[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we see homebrew spells often? They seem a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: hidamari question.gif (168KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
hidamari question.gif
168KB, 480x270px
Why don't we see homebrew spells often? They seem a lot harder to fuck up and easier to balance. I've had players ask me for a bunch of ridiculously convuluted races and classes and shit but not even one has been like "can I replace fireball with iceball" or something
>>
>>54913977
Grouped moved onto M&M and Savage Worlds ages ago. Homebrewing spells comes part and parcel with those systems.
>>
>>54913977
Making simple switches to elemental type is one thing, but most players are really bad at guessing how much power a spell should have for its level. It's easy to say, yeah, iceball does 10d6 ice damage, but what level should a spell that allows the caster to hide in a pocket dimension with no chance of detection for a long period of time be? Back in a 3.5 game I had some guy try to make a spell like that second level, not understanding the impact it had on adventure structure.
>>
>>54914118
Make it so they make the spell desc and you determine the level of spell it is if it gets to that point
>>
>>54914142
Sorry, I was making a joke by describing Rope Trick, a famously badly balanced spell in 3.5 My point is that optimizers would have to work hard to break spells harder than they already are in many systems, and that races and classes are much easier to make *seem balanced* while providing longer-term benefits. Sorry for being deliberately arcane.
>>
>>54914002
Too bad fun doesn't
>>
>>54913977

> They seem a lot harder to fuck up and easier to balance.

wut...wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Also probably because all combinations of dice are covered by the base game, so all that remains is utility. In general, utility is boring to many players
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.