[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth a listen to? I listened to the first episode and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 5

File: criticalrole.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
criticalrole.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
Is this worth a listen to? I listened to the first episode and while they do a good bit of world building and tell a decent plot, the audio issues and loosey goosey rules turned me off
>>
>>54735592
Up until the end of the Briarwood arc.
After that don't bother, it just gets repetitive.
>>
>>54735592
I tried listening to the first episode. They started introducing the characters and the very first one was a cringingly bad topless brute barbarian that was "sooo dumb lol" and wouldn't stop talking about beer and babes. Even if everything else was great I have no interest in listening to that same character archetype AGAIN. I'm just going to assume there is a hoity-toity sorcerer/wizard woman (probably an elf) who scoffs at what people say, and some bland quiet-but-edgy powergamer guy somewhere in there too.
>>
>>54735592
I just can't get into it due to the sheer amount of content.
>>
>>54735782
>I just can't get into it due to the sheer amount of content.
Don't even bother. The only reason to watch Critical Roll is to lose your last miniscule speck of faith in humanity before killing yourself. It is a gathering of hipster nu-males and screeching whores they plop at a table, add a ton of boring shit on the screen, and then proceed to laugh autistically over inane shit for 2.5 hours. It is basically a RoosterTeeth video, except with a D&D session attached. These people are the biggest faggots on the planet. Matt Mercer's homebrew is shit, he's passable at best as a DM, and the women can't do anything except make fart / period jokes because they are disgusting whores. The other fat-asses aren't much better and are likely just there for the free attention and a chance at scoring with used up voice actress cunts. If you spend your free time watching D&D, it is because you are a fucking social reject. Because you clearly cannot find a game. Because if you could find a game you would not be watching 2 to 3 hour episodes of these fags' "banter". I cannot think of anything more boring than watching some other people I don't give a fuck about, playing D&D. I'd rather paint my toenails with my dick cheese. What a fucking waste of time. I seriously hope Critical Roll charters a bus and the bus crashes and they all fucking die. I am not even memeing, I fucking hate these cocksuckers, they are more obxnoious than the Yogscast/Roosterteeth, and they are flooding our hobby with these autistic youtube gaming addicts who will fuck up your D&D campaign and whine that it should be more like Skyrim.
>>
>>54735827
Is that an adaptation of the beginning of the copy pasta or just a particularly fortuitous post to reply to?
>>
>>54735782
I feel the same way. However apparently they only have 2-3 episodes left of their current campaign.

Hopefully when they come back they do a bit more interesting characters than what they have now (This was their first even campaign and they have been stuck with the same characters for like 5 years).

I get the feeling tho that once this campaign ends and they start new characters the group is going to start to fall apart.
>>
>>54735782
there's a giant arc in the middle of the campaign that really bogs down / slows things to a crawl. just watch the first two arcs (the underdark and the briarwoods) and skip ahead to the final arc (at ep 95).

the chroma conclave really just goes on too long, and taryon's arc, while OK, doesn't do anything to push the story along
>>
>>54735854
I hope it's copypasta cause to be that upset that people other than "hardcore" nerds are joining your hobby is autistic as fuck.

I hate playing serious campaigns with casual retards too. The nice thing about D&D is that most times you already have a strong group, and if you don't it's not hard at all to sit in on a campaign to decide if they are right for you.
>>
>>54735592
I enjoy it, but I also dont mind playing loose with the rules for the sake of fun or interesting story telling.

Most people who like it recommend skipping to the Whitestone Arc though.

That said if you are an autist who cant stand people not playing by the rules then you will probably hate the series. Theres a lot of slow moments when they are doing in between stuff like an actual group would but people have rose colored goggles about their own campaigns and bitch no matter what.
>>
>>54735933
>>54735827
The fact that they had been playing for 3 years and still had to explain Inspiration Rolls is proof enough that its shit
>>
What would others recommend for actual play stuff to watch/listen to?
>>
>>54735827
Oh look, this pasta again.
>>
>>54735983
It's a mechanic in 5e, not a homebrew.
>>
>>54735592
literally is reddit: the "nerds"
>>
>Watching EP1
>No one is taking the encounter seriously
>Bard asks if he can inspire himself
>Because your you, yes you can!

Hit ALT+F4 so hard I restarted my computer
>>
>>54735743
perhaps ironically, if you'd made it through an episode, you'd be begging for everyone other than the dumb barbarian brute and the womanizing bard to shut up so those two could talk more
>>
>>54736072
Yes that's why it's bad that they didn't know. It's right there in the PHB, the book they were all forced to read to make their characters.
>>
>>54735883
I'm excited to see the rage when the whorish Druid flakes out during the Vecna fight and causes a TPK.
>>
There are a lot better actual play podcasts out there.
>>
>>54737992
I watched/listened to episode one and that made me laugh

>They get into their first encounter in awhile
>She takes some damage
>Flees even though she had Stoneskin AND A BARD

my sides
>>
>>54738076
The worst part is that she's the only person who can stop Vecna from petrifying the entire party. They literally can't win the fight without her, and she's totally incompetent.
>>
>Reinhardt best guest
>>
>>54738176
I'd assume that happened in the first fight with Vecna then. I happened to catch a part of the newest one and one mentioned getting shrekt by Vecna.

Unless she is literally beyond stupid I doubt she will run though. It is the end of the campaign so at worst she dies a session early. Plus I'd bet if they do TPK the DM will just mcguffin them back to life or hard reset since he seems forgiving as fuck

I might listen to a few more episodes. Somethings are annoying (Especially how the mics crackle every time they get loud), but it made for excellent background noise. (Plus they are all good at their voices so it helps)
>>
Why are they fighting Vecna in a homebrew setting? Cant they come up with their own villian?
>>
>>54738322
Because they are still following 5e it's just they play a little loose with the rules sometimes because they want to tell a story more than anything

The only non-5e thing they really do is that one of them is a Custom Class because they were doing it in Pathfinder and transitioned to 5e, and he was playing a Gunslinger.

Plus this campaign is fucking 5 years old
>>
>>54738322
That sort of thing irritates the hell out of me too. The PF campaign I'm in (it's the only thing I've got up in my armpit of a town) is apparently set in Eragon's world, but the enemy this time around is infamous PF "ravener"/dracolich Kazavon. Real original.
>>
>>54738295
IIRC she fell off a cliff and refused to save herself and so he let her revive for no penalty. It's totally lopsided how they favor her over the rest of the party.
>>
File: raging_lanza.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
raging_lanza.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>54735926
>I hope it's copypasta cause to be that upset that people other than "hardcore" nerds are joining your hobby is autistic as fuck.
No it's not. It's not any different from being angry when you and your friends play baseball every sunday, then a bunch of skinny fucks who suck at baseball show up and start insisting on being allowed to play, bringing their girlfriends and insisting they be allowed to play. Even though they don't know the rules and constantly fuck things up and you just want them to all go away. Except if you do, you're a dickhead, right? No, actually, most people would side with the baseball guys on that one. So why the FUCK are RPGs expected to be more inclusive? Oh is it because we are poor little nerds? We're all friendless virgin losers who live in our mom's basements and smell weird, right? so we should be ECSTATIC that some chads and roasties are actually willing to tolerate our presences long enough to try out our shitty games. It's OUR job to pander to THEM even though they are unlikely to spend more than 20 dollars on the hobby, ever. Yet game stores continue to have shit like "ladies' night" to try to get women into 5e, as if the game has some kind of diversity quota it has to meet or else it will be made illegal to play. Oh and remember, the RPG hobby is dying, so we NEED new blood, just like we NEED to import those refugees. You need to MAN UP and step up to the plate and teach these new players how to game, and if they want to bring in their shitty homebrewed Argonian race from Skyrim, or name their character after the guy they played in Dark Scrolls, that's okay, because they are being creative in their own way, and you HAVE to accept them otherwise you are oppressing them, and they have more of a right to be in this hobby than you do, because they saw it on Stranger Things! Not to mention dumbing down the rules to make it easy for them.
>>
>>54738368
>>54738395

Out of all potential villains, why Vecna in a setting like this?
>>
>>54738489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfbHKyk3p2Q
>>
>>54738494
>Even though they don't know the rules and constantly fuck things up and you just want them to all go away

I'm reminded of that one forever alone.jpg where he's standing by himself in the corner at a party, thinking how the music's too loud and everyone's annoying
>>
>>54738602
>>54738489
KEKEKEK I can't say I haven't done dumb shit like that before.

