[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 94

File: ccg primer v3.png (2MB, 1400x1660px) Image search: [Google]
ccg primer v3.png
2MB, 1400x1660px
Slow n' Steady Edition (Sorceries and other "slow" or delayed spells and effects)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>54754488
>>
File: Shared Communion.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shared Communion.png
293KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Hunted Cultist.png (261KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hunted Cultist.png
261KB, 375x523px
>>54829960
Bretty gud. Impulse draw is awesome, and I love it, but the costing for it is really difficult because it favors decks loaded with cheap spells, since any card you can't cast/play is sort of wasted. This alleviates that issue nicely. I'm not 100% sure about the costing though, since the base spell, Act on Impulse, is 2R, and this one will usually get three cards in RW, at least, if you don't rush casting it. And you get the benefit of using those creatures to ensure you get to cast at least something. I think 1RW is too expensive though. Maybe it's okay.
>>
>>54829960
I could see this being absolutely abused and busted in a naya tokens deck. Really neat idea. Probably would be a lot more fair as 2RW
>>
>>54830135
Feel like the wording on the last ability is weird. Get rid of "this turn".
>>
>>54830202
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22whenever+a+creature+dealt+damage+by+~+this+turn+dies%22&v=card&s=cname
>>
>>54830402
WHOOPS!
>>
File: Henge Tender.png (285KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Henge Tender.png
285KB, 375x523px
Okay, I don't like posting cards without feedback, but there's only two cards in the thread, and one of them is mine, and I've talked about the other one already. So sorry about that.

So I've been wondering for a long time: what color(s) care about nonbasic lands in a positive way? Red hates them, and green tends to dislike them too (but it also loves lands in general, so...). Blue used to hate them, but red inherited that I think. White also has a little bit of hate, as does black (back when black got more LD). So... what colors? I was thinking GU. G loves all lands, and U likes "progress" which one could view as nonbasic lands. I figured it might make for interesting discussion. Looking at all the cards that mention nonbasic lands (47 of them) the overwhelming majority are red, and all of them are hate cards. So I figured red wouldn't like you having nonbasics, though it'd like your opponents having them so it can fuck with them. Black too. So am I off base here? What do you think would be the color(s) that would like nonbasic lands and interact with them in a positive way?
>>
>>54830836
you don't see a lot of nonbasics-matters because it is difficult to get working in limited. The closest we got was the deserts theme in HOU, and that only required you to have a single desert to turn everything on. It's also going to be difficult to develop - either standard does not have enough quality nonbasics so the mechanic is extra swingy, or it does and it's on 100%.
>>
>>54832989
Not really what I asked, but it's interesting anyway. I think you would have to avoid making it a theme or a set-wide thing, and instead focus om making a few cards that take advantage of the nonbasic-heavier environment and just have a bit of fun with it as a 2 or 3 card thing. Still curious what colors would care; I guess if you were doing a lot of nonbasics, then every color could theoretically, since they all have access to Landfall.
>>
Good night and good luck, /ccg/.
>>
File: Phirsashs Valor.png (254KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phirsashs Valor.png
254KB, 375x523px
All I need is the art and the wording for the hand size limiter. Maybe a better name, too.
>>
>>54835605
Shit, just realized this is way overcosted. Back to the drawing board...
>>
>>54830836
I'd say Green and Blue makes the most sense for nonbasics. White and Black usually only really care about how many plains or swamps you have, while Red is all hate like you said. Green works because Green likes all lands, and Blue fits because Blue enjoys altering lands to suit its needs, and nonbasics could be seen as an extension of that.

On a side note, I've finished up most of the commons for my set, though I can't postracized any at the moment due to being on mobile. However, i was wonderingnif anyone had some advice for designing uncommons compared to commons or rares.
>>
>>54835605
>>54835752
It does seem like an interesting idea, grabbing your entire grave's worth of creatures back, but only being able to keep some due to the hand size limit. I do feel like it might work better at a lower mana cost, since it also does come with that long term downside.

>>54830135
I like this card quite a lot, though it does feel like it'll be hard to get the most value out of. If you qttack right away and they block with the tokens, you've made them discard 2 for 3 mana and given them a token. Not the best deal. Of course, the advantage is that it could also be pumped or comboed with other carss to give you a reliable source of discard. Very nice overall.
>>
File: Avatar of Fate.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
39KB, 375x523px
My dream commander. I'm 99% the wording doesn't work too
>>
>>54838033
I think it would need to be

Whenever you cast a spell, change its text by replacing all instances of "choose one" with "choose one or more".

I think it could be simplified, but that would be the way to get it across properly.

I'd also say that card might be a bit expensive for all it's doing, does it really need to be a 10/10 indestructible for 10?
>>
File: BashfulDrake.png (1MB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
BashfulDrake.png
1MB, 750x1046px
I had this setup as a static ability before, but I realized that could probably get a bit weird if your opponent had one too.
>>
>>54838816
Probably works better as an only attacking thing anyway. It goes unblocked if they don't have any flyers, or at leadt limits their options to things with reach. Then if they do have flyers, they could block it anyway so it matters less.

It works nicely as a kind of 'low flying' contrast to the 'high flying' effects Blue sometimes gets.
>>
>>54838173
I don't think it works as a triggered ability, since the mode choice will have already been made at that point. I think you're looking at something more like:
>If you would choose one or more modes for a spell or ability you control, you may choose each of those modes instead.
>>
File: steven rogers.jpg (232KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
steven rogers.jpg
232KB, 744x1039px
Would this be balanced as a real card?
>>
File: Dreno the Guilt-Ridden.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dreno the Guilt-Ridden.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>54840479
Reminds me of Márton Stromgald. I'd bump up the mana cost by one, at least.
>>
>>54841083
That seems like a very easy way to win the game if your opponent has 20 cards in their graveyard.

I think it might be more balanced if it only triggered during your own upkeep but affected each player instead.
>>
>>54840479
Very pushed at that cmc, but unplayable because of the triple white.
>>
>>54843238
Yeah I tried to compensate his low cmc with that heavy white requirement.
>>
>>54838173
>>54838920
>may
get rid of that word and you're golden.
>>
File: bestcardever.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
bestcardever.png
293KB, 375x523px
MY FINEST CREATION
>>
File: Drakecaller Exile.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Drakecaller Exile.png
247KB, 375x523px
>>54841083
Seems fun with mill as a wincon, especially Traumatize. I think the trigger staying as-is is for the best, but that's because of the aforementioned combo. I'd rather it be balanced around that than changed to be harder to use. Bumping the cost up to 1B turns it into a turn 7 wincon, which is totally fine to me, or turn 8 if you intend to protect it.

>>54840479
3WW would better balance this and make it more playable to boot.

>>54838816
I remember this card, or something like it. Feels pretty okay to me, though red getting flying at low CMC on small bodies is a bit off. >>54838890 has a point though that the "low flying" aspect does make it feel more red, since red is the color of "cowardly" creatures, and this fits the bill.

>>54837966
>Cultist
Thanks. I like the idea of the Hunted cards from Ravnica, and so I thought to mess with it a little from a modern design standpoint. I suppose it could be reduced to two tokens, making it a really obtuse "discard two" spell, with bonus ETB and death triggers, but I wanted the player to have to work a little. I don't mind changing it though, if need be.

>>54836778
>GU
Nice to hear I wasn't totally off base with that. I like the idea of "nonbasic matters" cards that aren't hate, so now I have some colors to play with. GU happens to be one of my favorite combos as well, so that helps.
>uncommons
Well, I dunno what your set is, but what I learned from setbuilding is that uncommons are your workhorse cards. Think of your archetypes, and what they need to function, and what you want people to draft for them, and make those your uncommons. They are the sort of card you can plan on someone getting at least one copy of for an archetype, and they do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of utility in draft as well. Rares are, well, too rare to matter, and mythics you can just forget about. I'd actually advise not even including them unless you do Planeswalkers, myself. You aren't making money off the set so why bother?
>>
>>54843994
Feels too similar to Dragonmaster Outcast, and 4 lands is much less than 5 or 6, especially for a color that overwhelming wants to go to the late game.
>>
>>54844089
It's meant to feel that way. I just ran out of room to explain that in the post. How is 4 lands not fair for a 2/2 flier compared to 6 lands for a 5/5 flier? Seems fair to me, at any rate. Five lands seems too high. I suppose it could be six lands and make two tokens?
>>
>>54844184
It's easy to have 4 lands by turn 4. It is very difficult to have 6 by turn 6. Closest comparison is Master of the Wild Hunt, but his tokens don't have evasion and you can't protect it the turn you play it.
>>
>>54844343
Fair enough; I'll just make it two tokens for six lands. Riffs the original more closely and would placate your demand that blue be a late-game color to boot.
>>
File: Space-Time Collision.png (231KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Space-Time Collision.png
231KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54844089
>Feels too similar to Dragonmaster Outcast
Not him but dude the card is called drakecaller exile.
>>
>>54844894
Needs to self exile
>>
Morphic Spellgyre 2UR
Instant
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for that spell and the copy.

I know the wording is fucked on this, but it's been a while.

Mnemomancy Mishap R
Sorcery
Name a card, then search your library for up to four cards with the same name and exile them. Shuffle your library, then scry X, where X is the number of cards exiled in this way.

Dream Guardian 2RBU
Legendary Creature- Avatar
Protection from untapped creatures and sorceries
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at that player's hand and exile a nonland card from it. Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled by cards named ~.
3/4

Another specifics headache. I assume 'protection from untapped creatures' doesn't guard against Visara the Dreadful's tap ability, as an example?
>>
>>54845392
Well I'm glad somebody got it.
>>
File: Undenominate.png (260KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Undenominate.png
260KB, 375x523px
This may be less useful in standard, but would it see use in EDH do you think?
>>
File: Serpent Speaker.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Serpent Speaker.png
243KB, 375x523px
>>54845658
>Spellgyre
I'd do it "You may choose new targets for target spell. Copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy." It just reads a bit better to me and the process is a bit more clear I think. I like it though. Cost should be just about right, but maybe 3UR is safer.
>Mishap
>turn 4
>cast this playing RDW
>"mountain"
>thin the hell out of your deck, scry 12, and get your wincons all nicely lined up in a row
I'd add a nonland caveat to that, and I'd maybe make it more expensive. 1R? You'll always at least get Scry 2 and thin 2 cards out of your deck with this, which is all upside.
>Guardian
The last part of the ability needs a rework; "Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled this way." And yes, it does not guard against that because targets are chosen when the ability goes on the stack, and Visara is already tapped as part of the cost to activate her ability.
>>
File: Without a Trace.jpg (74KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Without a Trace.jpg
74KB, 752x523px
>>
>>54847613
>unconditional removal
>mono blue

NO.
>>
File: whitecommons3.jpg (1MB, 2292x1592px) Image search: [Google]
whitecommons3.jpg
1MB, 2292x1592px
>>54847613
I'm with >>54847667 on this.

