[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you guys tried doing a tabletop via a chat program. No set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: bebop.jpg (37KB, 446x299px) Image search: [Google]
bebop.jpg
37KB, 446x299px
Have you guys tried doing a tabletop via a chat program. No set time, players can respond ic with their phones/computer at their convenience. I've been thinking of doing this with a couple of friends using Traveller. I feel like a Cowboy Bebop style game would translate well to this style. Anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this?
>>
>>54920613

I play a lot of games online, but honestly I feel like the 'post when you like'/play by email style doesn't really work a lot of the time.

It can very easily end up with one or two active people completely dominating it while someone else with less time to post or who doesn't check it as regularly just gets left behind and ends up lost and disengaged.
>>
>>54920613
On mobile so sorry for any typos

I mod a few people on discord with dark heresy 2e

Did both slow paced playby post with people of different tz AND a faster paced same tz one where we played like an hour.or two - people would pop in if they saw activity in the game chatroom, no premeditated time

I belI've you will find that slow pbp ultimately dies down due to the sheer crawl of the narestive

Combat lasts ten years

Do fast paced one with ppl of similar tz if you want to pbp
>>
>>54920613
I've done it a couple of times, It depends on the people involved. If one person gets lazy and slow with their posts it slows everything down for everyone and gets pretty frustrating.
I find having a rule like at least 1 post a day works pretty well.
One of my all time favourite games was played purely through a forum.
>>
>>54920613
I wouldnt use any rules. More of a free flowing story telling thing.
If you have to use rules use fate
>>
>>54920613
Couple of things to take note:
1) Use a quick combat resolution system. Any system that takes more than three rounds to resolve things is right out, because in the context of a play by post game that you describe, each round essentially equates to a single day, or maybe half a day if you have an especially dedicated group. Seriously, unless you enjoy combat taking half a month to resolve, don't run highly detailed battles with dedicated turn orders or a battlemap.

2) Have a fallback plan if someone decides to drop out, and it will happen. Whether is it taking control of their character or giving each character an exit plan where they can just sit out for an extended amount of time, have a back up plan so you don't get caught with your pants down. PBP tends to take place over a long period of time, and eventually someone will get disinterested with the game and drop out, either quietly or abruptly. Have a plan for when this happens.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.