[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, has your GM ever thrown an unsolved mystery at you? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: USM.jpg (121KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
USM.jpg
121KB, 900x500px
Guys, has your GM ever thrown an unsolved mystery at you? I don't mean in a "Oh boy I read this on /x/ and now this will be the theme of my next sci fi horror adventure!" kind of way, I mean legit just put in something that was unexplainable given the current universes' rules?

>We're playing a very slow paced medieval low-fantasy campaign, involved with politics and what not
>Long story short, we've "pissed off" the king of a neighboring country
>Read: He was using a pretext to try and steal our ore reserves
>He assembles his army and brings them to bare
>Our battle begins tomorrow after dawn
>Tomorrow comes
>We've been psyching up the troops all night, the wizard using the last bit of his magic to make sure our king doesn't die, the cleric working in the kitchen, the rogue teaching the children how to fight dirty and protect the women, etc.
>We're prepared for our all out battle
>Noon comes
>We're still waiting
>What the fuck is going on?
>Should we attack anyways?
>Wait, some guy is coming out with a white flag and a baffled look on his face
>He's some no-name private
>Fighter: "Why are you not prepared for battle? What's going on?"
>Soldier: "That's the thing. We don't know either. All of our chain of command is missing"
>Rogue: "They ran away?"
>Soldier: "No, their horse, gear, food, it's all still here. Even their clothing is still here. If they ran off, they ran off butt naked in the middle of the night"
>Rogue: "ALL of them?"
>Yep. All of them. All the captains, the lieutenants, the prince, and the king. Gone
>Some of their clothing is torn. Others are lying in their mattress making a rough outline of how they slept, sometimes with a strange powder/ash in their bedding
>Wizard can't detect a single trace of magic
>Cannot identify the powder at all.
>We're all spooked as shit.
>DM is just grinning like a bastard.
We're still not sure if this was preplanned or if he was ejecting the plot somehow. We do know he loves supernatural shit though.
>>
Doppelgangers.
>>
>>54883821
What about them?
>>
>>54883712
What do you mean "I don't know if this was preplanned". Of course it was. This is what we in the business refer to as a 'plot hook'. You're supposed to go find out what happened to these people.
>>
>>54884404
This ^^^^

Thread/
>>
>>54883712
Obviously the rapture happened and only the just men were taken up.

Which explains why the PCs are still around.
>>
>>54883712
OP, that's nothing. This is weirdness

>DM warns us beforehand that he was going to try a weird, experimental campaign.
>The basic conceit of it is that we were low level guys guarding a nobleman's manor. Noble is in the parlor with a friend, talking about an acquaintance of theirs, and remarks how we the party resemble this guy's assistants.
>GM takes away our character sheets, hands back different ones; our chars are all the same archtypes, but we gain massive amounts of levels and abilities and are sometimes built in odd ways.
>Dumped into a very railroady campaign, often with meta-commentary about what we know and are supposed to do without ever actually learning it ourselves through our actions.
>Narration will also occasionally affect things. At one point, we get ambushed. It's either by a group of troglodytes or a group of lizardmen, our two narrators argue about it while we're fighting it out. Occasionally, GM switches the forces around, from trog to lizard and back again.
>And then there's the dream. At one point, we have a sleep at our base after a long period of adventuring, and with the tail end of a high level spell hitting us but mostly dispelled
>We have a group dream. Sepia toned streetscape of a city view that none of our characters, both real and in the story, are familiar with.
>As we walk along, the streets start flooding, and not like normal flooding of gradually rising water. No, individual portions of the street start getting replaced by 5-6 feet of water, which don't spill out to the parts still navigable.
>Most of the buildings are impossible to enter, but a couple are accessible
>In one of them, we find a guy who addresses us the players, not either the characters we rolled up or the assistants we resemble.
>He is a real guy in the game world.
>We would not run into him again until literally 3 campaigns and about 4 years IRL time later.
>>
>>54884404
>>54886627
Literally the OP says "not in a plot hook kind of way". Learn to read.
>>
>>54887464
I would love every second of that. I eat that kafka-esque bullshit up like no other.
>>
>>54888125
I don't see where he said that, and unless the GM explicitly told them it wasn't one it still looks like a plot hook to me.
>>
>>54888355
>I don't mean in a "Oh boy I read this on /x/ and now this will be the theme of my next sci fi horror adventure!" kind of way, I mean legit just put in something that was unexplainable given the current universes' rules?
It's like 2/3rds the opening post.
>>
>>54887464
>>54888223
Is there a good way to run this that doesn't just turn into the GM narrating his novel while the players wander around confused? I would love a weird fiction game too but in most of my group's hands it would be rubbish.
>>
>>54888458
Well, at least in my example, firstly, we were warned we were getting into something like this, and secondly, he really ramped up the combat difficulty relative to his usual standards. We spent a lot of time mulling over tactical decisions when in previous (and often later) campaigns, we would just put our heads down and charge.

Also, he was very much aided by the fact that this was a legacy campaign in a setting in which we had previous campaigns in and would go on to have more. That creates n investment in the setting that is hard to achieve otherwise.
>>
>>54883712
Sounds like some one (the rogue) murdered them and used some weak disintegration magic item on the bodies who's signature would fade and vanish after a few hours.
>>
Last chance bump. This could be interesting if more people added stories.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.