[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Roman Empire at its height vs one M1 Abrams tank with infinite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 50

File: 1200px-Abrams-transparent.png (547KB, 1200x538px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Abrams-transparent.png
547KB, 1200x538px
The Roman Empire at its height vs one M1 Abrams tank with infinite fuel and ammunition.
>>
>>54702655
If the tank hasn't got a crew, I'd go with the Romans.
>>
File: tank.jpg (1MB, 4668x2932px) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
1MB, 4668x2932px
>>54702655
The tank. The Roman Empire has literally nothing that can damage it. The only hope they have is that their corpses will clog up the treads, and even then they merely stopped it, they still have no way of actually damaging the thing.
>>
File: 1481782383315 (1).png (383KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
1481782383315 (1).png
383KB, 660x371px
>>54702655
Not Fair.
utterly
do you have any idea how much a jump 1970's tech was from 1942?
how about 1800 from 1400?

Romans were ahead of their time, but i'm only talking 1200 ahead of their time at the most.
they still shat in the streets for the most part!

even just banging away with Cannister and HE rounds, that M1 is gonna sweep the empire in 17 days.
no Roman weapon can penetrate it.
it moves to fast for Roman artie.
treads do bad things to troop formations.

it could be a T-55 or a Leopard 1 and the effect would still stand.
>>
>>54702765
they could trick it into driving into a pit fall or something
>>
>>54702674
good one
>>
>>54702655
theyll lure it into a city and dig a giant trench trapping it inside.
>>
File: rome.png (530KB, 718x862px) Image search: [Google]
rome.png
530KB, 718x862px
>>54702824
The tank would remain intact even after a very large fall, however there is a good chance of killing the crew inside from a fall.
>>
File: ChibiMX-13.jpg (193KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
ChibiMX-13.jpg
193KB, 1000x669px
>>54702824
this would work against an Abrams or a Chally.

good luck getting around that Thermal Vision,

worse if you swapped out the M1 with a tank known fro crawling out of weird places with their treads, such as Leopard 2's or the K2....
>>
Just surround it, someone will get in eventually.
>>
>>54702655
Romans. Eventually the crew needs to sleep and Abram tanks are maintenance whores so the Legions sent after it would just have to wait it out.

A more fun question would be what if the Romans got hold of the new BMP-T "Terminator"?
>>
File: masada_ramp.jpg (70KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
masada_ramp.jpg
70KB, 480x319px
>>54702655
The Romans. I don't think you guys appreciate what thousands of highly motivated humans can accomplish with brute force alone.

Pic related.
>>
>>54702655
The Romans. The crew has to eat, sleep, take shits, etc. They can't spend all their time in the damn thing. And even if it's fuel and ammo are infinite, things still have to be maintained. Plenty of things can break or wear out.

A tank can't keep going forever and the Roman Empire's a big place.
>>
>>54702765
>The Roman Empire has literally nothing that can damage it.

You don't necessarily need to penetrate the hull of an M1 Abrams - or any tank, for that matter - to still render it inoperable. For example, during Operation Desert Storm, three M1 Abrams tanks of the US 24th Infantry were left behind enemy lines on Feb. 27 near Talil Airfield (south of Nasiriyah). One had been hit by enemy fire such as to render it inoperable (without penetrating the armor), while the other two got stuck in mud. All three were destroyed by US forces to prevent their trophy-capture.

Likewise, the M1 Abrams tank that the Romans have to deal with could run into any number of problems. The Romans can't meaningfully damage the armor or probably even the treads, but they might be able to smash some of its cameras or other sensory equipment. They can't stop it from plowing through their minds, but if TWO M1s can get stuck in the mud in the same battle, then it could certainly happen to this one.

Especially seeing as it has to engage the entire Roman Empire at its height...

I give this one to the Romans. It's a massively costly battle, but eventually something's gonna go wrong for the M1 crew that will render the tank unfit for combat, even if it isn't technically "destroyed".
>>
>>54702949
oy vey delet this
>>
>>54703016
>plowing through their minds

*plowing through their lines, mea culpa. Though certainly the Romans will have their minds blown by the tank, so the statement is still technically correct.
>>
A tank needs maintenance. Eventually, that engine will seize up, or the treads will fall apart. Or the driver will accidentally end up in a ditch, or even the Romans will hatch a cunning plan and make a bog that it will sink into or fall into a leaf covered ditch.
>>
File: india.jpg (93KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
india.jpg
93KB, 980x490px
>>54702793
>they still shat in the streets for the most part!
>>
>>54702949
>>54702915
The only thing that needs to keep working are the guns. The Romans aren't going to keep trying to assault a tank when each attack wipes out units.
>>
>>54702655
Loses a tread. Move on.
>>
>>54702655
The Roman Empire would win in the long term. Even if the tank somehow has infinite ammo, infinite fuel, an immunity to non-battle-induced maintenance needs, and a crew that doesn't need food and sleep, the Romans win. Eventually, the tank will become buried in rubble in a city, or some mook with a sword will manage to disable a track in some way. It might take a few thousand dead Romans, but it will happen eventually.

It does raise a good question though. Say Romans have had about a month to get used to the concept of a tank, and the battlefield is a Roman city. What kind of weapons would they try? I'm imagining some kind of rope-trap that hopes to entangle the tracks.
>>
>>54703050
>or even the Romans will hatch a cunning plan and make a bog that it will sink into or fall into a leaf covered ditch.

This.

The catch-phrase for dealing with downtimers is "primitive, not stupid." The Roman Empire has no idea what an M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank is, but once it starts collecting data about how it operates and what it can do, they'll start thinking up solutions.
>>
>>54703083
The crew will still need to reload and as others stated they will need to eat, sleep, etc. as well as perform maintenance on things such as the machine gun or the turret. Tank crews are only a handful of people and they aren't trained to take care of the tank beyond superficial things. Given enough time the Romans would figure out a way to either trap and kill the crew or somehow bring the Abrams into their fold by promising land and titles to the crew
>>
>>54703103
It'll be a ditch. The Romans were, as a people, engineers. They'll look at the tank an the way it moves and realize that it has a limited ability to climb, and no ability at all to climb vertical surfaces. So they'll probably use a ditch. That, or they might reach back in time and drop giant rocks on it from over the side of a cliff, mammoth-hunting style.

Depending on how balls-to-the-wall, "fuck it, hold my wine I got this" they're feeling, I can even imagine some kind of giant lever system to try and flip the tank like a pancake.

But most likely? Ditch.
>>
>>54702655
>infinite fuel and ammo

The crew starve inside

Alternatively, it just kind of roams around, a horrible monster no one can stop, so they just sort of avoid it.
>>
>>54703083
But then, if you're not moving, you aren't accomplishing anything. You're just rotting in a bunker. It'd be like a boring reverse siege.

>"Don't go near there, son."
>"Why, papa?"
>"There's a bunch of angry dudes in a box that spits death."
>"...What?"
>"How your gandfather died. True story."
>>
>>54702655
Abrams would be defeated by the first Roman bridge it tried to cross.
>>
>>54703210
That or the crew gets lost as fuck and decide fuck it and join one of the many Roman Legions running around
>>
Why would the crew sleeping and eating be a negative for the tank? It's already faster than anything that can follow it, all it needs to do is drive away from a threat into the middle of nowhere, set up a nice little camp next to the tank. Keep watch on the thermals. Eating from the larders of some village out in the boonies, if you're worried about the inhabitants turning on you for some sort of reward, that's what the machine guns are for.

Rinse, wash, repeat until a crew member gets cocky and is stabbed by a whore.
>>
File: 1494974632881.png (166KB, 858x675px) Image search: [Google]
1494974632881.png
166KB, 858x675px
>>54703238
>Romans reverse-engineer modern computing and tanks based on the M1 Abrams
>They conquer all of Eurasia using Blitzkrieg against spearchuckers
>>
>>54703150
funny,
soviets literally used "Ditch" as an AT weapon at the Battle of Kursk

i am not making this shit up.
>>
>>54703248
Looks like SOMEONE forgot about the Second Punic War.
>>
>>54703298
>even if it's a shit tank equal to a MkIV
i need this in my life...
>>
>>54703298
>Romans reverse-engineer modern computing and tanks based on the M1 Abrams

That'd be pretty much impossible. They don't have the knowledge or tools necessary. Hell, they don't even have the knowledge or tools needed to BUILD the knowledge and tools.

At most it might get them to start thinking about vehicular warfare, but you're more likely to see a development of something like the Dongwu Che from China, then a tank; and even then it would be the Romans using the extant tech to build towards a tank-like idea, rather than actually gaining anything from the tank itself.

Oh, you also run into the problem that by the time of the Five Good Emperors, Rome didn't WANT to expand anymore. It considered itself to have reached its "natural borders".

