[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 31

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54618615

How do you like your undead?
>>
>>54625103
>How do you like your undead?
Dead
>>
Is Hoar the best god for a vengeance paladin towards an individual or organization in Sword Coast? I was thinking Hoar, Torm, Tempus or Lathander
>>
File: 1492557746256.jpg (22KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492557746256.jpg
22KB, 332x500px
Can I get some horror stories? I tried looking online but you guys always seem to have the funniest, out of left field bullshit ever. The worse they are the better.
>>
My Arcana Cleric is getting really serious with another adventurer and might retire soon to settle down and start a family. What's a fun class to play for a successor character that has helpful party support and utility, but can also fight people and be tough? Is it just paladin or bust?
>>
File: 3_Chandra_Torch_of_Defiance.png (239KB, 811x313px) Image search: [Google]
3_Chandra_Torch_of_Defiance.png
239KB, 811x313px
>>54625103
>>
File: giantStone.jpg (140KB, 852x1548px) Image search: [Google]
giantStone.jpg
140KB, 852x1548px
What's your favorite Giant out of the six standard varieties?
>>
File: Keldorn.jpg (61KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
Keldorn.jpg
61KB, 210x330px
>>54625136
I like Torm
>>
>>54625235
If you want to go full Narnia I'd say cloud giant, but otherwise I don't think I really like any of them. Hill giants are probably the easiest to use without having to make a significant place for them in the world
>>
>>54625235
Stone Giants are autistic. I like them.
>>
>>54625103
I like my undead evil and villainous.
>>
>>54625103
>undead
Braindead or fancy and flamboyant
>>
Guys I think I just broke my game: So my players had a bag of holding (they are lvl 3) and they were going to go to the 9 hells to save a NPC as part of a sidequest. They found a portal to it which is very small, basically you touch it with your pinkie and you teleport to the 9 hells or if you touch it with your ring finger you teleport to the farm realm.

The thing is they decided instead of using it they took the bag of holding and put in in a stick so they make a net, like a bug catcher one, and they trapped the portal in the bag of holding.

So what do? They carry around a portal and charge people to see it instead of doing my quest. I was going to not let them but they rolled a nat 20 to catch the portal so I have no excuse now.
>>
>>54625358
> I was going to not let them but they rolled a nat 20 to catch the portal so I have no excuse now
There's your first mistake
>>
>>54625235
Frost Giants
>>
>>54625358
You should have made it explode violently. Just have the demon or wizard responsible for creating the portal show up, slap their shit, and put it back.

Also you're an idiot.
>>
my new characetr is a new tiefling aasimar hyrid homebrew race who is an antipaladin and chosen of the gdos sorcerer and she is too strong. woTC neets to nerf tieflimar's ascended blod trait
>>
>>54625103
Anyone want to group homebrew up some more Origins for my Sorcerer rebalancing?
>>
Long story short, anons, I want to convert the Blood-Crowned Courtier tiefling subrace from 4e to 5e. Can I get some feedback on this result?

Tiefling Subrace: Blood-Crowned Courtier
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
Kissed By Hell: You have Resistance to Fire damage.
Diabolic Transformation: As an action, you can shapeshift into the form of a rampaging fiend. For 1 minute, you have Fire Immunity, inflict bonus Fire damage with all of your weapon attacks equal to your Charisma modifier, and increase your Strength modifier by +1. Your transformation ends prematurely if you are knocked unconscious, end your turn without having attacked a hostile creature or taken damage since your last turn, or choose to spend a bonus action to do so. Once you have used this transformation, you must complete a long rest before you can transform again.

For reference to the original version:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tiefling#4e
>>
>>54625358
4/10 you'll get some replies thinking that you're serious
>>
>>54625416
fuck off, namefag
>>
>>54625358
I would have had the bag of holding do the same thing it does when you put a portable hole in it, since the situation seems similar enough. Now that they're running around with it fuck if I know.

I have no idea what that "nat 20" would even be rolled for, but now I just assume this is some form of "hur nat 20 can do anything" meme bait bullshit. I should probably stop reading posts as I reply to them
>>
>>54625416
Stupid discordshit.
>>
What the fuck does a sledgehammer do? I can't find stats for it anywhere.
>>
>>54625409
Learn to spell or type properly before you shitpost jesus Christ.
>>
>>54625461
You probably wont find stats for a wrench, saw or a hammer either.
>>
>>54625416
Leave and never come back. You are not welcome herem
>>
>>54625455
We call it the Disc0red. You should be honored to have a god amongst men here.
>>
>>54625358
Have they opened the bag recently? Next time they do.. They see the sky above them with a large figure looking down on them holding the bag open from the other side. The figure is one of the players. The giant version of themselves reaches in, grabs the group and pulls them through the portal in a curious fashion. When they do they fall prone on the floor seemingly back where the portal was the first time with nothing unusual around. The bag of holding is now nonmagical and anything they had stored in it before is gone forever.

Don't fuck with the Astral Plane.

Although my advice if you don't want it to be too railroady, let them roll an opposed strength and if they roll a Nat20 let them grapple the giant version of themselves through the portal, who then joins them on their quest. They are pretty much the same stats except they are Gargantuan and have 30 Strength and 30 Constitution.
>>
>>54625409
>Oathbreaker
>Favored Soul
>Tiefling/Aasimar hybrid
>"Needs to be nerfed"
What are you, twelve?
>>
>>54625235

Cloud, definitely. Followed by Fire.
>>
>>54625380
I love critical successes and critical fumbles, I have players roll the percentile die every time they get a 1 to see what happens, I have this custom table with 100 events in case of a critical fumble.

But because I am a fair DM with a nat 20 I let them do cool stuff, my campaign is all about the rule of cool.
>>
>>54625472
>>54625461
Improvised Weapons

Sometimes characters don't have their weapons and have to attack with whatever is at hand. An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin.

Often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the GM's option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it were that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet.
>>
>>54625492
Why would you even reply to that post? It couldn't be more transparent
>>
>>54625489
This is a good idea, thank you.

I'll go with this.
>>
File: 1501433521290.png (448KB, 846x900px) Image search: [Google]
1501433521290.png
448KB, 846x900px
>>54625358
>magic item abuse
I feel no pity.
>>
Rolled for starting stats three times and this is what I got 4d6 subtract lowest roll

5166 - 17
5152 - 12
5245 - 14
5246 - 15
4155 - 14
1116 - 8

4246 - 14
5554 - 15
3556 - 16
3262 - 11
4142 - 10
3322 - 8

2434 - 11
3131 - 7
4312 - 9
1652 - 13
1541 - 10
4161 - 11

This is why I don't roll for stats.
>>
Hey guys, deeply sorry about the shitposting. I'll stop now.
>>
>>54625517
I'll assume this is bait, but if it's not then all I can say is that the conversation behind how to handle Nat 20s has been had over and over again. Let's just agree to disagree.
>>
>>54625518
A sledgehammer isn't just a weapon, it's a tool. A crowbar has stats to be used to give advantage to rip things open. I figure a sledgehammer may assist in breaking walls down or something
>>
>>54625517
Can I see the table?
>>
>>54625540
>Roll set 1
>Easily better than point buy
>Roll set 2
Still easily better than point buy
>Roll set 3
>Shit

As long as you aren't saying 'I don't like rolling for stats because I don't get super epic stats every time!' I guess you get a pass.
The problem with rolling for stats is that it gives people 'super epic' stats far too often.
>>
Anons? How enormously overpowered is this race?

Hutaakan
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Theocratic: You have Proficiency in Religion.
Stealthy: You have Proficiency in Stealth.
Hard to Kill: When you would be reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. Once you have used this trait, you must complete a Long Rest before you can use it again.
>>
>>54625565
Of course it does, but do you really need to see rules in the book to explain how sledgehammers are used? In a pinch it might save your character from getting exhaustion clearing something out, advantage to doing a task you could do without a sledge hammer, or be a necessary tool in order to do certain tasks
>>
>remove racial adjustments to ability scores
>everybody gets 18, 18, 14, 14, 8, 8
>>
File: Dirt-road-Mali-mountains.jpg (72KB, 822x570px) Image search: [Google]
Dirt-road-Mali-mountains.jpg
72KB, 822x570px
So, guys, I'm trying to build a dungeon atm, and it's going to be the first big dungeon crawl I do in a few years, the first in this edition. And I wanted to know if you guys could give me some ideas.

