[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What setting has the most complex lore told through the least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 81obunwA4-L.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
81obunwA4-L.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
What setting has the most complex lore told through the least amount of exposition?
>>
Hotline Miami was surprisingly full of that stuff
>>
>>54658012
Mario
>>
>>54658012
Iko/colossus
>>
Super Mario
>>
>>54658184
That's true, also both games are truly different in their narratives but bring essentially the same : the construction of a lore-heavy setting while giving the feeling of a complete mess (the first one is more or less empty in term of dialogues but carry a lot, while in the second, the true lore is hidden behind a layer of strange dialogues)
>>
>>54658595
too bad the second game was sooo much worse tahn the first
>>
>>54658621
Sad but true (but I must say that I went back to the 2nd recently, and it felt much better than in my memories. still not as good as the first one)
>>
Dark Souls
>>
>>54658012
While not in the same vein as a game like Dark Souls in term of exposition, I feel that the Banner Saga has this kind of potential : you are thrown in an extremely lore heavy setting where all the characters seems to know what's going on, and you learn the lore throught some kind of everyday post-apo life, without a huge exposition (yes, you can read all the stuff of the world map, but assume you don't, and even if you do, it just feels like you are thrown in the world). It's pretty subtle. The biggest exposition is at the start "The gods are dead", you live the dusk of a world you don't know
>>
>>54658012
Dune, at least in the early books.
>>
>>54658856
In that case, many SF books are like that (except Asimov, Asimov loves exposition), like most of K. dick works
>>
File: HLD_Screenshot_01_camp_1080.png (122KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HLD_Screenshot_01_camp_1080.png
122KB, 1920x1080px
>>54658012
Hyper Light Drifter manages to convey an awful lot considering there's not even any actual text beyond the game menu (aside from the coded obelisks, anyway).
>>
>>54658751
SotFS
>>
Bloodborne, in the Souls mold.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.