[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Magic the Gathering isn't all that popular with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 33

How come Magic the Gathering isn't all that popular with girls?
They seem to like Hearthstone a lot.

What gives?
>>
>>54718210
Only one those can be enjoyed with iPhone.
>>
>>54718210
Girls tend not to spend money on overpriced paper, they have other shit that interests them. Most of girls tend not to play it for long, the thing with MtG is that it is a gateway drug to boardgames/rpg, and boys tend to stick more becausse they fear they will get rejected by new friends they meet playing it, while that fear is less present in women. There you go anon.
>>
>>54718210
It's because Wizards keep nerfing Red.
>>
>>54718210

Toxic community, expensive entry and maintenance costs, non-mobile, male dominated, less players than other games, demands physical presence and interaction, competitive, and outdated.

The same reasons the player base don't increase, with the added problem of toxic and male dominated community.
>>
>>54718210
It's going to depend a lot on who's introducing them to the game.

Hearthstone also has the advantage that you can start playing without spending anything. Theoretically, you can keep playing that way, too. Which makes it much more attractive as something to try. Even if more people who try Magic keep playing it, more people will try playing Hearthstone, so you could easily end up with Hearthstone having more players as a result of that.
>>
>>54718210
You can play Hearthstone without having a roomful of sweaty guys staring at you in a combination of lust and confusion.

You can also play Hearthstone competitively without your opponent being a condescending ass. The other week at FNM, my opponent reassured me that "It's okay that you don't know how the rules work." Dumb motherfucker was trying to claim that his Soul-Scar Mage meant that Djeru's Resolve wouldn't save my creature from a burn spell.
>>
>>54718336
>Toxic community, expensive entry and maintenance costs
Not to dispute your other points, but those basically come by default with being a girl.
>>
>>54718420

>The other week at FNM, my opponent reassured me that "It's okay that you don't know how the rules work." Dumb motherfucker was trying to claim that his Soul-Scar Mage meant that Djeru's Resolve wouldn't save my creature from a burn spell

There is also a point to be made about MTG being obtuse as fuck with the rules and rulings, lending itself to that kind of discussion.
>>
>>54718450

Kind of agree with you, but think about it as some extra toxicity and costs.
>>
>>54718420
I'm not sure which effect takes priority, but due to the way soul-scar is worded, Djeru's resolve might actually do fuck all, since soul scar is a replacement effect that turns incoming damage into -1/-1 counters
>>
>>54718420
And he would be right
>>
>>54718210
hs is made for retards and normies, mtg is too complex, now that hard to understand.
>>
>>54718210
How come nursing isn't all that popular with guys?
>>
>>54718718
You don't have to go to medical school or whatever to learn how to play Magic.
>>
>>54718662
>>54718682
The owner of the creature gets to choose which one to apply in the case of multiple replacement effects.
>>
>>54718210

They don't have to make contact with the kind of sweat-drenched stinking 300lb neckbeards that play MTG when they play Hearthstone you fucking braintrust.
>>
>>54718420
Is this pasta? Or am I having a huge case of Déjà vu?
>>
>>54719133
You can always check the archives by post text to see if something's pasta or not.
>>
>>54718210

Think about the people you play Magic the Gathering with. Now pretend they all want to fuck you, and most of the time all they do is hit on you instead of playing Magic.

Would you want to play Magic the Gathering anymore?
>>
>>54718315
Delete this ;_;
>>
>>54718210
It used to be, but neckbeards.
>>
I asked my girlfriend who used to play, and her response was that "those places smell funny. Why do nerds not shower?"
Maybe that has something to do with it.
>>
>>54718210
The game is unappealing to women from a thematic and mechanical perspective. Couple that with a negatively charged and often vitriolic community and you've got yourself a largely male player base.
>>
>>54718707
For the record, posts like these are exactly what draw normal people into /r9k/ just to trigger the robots.
>>
>>54718210
Because most of the dudes that play it at shops are disgusting. Hell other dudes don't want to play with them more often than not. They're better at tourneys but you have to learn to play at draft and FNM before you can hope to compete and you can only really do that at an LGS, and the crowds there are usually terrible.
>>
>>54718210
MTG attracts future sex offenders and most women don't want to be raped.
>>
>>54718210
next to DnD I'd say Magic has the highest ratio of female to male out of any /tg I've seen, still not very high, but higher than anything else
>>
>>54722770
In my experience, that's true at my LGS, but not the other ones I've been to. Everywhere else, it's always board games that have the most girls playing.
>>
>>54718315
>>54719397

>That meme again

Red is crushing Standard right now.
The two last Modern playable Planeswalkers printed are Red.
Monastery Swiftspear, which make 4 of the 10 creatures played on Modern Burn was printed in a recent set.

Red is in great shape right now, shut the fuck up allready
>>
File: imga1.jpg (51KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
imga1.jpg
51KB, 600x315px
>>54718210
I have two theories. First is pic related, a pervert harassing innocent asses.
>>
File: 1483804697565.png (278KB, 1078x828px) Image search: [Google]
1483804697565.png
278KB, 1078x828px
>>54723096
The second is that magic players don't quite know what to do when women and cards are together.

They simply go off in entirely unrelated things, and this is seriously disturbing.
>>
Too many bad smells from the MTG side if my FLGS
>>
>>54723096
Appeal for ass decorum is not a harassment.
>>
We have a female player at my LGS. Kinda ugly , kinda chubby, huge insecurities and dady issues, in short: a walking stereotype. Because of this I can't imagine a non "damaged" girl playing Magic.
Maybe I'm wrong but heh.
>>
Hearthstone
>free to play on phone
>don't have to interact with anyone unsavory

MtG
>costs a lot of money from the start; not all value in those cards remain
>either you have to risk interacting with a community that is stereotypically inexperienced with how to interact well with women (and a few are even unpleasant to interact with in some sort of way), or play buggy Magic Online

I think the answer is obvious. I would go as far as to say that there are more gay guys and trans people combined in a few LGSs than cis women.
>>
>>54718336
Could you please explain why a primarily male community is automatically a "problem"?
>>
>>54723336
If you have to ask you're part of the problem, friendo.
>in4b your Stockholm Syndrome-suffering gf is somehow anecdotally relevant
>>
>>54723096
>harassing innocent asses
I know, right? They were just hanging out.
>>
>>54718210
With Hearthstone, you don't have to smell your opponent.
>>
>>54723525
this
I've heard horror stories; you like to think the autism and sexism are blown out of proportion, or only happen in worse-case scenarios, but it's disappointingly real.
>>
>>54723336

People tend to flock around their equals, even from a gender perspective.
>>
Almost all women won't do anything unless there are either a bunch of women already doing it or a man heavily pushes them to do it. You either need a critical mass of renegade women before the rest will decide it's okay to like thing (this is what has happened with Hearthstone) or virtually the only participants will be those who are being strongly encouraged by a nearby male (how MtG has always been).
>>
>>54723480
Nobody needs your shit about Stockholm Syndrome.

>>54723336
I'm not that anon, but in my view a predominately male community isn't inherently bad. The minds of boys and girls have different tendencies, and even have a few outright differences that are only broken in rare exceptions.
However, the lack of females playing a game is viewed pessimistically as an untapped market. Having more people playing is good for the company and the community. More people playing means more opportunities for players to play the game as well as more options as to whom you want to play with.
There are multiple factors that play into why the community is disproportionately male, and some of them are acceptable or out of the hands of the company and community, but others may be the result of one of those groups doing something that drives females away or fails to attract them.

I've heard that YuGiOh is more popular among black males than MtG. The most solid hypothesis I've heard is that YuGiOh has an anime that makes it easier to market, whereas MtG usually relies on word-of-mouth among the predominately white (and also usually having more money) Magic players.

>>54723553
My LGS has a lot of obese guys, but I haven't come across anybody who reeks. It may be my below-average sense of smell, but I think I would know if somebody didn't shower and deodorize.
>>
>>54718210
The real question is how to keep the rest of them out.
>>
>>54723606
Oh, (you).
>>
>>54718682
>would
since the damage is prevented, there is no damage to replace with counters
same reason deathtouch+trample works the way it does
>>
>>54723553
Yeah yeah everyone has heard the horror stories, but i never experienced them and neither has anyone i personally know.
>>
>>54723606
Well, time for me to go to /r9k/ to trigger some virgins.
>>
>>54718210
1. >>54718241 this
2. Magic is OOLLDD
3. Magic's fans are overwhelming fat BO neckbeards
>>
>>54723696
yes, of course, "if the score of people I associate with haven't experienced it it hasn't happened;" very reasonable.
>>
>>54723480
>You're totally wrong, but I can't tell you why, then you might question us.