>Blitzkrieg

You have no idea what this actually means. Protip: you need more than tanks.
>>
>>54703498
>That'd be pretty much impossible. They don't have the knowledge or tools necessary. Hell, they don't even have the knowledge or tools needed to BUILD the knowledge and tools.
Howdy Turtledove, I didn't know you posted 'round these here parts.

That said, you're right but they'd probably reverse engineer *something* out of the gigantic future machine of death. They probably wouldn't figure out how to build a computer, but I think that for example from examining the steel plating of a tank they could figure out something about metallurgy (even if it's something as "unspectacular" as Toledo steel being figured out 1000 years in advance). Or just the entire concept of vehicular combat, as you mentioned. If they also somehow manage to figure out gunpowder I imagine that the vision of a tank could inspire them to have some sort of mobile artillery station. Basically something that looks like a tank from the outside but is pushed forward by a crew of maybe 10 men, who would then fire their cannons from a steel dome on top of said vehicle. Not exactly a tank, but still something that could trivialize sieges as it allows for high power projectiles to be launched from a very safe position rather close to the enemy.

>Oh, you also run into the problem that by the time of the Five Good Emperors, Rome didn't WANT to expand anymore.
True, but I doubt that technology that would make this expansion nearly risk-free wouldn't change that. Perhaps it would be enough to make them reconsider Augustus' plan to move the border to the Elbe, or launch another attempt to seize Mesopotamia. I doubt the Romans would be so fixated on their borders that they'd refuse borderline risk-free expansion of their resources.
>>
>>54703498
Gee, thank you for setting us straight, Snoutband Von Dummkopf.
>>
>>54703083
So, they just leave it alone and go about their lives.
>>
>>54702905
>someone will get in eventually

lol no they won't. it isn't physically possible to pry open a hatch with human or animal strength. this is assuming you don't just get mowed down by one of the machine guns (you will).
>>
I'm sure the roman empire has a few mountains/rivers/seas that the tank is gonna have trouble with, unlimited resources or not.

Even if you have infinite ammo you can't just shoot an ocean until it goes away,
>>
>>54702984
They can drive off into a deserted place to shit and get food. They can come back and continue killing at their leisure.
>>
>>54703687
>Howdy Turtledove, I didn't know you posted 'round these here parts.

I've actually never read any of Turtledove's crosstime stuff. Just the TL-191 series.

I got banned from Alternatehistory.com because Ian is an asshole who thinks stating "the issue with the Middle East is deeper than al-Qaeda or DAESH or whatever, it's Islamic Extremism, and solving the problems in the Middle East involves fixing the underlying causes rather than simply killing every rmember of al-Qaeda" is equal to, and I quote, "literally advocating religious genocide". Even though in the same post where I stated my case I outlined that fixing the Middle East will probably involve re-drawing the map to take into account ethnic (Kurds, natch) and religious (i.e., Shi'a and Sunni) differences, and also went out of my way to be clear that I have no issue with Islam as a religion in general. Because I don't. People are free to worship whatever they like as long as they aren't blowing up other people in the process, and 99.99% of Muslims are perfectly capable of not blowing people up.

Still unspeakably pissed off about my banning. I don't mind being called an asshole for my beliefs as long as what's being called out are ACTUALLY my beliefs. I wouldn't even have minded if I had been banned on the grounds of "your views are too extreme and I'm in charge, so I'm kicking you out."

But by saying I was "literally advocating religious genocide", Ian put words in my mouth and attacked my character. Like, I am still FURIOUS. To the point where if this was 200 years ago, I'd be demanding pistols at dawn. Not that I want such today, of course, just that's the kind of level of anger I'm at concerning Alternatehistory.com in general, and Ian the Admin in particular.

...but anyway, yeah, I'm not Harry Turtledove. Sorry. Need to rant on occasion. Makes me feel better. I had previously really liked that site.
>>
File: 1460670389738.png (860KB, 809x747px) Image search: [Google]
1460670389738.png
860KB, 809x747px
>>54703878
>Need to rant on occasion.
I get it. Being silenced for opinions that are double plus ungood can get pretty frustrating. Society at large, the entire google complex and even 4chan are moving more and more into that direction. Look forward to a society where anything more complex than a cute kitten video will have to be strictly moderated lest it contains the "wrong kind" of opinions.
>>
>>54703934
Again, I wouldn't even mind if it was something I actually DID. I actually had a sock puppet account for unrelated reasons that escaped the ban. I used it to lay out a case as to why Ian was wrong to ban me by the posted rules of the site (namely, that a) I did not in any reasonably way advocate any sort of genocide, and b) the site's own rules require that accusing someone of doing such requires both immediate and substantive proof, which he did not provide, and c) I used examples of people in the past who had advocated that it was okay to drop the a-bombs on Japan as being the best of a multitude of bad options NOT being banned, even when they were threads Ian had personally participated in, as proof that merely calling for something that would cause death on a large scale - which I wasn't even doing - wasn't grounds for banning).

He banned that one, too. Which is fine - using a sock puppet to get around a ban, is stated as a bannable offense (although interestingly enough merely having a sock-puppet account in general is not). I knew there was some very, very slim chance that an appeal to reason would work, but if it didn't then at least the sock-puppet would have been banned for something I actually did.

I'd previously on that site argued vehemently AGAINST genocide in other threads. Fuck, I friggin' remember seeing 9/11 happen in school in 8th grade and being one of the only kids who DIDN'T want to nuke Afghanistan, on the grounds of not wanting to target innocent civilians. And now whenever anyone stumbles across my profile on that site, it's going to have "banned for advocating religious genocide" next to it.

Seriously. 200 years ago. Pistols at dawn.

This all went down in the wake of the 2015 Paris attacks, by the way.
>>
>>54702655
The Romans.
The tank can't go underwater to get to Britain.
>>
>>54703150
>flip a 60 ton tank
Goddamn, I want to see Romans hatching Wie E. Coyote plans to take down an Abrams.
>>
>>54703878
Alternatehistory.com seems like it's run by a bunch of faggots. You're okay, rantman.
>>
File: 1501775516866.png (98KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1501775516866.png
98KB, 550x400px
>Air filter glogs us / tank stops working
>Tank gets set on fire and over heats / it stops working

I think a big enough rock could bend the cannon as well
>>
>>54703826
>Deserted Place
>Food

Really?
>>
>>54704233
I don't mean to rant. I just haven't had much in the way of an outlet for this for two years...my IRL friends aren't into alternate history and so I don't want to bother them with it, and I don't want to be some whiny bitch on a blog. But things can only stay bottled up for so long, right?

And it really doesn't help that I consider myself to be generally center-left in terms of politics. I'm probably closer to Ian politically than the average 4chan user. And yet I got banned anyway, from again a site that I had really liked since I've always loved history and, consequently, alternate history.
>>
>>54702655
I think the sheer volume of ranged attacks from an army focusing on a single tank would be enough to eventually break it down

one arrow does fuck all to a tank

1000 arrows and a couple balista shots may stop it
>>
Better question: could all the current worlds militaries working together beat a single Mark XXXIII Bolo?
>>
>>54704407
Not without wasting precious nukes.
>>
>>54704339
It happens. Some people, from whichever political affiliation or view, are just intolerant of any divergence going as far as to create imaginary opposition where there is none.
>>
>>54704407
Maybe? Aren't its main guns super rail-guns that shoot relativistic fusion blasts or something?

I'd imagine that it's armor is fairly resilient to nukes, possibly even at point blank.
>>
>>54704407
How nuke-proof is it?
>>
File: CleaningOfTheSpiders.jpg (201KB, 1243x531px) Image search: [Google]
CleaningOfTheSpiders.jpg
201KB, 1243x531px
>>54703878
>>54704115
>>54704339
It's alright anon, it's normal and healthy to express your anger and fury from time to time; to indulge in it momentarily.
Almost makes you want to turn that passion and fury into a drive and purpose, doesn't it?
>>
>>54704115
>>54703878
Holy shit nobody cares.
>>
>>54704492
>Almost makes you want to turn that passion and fury into a drive and purpose, doesn't it?

I wish. Mostly it left me depressed. I've noticed that my creative ability took a Hell of a swan dive after that, and it's only recently started to recover.
>>
>>54704656
Your mom cared.
>>
>>54704453
>>54704470
Its 32,000 tons of armor and weapons and power plants and ai and other smaller tanks and drones

Its metal hide can survive a few megaton hits alone and its battle screens can absorb/block multiple multi-megaton strikes

Its main weapon is the hellbore. A directed energy weapon with megatons per second output.