To sum it up she tried to dive off a cliff but failed an athletic roll, and then almost saved herself but fucked up anyway.

As a DM I'd probably let it go and give her a pass because her punishment was looking like a gigantic fucking retard in front of like 200k people.

Plus it's his fiancee so what the fuck did you expect
>>
>>54738602
This shit triggered me so much
>She didn't pay attention to him describe the cliff as a slope
>Just assumed and fucked it up
>Tries to argue it with the DM
>LOL what a dumbo let her have a free pass cause she is a hot girl
>>
>>54738602
What happened to the dragonborn sorcerer?
>>
Are there any tabletop podcasts or streams or anything that are actually worth listening to? I'm in desperate need of background noise.
>>
>>54739022

He died.
>>
>>54739022
The player got booted off for being a fucking retard powergamer That Guy, and his character and his entire nation died later on.
>>
>>54738743
I'd expect him to be able to find someone to screw him that doesn't have a mental deficiency. But hey, some people are desperate right?
>>
>>54739022
>>54739100
Plus he kept getting into fights and shit with people off camera and eventually moved on

Turns out he recently admitted to being addicted to drugs during the whole thing
>>
>>54739059
The ones I listen too
Ghostbusters Resurrection
MILKRUN
NeoScum
Tabletop Escapades
Call of Cthulhu Mystery Theatre
The Danger Dice Game, the DM is the writer for the D&D comics
Dungeon Rats
Never Tell Me the Odds
Pretend Wizards
Crit Juice
>>
>>54739164
Can you describe what genres/games those are?
>>
>>54739118
He doesn't seem to be particularly obnoxious in the episodes I've watched but I'm still pretty early in. Anyway, aren't sorcerers organically broken and overpowered? Seems like a dick move of the group to rage at him for just happening to pick a strong class.

Fair enough if he was being turd OOC though but there are definitely other characters that shit me off more than him.
>>
>>54739309
Sorcerers aren't OP unless you multiclass. And of the archetypes Dragonborn Sorcerer isn't strictly the best one. It's cool and flavorful, but not as broken as Favored Soul or Storm Sorcerer.
>>
>>54739184
Ghostbusters Resurrection is run on an updated version of the old Ghostbusters RPG. It follows a Florida branch of the Ghostbusters. There are three season right now, each season has them dealing with a supernatural threat with a bonus episode with them fighting another 80s movie threat, like Beetlejuice or David Lo Pan. It has sound effects and a soundtrack
MILKRUN is Shadowrun not too trenchcoat but not pink mohawk either.
NeoScum is also Shadowrun, entirely pink mohawk. Very 80s action movie, very rules light, very funny. More about character interaction than story.
Tabletop Escapades is D&D. Custom setting following a group trying to stop dragons from rekindling a war between two continents.
Call of Cthulhu Mystery Theatre is the Call of Cthulhu RPG. Trying to solve a murder in the 1920s while trying not to go insane
Danger Dice Gang is Jim Zub, the writer for the offical D&D comics and Skullkickers, running his writing friends through classic modules ported to 5e
Dungeon Rats is d&d following a group of adventures framed for murder and sentenced to imprisonment in a never ending dungeon
Never Tell Me The Odds is the Fantasy Flights Star Wars RPG. Each season is broken up into Episodes like the movies following a bunch of different settings
Pretend Wizards is D&D. A group of adventurers is trying to take down an organization that is possibly controlling the walled city they live in.
Crit Juice is d&d. It's a bunch of actor friends playing d&d and getting drunk. They have drinking rules and you can submit other ones to them for every time the crit or crit fail.
I can go into depth a little more for any if you like.
>>
>>54735592
I've had two new players join my group who where talking up how great it is, after a few sessions of them carrying on I decided to give it a listen. Found out both their characters are ripped straight from it with no changes except the name. So it's soured me on it a little bit, but I wouldn't recommend it
>>
>>54739391
Thanks! Those Shadowrun ones sound great for inspiration.
>>
>>54739516
Both of them are very fun. NeoScum has only been around since February but it is one of my favorites. Milkrun is really cool because they are really big on the Shadowrun community and at the end of each episode the GM will recommend some other Shadowrun podcasts.
>>
>>54735639
This
>>
>>54735827
I just can't get into this post due to the sheer amount of content
>>
I tried to watch one random episode but I realized I have no patience to watch some strangers try to play D&D.

Unfortunatly it seems every other gamer these days loves it and learns all their bad habits so I have to hide the fact that I haven't watched it.
>>
>>54739164
>>54739391

Just wanted to say checked out one of the podcasts (cthulhu) and immediately liked it. Audio quality, personalities, qualifications for having a podcast all hitting the spot. Thanks fa/tg/uy
>>
>>54739864
I rather like it, but I get where y'all are coming from.

What bad habits (besides not bothering to learn their shit) do they have?
>>
>>54739952
If you liked that one then I would also recommend you check out the Ghostbusters Resurrection one, same production crew so it has the same production quality.
>>
>>54739972
I don't know if these are specifically from watching youtube eceleb RPG games but my two pet peeves are:
Asking nonstop clarifying questions even after the DM has reasonably described something, fishing for info.
Stating their character action as conditional if statements, "if that's the case then I think that my character might try to..." instead of "I do..."
Getting free extra skill checks out of turn by shouting out to the DM.

Combine all three into the neverending infinite quantum timewarping clairvoyant character, meanwhile the rest of us do our one skill check per turn as per the rules.
>>
>>54740176
I get all of those. Makes sense to complain about.

I wish they would just do shit and live with it, instead of trying to optimize their action economy instead of building better characters.

Not sure what you mean by the 3rd one, but that might just be b/c I'm tired and dense.
>>
>>54737977

Except they started the game in Pathfinder, and switched over to 5e for the sake of the show. They were literally not used to playing the new edition yet.
>>
>>54740225
I agree, but counterpoint: they've been playing 5e for longer than they have Pathfinder at this point.
>>
>>54739309
they didn't rage at him, he picked fights with the cameramen/sound guys and eventually stopped showing up to sessions for like 3 weeks, and they announced that he was no longer involved with the stream
>>
>>54740245

Currently, yeah. There's no excuse for the main cast to not know how their mechanics and abilities work.
>>
>>54740176
>Asking nonstop clarifying questions even after the DM has reasonably described something, fishing for info.
Sounds like lazy DM

>Stating their character action as conditional if statements, "if that's the case then I think that my character might try to..." instead of "I do..."
Should take you once to tell them to stop. If not tell them to go play somewhere else

>Getting free extra skill checks out of turn by shouting out to the DM.
?
>>
>>54738494
I agreed with you until this turned into
>my immigrants
And now I'm back to not being sure if you're trolling or not.
>>
What are good actual play podcasts

Also is it worth listening to the stolen century because it's been really boring one episode in

can i just skip to the next arc?
>>
Actual quote from Critical Role

"I'm a Cave Bear so i'm blind like a fish"
>>
>>54735743
seriously, it's normie tv
>>
They annoy the living fuck out of me and I can't watch them, however I have met a few people who are a ton of fun to play with who gained interest in the show.

