[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you properly communicate the themes or "feel"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: 1499751554289.jpg (27KB, 397x520px) Image search: [Google]
1499751554289.jpg
27KB, 397x520px
How do you properly communicate the themes or "feel" of a given setting or location?

How do you avoid locations, people, cultures etc. from being bland or samey?

How do you communicate in-world trivia and information without doing an exposition dump, i.e. keep Discovery and uncovering new facets of the setting interesting to the players?
>>
>How do you properly communicate the themes or "feel" of a given setting or location?

Through the adventures the players have there

>How do you avoid locations, people, cultures etc. from being bland or samey?

This is the dumbest fag question you could possibly ask. If you want to make something then just do cool shit that you like. Otherwise just use shit that is already made.

>How do you communicate in-world trivia and information without doing an exposition dump

You fucking don't you fag. Either it comes up in the adventure or it doesn't. If you really wanna get off to talking about all your world's random trivia then just use throwaway lines:

"The market is busy with stalls selling fresh bread and juicy glorbs."
>>
File: Wizard imports.jpg (273KB, 1557x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard imports.jpg
273KB, 1557x1600px
>>54873954
>How do you properly communicate the themes or "feel" of a given setting or location? How do you avoid locations, people, cultures etc. from being bland or samey?
Have the NPCs act diferenctly, consider different things important. The surroundings, the architecture. Elephants being sacred for example. Try using different foods and drinks available at the tavern, this already tells much about local crops, spices and animals without going into...
>How do you communicate in-world trivia and information without doing an exposition dump, i.e. keep Discovery and uncovering new facets of the setting interesting to the players?
Be brief, have one phrase of useful infos here and there. I suggest you think of the equivalent RL place to where the PCs are going, and check a traveling blog which went there. See what the writer found curious and interesting. For example, how Indian palaces-fortresses had spiked gates to avoid that elephants ram them. How tropical islands could be so humid and salty that the natives crafted brass armours with loose covering to avoid the rusting and heatstrokes that steel cuirass users would suffer from. Both of these can affect the players.

Finally, know what your players like to hear.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.