[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the different between a Dark Jedi and a Sith Lord? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 12

File: 234536436734.png (282KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
234536436734.png
282KB, 500x500px
What is the different between a Dark Jedi and a Sith Lord? What is the difference between a Dragon, Drake, and Wyvern? Or that between a Knight and a Paladin?
>>
Sith follow a specific code. Dark Jedi are just fallen Jedi.
>>
>>54581960
You're literally asking what the difference between a lord and a knight is.
>>
>>54581982
But they both use the dark side and use lightsabers so i'm confused?
>>
>>54581960
Sith follow a very specific code of conduct, and there's usually only 2 at any given time.
Dark Jedi are just Jedi that use the dark side of the force for their own ambitions.
Like how Doo Doo told Ventress, she was no Sith. And neither was he but I digress.
>>
>>54581960
The Paladin were the 12 most importants knight of Charlemagne. Kinda like Arthur and the Round Table.
>>
>>54581982
Isn't the Sith code just doing whatever you want though?
>>
>>54581960
A Sith Lord is a high-ranking Dark Jedi.
A dragon has four legs.
A wyvern has two legs.
A drake has no legs.
A Paladin follows a religious code.
A Knight follows a code that may or may not be religious.
>>
I imagine the distinction really only matters to the spooky space magician in question. A Dark Jedi would probably be upset with you calling them a Sith Lord, but otherwise fuck if I know.
Dragon and drake are interchangeable, wyvern is usually something less impressive but dragon-like. In RPG terms they just use as many different dragon sounding words as possible so they can make more stat blocks.
Knight is a title given that doesn't even necessarily mean you fight shit, while paladin refers to a member of Charlemagne's court. In RPG terms knight is all over the place while paladin pretty much always means they have holy powers
>>
>>54581960
To find the answers to these questions and many more, read a fucking book!
>>
>>54582049

No, it's a whole thing about how power will bring you freedom.
>>
>>54582053
No that's wrong, a Drake has four legs but no wings. An Amphitere has wings but no legs
>>
>>54582008
>Sith follow a very specific code of conduct
Correct partly. The Sith are a formal Force-Using organization that is the anithesis to the Jedi, a Dark Jedi is merely a fallen Jedi whose embraced the dark side. That however like we know Dooku told Ventress, "does not make one however a Sith Lord". The Sith have tenants, beliefs, their own codes, and system. The Dark Jedi merely embrance the dark side but lack the same access to their powers and abilities.
>there's usually only 2 at any given time
Incorrect. The Rule of Two only exists for Bane's Order of Sith Lords. The Rule of the Strong, Rule of One Sith, etc...don't share this caveat however.
>>
>>54582049
Couldn't settle down with your waifu. Couldn't be compassionate for the sake of it. Couldn't wish for a peaceful life.
>>
>>54581960
What is the difference between a Teutonic Knight and a knight in general

The first one is a specific order, the second is a catch-all category
>>
>>54582053
Paladins don't really follow a religious code in DnD traditionally, just a code (though they might always follow a deity in Forgotten Realms)
>>
>>54581960
>What is the different between a Dark Jedi and a Sith Lord?
The Sith are a religion and wielding the Dark Side does NOT make you one, same way being Force Sensitive doesn't automatically make you a Jedi.

>What is the difference between a Dragon, Drake, and Wyvern?
Depends on the author, and anyone who says otherwise is a lying cunt.
>>
Sith a specific ideology of dark jedi.
>What is the difference between a Dragon, Drake, and Wyvern?
Dragon is two terms, one referring to all of the taxonomic class Draconia, or to "true" dragons which are magically powerful sapient dragons with two batlike wings and four limbs, tied to a specific element or metal. A drake is any type of dog to horse sized nonsapient dragon. A wyvern is a specific type of dragon which has batlike wings for arms, two legs, and a often a stinger on its tail.
>Or that between a Knight and a Paladin?
A knight is a mounted warrior and often of low nobility. A paladin is a warrior (often mounted) imbued by a god to serve the church and the people. They can be from any background.
>>
>>54582006
I can use an M16A4, that doesn't make me a Marine.
>>
>>54582286
>Sith a specific ideology of dark jedi.
More like a specific ideology of dark Force-Sensitives.
>>
>>54582362
Whoops wrong thread. Well either way, here's the Sith Code to show how they're different from the jedi.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
>>
>>54582286
>A knight is a mounted warrior and often of low nobility.
That's basically what a cataphract is.
>>
>>54582855
>Chronicled by many historians from the earliest days of Antiquity up until the High Middle Ages, they are believed to have influenced the later European knights, via contact with the Byzantine Empire.
>>
>>54582006
If use a knife, does that make me a master chef? No? Of course not you stupid retard
>>
Depends on setting.
>>
>>54582379
>Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
>Through passion, I gain strength.
>Through strength, I gain power.
>Through power, I gain victory.
>Through victory, my chains are broken.
>The Force shall free me.

