[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been invited to a Savage Worlds game (and it seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg (105KB, 499x691px) Image search: [Google]
SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg
105KB, 499x691px
So I've been invited to a Savage Worlds game (and it seems so far using basic rules only if I understood correctly) but the GM went away for 2 weeks for holidays and is unreachable. I know shit about the system and rules but for depending on different dice for stats and skills.

Now my questions, using the basic rules, what can I make? how CUHRAZY! can a character be? can you RULES OF NATURE!?

Setting is medieval fantasy. Imagine (not that I'm going to) I want to make Not!Spider-man, is it possible? Or is the system low fantasy with martials swinging sticks more or less ok and casters spending all their PMs to cast a fire arrow?
>>
>>54713323
Starting out characters are going to be your typical sort of pulp character in power, so they'll have a couple of neat tricks but you wont be a god by any stretch of the imagination.

The Not!Spider-man is semi-possible with the superpowers arcane background.
>>
>>54713801
The game has been running for a couple of months, dunno how noobs characters are. Does this game have levels?
>>
>>54713837
It does, but the levels are more like sidegrades than in D&D. A novice character won't be able to do *everything* a high-level char can, but it can pick one thing and do that pretty well.

Spellcasting is better at support than offense. Combat is based on overcoming thresholds, not chipping down hp, so a spell that boosts your buddy's attack from good to excellent will be more effective than casting another magic missile at the darkness.

Melee combat is heavily influenced by gang up bonuses, so pick a team target and start the rape train.
>>
>>54713837
Sort of, but it's not like D&D where you get good at everything at once. You get advances, which you can use to get new edges, raise ability scores, improve skills, or get new skills and each advance only does one of these. Beyond this you have ranks, which mainly function for satisfying the prerequisites of edges and powers.
>>
If it isn't clear, I mean the game has been running for a time, and the GM invited me to play but won't enter till he returns back from vacations. I don't even met the resto of the players, only the GM.

Is martial artist (fists and kicks) doable in this system? is it competent or will I suck if I go that path? can you attempt to go wuxia with this system?
>>
>>54714281
>Spellcasting is better at support than offense.

I'd like to mention that whatever the equivalent of magic missile is (I don't remember, sorry) is fucking ridiculous in a fantasy setting that doesn't have guns. It deals more damage than heavy crossbows and is variable. It's a monster. One player tried to make a utility caster who picked it up "just in case" and then she ended up not using anything else because it kept oneshotting everything.
>>
>>54714589
>Is martial artist (fists and kicks) doable in this system?

Yes. Technically, if you spend the build resources on it, it is the strongest melee combat style, because you can keep stacking your unarmed damage up.

> is it competent or will I suck if I go that path?

It costs a lot of resources, if you go all-in on it your character will be very one dimensional. But, as said, mucho damage

> can you attempt to go wuxia with this system?

Anyone can pick up an "arcane background" (although it's called that, they don't have to be magical; "super science" is an arcane background as well, for example) with a trpping that fits and you are good to go.
>>
>>54714654
The Bolt power, which is pretty powerful in a fantasy game, is balanced by the fact that to get it to do anything more than just a flat 2d6 damage requires investing 4 additional power points in it, which means a starting character (with the superpowers arcane background, which has a bunch of limitations) can get four uses out of it before requiring 5 hours to cast it once more.
>>
>>54714732
>The Bolt power, which is pretty powerful in a fantasy game

Does bolt scale if the tech level changes? Or does it quickly become less useful as ranged weapons get better?
>>
>>54714767
No it does not. I personally think Savage Worlds functions best in fantasy to early modern periods because it has the problem many generic systems have where high tech gear causes the power to creep towards the gear side of things. That said, there are settings like Savage Rifts that attempt to address this by adding new powers meant to compete with the more advanced gear, but I can't say if they succeed.
>>
>>54714801

>No it does not. I personally think Savage Worlds functions best in fantasy to early modern periods because it has the problem many generic systems have where high tech gear causes the power to creep towards the gear side of things.

Yeah, that was what I ran into with playing GURPS in a science-fantasy setting once. Hmm...I could spent a metric ass of points being able to shoot a magic laser on par with a laser pistol for my mage...or I could just buy a gun for basically nothing.
>>
>>54714838
>>54714801
MAybe add equipment that boosts magic?
>>
>>54714705
If I want to deal the same damage as I say, a normal 1hd sword, will I have to spend many resources? is it cost efficient to go into that path? sure, you say that if I spend everything on it I will outdamage people, but will I be able to do ther stuff or do I basically become a blind, deaf, dumb glass cannon punch man?
>>
>>54714838
Yeah. The only game I've ever seen without this problem is Mutants and Masterminds, and that's because they make gear part of the points framework (so high tech characters will invest more points in gear).
>>
>>54714589
>can you attempt to go wuxia with this system?
Looking over the powers list, there's a bunch of options with self or touch range that would fit right in to the ancient Chinese master touching someone's chi points.
>>
>>54714870
>sure, you say that if I spend everything on it I will outdamage people, but will I be able to do ther stuff or do I basically become a blind, deaf, dumb glass cannon punch man?

It's been a while I checked martial arts and SW in general. If you just want to be baseline "as good as sword guy", that'll put you I think 2 edges behind, which is hefty, but not insurmountable. And it has the advantage of being "armed unarmed" which actually does matter in SW.
>>
Martial arts in SW is like Martial arts in SW (kek) SAGA, it can become crazy powerful, but it takes lots and lots of feats.
>>
Most "broken" and fun SW character I ever found: Noble + Connections + Attractive + Very Attractive + Charismatic, any other social edges and all the social skills, and just enough other stuff not to instantly die in a fight (you will still suck in a fight, but will also have no problem finding bodyguards!) For flaws I like Overconfident and (other noble) enemies.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.