Well, if you can't bother to 'educate' people, then you're not part of the solution, are you?
>>
>>54723336
Being male dominated isn't necessarily a problem, but it does mean a woman won't feel like she'll have peers, and may feel uncomfortable being around so many men. Like it or not, sex is going to define social interaction between men and women. Exceptions do exist, but for social peerage we tend to seek out same gender for this reason
>>
>>54723730
By that logic, couldn't the "my horror story is real, therefore it must be somewhat common" also be false? If we want any data we're going to have to do some surveying. Otherwise the prevalence of LGS horror stories is ambiguous.
What I want to know is what were these locations like? Was it a dumpy LGS, big LGS, a LGS that has busy staff, LGS with careless staff?
>>
>>54718718
There are a few of us, even here on /tg/ It's an interesting problem. Men entering a female field tend to improve work culture and increase pay across the board.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/opinion/sunday/men-dont-want-to-be-nurses-their-wives-agree.html

Though you can be a nurse and not really have to interact with your coworkers, where as in magic interaction with your opponent is almost guaranteed.
>>
>>54722942
Monastery Swiftspear isn't even that good or cute
>>
Why are tabletop gamers so fucking gross? How do they all struggle to not smell like shit?
Like seriously, what other hobby requires "Please be hygienic" reminder posters
>>
>>54724031
It's just bad diet+anxiety
>>
>>54718210
>They seem to like Hearthstone a lot.
Presumably there isn't quite as much plumber crack in Hearthstone.
>>
>>54724031
I'm glad I live in a cool climate. I figure most of these references to people being sweaty and smelling horrible refer to warmer areas
>>
>>54724052

how does anxiety make you smell bad
>>
>>54718210
literally because the existing virgin neckbeard population of users is actively repellent to most of them
>>
>>54724153
You get nervous, you start to sweat, shit sticks to your clothes and that's it. Doesn't matter if you had a thorough shower and blasted yourself with cologne, you're still gonna smell.
>>
>>54722737
I've never seen muslims at my lgs.
>>
>>54718210
Playing Magic means having to be in close proximity with other magic players and I wouldn't wish that on any woman.

My gf used to play MTG with her older brother, but after visiting a shop just twice she lost interest immediately because of the people.

Besides, Hearthstone is actually fun.
>>
>>54723654
actually, I'm a judge here, he chooses to use soul-scar mage and then your djeru's resolve doesn't do shit

so he was right
>>
>>54718210
MtG is a pain in the ass to play. Men like games that are a pain in the ass to play, that's why we glorify fencing and chess and war itself. My own wife will refuse to play anything that isn't Rx Aggro despite the fact that I KNOW she'd be a hardcore UBx Permission girl deep down if she'd invest the sweat and tears. They just have so much more to do in life than worry about building the best deck and making the best plays. You know, like putting on makeup properly and pretending to look like they're actually interested and entertained by you and like they're actually interested in sucking your dick.
>>
On a semi-related note, MtG is a good way to tell if a self-proclaimed "nerd" girl is actually a catfish. If they say they like MtG in any capacity, then they're actually some neckbeard in his mother's basement.
>>
>>54718210
Hearthstone is a spinoff of WoW.
Many girls played WoW.
This makes Hearthstone more approachable.

I can't really argue it's a bad thing. How many of us here see a movie or play a game and want to homebrew it into an RPG immediately afterwards? Hell, the main reason I got into tabletop games in the first place is because I got hooked on Mechwarrior 2 when I was in elementary school.
>>
>>54725142
>pretending to look like they're actually interested and entertained by you and like they're actually interested in sucking your dick.
True, though one could take a page from that and do a little makeup on themselves, as well.
A little blackface will go miles in getting them to want to suck that dick.
>>
>>54724682
Literal ruling on the card Soul Scar Mage:
>If multiple prevention and/or replacement effects are trying to apply to the same damage, the controller of the creature that would be dealt damage chooses the order in which to apply them. As examples, an opponent could choose to apply the effect of Djeru’s Resolve and prevent the damage rather than put -1/-1 counters on it; or an opponent could choose to convert the damage to -1/-1 counters before Insult could double it, and then Insult’s effect won’t apply anymore.

Tell me some more about how you're a judge and can't follow logic on cards, though.
>>
At least in my two local game stores, there is a lot of sexism running rampant, both in the "Aw, do you need someone to help you play" and the straight up lechery way of things, which I imagine turns most people away.

I don't mind it so much, being underestimated means more packs when I go 4-0
>>
File: vit6QzG.jpg (121KB, 1024x729px) Image search: [Google]
vit6QzG.jpg
121KB, 1024x729px
>>54723096
The hero we need.
>>
>>54718210

Because MTG requires some strategical thinking as opposed to Hearthstone which is extremely straight forward.
>>

That's not necessarily true. Hearthstone, as a digital game, has a global playerbase. Magic is mostly played at a local level, so even if the overall proportions are similar, if your LGS doesn't have any, you may never see a female player.

Then there's the fact that Blizzard's marketing approach allows them to cast a much wider net towards prospective players than MTG. There's no barrier to entry, and they have a large customer base across multiple games to market to, including the mobile market.
>>
File: stop.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
1MB, 480x358px
The real question is why the fuck are so many men dumb enough to play Magic.

>Expensive
I don't play, but the fact that people speculate on the price of cards speaks volumes.
>Shit community
Your 'friends' are only your 'friends' because they share your addiction. I mean, damn, I collected pokemon cards when I was 7 too, but a couple years later I knew that shit was just a dumb fad. How old are you now and haven't learned your lesson?

And before you say
>B-but it's just a hobby
I've seen This Exact Thread enough times to know you're not meeting women elsewhere. You're not meeting them because it's not a hobby, it's your life. You're probably young, and you obviously have disposable income since you're wasting it on the cardboard crack. Youth and some scratch is everything you need to be doing all the best things in life. Women and sex are nice and all, but there so much more you're missing out on.
If you enjoy the game, then whatever, seems retarded to me but to each his own. I do /tg/ shit for fun so who am I to judge. Maybe it being so expensive makes it feel rare and special for you or some shit. But when the fact your hobby isn't providing you a gf is a problem it's not longer an issue with the hobby, it's an issue with your lifestyle. You can brush me off if you want and regret it later, or make a change and reap the rewards. Good luck.
>>
>>54726227
Is this pasta? It reads like pasta.
>>
I will argue for the toxic community.

I have personally introduced 3 women to the game.
they all liked the game.
one was put off by a few guys at the LGS that had a terrible smell. it was fucking disgusting and we literally gaged for a second. this was a pre release event and the atmosphere was nice, this was the last time she ever attended a lgs. I mean I tried to play it off as someone eating Indian food mixed with the trash can but she just kind of was grossed out.

another one was put off by the attitude prevalent amongst players of "I'm the smartest thing in the room" morons not understanding social cues and making thinly veiled sexist comments. guys creeping on her from a distance and dealing with scoffs and mockery for being interested in the game. not by bullies outside the game but by players that thought being a noob and a girl is a sin.

the last one is the safest story as she was a good player and she was put off by walking in to the local group talking shit about her. she was pretty and literally a 9/10 and neckbeards couldn't handle being so close without spilling all of their spagetty or going full fedora tip on her.
what was worse is that they would talk about raping her and tucked up shit behind her back until she walked in on it.

these are the sad stories of introducing women to magic.
this is all true.
I still play with them every once in a while and we remain friends but they will never play in an lgs again.
>>
>ITT: People that forgot that Kitchen Table with your friends and/or bf exists
You can play MtG without going to a LGS to play
>>
>>54726227
i'm not meeting them because i'm gay check and mate reverse-faggot
>>
Two Words
Electrostatic Pummeler
No woman wants to see her carefully constructed deck torn apart by a 1/1 robot
That just turned into a 40/36
That just hit them for 40 trample
Then The asshat spent his remaining 2 mana to cast Fling just to put her on -60 life
>This was how I won game day.
>>
>>54727099

pummeler represent
>>
>>54718210
STOP introducing hoes in my autistic thangs ,you lil pathetic neck beard.
>>
>>54727139
Robo Battle Buddies forever
>>
>>54718314
>women are less materialistic
>women are less invested in relationships

lol
>>
File: tiddy.jpg (71KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tiddy.jpg
71KB, 500x667px
>>54718210
Obviously because there's too much tiddy in the art. Women hate tiddy. If WotC cover up all the tiddy, it will solve all the problems and attract all the womens.
>>
>>54727325

I knew Lily was a bad girl, but reading a newspaper in the bath?