The invoke cost should probably be Black, since the transform half is Black in all but name, and it adds up to a rather Black effect as well. The most Blue thing about it is that it can hit enchantments and artifacts, so an invoke cost involving UB would probably be best.

Posting commons from my set, have the other colors done as well.
>>
>>54847761
Wanderer's ability isn't appropriate on a ostensiably WB creature, Liferoot feels more green due to the "Plant" type, sparking should probably be red from a flavor perspective, White doesn't really discard unless it's a block theme, huntress is either undercosted or uncommon,
>>
Let's say this comes out in the new Dominaria set. I know it will dominate Standard. How will Modern change?

Countering Force
U
Instant
----------------------------------------------------------
As an additional cost to cast Countering Force, pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand.

Counter target spell.
----------------------------------------------------------

If too format warping, if it was 1U, would it be more balanced?
>>
>>54847844
I originally had the Wanderer as White with G for its ability, I was told it was more fitting as Black.

I could alter the name of the ox to be more fitting, if Radiant or the like would be better. I thought it was fairly White mechanically, due to the P/T and caring about blockers.

The Huntress I would probably prefer to alter the p/t of, just so White has 4 mana card there. Would a 3/3 be alright, or should I go down to 2/3?

As for discarding, the block does have a general graveyard theme, though if it's that out of place on the Bird I could probably up the cost and limit it to once per turn instead.
>>
>>54847301
Oops, I misread Mishap. Still, guaranteed Scry 4 and deck thinning calling a land. I'd do nonland still in any case.

>>54847613
Speaking from experience, I can say that doing things that other colors can do by twisting a color usually get met with hostility around here, as evidenced by >>54847667. There's such a thing as being "too clever".
>>
>>54847991
I would say that more fitting 'hard removal' for Blue would be bouncing something to the top of the library and then milling that player, but Blue still shouldn't be getting that all on one card. It'd be a neat combo if you pull it off, sure, but it shouldn't be a built-in function of something mono-Blue
>>
>>54847950
I take it you're assuming that since you have to pay U, it's much weaker than FoW since it can't stop your opponent if they go first? Well since Standard has no need of a FoW-grade counter since winning turn 1 is basically impossible, why would you want this? It's obscenely broken at U, and at 1U there are better options that don't cost you extra cards.
>>
>>54848029
That's the exact effect that got me in trouble years back. Funny you managed to come up with it as your example. Hardest removal Blue should get is "third from the top"-type cards, I think. I don't like Polymorph and am glad it's going to Red myself.
>>
>>54848067
Yeah, personally I'm okay with Blue getting clever or combo based removal, but it should always be 2 for 1. Bounce something and then make each person shuffle their hand into their deck, or gain control of a creature and then sacrifice it with another card.

Heck, Blue's most basic form of removal is already this. Just bounce and then counterspell.
>>
>>54848034
Just Brainstorming. It would be cool for wotc to have weaker "tribute" cards for its 25th anniversary. I also don't like the fact that Modern does not have a truly great counter-spell. Mana leak is conditional and you can't pair it with Path. Cryptic command is too mana intensive.
>>
>>54844894
This should probably cost more, like in the realm of In Garruk's Wake and Insurrection.
>>
File: bluecommons1.jpg (1MB, 2280x1584px) Image search: [Google]
bluecommons1.jpg
1MB, 2280x1584px
>>54847301
This seems like a solid card. 2/2 for 2 multicolor works nicely. The token creation seems rather fairly costed as well, and the scry on top of that is a nice bonus.
>>
File: Waters Weirding.png (242KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Waters Weirding.png
242KB, 375x523px
>>54847761
>Sapling
Strikes me as more green than white.
>Tiger
This feels strange since it combines GU. It makes it seem there's a Bant faction in your set, and I don't think there is? Maybe it should just cost G and have another card with a U activation on it.
>Braveheart
Watch for complexity here. I realize that this is seemingly a simplistic card, but NWO dictates watching out for commons that target other permanents with repeatable abilities.
>Cheetah
This not having firebreathing is disappointing as a potential drafter. Also again, NWO issues.
>Huntress
This is just an uncommon.
>Packlord
Why a 2/3 token? Typo?
>Wanderer
I agree this is out of scope. You want the B ability not to cause the W card do do something not W in its cost. I realize as it's worded it can sacrifice itself, but I'd advise another course. Also, B granting Trample isn't a thing. G and R grant Trample.
>Bones
Interesting token. I think it might need a mana cost though. 1 would do.
>Aloft
White bounce? Is this even a thing? It gets flicker... I'd advise making it exile UEOT instead.

>>54848109
ah, I see. I don't play competitively anymore so I don't see the draw myself, but if you feel it needs it then maybe that's the case.

>>54848224
>Neozoa
Way too strong. Should be 1U.
>Carbunckle
I'd make the Scry ability cost a tap too, unless you're doing it for flavor purposes. I mean you're still tapping a creature so it's presumably fine but still. Also, this is a lot of utility on one 1U creature. Feels more uncommon.
>Leech
Too busy for a common.
>Cephalopod
Seems too strong. A 2/3 for 3 is already very good for Blue, but the added bonus is over the top. It has Prowess, so reduce the P/T some.
>Serpent
Traditionally a white ability, with its high-power hate. One blue card has it, and it was a one-off. Currently doesn't seem to have a home, but I'd err on it still being white.
>remains
Spruce up the wording for plurality.

(cont)
>>
>>54848656
>>54848224

>Fisher
I'd make this self target so you can't weaponize it.
>Reefs
this is a white effect.
>Storm
This is uncommon.
>Surge
I'd rather the flashback be green. And I don't think WotC likes token-making combat tricks at 1C anymore. 2C is usually the cost for instants now that make two weenie tokens. I know these can't attack but Blue isn't good at making tokens anyway.
>Spirit
I'd make this "when ~ leaves the battlefield" for a bit of extra value.
>Waters
Hrm. Probably okay but the wording is a bit off.

Also, does your set have no humanoid creatures in it at all? Odd, but a neat concept.
>>
>>54848705
Oop, forgot to say thanks for the feedback on the Speaker.
>>
>>54848656
>Tiger
I had wanted a bit of an allied color cycle

>Braveheart, Cheetah, Huntress
I was already planning on changing Braveheart to being 3 mana and once per turn instead to be a bit less repeatable. As for the other two, I would point to Bloodlust Inciter and Aerial Guide from more recent sets.

>Packlord
I was told that a 3/3 token was 'too green'

>Wanderer
I was told it was more black than green. Would switching trample to menace solve it?

>Aloft
Went off of list in OP. Says White Bounce is a thing. I made more limited than Blue to be safe.

>Neozoa
Noted. I'd tried pushing it to 1 for other reasons.

>Carbuncle
I had it as a unified effect before, though figured that was too confusing

>Cephalopod
1/3 would work

>Serpent
I was going off of Skulk there, though just counting base power rather than any increases.

>Reefs
-1/-0 to attackers instead?

>Surge
I didn't want to double up on U/G combos when I had the Cephalopod going for forests as well. I may also change it to a Sorcery to keep the cost lower.

>Also, does your set have no humanoid creatures in it at all? Odd, but a neat concept.

Yes, that was part of the idea behind it. I wanted to try and make a very wilderness style block.

>>54848815
No trouble at all. Thanks for all of yours!
>>
>>54848224
Venomous seadragon and barrier reefs are too good
>>
File: Barrier Reef.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Barrier Reef.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>54849009
>>54848977
>>54848705
Perhaps this might solve up one of these issues
>>
File: Venomous Seadragon.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Venomous Seadragon.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>54849009
I'm assuming it was the cost on the counterspell?
>>
>>54849179
Well not only that, but it's the kinda thing that would only EVER show up at uncommon +
>>
>>54849197
Would it be better if it had a more plain sacrifice effect instead?
>>
>>54849238
>>54849197
On further examination, I think I was remembering the rarity of a card I based it off of wrong. I'll bump it up and find something to swap it out for.
>>
>>54848656
I dislike how this is a very good token creating spell in the color that should be the worst at it.
>>
>>54849514
Is there reference for this? As far as I know white gets the most tokens because it's the creature that cares about having the most creatures but otherwise I was under the impression most colors could have any amount and kind of token making necessary for whatever.
>>
>>54847613
>>54847667
>>54847991
This may be too cheap, but blue IS capable of doing this as recently as Amonkhet because of Commit//Memory, though it was a little more subtle.
>>
>>54849600
It's also a rare, and as you said, costs a lot of mana to pull it off. While it could be done, I think it has to be done with those stronger effects, and only at higher rarities.

After all, a bounce to library and then a mill would probably be 3 mana and 1 mana respectfully. This instead went for 4 mana for second from the top and 6 mana for a full hand/grave shuffle.

I think it's less about Blue not getting hard removal and more about it not being remotely efficient. You either need multiple cards, or you need to pay so much mana that you'll ask yourself why you didn't just use multiple cards.
>>
File: Armorshell Leech.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Armorshell Leech.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>54848656
I feel like this would be better as XUU, if only so it looks cleaner. Putting colorless costs on X cost spells always feels messy, and it doesn't accomplish that much in terms of mana demands.

Aside from that, the spell seems solid. The best use of it would arguably be to get a large scry value, put most of them on the bottom for a lot of tokens, and then put the one card you want on top. Not a bad use, but it does mean that anyone trying to use it for actual scrying might be left wanting.

Also, I tried to rework the Leech since you mentioned it was too busy. I though removing the lifegain/drain might help, but I did want to try and keep the tap and counter removal.
>>
>>54849690
Eh, Commit//Memory is a legitimate card. It's expensive but both effects are useful for their cmc. I don't think making it constructed inviable is the correct way to go about it. Boomerang doesn't feel super rare though, you are correct. But eh.
>>
>>54849747
not boomerang, dissipate, my bad. I still mentally think of bounce effects as boomerang. Anyway point is blue can still do it as of relatively recently and that's all I was commenting on, I didn't get the impression the criticisms were just that he costs and effects were wrong, but the core concept.
>>
>>54849558
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157018334603/any-color-can-create-tokens-but-is-there-a

Also
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22create+X%22&v=card&s=color
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22create+a%22+o%3A%22for+each%22&v=card&s=color
White gets the most mass token creation. Blue gets the least, and is almost always conditional.
>>
>>54849747
>>54849763
I'm not suggesting to not make it viable, more that it's using two effects that are high in mana cost to achieve the removal effect, rather than two effects that are much cheaper.