Sure there are others who are retarded but it balances out for me
>>
>>54735743
That guy is actually the only player who isn't shit
>>
>>54740435
I listed some of the ones I like here
>>54739164
>>54739391
>>
>>54740546
Fucker are you talking about Keyleth the tard---I mean, druid? She's worse than the rest of them combined.
>>
>>54740861
I think he meant Grog, who is the best of them all other than the guy who quit
>>
File: happy jacks.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
happy jacks.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>54740435
Anyone else listen to pic related?
>>
>>54741236
They've got to let that guy cut loose with the deck of many things at some point
>>
>>54737999
What would you suggest?
>>
>>54741279

Stopped listening because they couldn't stop sucking 3.5 dick
>>
>>54739164
>the writer for the D&D comics
You mean the god tier 4E comics?

rip comic you were better than we deserved
>>
>>54739819

Just thought I'd reply because I appreciate your post anon. Keep up the quality.

....Also to be on topic, I enjoy Crit Role a lot, but yeah, there's a lot of content. Your mileage may vary!
>>
>>54738489

Wow that sure is an amazing way of bending reality to suit your needs.

...And I'm talking about you here, you stupid fuck. You know Vex had that Revivify coin on her; it wasn't a case of 'letting' anyone do anything. Stop looking for reasons to hate a character/person when there's probably already plenty enough ACTUAL irritating things there to sate you.
>>
>>54738743

As the DM I would have read the fucking rules where it states fall damage caps out at 20d6 and not caused all of this bullshit to happen in the first place.

But hey, Matt's game, he can do what he likes.
>>
>>54742279
>I enjoy Crit Role a lot, but yeah, there's a lot of content.

Same here. At first it seemed daunting to attempt to catch up, but I eventually made the effort after I really got hooked (during the Briarwood arc).

I recently finally caught up, only to realize that they're now in their end-game story arc. Which kinda buts a bit of a buzzkill on the feeling of finally catching up to the story...
>>
>>54742327
It was a cliff as tall as a 100 story building.

There is no way in hell that 20d6 is even remotely realistic damage for a fall of that height.

A fall from that height would be fatal. Don't even roll for it. Just auto-fail your death saving throws as you splatter on the ground and disintegrate into something resembling the consistency of chunky salsa.
>>
>>54742328
They're starting a new campaign at about lvl 3 right after they finish up with this ark. Frankly, I hope it will happen sooner rather than later.
>>
>>54742365
20d6 was the cap for terminal velocity in 3.pf
>>
>>54742365

Eventually you hit max velocity for your mass. I figure if the speed is on an arc, after a certain amount of time you're not going to hit the ground any harder, or relatively not quite so hard, as you otherwise would. So I'd expect a dice-cap, and lo, there it is. 20d6.

Now you could argue that only covers 200ft when terminal velocity for a human is 1,500 or so...but still, it's RAW, and probably RAI too.If you want to house-rule it like Matt did then feel free.
>>
>>54742427
>in 3.pf

Okay, but this isn't 3.pf.

And 20d6 is nothing to a character at high enough level.

20d6 even at max damage is 120hp.

Characters at their level (17 at that point?) can easily survive that.

Realistically a fall from a height roughly equivalent to the tallest building in any major city(the Empire State Building for example) would be 100% fatal, baring some freak unexplainable miracle of physics that lets the person somehow survive.
>>
>>54742491

Pretty sure people have fallen from greater heights and survived though.

Just ordinary folk.
>>
>>54742515
Hence the "freak unexplainable miracle of physics".

It can happen. People sky diving who survive their chute not opening for example.

But even the experts seem at a loss to explain HOW exactly those people survived the fall.
>>
>>54742456

Just looking up articles on this:

"A free-falling 120lb [54kg] woman would have a terminal velocity of about 38m per second," says Howie Weiss, a maths professor at Penn State University. "And she would achieve 95% of this speed in about seven seconds."

So yeah, after a certain point, lets say....20d6's worth, you're not gaining an appreciable level of extra damage via speed.

'We know for certain a person can survive a fall of at least 20,000 feet. That’s how far up World War II pilot Alan Magee was when he had to abandon his plane without a parachute. He crashed through a glass roof that likely helped spread out the impact. According to James Kakalios, Ph.D., a professor at the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Minnesota, how and where you land is one of the major factors in whether you get up from the ground or go 6 feet further into it.'

So really, damage should be based more on what the character falls onto, and how, than how far they've fallen.
>>
>>54741236
>other than the guy who quit
You mean the guy who meta gamed, power gamed and constantly rerolled his dice and then declared it his role for skill checks the DM didn't ask for? That guy who quit? Because go fuck yourself
>>
>>54742553

>"freak unexplainable miracle of physics".

But it is explainable, in the sense that 'oh you rolled a bit' or 'you bounced a little'. Sure it probably still by the averages should have killed you, but that's hardly inexplicable, simply unlikely.

Either way, as the initial impact Keyleth suffered was suffered as a fish, I think that I'd be perfectly content with the label of 'unexplainable miracle of physics' as well, considering magic was involved.

So either way, it's fine. 20d6 sounds good to me.
>>
>>54736028
You should watch Thrilling Intent. It feature the players at the table, but it has a slight element of animation and it's edited for a smoother viewing experience.
>>
>>54739391
Thanks for the recommendations! Being able to have something to listen to while at work is a godsend.
>>
>>54739022
He was into drugs, got HIV and during a testing for it was discovered to have cancer too. The reason why he left the show is actually something else he said he couldnt talk about for legal reasons. I didnt like his playing, but he was obviously going through more than i care to know. Dont know what hes up to now, but hes not coming back.

As for the show, its fun. I only recently discovered it and didnt think i could push 500 hours of catching up, but when you download the audio and listen to it like a podcast it goes rather fast. Almost halfway through in just 3 weeks from listening to it at work.
>>
>>54740309
the DM is the one thing you really cant complain about with CR; he weaves good story telling, is very knowledgable and keeps track of a lot, but mostly its just his storytelling and voices that are phenominal. its what everyone would want.
He did say in the beginning that he wants to play it fast and loose so its more entertaining to follow and also keeps the levity in the cast. Thats fine. Ive sat at way too many tables that just flip through charts and books talking in low normal voices what their characters are doing like tax accountants. Fast and loose is refreshing even hundreds of hours in
>>
>>54736028
>>54739059
I like Neals stuff so far. Heard about Frozen Frontier first in some thread here, and catched up on that, and now Hardcore heroes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4aWmW3sVylbcOdKmUnEqkw
Shame that the last two weeks of Frozen Frontier were "single player" flashback sessions, because the full troop couldn't assemble.
They usually play AD&D 2e with some hombrew rules
>>
>>54743181
Please don't trick me anon, I believe everything I read on the internet.
>>
>>54738594
Because the Briarwoods arc, typically considered the best in the series, was about a vampire and a necromancer actively working to bring Vecna closer to godhood? Because this is DnD and important gods and evils from DnD are involved? I don't know, does anyone in this thread actually watch the show?