>It's a recently fallen dwarven citadel
>A dwarven smith recently dug out a forbidden, closed-off mine and went mad due to the greed and to the influence of some ancient underground being(s)
>The dungeon has 7 floors, the party enters on the 4th (3 upper levels, 3 "basements")
>The level structure works kind of like a pyramid, they get smaller the further top they are

What do I have so far: I've got the gist of what I want on each floor: the lowest will be the mines, then the artisans' workshops, then the underground farms, butcheries and breweries. Then at ground level it'll have the great halls, the temple, guests' quarters and market. Going up first are the guilds, the dwarves' houses and the military post; then the clerical quarters, the court and the council, and finally, at the top, it'll be the patriarch's quarters and the chamber of the "inner council".
At this top floor I wanted only one or two rooms, the boss (the mad dwarf) and the loot. I thought it would be nice that, to get there, they have to gather some items, like a complex key system, similar to old Resident Evil's door puzzles.
Maybe since he's a smith, the upper floors are full of his metal creations, while the lower floors, under the influence of the maddening ancient being(s) are of a more organical horror nature...

Idk, any help, dudes?
>>
>>54625575
I'll legit average 13 with 4d6 drop the lowest
Its common for me to have a 6 and an 8 as well
>>
>>54625620
Seems fine at a glance at least
>>
>>54625620
It essentially may as well only have a +2 total ASI considering you won't use intelligence alongside wisdom much at all, proficiency in two skills is worth meh levels and it has half-orc's racial which is kind of okay maybe.

I'd give it a couple of good ribbon features (Not particularly powerful but makes them more racially distinct)
>>
>>54625620
Its not, actually I would not pick it.
>>
>>54625641
Averaging 13 is still better than point buy, especially when you end up with some stats over 15.

Getting 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13 is probably slightly worse than point buy, though. I guess you can get human with +1 to all stats and become a whateverthefuck.
>>
>>54625567
I'm at work RN but I get off at 5. I'll show it to you then.
>>
>>54625277
But Torm doesn't seem all that vengeful, he seems more likely to forgive enemies with the whole open hand thing
>>
>>54625655
Thanks for the critique. Now, if I could only figure out some ribbon features... don't suppose any anons have any suggestions? For reference...

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hutaakan
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/hutaakan.php
>>
>>54625550
We both know you won't stop trying to ruin my fantastic, fabulous, intellectual, IP. But nice try autist kys.
>>
>>54625621
Well that right there are rules that you're making up for it, I'd like to see it more rigid than coming up with it on the fly. I could use it to gain advantage on breaking down walls or doors, but then isn't it like a battering ram at that point?
>>
>>54625540
>player thinks it's ok to roll for stats multiple times at home and take the best one

This is why I don't let players roll for stats.
>>
Wouldn't a sledgehammer just be a warhammer, ultimately? It'd be splitting hairs to differentiate.

>>54625637

Sounds dope. My suggestion is to draw maps that are simple enough for your players to understand each room and the dungeon's layout without revealing it's secrets.

Also, if for any reason yout force your players to backtrack through a rin they're already been in, at least one time put a new enemy there as a nasty surprise.
>>
>>54625745
>>player thinks it's ok to roll for stats multiple times at home and take the best one

Did I say I did that?
>>
>>54625436
You should take a look at the aasimar races in volo's they all have transformation features and would be a good base.
>>
>>54625750
A sledgehammer is definitely used more like a maul.

A warhammer is practically a long hammer and likely hits a smaller surface area whereas a sledgehammer is more just a heavy weight at the end of a stick. I mean, that sounds similar, but I'm sure there's a clear way to differentiate.
>>
>>54625637
>>54625750
Forgot to add that you should include some stair mimics in there somewhere. Keep the party on their toes and such.
>>
Which piece of my homebrew is your favourite, /5eg/?
>>
>>54625868
I'd have to go with your complete artificer rework. It's probably the smartest thing out there.
>>
>>54625868
Personally I like the part where we take a class that's practically the only one to have at-will abilities and a focus on using a variety of at-will abilities though it has sone long rest resources and a companion resource and instead we now add on extra resources for them to use so that they're now mechanically less distinct.
>>
>>54625788
You should.
It's what a table deserves for rolling stats.
>>
I'm sorry /5eg/, I'm a hack desperately seeking attention. Please respond.
>>
>>54625879
Why thank you, handsome anon.
>>
>>54625621
Well that right there are rules that you're making up for it, I'd like to see it more rigid than coming up with it on the fly. I could use it to gain advantage on breaking down walls or doors, but then isn't it like a battering ram at that point?
>>
>>54625889
If you're not using my reworked point buy system you're dickstabbing yourself.

>>54625892
No problem. You're probably very handsome as well.
>>
>>54625891
>he thinks it's possibly the actual guy and not some other Anon false flagging to make others hate him as much as he does
>>
I wanna introduce the book of erotic fantasy to my 5e campaign but I can't find any good conversion. Any ideas on how to convert it?

Back in the 3.x days it would really spice campaigns ups.
>>
>>54625868
Who even are you? Homebrew is garbage at best and fucking retarded as a standard.
>>
>>54625887
Though okay I'll admit ranger has an at-will AoE and rogue has at-will sneak attack but it's not the same as having at-will limited healing, speed boost, smoke cloud obscuration, prone+knockback AoE, single-target and multi-target damage. And there might have been a stun one in there, I forget.

But it's not the right way to fix artificer.
>>
I regularly masturbate to Naruto.
Not hentai, just regular Naruto episodes.
>>
>responding to namefags
>>
>>54625851

I agree with that, but I feel like a slesgehammer is designed for more practical purposes than martial purposes. Compare a war pick to a mining pick, for example. I feel like the war hammer stats are a better fit to reflect that - maybe make it heavy?
>>
>>54625953
Just make it a -1 maul to represent it's not supposed to be used for battle.

You're not supposed to one-hand a sledgehammer I presume and two-handing a warhammer is worse than two-handing a -1 maul.
>>
>>54625953
Slesgehammers are my own design of weapon for 5e and Shadowrun btw. Anyone want to see?
>>
>>54625934
Someone hates a guy on the Discord (who barely even looks at 4chan) so he's namefagging here in an attempt to make the Discord guy mad.
>>
>>54625998
You speak only lies. I'll have you know I had an autistic breakdown last night.
>>
Who wants to check out my loremaster rework? I thought it was really weak so I let it change saves 3/rest and swap spells 3/rest. Really, why would 1/rest be useful for anybody?
>>
File: 1493967065696.jpg (69KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
1493967065696.jpg
69KB, 540x539px
>>54625975

That's a good idea, c0re, thanks. Maybe you're not so bad at homebrew after all.
>>
>>54626018
I'd love to see it. I am sure it is not broken or even slightly stupid. You are very smart. You are an important person.
>>
>>54625998
Accurate representation of the situation. By the way, have you tried my warlords?
>>
File: y vobi.png (522KB, 700x632px) Image search: [Google]
y vobi.png
522KB, 700x632px
>>54626024
You're a pretty swell guy too, c0re.
>>
File: crusader.png (1MB, 632x954px) Image search: [Google]
crusader.png
1MB, 632x954px
Anyone got good crusader character art? I want to roll up a paladin for my next session.
>>
File: full_mail.png (374KB, 553x733px) Image search: [Google]
full_mail.png
374KB, 553x733px
>>54626085
>>
>>54626057
I have, it was pretty fantastic. I liked the way it was overpowered in most situations you could even be in these days.
>>
>>54626085
>go to /pol/
>start thread
>DEUS VULT
>?????
>profit
>>
File: arbalest.png (482KB, 557x789px) Image search: [Google]
arbalest.png
482KB, 557x789px
>>54626106
>>
>>54626134
That is too close to abelist for my liking. Please do not try to trigger me, anon. Only post progressive pictures for now on, okay?
>>
File: halberd_knight.png (247KB, 637x497px) Image search: [Google]
halberd_knight.png
247KB, 637x497px
>>54626113
I don't want to go to /pol/ it is a silly place
>>
what is this c0re meme
>>
>>54626165
I am the legion. Speaking of that, should I write some mass combat rules?
>>
File: dredd.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dredd.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>54626148
Actually a small part of the reason I want to roll up this character is that I want to antagonize a few of the hipster players in our group by playing a judge dredd type character for the bantz
>>
>>54626165
I'm not a meme. I'm probably the best homebrewer D&D has ever had. Way better than Crawford at least.
>>
>>54626165
some fag who knows everything there is to know about D&D, homebrewing, and balance
>>
>trying to make me mad by using my name

Nice try but im not upset at all.

Hows it feel to know that youre just proving how well known and popular I am? Its a nice feeling knowing that so many people are butt hurt by my very existence that they spend DAYS shitposting about me specifically. its actually very flattering, so thanks, please keep spreading my name and linking my homebrew.

Remember, I do homebrew for fun, and never sell it, its completely free for anyone to use and I love feedback so discuss it/insult it as much as you want, im able to sift through your shitty attempts at putting me down to gain valuable information about what I can do to improve it.
>>
I hope mods ban all you core fucks. Your meme is shitty and it's pure autism at its worst.
>>
>>54626195

Lawful Neutral characters are some of my favorite characters to play. There's no good, no bad. There's just the rules, those who follow them, and those who break them. A couple get the priviledge of enforcing them. That's it.
>>
>>54626217
>I made a post to specifically show I'm not mad haha nice try

Who are you even pretending to be?
>>
>>54626217
stop larping, fag
>>
>>54626217

wait, who are you, anon?
>>
>>54626217
Guards, get this pretender out of here!
>>
How do you defeat the Tarrasque, /5eg/?
>>
>>54626264
Hit it til it dies, desu. In 5e it's just a really big, really tough, really strong bag of meat.
>>
>>54626264
Make it kiss my trans player, Cammie.