The Mark XXXIV had two Hellrails. Each one could fire a 90 megaton shot into space to take out ships before they made orbit
>>
>>54704680
About some whiney toddler throwing a hissy fit online? Not likely.
>>
>>54702655
Tank crew has to come out and forage for food sometime.
>>
>>54702655
>M1 engine has a MTBF of 250 hours
Yeah nah. Engine fails, can't kill all romans. 11 days of hell for the Romans, though.
>>
>>54703016
>they might be able to smash some of its cameras or other sensory equipment.
The drivers view block on an Abrams is rated to withstand 30mm autocannon fire. The designers knew losing optics was a mission kill and compensated for the possibility.
>>
>>54702655
Its gears would get stuck with all the bodies. Some guy would get luck eventually and jam a rock in there. Somebody might take a metal rod and jam it in the gears.
>>
>>54704407
>main guns measured in megatons/sec
>pretty sure has spaceflight capability
Flies to moon, shoots everything on Earth.
>>
You people are retarded

Tens of Thousands of people swarming the tank at once would have it completely overwhelmned. They'd pry the doors open eventually and kill the cry inside
>>
TESTOCOLES!!!
JAM YOUR GLADIUS INTO THE WHEELED PORTCULLIS!!!

AS HERCULES SLAYETH THE HYDRA SO TOO SHALL WE SLAY YOU BEAST!!!
>>
>>54705271
If there's tens of thousands of people swarming the tank, the only retards involved are the crew. They can drive far faster than any army of the day can run, if they got surrounded it's because they fucked up.
>>
File: 20170731_202035.png (96KB, 245x252px) Image search: [Google]
20170731_202035.png
96KB, 245x252px
>>54705306
>romans yelling about a greek mythological figure
>>
>>54702824
This. Trap him to fall and then try to get a few guys to enter the tank and kill the crew with their swords.

This plan involves more casualties than it is worth for but I think it might be possible.
>>
>>54705271
Ah yes, as we all know the Romans were the Tyranids, completely okay with spending thousands of lives against what they could think is a giant metal monster that spits metal and breathes fire.
>>
File: Laughing Farage.jpg (5KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Farage.jpg
5KB, 299x168px
>>54705333

>He doesn't know about the Jovians and Herculians
>>
>>54705333
Hercules is a roman mythic figure, you're thinking of Heracles. Idiot.
>>
They're the goddamn Romans, they could surround it completely with impassable trenches.

Also, tank crews need to eat and sleep sometime..
>>
>>54705401
What if the crew are all undead?
>>
>>54705333
Sorry we don't know your OC DONUT STEEL names for our god's barbarian scum.
>>
>>54705410
THE ROMAN EMPIRE wants to get off Mr. Bones' Wild Ride
>>
>>54702793
>they still shat in the streets for the most part!
romans were actually incredibly interested in cleanliness. They had running water pipes connecting everything, sewers, baths.
They did not shit in the streets.

Watch this if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbG-yAlW9g
>>
>>54703687

>Gunpowder
While the Romans likely could have figured out black powder (likely in the process jump starting chemistry or at least alchemy)

I have serious doubts that they could understand modern smokeless "powder" mixes without knowledge of chemistry.
>>
>>54705545
The funny thing is, even with all that plumbing the Romans still by and large got the same parasites and diseases that people without sewage systems got.

The main theory is it was because they used human faeces to fertilize fields without proper composting.
>>
Expanding on the "Romans jumping ahead in tech" idea, let's pose a different question.

Suppose you are sent back in time to the height of the Roman Empire, with nothing on you save for simple, functional clothes, and a SINGLE book of your choice.

You do not know how to speak Latin (unless you already do), and the book remains in its authored language; you have to translate it for them, if the Romans can't do it themselves.

The book must be a singular, physical book; no anthologies or multi-volume compendiums unless they were physically printed inside a single pair of covers. It has to be an actual book, printed with ink on paper.

What book do you bring? Either in general, or a specific book.

The goal is to help the Roman Empire jumpstart political, social, and technological advancement towards something similar of the modern era.
>>
>>54705662
I'm going to be dead inside of 6 months from disease that I lack immunity to. So I bring back Treasure Island. If I'm gonna die, I might as well at least have my favorite book on me.
>>
>>54704186
The more I imagine this in my head the funnier it gets.
Commander: "Fabius! The beast approaches! Prepare the lever device!"
Tank: "Honk Honk!"
*Lever device activates underneath the tank*
*Lever reverses and launches the unwitting legion over the horizon*
>>
>>54705768
I fucking lost it, god damn it anon.

I want Roadrunner Abrams now.
>>
>>54705614
yeah this was still ancient times, before knowledge of bacteria or proper hand washing. Having running water was probably mostly for drinking and rinsing the hands and butt a bit every now and then.

Filthy times, but slightly cleaner than people without running water
>>
>>54702655
eventually the tank breaks down while the romans just avoid it.
also, there are probably zero bridges in the empire that would support a tank
>>
File: 150805896754.jpg (36KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
150805896754.jpg
36KB, 500x333px
>>54702655
M1 Abrams wipes out one or two legions.

Then, whilst it's crew are indulging in a bit of celebratory clapping, they drive it into a fucking ditch and immobilise themselves because tankies can't drive for shit.
>>
>>54705911
t. gruntpleb
>>
>>54704377
It really won't do shit against chobham. Ballista might be capable of damaging a track section but good luck scoring a hit.
>>
>>54705911

Look sometimes your tank just needs to roll on his side and have a nap and they find ditches so comfortable.
>>
>>54705872
Roman legions used to break step when marching over bridges so you're probably right. And good luck to them trying to perform a fording with no maps or local knowledge.

>This looks shallow enough, let's just slowly creep forward and see how...
>*Mission Kill*
>>
File: 1501645278746.jpg (657KB, 1600x2263px) Image search: [Google]
1501645278746.jpg
657KB, 1600x2263px
>>54702655
eventually it breaks down or gets stuck in the mud, or falls off the road, or trapped in rubble, or falls in a river, or throws a track, or gets stuck in sand, or falls off a bridge.

dozens of tanks in iraq were fucked up by stupid random shit like that. i guess the romans could get like 20,000 guys with a bucket of oil. find a place that the tank cant run away. cover it it oil and set it on fire. at least the optics and such would be fucked. then you could fuck up the barrel by throwing rocks into it.
>>
>>54706060
They'd probably just dig a massive ditch around it whilst the crew was sleeping. Roman's didn't fuck about with military engineering, at the siege of Masada they build a five kilometre wall around the fortress in four days.
>>
>>54705662
Probably some compressed book on mathematics, I already have common knowledge of a ton of shit that will be useful to jumpstart progress (germ theory, atomic theory, optics, history, ect) but to understand the underlying theories and lay formal ground work maths is desperately needed. It's also one of the best languages we know of to describe the world*, and I ain't too good at that stuff so it would be best to bring a book. Maybe the first volume of Principia Mathematica if I can't find a thin page 3 vols in one version, that or some sort of "Undergraduate maths for dummies" book.

*To paraphrase an old Chinese story "A man asked his sifu whether he should study language or maths, his tutor replied that he should study both, but if he had to choose one than he should study maths, 'For numbers can speak, but speech cannot number"
>>
>>54706107
yeah, thats probably the best strategy for actively trying to beat it. lure it into a 1 mile radius circle shaped anti tank ditch. it drives in. workers close the opening to the circle.
tank is fucked
>>
>>54706154
On a related note; how much would the ancient Greeks REEEE once someone explained Godel's incompleteness theorem to them?

>Yeah, guys, sorry to say, but it turns out that math literally can't prove all truth
>>
File: 1495965790467.jpg (67KB, 600x323px) Image search: [Google]
1495965790467.jpg
67KB, 600x323px
>>54705662
I'd just take an Atlas. Doesn't need translating, they'll recognise what it is and the quality of the printing/binding will be enough to impress them.

Ultra-precise detailing of geography would help massively with military campaigns and general administration of the empire, plus I can probably grunt my way in Latin to explaining what the Americas are and how badly they'll be able to rek the natives if they can get there.

I could probably invent something like a matchlock or flintlock too, I can make gunpowder fairly easily if Roman metallurgy can produce a half-decent gun barrel.
>>
>>54706290
You'd be politely invited to drink poison.
>>
>>54702655
Romans win because that thing needs maintenance.