FUCK THIS REVISIONIST FUCKING BULLSHIT

WHY THE FUCK DID THE PREQUELS GET ALL "oh light jedi are limp dick faggots who don't get excited or rustle jimies"

FUCK THIS FUCKING GARBAGE
>>
>>54582286

>Dragon is two terms, one referring to all of the taxonomic class Draconia, or to "true" dragons which are magically powerful sapient dragons with two batlike wings and four limbs, tied to a specific element or metal. A drake is any type of dog to horse sized nonsapient dragon. A wyvern is a specific type of dragon which has batlike wings for arms, two legs, and a often a stinger on its tail.

Booooring.

Dragon, drake, wyvern, and wurm are all the above used interchangeably depending on which area of the world you are in.
>>
>>54583574
Agreed. Prequels and EU ruined the jedi forever.
>>
>>54583700
What's the deal with the prequels? I kinda liked them. Especially the Revenge. Admittedly, i was pretty young back then.

EU is shit, though.
>>
Dragons have two wings and four legs
Wyverns have two wings and four legs
Wurms/wyrms are the largest, oldest, and most powerful dragons
Drakes are every other kind of draconoid
Paladins are magic, knights aren't
>>
>>54583584
>Dragon, drake, wyvern, and wurm are all the above used interchangeably depending on which area of the world you are in.
Now that is boring, as if all the terms made up in Europe are used in areas which are not European in flavor. At least my way I can use a fuckton of various dragons of all shapes sizes and abilities, having them all exist in a pseudoscientific taxonomy which can be exploited by adventurers and people of the various realms.
>>
>>54583998
I always thought of wurms/wyrms/worms/werms/warms as more primitive than most other dragons if that makes sense. Usually on the larger side and with less legs than usual.

That said, >>54583584 and >>54582273 are right, specific terms for dragons mean whatever you want (unless you're talking about like medieval heraldry or something where a wyvern is something specific)
>>
>>54583900
Changing established shit
>>
>>54581960
Depends on a the canon. A Sith Lord. Depends on the setting (X3). Depends on the setting (X2),
>>
>>54582096
Elaborate? Which edition D&D? Actual question. I always thought D&D paladins were literally Fighter + Cleric + flavoring mashed together into one class.
>>
>>54583900
>>54583700
Fuck off Disney.
>>
>>54583700
>Agreed. Prequels and EU ruined the jedi forever.
Nah.
The Jedi are the Jedi are the Jedi.

Never exposed to too much of the eu, but I've heard terrible things.
A question to you and >>54583574
Where does
>"oh light jedi are limp dick faggots who don't get excited or rustle jimies"
Follow from the prequels or
>Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
?

Jedi respecting peace has always made sense.
The whole idea of being "free of passion" if you're a Jedi always seemed like a misperception.
Like how love is fine, but attachment is discouraged.
It just makes sense.
A calm and peaceful Jedi is one in control, not passionless.
Giving in to whatever volatile passions you have at the moment was always spelled out as a path to the Dark Side.

In short, what are y'all on about?

Also, I seem to remember Master Jedi Mace Windu of the Jedi Council getting his jimmies rustled.
>>
>>54586291
He's making shit up. The stagnation of the Jedi Order happens over thousands of years by the time they hit their cocky nadir in the Rise of the Empire Era/PT period. The Jedi originally were fine with things like marriage and children and possessing spouses. Its only after major schisms like the Force Wars, the exile of the Dark Jedi after the final one to Korriban to form the Sith and especially by Revan's time were things like marriage and emotions really demanded to be dialed down to be a good Jedi.

The Jedi regressed.

EU didn't pussify them, it showed them as how they were and how they ended up by the time of the modern era with Luke and Vader's own legacies.
>>
>>54581960
Religion.
Nothing.
One is a hobbit and the other is a noble.
>>
>>54581960
Sith are actually part of the Sith Order and follow it's code and rules. If we're talking post-Bane, there's only two Sith at a time (with some exceptions, according to Plageuis).

