[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you think tabletop games are good for horror? As good as vidiya?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0497.jpg (149KB, 1100x739px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0497.jpg
149KB, 1100x739px
do you think tabletop games are good for horror? As good as vidiya?

Have you ever played a horror tabletop game?

What kind of horror scares you the most? What kind is best for tabletop?
>>
>>54771227
I dont think you can make a *scary* tabletop game without some really extensive prep work but then again, I'm a noob so I wouldnt be surprised if there is a way.
>>
>>54771227
Yes, they can be, but in a different way and they require a lot of prep work. It also has to be a system dedicated to horror (Call of Cthulhu for example). I've run a few games where I genuinely scared and unsettled my players, but it's usually pretty difficult.
>>
It works. Ran a lot of horror, usually with WoD mortals but anything not too complicated is fine. You absolutely need people who want to be scared, though. Also, I recommend groups of 2-4 people, and clear up limits beforehand.

>Be ominous
Not everything needs an explanation. Do not worry about the 'rules' of the supernatural. Let them know the source eventually, but not its means. Do not show the 'monster' for more than a tiny bit at once, or it will become a 'character' that the players will attempt to manipulate.
>Let them feel powerless
>Let them feel unsafe
>Do not show mercy
Hurt them. Cripple them. Physically or mentally. Do not make it impossible for them to act, though.
>>
Had my players play themselves in a horror campaign, it didn't end well. Essentially ended in a heated debate between several players over who would win a fight to the death.
>>
>>54771227
I don't really think games in general are good for horror. Almost by definition, games are about making choices, with the expectation that good choices lead to positive outcomes, and bad choices lead to negative outcomes.

Horror, in most of its forms, doesn't mesh with that kind of format well. You don't want to leave options open that can avoid the horror part through sufficiently good choices, and that means edging in on the choices the players can make, which starts whittling into the "game" part of the horror game.

Passive media, books and film and the like, do horror much better than games do.
>>
>>54772132
depends how well you do it. Sufficiently immersive and the narrowness of choices isn't noticed.

Personally I've got more scared playing horror games than watching any horror movie.
>>
>>54771227
It's mentioned in a lot of horror threads, but one of the biggest factors in whether or not a game will be scary is if the players themselves are invested in the horror and WANT to be scared.
>>
They are great at exploring the themes of horror. And inasmuch as players in a roleplaying game are active participants in the creative process, the argument that roleplaying games aren't "scary" doesn't hold much water, since it's not like the litmus test for other horror works is how much they scare their creators, right?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.