[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with players travelling long distances across

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: world map.png (782KB, 1190x904px) Image search: [Google]
world map.png
782KB, 1190x904px
How do you deal with players travelling long distances across continents/countries or across seas? Players have been doing it frequently in my game and I'm not really sure what else to do besides occasional random encounters, or telling the players that there's something noteworthy in the distance.
>>
>>54634486
>make speed matter
>include choices that influence speed
>ration concerns
>travel through unknown territory
>coordinating various groups
>racing and chasing others
>conveyance breakdowns
Mind your players tolerance for bookkeeping.
>>
>>54634486
Play less FFVII you cuck
>>
>>54634486
The travelling is the meat of the quest. there should be set pieces along the way, key areas to pass through, sights to see, etc. The fellowship didn't just teleport to mount doom and be done with it.
>>
>>54635550
This
Players seem to take it for granted that they hop on some horses, and just rife the fuck off for 200 miles to castle shitsipper to fuck up some evil autists.
Horses and people need food, and water. Lots of both for the horses. Where are they finding all of it? How are they finding it?
Shit, that's a fucking adventure hook right there: where's the fucking water?
>>
>>54635604
>Horses and people need food, and water.
How do you avoid overly complex book keeping?
>>
>>54636113
A person needs three pounds of food and a half gallon of water per day. A horse needs fifteen pounds of food and about five gallons of water a day. Multiply the number of days you're traveling by eighteen for number of pounds of food you need, and by five and a half for gallons of water you need for rider and animal. Ignore the horse requirements if they're travelling by foot. An hour and a successful Survival roll means you only need x2/3 water and food that day, a critical success means you have gathered/hunted enough for the whole day. Obviously, losing three hours a day if you're traveling cheap (and missing meals if you fail your rolls, which means fatigue and penalties) is not going to get you someplace fast.

Make one roll over the course of a week (this adds a day of travel), or once over the course of a month (this adds about four days of travel) to see if you get away with only x2/3 of what's strictly necessary, critical success reducing it to x1/2, x1/3, or none, depending on how kind you are. Ignore requirements for water in places with lots of water (rivers, lakes, etc). Penalize rolls for desolate terrain, grant a bonus for abundant terrain.

It's pretty simple. You don't need a spreadsheet. Remember to account for encumbrance for carrying all of those supplies (better bring a beast of burden and a cart) which will slow you down, meaning more random encounters.
>>
>>54634486
Play banner saga. Most of it is travelling. You have supplies that run out, but if you travel too long without breaks morale of your army falls. Along the way there's a lot of random encounters that make you lose or gain supplies and morale, usually depending on your choices. Some might reward you for stopping for a couple of days.
And it's just damn flavorful.
>>
What you are doing is fine unless you want to go really hard into "this is what it is actually like to travel a long time."

Really the only thing I am careful about is elapsed time. Even then, that's mostly for personal fetish reasons.
>>
>>54636994

>personal fetish reasons

I can't decide if I want to know or not
>>
>>54634486
Run it like a tv series. One episode(one session) - one noteworthy adventure. Like "provision stop" in an island with ancient ruins, pirate attack with a plot twist or a murder mystery on board.
>>
>>54634486
Airships
>>
>>54636434
well i've got a clreic who creates water. so fuck that.
>>
>>54641777
And this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>54634486
Sounds fine to me, just keep it varied.

If you can though, and this is something I've never been able to even pull off, try to put in big jokes in small sections. Like the players seeing the kingdom they're travelling through collapsing in small snapshots. Peasants getting restless, Knights on the move, a couple of towns deserted, then when they finally get close to the capital there's a bit more smoke on the horizon than usual.

Might be good for a giggle.

Otherwise just keep track of time passed and do a bit of Oregon Trail shit if your players feel like it. Ask them first.
>>
>>54642881
Dysentery everywhere!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.