I still think a key factor to the idea is the difficulty of it. It can be done, sure, but trying to push it isn't the way to go. You make a good point though, it isn't quite as big of a hard no as was suggested.
>>
>>54849775
Eh, this seems to be about how often they get it, not how good it is or how many tokens. Doing it the least doesn't necessarily mean it has to be bad at it. It was a token archetype in BFZ for example. But this is still a useful list. Is there anything else?
>>
>>54849811
>>54849775
Though, now that I think about it, I get a gut feeling blue isn't supposed to get X token making and that's kinda what this is. Is there reference for X tokens?
>>
File: Ugins Wish.png (206KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ugins Wish.png
206KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54849514
It's ironic because I said Blue is bad at tokens in my own feedback. I didn't think it was that bad because for 3 mana, you get a 1/1 and a Scry 1. It starts out very weak, but yeah, since it's X, it can scale pretty well. I think I have the answer though. I'll just make it XGU, and the Elemental tokens blue and green, or just green. Should be fine then, I hope.

>>54848977
>Wanderer
Yeah that would help.
>Aloft
What list?
>Serpent
Yeah that's my fault I just read the Amrou Kithkin ability and went "wait, let me check this" with just that wording and all the returns were white except one.
>Reefs
Much more blue, yes.
>Surge
Fair, but I'm sure you see my point.

>>54849734
Well now it's XGU, so we should be good. And the point is that you have to decide what effect you want to prioritize, which becomes easier the more mana you spend (digging deeper), which only makes sense to me.
>Leech
The main issue is a common having two activated abilities. Are you disregarding NWO? If so that's fine, and I'll relent.
>>
Do you think white could get this? I really did want this to be in white flavorwise, and I kinda feel like white gets most weird draw stuff these days. I think maybe it can get it on the basis it lets the opponent draw as well? I kinda feel like that's why white got Monarch mechanically.
>>
File: Long-Arm Lawman.jpg (161KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Long-Arm Lawman.jpg
161KB, 744x1039px
>>54850203
Forgot card
>>
>>54850054
>What list?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

It's listed as secondary under White, which tends to still be in the realm of things that could show up with regularity. I couldn't find any examples, but I felt like making it a 'put on top of library' effect would be a bit much for a common with flashback.

>Surge
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say with it. I didn't plan for much flashback in green though, but I may try and shuffle things around with it.

As for your card, I do think XGU might be a better fit for a mass of elemental tokens. I suppose the tradeoffs with the card might take some playtesting to really understand, but it does seem like a neat card.

>Leech
I'm trying not to disregard NWO too much, though I find I often try and make custom cards that are more complex than average. Mainly because I don't want to just make french vanillas or the like.

I do still want it to combo with White/Black in some way, and I did like the thought of it using its abilities in tandem to try and drain larger creatures with counters. I may need to try and work in something else instead though. Ideally, something more than lifelink or a basic life drain effect.
>>
>>54850203
>>54850211
Assuming you're talking about the card draw, I would say so, as long as Feud isn't primarily in White. After all, White does still get Cycling and Cantrips, and the fact that it affects both players does make it more White.
>>
>>54850256
It's probably secondary in white yeah. I mostly envision it in all colors though though mainly in red, with blue, black and white probably second, and green probably distant last. I'm still not sure if I sold on this mechanic though. I kinda wish I could play with it just to see how it feels. It reads like it feels fun to do. I'm still trying to see if I can think of a 'showndown" mechanic that could be a headliner, like embalm in Amonkhet or energy in Kaladesh or landfall in Zendikar. I guess I don't necessarily need one, I don't think Innistrad really does for example, but I like the idea of a mechanic that you go "yeah, that's definitely this set's thing".
>>
File: Once More With Feeling.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Once More With Feeling.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54850222
>Leech
Consider making it have an ETB that cares about Swamp and Plains control? I dunno. One-off abilities are much less flaggable regarding NWO since they aren't easily repeatable.
>List
White can bounce its own stuff... maybe that's what he meant? It's meant to save your own creatures, not as an offensive thing. Make the change and I think we're gold. That's where the confusion seems to lie.
>>
>>54850297
Hmm...I feel like the only thing holding Feud back from being one of those 'main' mechanics like you want is the fact that it takes up so much real estate on the card.

Embalm can be a few lines near the bottom of an otherwise normal card. Landfall, likewise, can take up a varying amount of room for the specific landfall effect, but can also be short enough to pair with evergreen keywords or activated abilities. Energy is a bit trickier, but it has benefit in being so variable. All it really has to do is spend a couple lines saying how much energy a card gives, and then have the effects of that card be whatever so long as they rely on that energy.

Feud? You have to spend all the space on the text saying that the creature feuds, when it feuds, and then the reminder text for what it means to feud, and then after all that you barely have enough room to make sure the feud actually does something. I'd say it's a similar problem to Soulbond, where the mechanic itself is just so wordy that it doesn't leave as much room to do anything too spectacular with it.

However, unless you really simplify it to something like a coin flip, I don't see condensing it working out as well.
>>
File: Render Aloft.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Render Aloft.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>54850311
I suppose that might be the case with Bounce. Looking further it's under Red as well, which I think might only apply to stuff like Dash where it's a drawback on something with Haste.

I'll switch it to a library return instead, though I am worried it might be a bit much.

As for the Leech, I'll see what I can do with ETB effects. I may need to try another angle entirely here, or just bump it up to uncommon and replace it.
>>
File: Two-Pair Outlaw.jpg (224KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Two-Pair Outlaw.jpg
224KB, 744x1039px
>>54850360
I mostly just think it's not very flashy or interesting as far as being like a headliner goes. Card flow effects just aren't super flashy. They can be well liked and cool though, Investigate and Monarch for example super awesome card flow mechanics. Embalm is actually surprisingly damn wordy for nowadays. Though I am making a bit of called shot that they consider embalm to be Amonkhet's main thing. I'm assuming that it will be brought back next time we go there, but maybe it'll be more like Theros or Innistrad which were both top down sets that didn't really have a "main" mechanic.

I'm very sad this doesn't fit.
>>
>>54850389
Not at common with flashback, and the life gain feels unnecessarily tacked on for value.
>>
File: grasp.jpg (56KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
grasp.jpg
56KB, 312x445px
>>54850389
>>
>>54850511
>>54850522
That's exactly what I was worried about and why I didn't want to make it a library effect.
>>
>>54850503
>>54850360
Huh, I just compared embalm and feud and feud is actually shorter. I wasn't even counting the cmc. I actually knew embalm was long but I thought it was still shorter than feud.
>>
>>54850543
Oh, But there's space on creatures needing a timing. Maybe that's why it feels long.
>>
File: Assert Destiny.png (265KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Assert Destiny.png
265KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Straight Shooter.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Straight Shooter.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>54850503
>>54850543
I think Embalm does end up shorter, at least in the sense that Feud needs a lot more things on it to function.

An Embalm card needs 5 lines to have Embalm on it, giving you a couple lines for unrelated effects.

Looking at Feud, you're consistently needing 2 lines to have something Feud when it enters, and then 4 lines to explain what a Feud is. That isn't counting the few lines you need to give an actual benefit for winning the feud.

>>54850561
Yeah, that's basically what it boils down to. On creatures it can only be very simple effects. Sorceries/Instants would have it easier, but even they'll be forced to be pretty straightforward.

You may be better off condensing things further and making Feud a normal Keyword rather than a Keyword Action. Rather than having you Feud with an opponent, phrase it like Pic Related. It can condense it down to 4/5 lines rather than a full 6, and while you'll still need to declare a wincon for the feud, it leaves just enough room for an evergreen in some cases.
>>
File: Two-Pair Outlaw.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Two-Pair Outlaw.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>54850503
>>54850645
Also, another factor I just thought of, but it may be the custom card program you're using. I copied your outlaw into MSE, and while it's still 8 lines total to get everything in, the first portion is 5 lines instead of 6.

I'd still say you might be better of with the static version over the action version just in the interest of space though. The main downside is you wouldn't be able to put it on any instants or sorceries, but thus far it feels like the sort of mechanic you'd want on creatures or enchantments anyway.
>>
>>54850645
That last ability needs a trigger condition.
>>
File: Chandra's Meditation.jpg (219KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Chandra's Meditation.jpg
219KB, 744x1039px
>>54850645
I actually like feud I think from a gameplay perspective, at least in theory since as I said I haven't played with it, just because it feels like a cool thing. But I'm not married to it. I may just ditch it. I actually think it's a pretty interesting on a mechanical level to build a set around (I don't remember if I said, but I had ideas for high cmc cards that could be ditch into the grave that had cheaper effects there or otherwise, or just caring about the grave or discard in general, are cool themes to build around) but it's just... not interesting reading at all to most people I think. It's really just looting in the end and sometimes cards care about it. I still haven't quite pinned down the feel I want to go for, but I feel like competition is one I want. Like the feel of wanting to beat the opponent to something first.

i've been very interesting in conveying a feeling since I heard on an interview during a podcast that the feel they wanted in HOD was a hopeless disaster, and that made me really appreciate Afflict in the grand scheme of things even though it wasn't a super interesting looking mechanic.

Pic not related.
>>
>>54850691
I think for flavor reason it should be usable on spells as well since in setting spells are gunplay effectively. I dunno.
>>
File: Somatic Components.png (225KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Somatic Components.png
225KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54850720
>>54850744
Yeah, it's up to what you want to do with it. I was mostly trying to point out why I felt it might not have been working as something that felt 'core'.

I do like the idea, though maybe it would be better as something on a small cycle or a few one-off cards that have you draw, discard, and compare.

I'm not sure how to get across the idea of competing in speed in regards to old-west quickdraws in a card game though.
>>
>>54850759
Interesting way to get around the gameplay problems of the first effect. I kinda wish it was everybody and not just you but that was because I thought telepathy was everybody too but it actually isn't. And it's not necessary mechanically so forget it.
>>
>>54850779
>of the first effect.
I was mentally thinking "first effect" since I'm sure the card started with the bottom effect and the reveal was a way to facilitate it, but I meant was "second"
>>
File: Armorshell Leech options.jpg (129KB, 753x526px) Image search: [Google]
Armorshell Leech options.jpg
129KB, 753x526px
>>54850304
I like this card a lot, though that might just be because it reminds me of one of my favorites. Cost and effect wise, it should be fine. I think you could go for 1U for the entwine cost, but that isn't strictly necessary.

>>54850311
I think I might have narrowed the Leech down to some more fitting options for common. I'm leaning towards the lifelink, if only because I feel like it would get too annoying as a wall otherwise.
>>
>>54850774
This mechanic was actually inspired by a manga I was reading called Kaiji: One Poker Hen. One Poker there is this game where you have two cards in hand and play one and compare, then ditch it and draw a new card. It's a really simplified game of poker which felt really good for the feel I wanted. In my initial draft of the ability I actually had you doing something with putting the cards face down and revealing but it's obviously way simpler and less wordy to just loot.
>>
>>54850803
I'm glad you posted again because I forgot, I actually looked up some cards for Khans block to see if they had done something like what you were going for. The cards I found were "do x thing the other two colors can do if you control a (land) or (other land)". You could maybe do that. Something like etb drain 2 if you control a plains or a swamp.
>>
>>54850863
Runemark cycle is the name if you want it
>>
>>54850886
>>54850863
Oh, I remembered wrong, it didn't give you an off color thing for some reason (?) and counted permanents and not lands, though if you count lands I think you could do off color if that's what you want.
>>
File: Armorshell Leech.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Armorshell Leech.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>54850863
>>54850886
>>54850898
I figured that was what you meant. I suppose I could simplify it to having lifelink as long as you've got a plains or swamp...

