[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would anyone be interested in a fast paced, universal rpg system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 7

Would anyone be interested in a fast paced, universal rpg system that is based around realism while staying simple?
>>
>>54770264
I'm making one
Rn it's called Lamentum and I've been playtesting it with friends, it's been going well
>>
>>54770240
>realism
the dumb kind or the dumb kind?
>>
>>54770318
Care to post what you have? I can always appreciate a new system for one-shots.
>>
>>54770240
AFMBE
they ya go
>>
>>54770447
I dont want to post the whole manual because I want to make this legit and I dont have any legal protection, but it has locational damage, sanity, ailments, carry weight, dodging
It's a d20 system that doesn't have DCs, instead you are always rolling towards 20 by adding skill modifiers to rolls.
>>
>>54770988
So how do you account for varying difficulties of actions?
>>
>>54770988
That doesn't sound fast paced or simple, and your reluctance to post what you have makes me think that it's garbage.
>>
>>54771080
number of rolls and skills involved in the action. Skills are more based off character abilities and what the GM deems reasonable.

>>54771115
I dont want to post it because I think it's really good and want to keep it out of circulation untiI it's my intellectual property
>>
>>54771195
You do know that we're going to steal it anyway, right? Well, if it ever comes out and you're not full of shit. Which I suspect you are.
>>
>>54771247
Im going to put the pdfs on the website for free
why are you being such a dick about this?
>>
>>54771080
>>54771195

>number of rolls and skills involved in the action.
That would account for the differing capacities of characters, but how do you account for differences in the difficulty of actions? Especially for characters with low skills, how do you differentiate between the act of something like picking a flimsy lock vs picking a very intricate lock, if the condition for success is always trying to roll a value of at least 20?

>Skills are more based off character abilities and what the GM deems reasonable.
If the GM has the ability to arbitrate the influence of character skills, isn't that just a DC by another name?
>>
>>54771270
Because you're being phenomenally stupid and I have very little patience for that sort of thing. Now post your shit or get out.
>>
>>54771332
>Flimsy lock vs picking a very intricate lock
I'm still working on small stuff like this, but I'm thinking of having checks being made several times to complete the action.

>...DC by another name?
to determine if a player is even allowed to check for something, like jumping 100 feet in the air or charming a king to give up his whole kingdom.
>>
>>54770240
GURPS?
>>
>>54771440
I think I'm being very reasonable and making it very clear why I'm not posting it

do you have any questions about the state of the system or the actual mechanics?
>>
>>54771479
I played gurps and didn't like the 3d6 system and thought it went too far in the realism aspect
>>
>>54770240
>Hey guys I've made the holy grail of RPGs
>No I won't post it
Is this bait?
>>
>>54771517
It's not finished and I don't want it in circulation until it's my intellectual property
>>
>>54770240
How would I build Luke Skywalker, Bilbo Baggins, and the Hulk in your system?
>>
>>54771544
Then don't post about it on /tg/?

This doesn't seem very difficult.
>>
>>54770240
>realism
>simple
choose one

I have a shadowrun-like d6pool shitty homebrew I use for mechanics, while I just fake the realism (dice fall how they may, but the flavor text's adhering to realism as much as it can).

It's a very shitty system that's basically only good for 2-3 session diablo-clones (megadungeon included) and nothing else.
>>
>>54771458
>having checks being made several times to complete the action.
Again, this seems like more pseudo-DC. If a low-skill character has to make multiple rolls to succeed, it's leading to a very similar outcome of a system which incorporates DC. The lack of variable DC in your system may also restrict the freedom of GMs to express difficulty beyond the range of 1-20.

>to determine if a player is even allowed to check for something
And if the GM has the authority to deny or outright fail a player's attempts based on their assessment of the situation, rather than through rigid mechanical comparison, you may have players feeling as though the agency of their characters is being restricted.
>>
>>54771555
>Luke
High fitness and focus then put points into gymnastics and melee skills

>Bilbo
High perception, Fitness and intuition then put points into charm and stealth

>Hulk
Fitness and Brawn, then put points into unarmed

In it's current state there isnt a magic system but Ill probably make a universal magic system and then different ones if I get the oppurtunity to make different settings
>>
>>54771490
I would like to ask why you thought it was a good idea to waste everyone's time with your literal nothing system.

I would also like to question what you think intellectual property means. Because I don't think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>54771570
I'm just getting the word out before I get the kickstarter and website up

its advertising 101: have an audience before release
>>
>>54771641
>fitness and brawn
What about science skills?
>>
>>54771544
utterly retarded assumption that you can lay claim to a series of dice rolls aside, >>54771570 has the right idea
>>
>>54771649
Yeah but now I can't be interested out of spite.
>>
>>54771649
Congrats mate, you've alienated your audience by playing a cocktease. Reasonable or not, that's how this site works.

Fucking newfags need to lurk moar.
>>
>>54771649
>Hey guys, I have this super cool thing that I want to give you!
>Cool, can we see it?
>NOOOOOOO IT'S NOT READY!!!!

You're a piss poor advertiser. If you actually took a class for this shit then I'd have your teacher beaten with a goddamn rope.
>>
>>54771641
How would the airport fight scene from Captain America: Civil War play out in the system? If you're not familiar with the movie, just imagine a battle between two teams of 5 superheroes of your choice.
>>
>>54771598
>Choose one
I'm trying to strike a nice balance

>>54771636
I think you are giving too much credit to DCs. In this there is no arbitrary number that gets made up by the GM, characters that focus on certain skills are marginally better than characters that don't focus on them and the players always understand what they are rolling towards.
That being said, characters have armor class but they have seperate armor classes for static defense, bolstered defense, dodging and retreating.

>>54771644
From what I understand, it means no one can take my system and monetize it or claim any ownership without my permissio but once it comes to legal stuff I'm going to learn more about it
>>
>>54771458
>this is a hard lock. You need to roll 5 times
>pass pass pass fail
>quick and easy
>>
>>54770240
>fast
>universal
>simple
>able to model realism
Give me one reason I should use your system over FATE.
>>
>>54771770
>nice balance

yeah right; listen here you pretty boi, your system can either be complex or simple, focused or wide. You have more burning questions to tend to, like how'd you like to make money off your product; splatbooks? editions? Making RPGs doesn't make much money, so this better be a fun hobby for you and not much else. If you wanna make a small, simple system, it should be as small as possible. One page games are the best product here. If you want to go simple+wide, you're gonna have to copy GURPS, and they have a lot of manpower behind their books and rules. If you wanna go complex and focused, that's D&D; the only thing D&D does well is D&D.
Complex and wide is a horrible monster that maybe only FATAL does.
Wide, unfocused systems are really hard to do; have you published before? How successful were you?

