[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ what are some ways you've made the players realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1291251200319.jpg (78KB, 1139x291px) Image search: [Google]
1291251200319.jpg
78KB, 1139x291px
/tg/ what are some ways you've made the players realize that the overarching plot of your campaigns might be important without resorting to railroading?
>>
Simply telling them.

/watch?v=TxStq0yWDQU
>>
>>54597623
Bribe them with loot
>>
Have the BBEG's minions kill off one of their beloved NPCs.
>>
>>54597623
In a campaign, the players decided to take a brake in a trade city and ended up getting their hands on a tavern, which they decided they wanted to run instead of deal with adventuring.
So I broke out my college accounting books and made them learn double entry accounting to keep the all knowing kingdom's tax collectors (official motto: Death and Taxes?
The dead can be resurrected but taxes still have to be paid.) off their back. About five sessions in, one of the players threw his accounting sheet at the wall announcing that he came here to adventure, not fucking run a second job. They all went back to adventuring by the next session.
The trick is to make whatever it is so fucking tedious and unfun that they want to go back to doing whatever.
>>
>>54597623
I fail to see how this is a problem to begin. Do people not session 0? Just ask your players what sorts of things they're looking for in a game, possibly throw around a couple of premises, and settle on something that works for everyone. In OP's example, the players could have expressed an interest in a rebellion game, and the GM could have decided if they wanted to run that game or not. We're all here to have fun, at the end of the day. Talk it out like adults.
>>
>>54597623
By screening out idiots before I start playing.
>>
>>54599649
FuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyouFuckyou
>>
>>54597623

Tell them the hook and central concept of the campaign, and to make characters who work with it.

Players who intentionally do the opposite, or refuse to comply with this basic idea, should be kicked out.

This also avoids a lot of other issues with engaging characters.
>>
>>54602129

Relax, it's not like that actually happened.
>>
>playing fallout
>first quest is doing standard dungeoncrawling to familiarize the players with how combat works
>they go back to where they live there's conflict there that leads to second quest
>second quest can be resolved however they like but it's supposed to introduce them to diplomacy
>after they're done doing second quest Big Bad (who's actually sorta mindcontrolled by a raider overlord with a huge fuckton of goons and cyborgs) launches nukes
>kills off things the pcs like
>disturbs the balance of power on a major scale
>after that the place they live at gets fucking invaded and they have to go to my actual worldspace to find out whats going on
>asked players beforehand if they want an somewhat open world game
>wrote down like 20 pages of quests
>they need to do those for the main quest to advance

hopefully everything works out but im confident
>>
>>54602656
If I would be playing that campaign, I think I would end up to be that raider overlord eventually
>>
>>54602904
The raider overlord is in an entirely different worldspace so thats unlikely

My guys will be busy defending the area from that guy (unless they ally with him) and attacking him will be the stuff of future campaigns
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.