However if the tank is completely self-sustaining, it could go either way. Fear is a big factor here, because the Romans could absolutely use the environment to kill the tank if they wanted to. But a huge seemingly-invincible metal monster racing around at high speeds and instantly punching holes through city walls from miles away is not good for morale.
>>
>>54706333
Depends if the crew tries to negotiate. If they do, and do so successfully, Rome might capitulate but if they're just going to be this rampaging monster, the Roman legions proved they were entirely willing (and able, with serious discipline) to absorb casualties that would have had any other nation begging for terms.
>>
>>54702655
Do the machine guns overheat, or does infinite ammo also mean holding the trigger down indefinitely?
>>
>>54702655
Greek fire, a whole lot of greek fire.
>>
>>54706378
There is a difference between absorbing massive casualties in a campaign lasting years against other armies and absorbing massive casualties in short order against a single enemy unit. Plus the whole, "the metal box made a loud noise and a cohort was turned into meaty chunks while they were across the field."
>>
>>54706311
>Take atlas
>Start showing it off to people
>Get shanked by some random guy who realizes you have something worth a gorillian Denarius

>I could probably invent something like a matchlock or flintlock too, I can make gunpowder fairly easily if Roman metallurgy can produce a half-decent gun barrel.
Basic bitch metalurgy can make a half decent gun barrel, just probably not one that's half decent on top of being light and thin.

Though you could probably compensate for the other shittyness by inventing rifling early. OK rifling can be done with basic hand tools.
>>
>>54706482
You also only need minimal fights.
Imagine the chaos you will wrought on the empire when the people know there's a magical beat that can level a city then dissapear even before the legions arrive.
>>
>>54706154
1 $P34/< 1337, (4|\| (0|\||=1R|\/|
>>
File: 012_1489899776.jpg (172KB, 600x853px) Image search: [Google]
012_1489899776.jpg
172KB, 600x853px
>>54706482
>>
File: 013_1489899776.jpg (356KB, 1206x853px) Image search: [Google]
013_1489899776.jpg
356KB, 1206x853px
>>54706727
>>
File: 014_1489899776.jpg (158KB, 600x853px) Image search: [Google]
014_1489899776.jpg
158KB, 600x853px
>>54706734
>>
File: 015_1489899776.jpg (227KB, 600x853px) Image search: [Google]
015_1489899776.jpg
227KB, 600x853px
>>54706748
>>
>>54702655
>Roman empire outlasts the men in the tank
>eventually recovers magic tank with unlimited fuel and ammunition
>Uses it to secure the empire
Point goes to the Roman empire
>>
File: 016_1489899776.jpg (465KB, 1204x853px) Image search: [Google]
016_1489899776.jpg
465KB, 1204x853px
>>54706762
>>
File: tostitos-chunky-salsa-mild7213.jpg (190KB, 470x650px) Image search: [Google]
tostitos-chunky-salsa-mild7213.jpg
190KB, 470x650px
>>54702793
>treads do bad things to troop formations.
understatement of the fucking century
>Pic related, its what happens when tank treads meet formations
>trigger warning
>>
File: 017_1489899776.jpg (187KB, 600x853px) Image search: [Google]
017_1489899776.jpg
187KB, 600x853px
>>54706775
>>
>>54705921
Just remember, death before dismount.
>>
>>54703027
*smashes through your walls and enters the New City*
>>
File: 7b2.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
7b2.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
>>54702655
>Ten thousand Romans with shovels dig a big ditch around the Tank and fill it with water and mud
What now smart guy?
>>
File: Roadrunner.gif (5KB, 177x238px) Image search: [Google]
Roadrunner.gif
5KB, 177x238px
>>54706799
Commander: "You see, Fabius! The beast will never escape this entrapment! We've won the war with earth and water!"
*Tank appears behind them as they stare towards the far side expectantly*
*Romans panic and tumble into the moat*
*Tank rumbles away, kicking up a spray of mud and grass*
>>
File: Principles-of-Firearms.jpg (2MB, 1629x2498px) Image search: [Google]
Principles-of-Firearms.jpg
2MB, 1629x2498px
>>54705662
>Suppose you are sent back in time to the height of the Roman Empire, with nothing on you save for simple, functional clothes, and a SINGLE book of your choice.
Ha
Haha
Ahahahahaha!
HAHAHAHAHA!
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

'Ahem'
And the barbarian speaking some butchered form of germania and or brittania brings Romans forth into the future
>>
>>54706843
Listen anon, M1 Abrams tanks are a force to be reckoned with, but they cannot climb a 10' vertical wall
>>
>>54706778
fucking hell anon
blue board!
>>
>>54706727
Oh god, don't remind me. GATE had such a great concept. But then the standard wish fulfillment harem tripe and grorious invincibre JSDF wank came and poisoned the whole thing.
>>
>>54706896
lots of people had problems with GATE because the author was nationalist. It got real uncomfortable because when it showed it was very blatant and extremely retarded. He got called out numerous times about that.

Then there are fanfics written by actual US tank commanders...
>>
>>54706866
Well of course not. I'm pretty sure that post was a joke harkening back to >>54705768 considering it's the same format.
That said, realistically speaking, how fast or how far out would they have to start digging to keep the crew from seeing what they were doing and just driving around their constructions before they were fully encircled? I mean, roman logistics and engineering were top notch for their time, but it still takes a while to dig and fill a pit that big.
>>
>>54706311
>I'd just take an Atlas. Doesn't need translating, they'll recognise what it is and the quality of the printing/binding will be enough to impress them.
this is a surprisingly elegant and simple answer
>>
>>54706896
I wanted so badly for GATE to be better than it was. I love the idea... but it was just such insufferable wank.
>>
>>54706914
Just dig enough pit traps and eventually the tank will fall into one of them
Also predicting where the tank will go based on observing how it handles different terrain wouldn't be a bad idea either
>>
>>54706928
I loved the concept, I hated the blatant wank.

GATE is still a wonderful setting if you think about it.
>>
>>54706896
>Manga has good concept that few other mediums would green light
>goes to shit half way because the author is an otaku/otaku pandering hack who can't stay on the straight and narrow
Every fucking time, god damn it. It's especially bad with tacticool shit and weapons stuff. Yet I still fall for it hook line and sinker every damn time.
>>
>>54706970
I am on board with any setting that includes copious amounts amounts of cute demi-human girls.
>>
>>54705313
The romans control the roads and all passes, they could track it quite easily with light cavalry and surround it quickly.

Romans weren't idiots and you vastly overestimate how tough a tank in. All they have to do is lay one ambush, get a few guys on top with siege tools, and it's done.
>>
>>54705355
If it's the entire empire vs. 1 thing they'd expend lives if necessary. You think they'd just let a tank take down their whole army as they sat there?
>>
>>54703150
How's about they trick the tank crew into driving into a ditch AND drop a boulder on it while it's stuck in the ditch.
>>
>>54706997
GATE is a wonderful setting. A wonderful dystopia setting.

>Human-centric, Roman style empire that routinely and aggressively expands gain power or slaves
>keeps citizens and vassals in line by a combination of terror and military might
>regularly purges and encourages the killing of demihumans
>Pursues a scorched earth policy when at war against the enemy and their own people.
>Slavery is so common that no one bats an eye at the abuse.
>Shits so bad that the a GOD open a portal to another world so the empire can get its butt kicked.
>>
>>54702858
even if the crew survive just bury it once you have it in a hole.
it ain't going to do shit then.
>>
>>54703878
Welcome to today's "left" where it's not so much about principles or ideals but mindlessly regurgitating the latest orthodoxy as faithfully as possible in order to avoid censor. Sort of like Stalinism.

and before you idiots accuse me of being a nazi or something like that note the fact I put left in inverted commas, what could I have meant by that? But once again the modern day "left" does not prioritize thinking, just obedience, like a cult.
>>
>>54706896
There was a GATE fanfic where a Japan invokes the Mutual Defense Treaty and sends a US-Japanese armored force to take over the Gate and the surrounding areas.

You have a chapter where the tank platoon with supporting infantry and anti-air murder the shit outta the Imperial army and reinforcements sent to retake the gate.

Another chapter where US Marines and JSDF troopers are forced into urban combat and clear houses when a bandit force massacres an entire village.
>>
>>54707005
Nigga a tank can reach 30-45 MPH and sustain that as long as it needs to. A really good horse's best sustained speed for a reasonably short period of time is like 15 MPH, unless there was some sort of routing trouble for the tank no messenger would be reasonably able to get ahead of the tank, let alone to set up an ambush at a point ahead of it, or "surround it".

Sure the Romans could send teams to every possible ambush point to construct siege weaponry in advance, but even then they would be disadvantaged by the tanks speed and engagement range.
>>
>>54706908
It's not even just the nationalist shit. It's the wasted potential of the fantasy world as well. We're quickly introduced to a magic user who could take the Japs in a fight, but then she's immediately dragged into the MC's harem because apparently actual threats to his self-insert make the author's dick soft.
Even with that the political drama could still have been interesting, with the JSDF being treated as a sort of force of nature as various groups trying to get it on their side, but it's just poorly handled and takes second fiddle to giving boring otaku man more girls to not fuck.
>>
>>54707162
>mage dragged into MC's harem
I see nothing wrong with this.

