[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong to have an all human setting? A sci-fi one? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0464.png (163KB, 452x452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0464.png
163KB, 452x452px
Is it wrong to have an all human setting?

A sci-fi one?

Is it wrong for corporations to be good?

Is it wrong for corporations to own planets?

Is it possible for a game to take place in a post-scarcity society? How?
>>
>>54830398
No, but if you're a shitter who can't worldbuild in diversity then don't make all humans.

Sci-fi is incredibly fun if you have people who enjoy it.

No, but not all corporations are good or bad. See statement 1.

No.

Yes. I'm in a game right now where there was a cataclysmic event that ravaged entire peoples. Stretches of land became inhospitable arcane storms, oceans opened into cavernous voids that consumed the fish population, and other generally terrible stuff. However that was several years ago in-game and the various groups of people are picking up the pieces and finding alternatives.
>>
>>54830398
brotip: If you're really uncreative, use races as personality archetypes while keeping everyone human.
>>
>>54830398
>Is it wrong to have an all human setting?
No, actually this is what I end up doing for most of my settings.
>A sci-fi one?
Not at all, there are tons of these.
>Is it wrong for corporations to be good?
No, the bad corp trope is just a carry-over from the cyberpunk genre and "fight the man" culture in America.
>Is it wrong for corporations to own planets?
Morally wrong or bad writing? If the corps colonized them themselves I find no fault with it. Depends on the circumstances though.
>Is it possible for a game to take place in a post-scarcity society? How?
Yes? This is literally what Star Trek games are.
>>
>>54830952
I'm thinking about making different planets have different cultures

Earth is full of nuts geneticists
Mars has THE LAW
Mercury has a bunch of foundries
Venus, well what else would Venus be full of

That's not talking about the cults running around, like the nazis making ubermensh, and the wizards

It's going to be fun
>>
File: 3I5jSEY.gif (2MB, 308x279px) Image search: [Google]
3I5jSEY.gif
2MB, 308x279px
>>54830398
Why would any of that be wrong? If you can squeeze an entertaining story or an engaging game out of it, it's inherently right. It might not be to my personal tastes (gotta have my xenos) but that doesn't make it wrong, just not right for me.
>>
>>54830398
1/2.Loads of sci-fi settings don't have aliens.
3.No, I would make it more nuanced like real life but they can be mostly benevolent.
4.No.
5. Colonizing a new frontier,ect...
>>
>>54830398
>Is it wrong to have an all human setting?
Nah.
>A sci-fi one?
Nah.
>Is it wrong for corporations to be good?
Nah, but it can be hard to believe for a lot of people.
>Is it wrong for corporations to own planets?
Probably, but that's the fun of exploring it.
>Is it possible for a game to take place in a post-scarcity society? How?
Yeah, but I'm not really interested in the idea personally.
>>
>>54831105
I mean there kind of are xenos. The genetic engineers of earth create subspecies because they like doing that. Basically there are three major breakthroughs that allow for the setting.
>Dr. Red on earth created the alpha type human, which are immortal. Then died.
>to solve an energy problem a think tank called infinity(mercury) created a devise that can absorb and store vast amounts of power, then threw the device into the sun to open a portal to a dimension composed of an antimatter sea.
> a lawgiver on mars petioned earth to make the perfect lawmen, the obliged allowing the legal system to be rather robust on a galactic scale
>>
>>54830398
None of those are wrong, weird question.

Now, post-scarcity is hard to do because most games and stories happen with strife, and that strife is what drives drama. You're gonna have to make something shitty happen to that mouse utopia setting there, be it a mad god getting angery or terrorists or something.
>>
>>54830398
If you mean it as "there's humans instead of aliens", in a rubber-forehead sense, It's barely even different. If you mean it as "it's about humans", it worked pretty well for Asimov and co. There's literally no reason why it wouldn't work. That's not even a proper premise yet, the sci-fi can very well just be a coat of paint. If you mean it as "it's about humans, but the humans are essentially aliens" Brian Herbert is still whoring out the Dune franchise decades after his father's death, so yeah, it works.
>>
>>54830574
>Yes. I'm in a game right now where there was a cataclysmic event that ravaged entire peoples. Stretches of land became inhospitable arcane storms, oceans opened into cavernous voids that consumed the fish population, and other generally terrible stuff. However that was several years ago in-game and the various groups of people are picking up the pieces and finding alternatives.

That's not what "post-scarcity means, ya goober.

>>54831011
>an entire planet is one culture

That's pretty stupid, anon.
>>
>>54831293
It's not though.

Not all of earth is geneticists, just think of it this way. Does your town or local area have a local celebrity who did something cool, or have a celebrity from there?

Then scale that up to, this person made all of us immortal scale and you can see how important to people it is.

The whole way I am making conflict is due to all the groups running around, it's like paranoia but less paranoid.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.