[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is the age old question, /tg. How the rainbow-coloured-dragonSHIT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: dont lose your head.jpg (88KB, 444x650px) Image search: [Google]
dont lose your head.jpg
88KB, 444x650px
It is the age old question, /tg.
How the rainbow-coloured-dragonSHIT do you do mass combat/ pitched battles in rpg's!?
>>
>Savage Worlds has its own system for this
>There's even optional rules for medieval sieges
>Players can do more than simply command their troops, albeit often at risk to themselves
There, done
>>
Players are given (or come up with) quest to make their side win or have a significant advantage.

Players do quest.
Assuming quest is believable, player side wins.

There, done.

"But what if the pitched combat is somehow spontaneous????"

Run combat with the players vs some of the enemy army as a microcosm of the battle.
The more the enemy army outnumbers the player army, the more fights the players have to have in a row. It's a mini-quest! Players can retreat if necessary.

If the players win then their side wins.

There, done.
Usable in any system!
>>
>>54797737
Most good systems have subsystems for this. Usually I benchmark each unit as 1D6, then move them in ranks through the field. Players are 1D6 as well. When two blocks collide they roll off, whoever loses spins down their D6 by the number they lost by. RPS advantage confers a re-roll. If you've got enough D6s you can color code based on unit type.
>>
If your characters aren't playing as commanders, move the ebb and flow of the battle as the plot demands.
>>
>>54797824
Expanding on this you can have the players stumble on key areas of the battle either in a pre-planned or a random manner, where their performance impacts the battle around them. You can make it a sort of 'you need to win 3 engagements before you lose 3' type of scenario or you can go more narrative, with the following fights becoming harder after a defeat, and easier after a success to simulate enemy morale.
>>
File: twwh_chaos_sigvald_logo.png (155KB, 271x276px) Image search: [Google]
twwh_chaos_sigvald_logo.png
155KB, 271x276px
>>54797737

I play a big battle using wargaming rules and miniatures, warhammer fantasy in particular. It's what most of us know.
>>
File: men_and_magic.jpg (38KB, 450x630px) Image search: [Google]
men_and_magic.jpg
38KB, 450x630px
>>54797737
D&D was originally a supplement to a wargame.
You only use it to simulate dying in pits, a la. The Hoard of the Gibbelins.

Normal play is dictated by CHAINMAIL.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.