Now, for the "how much realism", you godda decide how your game does health damage, disease, fatigue, stress, and other "actor is out of action" parameters. D&D is "if HP==0 then unconscious", Shadowrun's wounds make characters roll less dice...
When you have a nice list of things that can fuck an actor over, you can work on how that actor fucks others over, be it with focused fire, double taps, stuns, wide swings, cleaves, magic, full auto fire from a variety of different calibers, barrel lengths, powder charges or fire rates... You're not giving any info about what you're working with, and you'll get haphazard advice.
>>
>>54771770
The target number is 20 . That's the dc.
If you have to roll 20 3 times . Then that's a success dc, like in shadow run.
If the skills are D20 vs 20. Then each skill point is 5% increase in chance not marginally . Depending on how many skills points you can put into somthing. It may make skills useless.

Quick and easy, but has 4 check to see if hits.

You should play somthing other then dnd before writing your own system. And I'm not anit dnd like most people are on here.
>>
>>54771817
max 3 rolls I'm thinking

>>54771683
>>54771759
>>54771670
Sorry I couldn't pique your interest

I'm trying to advertise to 4chan because I feel like reddit normally gets all the news from startups because it's a safer site. 4chan is also daunting to advertisers because it has a valtile community, but I think if you give them a quality product they will rally behind it.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you the manual but I have legitimate reasons for keeping it under wraps right now. Treat this more as a dev AMA.

>>54771654
Tech and medical
>>
>>54771945
>Treat this more as a dev AMA.
Dev for what though? There's a reason people don't usually do shit like this until they have a product to show off.

Stop posting, lurk some more, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>54771897
current plan is to make money off of patreon, advertising and donations. I'm going to make a kickstarter to pay for legal aspects, web design, editor, and artists

The current major flaw I can see is that the system only accomodates humanoids.

>>54771940
I've GMd GURPS, Star wars: EOTE, Dnd 3.5, 5e, and call of cthulhu and I'm taking my favorite aspect from each one and building a system with them in mind
>>
>>54771945
>3 d20 checks for a hard task
Still not quick or easy mate.
>>
>>54771770
>I think you are giving too much credit to DCs.
As a method of allowing GMs to demonstrate variable difficulty in the context of their own games, while allowing for the influence of skills, items, and situational advatages/disadvantages, there really is no better way to square mechanical simplicity with as much realism as desired. From the outset, you seemed to indicate that was what you were going for.

>In this there is no arbitrary number that gets made up by the GM
I think we need more info on how your system works, because you've alluded to the GM deciding that extra rolls might have to be made, or that they may not even have the opportunity to roll, which -is- arbitration on the GMs part, unless you're also going to provide a near-limitless list of difficulty scenarios in your rulebook.

>>54771940
Anon here reiterates some of the issues, especially with low-skill characters. Low-skill characters need to be able to succeed, which means hit a value of 20, but also need to be differentiated from high-skill characters.

Doing something like this:
>>54771817
isn't a very elegant solution, as it's just piling on additional rolls, when one could have simplified the whole process with a single roll plus skill/situation modifiers. Sums aren't hard.
>>
>>54772026
>Calls it a Dev AMA
>Only responds to half the questions
Alright
>>
>>54771649
Ok. But how's are you advertising anything. There is no info, no name. Nothing. I don't care about system, but even if I did. I wouldn't even know what to look for,

+ why you kickstaring m what do you need?
>>
>>54772026
>make money off of patreon, advertising and donations.
Why? Doesn't seem like you have an actual working system. Did you playtest it? I've been playtesting my shit for 4 years and I'm not gonna publish it for money.

>The current major flaw I can see is that the system only accomodates humanoids.
This is kinda fucked up, you seem like you have quite a long way to go.
>>
>>54772022
I'm the Dev for the system I'm building
I'm not trying to kill you with kindness or anything here, I'm genuinely trying to spread awareness for the system and you may be irreversibly turned off but I want you to know I think this system is fun to play and good for many settings, but if you want to hate it before you've seen it you are free to do so
>>
>>54772103
But the system isn't OUT yet. We have no reason to believe it'll ever even get finished, or that it'll be any good once it is.
>>
>>54770240
>universal rpg
Fuck no, rpgs are complex and varied enough that I can get my fix for whatever genre/aesthetic i want. I don't understand why people ever want a universal system
>>
>>54772112
This.

You've provided us a name and some vague machanics, that's it. I've watched systems with way more going for them than that fail horribly, there is absolute NO REASON for me or anyone else in this thread to assume your ideas have any merit.

That makes you pretty shit at your job as a marketer, and I mean it with the best intentions when I say you need to cut this short and come back when you have an actual product to show.
>>
>>54772037
thats just what I'm thinking about, that is not the final system at all, that was just the first thing that came to mind

>>54772055
Multiple rolls wuld be a rare thing if in the system at all, if a character has a skill of 8 in gymnastics and they want to jump or climb they will succeed on the roll of a 12 or above
>>
>>54772180
>thats just what I'm thinking about, that is not the final system at all
Please come back when you have an actual system. If your system can't handle tasks of varying difficulty, it's not a system.
>>
>>54771945
The word is "volatile" mate, work on your English or get someone to look it over for you
>>
>>54772061
Second post in the thread, It's called lamentum, I didn't want to do heavy handed advertising because I'd probably get more shit than I'm already getting

>>54772102
I'm planning on slightly modifying health to accomodate quadrapeds and other things, but the limbs are really the only thing that needs to be modified
>>54772112
This is true, but now at least 15 more people know about it than when I started the thread
>>
>>54772180
So to climb a 5 foot wall or a wet cliff in the they have 60% chance of failing
>>
>>54772243
>all advertising is good advertising meme
Fuck off.
>>
>>54772259
if its something incredibly minor, then you don't need to roll
>>
>>54772180
>if a character has a skill of 8 in gymnastics and they want to jump or climb they will succeed on the roll of a 12 or above
So once again, how does that account for differences in the difficulty of those jumps or climbs? Leaping over a narrow stream vs a substantially wider chasm? Climbing a slight grade vs a precariously sheer cliff face? Is the extent of one's ability outlined int he skills themselves? A value between x and y equating to a certain qualitative abstraction? You need rigidly defined quantitative limits if you want to meet your mandate of a "realistic" system.

>>54772216
I have to agree.
>>54772259
Because multiple people are finding the same flaws within moments of hearing about your system and its mechanics.
>>
>>54772284
people also have pointed out potential problems, now I can sort out even more mechanics
>yes this thread is an utter failure in creating interest, but I'm trying to stay positive and professional
>>
>>54772243
>This is true, but now at least 15 more people know about it than when I started the thread
No we fucking don't. All we have to go on is some dumb name and vague descriptions of mechanics that aren't even set in stone yet. You haven't given us anything to remember except for your unbridled faggotry. I guarantee you that every anon in this thread will forget about this within the hour, two tops. You've given us nothing because you have nothing.
>>
>>54772296
So to climb a cliff or a wet cliff while being shot at they have a 60% chance of failing?
>>
>>54772296
Define "incredibly minor". Is that up to the GM's discretion? Difficulty is relative to the skill of an individual. Does a skill 15 character still have to roll for something that a skill 1 character would?