Dark Jedi are tricky to define. They range anywhere from Jedi that dabble in the dark side and have begun to fall, or former Jedi that fell because of their use of the dark side and now are part of no organization.

Dark Jedi is also used loosely in-universe as a term for any darksider who isn't Sith.
>>
>>54586788
>Religion.
t. Karen Traviss
>>
>>54586975
>KT
Is there nothing this women hasn't ruined?
>turns Mandalorians into the literal equivalent of Klingons in Star Wars/EU
>obsessed with the Fetts
>calls people who rightfully point out her hypocrisy, double-standards, and terrible writing as "talifans"
>shitted up Halo, especially Dr. Halsey's character
>shitted up Gears of War too
>>
>>54586975
>literally what the use of the force is referred to in ANH by that imperial officer towards Anakin
>>
>>54587113
>literally what an ignorant Tagge CLAIMS about the Jedi and Sith arrogantly
>>
>>54587113
Yeah but that's wrong because Tarkin's toadie is talking out of his ass. The Jedi could be equated SOMEWHAT with being an order of quasi note QUASI religious space wizard psychic monks because of how they follow the Force.

The Sith? No.
The Sith seek to CONTROL the Force.
Not have the Force control them.

That's one of the major defining differences between the Jedi and Sith. The Jedi will do what they think the Force directs them toward keeping balance and order, the Sith will impose themselves on the Force to get what they want.
>>
File: White_Sith_by_FantasyAce.jpg (195KB, 864x509px) Image search: [Google]
White_Sith_by_FantasyAce.jpg
195KB, 864x509px
>>54587150
Came in this thread to post this. Absolutely correct.

Dark Jedi, are jedi who have turned to use of the dark side.

Sith is a praxis in which the adherent learns to subjugate the force to bend to their will. That is why they are capable of sorcery and alchemy. Just using the dark side is not going to give you that amount of control over matter and energy.

Jedi culture was added into it, since it originally sprouted from dark jedi and sith(race) kind of making their own clan/temple
>>
>>54586975
OK what does t. mean?

At that, what do """triple quotes""" imply?
>>
>>54586618
>He's making shit up.
That's what it looked like, but I dunno.

>The Jedi regressed.
>EU didn't pussify them, it showed them as how they were and how they ended up
My view was, no matter what they used to be, the only indication that the Jedi are anything other than badass Good Guys is fan misinterpretation and stuff from the Sith perspective, easily dismissed as propaganda.
>>
>>54587365
Seeing as how we saw the Jedi literally try to genocide the Sith, they are hardly absolute good guys.
>>
Dragon is 4 limbs + wings
Wyvern 2 limbs +wings
Drake is 4 limbs no wings
>>
>>54587376
*in tales of the Jedi
>>
>>54587376
>>54587413
In that source, was there any other realistic method of resolving the threat of the Sith?

Also, all forms of conflict resolution involve the deliberate eradicateion of your enemies, either by ensuring they no longer exist or ensuring they no longer exist "as your enemy".
Convert or die are literally the only options for peace.
(Allowing superficial conversion)
>>
>>54587699
What are you on about? The point was the Jedi didn't simply want to "defeat" the Sith but entirely wipe out an entire fucking civilization to the literal point of genocide. There is no moral high ground here.
>>
>>54583574
>FUCK THIS REVISIONIST FUCKING BULLSHIT
When you consider that the vast majority of Sith start their lives as slaves, it makes sense to have a code built around gaining freedom.
>>
>>54587348
>OK what does t. mean?

It's another way of citation, essentially when he said "t. Karen Traviss", he is implying that the person he's replying to is Karen Traviss because he's espousing similar views.

>At that, what do """triple quotes""" imply?

Heavy sarcasm, because this site doesn't allow italicized text afaik.
>>
>>54588503
>because this site doesn't allow italicized text afaik.
It doesn't. /lit/ has pushed for it for years because it makes quoting literature better for viewing than greentext, but nothing has happened.
>>
>>54582308
Technically he's right from a certain point of view- the Sith spun out of the Jedi in both Legends and in canon.
>>
>>54587740
And what were the Sith doing?
Perhaps actively working to harm the Jedi, the Force, and cuddly kittens?
Clearly something.
I suspect that the Sith were, by dint of being Sith, an enemy of the Jedi.
So, the only way to stop being an enemy of the Jedi would be to either stop being a Sith or die and thereby stop being a Sith.