Anyway, best arcs:
>Briarwoods > Feywild >> Ripley > Westrun > Underdark > Raishan > Vasselheim >Current Arc >>> Eamon (Thordak) > Misc Vestige Chasing > Draconia >>> Hell
>>
>>54743198
There's a lot of pasta's circling around about how Critical Role ruined DnD via casualisation of the playerbase, but I think the real issue going forward is the impact it will have on DM styles. And I'm not necessarily talking about the overloading of player-character relevancy or Nat 20 memes, although those may also become factors. No, I'm focusing on NPC's.
Matt Mercer being the voice actor he is can seed his world with up to a hundred distinct NPC's at a time, some of which have ended up with really high status in the story and cherished personalities. I'm referring especially to Gilmore and Kima, the former a vendor and the latter a rescue mission NPC. But the process of these characters becoming important can be missinterpreted by lesser minds as a deliberately designed artifact. Already back in 2015 I was encountering DM's who were honestly convinced that if you make an a-priori declared homosexual superwizard NPC that tries to make "bants" the players HAD to automatically like them.
It's ridiculous of course, and GMPC's aren't new by any means. But due to people not understanding that it requires HUNDREDS of different NPC's out of which the players might spontaneously feel attached to just one, and instead thinking that there's a recipe for likeable NPCs / it is critical to have likeable NPC's, the result will make GMPC's a staple.
Always remind people introduced to DnD and tabletop from Critical Role that the game is ultimately for players, and GMPC's are something that only happens very rarely and only under the players express desire/interest in the character. Normal NPC's should NEVER be designed with the goal in mind that the party will treat them as one of their own, and for hell's sake don't let them be gay just to score affirmative action points.

Tl.Dr. Critical Role condones GMPC's but has internal reasons to do so, always discourage your DM's from trying to do a Matt Mercer NPC style when they can't or the party doesn't want them to.
>>
>>54743800
DMPCs?

Beyond Lady Kima for like 3 episodes, who else is there?
>>
>>54743646
Hell was that bad? I stopped watching after the first episode when the Chain Devil started going after Vax's albino form. Couldn't handle another Vax-centric mini-arc. Also, Briarwoods = Ripley = Feywild >>> the rest.
>>
>>54744388
I include Ankharell in the Ripley fight so I'm inclined to agree, but I felt the RP between Ripley and VM was a bit weak. I would've enjoyed a week long guerilla campaign on Glintshore where the two teams try to eliminate each other, with some kind of anti-magic designed by Ripley's wizard to make Scanlan's mansion inaccessible.
Briarwoods was super intense and gothic from start to finish, though, holy shit was that good.
Apropos Hell, it's the most underwhelming, even more so than Thordak. At least with Thordak they were overprepared to all degrees, but in Hell they didn't have to suffer any of the true dangers such a trip would endow. As for Vax, he doesn't matter that much despite being the primary reason they're there i.e. Hotis.
Oh and I forgot but the Aramente is strictly worse than Hell.
>>
>>54744617
Oh yeah, that Kraken fight made me cringe into another dimension. And I agree with you, Ripley's arc could've been more well thought, but the fight between the two parties was really good and probably the only time Matt actually tried to overwhelm VM with a bunch of enemies plus a blinking Ripley. Kinda why I think the fight against the Briarwoods was a little underwhelming because it was 7 x 2 and Delilah only got a Finger of Death that resulted in nothing.
>>
>>54744712
It got pretty tense with the entire party trying to save Vex in an anti-magic field and stop Lady Briarwood from completing the ritual at the same time. Of course the ritual wasn't going to succeed either way but the party didn't know that. This was back when the players were still terrified of dying.
As for the numbers, if they hadn't used pretty great coordination it would've just as likely been a 4v6 with Cassie still on the Briarwoods side and Vax mind controlled.
>>
>>54742308
Revivify only works on a whole corpse. Falling from such a great height would have destroyed at least her arms and legs, and the spell can't restore missing pieces.
>>
>>54743856
Not him but, Lady Kima also joined them in seeking the Deathwalker's Ward and fighting Vorugal and Thordak. Gilmore and Jarett joined them against Thordak. Allura joined them against Raishan.

An important point though is that in all these instances it was for a short while and the NPCs were lower level than the average party level.
So really they are more like just NPCs who join the party at their request for a specific task than DMPCs who are the DM playing in his own game and basically fellating himself.

IIRC Matt Mercer's first game of d&d involved the DM making a DMPC Paladin and giving himself a bunch of stuff. Which encouraged Matt to run his own game so he wouldn't have to deal with that shit. So he is well aware of the dangers of a DMPC and is able to avoid them.
>>
>>54744774
As mentioned, by RAW the damage from the fall would have capped out at 20d6 anyway, so it basically all evens out anyway.

God I wish people would stop being so anal about the rules. Who actually plays correctly 100% of the time anyway? Everyone forgets shit, DMs make rulings to keep things moving and groups tweak things to suit their preferences. That is all intentional for D&D.

People used to call Gary Gygax and ask him how certain rules were meant to be implemented, he would always ask them how they ruled, what they did and then say that seemed good to him.
In essence, everyone has their own version of D&D they play. The 'Game of D&D' just encompasses all those different games. While it's fun to think about what would happen if Matt had followed RAW/RAI, or to evaluate the pros/cons of different houserules, just the fact that they use houserules, or forget things, is not really any justified basis for criticism of the show.
>>
>>54739059
WolfsGoRawr and takahata101 have some decent D&D campaigns going on youtube, only a small sprinkling of reddit-tier humour.
>>
>>54745002

People called Matt out on the 20d6 rule, and he responded by giving his opinion that it's a dumb rule, and that his house-rule is that there is no damage cap from falling.
>>
>>54744900
>>54743800

The point is that Mercer's party participant NPC's (basically DMPC's) are participant on the initiative of the party, not because Mercer made a decision to make a DMPC which is something beginner DM's watching Critical Role would think is normal to make. But even in Mercerworld there are risks. Hell if VM brought both Allura and Gilmore to Thordak/Raishan they would've just won.
And of course we can't forget the greatest DMPC ever, motherfucking LARKIN!!
>>
>>54745002
I think the point was that he was far too lenient on a players retarded decision to roll badly to jump off a cliff, turn into a goldfish of all things and ignore the environments description. Also the disbelief at this result kind of indicates everything about the game being a no-risk wankathon as the party inevitably achieves the campaign goals. Less of a game, more a improv drama where they roll dice sometimes to see if they 'do the funny thing'.
>>
any good streams for editions other than 5th?
>>
>>54745152
IIRC he explicitly gave them the choice of taking either Gilmore or Allura, but not both, to the Thordak fight. The other being needed to help the armies or defend Whitestone or something.

They probably should have taken Allura though, she seems to be more powerful
>>
>>54745235
How was he lenient? I thought she died and took a hit to her revive DC? Not sure how he could be much more harsh than that really.
>>
>>54745444
Lenient in that she didn't explode into bits and that a revivify would work
>>
>>54745235
Sometimes it's just better to move on than make a big thing out of a stupid decision. They would have just gotten pike to do a resurrection ritual anyway, and the method by which she died would have kinda undercut the drama of that. At least this way there is the small amount of drama from her and vex keeping it a secret that she died once.