>>54772332
>people also have pointed out potential problems, now I can sort out even more mechanics
It's beginning to sound like you haven't sorted out -any- mechanics, and that your thread was more about asking how one -would- go about building a universal system which squared simplicity with realism. And as others have pointed out, you generally can't.
>>
>>54772299
I have playtested a couple campaigns and this problem never arose, in roleplaying, I've found focusing on slight differences ends up being more of a nusiance than anything

The system has ended up focusing more on party composition so when specialized get somewhere they will assist the rest of the party in getting there
>>
All I want is grid based and tactical with lots of options, while not becoming too abstracted where it hampers the freedom of RPGs.
>>
>>54772345
yes
>>54772395
in the context of other rpgs, this adding up to 20 system sounds too static to work, but trust me, it simplifies minute aspects of gameplay and lets the party focus on executing actions quickly
>>54772345
while being at incorporates a character's focus and a wet clif will force them to make a brawn check to hold onto the cliff ontop of a gymnastics check
>>
>>54770240
>realism
>simple

I don't believe.
>>
>>54772103
You was the one who alieneted the people.
>>54772121
He is building a rule set, upon which other games can be built. At least thats what i understood.
>>
>>54772499
It looks like I'll have it in it's completed first draft in a month and release the basic rules even earlier, depending on how long copyrighting takes

but is was simple enough for a group of 10 first-time rpg players to understand, play and have fun
>>
>>54772121
>>54772550
There will be a universal system and if the kickstarter is successful, Ill modify it for different settings and build optional systems and try to make an easily editable character sheet so people can change it to fit into their specific setting
>>
Lets assume, that i'm interested, what kind of licence type will you use? Buy it and use it type or CC?
>>
>>54772422
>I have playtested a couple campaigns and this problem never arose
You never encountered the problem of obstacles of various difficulties? How extensive were your playtests? Please outline the events that you've run your test players through. Was it limited to low-skill, early gameplay? Have you tested an ongoing game from low to high skill levels?

>The system has ended up focusing more on party composition so when specialized get somewhere they will assist the rest of the party in getting there
It's sounds like all you have is a character creator with no consideration for how your skills actually function. I also can't tell if your test characters have overlapping skills, which may also be limiting your exposure to how characters of differing skill levels operate.

>>54772482
>in the context of other rpgs
You've described this as a "universal" RPG. If it can't accommodate something as basic as varying difficulty, or provide alternative solutions which even -you- haven't been able to succinctly outline as of yet, then why would anyone play it?
>lets the party focus on executing actions quickly
So far nothing you've proposed has been quicker of more simple than a single roll against a determined DC with the influence of situational modifiers.
>>54772345
In any other RPG, this situation would call for a single roll with the potential for a negative modifier due to being shot at. In your proposed system, as seen here:
>>54772482
You require at least two rolls and the incorporation of a "focus" character stat beyond their skill modifier. How is that simpler or faster?

If you actually believe in the voracity of your system, outline its mechanics; because so far it's not clear to anyone here how it actually operates. Or are you clinging to it as a gimmick that you think will set it apart? because I can guarantee nobody would adopt such a system that is repeatedly being shown to complicate action resolution when it purports to promote speed and simplicity.
>>
File: k.gif (4MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
k.gif
4MB, 320x180px
>>54772564
>>
Game design wise, what is the minimum number of separate stats that are necessary to convey a different-enough options for the player?
From like two ends of the spectrum, on the low end a Hearthstone Card, and on the high end, I dunno GURPS or HERO system or something.
>>
>>54772611
CC, but I'm also going to make my own website for it
>>
>>54772026
Making a kickstarter. Oh boy, where should i start... Considering the scams on kick, mentioning this was a really bad idea.
>>
>>54772634
>what is the minimum number of separate stats that are necessary to convey a different-enough options for the player?
>>
>>54772626
I haven't tested a long-term game, but incorporating different checks into a single action proved to work amazingly. overlapping skills is a non-issue, it just means that there are more character that are individually capable of that action.
>>54772626
2 rolls is not faster, but it means that players understand what their characters are capable of immediately without the GM coming up with a number in their head and telling players to roll for it.
>>54772634
You have 5 traits that will effect players' skills and there are 8 standard skills and 5 combat skills making a ton of combinations
>>
OP here
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be back as soon as I have a fully playable manual. If you've been turned off I hope you'll keep an open mind, this system will not dissapoint you.

I am still taking questions, If I did not respond to your comment I apologize.
>>
>>54772832
what's the name of your magnum opus?
>>
>>54772880
Working title is Lamentum
I thought this was going to be the final title, but the reception on here was awful so I'll probably change it
>>
Op again
I'll be back in a few minutes
>>
>>54772925
I agree, you should remove an n from the title
>>
Im back

>>54772982
Lametum?
>>
>>54773217
He was calling it lame_tum
>>54772564
Testing on new roleplayers is not the best idea. How will they know if it's pants or not?
>>
>>54773320
I also tested it on seasoned players
I was using that example to highlight its simplicity
>>
For what its worth, I've had a much easier time playing games with more realism (as in attention to detail and what seem like plausible outcomes in the world) playing rules light games like Dogs In The Vineyard when everyone's on the same page theme wise than with games that try to simulate the world via mechanics. A flexible degrees of success system that doesn't have many modifiers to stack and players who can talk things over with an interest in depicting outcomes rather than winning a game works well.
>>
>>54773460
That's basically what I built the system on, except you can add a lot of modifiers if you like. The energy and sanity systems are very loose and have guidelines in the manual but ultimately operate at the discretion of the GM
>>
>>54773577
I'd be wary of modifiers mostly because if you have too many things to stack it tends to get pointless. If the players get enough things in their favour I'd just skip the roll and go forward, if they're fucked and we're playing with a focus on realism I'm not going to see if they roll a nat20, they're just fucked. But I'm a big fan of not rolling for things if its not critically important.
>>
>>54770988
>D20

Why use such a terrible core mechanic?
>>
>>54773656
Because it's cherished and time honored gamer tradition, like Mountain Dew and Funco Pop and PAX
>>
>Would anyone be interested in water that is not wet?
Every time I see someone advertising a system that's realistic/in-depth and also simple/fast-paced, I have to wonder which part they're bullshitting about. Simple, fast-paced mechanics necessitate some level of abstractness which clashes with the promised realism or in-depth nature, to say nothing of the universal nature requiring fast, simple, realistic mechanics for damn-near everything. I have yet to see a system that successfully pulls off all three extremes without sacrificing SOMETHING.