Shocking.
>>
>>54727337
Ikr it would get all soggy
>>
>>54718336
>Expensive entry costs
Bitch what?
You can buy a premade deck for 15 bucks or a deck builder's toolkit for 20! And thats canadian dollars so its probably pennies in the US.
>>
>>54720016
What, thematicly is less appealing than see hearthstone which use WoW lore of all things? I suppose the mechanics might be more offputing maybe.
>>
>>54718210
You can't stream it with your tits out.
>>
>>54726457
Seriously, kitchen table is more fun than LGS play anyway. and if you are in college you might be able to find a tabletop club to play there, too.
>>
>>54727555
Not with that God damn attitude
>>
File: 1500051377794.jpg (346KB, 1697x735px) Image search: [Google]
1500051377794.jpg
346KB, 1697x735px
>>54727238

pummeler_fling.jpg
>>
>>54719235
>Would you want to play Magic the Gathering anymore?
Yeah.
>>
>>54723336
Women tend to gravitate towards things their peers (other women, usually) are doing, rather than starting new hobbies on their own.
>>
>>54719235
Now I want it even more~
>>
>>54718210

I've met plenty of girls who play or have played magic.

They just mostly refuse to go to events or play anymore, because the guys who play magic in public are overwhelmingly creepy as fuck social rejects who get either angry at them, aggressively "flirty," or both.
>>
>>54723696
Well, you don't personally know me, but it's why I stopped going to FNM.
>>
>>54723336
Women are sooky and avoid male heavy groups.

Probably a hang over from when rape culture was actually a thing.
>>
There's nothing wrong with male dominated communities per se. Just like there's nothing wrong with female dominated communities. Anyone who says otherwise probably believes that women are made of sunshine and rainbows or something. Both can be good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

The problem is, when there's a large number of socially awkward neckbeards who don't know how to properly function in human society. Men can tolerate them much better than women, mostly because to men they're harmless if a bit annoying and stinky, while women might feel threatened by their creepy and untoward advances, and them being also annoying and stinky surely doesn't help things. Mobile games like Hearthstone lets women experience the fun without having to deal with the aforementioned bullshit.
>>
>>54727913
>Probably a hang over from when rape culture was actually a thing.
Wait, are you telling me your LCS doesn't have a Rape Dungeon?
>>
>>54727913
You mean like the 1200's?
>>
>>54726457

And if you want to find players that don't have all these social problems, only order cards online, and never go to an event, release, tournament, etc., you can.

It's a lot more work, though, and for little reward, especially when a game like hearthstone has none of those problems.
>>
>>54727938
>>54727930
>>54727913

Okay, I know you guys are memeing, but this whole fucking thread is about women being made to feel sexually uncomfortable/threatened in a space, regularly, across the country.

Maybe it's not as ridiculous as your making it.
>>
>>54723480
Shut up, Wil Wheaton.
>>
>>54718210
I think it just happens to be less women who are interested in the game. And the ones who may be interested are easily driven off by the pricetag of the game and the shitty community around it. Kitchen table magic is the only way to have a genuinely good, non-stressful time playing magic.
>>
>>54725826
What color do you play?
>>
File: 1499400779209.jpg (150KB, 1292x678px) Image search: [Google]
1499400779209.jpg
150KB, 1292x678px
Who gives a shit, women ruin everything. Look whats happening to video games and comics now. Not everything has to pander to women like a fucking Special K commercial.
>>
File: 37657546546547.jpg (918KB, 1100x1800px) Image search: [Google]
37657546546547.jpg
918KB, 1100x1800px
Our society has a misconception that some activities are "for boys" and others are "for girls". This is all made up, and all the scientific studies in the world that look at the physical differences between men and women don't explain the gender dominated hobbies more than people simply saying that's the way it "should" be when people are growing up.

Thankfully my dad didn't care about all that and gave me tolkien and asimov and phillip k dick to read when I was growing up, so I naturally gravitated towards nerd stuff growing up.

Magic and vidoegames and dnd etc seem to be becoming more popular with women these days though, which is nice. And the only thing that changes was the societal impression of these hobbies. They're more mainstream, thanks to stuff like stranger days and critical roll, and so that becomes exponential as more people start getting more people into it.
>>
>>54718210
Girls?

You should ask why new players are having a hard time, before you talk about women.

It's literally the community. I started MtG around 9 years of age, me and a friend bought 8th edition starter set that had a rule deck and 2 decks. I've went to my first shop/pre-release when I was 12, during a Coldsnap pre-release.

At first I thought shit's really cool because there was practically adults only and they took me on a common friendly ground. Two fucking things happened during that pre-release that just made me stop playing outside my friends circle for good 4-5 years:
One guy, who I assumed knew the "judge" (was a shop owner) called it on me, because he was soon to lose to my Earthen Goo that has became quite big in last 3 or so turns - the "judge" "ruled" on me that untap step goes AFTER the fucking upkeep and so I can't pay for my Earthen Goo cumulative upkeep + I get a warning and if I'd continue to argue I'd get DQ'ed (fucking pre-release mind you).

Other thing that happened - after pre-release few guys approached me to "trade" with me and soon after I got home, I've noticed I was lacking a lot of my rares and some other cards I pulled in pre-release,

The only people that legitimately aren't retards and assholes or some autists in this scene is fucking Vintage crowd, because most people are in their 30's and treat the game as an actual hobby and have actual lives/family/etc.

If MTGO was decent, I'd never again play MtG in real life, besides Vintage with some proxies.
>>
>>54723336
It's a problem because it makes you feel completely left out. Not to mention guys talk over you constantly. It's irritating and makes you feel like you don't belong and that no one wants you there.
>>
File: 1501117138458.png (81KB, 481x637px) Image search: [Google]
1501117138458.png
81KB, 481x637px
>This hobby is fun
>You know what would make it better?
>Vile creatures my dick has a positive reaction to
>Because I cannot separate getting my dick wet from having fun
>>
The question isn't why women aren't playing Magic, but why men still are. Magic is boring P2W bullshit with shitty rules designed to only keep your interest long enough for the Skinner box to kick in. It should have died in the late 1990s like the rest of its ilk.
>>
>>54728292
People like you are what are ruining things, not women.
>>
>>54728011
Maybe it's not as paranoidally dangerous as you're making it either.

This whole thread is about why MtG isn't as popular with women, and so far people have given a lot of various reasons why. Being sexually harassed might be the reason for some women who have sadly experienced it, but it's hardly the main reason for women in general.

Also, consider that some of us are not from your country, you burger-chomping Amerifat.
>>
File: 1487613083563.png (414KB, 792x611px) Image search: [Google]
1487613083563.png
414KB, 792x611px
>>54728096
>Try to play the game at a LGS.
>Tons of people I can smell from across the room show up.
>Like 3 fat guys who can't even pull their pants up giving dirty looks to everyone and taking up two tables on their own.
Gee, I wonder why more of us don't show up to play the game?
>>
>>54728645
You're fatshaming, pantsshaming and smellshaming those poor people anon. Disgusting!
>>
>>54718210
I used to play back in middleschool(Mirrodin days, had a an Affinity deck I adored with Disciple of the Vault and Broodstar), played with all my friends, was a regular at the LGS, attended FNM and drafts and some tournaments, traded(some dickhead took my Auriok Champion in exchange for a semi-decent burn deck, didn't know any better back then), the whole thing.

But then came highschool, got separated from my friends, Kamigawa wasn't doing it for me and puberty was hitting like a truck so I just stopped playing, didn't look back.
>>
Because there are too many creeps who play MTG. It's not like a RPG where you only ever have to interact with a small group.
>>
>>54728705
>smellshaming
Anon should've checked her not-stinky privilege.
>>
>>54723605
>I've heard that YuGiOh is more popular among black males than MtG. The most solid hypothesis I've heard is that YuGiOh has an anime that makes it easier to market
Black dudes love badass anime like DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh and such
>>
>>54728797
>an Affinity deck I adored with Disciple of the Vault and Broodstar
Woah girls are cancer
>>
>>54724288
No one to rape, anonymous.
>>
>>54728459
What can we do to help solve this?
>>
>>54728850
I've never seen a black guy play MtG honestly.
>>
>>54728990
It's simple anon, abduct a couple females so the new female wouldn't feel lonely
>>
If i was a girl theres no chance in hell I'd want to be around all the gross neckbears. I can barely hack it as a guy so I dunno what I'd do if they wanted to fuck me as well.

