[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Some guys at work wanna play D&D but I've never played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1457421519221.jpg (272KB, 1250x884px) Image search: [Google]
1457421519221.jpg
272KB, 1250x884px
Some guys at work wanna play D&D but I've never played 5e, only 3.5

I really wanna make something similar to a hexblade (so like warrior mage hybrid with curse spells) but I'm not sure if that's possible in 5e, maybe with the hybrid classes? Would someone be able to confirm whether or not it's possible and things to be aware of coming from 3.5 to 5 in general? Thanks

I have to be ready by Thursday, ideally have everythign ready earlier
>>
File: Wizrd&Wrlck.pdf (107KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wizrd&Wrlck.pdf
107KB, 1x1px
WotC has been realeasing Unearthed arcana as playtest rules, ask your DM if you can use the Hexblade Warlock that they released

i'd recomend getting pact of the blade to combine with it, more out of fluf than anything else, but personally im still very on the fence about how the "bladelock" works compared to other martials

pd: 2 or 3 fighter levels might be good with that too
>>
>>54747948
Adding on to this, it should have a finished version in the new guide to everything coming up in November, so you won't have to put up with playtest material for long.

In the meantime, there's a few other gishy options depending on what balance of cadty, fighty, and armor you want, with eldritch knight fighter, any paladin, and valor bard standing out in the PHB.
>>
>>54747948
>>54748033
Thanks bud, this is quite useful, wasn't aware of this.

Gonna send him an e-mail and see what he thinks. He did say he wants to avoid homebrew stuff but this is technically official, just not in the books yet

Worst case scenario I'll just multi-class fighter and sourcerer, especially since it's just a small try-out campaign that may or may not carry on depending on how it goes.
>>
>>54747650
Barring the Unearthed Arcana expansions, your best option for this in terms of powerful charachter builds is definitely the College of Valor Bard. Incredible variety of spells with enough physical buffs to make you a viable combat presence. Depending on what level you're starting at consider the War Caster feat for throwing around spells while in combat.

Another option that could be fun is playing a Cleric. There are a few different cleric path options that let you focus on curses and debuffs and you can tank pretty well.

One thing I'd pay special attention to when building your character, no matter what you pick, is 5e's rules on concentration which limit spell casting more than in 3.5 especially when you're playing a front-line fighter. I've seen multiple people come up with buff/debuff stacks for their caster only to show up to the first session and get told they don't stack because of concentration.
>>
>>54748123
if you wanna play a curse focused fighty type id recomend multiclasing blade fiend warlock with fighter, look for a build online its a very ok character to play

ranger has hunters mark which works kinda like hex, but rangers kinda suck in my opinion, the have relesed some revised ranger but its still not in any book so i dont know how cool you dm is with using playtest material
>>
>>54748189
I do like the sound of a blade fiend warlcok / fighter hybrid. Going to have a look into some builds to get an idea just in case he's not cool with using Uneartherd arcana

>>54748183
>
One thing I'd pay special attention to when building your character, no matter what you pick, is 5e's rules on concentration which limit spell casting more than in 3.5 especially when you're playing a front-line fighter. I've seen multiple people come up with buff/debuff stacks for their caster only to show up to the first session and get told they don't stack because of concentration.

Oh thanks, that's quite useful to know, I'm going to have to read a bit more into the whole concetration mechanic then so I can decide what spells to go with, especially if I end up having to just multi-class something to emulate a hexblade. I also do sort of like the idea of playing a curse based cleric but I feel like it wouldn't fit my character's background too well. He's supposed to be the son of a travelling gypsy lady that used curses to scam money out of locals, and he learned all that from her.
>>
>>54748264
wew, how did I fuck up that greentext
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.