>
>>54946580
So it's the monster mash metaplot that nobody wanted?
>>
>>54946575
Their stranglehold *is* more precarious than it appears. They've got a rough handhold on the basics. Everything anyone actually wants to use is paradoxical as fuck. I get what you mean about the 'too powerful', but I disagree mainly because the further they get into Archmastery the less they actually give a shit. It's less a mexican standoff and more "Huh? What? Oh, right. World ending problem only I can solve. I'll get right on that.". Two months later half a billion people are dead and someone finally got around to fixing it instead of fucking around trying to work out how to use magic to eat their dinner without cooking it first.
>>
>>54946669

No, Darker Days just put out a recording of the OPP panel for White Wolf IPs and I transcribed most of the CofD stuff. On the WoD side, Ghost Hunters is an Orpheus Device tie-in.
>>
>>54946669
>Are you attending GenCon?
And more importantly, will you swing by the Shadowrun booth and shit on the desk?
>>
>>54945505
>a new hunter book
O lawdy
>>
>>54946679

Anything else on the third Mage supplement, Fallen Worlds?

>When might it be released 2025?
>>
>>54946700
>mfw love SR but hate the devs so fucking much

Put out the fucking Technomancer book and stop jerking off your OC's you hack frauds
>>
>>54946694

Darker Days Podcast

http://podcast.darker-days.org/
>>
>>54946683
Which is another thing I don't like, the idea that every archmage is deep in Quiet, instead of just eccentric or alien in viewpoint.

The core concept of Mage is "define your own reality", so I've modified the setting for my campaign to make alot of that easier.

I nixed archmages but buffed Masters.

I nerfed the hell out of most stronger Umbral entities to be near the level of the new Masters mechanically.

I made the Umbra simpler in concept and easier to travel through and between.

Kind of narrowed the power level chart overall to make the players actions more potentially impacting, while still keeping a large hierarchy of big wigs above them on both sides [Tradition and Technocracy].

Oh and I changed Paradox mechanics so that Vulgar with Witnesses uses the Revised Rules [so buckets of the stuff] but Vulgar without Witnesses does not exist [that is, if nobody sees you flying or shooting lightning, the universe doesn't give a shit]. Also nixxed Paradox Spirits because I thought their role was covered sufficiently well by the Technocracy in terms of "policing magic".

Instead most paradox is damage, quiet, or other specific to the PC faults.

>For instance last session one of the PCs was mind controlled by a villain, so one PC paralyzed him and the other stepped into the Umbra. Paradox was triggered by the second PC, and he was a Time Hermetic so time reversed back to before he was in the Near Umbra and the mind controlled PC was paralyzed, so they got attacked.
>>
>>54946758
They have coke to do, bathrooms to remodel and writers to torment. Anyone who performs wrongthink under Bull and Pat's glorious new regime must be shot. Or fired. One of the two.
>>
>>54946785
>Vulgar without Witnesses does not exist

That, uh, sort of changes a fairly massive tenet of the Earth based universe.

I get why you did it, because Paradox is a motherfucker, but yeouch.
>>
Guys dont worry, all these books wont be out till 2035 so there is no point getting your knickers in a twist about them now.
>>
>>54946828
They'll probably all get delayed till then in art direction and layout.
>>
>>54946828
But a Hunter Book called Eternal Flame sounds metal as fuck, like I'm gonna go Barbarian on some Werewolves.
>>
>>54946827
I changed a fair bit of the cosmology like I said, to focus more on the Consensual Reality concept over ideas like the Metaphysical Trinity or the Werewolf Lore that goes into the Umbra [since I don't really use Werewolf].

Instead I made the Umbra more belief-focused, so instead of elementals and concept-spirits its full of entities from mythology like angels, djinn, demons, etc [which I realize existed in degrees in the core setting too, but in mine they're more prominent].