That being said, I hope you're the first to do it, because it'd be nice if such a system did exist.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS7qb6lbZuo&feature=youtu.be&t=16
>>
>>54773656
Most people who play rpgs or want to play rpgs are famaliar with d20s and like it

what's wrong with d20s?

>>54773637
during playtests, there were rarely modifiers, unless they were in combat. A good example of a modifier that showed up was a player was in a car chase with the police at night and he wanted to fire at one of the pursuers so he had to pass an operate check to keep the vehicle under control and marksman check to fire, the cops had to do the same.
>>
File: TTRPGS.png (114KB, 318x578px) Image search: [Google]
TTRPGS.png
114KB, 318x578px
Oh good. Another "My system is super fast can do anything and is hyper realistic just watch and see" person.

Hey OP? You ever designed a game before? Here's my two cents assuming you aren't a troll.

Make a game based around a premise first. Don't worry about whether or not it can cover ALL TYPES OF GAMES just concern yourself with whether or not it can do ONE THING well. Trust me chances are your game's not gonna be any better than anyone's shitty homebrew at whatever the fuck you think it can do so it's best to pick a unique premise and go from there.
>>
>>54773749

>what's wrong with d20s?

To put it simply:

You have an equal chance of rolling a 20 on a d20 as you do a 1.

Compared to say, 3d6 where you have a significantly better chance of rolling an 11 than you do an 18.
>>
File: spores_by_alexiuss-d7bdpib.jpg (634KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spores_by_alexiuss-d7bdpib.jpg
634KB, 1920x1200px
>>54773828
not super fast or hyper realistic but it takes realistic things like hunger, sanity and locational armor/damage into account and makes them simple.

I'm starting with a universal system so that it's accessible to anyone who wants to play it and has a vision for a unique campaign in any setting. If my kickstarter is successful I plan on making seperate settings that modify the system to be better tailored to them. My idea for the first setting is based off nausicaa and the valley of the wind and the second would be more generic fantasy
>>
>>54773868
That's an awful example. Instead, argue that you have an equal chance of rolling a 20 (an extremely good result) as you do a 10 (the most normal/"average" result). You're just as likely to do middle-of-the-road mediocre as you are super-awesome (or super awful).
>>
>>54773749
I would rank my dice prefrances as
>d6 success
>d6 add
>diffrent dice, highest
>d 100 roll over
>D20 roll over
>d 100 roll under
>D20 roll under ( I know people like palladium. Just can't get on with it. )
>>
>>54773868
you're right!
but a d20 is more familiar to people, I kicked around the idea of doing something different than d20 but I've played gurps and most people just find it to be weird and intimidating, which is something that I need to consider if I plan on monetizing.

>>54773828
I made a small rpg system in highschool that I played with my friends. It was functional but nothing to write home about
>>
>>54773932

> it takes realistic things like hunger, sanity and locational armor/damage into account

Yea see here's the thing: just because those things exist doesn't make their inclusion "realistic" unless you go full on narrativist "it happens cause things are justified in the narrative" sense.

I've seen plenty of hunger/sanity systems fail because people wind up starving to death when they travel 10 miles away from town (note: that generally doesn't happen unless you're already starving) and sanity systems where encountering a slightly bizarre dog turns normally healthy people into scitophrenics because ???

Also unless there's a good reason for them to be there it's probably just gonna be pointless bookeeping that nobody cares about. A superhero action game for instance isn't gonna give a damn how hungry someone is (I mean it might if it's like a shonen anime series) but as a whole that's just bookeeping nobody's gonna pay attention too.

>I'm starting with a universal system so that it's accessible to anyone who wants to play it and has a vision for a unique campaign in any setting

Dude... I hate to break it to you... there's a loooot of games like that. A lot. Unless you're offering something more than "simplicity" like an ACTUAL MECHANIC THAT'S UNIQUE AND INTERESTING people are gonna pass on it to play GURPS or HERO or something.

You're entering into a saturated market and are not selling me on anything that other games already don't have.
>>
>>54773994

>but a d20 is more familiar to people

That's because people are most familiar with D&D and guess what? People who play D&D aren't gonna play your game. They're just gonna hack D&D.
>>
>>54773828
>Make a game based around a premise first.

This. This so goddamn much. Narrow your focus for your first game. Fuck, for your first dozen games. Keep it simple and compact so your concept doesn't get lost in your vision. Because I guarantee you that a premise-based niche game cranked out in a day or two would be ten times better than your bullshit universal system that's taking you months to develop. If you're doing that at all and not just jerking us around.
>>
>>54773956
I like 2d6 added together plus your bonus to beat a DC of about 5-10ish
>>
>>54774011
The sanity system is a scale from 0-40
when a character hits 0 sanity the GM takes control of their character, forcing them to flee, freeze up, go berserk, or kill themself depending on the situation.
if characters have between 9 and 1 sanity their character will either spend all their resources needless or spend none
between 10-29 sanity characters are normal and receive no bonus or penalty
30-40 sanity characters are considered "confident" and recieve +1 on all combat skills.

This can easily have characters fall prey to inexperienced/asshole GMs but that's not really saying much since you could argue thats all mechanics. In the rulebook I provide a bunch of examples for things that give characters sanity and what takes it away.

Energy is easy to gain and will drain slowly. characters have an average of 45 energy and all combat skill checks use 1 energy, fitness checks take 3 and gymnastics checks take 5. eating a full meal gives the player 20 enegry back. I give more examples in the manual.

I'm still working on the amor system but there are a bunch of equipment slots and they affect the total armor on the character's limbs
>>
>>54774030
it's still the rpg standard and I'm just adhering to it of it got popular I would definitely rebalance it for different rolls
>>
>>54774118
I see you got your hunger meter from green light steam games.
>>
>>54774254
no?
>>
>>54774118
That's not simple at all.
>>
>>54774352
Whats complicated about it?
I'm open to criticism about the complexity, since it's hard for me to be objective about as the creator
>>
>>54774118
>kill themself
Good job, you've taken away all player control of their character. You have made your game automatically shit by doing this.
>>
>>54774408
it's up to the GM looking at context, I would hope this would rarely happen, but I'm emphasizing that players should seriously avoid hitting 0 sanity.
>>
>>54774439
>>54774408
Well this happens in the 40k games. But it's 100 not 40 and you get stronger the closer you get.
>>
>>54774118

>The sanity system is a scale from 0-40
when a character hits 0 sanity the GM takes control of their character, forcing them to flee, freeze up, go berserk, or kill themself depending on the situation.

Those 3 things are not comparable at all. Freezing up, going berserk and fucking KILLING YOURSELF and what decides those are 'the situation'??? Like what does that mean?

>if characters have between 9 and 1 sanity their character will either spend all their resources needless or spend none

... why? What sense does that make?

>between 10-29 sanity characters are normal and receive no bonus or penalty
>30-40 sanity characters are considered "confident" and recieve +1 on all combat skills.

