[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best options to run a one-shot with little preparation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: man_ape_sm.jpg (551KB, 800x1014px) Image search: [Google]
man_ape_sm.jpg
551KB, 800x1014px
What are the best options to run a one-shot with little preparation and notice when the typical GM isn't able to that day?
>>
>>54605028
Run a pre-made
>>
>>54605028

Yeah you can find a ton of Adventurer's league one-shots online for free (DDEX & DDAL). You can just re-balance the encounters for your party and then go from there.

Wizards even has some of these available online (Google search "DDEX03-01")
>>
Everyone is John
>>
File: Everyone Is John.pdf (278KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Everyone Is John.pdf
278KB, 1x1px
>>54606178
This.
>>
>>54606178
This, although I recommend the John in question being John Malkovich. Makes things funnier.
>>
when in doubt, undead! It worked well the last time
>>
>>54605028
Run a premade, there are many online you can find.

However, try to hone your improv skills as much as possible.

The last few campaigns I've started actually just birthed from an improvised one-shot I decided to run. I also just run improvised adventures serially as part of my campaigns the majority of the time. It's easier than you think, especially if you're running a narrative-leaning system where your players end up doing a lot of the work for you.
>>
File: Risus - The Anything RPG.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Risus - The Anything RPG.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54605028
Risus is great for one-shots.
>>
Those Free RPG Day sample adventures are made for this sort of thing.
>>
>>54605028
>the Inn is on fire
Make it up from there.
>>
>>54605028
If you and your players are weeb enough, Maid is pretty cool for one shots: the rules are really simple to explain in a timely manner. Roll random backgrounds for everyone and go to town.
>>
>>54608930
Maid has nothing to do with fantasy adventurers, you fucking weaboo. The Maid random tables are ridiculous for adventurers. Stop pushing something that doesn't make sense.
>>
>>54609449
OP here. I only asked for options for one-shot sessions, not that it needed to be fantasy. No need to be a dick, m8
>>
>>54609449
>everyone only plays fantasy
>being this retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (179KB, 1600x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179KB, 1600x864px
For a fun horror one-shot, I'd recommend /tg/'s Night Shift.

The basic premise is that the PCs are all attendants working the night shift at a crappy old gas station in the middle of nowhere. Over the course of the night, they have to deal with mundane hassles and paranormal horrors, surviving till morning while taking care of their station chores.

It can be played as creepy of campy as you like, and become a recurring, episodic "palette cleanser" if your group likes it.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Night+Shift
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.