The idea I have going is that public uses of magic garners the attention of the Technocracy pretty quickly, so between that and the threat of Paradox, the PCs have mostly kept their powers out of the limelight.
>>
>>54946895
Yeah, but paradox without witnesses being removed sort of implies there is a static reality and then there's consensus ontop of that, instead of whatever was jammed onto the early universe by the Fallen and God and whoever else and then left in the hands of Man.
>>
What can Caine do that Archmages can't?
>>
>>54946950
Get shit on by god.
>>
>>54946950
Have a cooler sounding name.
>>
>>54946950
Not lock himself out of the universe by mistake.
>>
>>54946950
I really want to voice my opinion that Caine is stronger than any Archmage, but I know I'm just going to get attacked for it.
>>
File: b2e7.jpg (261KB, 1024x1391px) Image search: [Google]
b2e7.jpg
261KB, 1024x1391px
>>54945505
Is there any other news about Geist 2e besides the kickstarter thing?

>>54946386
Here I actually have a character from a homebrew Deviant game we did 2 years ago when the game got announced. Took place in an underground facility outside of China in the future. This character was an homeless italian girl from the 1980s that got taken from the streets by an organization and cryogenically frozen. She had been mindwiped like all the other patients there. The experiments they did to her basically made her an timid unstable telekinetic with amnesia.
>>
Probably more /v/ related, but -

Does anyone else think that a CofD augmented/mixed reality game has a lot of potential?

>setting revolves around the idea of seeing through the thin veil of normality around oneself
>recent advances in computer vision means tetherless, inside-out tracking, all-in-one mixed-reality headsets are just around the corner (Intel Alloy, etc.)
>Apple ARkit demos show ability to map real world environments as point clouds in real time, allowing trippy shit like skittering creatures that actually follow the terrain and visual effects that constrain to real world geometry (particle showers that bounce off walls and roll along floors, for example)
>mind's eye theater practically synonymous with the LARP scene in north america
>>
>>54947045
What a pussy.
>>
>>54947045
No one will care, because it is owod.
>>
>>54947045
Oh no, people will disagree with you on a Nepalese macaroni art board. Just give us your best case for it you shy faggot.
>>
>>54947045
Probably because you're wrong. At least regarding the upper echelons of power.

The strongest of Archmages can(potentially) pull off some ridiculous feats.
>>
>>54947059
Do you have pics of your mage?
>>
>>54947059
Great in theory, but the execution of such an idea would cost massive amounts of cash, would pretty much require someone who knows both WoD and has access to venture capital. Which doesn't seem to be anyone but swedracula at this point.
>>
>>54947096
Meant to reply to>>54947058
>>
How many dots in Death do I need to make a deathly calm/haunting that makes people in the area spooked.
How many dots do I need so I can simulate some of the effects of soul loss without removing the soul from the subject
>>
>>54947161
2 dots could give you a tilt/condition.
>>
>>54947161
what if I want to literally want to haunt an area so that so that creatures under the purview of Death would be attracted to it
>>
>>54947086
Antediluvians can shift tectonic plates, assimilate life of entire countries and dominate them all the same. Tremere made a ritual that could mind control all minds on earth. I'm not saying they're not powerful but high level vampires are AT LEAST a match for archmages.
>>
>>54947214
3, but you'd want to make it indefinite. Be creating a resonant condition. Possibly need spirit instead.
>>
Alright CofD/WoDg, I've got a very important question for you.

What is the dumbest skill specialty you can think of?
>>
File: maged.jpg (211KB, 679x952px) Image search: [Google]
maged.jpg
211KB, 679x952px
>>54947143
I have two mages, one's a space mage I had back in Ascension. A blind short farmgirl from Georgia. Her awakening caused her blindness at around the age of 14. The experience reasonably messed up a girl that lived a sheltered life on the farm.

She went pretty crazy over the course of the campaign. One player kept pushing her buttons by being a completely retarded sociopath constantly and broke the last straw when the character finally went back to her farm and reunited with her parents after years of being separated. Her parents ended up getting killed in the same day so I figured the only reasonable response was to use space and vacuum the land with everyone on it into space.