Why does confidence only effect combat skills? Shouldn't confidence in fact logically effect NON combat skills like diplomacy? Just because you're sound of mind and foolhardy wouldn't make you a good fighter. In fact you'd think "fighting like a madman" would be something someone could exploit?

>This can easily have characters fall prey to inexperienced/asshole GMs but that's not really saying much since you could argue thats all mechanics. In the rulebook I provide a bunch of examples for things that give characters sanity and what takes it away.

Yea and what are these things? Cause if just any general monster will take people's sanity then that's already not making your game very universal. In fact it's giving your game a specific horror edge since any kind of encounter with the supernatural is bad for players and makes them weaker.

>Energy is easy to gain and will drain slowly. characters have an average of 45 energy and all combat skill checks use 1 energy, fitness checks take 3 and gymnastics checks take 5. eating a full meal gives the player 20 enegry back. I give more examples in the manual.

So... any time you use a fucking body skill you expend a resource? Dude that's not "simple" that's actually just a whole layer of obtuse bookeeping you're adding onto it.
>>
>>54774118
>>54774477

From just what you've told me your game sounds like it could be good for a post apocalyptic STALKER like game where radiation has made a buncha zombie killer monsters and you need to scrounge up food for survival and shit.

Other than that? These mechanics don't do anything for any other kind of game.
>>
>>54774384
That's two different subsystems to keep track of that scale differently from one another, and possibly from any other subsystems you've got going on. Your Sanity system is unintuitive as all hell and most likely unnecessary. Energy just sounds straight up unfun, both to manage and its implications. And, again, it's probably unnecessary.
>>
>>54774477
characters with low sanity are unhinged and are starting to crack, so they start making stupid decisions, like real people who are stressed or anxious

I want to have a loose system that gives GMs freedom. The situation that determines it is just looking at context: if a character is pinned by artillery fire, with no easy escape they will curl up into a ball and suffer shellshock. If they have had a slow grind down to 0 sanity and their character is in a bad position in everyway, the Gm could make the character commit suicide. If they are in an intense firefight and all their allies are killed, they would run away. If suddenly a bomb goes off causing havoc a character might go berserk.

It's not obtuse, there are defined rules for spending energy, gaining it is more obtuse, but forgiving enough to make it managable.
>>
>>54774507
Currently running a campiagn in miami in the 80s and its going great. I thought the same thing when I developing it but sanity and energy are just a couple mechanics that make up a whole system.

>>54774528
I have a disclaimer in the first draft that all systems are meant to enhance your game and are not set in stone. all roleplaying manuals should exist to help you have fun and not restrict you.

again the system is in progress so this may change down the line.
>>
>>54774607

>characters with low sanity are unhinged and are starting to crack, so they start making stupid decisions, like real people who are stressed or anxious

Yes but what do you mean by 'expending all your resources'??? Like money???

>I want to have a loose system that gives GMs freedom. The situation that determines it is just looking at context: if a character is pinned by artillery fire, with no easy escape they will curl up into a ball and suffer shellshock. If they have had a slow grind down to 0 sanity and their character is in a bad position in everyway, the Gm could make the character commit suicide. If they are in an intense firefight and all their allies are killed, they would run away. If suddenly a bomb goes off causing havoc a character might go berserk.

So it's literally just a narrativist mechanic we see in practically any post FATE game where the GM gets to decide at random that certain characters do things because raisins.

Look I'm sorry but this is a bad pitch and telling me "I want a loose system that gives the GM freedom" is not telling me anything because the GM ALWAYS has way more freedom compared ot the characters. Just telling the GM he can do something is one thing: what you SHOULD focus on is giving him easy mechanics that don't require him to keep track of a number for each individual character.

See something like say, Legend of the Wulin's chi conditions for an example of a fight influencing a characters decision making without just having a number that tells you "you go berserk now".

>It's not obtuse, there are defined rules for spending energy, gaining it is more obtuse, but forgiving enough to make it managable.

OK obtuse is the wrong term but still... why? What part of this makes it fun? Or at all ascribes to the kind of game you might want to play with this? It's just another layer of bookeeping that on paper is just a stamina system that's tied to food.
>>
>>54774639

> I thought the same thing when I developing it but sanity and energy are just a couple mechanics that make up a whole system.

OH So there's MORE "mechanics" like this in this supposedly simple system? Mechanics that're entirely based around tracking a number? For multiple people? In multiple stats and locations?

Uh uh. Excuse me for being dubious but... yea I don't believe you. That or you're leaving out very critical details of your play style.

>I have a disclaimer in the first draft that all systems are meant to enhance your game and are not set in stone. all roleplaying manuals should exist to help you have fun and not restrict you.

Ah yes. The old adage:

"Rule 0 excuses me from any poor design choices"

Uh huh. So basically you're just offering a d20 style GURPS at this point.

In which case... thanks?
>>
>>54774686
>Like money??
yea, and ammunition

>because raisins
I guess, I just made it easy to keep track of

>Does it make it fun
Lets players understand the mental state of their character more. It creates another source of tension for players and another aspect GMs can play with
>>
>>54774639
"The GM can fix it!" is not an excuse for shitty game design. Try again.
>>
I just read through this thread, and holy shit...

No one's gonna give you Patreon money unless you've already got something that people can tangibly use or view, no one today gives money for a concept or WIP. Same with Kickstarter, tons of scam artists didn't deliver on their Kickstarters and thus no one will give you money if you don't have your shit figured out.

Also what is this RPG supposed to accomplish that other RPGs already do? Why would I play this RPG over other RPGs? What the hell does it even offer that other RPGs don't? Is it even fun? Because it sounds like a total mess.

You sound like you're just taking GURPS, D&D, and Genesys and just adding an extra layer of autism to the mix.
>>
>>54774724

>yea, and ammunition

Again: Why? Why do ALL PEOPLE who're getting PTSD'd just shooting their bullets and money away?

>I guess, I just made it easy to keep track of

It doesn't sound like that honestly.

>Lets players understand the mental state of their character more. It creates another source of tension for players and another aspect GMs can play with

There are multiple ways of 'letting their characters understand their mental state more' and when 'sanity' so narrowly defines what they do (and yes your system only offers a very narrow limit of behaviors) then they all wind up acting very similarly for arbitrary reasons.

