[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simple question about D&D and other similar RPG's, when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 3486166441_8110e2fba9.jpg (132KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3486166441_8110e2fba9.jpg
132KB, 500x375px
Simple question about D&D and other similar RPG's, when you roll a dice to dodge something and you are a light, cunning, roguish kind of guy, how do modifiers work? you roll the normal dice, and then like adds +5 because you have 5 dexterity or something like that? How do modifiers in general, work?
>>
Uh... Kind of. Though you tend not to roll to dodge, the person trying to hit you rolls to see if they roll equal to or over your armor class number, which would be high if you are good at dodging.

This might be the first time I've seen someone on /tg/ that didn't know DnD.
>>
>>54803712
Why are you asking a question about D&D that's answered in the first few pages of the PHB in every edition? I haven't seen an OP this stupid since 2014.
>>
>>54804048
This guy could be interested in gaming. I'm not gonna call him an idiot for trying to learn.

Though yeah, get the books. There's a PDF share thread going. Ask for the DnD 5e players handbook.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>54803712
In most versions of D&D you don't roll to dodge. You roll to hit, taking your Base Attack+roll vs their Armor Class. If the result meets or exceeds their AC, you hit, if it doesn't, you miss. Which can be taken as the PC dodging the attack, but it can also be taken as you just missing, or not getting through their armor. Hence the name Armor Class.

So, say for instance, I have a BaB of 11 and you have an AC of 20. I'd have to roll an 8 or higher to hit you and cause damage.
>>
>>54804196
Total attack roll of 32. I hit, and roll damage, which varies depending on the weapon.

It is possible for someone with a feat "Dodge" to declare dodge on an opponent, raising their AC by 1. It's obviously not the only feat to raise a person's AC.
>>
>>54803712
In GURPS you roll to dodge.

Simply put, you have Dexterity and Health, which when added together and divided by 4 you get your Speed. Adding 3 to your Speed and drop the fractions you have your Dodge. The Dodge is modified further by encumbrance, and if you are at less than 1/3 HP your Dodge is halved.

To Dodge, you have to be attacked by a successful attack (duh). Then you roll on 3d6 vs your Dodge score, modified by all relevant modifiers. If your roll is equal to or less than your Dodge score, you have succeeded - otherwise you fail.
>>
>>54804906
I have seen people get pissed though when they roll to hit and succeed, but then their opponent dodges. You need to make sure your players aren't expecting DnD.
>>
>>54804196
>I have a BaB of 11 and you have an AC of 20. I'd have to roll an 8 or higher to hit you and cause damage
>>54804239
>Total attack roll of 32
>11+11

Anon, I get what you're trying to illustrate, but maybe you aren't the guy who should be talking about math.
>>
>>54805576
If everyone knows it's GURPS, and knows the gist of the combat, they wont get mad because it's a core part of the game.
>>
>>54803712
>a dice
Just fuck off already
>>
File: chalkboard.jpg (125KB, 565x329px) Image search: [Google]
chalkboard.jpg
125KB, 565x329px
>>54803712
Most games don't have dodge rolls, but merely attack rolls. In D&D, you're rolling a twenty-sided die and adding your Attack Bonus* to that, which could include a Modifier like you're talking about (a +2 Dexterity Modifier when shooting a bow, for instance). So you roll the die, add in your Attack Bonus and try to get as high as possible.

If the result is at least as high as your target's Armor Class, you hit them. The base number for your Armor Class, unsurprisingly, comes from what kind of armor you're wearing. You get to add your Dexterity Modifier to this, making you harder to hit. So let's say you're wearing Leather Armor, which gives a base Armor Class of 11, and you've got a +2 Dexterity Modifier: that means you end up with an Armor Class of 13 (11+2=13). So in order to hit you, an attacker would have to get a 13 or higher on his attack roll.

Does that make sense?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.