Maybe something like this?
>>
>>54850927
Is there a reason you gave it the additional activated ability? I guess a common can do it but eh. It seems unnecessary unless there is a design reason.
>>
>>54850952
The reason would be that a 1/4 with conditional lifelink sounds like an incredibly boring card and I'd sooner remove it entirely.
>>
>>54851007
For reference purposes, is there a rule of thumb for high toughness creatures? I wouldn't have given that a second thought.

Card is fine I think anyway. It's got a slightly better keyword than prowess I believe and one less power so it's costed right compared to Ingenious Skaab. Lifelink has less synergy with the ability than prowess but there is still some synergy with pump so. Maybe you could give it an extra toughness.
>>
>>54851052
There seems to be. For Blue at least, 2 mana is enough for a 1/3 with some small upsides, while you typically need 3 mana to get a 1/4. I figured with the added synergy flowstone would have with the higher toughness and lifelink, it would be better to err on the safe side, though I could probably lower it down to 2 mana for a 1/3, since the keyword on this one is dependent on running another color.

I think I'm fine with where it is right now, although I had hoped to avoid sinking to WB lifelink. Guess that's all that color pair is good for though.
>>
>>54851096
What I meant mostly was when you should use high toughness and how much really.

This is fine as is, I just think it could use an extra stat somewhere since it doesn't have the ability to get as high power as Ignenius Skaab even if Lifelink is probably a more powerful keyword than prowess. I do think 1/4 would be fine but if you don't want that 1/3 or even the skaab's 2/3 is probably fine also.
>>
>>54851123
I think I'll have to sleep on it. I do have some other cards that I'll need to change around as well, so I'll see where it ends up fitting in.

Thanks for all the help.
>>
File: Drag-Out Fight.jpg (222KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Drag-Out Fight.jpg
222KB, 744x1039px
Not sure on wording or even really cost on this one. I want you to be able to switch opponents if you want.
>>
>>54851184
Also realized I forgot source of damage
>>
>>54851184
>>54851192
Also trying to think of how to word an effect where you can discard an additional card and add its cmc to the first as a way to win a feud you might not normally win to combo with this card but you use up your hand faster. But maybe that's too convoluted.
>>
>>54851192
>>54851184
>~ deals 1 damage to each opponent, then feud with an opponent. If you win the feud, repeat this process. (le reminder text for feud)

>>54851293
>discard more cards to add CMCs
Eurgh. If you're going to fuck with it that way, just do a flat bonus or something.
>>
>>54851852
>>~ deals 1 damage to each opponent, then feud with an opponent. If you win the feud, repeat this process. (le reminder text for feud)
Great, perfect.
>>54851852
>Eurgh. If you're going to fuck with it that way, just do a flat bonus or something.
Can it just be a discard? Honestly that's probably all that's gonna happen anyway. The adding cmc is probably pointless.So basically "If you would lose a feud, instead you may discard a card. If you do, you win the feud." That's probably not right though. I'm not sure if you can do a replacement effect for this kind of thing?
>>
File: blackcommons1.jpg (1MB, 2288x1592px) Image search: [Google]
blackcommons1.jpg
1MB, 2288x1592px
>>
File: trafficking.jpg (319KB, 752x1569px) Image search: [Google]
trafficking.jpg
319KB, 752x1569px
>>54847667
>>54847761
>>54847991
>>54849600
>>54849690
Alright, which fixed version is the most suitable.
And for the DImir backside cards, should the front side be dimir as well?
>>
>>54855026
both sides should be the same color(s)
>>
>>54855026
I think your phrasing is off on the front. Should be just 'return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand' on the front.

That aside, the front can stand to be mono Blue, as it isn't doing anything that Blue doesn't ordinarily do. The flipside has to be Blue/Black because it's doing a Bounce and a Discard to add up to a kill spell.
>>
File: Jodah Archmage Eternal6.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jodah Archmage Eternal6.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>54854829
>Cavern Slug
Weaker Festering Goblin? Eh, not a big fan.

>Mindnumb Sporothid
Mill is OK, but the lifegain is way too situational. Change to just lands.

>Ravenous Gator
Eh, the menace part seems like a bit much.

>Soulprey Mantis
Still not a fan of looking at other land types like this. Otherwise seems subpar.

>Flickerfield Mare
I just don't really see the point of the last ability. Strikes me as something that would be seen on a creature with a worse body.

>Razor Komodo
Seems OK.

>Mist Feeder
Still not sure how to judge Exhume.

>Colossal Cobra
One "l", two "s"es. Body seems off for both the cost and for having DTouch.

>Lithhide Toad
Lithhide? Not a fan of Regen.

>Prideful Outcast
Doesn't really strike me as common.

>Sunmane Tyrant
Same as above.

>Frightening Howl
Meh, seems OK.

>Go for Blood
Weird name. I think I'd rather the creature just get +2/+0 and gain Lifelink, no lifeloss.

>Acid Gout
Huh, kinda interesting. The debuff feels a bit too good though. Anyway, I think better wording would be
>[...] When that creature dies this turn, draw a card.

>Strength Siphon
Ugh, never like seeing P/T modifiers based on P/T counters. Also doesn't seems like a common, especially the last ability.

>Under Wraps
Not sure about this one. Interesting flavor though.

>Swamp Emergence
Just feels kinda random. Unsure about the tokens themselves.
>>
>>54855026
Feels like it should be uncommon. Just make the Invoke mono-Black, make the creature selected discard, and weaken the body. If you want the back to be so good, up the front as well.
>>
>>54855382
>Flickerfield Mare
I originally had it as a flat 2 life loss for the opponent, though I had it mentioned that a potential 4 for attacking was a bit much. I figured a smaller lifedrain would be more fair. It's also part of a cycle

>Prideful Outcast
I had it as a simple lifegain effect before I switched it to the Bones to work in that larger subtheme.

>Acid Gout
From what I saw, -2/-2 tended to cost 1 mana and -3/-3 tended to cost 2. I figured that the toughness was more key to the cost as it could secure kills, thus I met it halfway and then made it a more situational cantrip to help split the difference.
>>
>>54850054
Though I would like to agree that making the spell green would be fine, it is quite clear that wizards have been avoiding giving green a pay X make X tokens spell, with a most notable example and what I can remember as the only example being sylvan offering.
>>
File: Highlands Terror.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Highlands Terror.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54857063
Why do people keep saying "per turn"? Magic uses "each turn".

C'monnnnnnnn
>>
File: Spell Husher.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spell Husher.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Arcane Warden.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Brimstone Augur.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brimstone Augur.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54858561
Prowess feels a bit superfluous here. Aside from that though, the idea itself is alright, but it might be a bit much for a common. It scales up nicely and rewards tribal a lot.

>>54858697
This one I like a lot more. It's straightforward and nice for White. I do like it when White gets things to encourage noncreature spells more universally. Part of why I liked Prowess on them from Tarkir.

>>54858768
Seems fine. Goblin with a shock attached.
>>
File: Surge of Power.png (282KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Surge of Power.png
282KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54858561
I know this is common because of Spellstutter Sprite, but this is really still a common?
>>
>>54858697
I know why you made this, but I don't feel like it has any reason to exist. White just isn't about casting a lot of non creature spells. The other soul sisters make a lot of sense because white has a lot of creatures. It's not so much the case here. I assume prowess was justified in white because it feels like a combat trick which is a white specialty.
>>
>>54859317
I'd argue that it works from the fact that White cares about Enchantments and Equipments to a degree
>>
>>54859317
Eh, just looked up all the white noncreature spell trigger guys we got from Tarkir block and we did get a fat noncreature soul sister so I guess this card is fine. It just feels weird to me.
>>
>>54859401
I guess if you put it that way it makes sense.
>>
File: Monkeys Paw.png (273KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Monkeys Paw.png
273KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54859680
>T, Sacrifice a creature: Add a basic land of colors you aren't using to your hand
>>
>>54855382
You should clarify whether Jodah or the exiled card gets the mirror counter. Make the second ability an activated ability.
>>
>>54854829
Cavern Slug is too weak.
"...target player's library.."
Ravenous Gator is double pushed compared to Unruly Mob and Rot Shambler.
Mantis is below average filler.
Komodo's scavenge is too cheap.
Needs more exhume at common. Should probably be a triggered ability rather than a replacement effect.
Cobra is way too pushed.
Agree that outcast isn't common.
Don't put your impressive dinos at common.
The cantrip on Acid Gout is barely situational - you will almost always draw a card on your removal spell.
>>
>>54862193
>Cavern Slug is too weak.
I adjusted it to give a slight life-loss effect for the opponent. Hopefully that balances it out.

>Ravenous Gator

I can get rid of the menace conditional. I posted it a while back and didn't hear anything on it though, so I assumed it was fine

>Mantis
Would it be better as a 3/2?

>Komodo
Right...do you mean too cheap compared to the 5 for 3 of dreg mangler, the 7 for 3 of korozda monitor, or the 6 for 3 of thrashing mossdog?

Because personally, I was looking at the 4 for 3 of Zanikev Locust

>Exhume
Not sure what you mean by all this

>Cobra
How would you fix it?

>Outcast
I already changed it back to lifegain
>>
>>54862441
>Komodo
Korozda Monitor and Mossdog are common. 3/3 for 4 with keyword is at par/filler for common. They have expensive scavenge to compensate for it being a free spell in the graveyard.

Dreg Mangler at common is fairly costed for a 3/3 haste. Again, the scavenge is expensive.

Zanikev Locust is a subpar 3/3 flying for 6. It is generally overcosted by 2, and so has a slightly cheaper scavenge.

Razor Komodo is an at-par common or slightly below. It does not need a cheap scavenge.
>>
>>54862643
Or, crazy theory here, Scavenge costs are actually incredibly nonsensical and largely overcosted.
>>
File: Guardians of Tradition.jpg (198KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Guardians of Tradition.jpg
198KB, 744x1039px
Thinking about making feud winning rewards a little bigger. Maybe itd be more exciting. Also not sure if this needs an exile clause. Double regrow on spells usually does but words. If it does I may just make it eternal witness. I like he internal synergy
>>
File: Early Retirement.png (202KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Early Retirement.png
202KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54863588
Interesting flavor. Maybe make it whenever a player casts a spell though instesd of just you. This makes it feel a little closer to something like a tax effect in that it makes opponents think twice without casting things.
>>
File: Patience of the Fisher.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Patience of the Fisher.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>54863588
I'd agree with >>54863686

It is rather delayed and mana-intensive if it's relying on casting your own spells. Even if it is a universal exile, white gets those for pretty cheap.