Didn't quite work as planned and paradox ended up blasting my ass out of the atmosphere. While permadox I was accumulating started turning the character into cosmic freak of nature that was basically a little self contained universe. (The DM tended to go a bit Hollywood extreme with everything he did)
>>
>>54947266
Internet Forums
>>
>>54947348
>Who is this titty monster
>>
>>54947266
>Craft: Crochet
>>
>>54947143
>>54947348

Second mage of mine was basically a Mage the Awakening multiverse counterpart to the last mage. Actually she's a character I'm playing a the moment.

Basically a girl from Jersey that moved to the west and dropped college because of a scam agency telling her they could give her a musical career and deal if she moved to the west coast.

Pretty bitter and broken from the ruse she moved into Arizona working as a barista for not-starbucks and living alone in an apartment, too embarrassed and ashamed to move back to the east coast. She's been dealing with constant visions in her sleep while images and overlays of an alternate earth keep flickering around her.

Only played two sessions with her so far.
>>
File: sibyl.png (155KB, 362x613px) Image search: [Google]
sibyl.png
155KB, 362x613px
>>54947391
She had a notable bust to play off jokes of trying to get away not getting paradox around sleepers by using pocket dimension hyperspace cleavage as a rote.

>>54947462
Fuck I forgot the image again
>>
>>54947462
Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>54947581
Nobody cares about your fanfic Tod
>>
>>54947581
I care.

Keep up the storytime anon.
>>
To recap all the CofD Gen Con news:

>Mummy and Innocents are getting 2e updates
>Vampire is getting a book about lost clans, weird bloodlines, and non-Kindred vamps, and another one about what happens when the Masquerade is broken that's meany to be a full chronicle
>Werewolf is getting a Night Horrors books about Ghost Wolves, Bale Hounds, and The Pure
>Mage is getting a book called Fallen Worlds about the Shadow, Underworld, and Lower Depths
>Changeling is getting a book about new Kiths and building your own
>Demon is getting a Night Horrors book about Cryptids
>Dark Shards is going to be a thing, like Dark Eras but for alternate settings -"vampires in space" got mentioned a lot
>>
>>54947664
>all news

NO mention of crossover chronicles/contagion chronicles
>>
>>54947743
Contagion chronicles was brought up in a previous post, anon.
>>54945505
>>
>>54947743

Sorry, forgot that:

>Contagion chronicles is mentioned as something infecting the Infrastructure of the world and causing the fabric of reality to break down, tying into some of the material from the Horror Recognition Guide for Hunter 1e
>it's up to the supernaturals to survive, fix, or exploit these circumstances
>scales up from personal stories to apocalyptic ones
>>
>>54945505

Also of note: Werewolf has seen a dearth of content because it lost it's dev over a year ago.
>>
>>54947266
Anything excessively broad, like Firearms: Shooting or Survival: Outdoors.
>>
>>54947776
And they haven't filled the slot in a whole year?
Or they recently filled it and the ship is just still righting itself?
>>
>>54947794
They cant find anybody who wants to write it.
>>
>>54947808
That seems unlikely. even if just to rise up within OP, someone should jump on the chance.
>>
>>54947808

Is Chris still alive? Give it to him, he was the best anyway.
>>
>>54947917
>>
>>54942060
In first, 4 of the 11 or so Keys (power themes, usually keyed to death and its resonance) had to do with classical elements. They used Occult for dice pools, and usually had same-y oddly implemented mechanics distinct from the other Keys. In true Geist form, they can use those keys for a lot of power
>>
>>54944313
I kinda want to see a game where for whatever reason, demons and mages have a go at each other.
>>
>>54949292
The entirety of both gamelines? Mages win.
>>
>>54949370
No, no-I was thinking of group of mages and a cabal of demons from nWOD bumping into each other at the same time their archenemies bump into each other. Like some Seers poking at a big Infrastructure because they thought it was a present from an Exarch.

I know Mage can eventually beat all the other pslats, but I've always thoght nWOD Demons would probably have the most interesting, prolonged defeat since their own causality manipulation might let them blindside regular mages, and at least go down swinging against Archmages
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.