[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong of me to be a practical player? >sure GM your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0499.jpg (109KB, 544x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0499.jpg
109KB, 544x626px
Is it wrong of me to be a practical player?

>sure GM your magical armor is cool and all, but chain mail weights half as much and only differs by one armor point.

>yea we could attack the natives with our army,but the mineral we need is underground and fireproof and we have a spaceship and the capacity to drop meteors

>yes we have to save the princess but we have a month before the next full moon, let's just bring the army
>>
>>54828502
>cool the giant door is made of unbreakable adamantium, but the wall around it isn't
>also sweet, several tons of free adamantium
>>
>>54828502
If you have access to the resources I certainly wouldn't punish you for doing any of those things. The armor point is a bit metagamey, but favoring chainmail for the weight difference is believable enough.
>>
>>54828546
This is basically the backstory for Braum from League of Legends.
>>
>>54828502
Depends. Sense the tone. If you're doing it all the time, disrupting sessions or pissing people off, try and go a little more with the group mood.
>>
>>54828604
I mean I sure do try, but I feel like in a choice between charging the troll and running away Eric the noble would pick the later.

Despite how easily the others would do it
>>
>>54828574
That's literally his backstory.
>>
>>54828502
Unless you're actively stealing other characters' thunder on a regular basis, it should be fine. It's really the GM's job to make sure everyone has a chance to be the problem-solver.
>>
>>54828883
I think the OP is more concerned about being anti rule-of-cool or anti-narrative, where they tend towards the logical course of action despite it often going against the story intended by the GM.

That's really a matter of your GM and the rest of your group, as to the tone they want to go for. If the GM wants a more traditional fantasy story, I think some amount of "just go with it" is necessary for things to run smoothly. If the GM is all for interesting solutions and critical thinking, then the pragmatic approach sounds like the way to go. This means a very different kind of campaign though, and potentially more effort on the part of the GM to make sure their world is in keeping with this kind of approach.
>>
>>54829048
>dropping meteors from space
>not rule of cool
>>
>>54829094
You could do it with our rules of physic I mean, it's not smarter than dropping rods. But if you have to do stuff in a pinch, then go for it.

It's why avatar is a bad movie
>>
It's only a problem if you're robbing the other players from having fun. Are the others in your group looking to be more traditional big goddamn heroes and you're pulling that rug out from under them or are you all in the same boat?
Talk to your group, not us.
>>
>>54829094
I was having a hard time phrasing it. Clearly the GM in that circumstance had a story they were intending the players to follow, and the meteor-dropping totally sidesteps that story. It's a cool, creative solution, but it could still be frustrating if the GM had a whole plot prepared. Hence it depending on the GM for whether or not they want player-driven twists like that.
>>
>>54828546
I think almost everyone did this in D&D when faced with the ole adamantium door.
>>
>>54828502
Not necessarily.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.