[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, some of my friends are interested in RPGs and I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1472966970281.jpg (1MB, 1650x1617px) Image search: [Google]
1472966970281.jpg
1MB, 1650x1617px
Hey /tg/, some of my friends are interested in RPGs and I'd like to introduce them to the hobby with a small campaign, preferably in something not too complicated but also not braindead.

I'm considering just going with D&D 5e because it's simple to understand and overall well-structured for a new player (if a bit bland for me), but I'd like to have some more options in terms of mechanics and theme considering they have 0 RPG experience.

Are there any tips I should take in account when dealing with new players? I'm kind of new to GMing in general so I don't want to throw them off.
>>
>>54873833
>but I'd like to have some more options in terms of mechanics and theme considering they have 0 RPG experience.

You want fewer options with beginners. D&D 5E is just fine for beginners. Later you can introduce them to Pathfinder, lol.
>>
>>54873990
What I mean by "some more options" is systems other than D&D 5e. I get that 5e is fine for starters, but maybe they want cyberpunk or superheroes and I'd like to have more than one system at hand.
>>
>>54873833
I'm in a similar boat to yours. I'm looking into translating and adapting Dungeon World and see if they have interest in it.
>>
>>54873833
Sure, if your players are fantasy-types, then go with it.
Just take it pretty relaxed at first. Don't worry about explaining all the combat rules to them and such, just ask them what it is they want to try and do in combat, then interpret that into what they need to roll. 5e is definitely easier to introduce new players to than previous editions of DnD.

Just introduce more complex rules as you play future sessions - so don't, for example, go into the first session with a large monster that has reach/attack of opportunities, etc. If you're new to GMing, this will serve a double purpose in keeping some of the weight off of your shoulders at the beginning.

It's also generally good to introduce new rules and the like in a way that enables the players first. In the example of attack of opportunities, introduce the rules in a way that is advantageous to the players- maybe one of the monsters scrambles about and presents the opening, at which point you can describe that to the player as him seeing an opening for a strike. This helps establish the rules as "things the players can do" and later, when it is used by monsters, "things enemies can do, too, so we need to be careful." I've found it makes things seem fairer, the world seem more balanced, and most importantly, the rules seem less like restrictions that inhibit players, and instead are there to help color player's choices and the world.
>>
>>54874029
Okay, then:

>Call of Cthulhu for horror
>Cyberpunk 2020 for cyberpunk
>Mutants and Masterminds for superheroes
>Traveller for space scifi
>>
I can't speak to the mechanics, but, as far as running the game is concerned, a firm hand is best when dealing with new players. Generally, they will fall into two camps: those who are paralyzed by freedom and will do nothing if not led by the nose and those who will make completely inane decisions when given any ounce of freedom. You must impress upon them that they are not playing a video game and that their actions have consequences. It is important for them to understand that the objective of the game is to have fun as a group, the choices they make will shape the game and directly affect the amount of fun everyone at the table, including the GM, is having.
>>
>>54874059
Go for Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires instead. Dungeon World sucks.
>>
Savage Worlds
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.