There's one girl in my lgs and although I've never seen anything truly bad these nerds just act like complete spacs and call her 'madam' and shit it's weirf af
>>
>>54723605

I think yughio does have both lots of anime series for it, although only about two are good its also got movies and word of mouth.

there is also the point on its also less balanced then MTG so while its rather annoying to try and beat a meta deck, it has more spontaneous and in some cases surreal feeling to it. an example is you can fight the same guy 3 times with a different deck each time and get very different results.

I also think magic has less combinations of decks and archetypes. but don't quote me on this as this last point is pure speculation. I hope this helped and if it didn't then ignore it
>>
I truly wonder where these fabled LGSs full of filthy neckbeards are. I've been to stores across New England and while there's always the token fat slob, I've never been assaulted by human stank and they don't even make up a minority. There are definitely the spergs who hand out there, but 75%+ of people I see playing any traditional game in a public settings are normal people
>>
>>54718210
I don't want to buy a ton of junk for a game that's why

I used to play it but got bored after a few games
>>
>>54729019
Only one I know has, and that's only because YuGiOh isn't popular at all in the midwest so he switched over.
>>
>>54718210
Got any numbers or just memes OP
>>
There's only one way we can find the answer to that question, /tg/.

We should all dress up as cute girls and go to a LCS and see for ourselves
>>
>>54728575
I'm not making it to be anything, I'm suggesting not dismissing their experience when we have a lot of evidence for it.

Fair point on the America part, though. I was trying to only speak for what I knew; outside of the US and Asia where I've lived, I have no data about mtg's popularity or culture.

Big in China, no women play at all, small in Japan, btw.
>>
>>54729156

Just went to the Bookery in Dayton a week or two ago,spergfest. Am from Durham originally, all of those are spergfests.

You have to consciously and with a mind for business create a space that discourages spergs. The problem is a lot of stores are started by gamer nerds who got capital, not businesspeople who like games. It's a very different environment in those two kinds of stores.
>>
>>54729337
unfortunately as seen with the free-to-play video gaming industry some times it's more beneficial to encourage spergs who will drop thousands on a product than try to go for mass appeal and find yourself spread too thin when you don't reach enough people.
>>
player hygiene
>>
>>54724031
Frankly it's not always that obvious. Im not a fat ass but i sweat as a pig, and i did not notice the smell intill someone pointed it out to me. Now i take a shower before i go to my LGS when it's hot, but people overall dont smell themselfs, so they are not aware of how much they reek half the time. Plus some people just smell and can do nothing about it. Hell i knew guys who could shower twice a day, change cloths every day, often buy new cloths and keep their apartments tidy, while still smelling like a fucking barn animal.
>>
>>54727419
building a deck that can stand a chance agients a tenth of what is flying around in most LGS requaiers tons of money, this is why when i go play at LGS i bring my freinds decks, because next to no one builds non-competative deck which means my blue black zombie deck will get trashed by turn two and i dont really feel like buying a pre-made deck just to stick it to the neckbeards who have been munchkining their decks for the past 10 years
>>
File: 1491374623253s.jpg (6KB, 177x249px) Image search: [Google]
1491374623253s.jpg
6KB, 177x249px
>>54728645 Here

>>54729156
There's only one MtG store in my area, and it's like this. Which is why I'll never go there again.

There's other places that don't focus on MtG that are fine, though. There's a games workshop here that is okay, and a few local stores the focus on board games.

Oh, there's also a board game bar here, which is super fun and I haven't seen ANY of those types of guys in it.

GenCon was the worst, though. It was a fun experience but the place is absolutely loaded with smelly overweight people.
>>
>>54728934
I had fun and I won a lot with it, not gonna apologize
>>
>>54729582
that focus on board games*
>>
>>54728292
>what they did to videogames
>we are now living in a golden age
>RPGs, RTS, 4X grand strategy, multiplayer games are making a comeback
>Legends of old are comming back and making their own independent studios to make more games on their own terms
>Kickstarted has made a massive amount of games that would have never been made possible
>The indie market is starting to matter as much as the AAA market without out lousing all the things that made it good

I want nostalgia fags to go and stay go,we are litearlly living in the second golden age of vidiogames, cant say anything about the comics but i expect that the same is true
>>
>>54729602
Not that guy, and he's kind of a moron.

However, all the things you've listed about video games aren't really related to women in any way. They happened because a) video games became a huge market in the late 00s b) technological growth and spread. In fact, the reason we're seeing more women play video games is a result of video games becoming hugely popular, not the reason for it happening.

As for comics, sad to say, they're in a shitty place. But not because of women. In fact, only Marvel Comics' downfall is in any way related to women, and it didn't happen because of women, it happened because they somehow thought pandering to the worst parts of Tumblr is a viable strategy.
>>
>>54729834
>But not because of women. In fact, only Marvel Comics' downfall is in any way related to women, and it didn't happen because of women, it happened because they somehow thought pandering to the worst parts of Tumblr is a viable strategy
comics fandom always seemed to be the shittiest "nerd culture" even before the whole parade of inclusiveness. Reading comics isn't really a social activity and comics nerds only seem to care about being ass elitist as possible. The medium doesn't even have respected reviewers around it like film so it's just kinda every individual person saying my opinion is better than yours
>>
>>54730022
Eh, I think you're exaggerating. I mean, comic nerds can be grognards, but the same can be said of all nerd hobbies.

>The medium doesn't even have respected reviewers around it
Yeah, as if e.g. video games have. And don't start about video game journalism, everyone knows it's a fucking joke by now
>>
>>54730022
>The medium doesn't even have respected reviewers around
Yeah we do, we have Linkara
>>
>>54730111
Hahaha, that's a funny one anon
>>
>>54729834
I was responding to the idea that video games are in a shit place atm.
>>
>>54730022
overall Cons are cancer that needs to be burned down to the ground and rebuilt by people who cear about the hobby and not the social structure around it. Last time i went to a con i went right out becuse with 1 hour of the first pannel i went to i got spammed either by alt-right fagots or tumblar fagots. What is it with cons and drawing in the absolute worst people there are
>>
When I showed some very slight interest in it during 1st-2nd grade, my dad told me that it was a demonic game used to communicate with Satan.
>>
>>54723336
As a man who works in a female dominated field and my workplace is composed almost entirely of women old enough to be my mother, I have no idea why communities of the opposite sex would be a problem to people who aren't out to be pandered. Sure it might feel a bit weird and strange at first, but that's to be expected.
I have had almost no interaction with the MTG community, but the problems I hear from it stem from rotten eggs rather than the dominant gender
>>
>>54723096
What a fucking CHAMP
>>
>>54730111
You mean the filthy cock slut, HMMMMMMM?
>>
>>54730365
Because of how big of assholes and how desperet most nerd communieties are. It's a strange thing, but a group of perfectly normal and well adjusted people can go both full retard and extreamly pussy hungry the moment they enter a LGS, plus we have a lot of really not-well-adjusted people in the hobby so you have that on top of everything alse. This makes it so all the attention is focused on girl, both the positive and negative.
>>
>>54725852
The best part about that whole situation was that he was banned from the event because of it.

"We know our players are disgusting fatasses. Don't point it out."
>>
>>54730351
And that's why you're here?
>>
>>54730466

That's why I never got into MtG (because an hour long lecture in how Satan is trying to take my immortal soul was pretty scary for a child), but I eventually learned that my dad considered everything outside the bible to be demonic.
>>
>>54730512
So did he only consider MtG to be demonic, but not other tabletop games? Also, sad to hear you got to deal with that anon
>>
>>54730351
But that's true. My dad got into MtG, and now he's a pagan.
>>
>>54730533

He was okay with Pogs, which was why we went to the game shop in the first place. I didn't look around much at the other table top games because I was afraid of what would happen if I showed too much interest (the level of fire and brimstone in the lectures gave me night terrors until I was in about 8th grade). He started in again when Pokemon became a big thing, but at that point I was old enough to find ways to evade his notice and ignore the guilt of lying by omission in an incredibly religious family, like going over to a friend's house who kept my cards safe.
>>
>>54728990
Solve what? Solutions are for problems. What is the problem?
>>
File: IMG_7445.jpg (104KB, 826x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7445.jpg
104KB, 826x700px
>>54718336
>unironically using the word "toxic"
>>
>>54718336
I don't know what's more sexist, the male-dominated comment or you implying that women can't act like adults in public.
>>
Hearthstone isn't actually a game, its a game stimulator
>>
>>54718336
>Toxic community
This is the real barrier.
>>
>>54731267
are you one of thouse people who things that bbeg is a bad term?
>>
>>54731956
>BBEG
Ugh.
>>
>>54731956
"BBEG" is a toxic term
>>
File: E3B.gif (528KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
E3B.gif
528KB, 500x280px
>>54718336
>male dominated
>non-mobile
>competitive
Are you implying these things are problematic?