After I saw their nudes I almost died. Should be super-effective against a Tarrasque.
>>
>>54626264
A catapult, a gnome, a bag of holding and a portable hole.
>>
File: RNGesus.png (735KB, 1703x1801px) Image search: [Google]
RNGesus.png
735KB, 1703x1801px
>>54626264
Wish spell and pray to RNGesus
>>
Noodle Doodle Smooch Smooch
Nyaa~
Nyaa~
Nyaa~
Nyaa~
>>
>>54626289
A pretty swell idea. Had it myself, but you posted first. Great minds think alike!
>>
Level 2 Warlock, stay with it or go 17/18 Sorc?
>>
>>54626335
Send me your nudes. No? Doxxed & Blocked.
>>
>>54626057

can I get a link to it? I wanna know just what kind of guy everyone is shitposting about here
>>
File: 1249901489866.jpg (16KB, 228x260px) Image search: [Google]
1249901489866.jpg
16KB, 228x260px
>>54626342
>level 20
>>
>>54626349
Just a regular guy that one fag went on a crusade of butthurt over, and a few others jumped onto because memes are funny

literally nobody
>>
So, learning new spells outside of level ups:

I can't find prices for single spells so I assume it's just the same cost as purchasing a scroll of the appropriate level.

If you are supposed to expand Spell knowledge with scrolls, can you also learn additional cantrips, or are those level locked?
>>
>>54626390

alright cool but I actually want to see that warlord homebrew
>>
>>54626264

Actual answer: flying carpets, longbows, and an equal amount of arrows and patience.
>>
>>54626390
I am not a nobody. You WILL adress me with respect.
>>
>>54626390
>literally nobody
My homebrew has the most views on the Dmsguild without having the words erotica or sex in it.
>>
>>54626348

Please don't be like that! You make Doodle a sad Noodle!
>>
>>54626399
You can learn new ones to replace current ones, but you cannot have additional ones or you'd be too OP
>>
>>54626399

I imagine there would be separate scrolls for cantrips as well? This might just depend on how your DM wants to handle it, or if they would offer cantrip scrolls at all: they would be relatively cheap and could accumulate fast.
>>
>>54626437
>OP
They're cantrips.
>>
>>54626399
You can't learn or replace cantrips. They're permanent.

You need to find scrolls or buy them, both of which are entirely on the DM to facilitate. Rules for add them to your spellbook is in the sidebar on your spellbook in the Wizard class section.
>>
>>54626470
And they can be powerful.
>>
>>54626423
I dont post my homebrew on dmsguild, nice try.

>>54626402
Its not warlord, its tactician, which is basically a non-magical wizard focused around using reflavored spells called orders, that are like super powerful battlemaster maneuvers. Imagine battlemaster as a full caster class. It can fill the void of warlord with its art of war archetype but it has literally zero mechanics in similar with the warlord, and isnt a port of it into 5e at all

As usual, you can find all my homebrew for free at https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/user/c0re
>>
>>54626496
Oops sorry, its http not https
>>
>>54626451
Cantrips scrolls are common rarity magic items in the DMG. They are their own thing.

I'm just wondering under RAW/RAI if it is possible for a Wizard to learn his entire spell list.
>>
>>54626496
I never said you did. I said I did. You should really learn to read anon.

>you can find all my homebrew for free at https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/user/c0re

It isn't very nice to try to claim my homebrew. I get that you're really booty bothered that I am more famous than you'll be. I do, really. But that isn't an excuse to try to larp on an imageboard.
>>
>>54626520

Ah thanks, I just couldn't recall.
>>
File: 17291.gif.jpg (19KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
17291.gif.jpg
19KB, 600x337px
>>54626496
>1d8 (or 6)
>>
>>54626578
Good catch, thanks, fixed.
>>
>>54626495
>>54626484
>>54626451
>>54626437

I'll look into this more and talk with my DM. I want to make a Wizard obsessed with acquiring magical knowledge and spells but it would be pointless if there is no way to acquire more spells than normal.
>>
>>54626578
Ah, yet again I made a terribly easy mistake. I should probably try reading the PHB or DMG before I make homebrew next time. I'll take care of it after I clean some shit I just found splattered on my walls.
>>
You all should be thankful I'm here to grace you with my presence
>>
>>54626578
>.gif.jpg poster calling out my homebrew

kys autismo

ill have you know i balanced the stats and found that 1d8 (or 6) was much more balanced
>>
>>54626264
Honestly a well optimized party can take down pretty much any creature statted out at a level under half of its CR. So hit it or spell cast it until it dies.
>>
>>54625575
>it gives people 'super epic' stats far too often.
That's the whole fucking point of rolling for stats, not the problem with it
>>
im gay
>>
>>54626717
Its better to just do a 31 pointbuy or something similar instead, or an epic array of 18, 17, 16, 14, 12, 10. Rolling typically just makes half the part OP, and half average. If you want heroic adventurers, there are much better ability score generating methods than rolling.
>>
>>54626648
I believe this man. I think he is correct.
>>
>>54626726
Homu I need your help. We have to come up with a balanced set of erp rules for 5e.
>>
>>54625911
>I'd like to see it more rigid than coming up with it on the fly
Have you tried not playing 5e?
>>
>>54626726
Nobody cares. Pay attention to ME.
>>
>>54625575
No, the problem with rolling stats is that, as we can see, it's massively inconsistent and bound to create large gaps within the party. Some groups of players can handle that, and some can't.

>>54626747
Agreed. 5e was specifically designed for the latter type of play. If you want rigidity, there's nothing wrong with that, but 5e may not be the best game for you.
>>
>>54626755
No, pay attention to ME!
>>
>>54625575
The ultimate goal in rolling for stats is having fun regardless of what you roll. However it seems to have the opposite effect.

The most fun you can have is if everyone is the same class, with the same stats. It's just better that way. I recommend Theurge Wizard for this.
>>
>>54626747
>>54626757

I don't mind leaving rules up to interpretation or for the DM to decide, that's perfectly fine. It just tickles my autism that the crowbar has a full ruling but the sledgehammer doesn't.
>>
File: x147b3.gif.wav.tff.png.bmp.mp3.jpg (61KB, 560x375px) Image search: [Google]
x147b3.gif.wav.tff.png.bmp.mp3.jpg
61KB, 560x375px
>>54626496

>Supportive Expertise
>At 10th level, you can use your reaction to double their proficiency bonus on a skill check they make, as long as they can see or hear you and it is a skill you are both proficient at. Once you use this feature, you cannot do it again until you complete a short or long rest.

I'm assuming "an ally that you can see and hear within X feet" is supposed to be in there somewhere

>>54626648

eat shit
>>
>>54626771
I think we can split it between the one of us just fine.
>>
This might be the worst 5eg ever, so thanks for that
>>
>>54626809
It's much better than normal since I'm here. You really should try the warlord class and ignore all these autists.
>>
>>54626781
You don't have to take everything to the extreme. Rolling dice was indeed intended for those who want to randomize and accept the result, but even the oldest editions had non-random stat-generation methods. Despite the fact that the original designers were enormously autistic, even they realized random generation wouldn't work for every group. There's nothing wrong with either approach, but it's the type of thing everybody in the group must be comfortable with either way.

>>54626809
Still better than 8 int wizard tee bee aich
>>
>>54626809
Mods should nuke this one and the next.
>>
>>54626798
I think there's a limit to how far you can see and hear someone.
>>
>>54626841
>>54626809
I've been saying for the longest time that the best discussion of 5e you can have is in the 5eg discord.
>>
>>54626809
Wrong.
>>
>>54626781
Roll for stats in order or don't roll for stats at all.

Rolling in order maximizes the good points about rolling for stats under the assumption you're fine with the negative points of rolling for stats.

Otherwise, point buy 30-32.
>>
Everyone should just pretend to be the namefag, then he's not special anymore and maybe he'll leave.
>>
>>54626852
This. Also, have you guys tried /r/dnd? It's like tg, but with karma and without that boring anonimity!
>>
File: IMG_20170709_132905.jpg (29KB, 640x307px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_132905.jpg
29KB, 640x307px
>always wanted to roll for stats to get that sweet adrenaline rush and for the thrill of having no idea what kind of character the dice will suggest, and building the character around the rolled stats
>group always wants to do PB instead

I just wanna live on the edge. I wouldn't even care if i rolled like shit
>>
>>54626867
>Otherwise, point buy 30-32.
I like how the point buy houserule meta keeps going up. Eventually it's just going to be "Just give every 15 in every state."
>>
>>54626882
Yeah. That's actually a really good idea.