In regards to the stupidity of the decision itself. Sometimes player's don't always grok the DM's description right away or can't visualise what the DM is saying/thinking. Sometimes things just get lost in translation. Which is what I think happened in this case, where Marisha didn't realise it was a 1000 ft drop until it was too late, and then didn't realise the 20d6 cap didn't apply. Also sometimes improv just falls flat. In such cases, it's probably best just to move on rather than drag things out further. Keyleth got a light slap on the wrist in terms of making future resurrection harder, so there was some consequence, and we moved on. Plus at least it was memorable.

>>54745114
I know. Which means it's not a big deal that revivify was houseruled to not need a complete body in this instance. The two houserules cancelled each-other out in terms of severity to the players. He was going neither easy nor hard towards Marisha.
It allowed him to move the game along by avoiding having to spend more time on a resurrection ritual, which would have conflicted tonally.
>>
>>54745479
But he was being harsh in ruling no 20d6 damage cap. So he was just balancing that out. Keyleth got the consequence of a small hit to her revive DC, the party lost the cost of a revivify spell and they lost the chance to recover the diamond they were looking for in the first place

Seems pretty even-handed to me.
>>
>>54745375
Which is strategically idiotic. If the party had failed to defeat Thordak, Whitestone's defence/illusion shield would've amounted to jack shit.
The correct way is to avoid situations where the PC's have powerful NPC's offer them help in large numbers in the first place. It sends the wrong message to new DM's, that they should be making "superlikeable superawesome super-NPC" with the purpose of having them aid the party, when most of the time players prefer doing things on their own.
>>
>>54745612
Strategically, there are only so many people they can take with them before it gets unwieldy, both in game and out. It's a stealth mission. Plus, the had Kash and Zahra with them but they had to stay behind to give them time.

I think Allura was helping their army. It's like Aragorn at the Gates of Mordor, someone needs to distract the enemy forces so the heroes can get shit done. And they have to be good too, otherwise the enemy defeats your forces easily and then circles back and you get swarmed.

Nah the correct way was basically how Matt did it, to make it so the party has to split the forces/npcs they have available to them, delegate. At the level they are at, PCs are generally leaders and command armies and nations. So it would make sense that powerful NPCs would help them, especially when the world is in danger.
>>
>>54736221

They were still new to 5e/streaming the show at that point.
>>
>>54740466
Marisha is functionally retarded, what else is new?
>>
My only issues with CR are:

1) Vax and keyleths shitty dialogue. It's a lot easier to watch if you just skip over them talking

2) Lack of any feeling of risk. When Vecna disinigrated vax, that should have been the end of his character, bringing him back gives the feeling of VMs victory being assured. I get that it's the end of the plot and a brand new character would have been weird, but they could have done a dozen other things to make that event not shitty. Having Liam play as his father or his revenant having no memories of being "vax" would have been good story telling. Now I can't even watch because the shitty cringe dialogue just sucks.

3) lack of consistency with characters. Keyleths entire shtick is oblivious white girl who wants to save the world and hug the trees- not my thing, but whatever it's still a fleshed put character. When she shows no remorse after causing a pixie genocide in the details, because she insists on doing her thing all the time, I really wanted to see a grown up moments of "oh man I fucked up real bad". Instead, we get another hundred hours of self righteousness.
>>
>>54738781
She didn't get a free pass though, she just got revived...?
>>
>>54739309
he really starts being super jew-ey and trying to steal everyone else's time in the spotlight, he needed to go
>>
>>54735983
They played PF before it started getting streamed.
>>
>>54739118
>>54739022
Specifically, he got hooked on drugs and alcohol and went into a downward spiral because he went in to get a blood test and was told he had HIV, and incidentally the test also found that he had cancer. So he got depressed, alienated himself from most of his good friends, and wound up with the wrong sort of friends (enablers).

Apparently he's starting to get his life back in order now.
>>
>>54747041
Then why is Marisha still around?
>>
>>54736028
Your fellow DM and players.
>>
>>54747113
Matt's dick puppet
>>
>>54747113
marisha shuts the fuck up when other people are talking? god you fucking austists really don't like good looking women, huh?
>>
>>54747155
Only the retarded ones
>>
>>54747186
Marisha is fine. It's Liam O'Brien who needs to swallow a fucking grenade imo
>>
>>54738076
>be Moon Druid
>only wildshape into forms that Land Druids would have access to as well at that level, and then avoid melee like the plague

In addition, they frequently ignore concentration rules and action economy. The worst offender was the Sorcerer.

>casts two spells in a round by misapplication of quicken
>doesn't even keep track of spell slots or sorcery points
>has far more spells in his list than allowed
>rerolls bad dice when no one's looking
>>
>>54747155
She's the least attractive female out of the regular cast and everyone at the table knows this.
>>
>>54738602
Good call on Mercer, playing the consequences of idiotic choices straight. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
>>
>>54747155
No she doesn't, when she has something she wants to say, she pushes her way into the conversation regardless of how much she shouldn't

Of course, that's a minor gripe really, interruptions happen during tabletop games, no real way to avoid them.

The real reason why Marisha's the worst is that she is totally incapable of playing the character on her character sheet, so she roleplays a completely different character instead, and somehow everyone's ok with this
>>
>>54745479
I don't think people magically explode when they hit the ground hard. Even if the impact had somehow torn her in half or something, for a group at their level it wouldn't even slow them down. Worst case Pike would have to burn a resurrection spell and they'd have to go through one of those little ceremonies again.

Then again, RAW she shouldn't have died anyway so I think if anything Matt was being harsher than he needed to.
>>
>>54745612
It was supposed to be a stealth mission, they couldn't exactly take everyone they've ever met with them.

Plus if they defeated Thordak and then came out and their army had been slaughtered because they nicked all the good leaders they'd be fucked too, so I think some compromise makes sense.
>>
>>54747455
At a certain point, stupidity has to be punished, even if the rules don't directly support it

Marisha made 2 unforgivably stupid decisions in a row. First to jump off of a massive cliff. And second to turn into a fucking goldfish on the way down instead of, you know, anything that could fly.

If a player made such unbearably moronic decisions like that, you bet your ass I'd kill their character, I'd warn them before they go through with it. Ask them if they're sure and all that, but if they go through with it, they're dead
>>
>>54747512
>If a player made such unbearably moronic decisions like that, you bet your ass I'd kill their character
So exactly what happened?
>>
>>54747305
So she's not as hot as Laura Bailey? Agreed but that is not saying much.
>>
>>54747537
Yes but I have to sperg out about the DM's girlfriend even though she isn't the worst player at the table.
>>
>>54747581
But she is

Everyone else is at least capable of playing their own character, even Orion's portrayal of his character matched what was on his sheet, he did have 4 wisdom.

Marisha's character has 22 wisdom in a game where you're supposed to max out at 20, so she is supernaturally wise, and yet she plays her character as if her wisdom was 6. Ignorant, unaware, and impulsive. She also has a charisma of 10, and yet keeps trying to use charisma rolls to solve all her problems. I think she thinks she's playing a sorcerer or something, and it is the worst thing
>>
>>54747676
this again....who the fuck cares?
>>
>>54747676
I get that its not right, but I can't get as worked up over it as you for some reason. It doesn't seem to hurt the game, functionally speaking, and people aren't having less fun because of it.

