[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever used an Apparatus of Kwalish/the Crab in their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: apparatus-of-kwalish-0.jpg (434KB, 1247x798px) Image search: [Google]
apparatus-of-kwalish-0.jpg
434KB, 1247x798px
Has anyone ever used an Apparatus of Kwalish/the Crab in their game? Seems like the finest example of 'useless yet fun' I've ever seen.
>>
Never used it, and unless your campaign starts with it/features it heavily I can't see it being a very useful item since its primary underwater travel function can be accomplished by a medium-low level wizard.

Since the item has existed in D&D since first edition AD&D I would guess it was an item from an adventure that Gygax was fond of, and decided to include in the sourcebook for kicks.
>>
>>54680415
Yup, I used it as a submarine for a lava log flume escape from Gauntlgrym after the elemental that fuels it exploded. Players dug it.
>>
>>54680415
I played an animated Apparatus of Kwalish once, briefly. It was a silly campaign.

>>54680558
>I can't see it being a very useful item since its primary underwater travel function can be accomplished by a medium-low level wizard.
I always feel like D&D makes exploration too easy.
>>
>>54680415
Our campaign is heavily nautical based in a world of archipelagos. This was one of the best peices of loot until someone died stuck inside it because their greed for gold. (They went too deep)
>>
>>54680415
Our DM once used it, or actually a trio of them as means of escape for our party from an underwater cavern deep in the sea, after we were sucked in by a whirlpool created by a Kraken's storm (too low level to fight it anyway). They were found somewhat damaged, underwater in the main cavern, quite deep in a crevice, but not too deep for us to fetch them with Telekinesis and some swimming.
The ensuing trip back ashore was one of the most nerve-wracking travels in all the time I've played D&D, as we didn't have a clue what was going on outside, and whether the Kraken was still lying about in the area. Neither did we know if we had enough air for all the way.
Eventually we surfaced to a rather nice weather, and our journey continued with our folding boat. We promptly delivered the apparatuses, along with an intact corpse of an Aboleth, and a disturbing nether creature from the Nine Hells, to the mages' guild. Later on, all this was turned into some kind of a super intelligent psionic construct, that eventually fell into hands of my Wizard.
Good times.
>>
>>54680558
Wouldn't it be more useful in a low-magic game then?
>>
>>54684369
An enchanted item like this is pretty high-magic, unless you refluffed it at being technology.
>>
File: Strutters+exit+WB.jpg (137KB, 968x600px) Image search: [Google]
Strutters+exit+WB.jpg
137KB, 968x600px
>>54684996
Lost ancient technology from a mysterious past, you say? Discovered in forgotten caverns far from the light of day, you say?

Never heard of em.
>>
>>54680415
We gave one to a colony of cranium rats.

Good times. Good times.
>>
>>54683467
Do you have the stats for that construct? Cause that sounds awesome
>>
>>54685503
It's not a construct. It's basically a fantasy submarine.

Paizo recently released a book with an upgraded version that can go EVEN DEEPER based off an octopus.
>>
>>54685843
I meant the construct the guy made using the Apparatus, Aboleth corpse, and Nether creature
>>
>>54680415
I haven't used one but I sure as hell want to now.
>>
>>54680415
Yes, we got it as a reward from the Harpers for solving a crime. Our halfling used it once I think.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.