>toxic and male dominated
Am I being coaxed into responding to a reply-hoarder, or is it just my bias?
>>
>>54718210
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say MtG is too complicated compared to Hearthstone.

This is just an anecdote, but my FLGS runs both FNM and a Pokemon TCG night on thursday weekly. Out of 40+ people for FNM there's probably 3 women who play regularly. On Thursday there's like 10-15 people who come regularly to play Pokemon, and 6 of them are 20+ yrs-old women.

Pokemon is far less complicated than MtG, and also has cute pictures, all things that stereotypically appeal to women.

Maybe it's just a fluke, but with that in mind, I invite you to examine your own FLGS and see if the anecdote might have some weight.
>>
>>54723480
>Muh soggy knees
>Muh toxic masculinity
>>
>>54732044
Toxic is a BBEG term.
>>
>>54732133
the BBEG is toxic
>>
>>54729602
>we are litearlly living in the second golden age of vidiogames
I don't what really counts as a golden age, but we surely had a few.
I imagine the first one was with Atari and other TV games, until ET and a bunch of others rushed out, complete garbage games crashed it.
The second one was with nes and ps1, they basically revived console video games and was so big that even today we can still clearly see its effects.
Then steam came along and brought a whole new world to pc gaming, which I consider the third era.

Not him, but I believe that we are actually on the decline of this "third era" right now, with a lot of games being basically HD versions or sequels of sequels of older games, complete distrust in kickstarted projects, a lot of games being censored, and the death of Moore's Law.

Although it is just a generic statement, gaming is not dead in general, the mobage market is bigger than ever, and for some time, there was a nice increase in tabletop games.

>comics
I'm not very into comics myself, but from what I have read, it seems that the companies are trying to appease a new market(namely, sjw), but they mostly don't buy comics, so the comics are suffering a huge loss on sales. But it is quite a different perspective from gaming, I imagine, since comics market is dominated by 2 or 3 big companies instead of the vast sea of gaming companies.
>>
>>54732531
>games being censored
Hasn't that happened from time-to-time? I know that recent events have made localization liberties and changes to yet-to-be-released content more prone to garner controversy, but hasn't there been issues before then with games such as Dead or Alive?
I could go all day about the positives and negatives of both strict and liberal localization, but that would be really going off on a tangent.

>comics
The sad part is that the companies are going to interpret this as either "our readers are bigots" or "diversity is bad no matter how it's handled", not the fact that in their attempts to appeal to an untapped market they instead pandered to a rabid minority of progressives and drove away their other readers.
>>
>>54733167
>The sad part is that the companies are going to interpret this as either "our readers are bigots" or "diversity is bad no matter how it's handled"
Lol you're a psychic or something

Several months ago, when Marvel's corporate realized they're getting outsold by pretty much every DC book, they released a very passive aggressive statement along the lines of "welp, we tried making new female and minority heroes, but it seems the readers don't want that, oh well". Buncha fucking jokers
>>
>>54733167
>censoring
It always existed, but lately it has been happening a lot. Especially when it comes down to korea or china(a gaming industry that has been really strong in the last decade or so). On another note, there was also problems with twitch and youtube regarding gaming content. It also doesn't help that gaming media was stronger than ever, even if something small was changed, they will find a way to exaggerate it.
>>
File: 1461394620699.jpg (116KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1461394620699.jpg
116KB, 500x667px
>>
>>54727419
And those premade decks are as useless as a random assortment when UT comes to playing, a world champion playing one of those premade decks would get stomped by a retard who dropped a couple hundred dollars into playing.

Magic games should just devolve into adding up the total cost of the deck and giving the win to the higher number, there's no actual strategy involved. Just be a rich kid and you win
>>
File: 1500480795890.jpg (84KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500480795890.jpg
84KB, 640x480px
>>54733751
>>
>>54733751
I agree with Mtg having a high entry cost. Just buying the landbase costs a fucking lot. Especially since anyone who isn't used to card games can't see why anyone would ever pay more than a couple dollars for a piece of cardboard.

It also doesn't help that Wizards makes those "entry level stuff", but after they buy it and find other players, they will all say that the deck is complete shit, and a waste of money.
>>
>>54723200
My sister and cousin were interested on learning how to play mtg when we were at our first year in college since they often saw my friend and me playing it before class.
They went to my LGS to buy the Elspeth vs Kiora duel deck. I knew the deck was somehow imbalanced, but I had some cards in my collection to improve them a little. I couldn't go that day with them because I was on finals, but after that, they didn't want to know shit bout the game anymore. When I asked the owner a few days later what the fuck happened, he told me some fat guy asked them if they want to learn more stuff of the game, he asked the owner a couple of sample decks to play with (my sibling at that point knew a little how the mana system and spells worked). The owner said he was teaching them by playing against and his Modern UWR Control deck while my sister and cousin were using the sample decks. Later my sis told me the guy was trying to flirt with her and he was stinking as hell that day.
The game is not the problem, but the community.

Sister is now playing HS btw
>>
>>54734550
>Modern UWR Control
What a fucking jerk, but at least, he showed them their place in the world the kitchen
>>
>>54733446
The only thing that bothers me more than not being able to tell if this one has penis or not at a glance, is that I won't get the change for more profound methods of investigation.
>>
>>54734550
So the problem was he wasn't conventionally attractive (fat) and wasn't too hygienic. How sexist of him.
>>
>>54734656
Not him, but I'd never introduce someone to the game by facing me with a sample deck while I use a control deck.
>>
File: 1501997793273.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501997793273.gif
1MB, 500x500px
Every y no girl? thread is the fucking same.
Personal opinions and shaky sociology galore, not to speak of worthless anecdotes and retarded ideology.
Seriously, has anybody ever had her/his (teehee i'm inclusive) opinion changed by one of these threads or is it always: I know a girl that plays, nerds stink, toxic masculinity, I understand female psychology, rape culture, WHORES WHORES WHORES?
>>
>>54734656
No, the problem was that he completely stomped them without remorse.

While I admit I have played against a new person with a crappy deck with a decent deck of my own, I made sure to have it come down to the wire rather than just ruining it for them.
>>
>>54734656
>ugly smelly shitstain hits on you while you're trying to game
>hurr hurr sexism doesn't exist guis!

shouldn't you be on r9k?
>>
>>54734748
The fuck is your point? If you are tired of these threads, why don't you just filter them? I do it for pathfinder and I'm much happier for it.
>>
>>54734748
>has anybody ever had her/his (teehee i'm inclusive) opinion changed by one of these threads or is it always
/tg/ made me considerably more open and accepting for girls (male), though I couldn't attribute that to a single specific thread but rather the overall influence of the board.
>>
>>54734783
if he was a hot fit guy, they wouldn't mind him flirting with them a little
>>
>>54718336
>Toxic community
This is just codeword for "not infinitely tolerant and expects certain qualities, behavior, and standards from its members"
>>
>>54734810
>/tg/ made me considerably more open and accepting for girls (male)
Oh yeah, definitely. I blame /tg/ for my girl (male) fetish
>>
>>54734882
>expects certain qualities, behavior, and standards from its members
I wish
>>
>>54734656
People don't like to be hit on by people they don't like. Not being hygienical is disgusting. More news at 11.
>>
>>54734881
If he was a hot fit guy, then he might have had more tact, as well as been an actual decent person, but we can blame the halo effect and the mental health effects of exercise for that.
>>
>>54734935
hot people don't inherently have better manners, they just have easier time getting away with that particular shortcoming
>>
File: tg.png (150KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
tg.png
150KB, 700x615px
>>54734748
>Seriously, has anybody ever had her/his (teehee i'm inclusive) opinion changed by one of these threads
pic related is /tg and 4chan in general
>>
>>54734635
And this is how you repel girls and new players from the game.

