[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean when a card sais "mana abilities"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170816_235438465.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170816_235438465.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
What does it mean when a card sais "mana abilities"?
Like tapping lands and generating mana?
Or is it mean that for example I can pay mana to activate an enchantment or a creature ability?
>>
File: mana ability.png (32KB, 814x307px) Image search: [Google]
mana ability.png
32KB, 814x307px
Here you go, anon.
>>
>>54915359
Mana ability is everything that's written as "[Soemthing] : Add X to your mana pool".
So tapping land for mana is a mana ability, tapping manadorks too, saccing a dude to ashnod/phrexian altar, and even "Selvala, Explorer returned" has a mana ability.
>>
>>54915458
Why would split second allow mana abilities to be denied..
But I guess with your selvala example, you can win 1 life before getting hit by the 2 damage...
>>
>>54915564
Split Second doesn't stop mana abilities.
>>
>>54915843
I understood that, I just don't know why it would matter if it did of not. Because even if you get the mana you can't spend it on stuff...
I guess maybe to get the mana if you are going to loose your resource and use it in that turn
>>
>>54916029
You can spend the mana on non-activated abilties that require mana. For example Morph, which is a static ability.
>>
>>54916029
>>54916106
And also, it allows you to activate mana abilities in response to the permanent having them being destroyed so you can cast your spells after the split second card has resolved.
>>
>>54916106
It's actually a special ability, not a static one.
It doesn't use the stack, which is why you can use it response to a split second spell.
>>
File: no.png (15KB, 666x131px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
15KB, 666x131px
>>54916484
>>
>>54916484
>It doesn't use the stack, which is why you can use it response to a split second spell.
Also no. The reason it can be used in response to split second is because it's explicitly not an activated ability or a spell, which are the only two things that split second actually stops. Triggered abilities still go on the stack in response to split second cards, for example, which is why Voidmage Apprentice can counter split second cards.
>>
>>54916607
>>54916570
You gotta learn the rules. Morph is a static ability, but unmorphing is a special action. I never said anything about the triggered abilities when unmorphed, just that unmorphing doesn't use the stack.

702.36e Any time you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control with a morph ability face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 115). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.
>>
>>54916699
'Special action' in this case simply means that it isn't an activated ability; it's part of the static ability that is morph. There are no 'special abilities' in the game.
>>
When you CAST a card for it's morph cast, it's a static ability.

When you turn a morph card face up, it's a special action that doesn't use the stack and can't be responded to. I think this is because the cost to be unmorphed must be verified which means they would have to be turned face up regardless.

However, most morph cards have a triggered ability that occurs when it is turned face up. These would go on the stack even when there is a spell with split second on the stack.
>>
>>54916699
>just that unmorphing doesn't use the stack.
Which, again, is irrelevant as it isn't the reason that split second doesn't stop it.
>>
>>54916699
You beat me (>>54916745) to it.

>>54916728
It's literally referred to as a special action in the rules. Rules 115 is a whole section dedicated to special actions. Playing a land is a special action.
>>
>>54916728
Do you seriously want to argue semantics over my word choice of ability instead of action in my first post? Do you get all huffy is someone uses play instead of cast?
Turning a creature face up is a special action that doesn't use the stack. Any abilities that trigger due to the morphing are a different matter, which is why it get's under Split Second.
>>
>>54916805
>It's literally referred to as a special action in the rules.
Yes, special action, not special ability which was what >>54916484 said. Special actions aren't their own form of abilities in the game, it's just a term used for actions that function irregularly, such as unmorphing a creature which looks like an activated ability but in fact is simply part of a static ability.
>>
File: 45.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>54916029
Triggered abilities can go on the stack even with a split second spell on it, and the way it's worded lets you pay mana for them
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.