[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you handle prophecy in your games? If you've had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: oracle-delphi.jpg (67KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
oracle-delphi.jpg
67KB, 600x411px
How do you handle prophecy in your games? If you've had any visions as a player recently, what were they? What makes visions and prophecy work or not work?

I'll start.

>Playing a cleric of Athena
>Walking allong
>Spot owl
>Owl is staring at me, noone else sees it
>Realize whats happening, go to drop to one knee
>As i avert my gaze, i find myself in an abyss, standing on nothing, behind me the entry to the afterlife, before me the foggy fields and below me Tartarus
>No souls are visible, and where the titans should be chained is nothing
>suddenly a great hand comes from the abyss, it looks like that of a titan
>When the hand grabs me, i find myself on a battlefoeld strewn with corpses, on one side the savage northeners, on the other the not!romans
>Three robed figures appear atop a hill, and with an unholy light they begin some chant, and the northeners begin to rise
>I look up and see a winged shape which quockly resolves into a pegasus, it carries me high into the air and i watch as stars fall, lightning strikes the earth, and the ocean rolls in to reclaim all
>>
>>54823917
>How do you handle prophecy in your games?
I stab the prophet before he finishes speaking
>>
It's difficult to take prophecies seriously when the players are of low moral quality, violent, and vicious.
>>
>>54823917
I might be more vague and give the players a slight mechanical bonus.

e.g., "the stars are right for violence," might give a +1 to attacks for that session.
>>
>>54824070

Thats more astrology and portents than true prophecy though
>>
>>54824278
...which is why I said that I would make it more vague.
>>
Typically a medium enters a trance and produces a rant with statements that can be read multiple ways.
Ex: "and then all is darkness" just results in one guy getting blinded
>>
>>54824793

I thonk that approach works for different circumstances, but sometimes you need to be more direct for a warning from a god or whatever. Both cirumstance and source matter.

>>54823952

What do you have against seers? They're a perfectly good plot element, as long as they aren't being used to enforce "you have to take this action with this goal at this time or die"
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.