>>54734656
Even I am bothered when shit like that happens. Not long ago, some disgusting guy started to came to my LGS smelling like shit and say men shouldnt complain otherwise we were just fags and sissy girls.
At that point I wanted to sash his fucking face on dog shit. Thanks god the owner banned him from the lgs and the guy was just shouting we were sissy girls while walking away.

But the guy should have played with a sample deck instead of stomping them with an expensive constructed modern CONTROL deck.
>>
>>54734881
>hot fit guy
It's a matter of preference, and most people don't prefer fat neckbeards who smells like shit.
I mean, if I went to a shop, and a landwhale who smelled like shit started flirtling me, I would never go back to that store.
>>
>>54734929
>People don't like to be hit on by people they don't like.
Oh so his crime was that he didn't fit their subjective attractiveness preferences? What a villain
>>
>>54734977
Yes, that's the halo effect.
>>
>>54718210
Most players I know are female, they just don't participate in the local mtg community because of bad experiences (mouthbreathing white knights, gross neckbeards hitting on them etc.)

We exclusively play kitchen table magic in our group of 14
>>
>>54734935
>they'd like if a hot fit guy flirted with them
>BUT WHAT IF THE HOT GUY DIDN'T FLIRT
dumb as expected
>>
>>54735025
Tact doesn't mean not flirt.
Tact means you don't play control against new players.
>>
>>54735001
>most people don't prefer fat neckbeards
even boogie2988 has a wife
>>
>hot guy
>play mtg

Pick one
Also, the only decent looking one was Kibler, and he's now married and playing Hearthstone.
>>
>>54735006
That sounds considerably more boring that nazi weird science secret tech that turn people into human battleships.
>>
Let's be honest, if the guy had looked like this(but with a shirt on) they'd have giggled off his stomping of them and would be still playing to this day
>>
>>54735004
The crime was him not having any sense and started flirting on them. There would be no problem if he didn't start flirting on them while being their fucking guide in that store.

>>54735058
Most is they keyword.
>>
>>54734882
>girls just don't want to play my game because they're too entitled

>not because of the smelly, overweight guys with no social skills and borderline pornographic card sleeves

Seriously, dude, what world do you live in? Half the problem with gaming communities is that they don't generally expect certain qualities, behaviors or standards from their members. The inclusiveness that appeals to so many people (Ie, "We both play this game, so we're instantly friends") is also what welcomes the socially ignorant and unhygienic while never holding them accountable for being creeps for as long as they keeping spending money on whatever ovepriced children's game they play.

Girls don't want to play MtG because a) it doesn't appeal to them, and b) LGS's are generally full of a mix of either very cliquey nerds or uncomfortable weirdos that make the experience uncomfortable for girls. That's why you really only see girls playing these things with their boyfriends. And before you say it's just that girls aren't tolerant enough, no, it's because those socially awkward weirdos act 10x more awkward and creepy around girls than dudes.
>>
>>54735075
not if he still didn't know about hygiene, you jaded lardmancer.
>>
>>54735075
truth
>>
>>54735075
Halo effect

>>54735068
Boring but a foundation of functional psychology.
People are horrible and fascinating.
>>
>>54735075
Being hot makes the experience better, even if people don't want to admit it. I would go much more to stores if everyone there was hot and beautiful.
>>
Guys, stop feeding the obvious trolls, will ya

>>54735115
>and borderline pornographic card sleeves
Oh, I wondered when we would get one of you tiddy hating puritards here.

Ironically, agree with your post otherwise.
>>
>>54735075
>scars on his body
>still stinks
>prefers to stomp my cousin and me with his overpriced cardboard without explaining shit

no thanks
>>
>>54735119
They'd have rationalized it as him being "bohemian" and "artsy" or something
>>
>>54735174
>>54735175
>>
>>54735175
I sincerely hope you don't actually believe that.
>>
File: YOIed.jpg (476KB, 992x821px) Image search: [Google]
YOIed.jpg
476KB, 992x821px
>>54734748
I read to see other peoples perception of issues and think about it.
No one gets an opinion from a vacuum, usually the things we think about how the world works is based on experience, which in the case of every human is limited and subjective.
Is not wrong, is not right either, but is not something that just happens, people are not idiots, no matter how much you want to think that to justify feeling derisively smug about the rest of the population, they have very logical reasons from their point of view to think the way they do, from the most obnoxious feminazy to the more sad and pathetic /pol/ak.

Also, I want to know if you stop to read this post for the extremely unrelated bait pic.
>>
>>54735205
I have an older sister, she's dated some losers and dipshits in her time but they were hot so it was cool
>>
>>54735207
Not that anon, but I agree with you wholeheartedly, and yes. I did stop reading to look at your bait pic.
>>
My LGS has several grils that play:
>two both play because their nerdy boyfriends do, they also use their bfs decks
>one is married to a player and only shows up when he drags her out to play his decks as well, always going on about "My Jon" in a scratchy annoying voice
>middle aged dyke looking lady who plays unfinished unsleeved decks and is bad at magic
>little skid 18 yr old who is there for attention. Constantly talks about cringy things like anime and getting raped as a teenager or some shit

The first two arent actually that bad to interact with other than the fact they suck at the game. The others are cancer.
>>
File: Hot-Jason-Momoa-Pictures.jpg (144KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hot-Jason-Momoa-Pictures.jpg
144KB, 1024x1024px
Let's not lie to ourselves, if the guys at the LGS behaved exactly the same but looked like various shades of Jason Momoa there'd be tons of girls showing up for FNM
>>
>>54735324
Anyone from a rugby club can tell you that's not correct
>Why aren't more women playing rugby?
>>
>>54735225
I can't tell if I'm being baited, but know that I pity you if you think that statement counts for anything.
>>
>>54723336
Its not inherently, but a primarily male community where most of them dont know how to interact with women isnt gonna be that high on their priorities.
>>
>>54735352
You don't need to play rugby to hand with rugby players. I mean cheerleading is a thing.
>>
holy the amount of angry and unwashed fatties here that think women wouldn't mind the cringe that comes with this hobby is mind bottling.

you're ugly on the inside you dipshits, that's the fucking problem. That and you clear the cardshop like pumba at a watering hole.
>>
>>54735352
You don't meet hot male rugby players by playing female rugby you idiot.
>>
>>54735352
They still show up to hang out with them after practice, of even during practice they pal around with each other
>>
>>54735358
Oh sure my sister's life doesn't fit your narrative so it doesn't count, right?
>>
>>54735397
Side-by-side with all the apologism and whiteknighting
>>
File: 20130527.gif (46KB, 612x755px) Image search: [Google]
20130527.gif
46KB, 612x755px
>>54735467
This entire thread, but especially you
>>
File: Handshake man.png (128KB, 320x298px) Image search: [Google]
Handshake man.png
128KB, 320x298px
Anyone saying that looks doesn't matter is lying. It is proven that having a good appearance drastically increases your first impression, and thus, makes people more acceptable of you or what you do. But it's also not everything.

Of course that if you keep a bad attitude, chances are that they would leave, but it depends on how much you are a dipshit to how attractive you are.
>>
>>54735535
Halo effect.

Last one, I promise.
>>
File: 1501634415277.jpg (51KB, 736x602px) Image search: [Google]
1501634415277.jpg
51KB, 736x602px
Magic probably has more girls playing it than any other tabletop game. It also fucking sucks, but that's unrelated.
>>54728011
How did you end up on this website?
>>
>>54735801
By total number, possibly.
By percentage of the players, hardly - there's Malifaux and various WoD derivatives.
>>
>>54735565
>halo effect
That's what I said in a more specific way. Being clean and making a good impression by looking good will make people think you are a better person overrall, because the chances ARE that you are a better person overrall.

Although I don't agree much on halo effect because when you apply it on a person, it makes people think that a person is not just on huge complex being with all its natures and areas intertwined. A person being smart and being healthy for example are not completely unrelated.
>>
>>54735535
I think that people who go on about the
>Step 1: Be attractive
bullshit don't realize that almost anyone can be attractive. Barring severe physical deformity, absolutely anyone can be of at least average to above average attractiveness. They just either don't know or don't want to work at it.

Nobody stays thin and fit without adopting some sort of workout regiment.
Nobody loses weight by sitting down in front of a computer next to a cheese pizza.
Nobody looks good while wearing clothes that don't fit, or without having a professional cut their hair, or without shaving/trimming their beard at least three times a week.
Nobody smells nice without bathing daily and only wearing clean clothes.

