[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you go about restructuring the D&D gold economy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Adventure.jpg (2MB, 1000x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure.jpg
2MB, 1000x1045px
How would you go about restructuring the D&D gold economy into something equivalent to the prices of equipment, commodities and services in late 1800s America? I'm trying to run a fantasy based in the Industrial Revolution and the prices using gold pieces are much too weird to work with adequately.
>>
>>54692017

Assume daily wage for unskilled laborers of about $1-$2.

Assume cost of WEPON about $8.00 to $50.00.

Assume cost of room and board to be like 50c/d.

Frontier America, right?
>>
>>54692101

Cancel that, room and board should be like 20-40c/diem
>>
File: F1962.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
F1962.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
>>54692101
>>54692124
Well, Frontier America set later than expected, somewhere in the 1860s at the very least. The cost of weapons, however, is really useful, thanks. I've scoured among the web to find some useful information such as prices and wages, like these two:
http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/prices-for-1860-1872-1878-and-1882-groceries-provisions-dry-goods-more/
http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/what-did-people-earn-in-1860/
>>
>>54692196

The Prairie Farmer, which is available on the Gutenberg Project, should provide some good examples for how the economy would work too.

It'll ALSO provide some good examples for people being obsessed with magnetism and ads for curing diseases like catarrh and consumption care of Dr. T.A. Slocum, which is essential for any old-timey campaign.
>>
>>54692266
Most appreciated good sir! Do you think it'll give some examples regarding military expenses as well?
>>
>>54692362

Military stuff no, but any info on weapons and stuff should provide good info on what military stuff would be, since officers had a bad habit of using their own personal weapons - Custer used his own revolvers at the Big Horn because he felt the long barreled cavalry revolvers were too clumsy, for example, and John Kellogg brought a Martini-Henry rifle.

Call of Cthulhu prices, adjusted downward for inflation, should be pretty useful for that stuff.
>>
>>54692635
Nice, thanks. And last question if you wouldn't mind amusing me. Given the development of cheap steel production in the 1800s, and with this being fantasy and all, do you think the concept of mass produced melee weapons would be a thing? They'd most likely be cheaper than guns and would have the upside of being less costly to handle. Swords, spears, halberds, and such being in the likes of a Sears catalogue.
>>
>>54692933
If there is demand to justify a factory producing a minimum of 500 mass produced items of the same type a day, there will be supply. If it's less than that, there'll probably be at least some standardized molds unless the need drops below 10 per day and artisan.

If demand gets to 10.000 or more you can expect industrial towns to start popping up that have multiple factories competing with each other like Detroit did for the automobile.
>>
>>54693781
Excellent. Thanks sir, the information was really useful.
>>
>>54693868
Also, towns like Detroit make a lot of sense if preproduction takes place there too. I'd imagine the “close combat town“ to be surrounded by animal enclosures to produce the leather, have a highway leading to a forge town as well as a university with a strong focus on engineering and artisanry.

At those high production numbers, branding becomes a thing too. You'd no longer sell a sword made by Ford, but a Ford Model S with distinctive design.
>>
>>54693964
That sounds fun. I actually have some areas perfect for that, a city-state that produces the rest of the country's military and police force but with ample enough natural spaces. And branding seems like a good way to establish competition between producers. What's the difference between production and preprofuction though?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.