Also a character that does nothing but be wise as fuck all the time would be quite boring. And I don't think Marisha would be up to playing it well.
>>
>>54747689
>>54747781
How can you not care?

I seriously don't understand, this is the greatest failure in D&D, it only falls slightly behind playing with your phone at the table in terms of most annoying things people can do during the game
>>
>>54747880
No, the greatest failure in D&D is not roleplaying your character. Having a personality trait that isn't strictly based on your stats isn't a bad thing. Keyleth is pretty wise at times - wisdom doesnt mean you have no character flaws ya dingus.
>>
>>54735592
It's fine, except for when they think the plot matters. They're "actors", by which I mean voice actors, meaning they all went to theatre school but aren't good enough to act on stage or on screen, nor can they improvise well. This of course means that they repeat themselves fucking constantly and are very lazy when it comes to drama, tension and serious moments. Just about everyone here skips any scene where they suddenly put on a low voice and try to have serious 1 to 1 conversations.
Sam's comedy is 10/10 every time though.

Oh and Keyleth is fucking unbearable, fuck Keyleth.
>>
>>54747920
But they're the same thing

Not rolaeplaying your character and roleplaying the wrong character are just as bad as each other, you're splitting hairs here
>>
>>54747880
But I don't find it annoying. Its a bit of a shame that she didn't play it out better, but honestly when she's not being too autistic I quite enjoy the way she plays Keyleth. Its fun and entertaining, while still managing to be serious sometimes.

That being said most of the time its a bit of a mess. I don't think she could pull off a wiser character without it turning out like Pike and just being really inconsistent.
>>
>>54747924
I like the dramatic scenes, as long as they don't have Liam O'Brien in them.

Also you are retarded. Being VO means they're not good looking enough to be actors, it doesn't mean they are shitty actors.
>>
>>54747924

One of them is frequently gone from the show because she is in a tv show.
>>
>>54747920
>Keyleth is pretty wise at times - wisdom doesnt mean you have no character flaws ya dingus.
>jumped off a 1000ft cliff, used a cantrip and a turned into a goldfish, complained when she died
>set fire to a forest, was surprised when the fire spread to a house in that forest
>gave a 20 min rant about not trusting Kima (a Paladin) even though they had a fucking Mind Flayer in the party
>tried to fuck up a deal with The Clasp to save lives because "but The Clasp r criminals u guiz!"
>decided to attack Raishan immediately after the Thordak fight almost causing a TPK purely because "muh peoples!"
>character got a year off soon after apparently becoming leader of her people, decides to open a bakery and get tattoos instead of going home to lead
And this is just a handful of in character moments, theres so much about her as a player which is fucking unbearable too
>>
>>54748011
your autism is leaking, might need to see a mechanic
>>
>>54748031
Nice argument, 10/10 utterly refuted, witty and original riposte.
>>
>>54748042
thanks
>>
>>54735592
This thread is bait, /tg/ doesn't like it cause its streamed dnd, and according to the rules of any /tg/ user, no streamed game is a proper game

(here's the schtick, nobody uses RAW perfectly ever)
>>
>>54748065
Streamed games are fine, it's just that Mercer isn't that great of a DM and he's pussywhipped by his mentally disabled girlfriend.
>>
>>54748085
he's harder on her than he is on almost any of his other players...also not a great DM? Since when...
>>
>>54748011
>decided to attack Raishan immediately after the Thordak fight almost causing a TPK purely because "muh peoples!"
She said 'don't let her touch him', which I understood as 'don't let her do anything until we get there, just in case'. Vax decided to actually start the fight.

>character got a year off soon after apparently becoming leader of her people, decides to open a bakery and get tattoos instead of going home to lead
She went home to lead during that time too

Wise people get angry too, that felt like as suitable moment as any. Unless you're arguing that a wise character should have complete iron grip over their emotions at all times, which I'd understand.

I'd argue that the fire and cliff are both partially Matt's fault. Marisha didn't seem to understand that she might hit rocks at the base of the cliff, he should have told her directly. Fires don't necessarily spread in forests, especially if you're not in a hot part of the world.

For reference, she is not perfect. She's pretty bad. But she's far from the complete disaster you paint her to be. Then again this is 4chan, why the fuck am I trying to preach nuance on here?
>>
>>54748118
He's both excellent and mediocre. The descriptions and NPCs he's great at. Worldbuilding and encounters are a big weakness of his. Especially boss battles, those have almost all been lacking.
>>
>>54748148
>Unless you're arguing that a wise character should have complete iron grip over their emotions at all times
Yeah, you know actually, i think someone who literally has superhuman wisdom should know better than to let their emotions lead to rash decisions.
>>
>>54748118
>he's harder on her than he is on almost any of his other players
HAHAHAHAHAHA
no.

Allowing a 1000ft 360dmg fall to be rezzed by a 3rd level Revivify was unbelievably generous.
>>
>>54748148
>Marisha didn't seem to understand that she might hit rocks at the base of the cliff

Hitting the water after a 1000 ft. fall is the equivalent of landing on solid concrete. The surface tension is strong enough that you turn into so much animal jelly no matter if you belong in the water or not.
>>
>>54748148
When does a lack of understanding stop being the fault of the describer and start being the fault of the one being hearing the description?
>>
>>54748201
Yeah, he's a very generous DM to all of them though. Case in point: how much bullshit he allowed Orion to do for so long.
>>
>>54748085
Mercer is a pretty good dm, in every capability one can be a good dm. Considering how often he challenges and checks marisha, and has literally let dice decide her life, no, I don't think he gets run by his girlfriend.

I've been in games with bad players, and DM favoritism. I wish I had a group that interacted with content as good as they did, but a lot of them aren't that comfortable with roleplaying (which is fine, not everyone is a lit major or actor). I think people overreact about Critical Roll due to its size, if it was smaller, I think /tg/ would be less hyperbolic, but whatever.

>>54748164
Boss battles in 5e suck dick no matter what, but on the upside they're way better than they've ever been.

>>54748177
Wisdom doesn't necessarily impart good manners or being able to manipulate social interactions. Just in the manner that Charisma could be interpreted via attractiveness or their ability to charm people.

>>54748203
She did die though?

>>54748201
Revivify just doesn't restore limbs, if everything is in a pile of jelly, there isn't a lost limb. Why are people acting like it's hard to resurrect anyway? They're level 17, they could gather the resources to have a wizard cast fucking wish
>>
>>54748203
Then he should have said that. "Marisha, if you hit the water you will take 100d6 damage."

Boom, crisis averted. She seemed to think she'd just splash straight in, hence the goldfish manoeuvre.

>>54748209
Hard to say, but having rewatched that section a few times (because its hilarious) it seems pretty obvious that she doesn't understand what the big deal is. Regardless of whose fault it is, it would have helped a lot if he had just described a tiny bit what would happen if she hit the water, as in
"You might hit sharp rocks or you might hit water. Its about 50-50, and if you hit rocks you will take an obscene amount of damage."

