[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dumb of an idea would it be to, over the course of a campaign,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: ppt thinking sounds.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ppt thinking sounds.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
How dumb of an idea would it be to, over the course of a campaign, reveal to the players that they aren't the people they thought they were in their backstories? Pulling a Cloud Strife on them, for example. Is that too obnoxious? Or can it set up a legitimately entertaining twist?
>>
>>54584264
>Is that too obnoxious?
Depends on if you let your players make their own backstories. If yes then the answer is yes. If no then answer is sometimes.
>>
File: 1460595631288.jpg (43KB, 214x329px) Image search: [Google]
1460595631288.jpg
43KB, 214x329px
>unknowingly being a princess
>>
>>54584264
Personally, I like to have control over my character's backstory and personality and I would feel that a GM who changes my backstory on a whim is overstepping the boundaries we have set for the game.
>>
>>54584264
Pretty dumb. Taking away players' custom-made backstories and roots in the setting is a great way to promore disengagement and push them toward murderhobo behaviors.

You want to further immerse players, not yank them out and say "lol actually it was all a lie aren't I clever?"
>>
Only in a very lighthearted game and only in a way that doesn't change who the pc is at their core.
>>
File: 1337138035232.jpg (18KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1337138035232.jpg
18KB, 300x400px
>>54586028
>>54585871
A surprise twist about a characters background can be interesting narratively, but I just don't think it'd work for these reasons. There's just too much risk of making the players feel like you're invalidating and railroading something that's actually quite personal and important to them.
>>
>>54584264
Bad idea. I'd be pretty pissed if I put a lot of time and thought into a character's backstory only for the GM to reveal "but it was all actually a lie!" If players want backstory-related surprises, they'll include little things like "my character is an orphan and has no idea who their parents were" for you to work with.
>>
>>54585836
>unknowingly being a princess(male)
>>
>>54584264
Just tell them straight-up that the game will contain the theme of altered memories.
>>
So this was actually something I did to my players. The key part was that their characters were immortal and had been living for a ridiculously long time, but due to some shenanigans from another immortal, each person had lost their memories some fifty years prior. I was able to spring grandchildren out nowhere and see how the character would deal with it. It really spoke to how the character was now.

Considering that the fifty years they were given allowed them to come up with whatever they wanted in terms of backstory and the task was then to deal with their past in whatever way they wanted.

I had one Player who got grand kids sprung on him but just sort of begrudgingly took them in until he could find a way to drop them off somewhere safe. He hated the idea of his past coming to haunt him. Meanwhile another player was going completely into investigating their past. It was a fun game to run.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.