[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D- Depth of Lore for campaign Hello lads- a lot of DM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

D&D- Depth of Lore for campaign

Hello lads- a lot of DM guides I'm reading suggest not trying to go heavy with lore, but I'm curious if there is a way insert heavy lore into a campaign for a group that love high-fantasy stories while keeping the campaign fun

While it wouldn't be excessive detail like a wanna-be tolkien, it would still be heavy enough to give depth and fantasy to the world . Or should I not even bother because of the difficulty and the risk of boring the players?

Example: players meet npc which talks about the geographic regions history in the form of passed down stories that set the stage for larger political events both within the region and in the world while also foreshadowing adventure locations and explanations of why some events may be occurring. The overall story probably takes 4 minutes overall
>>
>>54633124
The key to infodumping setting lore is to work it into conversations off-handedly in a way that hints at the facts without outright stating them because the NPC assumes that the PCs are familiar with what's being referenced.

I usually end up worldbuilding by starting with a very small defined area and then just making up locations and persons of note on the spot when an NPC is talking.
>>
File: Old Worn Paper4.jpg (128KB, 1201x1062px) Image search: [Google]
Old Worn Paper4.jpg
128KB, 1201x1062px
>>54633124
Does it have to be told? Can it be read?

I write letters between NPCs and print them out. When the PCs loot the bodies or search the barracks or cultist quarters, they can find the documents.

You could even have an NPC give them a book and you just give them the only interesting chapter in the book as soon as someone sits around a campfire reading it one night.

Attached is one the templates I use for the letters and things, there are shitloads of these on the web.
>>
File: gondola-tg.png (101KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
gondola-tg.png
101KB, 1400x1050px
Just being able to have your NPC's answer any question a PC may have (Within reason of the NPC's personal knowledge), helps a lot.

You want the lore to be accessible, but not shoved in your face. Describe things in detail when needed, but don't have peopling walking up to your PC's in the street and start spouting their nation's history. Just keep it natural.

If the PC's don't want lore, they won't ask questions. Most players in a real game will want some amount of lore, and they will look for it. I promise.
>>
File: 1499843057964.jpg (33KB, 388x604px) Image search: [Google]
1499843057964.jpg
33KB, 388x604px
>>54633180
>>54633220
>>54633243

All great suggestions, thank you.

I was going to have the PCs meet a character on the road who, if they allowed him to tag along, would inform them about the geography and flora (rewarding them with abilities to forage) while also providing lore of the region that begins to unravel the grand revelation as to why there are sketchy zombie creatures rising from the earth: because of a druidic city underground corrupted by vampires; which fits in with some of the character motivations (druid, necromancer, and guy who wants to become a vampire)

But the important thing is he will only talk about these things if he is asked, that way I don't suffocate them.

I want to provide lore for those who like the lore building, but everything I read seems to advise against it. Your suggestions are great and I thank you for the help
>>
>>54633368
If you use the letters idea, you can have correspondence between NPCs referencing noodle incidents.

Like the cultists are writing to each other gossiping about the scandals in the royal family or something.
>>
>>54633368

To further elaborate on how the npc was going to reveal the information:

The npc recently lost his grandmother who taught him the surrounding geography, and who wandered out to give herself a 'proper' death practiced by the people of the region that has been outlawed by the new government.

If the pcs are curious, he will go into more detail about the ritual, disclosing information about the landscape and people. He will also go into some more detail about the folklore beliefs of the people that live in the region, hinting about the complex powers that may be present.

I thought these were generally light ways to introduce lore that can be expanded upon by furthe questions, or could be left if enough lore was had for one session
>>
File: 1496762328012.png (47KB, 1056x587px) Image search: [Google]
1496762328012.png
47KB, 1056x587px
>>54633428
Seconding the inclusion of noodle incidents.

I also like using actual printed out notes for things. Whenever the party/a player receives some sort of letter, I'll always try to have a physical copy for the player to read. Adds a lot of personality to the game.
>>
>>54633220
>>54633428
>>54633539

Creative ideas lads, thank you.

Time to get writing, lol.
>>
File: 1497676881439.gif (2MB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497676881439.gif
2MB, 550x400px
>>54633709
Have fun, lad.
>>
>>54633368
I thought Gondola never spoke.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.