[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, what effect, positive, negative, or otherwise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: li117_fireball[1].jpg (86KB, 620x419px) Image search: [Google]
li117_fireball[1].jpg
86KB, 620x419px
Realistically, what effect, positive, negative, or otherwise would wearing armour have against blasts of fire towards you?
>>
Depends on the armour.
>>
Depends on the fire.
>>
>>54702030
I'll be talking about steel plate.

Extraordinary negative. Steel soaks up heat, so if you had it anywhere near your skin, you would have a hot mass giving you 2nd/3rd degree burns. Even if you had on wool undergarmets, the radient heat would end up passing through given how close it is

It would not protect against the kenetic effects in any major way either, as the air rushes past you and knocks you over. It's possible that the armor would do more damage to you.

Fire fighters do not and have not ever used steel armor. They have used leather, so if you're talking about leather armor, then yeah it'd help I reckon.
>>
Cool flame is any fire under 400c, thus you can assume "real" fire is anything above. So, flames of 750f and bove are going to fuck you up depending on temp, size, and duration. Your best best is to block with a shield.
>>
>>54702058
Mail, plate, leather, gambeson, take your pick.
>>
>>54702130
>>54702176
Ty anons, that pretty much answers my question
>>
>>54702130
We've gone over this countless times

The amount of heat, and the time it takes to make metal hot will easily kill an unarmored person long before that point. That is to say, an unarmored person exposed to that much fire is a crisp while the platemail guy is merely uncomfortable and possibly burned but still alive. Also platemail suits typically had padding and underclothes between plate and flesh.

For a brief gout of fire, plate armor would be very helpful as it would keep the fire (and/or incendiary chemicals) off the wearer's body without igniting. Even in longer exposure, it would be a lot better than nothing. The exception might be something like a burning building, which is less "blasts of fire" than "constant heat".
>>
>>54702664
On a related note, a plate armor suit is also helpful against electricity because it can effectively form a faraday cage around the wearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxDgd3D_bU
>>
>>54702130
>>54702664

Beat me to it. There's a big difference between constant radiant heat (like from a house fire) and a single blast of fire (like from a wizard spell or most versions of fire breath).

Plate mail is only gonna a big issue if you have to deal with constant building heat. The "heat metal spell" is probably a good depiction of it.
>>
File: Ask not the Eldar a question.jpg (177KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
Ask not the Eldar a question.jpg
177KB, 600x384px
>>54702075
Give one example where that depends.
>>
File: 1474734768177.png (819KB, 671x673px) Image search: [Google]
1474734768177.png
819KB, 671x673px
>>54702058
>Depends on the armour.

Gambeson, mail, lamilar, brigandine, or plate.

>>54702075
>Depends on the fire.

a bucket of burning pitch, a blast from a Greek fire siphon, napalm, white phosphorus, dragon's breath, a fireball spell, the inside of a burning building or the elemental plane of fire.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.