Making it count both players would help it out a lot, though the only issue I could see there is someone trying to cast an enchantment killer, but it being the third spell. That's more of a rookie mistake, but it would feel bad.

I actually had a similar setup for pic related, a time delayed enchantment for a typical effect.
>>
>>54859680
>>54859731
If you are playing in a sanctioned event your opponent can only give you a card from your sideboard
>>
File: en_NKedJuudZp.png (177KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_NKedJuudZp.png
177KB, 265x370px
>>54861939
>You should clarify whether Jodah or the exiled card gets the mirror counter.
Eh, the wording works for Wizards, pic related.

>Make the second ability an activated ability.
Got it. Is the card OK otherwise?
>>
File: Tar and Feather (1).jpg (137KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Tar and Feather (1).jpg
137KB, 744x1039px
>>54863588
And while we're on the subject
>>
>>54864052
"when" not "if"
>>
>>54864527
That's pretty presumptuous, don't you think?
>>
>>54864599
He's only saying that because "if" is usually reserved for replacement effects. Could be "If enchanted creature would attack or block, exile it instead" I guess.
>>
>>54864599
It's just the way triggered abilities are worded.
>>
>>54864648
>>54864688
It was a joke, though I based the wording on dash type stuff. I actuslly had it as "When enchanted creature attacks or blocks, exile it." But changed it to delay for some reason I forgot. I think because it had something to do with comparisons with celestial flare or condemn versus pacifism or something.
>>
>>54864800
Dash says "if" because it's checking to see how it was cast. It's the same as the Kicker cards using "If ~ was kicked"
>>
File: Daughter of Autumn.png (250KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Daughter of Autumn.png
250KB, 375x523px
>>54863755
I think the sac should come before the draw, but other than that, it's wordy for a common, but at least seems reasonably in-line. I'd hope there are some ways to interact with it in the set; I've seen the Leech but will other colors have counter fuckery? Are counters a theme/subtheme?

>>54863588
You could make it an interesting punishment card and change the wording to put that ability on the creature, or focus on the creature's controller, so he gets to fuck his own creature.

>>54862828
I dunno if the feud really matters here, because you're very likely to win this, since you're in green, and you're not really risking the card you'll be pitching. I really like feud, but this particular implementation feels really lackluster to me.

>>54862702
Agreed; Scavenge is overcosted. RtR had several issues with that, but it was the first set we got during the "Great Standard Slowdown" so it felt really shitty. It'd be par for the course now though. Still, I think costing it a touch more aggressively is okay. It's extra value on a used card BUT it's also dependent on your board as to how valuable it really is overall. Scavenge cards are useless if you have garbage creatures/no creatures. It's one reason Embalm was a better mechanic because it gave you a body instead of relying on having one already to improve. Personally I think the Golgari getting a version of Embalm that just makes a generic Plant Zombie token would be awesome.

Have a weird sort-of-green Banisher Priest variant. I'm not 100% certain on the wording.
>>
>>54865075
I had +1/+1 counters as a larger theme, though as a whole I suppose I didn't have many ways planned to deal with it. There is Enchantment removal, as an obvious answer, but part of the idea was just to be a delayed draw spell.

I may end up introducing more counter removal effects in higher rarities though. I think that would leave Red as the only color really unable to interact with it in such a case.
>>
>>54865075
That card seems alright cost-wise, though it also feels weird to see Green causing a land to become less 'fertile', so to speak.

Still, Green does get Land destruction, and I'd say that's a rather fitting way to do 'toned down' land destruction in Green, similar to how Red has been getting land-freeze instead.
>>
>>54865118
You don't have to have counter fuckery per se; it just being a delayed spell without using Suspend is fine, since as you say Enchantment hate can deal with it, and that's something that can be readily found in most Limited environments.
>>
File: Inva'ado Defiler.jpg (173KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Inva'ado Defiler.jpg
173KB, 744x1039px
>>54865075
That you get the card back if you win the feud is the interesting part to me. With this effect, feud is pure card advantage if you win. I chose a restock just because I wanted to see what a more powerful win would look like. I actually started with a raise dead but decided that itd be more interesting to get back any card and green will probably get this the least so its important to me green does a neat thing with it rather than a random generic green effect. Is caring about the discarded card not an interesting angle? I kinda thought it was.
>>
>>54865804
Already fixed to creature card
>>
>>54865171
Yeah finding 'toned-down' ways to replicate mechanics they want to limit or do away with is fun to me. I've tinkered with Hexproof replacements as well, since it's likely to be fiddled with eventually for being 'untinteractive' like Intimidate was. And thanks.

>>54865804
Different strokes for different folks. Value isn't necessarily bad, I just found that card boring is all. Sometimes cards will be that way though. Can't win 'em, all, dude.
>Defiler
I'd rather this weren't a Vampire, but other than that, seems fine to me. Obviously the trick here is to hold onto a spendy creature you want to cast, cast this, pitch the creature, then put it on your field. A bit more interesting than the green one to me, but don't take mt opinions to heart so readily. You're gonna have plenty of naysayers before your set is done.
>>
>>54865804
>>54862828
These dont work how you think they do, since targets are chosen when the ability is put on the stack, before it starts resolving.
>>
>>54866009
Not him, but I'm embarrassed that I didn't consider that when reviewing them in the first place.
>>
>>54865804
>>54866009
>>54866053
I feel like the Defiler works out decently regardless though. Simply being able to return another high-cost creature you ditched for another feud is still a good upside.

It is a bit weird that winning gunfights raises zombies though.
>>
>>54865919
In setting vampires are the masters of most death related things as its an aspect of medicine the other clans don't take advantage of. The creature type isn't mechanically relevant, mostly a flavor thing. For example they can take the form of any specific creature or person they've killed or consumed in some capacity, usually blood, which is their biggest trait.

I can kinda get what youre saying anyway but I cant quite put it into words. Something about some kind of tension involving wanting to win. That was the thought process behind bigger effects. I feel like theres something I'm not quite seeing at face value gameplay wise.
>>
>>54866076
Flavor is that there is a tussel over a dead body and if the vampire wins it gets the body. With the green one, th flavor is someone is trying to destroy some aspect of their history and if they win you remember it. Feud isnt always a gunfight flavor wise. Most of the time it probably wont be actually except maybe on spells since I think I need a gunslinger creature type just to make sense and Id prefer it had mechanical relevance as a marker, like pilot in Kaladesh. Its why I havent been putting gun related creature types on my example feud cards yet even on ones itd make sense, like the outlaw or lawman
>>
>>54866009
Also thanks, funnily enough, i actually considered this since it didnt seem to make sense to get a target in the midde of the ability like that, but it read weird to me so i changed it to target
>>
>>54865075
To be honest, this feels like a blue card to me. I guess because of Imprison in the Moon? I like the flavor of trees dying though.
>>
File: Klaus the Toymaker.png (307KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Klaus the Toymaker.png
307KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54866827
I would say more because of Spreading Seas.
>>
>>54866866
>not a dfc featuring tim allen flipping into santa
smdh tbqh
>>
>>54866943
Tim allen card would need to have multiple forms, with "Tim allen, Home improver" being the strongest and loudest
>>
>>54866866
>Not makinging it an rg elf lord
>Not having it shit out artifact toy tokens that can be sacced for cards.

but like why?
>>
>>54866076
Yeah you're right I just kick myself every time I miss some Monday detail.

>>54866087
Fair enough. Fluff is important to 'sell' the set after all.

>>54866827
>>54866892
I wouldn't be opposed to making it GU; I love making GU cards and considered it but it felt doable in monogreen.

>>54866866
Santa is Jhoira? Jhoria is Santa? FINKLE IS EINHORN?!
>>
File: The Krampus.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Krampus.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>54866866
>>
File: Azian Liferoot Drainer.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Azian Liferoot Drainer.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Lightblade Conductor.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lightblade Conductor.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>54867367
I always liked the idea of more cards like Boldwyr Intimidator that make enemies into a certain creature type and then gives effects based on that type. I will say that this one isn't quite as straightforward with the flavor on it, though I think it does get across the idea of punishment quite well.

>>54867419
That's a lot of potential value, but it works together nicely. She doesn't feel too Green, although I suppose that's partly where the card draw comes in. If there's any part of her that feels like it would get out of hand, it's when you gain life and kill creatures outside of her own abilities. Still, as a legendary and with that cost, I think it would be okay. Still seems quite strong and useful.
Decided to try and toy with an idea. Not sure if the wording is quite correct on it though.
>>
>>54867481
~ has bushido X, where X is the number of cards in your hand. (Reminder text.)
>>
>>54867481
I think it should be like Fumiko.
>~ has bushido X, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
Maybe add something in case it doesn't get blcoked, like
>Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, draw a card.
Maybe, since with such low starting power, the opponent won't have much reason to block and potentially lose bigger creatures.
>>
File: Lightblade Conductor.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lightblade Conductor.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>54867512
>>54867519
Thanks. I did like the idea of giving a source of card draw on it, and having it give incentive for them to block works nicely in that regard.
>>
so red has goblins and dragons, blue has merfolf and sphinxes, green has elves and hydras, etc
what are the iconic creature types for the 10 guilds?
>>
File: Ghede Witch.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ghede Witch.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54867684
I would say that there aren't any.
>>
>>54867712
This should probably be legendary and could be mono black. Its a very cool idea I like it a lot.
>>
File: infiltrate.jpg (144KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
infiltrate.jpg
144KB, 750x523px
>>54867565
lower-case on Bushido, and 'whenever' not 'when' for the second ability, but that's pretty good. Certainly would have fit in with Kamigawa with its 'hand size matters' subtheme.

>>54867684
Good question. If I had to guess:
>Dimir
Human or Vampire
>Gruul
Beast
>Simic
Uhh...
>Selesnya
Elf or Centaur
>Boros
Human or Angel
>Golgari
Plant Zombie
>Izzet
Weird
>Azorius
Human
>Rakdos
Demon
>Orzhov
Spirit

>>54867712
Hm. There are a few Curses you could build around here easily, like Curse of Misfortune or Curse of the Bloody Tome. I'd adjust the body down a bit though; 2/4?