I mean he got three girls wanting the d why not a fourth?
>>
>>54704801
He meant he fucked your mother you idiot.
>>
>>54705333
Hercules was the roman name for the Greek mythological figure Heracles, it makes perfect sense that they'd use that name. Did you not know that the romans stole most of the culture we associate with them from the greeks?
>>
>>54705355
What they'd probably do is send a messenger to negotiate with the crew, offer each of them a share of the empire if they'll agree to help the romans rather then kill them, and then murder them all in their sleep a few months later as revenge.
>>
>>54703248
the Romans don't need to keep up with it to folllow it.
A Tanks trail is going to be hard to miss.
Sure the crew will get away for a short time, but in only a couple hours they'll.be dealing with more of the Roman army. Crew fatigue will ensure the tanks inevitable failure.
>>
>>54702655
Tanks need maintenance every 100km or so, so I'd say roman empire. Plus as anons said, they could trick it into falling into pit and bury it. Also, did they have catapults back then? Could they just wreck it with a giant boulder?
>>
>>54702655
All romans need to do is keep out of the way and wait. Tanks don't get very far without maintenance, especially since there wouldn't be proper roads or bridges to support it.
>>
>>54706406
Yep there's absolutely nothing between kitten videos and glorifying genocide, you're a moron and you're not funny either.
>>
File: 1485553174957.jpg (21KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1485553174957.jpg
21KB, 427x427px
>>54707248
>Tracked vehicles
>Needing roads
>>
>>54707181
I wouldn't mind it so much if there were other powerful forces that grorious nippon didn't immediately dickslap into submission, but as it is there's no threat and no tention when there's loads of potential for both. Scythey goth girl is wasted in the harem.

>>54707266
>feeding the faggot troll a (You)
anon no
>>
>>54707243
Catapults had trouble hitting stationary objects the size of town walls, how the heck they gonna hit a moving tank?

Also despite best practices when it comes to maintenance, chances are the thing would be battle ready (against infantry anyway) for a long time with just field repairs.
>>
>>54703202
Underrated post
>>
>>54707315
They don't NEED roads, but going through a field of mud or a thick forest surely increases the need for maintenance.
>>
Next level up.

An Iowa-class battleship with unlimited ammunition, fuel, and crew complement suddenly appears in the Mediterranean sea.
It does not have unlimited supplies or food otherwise.

The question is not if the Roman Empire could beat it, but how much of the region would it potentially devastate?
>>
The entire roman Republic

Versus

A singly guy with a 360 controller and a laptop with unlimited batteries which controls a predator drone armed with unlimited hellfire missiles and fuel
>>
>>54707509
Unlmited crew complement? All of it.
>>
>>54707566
Whoops, that was a mistake; I meant to say "full crew compliment", as if the ship were fresh off the dock and on its way to the Pacific Theater.
>>
File: USA USA USA.jpg (557KB, 2149x3035px) Image search: [Google]
USA USA USA.jpg
557KB, 2149x3035px
>>54707509
>unlimited crew complement
United Empire of Iowa here we come
>>
>>54707561
Well, we'll finally put to rest the question of whether or not you actually need boots on the ground to police a nation.
>>
>>54707561
Lasts an afternoon before the guy has to get up for din din.

This is why you have the people in charge be skeletons.
>>
>>54707561
Wi-fi range isn't that long, he isn't getting very far with that setup.
>>
>>54702655
How much maintenance does it take to keep an Abrams operational? The tank wins untill it's worn down.
>>
>>54702655
the fuck you think a tank without infantry support is gonna do
>>
>>54707626
Using the formula from GURPS Vehicles, it needs some kind of maintenance about every 8 hours.
>>
File: IMG_0033.gif (169KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.gif
169KB, 650x488px
>>54703687
>but I think that for example from examining the steel plating of a tank they could figure out something about metallurgy

How? How the fuck would looking at a plate of steel be in any way helpful in recreating the processes used to make said plate of steel?

I'll answer that: in no way. What you could look at and copy would be the simple mechanical items that are imediatly easy to grasp. How to make and use screws insted of nails might lead to a revolution in Roman carpentry, which might be used in making siege engines or some shit. Apart from that I can't imagine any military advantage could be gleamed from the tank.
>>
>>54702824
In theory, but while they're digging the tank is circling their entire army just plugging away with it's guns.
>>
>>54702824
>>54705343
Are you implying that the romans could somehow come up with this plan, dig this massive hole and bait the tank into it after they have made contact and are fighting said tank?

It would just drive around and create space and kill the romans from afar. It doesnt need to chase them.
>>
>>54707695
That's considerable maintenance. But a modern MBT is a rather complex machine.

If I was the tank commander (squad leader? Captain? Tank master? Don't know what it's called) I would probably get the machine stripped down for anything useful and continue on foot from the moment it became clear that we will not have any spare parts coming.
>>
>>54702655
what does "vs" mean? what's the victory condition?
>>
>>54707766
Team deathmatch. It's always a team deathmatch.
>>
you can disable a tank by basically cramming shit into it for long enough and the only way the crew can stop you if you're already on top of it is coming out and shooting you with their rifles.
>>
>>54703687
>steel plating
Abrams use Uranium and kevlar in their armor and have reactive armor systems on top of that as well.
If anything they will believe it is dark magic when a few "researchers" get sick from working with the uranium.

An Abrams is so ridiculously out of their scope of technology they only things they could possibly learn are treads and the basic function of a ballistic projectile.
>>
>>54707699
They might be able to see the advantage in using the basic mechanics of vehicles like suspension, transmissions, ect. There was already knowledge of basic hydraulics and mechanical stuff, it just wasn't widely distributed or used, perhaps running into a tank would make them reconsider their value.

Also even if they couldn't recreate modern smokeless powder, I'm sure some inquiring minds would seek to replicate it, and eventually might bumble their way into figuring it out, the Chinese figured that shit out around that time and all the ingredients were available to the Romans.
>>
>>54707818
>Depleted uranium
>Causing anyone to get sick unless they do something retarded like swallow it or crush it up and snort it
Nah.
>>
>>54703135
>will need to eat, sleep, etc
Why do you think the fight would take that long?
>>
>>54703159
>avoid it.
How? It's 2-3 times faster than a horse.
>>
>>54707830
>romans
>not doing exactly that
>>
>>54707735
Yes.
>>
>>54707854
>How? It's 2-3 times faster than a horse.
It's a tank, not a car. Abrams top speed off-road is only 48kph, or about the same as a galloping horse.
>>
>>54707897
Except that a horse can keep that speed up for a few miles tops, where as the tank can keep it up indefinitely.
>>
>>54707923
The horse doesn't NEED to keep that speed up for more than a few miles if it's just trying to stay out of the way.
>>
>>54706410

Would /co/ not be the place for a Zyklon Ben Garrison compendium? They're edited drawn western cartoons.
>>
Does it come with a maintenance crew and parts? The Romans.
>>
>>54703816
with HE you can, since if you cause water to steam of at a higher rate then it replenished from worldwide rain and river top off you would literarily empty the ocean... doubt HE from a single tank would be enough though.
>>
>>54702858
The Roman Empire would remain intact too, I guess it's a draw.
>>
Given that the Romans have enough time to think It out:
Lure the tank into a city provided with hydric system and drown It
You people keep thinking "tank vs romans in open field battles", but that Is not necessarily the case. If they have time to study the case and Think about a strategy (like if the tank spawns in upper Gallia), you would be' surprised at how crafty the motherfuckers could be'
A marine battalion I would not know, but a Tank wouldnt stand a chance
>>
>>54702655
Romans would win, just bury the tank in a pile of bodies or wait for it to break down.
>>
>>54708150
>Lure the tank into a city
Okay, how? Place a big fuel dump in the middle of a city, with a sign that says "Meal for tankers, totally not a trap"?
>>
>>54702655
If the crew consist of humans and it isn't some demonic tank, they will need food, water and they won't want to spend their lives inside the cramped space.
Just send emissaries. Promise them senatorial positions and young, nubile boys to fuck if they join the Roman side. Done.
>>
>>54702655
Rome wins. Literally just thousands of soldiers run up and pour boiling oil into the tank.
>>
>>54708160
They'd fall for it. They're tankers.
>>
>>54704240
Ya, could't they just use sticky fire on it till it gets in a wrong hole or something.
>>
>>54708160
They want to conquer the Empire. They Will get in a city sooner or later
>>
>>54707819
That is not taking the Roman view of technology into consideration. Why make a cart with better suspension? The slaves are there to drive them and we don't care about those. And hydralics? We have our canals and our aquaducts already, what more do we need? If it does not directly impact the life of Roman citizens or the fighting power of our army we don't care. The classical economy simply had no concept of technological innovation ina shape we would recognize and that would let the Romans benefit from the tank.
>>
>>54706311
>Making gunpowder
>Not guncotton
plebian
>>
>>54708250
Their attempts to recreate a tank using their already existing steam engines may kick off an industrial revolution, though. They'd only be able to make a crude mockery of a tank, but if they use that knowledge to build trains they'd have an incredible logistical advantage which could in turn solidify their control over Europe.
>>
How to Defeat a Tank
A Guide for Romans

1) Find a nice mountain pass with a wide path around, ensure it has a tight bottleneck.
2) Dig a number of nice deep pit traps with nice steep walls - cover with foliage weave mats.
3) Lure tank into pass, alternatively wait for it to come.
4) Once the tank falls in, fill in hole.
5) Leave for a week, just to be safe.
6) Unbury, using a number of cranes remove now-harmless tank.
7) Spend a year figuring out how to crack it open.
8) Conquer the known world.
>>
I was gonna side with side with romans on that one, because yeah, terrain manipulation, and a whole fucking empire of manpower.