Why do discordfags feel the need to ruin this thread? What did we do to them?
>>
>>54626849

there's still the problem of using pronouns with no antecedent.
>>
Traps are gay.
>>
>>54626867
How would you feel about rolling in order but being allowed one swap at the end so you can play any class you want but still have to live with quite a bit of randomization?

>>54626932
We tried to prevent this exact situation, and they didn't like it.
>>
>>54626932
Maybe if you stopped snubbing us and exluding discord link from OP, we wouldn't despise you back.
>>
>>54626916
I've always said 30-32.

30-32 allows you to buy up some dump stats, whereas you can already have 15 in three stats which is basically all you 'need'.
The extra points then gives you room to either buy up dump stats or de-penalize yourself for not taking 15/15/15.

>>54626949
I mean, maybe, but you still might not be able to play classes such as monk so eh. Just plain rolling for stats, giving a swap is just lessening the good point and minimizing the bad point slightly, even if only slightly.
>>
>>54626947
Yeah, but traps actually ARE gay.
>>
>>54625868
>>54625892
>>54625920
Nani?!
>>
>Firebolt
>1d10 damage
>Good range
>Not a great damage type

>Poison spray
>1d12 damage
>bad range
>bad damage type

>Toll the Dead
>1d12 damage
>decent range
>good damage type

What is the downside of toll the dead?
>>
>>54627018
Nothing. It's the buff sacred flame needed.
>>
If there is a real c0re here, I have a request:
Make drunken monk less suck.
>>
>>54627048
Just reflavor Open Palm to being drunk then kys for asking something so stupid.
>>
I remember that there was something in the PHB about how strong PCs were at different levels. I seem to recall that they were linked to proficiency bonus. It was something like "level 1 you are an above average adventurer, at level 5 you are well known, at level 9 you are beyond the power of most ... " Anyone recall where this passage is?
>>
>>54627060
Why are you so upset?
>>
>>54627018
It can be saved against for 0 damage.
>>
>>54627062
Tiers of Play. They're described in one of the front sections of the DMG and in chapter 1 of the PHB I believe.
>>
>>54627018
>What is the downside of toll the dead?
It only does 1d8 on a target with full hp
Also it's a Wisdom save, which is commonly stronger than others
>>
>>54627072
Because you want to homebrew something that doesn't need homebrewing. It isn't like my awesome Warlord or the fantastic Artificer supplement I made. You just want shit. KYS.
>>
>>54627092
Why doesn't it need homebrewing? Just because you personally don't like it? I don't get it.
>>
>>54627018
firebolt lites stuff on fire
poison spray consistently does d12
>>
My party just opened up a bar in the Free City of Greyhawk and want their kobold servants to manage it while they go off adventuring, what is a reasonable amount of income from this bar?
>>
File: tiers.png (1MB, 770x1074px) Image search: [Google]
tiers.png
1MB, 770x1074px
>>54627062
It's touched on in the PHB I think but the DMG has more detail.
>>
>>54627116
None. The kobolds hoard all the prophets and it shuts down in a week.
>>
>>54627111
Because it shouldn't have a different mechanic. Why is your autism so deeply seated within you?
>>
>>54627134
Oh no, the kobolds are very loyal after the party freed them from slavery under the Scarlet Brotherhood.
>>
>>54627145
Wait why am I autistic now? Because I like the idea of the UA subclass? So again it's literally people liking what you don't like.
>>
>>54627125
>>54627084
thanks!
>>
>>54626591
You can stockpile scrolls and use them.
You can stockpile knowledge/lore/whatever.

I would look at it like this: In real life, there is people who are obsessed with acquiring knowledge on religions, rites, and magical practices - but it doesn't actually mean that any of those things affect the world in any way, it just means they find it interesting to some degree. In the same regard, he can be a researcher / scholar / whatever, obsessed with delving into the understanding of magic.

Or he can just be a wizard who is bristling with magic scrolls for every situation.

What you're talking about is trying to make a super-wizard, and outstrip the bounds of the class.
>>
>>54627173
You're clearly an idiot and that's all I can say. enjoy your wasteful idiocy.
>>
>>54627018
There is none, it's overpowered.

Literally an upgraded sacred flame.
>>
>>54627145

erp me c0re
>>
>>54625103
>>54622130
I was running campaigns with spiketaildrake's w4e monk.

I like the core of the system, but I'm already thoroughly disillusioned with wotc's direction for 5e, and I disallow a lot of the current UA, have a bunch of personal homebrew, houserules, and conversions, and allow a bunch of homebrew from online.

If they put out something good, I'll use it, but I'll just as easily grab some more homebrew I like.

I've been lazy so far, but have been considering building a rules compendium that's just the mechanics without classes, races, equipment, spells, or feats, to print out and pass around the table, and then I may sell my phb and DMG.
>>
>>54627204
Sure, but you're top. PM me
>>
/5eg/, how do I become the best Pact of the Chain warlock I can possibly be?
>>
>>54627192
I think you should probably have a lie down somewhere you are awfully worked up. I worry for your blood pressure.
>>
>>54627225
>>54627204
I know you're desperate for that Homu dick, but dibs.
>>
>>54627228
Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex
Honestly, the mechanics are pretty straightforward, but fluffing and characterizing your familiar is the best part of playing with one.
>>
>>54627116
DMG 127 for maintenance costs, DMG 129 for the table on how much it makes based on that.
>>
>>54627225
im on mobile now but hit me up
>>
Would giving Warlocks one of the Eldritch Blast-buffing invocations for free be a reasonable way to ease up on the "invocation tax"? Or is that stupid?
>>
>>54627272
>would eliminating part of a tax be a reasonably way to ease up on taxes
>>
>>54627272
They don't really need all that many invocations, so a tax of one (Agonizing is the only invocation you really need) isn't that big of a deal.
The real tax is on bladelocks.
>>
>>54627284
Yes, that's what I'm asking
>>
>>54627305
>would unplugging the drain on the tub so that the water empties out be a reasonable way to lower the water level in the tub
>>
>>54627243

Any good utility spells? With such limited spell slots, I'd want to focus on buffing/nerfing rather than doing direct damage; I'll leave that to the other guys.
>>
>>54625635
le 44 point buy meme
fuck off
>>
>>54627339
The key word in my question was "reasonable"
Your analogy is stupid
>>
>>54627339

he's asking if it would be reasonable,not if it would do the thing that it would obviously do
>>
>>54627360
>using a bucket and throwing the water onto the bathroom floor is more reasonable
>>
>>54625635
Not a bad idea. I believe I'll update my 'brew with it an add it as an option. I'm taking credit though.
>>
Any thoughts on Side Initiative and why it works or doesn't work?
>>
>>54627188
You can technically pen every wizard spell into a Spellbook. Doesn't outstrip anything about them; in fact, that's their strength, having such a vast amount of spells to draw on that they're never useless on an adventure. They don't get fancy X times a day abilities, they don't get inherent reactions or bonus actions, they're literally supposed to be walking magical libraries.
>>
>>54627444
Except Cantrips. KYS.
>>
What classes or roles do you feel like are missing from the official material(all released material + UA
>>
>>54627444
He was talking about cantrips though, which is a different matter. Cantrips are special specifically because they bypass the usual restrictions of spells by having no resource cost.
>>
>>54627478
A decent Drunken Fist Monk.
>>
>>54627425

Whike it's good for team maneuvers, it can lead to a lot of hemming and hawing about individual action that grinds combat to a halt. People need structure.
>>
>>54627488
Ah. My apologies then. >>54627188
>>
>>54627466
Right. Now kys namefag
>>
>>54627000
today on /5eg/ adventures in schizophrenia
>>
I'd think you could copy non-memorized cantrips into your spellbook, prepare them, and cast them using a 1st level (or higher) spell slot for no benefit.
>>
>>54627116
>>54627167
>People atill playing in Greyhawk

I applaud you for this, but you must know no modules will ever be published.
>>
>>54627532
A bunch of people are pretending to be me, presumably to give me more attention.

(I do enjoy it.)
>>
>>54627546
Still more likely than anything new for Mystara.
>>
>>54627546
Just run with the old 2e stuff.
>>
>>54627509
I'm having a hard time thinking of a good specialty for a drunken fist monk anyway. I mean it's obviously got improvised weapons and whatever, but I don't know it should be some sort of mobility specialized subclass, defensively specialized subclass, or damage dealing one. A lot of previous drunken master stuff probably wouldn't port well. It would just be getting ki back from chugging, martial arts die with improvised weapons, and a useless fire attack that costs a few ki
>>
>>54627116
2-20gp/day? Depends how fancy and successful the bar is, but i would consider 5-10gp/day to be solid medium.
>>
>>54627591
Thanks for responding to my questions Anon.

First of all, I don't think Drunken Fist needs anything.

