[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, a recently ended thread about the business of fantasy designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1501308853488.png (148KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
1501308853488.png
148KB, 960x800px
So, a recently ended thread about the business of fantasy designs went it's usual course, and leaves me wanting to address something.

>it's fantasy it doesn't have to make sense!

Why do the sticklers for realism almost immediately resort to this ridiculous strawman? The argument is not, and has never been that it doesn't have to make sense; everyone knows good fiction has to make sense. The argument has always been "it's fantasy, it doesn't have to be realistic" which is of course absolutely true, and indeed necessary for fantasy to function, unless one is going to argue that including magic and dragons and other such in a fantasy series automatically makes it bad, in which case why bother?

Just because the weapons and armor within a setting aren't "realistic" doesn't mean they don't make sense, it just means that they ignore the laws of physics as we know them, because the laws of physics limit the available forms of arms and armor.
>>
>>54821190
>plate bra
>leather corset
>>
>>54821237
Kek. Although this image was brought up by a realism stickler as a "good" example of fantasy armor, I knew damn well there was plenty to gripe with, thus proving the point that it's totally "lifted out of a history book" that many such sticklers clamor for.
>>
>>54821282
I personally don't mind some degree of silliness in fantasy designs,but it really depends on each specific case. Also, no explanation is better than an unconvincing explanation for those,
>>
>>54821448
I'm pretty sure glass armor has an explanation.
>>
>>54821237
>Solid plate protecting the chest and vitals.
>Flexible leather (at least--it may be layered) protecting the abdomen, leaving it free to move, twist, and bend as necessary.

It checks out.
>>
File: 14741.jpg (76KB, 400x593px) Image search: [Google]
14741.jpg
76KB, 400x593px
>>54821190
Because :

Suspension of disbelief.
Secondary believes.
Verisimilitude.

This is an unwritten pact between you and the audience. It depends on the setting, aesthetics and its mood. People will be willing to tolerate impossible things so long they are consistent within the setting and/or have an explanation behind it. However, if you violate the unwritten contract, they will raise the eyebrows and break the spell.

Take Superman. People are willing to buy that Superman has superpower and all because its both part of the implicit agreement with the author and it is explained in-universe (superman is an alien from Krypton). However, people don't accept how everybody in Metropolis is so dense to not recognise Clark Kent as Superman with glasses. The narrative tension this creates MUST be dissolve somehow, in Superman case by turning into a running joke, a wink to the audience.
>>
>>54821190
>everyone knows good fiction has to make sense
It can make sense and still be unrealistic, if all fantasy was 100% realistic it would be boring and pointless
>>
>>54821190

"Inside it, what [the author] relates is "true": it accords with the laws of that world. You therefore believe it, while you are , as it were, inside. The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed. You are then out in the Primary World again, looking at the little abortive Secondary World from the outside."

Tolkien on Secondary Belief.
>>
>>54822591
And how many fantasy settings have you seen that are truly inconsistent in a way beyond "doesn't satisfy the pedantic tastes of sticklers?"

>However, people don't accept how everybody in Metropolis is so dense to not recognise Clark Kent as Superman with glasses.

Lots of people do, and it's easy enough to swallow when you consider most people wouldn't think that the, admittedly beefy, slouching nerd was the living god that saves the world on a regular basis. They lampshade it, but they also lampshade superman's power.

>>54822602
My point exactly.
>>
>>54822693
Missing my point entirely. He said according to the rules of that world, not our world.
>>
>>54822694

Lampshade handing is an absolutely crucial thing. Don't underestimate or sneer at your audience. It's the only reason most people don't see it as a farce.
>>
The three levels of people accepting BS in fiction:

-Suspension of disbelief. - The ability to accept impossible things
-Secondary Belief - The ability to accept that impossible things have rules.
-Immersion. - The sum of both of them. You believe in the world of that story.
>>
>>54821190

I don't care if it is real or not. This kind of art is hideous.
>>
>>54822846
... because?

Honest to God question. I mean it's not my thing, and it's weird because of proportions, but wouldn't call it hideous. It's still well-drawn.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.