[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets say that for one reason or another dinosaurs were around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 20bb8b8470395366cca48ed5f0318b27.jpg (539KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20bb8b8470395366cca48ed5f0318b27.jpg
539KB, 1280x960px
Lets say that for one reason or another dinosaurs were around during the height of the Roman empire and were just always around.
How does this affect things? Would there be a Greek/Roman god of dinosaurs and how would these gigantic creatures affect their mythologies? How would Romans hunt something like a T-Rex if they felt they wanted to hunt one? Pic mostly related.
>>
Diogenes wouldn't have done his featherless chicken meme.
>>
>>54732524
> 'A' Greek/Roman god of dinosaurs
The entire pantheon, yes.
>>
>>54732524
The biggest thing I think would be altered is that mythological monsters would be a lot more fantastical, and any animals used as symbols of strength or something else particular might be reflected by a dinosaur instead.

Other than that, the presence of large, dangerous wildlife would make things more difficult, but it also depends a lot on climate and how far ranging they are. The way to hunt a dinosaur would probably involve large spears designed to be braced against the ground and stopping the thing from pushing its way down it. Essentially, you need pretty solid bronze tridents.

Compared to say, an Elephant, it isn't that huge of a step up for many dinosaurs. You'd probably see more development towards siege weapons, poisons, and other methods to take them out safely from a distance.
>>
>>54732524
Dinosaur cavalry.
Dinosaur Airforce.

Provided they are able to tame/domesticate some of them, would be pretty cool.
>>
>>54732524
>>54734607
Cavalry is actually a pretty good point. Horses as a whole weren't quite as big back then, and the possibility of getting something even bigger that can be armored more easily would be quite the advantage.

I'm not sure pteradactyls would make for suitable mounts though, aside from the absolute largest ones, and those seem tricky to train when you're bite-sized to them.
>>
>>54734607
>Dinosaur Airforce
Dinosaurs didn't fly.
Those would be Pterosaurs and they would not be able to fly with a huge monkey on their back, specially a huge monkey wearing Roman armor.
>>
>>54732524
GURPS Fantasy has an example setting with this idea called Roma Arcana as the last few chapters of the book. However, it also includes magic and the gods are real.
>>
>>54732524
>How does this affect things?

Many of them, but not all, would most likely be driven to extinction due to the Roman's extravagant desire for arena combat.

Same thing happened to all the Elephants, Hippos, and Lions living in Europe and I don't think Dinosaurs would have a too dissimilar fate.
>>
File: WarPigs_thumb.jpg (46KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
WarPigs_thumb.jpg
46KB, 620x330px
>>54734511
I wonder if you set a pig on fire and let it run loose on the battlefield would work with dinosaurs. It used to work against elephants, they would panic at the sight and sound of the burning pig and run over the troops they were suposed to be fighting for.
>>
File: 1496463351711.png (1MB, 825x873px) Image search: [Google]
1496463351711.png
1MB, 825x873px
>>54735909
The megafauna ones could go extinct, but what dinosaurs would be domesticated?
I guess small raptors could be artificially selected to be hunting companions and pets much like dogs, and maybe some other kind could be used as working animals or mounts or even food source.
>>
>>54734287
>Recruit a team of pagan gods with ATTITUDE!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.