Okay, so which of these two do people prefer? The first one has way more design space but the second one is simpler and more evergreen-worthy; UB evergreens are a pet project of mine. Ultimately I think the first one would win out because you can do so much with it.
>>
>>54867684
Azorius has Veldalkan and Sphinxes
Boros has Soldiers and Angels
Selesnya has Elves and Wurms
Orzhov has Vampires and Spirits
Izzet has Goblins and Weirds
Simic has Merfolk and Mutants
Rakdos has Imps and Demons
Dimir has Shapeshifters and Horrors
Golgari has Insects and Zombies
Gruul has Viashino and Hydras

Keep in mind a lot of this is very, very loose due to the way Ravnica is set up, but those tend to be the more 'iconic' examples among those guilds. Boros, Selesnya, and Gruul are the loosest among them, which is fitting because they're also some of the more diverse when it comes to species.
>>
>>54867836
Hm yeah I fucked up my list. This one's better.
>>
>>54867814
Hmm, tough call. On the one hand, I prefer the first due to the versatility, but the more I look at the second, the more it reminds me of Prowl. It's basically a simplified, universal version, where you deal damage with the creature and it gives you a lower cost on the second. Plus it scales up with multiple creatures.
>>
>>54867882
Yeah for the second one I was thinking 'UB convoke' and figured that Cipher meant I could have combat damage interact with spells in both colors, so with this instead of the spell having the keyword, limiting your options, the creatures enable whatever spells you have on hand, so it's easier to build around. With the first one, obviously there's a near unlimited list of shit you can do with it. I do like me some self-contained keywords though, so it's hard to decide.
>>
>>54867814
The second version is very strong ramp, since it lowers the cost of all your spells and scales really well in multiples. The first feels like you're just keywording damage triggers.

Neither effect looks like an "infiltration". I'd expect the mechanic to primarily affect the damaged player, not myself.
>>
>>54867940
The flavor is that the infiltrating creature is making it easier ford you to do what you want to do, because your opponent is at a disadvantage. I know it affects you, but debuffing the opponent is a harder affair, and WotC is less likely to say "spells that player casts cost 1 more to cast" and more likely to just give you discounts due to their design philosophy.
>>
>>54867963
Sure you say the flavor is there, but it's hardly expressed by the card mechanics. Making opponent spells harder to cast also makes it easier for you to do what you want, since they are actually at a disadvantage.
>>
>>54867928
>>54867963
I feel like the biggest issue with this keyword is how universally applicable it is and how well it stacks with itself. While something like a UB convoke or Prowl only helps you cast your other UB cards, this would work for anyone. Which is good, since it means that if it went evergreen you could have a UBG faction that made good use of it to help summon Green fatties.

It is the sort of keyword that by design needs to be more limited in how many cards its on, and the cards it is on need to be more carefully costed.

It's the sort of thing that needs to be treated like Double Strike, Deathtouch, or Hexproof. It could be an evergreen keyword, but it's a strong and scarce one.
>>
>>54868015
Indeed, but I'm going off of likelyhood of the mechanic existing in terms of the game proper. I suppose there are things like Curses, but we don't typically get keyworded debuff mechanics, as I think WotC has the same aversion to them as it does to drawback mechanics. That's my own personal observation, mind. I'm sure you've already made up your mind. I see what you're saying, for what it's worth, but I think Curses are the closest we'll get to a recurring 'debuff' mechanic.

>>54868063
I agree. Also, it only reduces the colorless costs, so it's of limited value, and that's on purpose. If it were truly 'UB Convoke' then it'd be straight busted (and also wordier to boot). Of course the first version could never be evergreen, but might make a fun set mechanic.
>>
>>54868108
Yeah, I think it could work well as a mechanic, though I do kind of agree that Infiltrate sounds a bit odd for it. Perhaps 'Prepare' or something?
>>
>>54868133
I was toying with 'Collude' or 'Collusion' as well, but Infiltrate sounds better to me, is easier to recognize word and definition-wise, and since it's happening while the creature is tapped and having attacked and gotten through, it's 'behind enemy lines' so to speak, so to me, it works, but I am certainly open to suggestions. I dunno about 'Prepare' because that to me sounds like a pre-combat thing.
>>
>>54868161
It's a shame Conspire is taken. Maybe something like Pilfer? I'm not sure if many things get across the idea that it's attacking in order to get you resources for later.
>>
>>54868240
Ransack? Thieve? Pillage? A lot of this sounds like something red would do; straight-up stealing resources, if that's the angle you're going for. I wish I wasn't the only one that saw the fluff connection of infiltrators and advantages when it's not your turn, but eh. Everyone has their own opinion on these kinds of things.
>>
>>54868262
I dunno. Personally I'm still seeing it from the mindset of Prowl, so I keep thinking of this in terms of casting stuff in your second main phase, rather than the entire enemy turn.

Perhaps something like Lurk would be more fitting in that regard? That helps get across the idea that it's waiting to do something, without the implication of Infiltrate that it's harming your opponent in some way.
>>
>>54868283
Well, like I said, it kind of is, it's just that I can't justify to myself making it a mechanic that affects the opponent because design-wise, it's easier and more interactive for them to face someone who's got an advantage than when the opponent themself is disadvantaged. I dunno if that makes sense or not, but it's hard to describe. And I really don't want to keep harping on it.

Lurk sounds like it could be feasible, but it also kinda hearkens to Skulk, which has flavor attached to it already, so that might not sit well either. I swear, if the mechanic is easy to make, it's hard to name, and vice-versa.

I think I'll sleep on it though. Thanks for the input, anons!
>>
>>54867814
The first one, but make it

>As long as ~ is infiltrating a player, spells you cast that target that player or permanents controlled by that player cost 1 less to cast.

Wordier, but it makes it less ramp-y (which is a green thing) and more about sorceries and instants. Also makes more sense for multiplayer.
>>
>>54867684
You're mixing up "iconic" and "characteristic" types. Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras are iconic. Humans, Merfolk, Vampires (and/or Zombies), Goblins, and Elves are characteristic.

As for the dual-colors, they don't have either. The dual-colors get far less exposure overall than the mono-colors, so they haven't quite built up the repeating creature types that make up iconic and characteristic types.

That said, I will say that Spiders and Minotaur make good candidates for BG and BR respectively, both having shown up in those colors on different planes. As for the rest, we'll have to wait and see.
>>
File: Phirsashs Valor.png (239KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phirsashs Valor.png
239KB, 375x523px
I have a feeling this is a nightmare to balance. There's very little middle ground between "absolutely unplayable trash" and "game-breaking, stupid, and OP". Between those two, however, I aim for the lower side.

>>54835605
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
>>54869847
I don't think a monowhite Minotaur exists, and there also aren't any monoblack spiders. Closest you get is Spider Spawning.

While there are quite a few minotaurs in Boros, RG has the most Spiders
>>
>>54872705
I said Minotaurs are likely BR, Black-Red, Rakdos. I said this because they've shown up twice now as BR tribal, first in Theros, then in Amonkhet. I think having creature types show up in the same colors across multiple planes is important, otherwise you might say Zombies are UB because Innistrad, or WB because Amonkhet. Wizards will even alter types for the setting, like having Archons instead of Angels in Theros and Gremlins instead of Goblins in Kaladesh.

As for Spiders, that was the only hing that comes to mind, but I agree that it's tenuous. I'm not sure if any other type really comes close though. Insect, maybe? Hard to tell. Hopefully Wizards keeps going with their plan of having dual-color archetypes in each set so one day we can have iconic and characteristic creatures for each of them.
>>
As far as keywords go, would something similar to Fateful Hour, but with a higher life threshold be workable? The idea of Fateful your was cool, but 5 life means it won't come up that often.
>>
>>54874345
There was a guy here who used 10 life as a threshold. I think that could work, especially since a 10 life threshold was already used i ZEN, though granted it was for opponents rather than yourself. You'll probably have to playtest it to be absolutely sure though.
>>
File: Jhonias Dragonraper.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jhonias Dragonraper.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
After an old 1d4chan creation.
>>
File: Magus of the Boots.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Magus of the Boots.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Decided to do a Magus based on Equipment. Wondering if I should give the Magus the same bonus that the Equipment gives, and if it should use the "You may choose not to untap ~" thing.

>>54874792
Putting name and flavor aside, this should be White, and probably rare or uncommon. Really not much reason to be mythic or legendary. Very narrow.
>>
>>54874672
Yeah, i was thinking of having it around 10 or so. I think the issues would be that it might be high enough that people would actively hurrt their life total to get to that level, and then it would encourage hovering around that number greatly.

I think the biggest change would be that creatures might need to be smaller overall. Since people would be trying to stay at 10 health, having things with 8+ power might be a bit too much.
>>
File: Amthar the Flying Scythe.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Amthar the Flying Scythe.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Hello /ccg/

please rate my dream commander and give a bit of advice on its balance, thanks in advance.
>>
File: Godzilla.jpg (261KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla.jpg
261KB, 744x1039px
>>
>>54875320
I don't see the blue. Or the island bit. Feels like you just wanted to make him part blue and tacked it on
>>
>>54875319
Hmm, ability is similar to Cold-eye Selkie, though has a double-dose of evasion on top. Casting requirements are marginally more difficult, but for one mana more it has a lot of upsides. A 4/4 flying trample for 4 alone is already quite strong as far as stats go.

I would say to make it 3BG and lower the power or toughness by 1.
>>
>>54875349
What? He's a water animal. He lives in the ocean. Every movie where does he come from? The ocean.
>>
>>54849943
I like this, not just for the awesome border!
>>
>>54876859
This doesn't feel very Red/Black
>>
>>54877107
ok, what do you suggest?
Blue black maybe?
>>
File: Skyline Sentinel.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Skyline Sentinel.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>54874999
Run with it dude. 10 life is fine, and so is having big creatures. Forcing decision making isn't 'feel-bad', the only things that can qualify as that are cards and effects that aren't interactive and don't allow a player to play around them to some degree. Fateful Hour was too fringe because of the 5 life thing. If you find that 10 life is too much, split the difference; 7 life is a lucky number, and could work, and feels very white to boot since it's got fortune attached to it and all that superstitious stuff.

>>54875319
I'd like it better if it didn't fly, personally. Might mean a different creature type, like Wurm or Hydra, but I think the decisions the opponent has to make when the creature is blockable but can still deal damage are good for play. I'd increase the P/T to 6/6 and make the card cost 4BG myself.

>>54875320
The King of the Monsters is a hard sell in card form. I have yet to see a version I agree with 100%. I have to agree that the Island stuff feels tacked-on. Just because he comes from the water doesn't mean he needs blue in his cost. Really, Big G is RG at his core, and each version of him demands a slightly different card (OG, Showa, Hisei, Millenium, etc) with complimenting colors added on. Like GMK Godzilla would have black in his cost for obvious reasons. That sort of thing.
>>
>>54876859
>>54877166
I kinda get what you're doing here, and yeah, UB would be a better combination for it (changing creature types, lots of card draw, flying) but I'm not sure it should be hybrid. It's more of a gold card really.
"All creatures are Demons in addition to their other types.

Whenever a Demon deals combat damage to a player that isn't you, you and that creature's controller may each draw a card."