As for tension I guess but how's that a good tradeoff for unnecessary bookeeping?
>>
>>54774714
It's a very different game than GURPS but it is a universal system that uses d20.
>>
>>54774779

>It's a very different game than GURPS

How?
>>
File: 1480802318034.gif (1MB, 288x198px) Image search: [Google]
1480802318034.gif
1MB, 288x198px
>universal rpg system that is based around realism while staying simple
>It's a d20 system
>>
>>54774731
I think dnd manuals have the same disclaimer

>>54774769
I need to finish the manual then Ill be able to finish the business plan, then if the kickstarter is successful it's mostly getting in contact with people and it should start to run itself, I genuinely don't want to scam anyone and I have the rpg community's best interests in mind. So I don't understand all the flak I'm getting. What I want to do is what other systems do but better, thats what all startups re built on.
>>54774778
adding a tangible mechanic like sanity is there to create depth, immersion, and fun. as for the tradeoff it seems like simple math that could put players in their character's shoes easier

>...Bullets and money away
yes, they are unhinged and losing their mind so they start to care less.
>>
>>54771544
if it's something you're developing it should be your intellectual property already. That's my understanding anyway I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that if you come up with it it's yours.
>>
>>54774803
It has a locational health system and multiple armor classes that allow players to build their characters around dodging, tanking or flat out running away. To truly answer this I'd have to show you the whole manual which I'm keeping under wraps til I can copyright it.
>>
>>54774932
You need the paperwork for the gubmint to protect it
>>
>>54774909
And as 3.5 proved, it's not a blank check for making a shitty system.
>>
>>54775016
My point was that it's commonplace for rpgs to have that disclaimer. If players dont like a mechanic they can always not use it.
>>
OP here
Ill be back in a few minutes
>>
>>54770240
Im actually building one myself. I basically stole the mechanics of dwarf fortress and started chopping redundant bits off until i had something playable. Its going... okay.
>>
>>54774909
>So I don't understand all the flak I'm getting.

Probably because people keep thinking their RPG will be the best universal RPG and they make a thread talking about how great it's gonna be, yet not actually showing anything other than "Don't worry guys, when I 'actually' come out with a beta of it, it'll be awesome trust me"

And then never make a post on /tg/ about it, and probably go to reddit and join that circle-jerk, end up releasing the 'game' on DriveThruRPG where no one buys it because there's tons of universal RPGs out there, find an excuse on why no one bought it or supported the Kickstarter and then come crawling back here.

You're getting flak because it happens all the time; you think that you're the only person who's thought of this and you're trying to find a way to get money and support for your RPG, but you end up badly copying the good ideas from other RPGs.

>then if the kickstarter is successful it's mostly getting in contact with people and it should start to run itself

No, it doesn't 'run itself', if you're the creator and head of a project, all the weight falls on you. Normally RPG developers have an entire team and mostly finished product before they make a Kickstarter to back legal, art & distribution funds. None of it 'runs itself' and you'd be a fool to think that it would, even if you got 1,000 people working for you, you still are responsible for every little thing. One of the hardest parts of Kickstarter is when you actually receive the funds, because thats when things get a lot more tense and a lot more difficult.
>>
>>54774159
>it's still the rpg standard
No it's not. It's the D&D standard. I'd say more games don't use it than do.
>>
>>54775328
I started the thread as an AMA and with the idea of making a "trailer" I guess, I can't show the whole system for reasons clearly defined in the thread.
>>
>>54774957
But GURPS has all of this?
>>
>>54775685
Mine lays it clearer
reviewing the sheet for gurps I'm noticing mine actually has a lot in common with gurps, but it is fundamentally different on balance, and depth of certain mechanics
>>
>>54775751
What do you mean by "lays it clearer"?
GURPS seems pretty clear on the idea that there are different kinds of armor applied to locations, and that you can deal with damage multiple ways.
>>
>>54775751
Why don't you at least post your character sheet, so we can get an idea of the complexity of your system without the risk of someone stealing it?
>>
>>54775816
characters don't have a single number for health. each limb has it's own health. It has dedicated skills and not a "write your own skills" section. Carry weight is all or nothing for combat effectiveness. Weapons are simpler. sanity is a number on the page. Mine has more flavor sections on the character sheet. Dodge is a static number. The balance and scaling of rolls is also completely different. there is a lot of other small stuff but it's really every mechanic is different but there are similar mechanics because both are uiversal RPG systems that have decided on similar important aspects
>>
>>54775897
I don't have access to a scanner at the moment and the program I used doesn't make pdfs or jpgs
>>
>Simple system
>Sanity
>Energy
>Individual limb damage
As a DM who tried multiple systems, that doesn't sound simple or realistic.
>>
>>54776029
Sanity is easy, if a something happens the GM just has to say "take away x sanity" or "gain x sanity"
When certain rolls are made, subract a couple points accordingly. Limb damage has clearly outlined circumstances in the, like hitting arms when a character dodges, hitting lefts when a character is retreating and hitting center mass on basic attacks and the head on nat 20s
I'm going to go to bed because Ive been at this for like 7 1/2 hours and it's late. Goodnight /tg/, I'll be back with a manual and a character sheet, so keep an eye out.
>>
Your first instinct when reading all of these comments should have been: "I'm not as good as I thought I was". This would be absolutely correct. It would probably be the first smart thing to have popped up in your head in a while, judging from your system idea. Instead of dismissing it like the arrogant fuck that you are, get out of your head for five seconds and take a good hard look at what you're doing: you're already talking about setting up a patreon, a kickstarter, selling it, you've definitely overrated yourself so much more than you've overrated your idea. Fuck, you even made a whole thread about it, had you any humility (or any knowledge of this site you fucking newfag), you would've made a game design general like everyone else that is designing a game in this board.

You're ignorant of game design, your instincts regarding a roleplaying game development cycle are completely out of whack, in general your ideas aren't very good but every first pass of a game is chock-full of those, the problem is how highly you rate these first ideas. You act like buzzwords like 'realism', 'clarity', 'balance', etc have any meaning in the very first phase of development, and of course those very buzzwords are what 'set your system apart' from others of it's kind. Speaking of which, you like to talk about other systems, but it's obvious just how little you know of them, and how shallow your perception of roleplaying systems is, I mean come on, d20, the standard of roleplaying games? Of 3.5 clones maybe, and that would still be a subset of all roleplaying systems. As per usual for game design, every planned feature and subsystem is esentially a wishlist for your perfect game, but you're so clueless that you actually think these are good ideas for implementation. You come here with your very first draft, talk about kickstarter, patreon, intellectual property, you might actually be the first bona fide retard I've seen on this site.
>>
>>54776105
Don't worry
I know you spent quite a while writing this, but the system is good. I'm sorry I didnt have a full system to show you, that was my mistake. I've been here for years, and if I didn't believe in this system I would've been much more outwardly defensive from the start. I've been maintaining a sense of professionalism and respect because I didn't you would tear me apart. I have an in understanding of roleplaying and game design, but I also know what grabs people's attention and I thought I made it very clear that I agree that other dice systems are better but I made the d20 as a BUSINESS decision for the most draw. I know you want this to be some character study and you have given me some great advice, put 've played the system many times, it's good, it works. I have your best interest in mid, I want everyone to have the best time possible whle roleplaying, I dont want to clone d&d or GURPS or anything, I made a new system because I couldn't find a good enough rpg that satisfied people. So i appreciate that you are trying to help me in some twisted way, but I'm past the stages of being discouraged by this. I'm sorry we've watsed eachother's time
>>
>>54776186
Get this in your head: none of the implementations of any of your ideas that I've read so far have been good, bar one or two that have been done to death in other systems, you'd need to be nonfunctional to fuck up those, like DC. My advice to you: read more systems. Systems you don't like, and that don't do anything that you're interested in. Don't look at how they do things, think about why they do it like that and not in some other way. There's no pain in broadening your horizons here, none of that time will be wasted. Shelf your system for another month, I guarantee that if you learn anything after a month of reading, you'll redo most of what you've mentioned in this thread, and hopefully every single other shit idea you have in there that we've not seen.