Second of all, kys autist.
>>
>>54627629
Maybe if you were serving hard liquor in an upscale part of town. Your average bar in ye olden thymes is going to be selling watered-down grog to a bunch of fucking peasants. Room rentals (if you're an inn) is where the real cash is at.
>>
>>54627648
I'm getting real tired of everyone imitating me on these boards.

Do I often sperg out for no real reason other than to get attention? Absolutely. But shut up about it.

Do I frequently lust after trans members in discords because I am lonely and I secretly hate my life. You fucking bet.

Have I made some absolutely shit homebrew? Everyone knows it.

But I cannot stand by and watch you all say that 5e needs bonus actions.
>>
>>54627591
I feel like the lvl 6 ability the UA one has is a good starting point. Drunken Fist monks should be the centre of a Rube Goldberg machine of slapstick violence.
>>
I'm torn on what class to take this concept into. She's a sacrifice-turned-convert. Actually sacrificed, but made a deal with the entity summoned in the final moments to serve as a prophet of a new faith. She earnestly believes that the Devil is 100% benevolent (it did resurrect her after all). The Devil left her the sword used to sacrifice her and a book of the Tenants she's supposed to preach. Her primary objective is to convert as many people through word and deed to the New Faith elevating the Devil to Godhood in time. For now it grants her potent but limited shares of its own power.

The problem is that I don't know if this should be a Warlock, a Cleric, or a Paladin. The character doesn't have formal training in anything, but the spirit of the Devil is militant and considers kills in battle with the granted sword equal to the sacrifice of a virgin on a prepared Altar.
>>
Rate my cross-archetyped party.
>Trickery Domain Rogue
>War Domain Bard
>Hexblade Paladin
>Battlemaster Sorcerer
>???? Fighter
>Kensai Monk
>>
>>54627804
That sounds like a Blade Pact Warlock.
>>
>>54627809
>trip attack ray of frost
>>
>>54627835
Shh, shut up. I smell some really stinky homebrew coming that I can claim.
>>
>>54627804
Oathbreaker or paladin of treachery sounds about right. Conquest works too.
>>
>>54627804
>made a deal with the entity
>For now it grants her potent but limited shares of its own power
Warlock
>the Devil
Fiend patron
>The Devil left her the sword used to sacrifice her
Pact of the Blade
>Her primary objective is to convert as many people through word and deed to the New Faith
Acolyte background

e z p z
>>
>>54627835
>>54627952
As fitting as it is it feels pretty cruel to suggest pact of the blade warlock
>>
So I'm messing around with a level 10ish character and trying to make him like Big Boss. I want to grapple and prone things as much as possible (CQC) and have a lot of combat options. So far I have come up with Battle master 6/ Open hand 3/ Rouge 1. I have expertise in athletics and stealth, maneuvers are trip attack, riposte, and menacing attack, and I use one handed weapons. This seem like big boss enough?
>>
>>54627515
>>54627515
What do you mean?
>>
>>54628016
Bladepact isn't terrible with the UA invocations, and it's actually pretty good with Hexblade.
>>
File: mydrow.png (50KB, 704x243px) Image search: [Google]
mydrow.png
50KB, 704x243px
i need help with this
>>
>>54625931
Some autist here converted it a while ago. Check the archive.
>>
>>54628066
Is it better now? I know it used to be one of the worst pacts to take.
>>
>>54628222
The first UA set gave it huge nova capability (up to 10d8 smites on a hit at 9th level onward). The second UA nerfed that down to 6d8 max but if you're crit-fishing it's still serviceable.

Hexblade lets you use cha for one-handed weapons and you get medium armor and shields. With the revised you can basically be 14 dex and max cha and deal decent nova damage fishing for crits, extra attack, and some bonus action economy. With the first set you instead take a strength-based special greatsword for giant nova smites.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf
>>
>>54627425
It fucks up action economy. If you're too lazy to roll each monster's initiative seperately then use fewer monsters.
>>
>>54627478
There are already too many options as it is.
>>
>>54628264
>if you're crit-fishing it's still serviceable.
I don't believe the smite damage would get multiplied on a crit.
>>
>>54628290
But one of the first rules of thumb for better encounters is don't use too few monsters. What's the sweet spot
>>
>>54628311
It absolutely does, what am I thinking. Sorry guys.
>>
>>54628311
All damage dice for an attack are doubled on a crit
>>
Would my DM care if I used my dagger of venom without activating it and wasting a whole round of combat
>>
>>54628339
No problem, friend

>Reminder that multiple personalities (including Dissociative Personality Disorder) isn't a real thing
>>
>>54628400
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>54628400
Why would you ask us instead of your DM?
>>
>>54628400
I don't know, that sounds like a "talk to your DM" thing friendo.
>>
>>54628400
Also, just looked at the item. It's a normal magic item that has a bonus effect that can be activated if you spend an action. You do not have to use the bonus effect.
>>
>>54625235
They're all rad in their own cool ways! But stone giants are the most unique I think
>>
What kind of racial feats would you give to a shifter, or a warforged? In the vein of the racial feats UA that was released a while ago.

If there's any other resources that you could point me to for inspiration, that'd be cool as well.
>>
Speaking of critical hits, don't they feel kinda underwhelming? As a house rule, when my players crit they add max weapon die damage, plus roll weapon die plus roll all doubled bonus die. Does that make sense? They all seem to love it
>>
>>54628320
It's probably better to just clump monsters together and roll their initiatives as multiple groups. That shouldn't cost any significantly greater amount of time
>>
>>54628539
Can be healed by the Mending cantrip 1/day or something.
>>
>>54628584
Make an example kinda like
>You score a normal Critical hit with a weapon that does 1d10 damage, and you have a +3 to damage rolls
>Therefore you deal 10 + 1d10 + 3 damage
>>
>>54628584
>>54628697

as long as the enemies get the same crits
>>
>>54628584
So let me get this straight... if you crit with a Greatsword, you would deal 4d6+12+STR? Isn't that a bit much?
>>
>>54628264
The problem with Bladelocks has always been a dependence on too many stats to work though.
>>
>>54626809
my favourite so far desu
>>
I want more race/class combos to be viable

Is changing the normal +2/+1 racial stat bonus to +1/+1 and giving all/most races a +1 to put wherever they want a bad idea?
>>
>>54626916
I remember reading somewhere the average point buy equivalent for 4d6 drop lowest is 31.5, but I can't find it again.

Though the real advantage of rolling stats is potentially rolling 18s, not the higher amount overall, so I guess it makes sense that point buy is lower.
>>
File: ceno10.jpg (34KB, 939x528px) Image search: [Google]
ceno10.jpg
34KB, 939x528px
So I'm thinking about making a punishment style warlock. Going with the fiend patron and taking armor of agathys, hellish rebuke, and flame shield. These paired with my low AC and my Fiendish Vigor, Fiendish Resilience, and Dark One's Blessing should let me soak up a good amount of damage and return it with with the aforementioned spells. Thoughts?
>>
>>54628839
The easier thing to do is just let players decide where racial ability scores go. You wouldn't have to make as many sweeping changes that way and accidentally fuck over some race
>>
>>54628839
What would you do about Mountain Dwarves, Half-Elves, and Humans?
>>
>>54628839
14 in a skill is viable. Only real issue is monks.
>>
>>54628726
I that example, no.... It'd be 2d6 +12+STR.

A rogue however, if they crit on a sneak attack with a dagger would roll 1d4+4+DEX+(2xSA dice)
>>
>>54628909
>I that example, no.... It'd be 2d6 +12+STR
How? Didn't you say
>add max weapon die damage, plus roll weapon die plus roll all doubled bonus die
The 12 is the max weapon die damage, and the 4d6 is the weapon dice plus the doubled bonus dice...
>>
>>54628909
Why punish rogues?
>>
>>54628400
couldn't you just activate it out of combat?
>>
>>54628906
I don't disagree but my goal is honestly more to get players who want to optimize to use less traditional combinations.

>>54628892
Half-Elves and Humans would probably stay as they are, they already have versatility.

Mountain Dwarves, not sure. Might just have them choose between their default +2/+2 or a +1/+1/+1 arrangement.
>>
>>54628931
I would argue this fairly subtlety rewards two-handed heavy weapons users a bit too much since they already have the best feats in the game on their side, but in practice it would be fairly minor, and everyone likes doing big damage on a crit so if the group's fine with it fine. I wouldn't want to use it myself, but I wouldn't bother arguing against it if a DM wanted to do it
>>
>>54627804
Oathbreaker paladin, perhaps.
Don't need any of that 'breaking an oath' shit.
Paladin of conquest could also work, as conquest paladin is probably the least shit UA paladin.

If the goal is to convert people, however, cleric is more than fitting, though sometimes paladins make better 'converters' given their charisma. Clerics are pretty battley but tend to be more the 'listen to my wise words and watch my diety-granted powers and come follow our faith' and compared to paladins worshipping a god is actually part of what they do.