My biggest concern is how cheap it is and how fragile it is. in UB that's not the biggest issue because you can protect it, and it's a political card, but you will be getting so many cards that someone's going to want to get rid of it and you're going to want to force them to use heftier removal than a Shock or Disfigure. I'd make her a 1/4 flier for 3UB myself. Maybe 2/4. That way they have to break out the big guns to get rid of her and she's still a useful body while probably being more in-line cost-wise.
>>
>>54877558
The blue in Godzilla's cost is not just because he comes from the ocean but also because I wanted his entrance to have an impact. So I took this scene as inspiration: https://youtu.be/WujxSM2NmTg?t=135
>>
>>54877669
Fair enough; you can make that argument to be sure. Bearzilla certainly had the bearings of a natural disaster on legs, and what you have conveys the flavor of him flooding the coast when he makes landfall. But justifying it as "he's a water animal" is way more shaky.
>>
>>54877618
awesome, thanks for the imput, gimme a little while and i'll have a mock up
again thanks!
>>
>>54877558
I see what you're saying. Ill probably try a few numbers around 10 to see what feels good. One upside to it being a higher value is that the bonuses dont have to be as drastic, so it should be easier to make properly costed cards for it.
>>
>>54877618
>>54877898
There we go, also should have mentioned me and me mates are doing a hybrid thing, for our commander nights so that is why she is hybrid (still want to know the reasoning behind the gold though)

I changed the flavour around a bit also
>>
File: X Card Tempting Offer.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
X Card Tempting Offer.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>54878308
Also going to post a few Silly cards
>>
File: X Card Double Blind.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
X Card Double Blind.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>54878413
>>
File: Arcane Subverter.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Subverter.png
293KB, 375x523px
>>54877981
I agree; you want it to feel nice when it works and/or be helpful but not be hard to 'switch on' nor be infuriating to your opponent. I could see things like drawing a card, or gaining lifelink, or that sort of stuff depending on what colors you want it to show up in. Could even do the dichotomy of having black get what it had from Zendikar (creatures get stronger when your opponent is at 10 life or less) and give white the version that makes them stronger when you're at 10 life or less. Might make for an interesting set mechanic, where the game really ramps up near the end so it's more thrilling.

>>54878308
Gold cards are cards that have multiple colors in their cost. Hybrid cards are what you have there, and they have to fit into both colors to be hybrid (mono blue and mono black in this card's case) and sadly that effect isn't monoblack. It caring about demons is black, and blue loves card draw and can change creature types, but you really need to combine the colors to justify it. So again, I think it should be 3UB.

Playing with Infiltrate a little. This feels undercosted but Gonti is 2BB for a guaranteed card, so maybe it's okay since it has no evasion? This version of the keyword just has so many goddamn possibilities.
>>
>>54878473
Right i get you, thanks for clearing that up
>>
File: Card E Form Unbound.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Card E Form Unbound.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>54878422
>>
>>54878506
You can re-add the Demon subtype to her typeline if you wanted to. Also capitalize the word Demon in the first line; subtypes are always capitalized in card text.

Glad I could help.
>>
>>54878533
exellent, thanks
>>
>>54878473
I think I do personally prefer that other version of Infiltrate you suggeste before, although this seems like a better for for the name of the keyword at least. Effect seems rather fair for the cost, though I do feel like as a keyword it does take up a lot of real estate on the card.

As for the 10 life thing, I'd currently want it most within Red and White I think. I'm still working on the specifics I want for theme, but for Whie I think it would have more lifegain effects and comeback mechanics to float close to 10, while Red would be more concerned with extra punch as the game draws to a close. I may put it in Black as well, though probably more secondary in volume, and more concerned with messing with other people's values. Cards that care about your life being under something, your opponent being under, and ways to easily make who you need gain or lose life to negate bonuses.

It might show up a bit in Green and Blue, but I'm not as sure what do do for them. I may try and make it a central theme though, since that 'round two' feel to a game might be great
>>
>>54878974
Ah, the version that's self-contained? Yeah I like it too in terms of 'evergreen-ability' and not taking up so much room, but this version is basically like a repeatable Exploit, so you'd see cards along similar word count lines, though I should probably see how simple I can go with it too. I honestly don't know which one I'd use were I to use them. It's a 'design space vs brevity and ease of groking' issue ultimately.
>10 or less life
Red is an interesting place for it, yeah. Something like:
>Red
'you have 10 or less life' where cards get stronger power-wise and maybe they range from as simple as gaining haste to as complex as dealing blanket damage or something. Definitely a 'fight harder' sort of deal.
>White
'you have 10 or less life' effects meant to raise your life total or make your creatures more effective, if not necessarily offensive in nature. 'loses defender', 'gains lifelink', 'can block an additional creature' type effects would be neat. Toughness boosts too. Maybe even Ghostly Prison effects, or taxes?
>Green
'opponent has 10 or less life' to emphasize on green's willingness to prey on weakness because only the strong survive, laws of nature, etc. increased power, Flash, things of that nature to represent predatory impulse and 'smelling blood in the water'.
>black
'opponent has 10 or less life' and an opposite to white, making your creatures nastier against players with 10 or less life; opportunistic. less power boosting than green, and more additional keywords like Menace or Lifelink and effects that cause discard or even steal things from the graveyard to represent the enemy's weakened resolve.

Just my thoughts on the matter. It'd be up to you what you ultimately do with it.
>>
File: Gamblers Fallacy.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gamblers Fallacy.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
I am making a huge mistake.
>>
File: Defile.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Defile.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54880143
Isn't this basically just a slightly broader Emerge?
>>
>>54880221
seems like it and minus the alternative casting
>>
>>54880143
...I realize it's different, but I keep thinking to how poorly this compares to Bone Splinters. Instant-speed is cool, but still...
>>
File: redcommons1.jpg (1MB, 2292x1592px) Image search: [Google]
redcommons1.jpg
1MB, 2292x1592px
>>
File: 139.jpg (74KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>54881237
In case you weren't aware.
>>
>>54881608
Well, that's a shame. Guess I'll have to find something to replace that.
>>
>>54878526
"Your maximum hand size is increased by the number of creatures you control."
Alternatively, you could just play Spellbook.

>>54877558
As long as you have 10 or less life, ~ has vigilance and can attack as though it didn't have defender.
>>
>>54882096
>As long as you have 10 or less life, ~ has vigilance and can attack as though it didn't have defender.
Bleh, puts the card over 4 lines but I guess it can't be helped; you're the second one to insist on that wording. I really don't think it deserves to be uncommon.
>>
File: Hidden-Sand Village.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hidden-Sand Village.png
243KB, 375x523px
>>
Does anyone know some of the biggest effects allowed at common? Anything really.
>>
File: 13.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
>>54883839
You can have big, but simple effects at common, as long as they're appropriately costed.
>>
>>54883839
Pretty much >>54883906

I'd say the things that aren't really allowed at common are things that require a lot of text to describe the full effect of, aside from keywords, and then anything that would get crazy if you had decent odds at pulling 4 of them in a draft.

For example, 'take an extra turn after this one' is a pretty simple effect, and it could be entirely fair if it costs a ton of mana, but it still isn't the sort of thing that you want people to be pulling a bunch of. Similar case with Wraths.

If anything affects the entire board or a bunch of targets in a big way, it's probably too much for common
>>
>>54883946
Hell NWO red flags a common for targeting another permanent, nevermind anthems or anything like that. Now mind you red-flagging doesn't mean it can't exist as a card, it just means you can't have too many flagged cards is all. So something as simple as "T: Tap target creature." bites into your 20% red flagged commons.
>>
>>54884184
You should reread the redflagging primer.
>>
>>54884263
Kek I picked the one example that's the exception. Forgot about that. Doesn't much alter the general point though.
>>
File: Razorwasp Queen.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Razorwasp Queen.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
I was contemplating what to do about some of the keywords in my set, when I remembered Emerge existed. I may be exchanging it for Devour in Black on the whole, and putting it in Blue as well.
>>
>>54884716
With red getting Polymorph effects I wonder if that's going to change Emerge's primary colors. Might be something to consider.

Also it bugs me to no end that Insects just feel green, but because they often have flying, they can't/shouldn't be. Forces them to be black way too often. I guess scarabs and beetles and whatnot being green is good enough.
>>
>>54884834
>With red getting Polymorph effects I wonder if that's going to change Emerge's primary colors.
Not him, but why would it? Those are two completely different effects.
>>
File: Forest God Ternus1.jpg (295KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Forest God Ternus1.jpg
295KB, 744x1039px
How does this feel for a green comander in a set of 5 mono colour decks?
>>
>>54884834
Quick search says only about a third of Insects have Flying. Doesn't seem that bad to me.
>>
>>54885827
Boring. Off the top pf my head, maybe a card that ETB with +1/+1 counters equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it, then tap to ramp, and death trigger has you reveal the top X cards of your library where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on it and do something with them. Maybe all lands revealed put onto battlefield tapped? Or put all permanent cards CMC X or less onto the battlefield?
>>
>>54884716
Emerge always felt like it would do well in black where things dieing can net you benefits.
>>
File: Search the Archives.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Search the Archives.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
Not sure if this is too strong for common. I know for certain it's too weak for uncommon.

>>54880221
>>54880289
>>54880443
Yes. I could use emerge however I don't believe the flavor would be on point. It would be like a fairy scout having Ninjitsu.

>>54884716
You seem to have an extra set of brackets in your reminder text. Other then that good card!
>>
>>54885873
But comanders dont die so it would still need to be a sacrifice ablity.
>>
>>54885924
It's 3UU to just draw three at instant speed, granted at uncommon. Maybe reduce cost to 2UU?
>>
File: Forest God Ternus3 (1).jpg (202KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Forest God Ternus3 (1).jpg
202KB, 744x1039px
>>54885873
So a diet Genesis Wave rather then just Genesis Wave on a stick seemed a bit more fair.
>>
>>54881237
>Firejaw saber
Something tells me that the effect is really strong, at the moment I cant find any comparisons, as the gatherer is not working. Furthermore, I am not too knowledgeable about devour and how easy it is to create tokens within the set, so my only comment on the card is that a repeatable +3/+0 for R seems rather powerful. Of course I am talking from a draft perspective.
>Highland Terrors
from the big red guys with menace front, I would like to comment that shatterskull recruit and wayward giant are both at common. If you get a 4/4 menace for 5 mana, then getting an extra +0/+2, reach and a conditional +2/+0 for 6 mana seems a little bit too much at common.
>Cavecoil Crawler
At shoot 2 damage at anything when it dies, I would not mind first picking this card in a draft. Bogardan firefiend is a carbon copy but at 2R. Given that powercreep is a thing, I'd say that it would be more balanced when the targeting is restricted to only creatures or players, depending on the overall toughnesses of the set, but looking at the red mirror, everything at common dies against it except for the highland terror.
>Tundra howling
I do not know much about red anthem effects, except that it is unusual to get them at common on an enchantment, you might want to consider turning it into a sorcery, but that would make the token spawning awkward
>Twitch reflexes
you either deal the first strike damage and the creature blocking dies, or you deal the first strike damage, the blocker doesnt die and you bounce the creature back. I can barely imagine a situation where both counterparts of the spell are useful at the same time. Furthermore, it can be used as a combat trick, while at the same time be a answer to the opponents combat tricks.'you giant growth, in response I bounce back.' it might be a worse unsummon in that situation, but the fact is that the card is a little bit too versatile for the cost. I'd say put the initial cost at 1R or 2R, whatever makes you feel better
>>
>>54886710
> In harms way
The text on this card literally means nothing because it is at instant speed. you can just pump your creature after blockers are declared and then the attacking and blocking part of the card have no meaning at all. or you cast the +2/+0 on one of your blocking creatures and the the text again does nothing. either make it a sorcery, or think of another instant speed combat trick for red.
>Mirage wolf
This card seems rather awful, I dont know if thats intended or not. Thorn-thrash viashino is in comparisons leagues stronger. However I dont know wether that card was too much of a powerhouse in alara drafts or not. you might get away with making the mirage wolf a 3/3 or give it trample, I dont know really, but as it is now, it looks like a trap to draft it.
>weirding warrens
Four 1/1 bodies at common seems like a bit too much value. I'm getting serious lingering souls vibes here, except that souls also gave evasion which made it broken. I really like the card, but four bodies at common is rather overwhelming. Imagine drafting three of these in a single deck. thats terrifying.
>offered morsel
I really like this card, just wanted to say that.
>>
>>54884834
I think Polymorph is more involved with using the library. I might include some in Red at higher rarities, but for now I like where everything ended up.

