[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There are six places in games to make a campaign. Good campaigns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

There are six places in games to make a campaign. Good campaigns should mix up to three.

The great city; where rival gangs conflict and everything can be found.

the technology hub, with odditties both in their inventions and in their trash.

the harsh land, that must be conquered or understood

the scenic town, that has something unique, but also a dark side. Its built around something.

the stop in the road; where many stories meet and everyone is up for something.

The deep unknown, where everything is dangerous, crazy and unmapped
Which one am I forgetting?
>>
>>54873242
The magic wizard's tower, where mysteries are revealed and directions set.

>Why 3 and not 4 or 2?
>>
>>54873332
Well, you can mix them all in a long game, but for a common story pattern (call to adventure - tests - showdown) you don't really need more.

also, How could I forgot about the tower!
>>
>>54873242
I can think of several others, like:
>The long treaded path; tests of courage, rights of manhood, and trials pass through here

>The Moving City; Military encampments, nomadic tribes, etc.

>The Monument; Ruins, Ancient Cities, etc.

Those are just off the top of my head.
>>
>>54873554

Hmmm well, I can see how a nomadic exodus could lift a campaign on it's own, though it would probably become "the harsh land" quickly.
The other two would have to become one of the listed types to be usable, not a mere mark on the map.

Maybe we could add a war scenario.

The battle, where is all or nothing and someone bites the dust.
>>
>>54873242
What led you to codify these? Or did you get them from another place? As for ones you forgot, where would a campaign based around more constant movement, like say on ship on the sea or jumping between different planets, fit in?
>>
>>54875177
>>54875177
>What led you to codify these?
I thought on making a playable sketch for one of each, mostly by gamist madness than anything specific. Maybe making a small map where a representative of each is present, so I have a nice sandbox

>like say on ship on the sea or jumping between different planets

Then you get to live every single one of the cases, maybe one per session.
>>
>>54876645
mm, I dunno, I think that it might be a mistake to do a travel-based campaign with a setup where you have the whole six of them. Maybe setting up a plotline over a series of islands or planets which all fall under a single one of the six, and adding three of those storylines up. Thinking on it, maybe the travel should be something serving purely to transition between each of the places. I really like this idea, though mate. What made you choose these six? Like how did you come up these specific six, just thinking back on broad similarities in your campaigns?
>>
So we have:

1. The great city; where rival gangs conflict and everything can be found.

2. the technology hub, with odditties both in their inventions and in their trash.

3. the harsh land, that must be conquered or understood

4. the scenic town, that has something unique, but also a dark side. Its built around something.

5. the stop in the road; where many stories meet and everyone is up for something.

6. The deep unknown, where everything is dangerous, crazy and unmapped

7. The wizard's tower, where the mysteries are revealed and the direction set.

8. The battlefield, where is all or nothing and one will bite the dust.

And I have an idea: taking one of the places and use the description of the other; then try to figure out an adventure out of it.

Example: The great city, where everything is dangerous, crazy and unmapped.

Basically is a city taken over by a warping horror, and spent centuries like that. A dungeon with traces of a former city.
>>
>>54873242
The great city and tech hub should be together desu.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.