But have you ever played Pocket Tanks?
You know what you do when you encounter a hill slightly too steep or a ditch?
You level that shit down with your unlimited ammo and fuel. You keep shooting to the point there's now a slope like road in the middle of whatever was standing in your way.
>>
>>54708258
Where you gonna get the nitric acid?
Or the cotton for that matter.
>>
>>54707200
"stole"
The Americans stiole most of their culture from the British
:^)
>>
>>54704733
What the fuck is being fought that this level of force is necessary?
>>
>>54708419
Equivalent mega-tank armies.
>>
>>54708372
Nitrites can be fermented from piss, and after that it's just a few copper scraps and water vapor. Not the most efficient way to make Aqua Fortis, but hey, you work with what you have.

And while cotton works best, you can use any kind of plant fibers to make nitrocellulose. It doesn't HAVE to be cotton.
>>
>>54702655
>infinite fuel and ammunition.
this is incredibly unrealistic.

If you give the tank infinite fuel and ammunition, the Romans should have 2 infinite commodities too.

Infinite manpower and provisions should do the trick.

I put my money on the Romans. Its just one tank. at the very least it kills a bunch of people and the crew die of natural causes. Rome will still exist. Lets not forget the tank crew can't speak any of the local languages of the period, they won't exactly be turning into warlords or setting up city states. They will cruise around, do the things that army kids love to do; drink, fuck, blow shit up. Then they will get bored and/or have an existential crisis and kill themselves.
>>
>>54702655
Better question.

Can the romans beat this?
>>
>>54708536
Yeah, they have orbital frames
>>
>>54703816
>Even if you have infinite ammo you can't just shoot an ocean until it goes away,
Fill the ocean with shells! If you do it long enough you can ride across your own spent ammunition.
>>
roman empire knows it needs roads, so they dig a big hole in one and then cover it like in cartoons, as the abrams passes over it, it falls down, gg roman empire wins.
>>
>>54702655
Tankers gotta sleep sometime.
>>
>>54709686
>go to sleep cause haven't slept for 5 days
>suddenly 5,000 dicks up your ass
>"centurion, his ass is so clean, why is that so?"
>>
File: zTfR7eZR7johzHzRpkr7cWCkLrm.jpg (170KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
zTfR7eZR7johzHzRpkr7cWCkLrm.jpg
170KB, 1000x1500px
>>54703016
>They can't stop it from plowing through their minds

We MAIN BATTLE SCANNER now!
>>
>>54702655

>>Entire might of the USA vs. Afganistan

Blowing shit up is not enough.
>>
>>54702655
The tank. Whenever people talk about this shit it seems like they assume everyone will just mindlessly fight to the death like robots, but that's not how it ever actually happens.

There's a very real chance that the Romans would see a tank as something divine. There's nothing stopping the tank crew from annihilating all resistance in their way to the senate, mowing down all opposition, and declaring themselves envoys from the gods in a chariot forged by Vulcan.

This is Hernan Cortes meeting the Aztecs times a thousand. The infinite fuel and ammo being literally magic makes it even easier
>>
>>54702655
>The Roman Empire at its height vs one M1 Abrams tank with infinite fuel and ammunition.

It doesn't have infinite tracks or replacement parts so all they have to do is go into the woods and they're golden.
It'd confined to wherever it is since the roads weren't wide enough to accomodate a tank, it can't go through trees that lined the roads and to top it off, none of the bridges could hold it.

Unable to cross rivers, unable to go into the (back then extremely common) forrests, unable to repair its tracks once it inevitably destroys them in a matter of days.
The tank is fucked.
>>
>>54710255
>There's nothing stopping the tank crew from annihilating all resistance in their way to the senate

the tank couldn't fit into the streets of a Roman city, my friend.
Or cross the bridge inside of it.
And going through the buildings is a hollywood fantasy at best.
>>
>>54710279
It doesn't need to fit into the streets. It can just bulldozer through the buildings until the streets fit IT.
>>
>>54710255
>Hasn't read any of the thread
>>
>>54710279
It has infinite ammo. It can demolish every obstacle in its path and then blast the rubble out of the way given enough time.

Guns are VERY loud, to the Romans it will sound as if Jupiter himself walks the earth. Soldiers would shit their britches and run for the hills or drop to their knees and pray for salvation. This is like if a spacecraft appeared over the U.S and started orbital bombardment, and every nuke in the world bounced harmlessly off its hull.
>>
Assuming you were firing nonstop, how many rounds could the Abrams put downrange before the crew passes out due to fumes?
>>
>>54710279
>It can just bulldozer through the buildings until the streets fit IT.

Which part of...
>And going through the buildings is a hollywood fantasy at best.
...did you not understand, my friend?

It can go through a small hut, maybe an American paper house.
Real buildings are a no-go. You run a high probability of getting stuck, all of your unshielded equipment gets fucked up, the cannon would be rendered inoperable, a slightly bigger building caving in over you would mean the end of you and your crew.
>>
>>54710375
the crew doesn't have all the time however
>>
>>54710375
>It can demolish every obstacle in its path and then blast the rubble out of the way given enough time.

Ever seen just how much explosive power do you need to blow up the ancinet buildings?
Tanks are not made for razing buildings. They can do it, but it woul take ages.

Also, the people inside need to sleep as well.
Fuck up the gears or simply plug the main gun while they snooze off and you're golden.
>>
>>54710432
Are you fucking retarded?

If that tank can't fit in the streets, it can just keep driving in the streets while bulldozering the buildings alongside the street. The wreckage that falls on the tank will be minimal since the tank will only pulverize the sides alongside the road.
>>
>>54706896
>>54706908
>>54706928
>>54707137
>>54706986
Whenever people pit Modern Earth vs a Fantasy World they always make the lowest fantasy world imaginable. Because if you put Earth against mages who can summon national disasters, mind control and summon intangible enemies then earth's chances go vastly down, it's why in HFY stories humans get into the boxing ring with Salarians and play chess against Krogans and not the other way around.
>>
>>54710598
>The wreckage that falls on the tank will be minimal since the tank will only pulverize the sides alongside the road.
just because you can shrug off bullets doesnt mean you can shrug off a building

i wonder if you can trigger explosive reactive armor with chunks of masonry
>>
>>54710375
> It can demolish every obstacle in its path and then blast the rubble out of the way given enough time.

Can't deal with a ditch in any meaningful way, though. Especially not if the Romans fill it in and bury it.

The M1 Abrams also isn't airtight, so flooding the ditch with water is also a viable way to kill the crew and, thereby, the tank.
>>
>>54710800
You're not driving through buildings. You're driving on a road. You're just driving through the walls of the buildings alongside the road.

Also, do Abrams have reactive armour? I thought reactive armour was a Russia only thing because they're too cheap to get into advanced material sciences.
>>
>>54710918
>The M1 Abrams also isn't airtight, so flooding the ditch with water is also a viable way to kill the crew and, thereby, the tank.
Errr what? I'm pretty sure Abrams are NBC sealed.
>>
>>54702655
The romans could cross rivers and the Abrams can't. Romans win.
>>
>>54710923
Yeah, and how many of those walls are you driving through load bearing? There's going to be a lot of second stories toppling onto you.

The Abrams has ERA as part of the TUSK package, the Israelis use it a lot.

>>54710934
They use overpressure to keep contaminants out, like in hospitals. Cheaper and easier to pump excess filtered air into the compartment than seal every gap, especially when you have a big hole called a main gun to reload. You need to get caulked up for fording.
>>
>>54708419
Filthy xenos. And like other anon said the only thing that can stop a Bolo is another Bolo.

