[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPG games with a resource that builds up in combat? Been playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

RPG games with a resource that builds up in combat?

Been playing some fighters, and was wondering if there was a decent game using something like a super meter system, in which performing small actions eventually gets you the resources needed for big ones.

CRPG's have Adrenline in Guild Wars 1 and one of Lisa's RPG power systems, so it's not like the concept can't be done.
>>
>>54873015
I had such an idea, but I've never put it into effect. A character would enter a stance and gain momentum. Each stance would have an at - will power, a minor power that costs some momentum, and an 'ultimate' power called a Finale which burns all the momentum and ends the stance, requiring a minimum amount of momentum to use.
It could even work as a casting system, with magicians building up magical power before unleashing a fireball.
Switching between or ending a stance could cost some or all the momentum gathered, depending on how the stances are related. It would be a resource game based on now-or-later decisions.
Obviously, characters should have access to multiple stances, if not all at once.
>>
File: 1450155520674.jpg (202KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
1450155520674.jpg
202KB, 700x512px
>>54873015
http://valorousgames. com/

Valor RPG. Each round of combat all participants gain a point of Valor, though it can also be gained through heroic acts, character options that have you Start a combat scenario with additional valor points and probably a couple others I don't recall off the top of my head.

Techniques and abilities can be keyed so that you need to Have or Spend a certain number of valor points in order to reduce their standard resource (stamina) cost, and can also be used to add bonuses to offensive, defensive, and skill rolls, to recover stamina, maybe some HP but I'm not as sure of that.
>>
from what I remember Iron Heroes had a system where you could gain tokens by doing various appropriate actions in combat and then spend them to get super attacks
>>
>>54873015
Iron Heroes is kind of like that, though not as video-gamey.
>>
File: 1450172807476.jpg (335KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450172807476.jpg
335KB, 707x1000px
>>54873015
Fantasycraft has Edge point systems, with feat chains based around cycling the points to expend in various fashions. You'll have to take a specific combat action to get points usually, but if you take multiple chains related to edge points you can use any of their resource systems to spend into any of the options you've picked up.
>>
>>54873015
Some classes in Strike! do this.

Duelists build focus that they can use to ruin the target of their Duel, Warlords gain Support Tokens that they can use for various effects (usually giving openings for allies to move/do more damage/protect them), Berserkers gain Madness tokens that they can use to do a lot of damage and other various effects (draw enemies into their frenzy, mark them, or heal themselves).
>>
>>54873015
Pretty sure 13th Age does this as well, though I'm not sure if the class I'm thinking of was actually official or just homebrew.

Bards and Monks are official though and those both have a "weak power -> weak power -> strong power" turn progression.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.