[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could religions evolve in a sci-fi setting? Like 200 or 300

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Religion_in_SF.png (42KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Religion_in_SF.png
42KB, 300x300px
How could religions evolve in a sci-fi setting?
Like 200 or 300 years in the future and we are in space with FTL?
What would be a realistic distribution of religions, The Big Three against the others, old religions vs new ones and religious vs unreligious?
I don't want to be biased in anyway, so no "everyone is an atheist now" nor a "everyone is religious because not being religious was just a phase".

Do you have any fun ideas on the subject?
>>
>200 years down the road

Christianity, Islam, Secular is the big things you should consider as definitely existing.

I don't see a pantheistic or pseudo-Buddhist religion taking on, but I do see tons of 'secular' people who are actually various types of mystical pagans.

Religion as a commodity. Faiths that adapt to society, instead of the other way around. The importance of feeling, experience, and 'spirituality' over hard doctrine and practice. That will describe the religious practices of people in the 2200s, along with the more traditional monotheists and the blatant agnostics/atheists.

Oh and if we encounter aliens, expect tons of converts to THEIR faiths just because its hip to do so.
>>
Religions exist, but in significantly different forms. 21st century versions of most religions are radically different from their original forms. Perhaps you could have "reformists" who seek to adapt the religions to whatever futuretech you add in, and "traditionalists" who cling onto 21st century surface-level interpretations. Chick Tracts could be treated as ancient holy relics, for example. Depending on if you want to keep things lighthearted, or play things more seriously, there are a few ways you could go from there. Transhumanism would likely evolve into a major religion by that point, so consider that as well.
>>
in my opinion there would be a pluralism of different religions, some old and some new as well as one or two rather cultish 'big' religions that manage to propagate themselves through brainwashing-like tactics and having cultish behaviour written into the tenets
>>
>>54831601
shintoism dominates the galaxy. just think about it.
>>
>>54831653
Also probably expect political ideologies to be elevated to religion status if current trends are anything to go by
>>
>>54831601
Irreligious, not full on atheist, but rather for the vast majority it's not has important as it used to be. Everyone becomes a holiday christian in the future.
>>
>>54831647
Honestly I could see a funky Budhist derived faith if people work out EP style transhumanism in the setting.
>>
>>54831601
>Budhism
I think Buddhism with it's focus on the self and reincarnation will pretty much always have a place in Human History. Especially since there isn't really a god to be proven wrong by the nature of life on other planets.

>Islam
Islam is going to be where Christianity is today. People say they're Muslim because it is normal and easy but most won't take it super seriously. Those who do will be labelled as fundies. Also this religion has already faced similar problems. Like the realization the world is round and has different time zones/latitudes. Muslims in the artic circle still believe they must pray toward mecca so why wouldn't they do it in space.

>Abrahamic as whole
There is going to be an extreme crisis of faith when we encounter other intelligent life out their that doesn't look like us. Who made it? It doesn't look like god us so it must be either god isn't real/what we think or the aliens are evil meant to test us. Those are going to be the reactions. Either loss of faith, doubling down, or reform.

Some of the reform I actually can see as going the way of finding the closest alien religion and claiming that god came to them too in the same way and that y'all have the same religion add legitimacy. I think mormons will be fine since the book of mormon talks about other gods on other planets. They'll still worship Jesus.

>Hinduism
Is an Ethnic religion really only practiced by Indians. It's future in space depends on what role India plays.

>Cults
They are going to have a field day and there will be a Renaissance in cults. Expect one or two to become mainstream after 100-300 years.

That covers the big 5. Most other religions are ethnic religions and their future depends on their home cultures role in space.

Expectations over all
>psychadelic resurgance
>trips to far reaches looking for god
>Atheist to be the same
>Religion to get a slow hold on space since priest/temples are not mission essential. 3rd wave at soonest
>>
>implying any creature smart enough to invent FTL would be religious
>>
>>54831735
>Buddhism
>the religion that views existence as a shithole
>the goal of which is to stop giving a shit about physical things to the point of no longer being born
>totally fine with spamming copies of yourself, editing and deleting them as you see fit in the quest for sticking around reality forever
justify this
>>
>>54832039
>not venerating the Machine Spirit
>017.M3
>01110011 01101000 01101001 01100111 01100111 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100111 01100111 01111001
>>
>>54831898
Haven't the Roman Catholics already declared that if there are any creatures that are at all like people somewhere other than earth then they need Jesus just like us? I don't see why space aliens not looking like us would cause such silly reactions as you describe. They'd just be either treated as animals or weird people. And the idea of "Who made it? It doesn't look like god" is ridiculous. Christianity didn't have any crisis of faith when tube worms were discovered, and won't when/if aliens are.

I get the feeling that you'd describe yourself as not religious. Religious people really don't tend to find "Science has discovered [another one of God's creations], where is your God now?!?!" to be a convincing argument that He doesn't exist.
>>
>>54832956
>saging
>>
>>54832956
This anon is on point. Either they are intelligent and fallen like us, being inhabitants of a fallen universe, and therefore need Christ just as much as us, or they are simply space animals. Also, >>54831898 implies that encountering intelligent space life is an inevitably, which it is not.
>>
>>54831601
Mostly Islamic, and we don't make it to space
>>
>>54832250
Yeah I think buddhism is only seen that way because of the transmigration of the soul and them already having a kind of ship of theseus vision of the "self".
A lot of buddhists are secular and don' really like the supernatural elements of it, so that depents if something of the new age yoga survives though.

Some new schools of buddhism could stll believe that "soul transferts" are possible and use technology to not die until they reach a state of enlightenement and let them themselves die.
>>
>>54831666
feck off weeb
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.