The difference between them and the attractive guy they see walking across the street is that he cares enough about being attractive to work at it, while the "uglies" just use their appearance as an excuse for their laziness.

It is true that some people have a worse time of it than others. Can't change genetics or bone structure. Some people need to bathe twice a day just to smell decent. Some people are naturally covered in body hair. But soap exists. Razors exist. Use them dammit!

Now, if they are content in their life, that's fine. Their life, their body, their right. But I don't want to hear them cry about how life isn't fair or that they'll be forever alone because God fucked them on step 1. No. They fucked themselves on step 1 because they're too lazy to actually do something about it.
>>
>>54723605
YGO also has a much lower resale market, making it easier to enter. A guy I know used to play competitive got a job at target just for the discount on the cards. Same with Pokemon, it's much easier and cheaper to get your hands on competitive cards in those formats.
>>
>>54718210
Am girl, played for a while. I miss the game sometimes because I did enjoy casual bullshit with stupid interactions, but playing "for real" was expensive and the people in the local scene just weren't people I enjoyed hanging out with.

That and, on a much more minor note, every time Wizards tries to tell a story in this universe it's just really dumb. Considering I started during RtR, that is an extremely low bar. They're better at setting up interesting backgrounds than they are at making me give a shit about the planeswalkers.

Can't speak for other women, but for me? I would rather put the cash into nice hardcovers and get the ccg fix from Hearthstone for free.
>>
>>54735966
One point to put things in context, competitive M:tG isn't meant to be played because you enjoy the company of the other players, but rather because you enjoy crushing them. If you wanna be nice don't go pro. And if you wanna go pro, be ready to sink people on a technicality if that's what it takes to win.
>>
>>54735908
Hell, being fat isn't even a thing that will keep you from being cute. How you treat other people is important, and having a good personality can make up for any of your perceived physical faults.

If you think you have a great personality and everyone is just shallow, here's a hint: You actually don't have a great personality.
>>
My sister and I used to play Magic, but since everyone became a tryhard on FNMs, we stopped assisting.
We still buy some MtG products and play Commander from time to time, but only on a friend's house or between us. She has her RW "Angel" tribal deck and I have my Jund dragon deck.
>>
>>54736133
>RW Angel deck
who's her commander? Gisela?
>>
>>54735874
>Although I don't agree much on halo effect because when you apply it on a person, it makes people think that a person is not just on huge complex being with all its natures and areas intertwined. A person being smart and being healthy for example are not completely unrelated.
I'm not 100% what you mean. Being intelligent/healthy is included in attractiveness.
It's also good to note that people being treated well makes them more likely to treat others well, which means they are more likely to be considered attractive. It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>54736049
Eh, I'd say "meant to be played" is putting a little more authority on an opinion than is warranted here, but point. It's why I didn't stick. Some of my friends did, but not me.

Ultimately, when I'm playing a game I'm doing it because it's a fun way to hang out with my friends/make new friends and know them a little better. The kitchen table crap we played starting out was the most fun, and you kinda got to see another side to people. You could pick up things about somebody's personality based on what kinds of card interactions they liked, how they'd spend their resources, how they'd play table politics, who played aggressive, etc.

I suppose I fit into that "lol girls don't play for the GAME they play to be SOCIAL" stereotype, but I honestly fail to see how that's always a bad thing. I had some fun for a while and have some good war stories, but I valued my other hobbies more.
>>
File: 1458435425356.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458435425356.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>men are strong enough to play the game despite the smelly fat autists they have to deal with
>women are weak and will avoid the game because of smelly fat autists

Seems a lot the women need to git gud and deal with it like the men do.
>>
>>54735283

>Constantly talks about cringy things like anime and getting raped as a teenager or some shit

w-what
>>
>>54736133
I know how you feel. I used to play with 2 other friends, but one of them became a tryhard, and started spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a couple cards that would make his deck a bit faster. The other guy couldn't/didn't want to keep up and gave up on the game, and I was left still buying cards because I'm too much of a collector to stop.
>>
>>54736412
fat smelly autists don't usually gather around and try to touch men
>>
>>54736659
I would certainly not return to a store full of smelly fat neckbeards trying to hit on me.
>>
>>54733446
what general is that? Looks mono black but I can't identify the art. Looks like Lim Dul, Necromancer, not sure though. I assume edh because no permanents yet, but one card flipped up. Looks like 100 sleeved in black ultrapros
>>
>>54736090
I have a shitty personality and a horribly ugly face. I don't seem to lose weight even with regular exercise and cutting out all booze , sugary drinks, and much of the carbs.

Going to step up my exercise to include a lot more biking. I don't think it will help, but I can't just resign myself to doing nothing about it like I was doing for years and years until I decided it was time for a change about a year ago

I have no friends and have never known intimacy. Whenever I talk to anyone about anything I get this immediate sense that they are not at all interested in what I am saying and they would prefer if I shut up and leave them alone. I don't think they are shallow or anything, more that I am just a bother to everyone. They live and do interesting things. I merely exist.
>>
>>54735397
Good. Fucking normies and roasties need to stay the fuck out. They own the rest of the world already.
>>
File: 1435715416326.png (192KB, 300x343px) Image search: [Google]
1435715416326.png
192KB, 300x343px
>>54736793
>They live and do interesting things. I merely exist
too close
>>
>>54736809
Maybe the problem is not them but you
>>
>>54736478
Some people really need to have their tragedies validated.
>>
>>54736793
The shitty personality you can fix. Be nice to people. Smile always. Make pleasant conversation. If someone asks you a question, engage them. Remember to smile. When talking to people ask questions and wait for responses. When you find yourself at an event with someone, ask what they make of what's going on. Always introduce yourself to people you don't know and offer a handshake. Smile often. When someone tries to politely excuse themselves from a conversation, let them. You will not become friends with everyone. If someone is annoying you, politely excuse yourself from the conversation. Smiling always helps. Don't interrupt people, let them finish their sentences. Ask people if they want to play a game. Don't be offended if they turn you down. Accept games from people who ask for them when you can. Don't worry if you can't play immediately, they should understand. Don't forget to smile.

No, seriously, smile motherfucker,
it's the single easiest, most important thing you can do to make yourself more approachable.
>>
>>54718210
Too much thinking involved.
>>
>>54737313
That doesn't help people whose smile could creep out serial molesters
>>
>>54737313
Normies won't be interested in stuff I'm interested in, so I'd have nothing to talk about with them.
>>
File: 1500909330792.jpg (1MB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1500909330792.jpg
1MB, 2400x1800px
>all these wannabe advice
>>
>>54736778
I think that's a token.
>>
>>54733751
>Just be a rich kid and you'll win
Sadly this
>>
toxic masculinity, sexism, and rape culture
>>
File: 1425068160050.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1425068160050.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
There are two girls in the group i play in.

Who barely know how to play. I took one of them out to dinner and drinks last night.
It was a bust.
>>
>>54736659
>Implying
I've had at least 3 gay guys grab my ass while playing 40k.
>>
>>54737354

(you)
>>
>>54737611
Either don't wear low cut skinny jeans or don't whine about the consequences.
>>
>>54737611
Have you tried wearing a spiked codpiece or flypaper underwear?
>>
>>54737611
Don't wear cute girly skirts to your LCS anon
>>
>>54737611
were they dark angel players?
>>
>>54737313
>easiest
Depends, when I was trying to recover from being an r9k-browsing NEET I had to invest a surprising amount of effort into learning how to smile. If you haven't worked it out subconsciously like most people do, it's a lot trickier than you might think.
>>
>>54737638
>>54737732
I don't give a shit. It's slightly gross, but it isn't something I'm going to bitch about. Then again I'm kind of jaded. People with no social skills are oddly fixated on my ass, and it isn't limited to men.
>>54737779
That would be lewd anon. This is a christian board
>>54737821
Hilariously no. One ultramarines player.
>>
>>54718315
>implying all girls don't play green
>>
File: 1468285214091.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468285214091.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>54718210
one can only wonder
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 200x285px
>>54737589
yep found it
>>
>>54737526
Horseshit. That's horseshit and you know it. Don't make excuses.