The Mark I was 100 tons and an Abrams is 62 tons so the concept isnt that far fetched. Hell, the german Maus or whatever its name was (the one with a design only) was going to be 1,000 tons
>>
>>54702655
The Romans would just have to wait for it to run out of fuel

Those tanks are big gas guzzlers
>>
Alternate idea!

A full Pax Romana Legion and its supply and siege train get frozen in time and awake in the year 1000, and now have to march on Rome to reclaim it from the Pope and reinstate the real Pontifex Maximus.

What happens?
>>
>>54711097
The Maus was 188 tons and 2 prototype were actually made.
You're thinking of the Landkreuzer.
>>
>>54708906
Doing that wouod actually just raise the sea level and drown yourself since your on the coast.
>>
>>54708250
>Why make a cart with better suspension? The slaves are there to drive them and we don't care about those
A smoother ride would mean goods, particularly fragile ones can be more reliably transported and remain high quality.
Meaning greater proffits from their sale.

Hydraulics would be of great benefit to their mason, builders and ship wrights.
>>
>>54711249

Fill just a part of an ocean then.
>>
Can a catapult dent the M1's armor?
>>
>>54711122
Well, the Swiss Guard are an actual military unit with actual modern guns (Along with their big old halberds and fabulous uniforms), so what happens is they get shot at by the soldiers in front of them enough to force them back, and then Italy's proper military surrounds them, and they probably surrender after their outer ranks get shot at for aggression.
Trained modern soldiers would win against a formation of men without modern weapons. I don't think it would be a complete slaughter, because the Romans aren't suicidal, but it would definitely end in favor of the modern side.
>>
>>54711355
No. It might be able to fuck up some of the optics, and damage the machine guns. It might be able to dent the barrel of the cannon.

But that doesn't matter because it wouldn't be able to hit the tank. If it's moving, even at a crawling pace, it's impossible to hit with a catapult. If it's stationary, it's a very small target being attacked by a very inaccurate weapon. Catapults miss against city walls. The chances of them hitting a tank are minimal at best.
>>
>>54711359
>Well, the Swiss Guard are an actual military unit with actual modern guns
Not in the year 1000 CE.
>>
>>54711396
Oh, I missed that part.
Well, in the year 1000, the proper Romans probably win in the short term, but if the Pope escapes or a new one is emergency elected, there's a good chance that a crusade is called against Rome itself to take it back. And in that case, they lose.
>>
>>54711359
He said the year 1000, you moron. Gunpowder hadn't even been invented then.
>>
>>54711423
Actually, gunpowder had been around for a couple centuries by then. It just wasn't in Europe.
>>
Romans.
Bag heads in the Middle East have gotten lucky and taken out a handful with molotovs. Roman is smart enough to handle one.
>>
>>54706406
>>54706420
your opinions are retarded and don't belong on this board (nor do any political stances)

but, to be fair, there's a board for you, friend. You're 100% free to post that thread on /pol/ or /b/
>>
>>54702824

I think you're underestimating the tank's range and speed. It can hit accurately from a mile away, see even further than that even at night, and drive faster than any horse.

It depends on the tactics the TC uses, but why bother engaging their armies directly? Hose them down from afar while you do 45mph barreling straight to Rome. GPS won't be around, but IIRC they have mapping programs that cover the world's geography (which would have only changed a little over 2000 years).

As for pits, the M1 can engage targets from far enough away that even if it couldn't see the pit via thermal, it would be hard to get the tank onto a particular patch of ground, or even to get close to it.

But worse, the tank drives so fast that it goes faster than the speed the Romans can send news. By the time the messenger arrives with news, the tank's already there.
>>
To everyone going
>but the tankers need to sleep sometime!

They're tankers, but they're not that stupid, the four of them would quickly work out a staggered sleeping schedule that kept them all relatively well rested, with only one crew member at a given time being asleep.

Hell, if they're REALLY smart, they'll try to train themselves for polyphasic sleep of some kind.
>>
>>54702949

That illustrates the Romans' problem. Masada was a fixed location trying to hold out against a mobile enemy with infinite time and firepower.

As they say in the Army, if you can see it, you can thump it.
>>
>>54705577
isnt modern-ish powder nitric acid and cotton?
>>
Romans
Thousands of casualties though, but once a great deal of romans reach the tank and gather in its blind points they can start setting the thing on fire and kill the crew due heatstroke or asphixiation
>>
How long can M1 Abrahams operate effectively without maintainance assuming it doesn't just get stuck in the mud?
>>
>>54702655
Well, it would eventually end up ruling one small part of the world which the romans will build a big wall around. Given that Roman roads can't support its weight and certainly no bridge can it'll get stuck somewhere almost certainly, probably rather quickly.
>>
>>54702655
Assuming it's some sort of hellbeast who automatically runs without a crew, a death by a thousand scratches will wear down the tank, but only after it's dealt so much damage the whole situation is a Pyrrhic victory at best. It could also get trapped I guess.
Otherwise, just wait for the crew to get tired/claustrophobic and kill them one by one. Maybe they would figure out a way to stay in the tank indefinitely, but I doubt they would pilot well after, say, six months.
>>
>>54711613
I will say they get stuck really easily - one was tested in Europe, not too far from where I like, turns out in Roman time Europe it would get stuck all the time.
>>
>>54703202
>We don't go to Angryboxhome.
>It makes the box angry.
>>
>>54703202
Loled
>>
>>54704492
What a story
>>
>>54711525
Gun cotton is made of nitrocellulose. Modern smokeless powders usually are extruded mixtures which do contain nitrocellulose among other things. This is what's in Ball propellant (type of modern smokless powder used in stuff like NATO rounds)

>40 to 70 percent nitrocellulose
>10 to 60 percent nitroglycerin
>3 to 7 percent ethyl centralite
>1 to 5 percent dibutyl phthalate
>1 to 5 percent polyester adipate
>1 to 5 percent rosin
>1 percent diphenylamine
>1 percent ethyl acetate
>1 percent potassium nitrate
>1 percent potassium sulfate
>less than 1 percent graphite
>less than 1 percent N-nitrosodiphenylamine

So, yeah, good luck figuring out what it is without knowledge of chemical analysis or some idea of what nitrocellulose is.
>>
>>54707866
>>54707830
Fun fact, chemistry in the past often required tasting the chemicals worked with. Foods are called acidic not because they contain acid, but because acid was once a word describing the taste, and any compound determined to be tasting like it was an acid.

And this is post-alchemy. Alchemists did the same, and I bet someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject matter could describe even more batshit customs.
>>
>>54711111

You wasted fucking quints to say THAT?

You can't run out of infinite fuel. And now /tg/'s karma is fucked for sure.
>>
File: 1254982957523.jpg (192KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1254982957523.jpg
192KB, 1024x819px
>>
>>54711916
>no helmet
>>
>>54702655
The Romans. They have so many logistics advantages over the tank crew, it's ridiculous.

The tank is impregnable to the Romans. But the tank crew can't stay inside the tank 24/7, for the rest of their lives. They need to eat, drink, sleep, defecate, and get basic exercise like walking around. All of these (except possibly sleeping) would require the crewmen to step outside the tank, making them vulnerable to Roman ambushes. A dead crewman would cripple the tank's combat effectiveness permanently. An injured crewman would be even worse, tying up the crew's resources keeping them alive, which will likely be in vain due to the poor level of medicine of this era.
>>
File: Islam.png (209KB, 887x2371px) Image search: [Google]
Islam.png
209KB, 887x2371px
>>54703878
>and 99.99% of Muslims are perfectly capable of not blowing people up.
That's where you're wrong boyo

> as long as they aren't blowing up other people in the process
Global Sharia law is okay as long as they stop the car bombings cool
>>
>>54708316
>tfw you will never live in the world where the Roman Empire invented the locomotive and forever dominated the world

Why live
>>
>>54711916
>That gap in the armor where there's absolutely nothing protecting her vital organs that continues down her abdomen for no reason
>Shield is like, half the size of the shield the guy down the line has
Every fucking time I find something new which triggers muh autism.

Still for some reason the character design really tickles my pickle. 9/10 would be historically inaccurate with.
>>
>>54702655
It takes more than fuel and ammunition to operate a tank. They need regular maintenance.