And for the love of god, acquire some humility, consider that your ideas just might be as shit as people have been telling you. You're right, in a way I intend to help you, I intend to help you not be a fucking retard. The bad ideas are not the big problem here, I don't think any game in it's first stage has ever had more than 1 good idea in it. I don't want to discourage you, I just don't want another hollow system to throw in the pile of 'badly designed shit that just wastes bits on the internet'. Right now, this isn't even that, it's a draft. But you talk about it like it's almost finished.
>>
>>54776186

> I dont want to clone d&d or GURPS or anything
>but I made the d20 as a BUSINESS decision for the most draw

OK I'm sorry but do you have artistic integrity or not?

Because you seem to enjoy wafting between saying that you're doing something entirely for the selfish reason of monetary gain (which lets be clear: d20 is not gonna do that. A brand name will but a d20 system alone will not) but then saying you're being unique and original and you don't seem to be aware how these two ideologies might clash.

Furthermore you keep exclaiming that this system is good but you can't show us this so... this thread is pointless. It's literally pointless. Without point. No point. Point is 0.

You want to tell us ______ is great. But you can't show us _________. You give us HINTS at ___________ and when we tell you ________ is bad you just say "NO IT WORKS TRUST ME". The only person "wasting time" here is you with this pointless endeavor of getting us interested in a game you can't talk about.

And when this game DOES come out or is announced or whatever at best it's gonna wind up on the STRIKE! chopping block where you're decried as a shill and people tell you to fuck off every time you talk about it.

tl:dr even if your system is good. You're a TERRIBLE salesman and this thread is proof of that. Who the fuck tries to sell a person a car that they CAN'T FUCKING LOOK AT OR DRIVE BUT "it works trust me I've driven it all over the place it's got all these features that're great".
>>
>>54776297
Look, I dont know what you want from me. You clealry don't like the system, maybe I described it poorly or may you have some preconceptions that I cant change, maybe your right and it sucks, I lose legitmacy or something, but you are not going to halt development or even change it. I dont know what you want me to say or do to help you, you might be projecting, trolling, serious or whatever but your not doing anything except keeping me awake at this point.

I'm very tired and just want to go to bed so I might see your next reply but I'm not going to respond to it, so thank you for spending so much time trying to help me, I know you ment well is some way, but your not, you don't know what your talking about and I can't change that
>>
>>54776355

>Look, I dont know what you want from me.

Not him but you seem to have a very shallow and immature understanding of games from my perspective.

As I said here: >>54776304 you waft between supposedly being artistic and innovative but also cyncially buisnesslike.

All I really want for you is to realize this is a bad thread with noting being accomplished and to come back when you actually have something to show.
>>
>>54776304
keep an eye out to learn more, Ill release it as soon as I can, /tg/ will be the first place I go
And it turns out either I am terible salesman or 4chan is impossible to market directly to, or both but this was my first attempt and It could've gone worse
>>
>>54776398
How could it have gone worse? All I have now is a bad perception of any game called "Lamentum".
Also, you should really read marketing for dummies or similar. You need some good tips on how marketing works.
>>
>>54776398

>keep an eye out to learn more, Ill release it as soon as I can, /tg/ will be the first place I go

OK thanks. Bye Bye.

>And it turns out either I am terible salesman or 4chan is impossible to market directly to, or both but this was my first attempt and It could've gone worse

I mean you're not on fire right now so yes I suppose it could have.
>>
>>54776392
I have creative integrity but also acknowledge you can't have a startup based on that alone, so I'm looking for ways to attract a bigger audience.

That's it, I'm done, I have shit to do tomorrow, next time I talk to you I'll have shit to show you
>>
>>54776355
>I might see your next reply but I'm not going to respond to it,
God, you're pathetic.
>>
>>54770240

BRP?
>>
>>54776429
>>54776413
>>54776398
>>54776392
>>54776355
>>54776304
>>54776297
>>54776186
>>54776105
Jesus Christ guys it's just a game
>>
>>54776429

>but also acknowledge you can't have a startup based on that alone, so I'm looking for ways to attract a bigger audience.

If you were actually paying attention to TTRPG markets you might realize that the best selling shit are:

D&D fan splats and alterations which directly copy the D&D formula and mechanics (Pathfinder and basically any OSL book)
and new innovative games with unique dice mechanics (FATE, Apocalypse World, REIGN, etc)

You're trying to pitch in the middle here and sadly dude there's just not much of a market. The people who're familiar with D&D and don't wanna deviate will just play D&D and hacks of it and people who want something new and fresh are just gonna be reminded of what they walked away from with a d20 system.
>>
>>54776467

You'll find that given any convorsation when you talk to a brcik wall you will escalate in emotion.
>>
>>54776467
This thread has been full of nothing but constructive criticism and good advice.
>>
>>54771598
>choose one
Not necessarily. A simple system can still strive for realism, and, indeed, sometimes it serves realism better than a highly complex system where a simple miscalculation somewhere in the rules can lead to highly unrealistic results. Examples of this I have encountered have been as varied as
>the more well trained and physically active a character is, the longer it takes for him to recover from exercise
>explosives dealing less damage the closer you are to them and no damage if you're lying on top of them
>a single glass of beer is enough to make a character blackout drunk, a second one causes him to fall asleep in his own vomit
>Armor sets being more expensive to buy than the individual pieces of that same set combined
And so on.
>>
No. Realistic RPGs are nothing more than monuments to the author's biases and a convenient reminder of a few philosophical problems (the inability to know the thing in itself, the fundamental limitations of language, the ideologically constructed nature of personal reality, and the inability to create an effective simulation due to humanity's inability to grasp reality).