Warlock could also potentially work but you'd have to be hexblade or something to be battley.

I'd suggest paladin or cleric depending on what the party make-up is.
>>
>>54628977
>get players who want to optimize to use less traditional combinations.
Tell them they can play any race that want and you will sort out the racial attributes to fit the class afterwards. Don't bother making a global rule for every race
>>
>>54626264
You don't. In my setting I made it worth its CR30. If the party decide to face it two things have happened. One we are playing the apocalypse stone, or Two it woke up for its millennia night snack and eats several hundred miles worth of stuff you better run. Either way it is not going to be an easy battle and people are dying.
>>
>>54628839
just let people move the existing bonuses around. half-elfs get +2 to something and +1 to two other things, most people get +2 to one thing and +1 to another, and so on.

racial bonuses suck and i hate that you can't be a half-orc warlock without fucking up your shit.
>>
>>54629038
Thanks for the input, anon

The problem is that we're evenly split between evil paladin and bladelock which does sort of narrow things down but fuck
>>
>>54629065
>can't be a half-orc warlock without fucking up your shit.
Blade pact?
>>
>>54629071
Don't take it as a vote, decide what works best.

Bladelock is a bit fiddley if you don't know what you're doing.
Paladin (especially oathbreaker) for lots of raw strength though it does have some other things and a bit of team support.
Cleric is probably good if you want utility and to make 'smart moves' in battle over hitting things.

Also Cleric is probably the least grating to the DM because you're either likely to use an oathbreaker (which is OP somewhat) or UA (and paladin UA is shit) if you're a paladin and if you're a warlock you're practically swimming in playtest material.
>>
>>54629077
maybe a better example is "aasimar make excellent paladins but shitty clerics." and how if you want to optimise a wizard you have to play a fuckin' gnome.

I know the difference between +2 and +3 is basically fuckall but it's frustrating anyway.
>>
File: Punishing_Party_Attack.jpg (126KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Punishing_Party_Attack.jpg
126KB, 1280x720px
>>54628858
Going to grab a whip with my blade pact and going tiefling for a free hellish rebuke. Bumping for more ideas and tips/
>>
>>54629065
>>54629044
Maybe I'll end up going with this solution in the end, but I do prefer the idea of having at least some set racial bonuses - orcs are strong, elves are dexterous, etc. I think I'll try my middleground solution first.
>>
>>54629144
in that case yeah the specific +1/+1 and then a mobile +1 sounds like a good solution.
>>
>>54628858
>>54629131

Sorry mate but if you're playing Warlock and doing anything other than Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast every single turn then you're being an inefficient disservice to your party
>>
Can you guys give me flavor ideas for a race based off of Protoss, Elites, and Fallen that hail from the astral plane?
>>
>>54629251
Fuck off munchkin
>>
>>54629251
Antagonizing post or not I really do think that blade pact was probably made mostly with being a secondary weapon or for multiclassing in mind. It just doesn't really bring anything to the table that isn't clearly inferior to eldritch blast with 2 invocations, and it takes that much to really even hold a candle in the first place. None of the pacts really give an alternative to eldritch blast (and really should they? Why even be a warlock if you don't want that to be your thing?)
>>
>>54629251
Most people forget how valuable burst damage is. Those people should kill themselves for playing unoptimally.
>>
>>54629304

Don't come crying to me when you're being out-DPR'd by everyone in your party, out-utilitied by the wizard, and when no one wants so sit around doing nothing while you RP with your patron :^)
>>
>>54629324
You sound like an awful person to play with.
>>
Any tips on making SKT more interesting?

I like the sandbox freedom they built in, but some of the set pieces seem a little boring.
>>
>>54629324
>combat is the only thing that matters in a role playing game
kys faggot
>>
>>54629348
I play with him. He's not anywhere near as bad as people who play bad on purpose.

>playing for flavor and fun and not to win

kys desu
>>
>>54629348
>>54629372

>they don't even keep track of their total damage dealt and their average DPR

How else do you tell who's winning? go join a theater troupe if you wanna just RP
>>
>>54629372
Are you not arguing for characters that invest their non-combat resources into being able to use swords more in combat?
>>
File: received_1448828885203577.png (574KB, 1199x532px) Image search: [Google]
received_1448828885203577.png
574KB, 1199x532px
>>54629065

There's nothing wrong with being suboptimal so long as everyone at the table is having fun, anon. follow your heart and make some fun, if unorthodox, characters
>>
>>54629372
Well as long as you accept that you're playing the role of a worthless addition to the party...
>>
File: gorehowl.png (1MB, 1854x1236px) Image search: [Google]
gorehowl.png
1MB, 1854x1236px
Hey /5eg/ one of my players is an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian who is empowered by his ancestors through an heirloom greataxe. Does this sound overpowered for a level 3 Barb?

You gain a +1 Bonus to Attack and Damage rolls made with this magic Greataxe

As long as you are raging, you gain the benefits of the Orcish Fury feat, (listed below)

Orcish Fury:
>Your fury burns tirelessly. You gain the following benefits:
>Increase your Strength score by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
>When you hit with an attack made with Your ancestral Greataxe, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice an additional time and add it as extra damage of the weapon’s damage type. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>Immediately after you use your Relentless Endurance trait, you can use your reaction to make one weapon attack.
>>
>>54629379
Play bad on purpose? Who the fuck says that in a serious way.

Its a fucking game about imagination and talking animals and interacting with friends. The combat is important, sure, but if you're ONLY interested in min/max bullshit then you're just an awful player and I can guarentee you wouldn't be invited back to any other group outside of your group who also does this, which, honestly, sounds awful.

People the game differently than you, some play for RP/story and you apparently play to be the biggest dick in the room.
>>
>>54629435
I should add that this Axe is being sought by a few ne'er-do-wells and an Adult Black Dragon. The player is aware of the dangers of brandishing such a weapon and leaving witnesses.
>>
>>54629435
>Does this sound overpowered for a level 3 Barb
Yes, that's fucking ridiculous
>>
>>54629448
Friendly reminder that this poster is fucking wrong and everyone should hide and report that post for being so fucking wrong.

I get it, kid. You're looking for some easy system to juggle halflings or some shit with yoru barbarian. Well this ain't it. This is a serious fucking game. The numbers mean shit.
>>
>>54629435

The first trait of Orcish Fury will essentially turn that +1 axe into a +2 axe.

This is way out of Level 3's tier of play. Tone it the hell down unless you want to give all your party members equally powerful items.

I suggest buffing it in increments, every time he gets a new path feature he gets one new buff, as if the ancestors are approving of his feats and blessing him with new boons.
>>
>playing CoS
>only female player goes off on her own and gets in a certain-death situation
>fighting 10 enemies of her CR
>DM decides it's alright for a player to dash, retireve a rope from their inventory, tie it to the hilt of their sword and throw it in to the ground on the opposite side of a chasm
>fuckin cool
>meanwhile, encounter Strahd during an fight
>out of character I know Strahd fucks off but I'm playing an OoC paladin and use Champions Challenge
>fail to exempt Strahd (mostly because my PC isn't thinking in terms of challenge rating)
>because of this DM decide Strahd attacks me, despite Strahd being immune to charm, Strahd kills me instantly
>sure whatever
>later
>hag uses finger of death against only female PC
>she dies
>an entire round later someone realizes she has inspiration (of course she fuckin does)
>DM reverses time so that she can use her inspiration
>she survives

why do women ruin fucking everything?
>>
>>54629480
>This is a serious fucking game. The numbers mean shit.
lel
>>
So I am not really satisfied with the current CR system, is there a better homebrew alternative? otherwise I might just have to create something myself
>>
>>54629498
Why do you need an alternative? Just ignore it and go with your gut. CR was never meant as anything more than a rough approximation anyway.
>>
>>54629372
If you didn't want combat to be a big part of the game you wouldn't be playing 5E
>>
>>54629471
Any constructive suggestions?
>>54629483
Thank you. I'll keep it to a +1 Greataxe and unlock the benefits of Orcish Fury in reverse order every time he does something nifty, then.
>>
>>54629484
doesn't really sound like that's the woman's fault. sounds like it's your DM playing favourites.
>>
>>54629498
Give me twenty minutes and I'll have something for you.