I don't normally like just straight-up telling players outcomes, but if they really don't seem to be understanding their situation its a good last resort.
>>
>>54748257
>She did die though?
And a third-level Revivify brought her back with no penalties, despite it being only a conditional resurrection spell.
>>
>>54748209
This, literally everyone else in the party understood the fall would be fatal, they had to save a gnome from the same fall in a previous episode, Laura immediately was concerned as soon as Marisha got that dumb fucking grin on her face saying she wanted to "Pocahontas swan dive", Travis was egging her on because he knew she'd die and thought it would be funny, Matt was very clear she would probably still hit rock, when she said she'd turn into a goldfish Laura asked why not a flying fish at the very least. Marisha is just wilfully retarded

>>54748257
>Revivify just doesn't restore limbs, if everything is in a pile of jelly, there isn't a lost limb
Haha you have to be fucking joking. Okay, fine if you want to use RAW with your interpretation being that as long as nothing is missing Revivify can bring back a human pile of jelly, how the fuck are you going to put organs back in the right place? And how many seconds do you give them until they die again because their brain covers a 20 radius?
>>
>>54748312
So you'd just have spun the episode out for a while by making them get pike down there and cast resurrect?
>>
>>54748288
>Its about 50-50
He literally said this bit word for word. He was exceptionally clear that her efforts had not been enough to avoid the rocks (not that hitting the water at 1000ft would have been safer anyway).
>>
>>54748380
If I was running the game, that action would be considered so stupid that I'd say she'd completely surrendered the right to keep playing that character and that it's time to reroll

But i spent a lot of time running 2nd edition, so maybe my view is skewed
>>
>>54748380
Yep. Or Reincarnation. At least Resurrection has rez sickness. She took 3 times her HP maximum and turned into a fucking puddle, Revivify should have had no effect.
>>
>>54748380
I would have ended there and taken the time to think up a way for her to bring back the character that reinforces that what she did was stupid and derailing for the others.

Maybe offer them the chance to do a sidequest to restore her attributes from an incomplete resurrection.
>>
>>54748447
>I would have ended there
It was 11mins into the episode to be fair.
>>
>>54748458
Ah, in that case there's plenty of time to cast a real revival spell. Even more importantly, if they couldn't recover the corpse she would have to reroll.
>>
>>54748471
>if they couldn't recover the corpse she would have to reroll.
True Resurrection and Reincarnate give a new body I think those would be fine.
>>
>>54748489
Did they have the ability to cast those spells? Also I would laugh if they made her Reincarnate. That's the ultimate retribution for stupid party-members, since you have to roll randomly for your race and there are some very unattractive choices.
>>
>>54748506
Reincarnate yes, TR no.

Ironically at this point the chick who died is the only one who can cast TR.
>>
>>54748531
She's also the only one who can cast Reincarnate, it's a Druid only spell.
>>
>>54742586

>guy tells you experts can't explain it
>"lol day bounced a little u don't know nuffin"
>>
As bad as Marisha is, I gotta talk about how terrible Liam has gotten. Yes, we get it, you're undead. We know you're going to die. We know the raven queen's a bitch. We know you love the druid.

Literally everything about his character has become so one dimensional. He's become too edgy. I get that being dead and going to die at end of the quest sucks, but god damn dude no one wants to hear you talk to keyleth for the fiftieth fucking time about 'I LOVE YOU!!!!!!' I swear with the several conversations dealing with Keyleth the past four episodes or so, you could make a whole episode dedicating to JUST THEM. Fucking just end it O'brian.
>>
>>54748416
Your view is extra skewed, there was ressurects in 2nd and for that level of party it would've been nearly trivial.

>>54748363
Oh no, you make revivify take an extra minute, who gives a shit they're not in combat

>>54748436
Why shouldn't it? Revivify doesn't have an HP condition, she got punished and she died, problem is the punishment is not that effective considering they're levels 15-17

Also this argument is really dumb because A: Matt has extra rules for ressurections, which is already an extra difficulty check, and B: Marisha took extra damage instead of 20d6 for maximum fall damage

>>54748611
He literally told people who talked to him that hey, get over it, we got lots of chances, no biggie, its gonna suck but it'll be alright. If Keyleth wants to have a discussion yeah, course it'll be sad but christ man if you're gonna nit pick the plot at least be consistent.
>>
>>54742586
>20d6 sounds good to me.
>200ft fall should do as much damage as 1000ft fall
>humans don't even hit terminal velocity until 1800ft
>a fall off the Chrysler Building is the same as a fall off the Leaning Tower of Pisa
>>
I don't really get a lot of the complaints in this thread about this game of dnd. Don't you guys use house rules? It's not like stream dms make you use your rules lol. And if people mess things up so what? It's not like its a competitive game of dnd? If this was like the pro league of adventurer's league, sure yeah they should be on point, but this is basically a home game, no?

>>54748692
Talk to 3.pf man, they came up with that shit. If you're gonna get theoretically technical, damage just caps out at 1800 ft, done.
>>
>>54748692
>a dude with a warhammer should do as much damage as magical fireballs

>a spike in your foot should do as much damage as an average punch in the face
>>
>>54748655
>who gives a shit they're not in combat
People who want to see the game played properly
>Why shouldn't it? Revivify doesn't have an HP condition
Because what it does have is the condition that it doesn't restore fucking limbs, meaning RAI it does not reform the body or put back anything missing. In your retard world Revivify would restore a literal human puddle back to human form, purely because "lol no limbs are missing! xD"
>Marisha took extra damage instead of 20d6 for maximum fall damage
See:
>>54748692

>>54748716
>If you're gonna get theoretically technical, damage just caps out at 1800 ft, done.
Fine by me. Terminal velocity is the point at which something is travelling as fast as it possibly can be by falling, TV for a human is about 1800ft, so any higher than that is not going to make the fall any faster and therefore would not increase the force with which they hit the ground.
>>
>>54748797
No, there isn't a RAW ruling for "jelly human" and missing limbs isn't clear either. A DM could rule anything from jellyification means no revivify, to revivify works as long as the pieces of the limb are still present, like regeneration but within the time limit and they died. It's not a retard world, it's an arbitrary "I want marisha to be punished overtly, even though the punishment is unclear and not that big of a deal considering pike, the cleric with raise dead is above her." The proper way is to have a DM make a call, matt said revivify works in these conditions, and we moved on. You can "xD" all you want but there's no RAW for it, so its dm discretion in the end.
>>
>>54748611
implying Liam has only just "gotten" terrible. He's been terrible since the start.
>>
Sometimes people scatter to bits when they fall to death, sometimes the body stays intact. I'd have ruled that there'd be little left but widespread guts salad and a red smear given that she fell at high speed against sloped rocks (would have been different against grass or foliage), requiring more powerful revival magic than Revivify to restore the body.

But to argue about that is idiotic. It was clear to any sane person that her action was suicidally dumb, and Mercer was entirely within his rights to rule as he saw fit. He chose the path of punishing her idiocy by death, but also to let the situation resolve quickly and easily enough so the session is not derailed.
>>
>>54749527
The problem is that nobody tells her she's retarded. If you look at her social media posts she's constantly in a bubble about why fans of the show hate her so much.
>>
>>54748148
>t. Marisha
>>
>>54747224
Orion was an active cheater, as opposed to being scatterbrained or forgetful
>>
>>54750230
>implying that Marisha isn't also cheating but playing dumb
>>
>>54743800
Casualization is fine since 5e lends itself to it, but people getting into it would quickly find pathfinder or shadowrun or any other numbercrunch heavy game if thats what they want out of it. Ill admit i didnt know D&D could be as fun as CR shows it to be; every game i sat at felt like people talking about a game and not actually playing it.
GMPC really takes life because of mercer, but is often more than what most gms ive worked with do. What ive seen in the past year are players that the GM delegates npcs to. Usually these are the significant other of a player and isnt at every game, but might be for a week or two. Its tricky to work but nicer than OP BADASS guest spots that dont make sense.