Go with functional, and then try to make functional plausible.
>>
>>54770410
I like realism. It's more fun for me to restructure what I think of as cool based on realism than it is to just think of pretty much whatever as cool. It gives the thing a unique, meaningful, satisfying weight. It's the same reason I like SCA more than camping or Ren Fair or regular old LARP. Being period has its own weight that makes things cooler than if they were just visually stimulating in a sort of fantasy way.
>>
>>54770240
You mean like ORE
>>
>>54770410
I'm guessing the kind that most gamers go through a phase of thinking they want, but ultimately getting over when they realize that real life is both very stupid and not very well suited to gaming (for every amazing story where a guy overcome the odds, there are hundreds more where our would-be hero died to something stupid).
>>
>>54771844
FATE doesn't model realism, it doesn't do much simulation at all. I love FATE, but its more about story, characters, drama, and describing scenes than any sort of simulation of real anything.
>>
>>54771897
Literally what the fuck? You sound like a crazy person.
>>
>>54772430
Yo, HERO System. It's a pretty middle of the road complexity combat system, but the character building is straightforward and utterly exhaustive.
>>
File: 1501655635549.gif (236KB, 345x303px) Image search: [Google]
1501655635549.gif
236KB, 345x303px
>realistic
>fast
>universal
>>
>>54776614
One of my favorite bugs in an RPG was a system I played a long long time ago that tried to simulate encumbrance by giving minuses to movement speed. Pack enough things on a single character and he'd end up with negative movement and presumably started moving backwards at greater and greater speed the more things you put on him.

In another one, gnomes had armor with negative weight. Clearly this was intended to let them fight swiftly despite wearing full plate, but what would happen if he put on an armor with more negative weight than he had actual weight?
>>
>>54770240
Why wouldn't I just run Mutants & Masterminds? I can do literally all of this, including use a d20, except much smoother and cleaner than all of this shit.

>I want to model realism.
It's got that if you fuck around with what's allowed and what's not, which you should be doing anyway.
>Sanity meters
It's got that.
>Hunger meters
Why, God, why would you ever want this other than an abstraction of "you have X days of food left"?
>one roll to cover multiple things
Everybody does this already
>simple character sheet
I can fit it on half a page if I try.

I don't really believe this thread is real - I think it's a troll thread, or someone promising the moon and not understanding their own limits - but good luck, I guess, selling it?

You have to answer the fundamental question of "why should I care" first, though, and...I mean...

...why should I care?
>>
File: 082.gif (980KB, 305x320px) Image search: [Google]
082.gif
980KB, 305x320px
>>54777873
tfw no more GURPS games for me.

It's just not the same with other systems.
Help me, GURPSanon, pls.
>>
>>54776492
This is why I like tg. You get the odd racist or angry dude. But mostly it's good chaps who love rpgs (and lewd elfs)
I think most of the black lash op has gotten is from the lack of any real info.
>>
>>54778136
Accept the darkness or spread our saviour's gift to the masses.

There is one god, and he runs in GURPS.
>>
>>54771195
You can't license game mechanics
>>
>>54777778
He sounds like an informed member of the ttg community. Right now, you sound like you're afraid of words and/or games that aren't DnD.
>>
>>54772103
Lol, look, he turned on his Reddit voice
>>
>>54772422
>I've found focusing on slight differences ends up being more of a nusiance than anything

>We basically just get high and say we do whatever. The gm isn't very good at math, so we just add the one number he wrote on our character sheet to a d20. It's not very fun, but his mom's bf is our dealer, and we usually smoke at the GM's place anyway.

>Oh! But last session, he got really blazed and told us that he's already got buyers for his "IP" or something, and that he was going to pay us soon for "playtesting".
>>
>>54772564
Kickstarter update: my deepest apologies, but they said I can't copywrite "if it's 20, you win." Please fund my next """""game"""""!
>>
>>54771195
>Hey guys want to hear about this thing?
"Yeah sure."
>I've made this thing.
"Well, tell us about it then."
>No! I'm not telling anyone!
>>
>>54770240

Sorry OP, but >>54773704 is right. The question is not if you actually created the prfect 100% mix between rules light and realistic (because they are dichotomous) but where between those two your homebrew falls. It might look like the perfect balance to you, but that's never true for everybody else.

If you don't know that, you still have to learn a lot about game design.
Let's just hope your homebrew is still fun even though it can't fulfill the expectations you've set here and/or serves your group well.
>>
>>54773868

I don't disagree with you and I'm no big fan of d20 myself, but still have to add two comments:

#1: the importance of a throw is elemental to it's function - there's a difference if you have a variance of 1-20 with a static modifier of (let's say) 1-5 or if your static modifier is 15-30.

#2: Don't forget the way to system should "feel" while playing. D20 is not necessarily better or worse than any other dice concept, it simply has other strength and weaknesses.

Realism usually isn't a strength of it though...
>>
>>54774384

Adding/subtracting number from a meter and triggering events accordingly isn't complex. It's the most basic math you can get.
But learning dozens and dozens events and the value the change the meter is complex - in a matter of "a lot".
Also each level of book keeping you add is a chore and contrary to "fast paced". Basic math might be simple, but it's also boring.

If you think your sanity system adds enough to the game to justify these drawbacks... then go for it. If not, cut it asap.
Also: think really hard about that and don't glorify your work just because it's yours. Humans tend to do that.
>>
>>54779285
Well, if OP is actually working on a game that he plans on releasing commercially it does make sense to get us interested in it while not telling us enough that we can make it ourselves.

The thing that doesn't make sense in this is him not giving us anything other than empty buzzwords to "get excited" about while not also not even telling us what the supposed game will be called so that we know what to buy or kickstarter if we indeed would be interested.

That's what makes this whole thing reek off scam, or, at the very least, an over-excited individual with no experience at all in marketing or game design who thinks that a vague idea is the same as proof of concept.
>>
>>54770240
>Would anyone be interested in a thick redhead with lots of money and good taste in clothes, who's kinda into being tied up?

I mean, if you're gonna offer the obviously impossible, why waste it on gaming?
>>
>>54780632
OP here
I probably am over excited because the play testing has gone so well, and I ended up making this thread too early in development.

My business model is going to be giving out the manuals and setting modules for free from my website, kickstarter money would only go towards commissioned artists, web designers and hosts, and editors for the manual.
>>
>>54776355
>you don't know what your talking about and I can't change that
you could... post the system
>>
>>54770240
So you want to reinvent FUDGE or GURPS?
>>
>>54777873
>fast
>GURPS
Maybe in actually resolving stuff, but all the work gets front-loaded to the GM before play begins. It takes much longer to parse through GURPS rules and play for the first time, and much longer for the GM to be ready to run a session, than any other system I know of.
>>
>>54770240
It depends on what you call "realism", but I'm nterested.
>>
>>54771458

>but I'm thinking of having checks being made several times to complete the action.
>universal rpg system that is based around realism while staying simple?
>>
>>54772121
>I don't understand why people ever want a universal system
So I don't have to learn a different rules set for each genre, when most genre-specific games' genre-specific rules don't depend on the overall framework. For example you could easily port a sanity mechanics into GURPS and change nothing about the Call of Cthulu experience.
>>
>>54782191
I'm going to be running a game in Lite this month. Honestly the system's lightweight enough that I could improv to the same extent as FATE.
>>
What the fuck even is your design goal?
>>
>>54781088
Everything makes even less sense now.
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.