[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about skills in RPGs. I think skills are interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Let's talk about skills in RPGs. I think skills are interesting in concept but I can't help but think that they are virtually any afterthought in most RPGs. They feel included because designers assume that no system is complete without them.

What are systems that do skills right to you? What are some RPGs that you think would be better off without skills? How do you make skills interesting in your games?
>>
I think making a game built around the skills would make skills a tad more useful. I'm trying to make a game like that, though it's slow going.

But what games have skills that you feel are done as an afterthought?
>>
Easier to list games in which they don't feel like an afterthought. I think the trouble for me is that most RPGs can have a bunch of skills but the combat section out is almost always longer and more complex by a wide margin.

Two notable RPGs that I think have good skill systems are Basic Role Playing and unironically GURPS.
>>
>>54810890

What makes them both good though?
>>
Skills are godlike tools that help make a character feel more real.

I have yet to find a system that fucked up skills.
>>
>>54809845

Arbitrary skill lists are a toxic idea that needs to be eliminated from the industry. It applies to stats too, but it's often way, way worse with skills.

Looking at an RPG's skill list should tell you what that RPG cares about. It should convey its priorities through which skills are specific and which are broad. A game about spies might have a dozen different skills for aspects of the craft, but a pulp game might have all that condensed into two or three.

A skill list should be fundamentally rooted in the tone, theme and genre of the game. If you do so, it's basically always going to be an asset.

The problem is lazy or ignorant devs who fill their games with pointlessly long and expansive skill lists, covering things their system clearly doesn't care about but putting them on par with things which are nigh on necessary to function. That's a real way to fuck up a skill system.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.