>>54629491
You want to throw down in your mommy's basement? I'll put you in a full nelson I practiced when I roleplayed an Uthgardt Barbarian. I know this fucking lore and I know how to win. kys
>>
>>54629484
I mean it's sloppy to undo a death, but avoiding the hassle of making a new character when it's just a matter of someone not using their reroll seems fine. Certainly not worth complaining on the internet to strangers for.
>>
>>54629498

Never be afraid to throw enemies that punch above your players' weight class. Throw them enemies you don't expect them to defeat. Expect them to outsmart it or avoid it instead. Or, be super impressed if they actually do manage to defeat it.
>>
>>54629521
because nerds are desperate to appease women
>>
>>54629514
Never said that, I just realize that it's not the ONLY part of the game
>>
>>54629533
If only I was a girl I could avoid the hassle of making a new character after Strahd instantly kills mine before fucking off and sparing everyone else.
>>
>>54629297
There isn't a lot of life in the Ethereal Plane, not even the Near Ethereal where it corresponds to some stuff on the Prime Material. The only things to eat are creatures that dip in and out of the Prime Material, including phase spiders and ethereal filchers. So any humanoids living there would be nomadic hunter-gatherers with tools made out of ghosts, I guess, because there's not much to build with either.
>>
I'm going to take a moment to shill D&D Beyond. It's a great website. The characters sheets are just fucking amazing. For our new players in the IRL game its been a god send and the website is soooo nice, its definitely the best digital char sheet ive ever used
all the functionality and power of dicecloud but way easier to use.
>>
>>54629513
I really want a tight control over difficulty so that I can precisely shift difficulty to fit the tone, I may just math out the effects of AC, HP, damge on hit, to hit bonus, and special effects in a fair fight
>>
>>54629484
What a whiny fag.
>>
>>54629556
did you have inspiration? and if you did, why didn't you point that out?
right now it sounds like you're keen to blame this all on women despite the facts not lining up with that at all.
>>
>>54629571
>tight control over difficulty
Have you tried not playing a dice game?
>>
>>54629498
Considering that CR forms the basis of defining NPC power levels and determining encounter difficulty and XP rewards and all that shit so.... no? It's actually a very technical backend that no one actually learns to use properly because reading is hard.
>>
Warlock with a fiendish patron and pact of the tome.
Just hit level 7
I've got agonizing blast,eldritch spear, and book of ancient secrets.

Which invocation would be good to pick up? I'm looking at Kiss of Mephistopheles, Maddening Hex or Beguiling Influence.
>>
>>54629484
Because they're semen demons. You should see the genes my wife passed onto my daughter. 0/10 never again. I'm so smart, but this kid has the IQ of a banana. Can't explain that.
>>
>>54629484
>DM thinks a player finding a unique way out of a situation is cool and decides to let them accomplish this rather than kill them for breaking railroad.
>Paladin challenges the ultimate baddy to a fight, he obliges and swats the paladin down, cementing him as a threat to the players and dramatically ending the life of a character
>DM isn't a sadist that enjoys killing PC's so he lets a character not die because Hags can be serious business and one PC death might make this a TPK, souring everyone's night.
>>
>>54629586
With enough encounters and combat rounds, combat becomes more predictable
>>
>>54629556
You aggroed ancient vampire, what did you expected?

And if you felt your death was unjustified, you should argue there and then. Not here and now. Especially so if your reaction was
>whatever
>>
>>54629584
>>54629582
>>54629600
Sorry you're such pathetic losers you jump on the chance to appease retarded bitches that kill the hobby.
>>
>>54629589
Kiss looks neat on paper but warlocks don't have the spell slots for that sort of thing to work.
>>
File: againsttheperson.gif (4KB, 340x163px) Image search: [Google]
againsttheperson.gif
4KB, 340x163px
>>54629630
>>
>>54629588
There are alternatives for experience and the
CR system breaks down with too many or too few enemies and isn't precise enough for my tastes
>>
>>54629630
>le boys only
>girls are icky
>I wish one would talk to me
>>
>>54629667
Don't worry, one day she'll fuck you. Just make sure you defend her at every possible opportunity.
>>
>>54629630
I know you're just baiting for (You)s, but I feel like it's still appropriate to mock you for being a bitter virgin, because even if you're trolling, the kind of life you live that led you to requiring these (You)s implies such a thing.
>>
>>54629684
>missing the joke this hard
>>
>>54629692
>thinking that's funny enough to be a joke

You're the only joke here, my friend.
>>
>>54629703
Because I don't shun women from my precious game of make believe?
>>
>>54629727
If that's what you want to believe, go ahead. Just remember they'll NEVER fuck you.
>>
>>54629744
>projecting this hard
>>
>>54629589
Hex, pump that minimum damage. Don't forget you can also swap one Invocation per level if you want.
>>
>>54629768
Don't worry, I'm well aware they'll never fuck either of us.
>>
>>54629665
No amount of granularity will make a difficulty-determining as accurate as you want it to be. Random chance, terrain, and the situations of the encounter will adjust it.

My advice would be to determine what stuff isn't already account for by CR and then figure out how you would implement that into the existing system.
>>
>>54625332
"Strahd dropping chandeleer from open sky mid cackle" fancy and flamboyant
>>
>>54629774
I actually have a girlfriend, but something tells me you won't believe me
>>
>>54629600
I was going to post something like this.

>>54629630
All your story proves is you have something against women and don't understand good roleplaying.

I'm personally pretty stoked to see 5eg hasn't validated you on either point.
>>
File: db7.png (206KB, 1233x957px) Image search: [Google]
db7.png
206KB, 1233x957px
>>54629630
>>
One of my players has been cursed by a Hag. He knows he's been cursed, but not what the curse is. I'm thinking it should be something that triggers at the worst possible time. It was a frost Hag for reference, and the curse was with her last dying breath.

Ideas so far:
>When he dies, his corpse freezes solid and shatters to pieces, preventing conventional ressurection
>He gains no benefit from shelter or clothing when in cold weather and will quickly succumb to Hypothermia in such conditions
>He gains Vulnerability to Cold damage
>Water he touches freezes solid in seconds
>>
>>54625358
I believe the bag of holding comes with a few lines explaining what happens when you do dimensional bullshit
>>
>>54629813
Lets be real, his dick freezes through and shatters.
>>
>>54629813
A negative modifier to willpower saves.
Cold feet - and please use that joke.
>>
>>54629786
I'll just calculate the increase in damage that advantage given by terrain gives, I might do the same with the other aspects of combat and use that instead of CR as well
>>
>>54629793
It's validated my belief that /5eg/ is secretly r/DND white-knighting faggots. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>54629813

The first one is thematically incredible but would definitely come off as just the WORST "fuck you" when it actually manifests.
>>
>>54629843
>Cold Feet: The curse on you numbs your heart with aching cold and prevents you from projecting your usually explosive personality with as much force as you are used to
>You lose proficiency with Charisma-Based Skill checks and you have disadvantage on Charisma saving throws.
>>
Just realized, Mettle would only probably apply to Constitution Saving Throws in this edition as there are very little Wisdom saving throws in this edition.
>>
>>54629911
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>54629813
As a player I'd be pretty narked about the death thing if I only found out about it when I died.

The water thing seems either very abusable or incredibly lethal when you consider he has to touch water to drink it. ... and that 70% of his body already IS water.

I don't really know how environmental stuff works in 5e, but it might be neat to have him always feel one step colder than he actually is. So at room temperature he's constantly shivering, in dangerous heat he feels fine, in a blizzard it's like he's already frozen solid. makes it a brain curse instead of an actual one, which means his buddies can help mitigate it, and also makes it a little more subtle to discover at first.

maybe the effect increases over time too.
>>
>>54629911
Wisdom is the second most used saving throw after DEX, I think.
>>
>>54629843
>willpower saves
>5e
>>
>>54629981
Actually in my balancing of the PHB I realized willpower was better. He's probably referring to that. I can understand there are still some players who aren't using my book. There's still time for you though.
>>
>>54629904
I like this.
>>
>>54629813
Remove Curse is a 3rd level spell. If they don't fix it, it's their own fault.
>>
>>54628931
I meant bonus die as in from abilities and things that add to the damage. Weapon dice isn't doubled, you're guaranteed max weapon damage, plus what your roll of normal weapon damage.

Things like sneak attack or smites are still doubled as normal for the placebo effector rolling a bunch of dice.
>>
>>54630071
>I meant bonus die as in from abilities and things that add to the damage. Weapon dice isn't doubled, you're guaranteed max weapon damage, plus what your roll of normal weapon damage.
Unnecessarily complicated
>placebo effector rolling a bunch of dice
I don't think you know what a placebo is, anon
>>
>>54630007
I had taken this into account. I had forgotten to mention that Remove Curse supresses the effects of the curse for 24 hours, but the only way to permanently remove it is to undertake a favor for another frost hag or recieve a boon from a powerful Outsider (Fey, Fiend, etc). I told the party this much up front.

This is because the Curse was imbued with the Dying Breath of the Hag, making it stronger.
I feel like Remove Curse was intended to be a kind of Status Effect Cleanse unlike its namesake would imply. Casting it or a similar spell at 7th level or higher would also probably do the trick.
>>
>>54629950
I mean Wisdom save for half.

I'm half asleep and rambling.

Like, in 3.5 and 4E there was mettle. It was like Evasion for Fort and Will at the same time.
>>
>>54626909
Why don't you just roll array?