>>54885884
Yeah, the more I thought on it the more it made sense. Compared to Devour, which is focused on eating a lot of small creatures, Emerge focuses on eating one big one. I thought it would work nice for Black, since Black isn't about sharing power, so you'd be cycling through a lot of bigger creatures with it.

>>54885924
Thanks. I think I transferred over the reminder text a bit messily.
>>
>>54886710
>Saber
I think it is more powerful than I first intended. The idea was that you'd be sacrificing its own attack to boost another, but I can see how that could get out of hand.

>Terror
I think I'll tone it down to being a 4/5 and scrap the artifact interaction.

>Crawler
Hmm, well, the two devour cards would probably end up blocking the shock, though you may have a point. I'll see if the mana cost needs to go up or the damage needs to go down.

>Howling
I was worried about that. I think I'll go with a sorcery, though I'm not sure how that makes the token awkward.

>Reflexes
I'd rather intended for it to be versatile. I'd also thought the cost might be fine, as it's either R for an R effect, or UR for something pretty versatile. I may bump it up though.

>>54886910
>In harm's way

My thought with it was that you could use it to specifically get an opponent's creature to block or attack if need be, letting you take out a pesky creature with a stronger one. It's not intended to be cast during combat, though it is an option.

>Wolf
I came up with it when trying to think of ways around scaling issues with Devour. I was considering giving it haste, but trample might be a better fit.

>Warrens
I see your point. I may try and bump up the mana cost of the flashback to help account for the potential advantage

>Morsel

Thanks! and thanks for all the feedback
>>
File: Lawmage Lithomancer.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lawmage Lithomancer.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>
>>54884716
I just want to say, I wish I had the time or knowledge to review your full common sets, but in general I like that your set seems to have a "feel". It's a very brutal and cruel world. It's kind of like if they made a whole set around Jund. I can tell what kind fo place it is just from the cards. The feel is very focused. I'm actually almost concerned that you have TOO MUCH sacrificing competing for space.
>>
>>54889014
Thanks. I was trying to balance out keywords for that reason. As far as commons go, most colors only have one or two cards that sacrifice others. Red and Green probably have the most.

I did attempt to include a lot of fodder for sacrificial effects by having more spells that created tokens or creatures that got a lot of their value from a death or Etb effect. I may need to rework some of them for Blue and Black, since now for those colors it's better for Emerge if they sacrifices are relatively costly.
>>
>>54889101
I think you wanted to only use old keywords, but I was thinking of suggesting replacing scavenge but for 1/1 tokens and flavoring it like when things come and eat a decomposing body, but I realized that wouldn't really synergize much with Emerge.
>>
>>54889133
I didn't intend to make use of them exclusively, but I also didn't see much need to reinvent the wheel.

That's also somewhat the flavoring with Exhume. Those cards involve the creature coming, digging at something that recently died, and possibly creating some tokens or getting another effect from it.

Granted, tokens themselves don't go with Emerge too well, but they can still be used. It works out nicely with both mechanics together though, as something with Exhume can create a token for something with devour, and then can be sacrificed for an Emerge cost due to being more pricey.
>>
>>54888989
Bear with conditional up side seems fine if a lot of things have that key word this would be a super stabilizing format
>>
>>54889520
Yeah, I had planned on it being one of the more major keywords of the set. Sort of focused on having a 'round two' of the game once people start getting low on life.

It would behave differently for different colors though, as Red would have more effects that improve its aggression to try and finish the game, while Black would have some cards that would care about the opponent's life total as well.

I did like the idea that the goal would be to try and float around 10 life to get the most value out of it, though it does feel like the set might end up a big more midrange/control?
>>
File: greencommons1.jpg (1MB, 2284x1584px) Image search: [Google]
greencommons1.jpg
1MB, 2284x1584px
>>54885924
This card does feel a bit pricey. It's really expensive to cast normally, and is only really worth it if you have spell mastery active.

I would say 4cmc would suit it better. Enough to make it useful as an instant speed draw for 2, and making it slightly cheaper than average as a reward for getting Spell Mastery active.
>>
If i wanted to have a creature have permanent level up counters would it be best to have the card state that moving to a different zone does not remove these counters or for it to make an emblem?
>>
>>54890273
I think you could take a page from Experience counters and have them be put on the player instead, so they'd linger endlessly regardless of zones. That only works if you have one card with the mechanic though, deal with them sharing the same type of counter, or give them all different counters named after their color or creature type or something.
>>
>>54890351
Thats a perfect solution thanks. treat them like energy counters and makes it possible to spend them haveing them be the same counter could make it be 5 colour good stuff but i think it wouldn't be that big of an issue if each is a legendary.
>>
File: hybrids colorless commons.jpg (715KB, 1908x1068px) Image search: [Google]
hybrids colorless commons.jpg
715KB, 1908x1068px
>>54890534
Glad I could help. And yeah, as long as it's mostly on rarer legendaries, the counters bleeding over wouldn't matter as much. You could help divide them further by making those cards have really color-intensive mana costs. If one costs 2GGG, for example, it'll be harder to try and fit into a multicolor deck, let alone a 5 color one.
>>
>>54890641
Would the cards that care about most need to specify among players or is it a given that doenst need clarification?
>>
>>54890641
>>54891081
I think you might be right. May need to be "~ gets +1/+1 as long as you are the player with the most cards in hand."
>>
>>54890641
Glad to see your set coming along and that people are enjoying it. We needed someone to stick with it and get people talking about setbuilding again; it's good for the thread overall.
>>
>>54843901
Shuffle the target's graveyard into the copy's library and I'll allow it.
>>
>>54891469
Yeah, I'm glad people seem to be liking it and making lots of helpful suggestions. I've had to rework things quite a bit, but it's coming out better than I'd hoped.

I already have some uncommons lined up once I get to working on them.
>>
>>54891703
Well stick with it. You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Also good to see you giving more feedback with your posts too.
>>
>>54890534
I'm not sure the flavor, but if they're all mythics, I think it'd make really interesting and flavorful designs if they in fact all used different counters, something like a black legend that says whenever you kill a creature, you get a cruelness counter, or a blue one that says whenever you draw a card you get a curiousness counter, and they get more powerful the more cruel or curious or whatever you are.

I actually want to make these cards now, lol. The flavor is crazy.
>>
File: Soulshard Fabricator.png (274KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Soulshard Fabricator.png
274KB, 375x523px
shitty card bump
>>
>>54894701
Hmm, seems a bit hard to judge, since you could mill or Entomb a big fatty, then copy its body continually.
>>
File: Thotslayer.png (301KB, 373x525px) Image search: [Google]
Thotslayer.png
301KB, 373x525px
r8 my joke
>>
File: Sylvan Apostle.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sylvan Apostle.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>54885978
>>54890081
2UU at common or uncommon?
>>
>>54896076
I would say it works better as an Uncommon. Spell mastery isn't exactly difficult to trigger, and if somebody pulls a bunch of these, they stack with themselves to end up with very efficient draw power.
>>
File: Rod Power Marine Hero.png (276KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rod Power Marine Hero.png
276KB, 375x523px
>>
File: BtG.jpg (329KB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
BtG.jpg
329KB, 1125x1046px
I haven't posted to one of these threads before, but I'm making a joke deck to pull out on one of my friends. It's going to be a bunch of iconic magic cards changed to 2/2 bears with effects changed to be more "green". The issue I'm having is that I have no idea how much I should drop mana costs for the decrease in power and toughness on most of these. Also, any suggestions on cards to make into bears?
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>54894701
Hi.
>>
>>54896465
And? A 12/12 token with that setup isn't that thrilling.
>>
>>54896600
For 1, you drop it, then it gets sac'd. Now you can pump out a 12/12 token every turn for 3B.
I think it's pretty nice.
>>
>>54896667
Guess I should just quit making cards then. Cheers.
>>
>>54896667
Alternatively, you stifle it on turn 2 and kill them by turn 4.
>>
>>54896336
You're like that guy who made Jace-themed cards like "Opaline Jacers", but way less clever. The only one that's remotely clever is Grizzlybrand. And even then you should change it to Grizzlebrand.
>>
>>54896752
Probably for the best. Good riddance.
>>
File: Pun.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pun.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>54897247
>Opaline Jacers
I laughed. Do you hate fun or something?
>>
>>54897639
I was saying Opaline Jacers is clever because it's a pun. Platinum Bear and Baneslayer Bear are neither of those.
>>
File: Two-Pair Takedown.jpg (223KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Two-Pair Takedown.jpg
223KB, 744x1039px
Can I use this wording for this? It was the only way I could make this read ok.
>>
>>54899176
Yes, but you only ever get to target one thing.
>>
File: Witchblade Outlaw.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Witchblade Outlaw.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>54899176
I think a better way to phrase it would be to lead with the Feud and the effect, and then based off of Remorseless Punishment, have it end with 'Then, repeat this process once.' In order to have it activate two times.

I'd also say the mana cost could be lower based on what >>54899220 said. In that instance, it's basically a riskier shock with a bit of universal looting attatched.

Trying a few one-offs for potential ideas for a set. I had an idea for this card to have Prowess alongside a second conditional Prowess, but that seemed too intricate for common.
>>
>>54899220
Seems weird. Each one doesn't let you pick a new one? Also I forgot I don't think I can target anyway.
>>
>>54899290
Reason i went with Torment of Hailfire wording was because it read less ambiguously. I thought maybe itd be weird if the repeat came after everything because it might read like you just repeat the ping since its a seperate sentence. If it comes before its less ambiguous that you repeat all the text following.

Also I dunno man. Instant speed faithless looting that can become some amount of shock/twin bolt which was the intention seems hard to put at 1 cmc even if the opponent also draws two but maybe. Mostly this was an experiment in seeing how to word multiple feuds and also to see if its interesting just as draw.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.