Tank crews also need to eat, drink, and sleep. If they can't leave the tank without getting legionary'd, they have a limited period of effectiveness.
>>
File: 1340202522920.jpg (84KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
1340202522920.jpg
84KB, 800x580px
>>
File: 1319484684387.jpg (131KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1319484684387.jpg
131KB, 1024x682px
>>
File: 1268128558542.jpg (177KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1268128558542.jpg
177KB, 800x600px
>>
File: 1470178968839.jpg (445KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470178968839.jpg
445KB, 1200x900px
>>
File: 1474438041021.png (645KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1474438041021.png
645KB, 1400x1050px
>>54702858
These two make my pants tight.
>>
File: 1391890662383.png (261KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1391890662383.png
261KB, 500x375px
>>
File: 10 out of 10.jpg (288KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
10 out of 10.jpg
288KB, 1024x819px
>>54712016
>>
File: 2 out of 10.jpg (290KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
2 out of 10.jpg
290KB, 1024x819px
>>54712447
>>
>>54710636
>when the high mages Weather Control a hurricane into the Indian Ocean and unleash a horde of Wraiths of the middle east, so you nuke the other side of the portal and send in the drones, so they send an invisible agent to sink Hawaii with a kraken, so you put mini-nukes on the drones

>and then everyone has to go home and lick their wounds, they try to clean up the radiation while you try to kill the kraken and bust the wraiths

>bustin' makes you feel good, though
>>
>>54713319
I just want you to know that I hate you
>>
>>54706727
>Enslaved Bunnygirls
Gooks did the right thing for once.
>>
>>54713543
That's fine, I wasn't expecting a standing ovation or anything.
>>
>>54702655
I will go with Romans. The tank have to make just one mistake and it is finished. If you get it into a pit trap out of which it can't exist ROME won.
>>
>>54702765
>>54702793
Obviously it'd basically be unstoppable wherever you dropped it in the Empire. But would the tank be able to cross Roman bridges though? Without modern infastructure or accurate maps the biggest risks it'd face would be environmental dangers like having to ford rivers or accidentally driving into unexpected terrain like pre-modern marshlands.
>>
File: assB.jpg (6KB, 196x223px) Image search: [Google]
assB.jpg
6KB, 196x223px
>>54702655
Needs lubricant, spare parts and suitable terrain. Optics can be clogged and greek fire used if the crew opens up the hatch. Crew also needs food and rest.
>>
>>54706908
>lots of people had problems with GATE because the author was nationalist
It's only good when USA does it or...?
>>
>>54702655
Fling poo at it until the crew gets sick and has to get out.
>>
>>54703016

Yeah don't forget that one abrams that took multiple rounds in the first tank battle at night and kept going. I mean, just fucking break already.

The m1 sucks so bad that when it gets damaged it breaks.
>>
>>54706154
>taking Principia Mathematica
are you retarded? Principia Mathematica is the most useless thing to have for purposes of kickstarting mathematics. It's about the PRINCIPLES of mathematics laid out with an axiomatic foundation, it's completely and utterly useless for purposes of applied math, if you only have vol. 1
>>
>>54702655
How deep a pit can a tank climb out of? 'cause I think the Romans could just dig a hole about 10' deep, 20' long, sides properly shored so it doesn't have a slope...
>>
>>54714467
Why the fuck would the tank crew drive into the said pit ?
>>
File: terrific.jpg (132KB, 642x963px) Image search: [Google]
terrific.jpg
132KB, 642x963px
>>54702655
ELEPHANTS
OVER
THE
ALPS
>>
>>54714517
>place fairly thick brush over pit, enough for a company to stand on
>not enough for a tank to sit on
>sacrifice selves for glory of rome, allowing the beast to roll over us,
>>
>>54703498
>That'd be impossible
Well, let us consider the bits and bobs: we have:
>Infinite fuel
>Infinite ammunition
>A piece of highly technically advanced equipment from 2017-ish
>A full tank crew.

Now, let's assume the worst: the tank gets immobilized in a specially dug pit where the gun can no longer traverse. They whole crew is dead because someone opened the hatch and let sharp point things in. What do the Romans have left?
>Fuel
A never-ending supply of burnable liquid which can be extracted and analyzed. The Abrams power plant is a multifuel jet turbine that will happily work on everything from high test Gasoline to the worst grade Kerosine. Oil Lamps have existed since the first century, so we can assume that Romans would understand the concept of liquids that burn.
>Ammo
Modern ballistics could easily be reverse engineered by the Romans. First, cut open one of the machine gun's bullets, then study the materials inside. Romans were engineers. They would construct a primitive, labor intensive method of breaking down our advanced gunpowder (carbon, saltpeter, sulfur) or they would just repackage it for their own ends. How many 50cal rounds do you think it would take to make a stick of dynamite? How many slaves would they commit to the project?
>The mechanical bits
Did Romans understand the concept of a screw? Yes. The screw-pump was a thing for you. So, it might take them a lot of work and at least one stripped screw, but eventually they would figure out how to disassemble 90% of the tank by removing fastenings where accessible.
>Computer
Treated as a curiosity. Impossible to replicate, it is stored for future generations to learn from, or broken accidentally.
>>
>>54714517
If it's covered by, say, thin planks or wicker, with shrubbery atop that? Even thermal vision would just see it as "the ground".

You've got slave labor, so Rome could totally just set a fucking ton of these traps all over the place, near wherever the tank is, on route to major cities, places where the tank has returned to...
>>
>>54703878
The proper response to "you advocate genocide" is "No, I advocate Reformation! The Protestant Reformation of Christianity was the first step in curbing the voilence inherent in Christian
>>
>>54715326
... Philosophy. Fucking hit the send button too early.
>>
>>54703083
If this was true, they wouldn't have kept fighting the Carthaginians.
>>
The Soviets did it with hammers. Unless we've had tremendous advances in hatch technology in the last 60 years, that'll still work.
>>
>>54714672
They fucked right?
>>
File: T-34.png (141KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
T-34.png
141KB, 300x225px
>>54702655
Infinite M1 Abrams tanks with infinite fuel and ammunition vs one of these fueled and armed with weaponised glory.
>>
File: mfwuranus.png (48KB, 366x368px) Image search: [Google]
mfwuranus.png
48KB, 366x368px
CONSIDER THIS!

You only have the standard combat loadout worth of fuel and ammunition.

>40 rounds of main gun ammunition
>M240 7.62 MG (COAX)/Loader's M240 MG 10,800 rounds
>Smoke Grenades 24 rounds
>Commander's 50 Caliber MG 1,000 rounds
>Fuel Capacity 498 gal (1,885 liters) / 505 gal (1,907 liters)
>Cruising Range 275 Miles

You can place yourself anywhere in the Roman Empire that you want.
>>
>>54716681
I chose Pompeii 2 weeks before the volcano erupts. From there, I make a decision.
Either:

A) Enforce a massive evacuation from the city, removing the disaster and the archeological findings from the timestream, thus resulting in the inevitable victory of the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

B) Force all the Legions to come destroy me, but lock them in a stalemate until the volcano erupts. With the entirety of the Roman military vaporized, the empire will fall before its inception and Europe will never become a colonial superpower, ensuring the Mongol Khanate supremacy over the world.
>>
>>54702858
>The tank would remain intact even after a very large fall,
no it won't.
>>
>>54703103
I'm thinking the Roman will breaks first. Especially after Rome is gone.
>>
>>54702655
a lucky gladius getting stuck in the drive wheels can detrack the tank.
>>
>>54716798
>wanting Commies to win
>wanting the Finnish to win
>>
>>54715457
Subpar perfomance against even panzer IVs despite superior stats on paper.
>>
>>54704407
Literally just make a lot of team rocket esc traps.
>>
>>54707056
they can bury it in the ditch. Technically it is not defeated but who gives a fuck.
>>
>>54716798
>resulting in the inevitable victory of the Soviet Union in the Cold War.
Wat
>>
>>54716876
I don't want (((Commies))) to win. I want the west to lose, or I wouldn't be upsetting the timestream by tankdropping into Roman territory in the first place.
>>
>>54707137
>>54706896
SO any good GATE fanfic to to read? possibily with worldbuilding.
>>
>>54717043
>wanting the west to lose
And a ching chong nip nong to you, good sir.
>>
>>54717222
Name one scenario where a tank going to war against the Roman Empire ends with the west winning. Protip: you can't.
And furthermore, no west means no Social Liberal Democracy and ergo no SJW's. It's literally a win-win.
>>
>>54717301
>It's literally a win-win.
Except for the utter erasure of pretty much all major and successful human civilization.

Really, you'd be better served tank-dropping into the enlightenment era and preventing classical liberalism from ever arising.
>>
>>54711249
>>54711325
>>54708906
The time needed to do that with 24/24 firing will get the Romans time to evolve and build their own Abrams.
>>
>>54702674
Actually, if the tank hasn't got a crew, it might be an OGRE, in which case I vote for the OGRE.
>>
File: 313.jpg (43KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
313.jpg
43KB, 512x384px
>>54705939
Hello, base? I need a ride; my tank is... sleepy.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.