Roll a d6, reroll duplicates, order determines which standard array goes first from highest to lowest. Here, I'll do one now

4 3 2 1 5 6

12 13 14 15 10 8

You got yourself a crotchety ol' rock gnome wizard who ignores his surroundings so much he actually becomes pretty good at concentrating
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 256x197px
Stat me
>>
What are some of your guys' favorite dungeon-surprise-murder-tools? Asking this way since I know asking for Traps will get me answers I'm not looking for right now.

The party are entering an old ruin, so perhaps things not deliberately constructed, such as collapsing floors or sand pouring through the ceiling, etc.
>>
>>54630229
Large Celestial
STR 23
DEX 14
CON 22
INT 13
WIS 20
CHA 18
Feats?
>>
>>54625620
the hard to kill is the same as the half orc ability, seems fine to me
>>
>>54630229
Oh I've played you.

Protector Aasimar Moon Druid with the Folk Hero background

12 8 13 10 15(+1) 14 (+2)

Proficiency in Survival, Performance and Animal handling
Obviously you prepare wind and seas spells instead of healing ones.
>>
>>54630330
Thank you.
>>
>>54630330
>Protector Aasimar Moon Druid
>Call Lightning
>Wild Shape into Shark
>Radiant Soul
>Fly into Thunderstorm
>Be the sharknado
>Bite your enemies
>Bite your friends
>Only also use Healing Hands on your friends
>So you're healing bite them
>It's very confusing
>But also metal as hell?
>>
>>54630229
>>54630296
Actions:
>Multiattack: Maui makes three hook attacks
>Hook: Melee Weapon reach 10ft, +11 to hit. Hit: 2d8 + 6 Piercing Damage + 2d8 Radiant Damage. Target must succeed a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
>Polymorph: Maui can cast the Polymorph Spell on himself as an action without expending a spell slot as long as he holds his hook. (5/day)
>You're welcome: Maui attempts to distract his foes while he sings a catchy and entertaining song. Each creature not in direct combat with Maui within 120 feet must make a DC 17 Wisdom Saving throw. If those creatures have no ill will toward Maui, the saving throw is made with Disadvantage. On a failed save, the creature is charmed for two minutes or until Maui stops singing. Creatures charmed this way dance and sing uncontrollably along with the music, even if they haven't heard it before. Once this effect ends or a creature succeeds its saving throw, they are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

Legendary Resistance :x3/day

Legendary Actions: x3/round
>Spot: Maui Makes a perception check
>Power Slide: Maui Moves up to half his speed in a straight line
>Polymorph: Maui can use his Polymorph action (Costs 3 Legendary actions)
>>
>>54630262
Mold. Collapsing support beams. Rust monsters.
>>
>>54630262
Decoy rugs. Players hate rugs and assume that all rugs are pit traps or animated objects. Have the rug be the only safe way across the room.

Illusionary traps and illlusionary dead ends protecting treasure rooms. People will scrutinize a path that looks safe, but a path that looks obviously trapped will just be passed over.

Poison gas or battering ram traps triggered by a tension wire tied to the far side of a door, such that it triggers when the door opens. Can't be detected by conventional means, by examining the lock or looking under the door.

A hallway of nothing but pressure plates, some of which do nothing but still have the same amount of give to them.
>>
File: Torm riding his gold dragon.jpg (23KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
Torm riding his gold dragon.jpg
23KB, 300x389px
Which paladin or cleric spells best represent Torm?
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
I need some advice for the Dawnflowers Ward, I gave it a once per week Mass Revivify effect and I'm not sure how balanced that is towards the end of the game, but I want a massive revive type of effect.

(In my game I use Matthew Mercer's revive rules, which makes it so to revive someone it requires a spellcasting check to see if it works)

My other alternative was a reaction auto heal that would do this

>When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you is knocked unconscious by an attack or spell, you may use your reaction to make the creature immediately regain 1 hit point and is brought back up to their feet. All enemy creatures within 10 feet of them suffer 2d6 fire damage. You cannot use this ability again until you finish a long rest.

Any feedback on anything here would be great.
>>
Anyone happen to have Hyperlanes? How good is the conversion overall?
>>
>>54630647
How about something like
>When two or more friendly creatures within 60 ft (including yourself) would drop to 0 hit points as a result of taking damage from the same source, the creatures instead drop to 1 hit point. This property cannot be used again until the next morning.

So it's basically like a Mass Death Ward that is triggered simultaneously for everyone.
>>
>colville makes a video calling out people that don't actually play d&d
>if you had a game to run/play you wouldnt have the time

is he right? no
>>
>>54625190
Valor bards are pretty solid. Bards are fucking broken in the best way, and having access to shields, medium armor, and multiattack/cast a spell and attack in the same action is godly on a full caster.
>>
>>54625190
I'm thinking about playing a war cleric archer.
Dude will be able to deal a decent amount of damage thanks to sharpshooter, and can make bonus attack shots a few times a day when he needs it.

Spiritual guardians keep melee attackers the fuck away. You can keep that channel divinity in your back pocket for when you fuck up a sharpshooter shot. And magic weapon if you ever need that extra bit of improved accuracy.

I'm probably gonna pick an aasimar as well because angelic archer just sounds fun as fuck.

Speaking of which, what would be a good deity for a war cleric archer (aasimar protector)? I play mostly light hearted games, so it doesn't need to be very edgy.
>>
>>54630262
Animated stuff is always good, for added paranoia add shit loads of non animated versions of the stuff too so they never know if something is about to come alive and attack them. A few animated armor in a room stuffed with armor displays can be terrifying, especially if there isn't much light and cover. Non damaging traps can really screw with people too, imagine a trap that just fills an area with a fog cloud, half the time you don't actually need to add anything else to that just because they suddenly lost almost all their viability panic instantly sets in.
>>
>>54630945
fuck I messed up my post.
>if you had a game to play you wouldn't have the time to shitpost online about rules
>>
>>54630945
I think he was talking more about running a game than playing one, but I've never ran one, so I don't know if setting it up will cut into my shitposting about rules time
>>
>>54630945
It doesn't take me all week to run a game that only plays on Sunday.

Shit, you could be working 40 hours a week and still have time to argue about rules on the internet. it's not like posting "no you are wrong and a fool" takes time.
>>
>>54630262
I've always been a fan of the flooding room. Let them know about some sort of water source near the surface that could be the cause of the flooding when they fuck up and fall for your trap.
>>
>>54631092
I agree. I run 2 games and play in another one. And I still have plenty of time to shit talk. In fact, the reason I have so much time to shit out of my mouth online is because I know the rules well enough prep takes so little time, and it takes even less time for me to recall when someone really fucked up their rules.

Still, his point was more like
>play the game to have fun and don't be bound by the rules
Fair enough. Fuck vax though. He's always been a cheating motherfucker.
>>
>>54629813
The last one. He is now Mr Freeze. The other part of his curse is he can't stop making ice puns, if he does he too starts to freeze.
>>
>>54629859
Nah I disagree. I think that's the best option and also a really solid consequence.
Remember, he still has to fail 3 death saves for it to ever happen. And they will likely be like "what the fuck?! OH SHIT" when they figure out why it happened.
>>
>>54630330
>>54630330
>implying Maui is a Druid
The shapeshifting is a property of the Hook, not Maui himself. He is 100% a Bard.
>>
>>54631249
a bard that tells and records stories through his tattoos
Now that's an idea I wouldn't mind ripping from disney.
>>
>>54630379
Don't forget you can be the sharknado as any druid if you just use investiture of wind and wildshape.
I'll admit to doing it a few times.
>>
>>54631249
You're right in that it's the hook that's magical but he doesn't cast spells at all. He's all about relying on no one else and only his hook
>"I'm nothing without my hook."
So at best he's a barbarian as he's super strong
>lifts a boat over his head with one arm
And can take a hit or three
>thrown around by a giant crab monster into walls
If you really wanted to argue the point he could be a cleric as his powers were given to him by the gods as well.
>>
>>54631350
He's a valor bard. Being strong is no justification for being a Barbarian. Since no one in Moana really casts any spells at all, you can't use spellcasting as an argument against adapting a character to a D&D class system.
>>
>>54629813
The first one is great but potentially dickish if the players don't get some hints about it before it fires, maybe have him getting colder and colder steadily turning blue the closer to death he gets, on his last few hp frost starts to form on his body maybe? describe the frost forming on him as being absolutely agonizing too, hell maybe have it start doing 1 damage to him every few rounds at that point
>>
New thread

>>54631450
>>54631450
>>54631450
>>54631450
>>54631450
>>
>>54630101
That's stupid.
>>
>>54629813
Use a double edged sword like that last one.

It is mostly detrimental to them, but it can be useful for them.

Make sure it's clear it hinders their everyday life and give them a couple of situations it hinders them but make sure they can definitely find a way to think 'this isn't so bad', but not so much that they think 'I never want to get rid of this, this is great!'
>>
>>54630576
Compelled Duel. Torm is the grouchy old man if lawful good who can never catch a break but wants to just solve the problem himself and be done with it.
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.