If you don't want to talk about your hobbies, then talk about their hobbies instead. Most people will want to hear about your's in turn. The trick is to keep it short and simple. No jargon, very few details. The conversation should look something like

>So, what do you like to do for fun?
I'm into reading and television, I guess
>Oh, that's cool, who's your favorite author / what's your favorite book?
It's X, because....
So, anyway, how about you, what do you do for fun
>Board games and card games mostly
Really? That's interesting. What do you play?
>I play D&D with a group for friends on Sundays and Magic the Gathering on Fridays
D&D is what they play in Big Bang Theory, right?
>Yeah
It always seemed kinda neat to me. What's Magic the Gathering?
>It's a card game where the cards are spells that you use to kill your opponent
Oh, that sounds fun.
>Yeah, I like it. Anyway...

And then change the subject. People are interested in each other, but nobody likes listening to someone gush about their hobbies for what always feels like hours on end. How much football talk are you willing to listen to? Keep discussions about your hobbies as long as discussions you'd want to hear about football. If someone doesn't ask for a clarification, don't give one, they either already know or aren't interested. When talking to normies about nerd culture, BBT will be brought up. They are not doing this to annoy you. Not only do normies love BBT, normies think we love BBT. Do not fault them for their naivety. If you are asked if you like BBT, a simple "no," or "not really," will suffice. If asked why, the only correct answer is "it just didn't appeal to me."
>>
>>54736090
seconding this. I swear you can tell if a person is a bitter shitbag or not just by looking at their face. There's certain frown lines and brow scrunching that becomes permanent and makes you physically ugly when you have an ugly personality.
>>
>>54738233
>So, what do you like to do for fun?
I like to watch movies
>Oh, that's cool, what's your favorite movie?
It's X. Have you seen it?
>No.
Oh.
>Um, is it good?
Yeah, you should see it.
>Thanks for the advice!
>(awkward pause)
>So um... here's what I do for fun...
Really? That's (yawn) interesting.
>(awkward pause)

Fix'd for reality
>>
>>54737526
this is the faggiest fucking deflection imaginable. You should just write
>nah, that sounds too hard
next time
>>
>>54738285
>Being this level of inept
You deserve everything you get
>>
>>54738265
Yeah, like dark skin for example, amirite?
>>
>>54718420
I get that a lot at FNM, and it happens enough that I'm pretty sure it's intentional misrepresenting the rules.

I remember the first time I encountered it, some regulars were circled around the table me and my opponent were seated at, and he was trying to claim Circle of Protection: White could be used on his creatures, and that it protected white creatures from damage rather than protected from damage against white creatures. Every time another instance of a similar rules debate would happen, his buddies would agree with him and I'd have to call a judge over who would reluctantly get up, listen to the whole story, and make a ruling before disappearing again. I finished the match and left.
>>
>>54738294
>>54738313
>i can't do any better, but i want to sound cool
>>
>>54738285
Only because you don't know not to bring up your own hobbies yourself. It's their favorite movie, ask them about it for crying out loud!

If you aren't good at talking then try to move the conversations in a way that keeps the other person doing most of the talking! Jesus, this is not hard, people. You consider yourselves intelligent and can't figure out how to talk like a regular person? Tyrone the burger flipper can hold a conversation, and he smoked his way right out of high school. What's your excuse?
>>
File: Projecting.jpg (29KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
Projecting.jpg
29KB, 490x333px
>>54738329
>>
>>54738353
>If you aren't good at talking then try to move the conversations in a way that keeps the other person doing most of the talking!
Doesn't work if the other person expects you to be doing the talking
>>
>>54738517
Then you sit in awkward silence.
Play more dating sims or something, you mongloids.
>>
>>54738233
>And then change the subject.
To what? My other hobbies are also boring to normies.
>>
>>54738565
Weather. The last good place you went to eat nearby. The last terrible movie/book/media thing you saw/read.
>>
>>54738541
>Play more dating sims or something, you mongloids.
Is that how you became such a hot playboy stud?
>>
>>54738637
No, but it is a good way to learn some basic conversation skills.
>>
>>54738565
Maybe let them talk about them for a change, you are not the only topic available.
Comment on the things they said, talk about neutral topics like work.
Or go nostalgiafagging for a while, that never fails.
>"The 90's were so much better"
>>
>>54734049
They can't find a way around it.
If they make those decks good and cheap, then veteran players will race for them and tear apart for the good cards since they'll be cheaper than singles.
If they are properly priced, then new players wouldn't want them. You can't make good and cheap decks for new players.
>>
>>54738761
>since they'll be cheaper than singles
But then it would even out if the difference isn't too big. They already have a lot of products that have a good profit from opening and selling singles, and they are still on the shelves for anyone to buy.

>can't make good and cheap decks for new players
The deck itself doesn't need to be strong, it just needs at least the face card to be good, like $10 good. A new player chooses their first deck by the cover card, and its always disappointing that none of what you bought is usable at all, you feel cheated. You need to give the new player a starting point, and his starting point should be the cover card of the deck.

Another thing they need to do is heavily reduce the cost of the lands. But not in one go, otherwise they would kill the secondary market.

One thing that they were doing right that they will stop is the masterpiece series, those helped to tank the price of the cards, Wizards said that people didn't like them, but actually people just hated how ugly they were getting, and some of the masterpieces aren't exactly masterpieces. Another problem that they noted is that they ran out of masterpieces too soon, but that's because they printed too many different masterpieces per set, a good 10 cards per set were more than enough(a cycle of reprints and a cycle of cards from the set).
>>
>>54736359
Of coirse people don't like the ones who are there for the social. If Magic could've been replaced with anything else and you'd still enjoy things as much you're not as interesting to play with than a player that is doing it because they love the game, male or female.
>>
Women are casual sheep
Blizzard is a casual sheep company who is only in the position they are in because of shit eaters keep throwing money at then ( there are seriously people who pay for WoW membership and expansion fee AND an additional cash shop is okay. Fucking retards )
Combine female dilettantism and blizzard being an extremely popular casual company and it's a no brainer.
>>
>>54737905
>learning how to smile

No one has to learn how to smile you're just being dramatic. At most you had to remind yourself not to scowl like a rapist.
>>
>>54738051
>why don't girls like playing games with smelly, unkempt autists?
>posts picture of guy who got banned for making fun of smelly, unkempt autists
>>
>>54739553
Most people don't smile by default. People who smile gives a better impression and are more approachable, yet you never know when someone is looking at you, so smiling by default is something people should get used to if they want to be more sociable.
>>
>>54736231
No, its tht angel from Conspiracy. Her deck is basically FtV:Angel/Avacyn Restored/Innistrad angels and eficient creatures + tutors + some mana rocks, removal and stuff that let you draw cards.
>>
>>54718210
>How come Magic the Gathering isn't all that popular with girls?
it's harder to camwhore magic cards on twitch.
>>
File: pict-copyright (1).gif (1KB, 508x700px) Image search: [Google]
pict-copyright (1).gif
1KB, 508x700px
When I was a kid, I try to teach my sister to play magic.
She took alot of time to teach her the concept of tapping lands, and then she just tap and threw stuff on the board at random
>>
>>54739553
Gee anon, thanks for knowing me and my past better than I do. Maybe next you can tell me where I left the key to my post box.

Believe it or not, if you don't do something regularly for years, you become less capable of doing it. For example, smiling in a way that doesn't look forced and unnatural.
>>
>>54723871
>females mock men who try to get into nursing
>blame the problem on traditional notions of masculinity held by men

I'm not following their train of thought
>>
>>54728459
To be fair, guys talk over each other in MtG. Everyone is trying to yell the loudest for their rules lawyering.
>>
what i find funny about the concept of normies to nerds (including people in this thread) is that YOU guys are actually the normies to regular cool folk. like most people who are good looking and have a good social life arent these basic bitches who aren't going to be on your level. i know loads of people who are into games but aren't gross weird dudes. you fuck yourself up by letting these hobbies define you
>>
>>54742532
Women can't be intolerant in any way. If some are, they were brainwashed by evil men or something
>>
>>54739708
There's a difference between "learn how to smile" and "learn to smile"
>>
>>54741524
>; ; I didn't smile for so long I had to LEARN how to do the involuntary reaction that babies and blind people who've literally never seen a smile do every time they are happy

You're being dramatic
>>
>>54718210
Magic's community is overwhelmingly self-righteous manchildren with no sense of self-awareness, who think that their game of choice is the be-all-and-end-all of card-based entertainment.
>>
>>54723871
>where as in magic interaction with your opponent is almost guaranteed

Have you played Modern or Standard in the last few years? Interaction is optional
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.