[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /tg/, I'm working on a setting where the players power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1534.jpg (48KB, 197x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1534.jpg
48KB, 197x255px
sup /tg/, I'm working on a setting where the players power will be derived entirely from their equipment and magic items, and I was thinking of just running Strike! and just using the kits as different equipment loadouts while sitting down with the players to let them fluff their kit out a little to better flesh out their character. does this sound like an alright campaign idea, and would there be a better system to do it in?
>>
>>54716206
Sounds good, as long as you don't get too anal about it, and when shit happens, like some of equipment gets broken, neither you nor the players fuss over it too much.

What sort of setting? Going for something XCOM inspired?
>>
>>54716347
I dunno if you ever played Blue Dragon, solid game though, but something like that sort of feel. basically, regular power level humans/humanoids who have an extraordinary "companion", or in this case gimmicky armor/weapons/magic items, that let them be adventurers and shit. It'll probably be a pretty lighthearted campaign, more focused on letting the players feel badass
>>
>>54716430
That the Toriyama one?

Sounds cool. A pity the monster hunter/equipment guide had not came out for the game yet, I bet you could make good use of that stuff.

If your players are on board, I think Strike! is a great game for simple/fun adventuring with some nice fights. Needs some extra work on the player/GM side to make sure everything makes some sort of sense internally (the curse of the mallable fluff/self defined skill lists/tricks), but as long as you are willing to do that, it's smooth sailing from there.
>>
>>54716521
yeah, I've yet to get a good player group yet but I figure having a well designed campaign/slight rules change ready to go probably will help draw some people in. I'm thinking of dividing player stats between the actual human wielding the stuff, which would be your actual intelligence based stuff, and having the weapons and such have stats as well that can be added to the player skills for some checks, like adding a player's weapon's Skill stat to their charisma when trying to persuade a village elder to pay them more ("look how good we are at this, surely we deserve more money") this is to help further cement people in the party roles they tried to go for, since more sneaky weapons would have a higher Skill to use, thus giving sneaky characters better chances at being persuasive and so forth
>>
>>54716724
Strike! doesn't usually use skills in that way (the general assumption is that you either have a skill trained or not, no middle ground), but you could tweak it.

If you use the 2d6 variant, you can have it so you have skills and stats, and each relevant one adds +1 to the roll.
>>
>>54716770
I have thought about using a rudimentary homemade attribute system, where there are 8 stats you fill in on character creation, 4 belonging to the player and 4 to the player's weapon, and basically you can roll using any of the 4 weapon stats as a modifier in combat, depending on the situation and the weapon you built, and in conversation/non combat being able to roll any of the 4 human attribute modifiers depending on the situation. I know that sounds very bare bones but I'm not much a crunch fan as is, nor am I really comfortable yet with balancing super complex feat systems and all that stuff, does the idea seem like it would work okay?
>>
>>54716949
oh yeah, I'm at work currently by the way, so if this thread is still up/not dead when I get off I can give a way better explanation of what sorts of mechanics I'm trying to use here, like how leveling would work and all that good shit
>>
>>54716949
It could work, but Strike! is going even simpler, using basically no modifiers for its rolls at all, preferring instead to modify the tables you roll on. Using modifiers instead could be hard to convert, especially if you want numbers higher than +1 or 2. It could work, but at that point you will need to math stuff out beforehand, and probably change the dice system.

I'm also working on something similar, so I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about this stuff.

>>54716997
That's cool, I1m going to sleep in a few hours anyway. Hope the thread keeps getting bumped.

If not, /4eg/ is a good place for Strike! discussion, and it usually hits the bump limit, so link this thread there.
>>
okay, so there's no classes as far as putting your character into a specific kit, but rather the weapon that you decide to create for your character will sort of decide what role you play in combat and out of it. upon character creation, players pick one attribute from the Wielder list and one attribute from the Weapon list, of which there are 4 of both for a total of 8 attributes:

>Wielder: these dictate how you interact with your world around you, and they're all C words because I think it's fun, sue me.
Cruel: Sneaky and self centered, you can be hard to trust and even harder to kill. Taking this as your focus means you view the world, and combat, as finding the easiest way to watch your back, meaning you're better suited for hit and run or downright dirty fighting. Excludes all Protection based weapons and favors Skill weapons.
Clever: Inquisitive and inwardly focused, you're never at a loss for wanting to know everything. If you Focus on Clever, expect combat to be about strategy and using your head to make up for what you lack in body. Excludes all Strength weapons and favors Magic weapons.
Charm: You've never met a stranger, and you can do more with words than most can do with armies. Focusing on Charm means you tend to avoid combat where possible, but while in combat you tend to focus on making sure everyone stays in one piece. Excludes all Skill weapons and favors Protection weapons.
Courage: Life was made to be lived, and you refuse to let silly things like danger and death stand in the way of that. People tend to gravitate towards your confidence and willingness to rush headlong into battle. Excludes Magic weapons and favors Strength weapons.
>>
>>54718360
(cont.)
Weapon: What you decide to fight with says a lot about a person
Strength: Damage is king, and these weapons forgo special abilities and flair for as much possible damage output as possible.
Skill: One well placed strike can do more than 1,000 untrained blows, and while these weapons may not put out a ton of raw power, they excel in disabling and disabling opponents.
Magic: Fuck swords, let's shoot fireballs. These weapons are fairly plain and weak at first, but upon investment they can develop truly devastating powers and abilities.
Protection: Someone has to make sure the more squishy players actually live through combat, and these weapons focus on preventing/healing damage rather than
dishing it out.

Strength beats Protection which beats Skill which beats Magic which beats Strength, and every enemy and NPC have a Wielder and Weapon focus.
>>
>>54718387
You may want to add a "Support" category of weapons, or maybe split magic into white/black to align better with Strike's Roles.
>>
>>54718454
honestly I can't really overexaggerate the roughness of my idea at this point, I thought about having the Focus mechanic tie into a growth percentage for the attributes. basically its a 0% inflation to increase your focus skills, so only 1 point per 1 point you want to increase it (that's just some numbers, I have no idea how the actual mechanical numbers will work out), and each non focused attribute grows at half rate, so 2 points per 1 point increase, and for the excluded stat it takes 4 per 1 point increase, if that makes sense, but I still haven't worked out the actual leveling system yet
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.