>>54743521
no tricks. Orion posted a vid which was reposted on Geek n Sundry. Supposedly he got the cancer out but of course still HIV positive and still admits having a continued drug problem. That might explain why he was so eratic at some games but in general he was the most disliked player since he didnt play the game aspect right. You can see matt's frustration when he refused to take a hit or loss on something. In one fight his int went down to like 1, and was supposed to be "a drooling mess incapable of any communication or action" but he kept saying "I WILL MOAN OUT 'HEEEEEEEELP'"
>>
>>54748506
Vex was totally fine with Vax being reincarnated, it was Keyleth who got obsessive about bringing him back as normal. Should've been hit with a serious DC penalty for the res due to that selfishness. Also they promised to kill Orcus lol.
>>
When the gunwielder almost became a vampire, did anyone else kinda wish he did just so the character would go through a change and be interesting/different for a bit? Be neat to have a goodguy vamp gunslinger guy for a mission or two then and maybe get cured eventually, but just to change shit up
>>
>>54750283
>>54743800
Missing the point. Mercer's GMPC take life because the players chose to interact with them. No matter how much a DM would try to emulate Mercer's style they wouldn't be justified in attching GMPC's to the party - the party choses to pay attention to NPC's. I've seen a lot of DM's who take Critical Role as a symbol that having a spontaneously bisexual super charming wizard is what the party needs at all times, not understanding that even if all four of those things are done right the party maybe doesn't want a character shoved into their party by the DM.
>>
>>54750358
He was never at risk of being a vampire, and if his demon had claimed him he'd have become something much worse, probably irreversibly.
>>
>>54738602
You can just see Mercer break apart, holy shit.
>>
>>54750230
There was a time he asked a question, failed a throw on getting the answer, so he kept rephrasing it just to roll again and again. It was obvious matt and some others didnt enjoy his antics. I dont understand why he even had a cult following; whatever good things you can say about his annoying acting you can say about gun guy. Just a sore loser; cared only for the roleplay element. Scanlan does fun roleplay moments too but knows when to take a hit.
>>
>>54744774
it wouldn't necessarily have destroyed her body as she changed her shape (she was a fish when she took the initial damage). Matt described her as wounded all over, so the damage was probably spread evenly across her entire body turning her into a bit of a pulp (but whole nevertheless).
>>
>>54750642
>>54750561
still nice to see matt give consequences. There was some moment in the briarwood plot i think where they murderhobo'd some old lady and had legal ramifications after.
>>
>>54738602
>Didn't we have rule, the last one just stays dead?
If only, Travis.
>>
>>54750623
The difference between Orion and Taliesin is that when Taliesin rolls high, everyone leans in to look and Taliesin doesn't touch his dice after the roll.
The man must have gotten luck in his deal with the devil.
>>
>>54743800
>literally bitching about the thing Matt and the cast has said before "our game is our game, don't expect or have expectations that your game will be like ours, we just wanted a window into the world of dnd, to show people what its like to play it"

/tg/ continues to play armchair psychologist and sociologist jesus christ you people
>>
My only problem is that because it is so casually formatted no one really bothered to learn what to their kits do and instead rely on Matt to steer them
>>
>>54752795
When you willingly accept the publicity gained through advertisement from outlets like G&S and even Wizards themselves, you really have no bearing to play the, "W-well it's just our own game, stop judging!" excuse. They're definitely not shying away from all the attention and viral marketing thrown their way, and if the rest of us have to endure you guys fawning over your stupid D&D soap opera then be prepared for the backlash.
>>
>>54753673
Fun fucking fact, you can choose who you play with in D&D, more so than most games

Just say no if they dont play how you want
>>
>>54753113
Not true. A few of the cast really got their shit down.
>>
>>54738713
? is that relevant?
>>
>>54738602
Holy shit. He is not even a very good DM. Like, he is good, don't get me wrong. Matt's a pretty solid DM. But, except for his voice, he sounds EXACTLY like me DMing. Jesus christ this is the biggest confidence boost I've had in weeks. I mean I stumble over words sometimes but the way he describes shit he sounds EXACTLY LIKE ME, like the word choice and everything, and the way he sometimes giggles along with the players. The "...hm I would say" and how he elaborates on his descriptions later on rather than frontloading them.

Alright I don't hate him anymore. I used to hate him but not anymore. Except for the "gentle fart" faggotry, but he's pandering to the tumblr/reddit crowd there. And jesus christ that dyed hair redhead bitch and the Jayne wannabe are fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>54738602
nigga it maxes out at 20d6....how many dice did he roll.
The chick is pissed as fuck, though. Probably the first hardship she has faced in her life, lol.
>>
>>54755103
> Probably the first hardship she has faced in her life, lol.
To be fair she has Hyperhidrosis which may not seem like a big deal, but my cousin has it and it's fucking terrible. She is like 120lbs soaking wet and she will just start sweating so bad it drips off her in a perfectly controlled temp
>>
>>54748692
Pretty much. Matt comes from 3.PF so his default comes from PF's default which is 20d6 dice cap for falling damage. Get over it or run your own game where you autistically come up with damage scales for high drops and post it on your blog.
>>
>>54738602
Everyone including Mercer is laughing their ass off at how incredibly stupid it was.
>>
>>54750742
Except he let her be revived by a revivify spell without her body being terribly fucked up and in need of a regeneration casting to even slightly appear human. 1000 feet is enough to turn bones to power and onto sharp rocks basically spells cheese-grated druid.

If only the res had fucking failed
>>
File: 1491368470515.png (152KB, 358x432px) Image search: [Google]
1491368470515.png
152KB, 358x432px
>>54742742
oh fuck yes

needs more kyr though
>>
>>54739164
>Milkrun
>NeoScum

nice choices. to those I'd add Party Roll for the classic "bunch of idiots around a table atmosphere"
>>
>>54738494
You're a big gay baby.
>>
>>54735827
i hope you have a good day.
>>
>>54739164
>>54739391
I totally remembered that I forgot to add one, The Infinite Bad. It's another Call of Cthulhu RPG one and the GM and players are the actors/crew from the MarsCorp podcast.
>>
>>54740435
I'm 4 episodes into that arc. It doesn't get better, but it is the last arc before the finale, so you sort of have to listen.
>>
>>54756006
Same.
>>
>>54756003
That doesn't mean I'm wrong.
>>
>>54755912
Everyone needs more Kyr. A pint of Kyr, exactly.
>>
>>54735827
Who hurt you, friend?
>>
>>54757297
chilled in the Kyrfriderator
>>
>>54757401
Packed with all the fanart Charoth drew.
>>
>>54736028
The Adventure Zone is comfy as fuck. Youngest brother (in his late 20s) DMs for his two older brothers and their dad. It's goofy at first but the homebrew story the DM ends up spinning gets really intense, and they all have great moments both in and out of character.
>>
>>54753673
You're like every other person on this board who isn't in a game but feels the need to shit talk gaming, useless and annoying. On top of that, you're fucking stupid
>>
>>54736028
Hero's of awsome : War in Scarlet

Comfiest show !
>>
File: acinc.0.jpg (165KB, 980x560px) Image search: [Google]
acinc.0.jpg
165KB, 980x560px
Why is Aquisitions Inc. The best series? Watching the PAX sessions got me into role-playing. And they aren't super cringey and the plots are actually good. The set pieces are sick too. It really sounds like some friends having fun together.
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.