Like how Law Enforcement is trying to commit genocide on Active Criminals.
Either by stopping them from being Active Criminals and instead becoming Convicts, Former Criminals, and the Exonerated, or by killing them.
Those are the only two options.
>>
>>54587740
Considering the Sith are the ones who started the conflict and literally every time they come back they start YET ANOTHER galactic scale war, then the Jedi stopping the Sith through absolute total destruction is definitely the moral high ground. The Jedi aren't wanton murderers, the Sith ARE. The Jedi don't support slavery, the Sith DO.

And every time they come back to prominence, untold numbers of civilians die until the Jedi stop the Sith and beat them back into nothing.
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.png (211KB, 371x302px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.png
211KB, 371x302px
Dark Jedi are bad guy Jedi.

Sith are "We need to make a villain in this prequel and everyone liked Darth Vader. So now let's make every villain wear black and use a red lightsaber and call him Darth ok cool."
>>
>>54589291
Anon, the term Sith predates the original movie - it's in the novelization for it, in fact, as well as in deleted scenes.

Darth Vader has been the Dark Lord of the Sith since 1976. We just didn't know what a Sith actually was (barring Zahn's "the Noghri are actually the Sith" BS) until the prequels.
>>
>>54589351
You're right but my point stands. the 'Sith' weren't actually anything until they were defined in the prequels.
>>
>>54582006
Being a sith is to follow a specific ideology. The dark side is not sith specific.

At least, that's what it's supposed to be, but Star Wars is trash so they are basically the same thing.
>>
>>54589421
Which I suspect was another directive of George's, alongside no writers making material about the time leading up to the OT films.

>>54589458
We've seen other dark side traditions in canon and in Legends, and most of them are not like the Sith at all.
>>
>>54589122
>And what were the Sith doing?
Conquest, not genocide.
>>
>>54589129
>Jedi aren't wanton murders
>want to wipe an entire civilization; which doesn't exclude its civilian population/non-combatants
>bombard their planets surfaces into irritated glassed deserts
That doesn't again give them moral high ground to wipe out an entire species.
>>
>>54589674
The Mandalorians are the only civilization outside of the Sith whom the Jedi have glassed, and the Sith do not have civilians - they have Sith, and they have slaves. The Mandalorians at the time that the Republic (not the Jedi, the Republic) glassed their planet were the same way. There were no noncombatants. It was literally a last-ditch effort to stop an on-going war.
>>
>>54589660
>Conquest, not genocide.
Conquest is also "Convert or die".

"Submit to our rule or be killed." is worse than "Stop 'trying to get everyone to submit to your rule or be killed' or be killed."
Pretending otherwise is simply contrarian "dindu nuthin" nonsense.

>>54589674
>>54589724
>Sith do not have civilians
Thank you.
>>
>>54589724
>the Sith do not have civilians - they have Sith, and they have slaves.

The Sith Empire was a literal empire, you're telling me it had 0 civilians?
>>
>>54590062
>Pretending otherwise is simply contrarian "dindu nuthin" nonsense.
The issue is more that genocide is objectively wrong no matter what the other side has done. Because it means even killing those that haven't even done wrong yet, on the basis of coming from that group.

The criminal parallel doesn't work because by definiton every criminal has already committed a crime.
>>
>>54590466
Yes. Either you were a Sith, and thus an evil space wizard and a combatant, or you were a slave to the Sith.
>>
>>54590536

Someone didn't play the games where you could actively be in the empire. Bounty Hunters are neither, they're hired out to the empire.
>>
>>54589724
The Mandos are different because they didn't really WANT anything aside from a glorious war. You can't really negotiate with people who don't want anything other than more fighting, the Sith just want power and control.
>>
>>54590552
>Bounty Hunters are neither, they're hired out to the empire.
If we're talking about TOR it wasn't even that, it's just that the Great Hunt was taking place in Empire space so it required having the correct paperwork.
>>
>>54589724
>Sith do not have civilians
t. Jedi Master Wedidonuffinwrong
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 284x177px
>>54590522
>Because it means even killing those that haven't even done wrong yet, on the basis of coming from that group.
>The criminal parallel doesn't work because by definiton every criminal has already committed a crime
And by definition, every Sith has already done wrong, according to the Jedi.

What the anon who brought it up really did was refer to one side of a war seeking to eliminate all of their enemy by using the polarizing term "genocide".
That's it.

The Jedi were not sneaking into Sith Nurseries and Sith Cribs to kill Sith Babies.
There are no Sith Babies.
>>
>>54590927
>>Sith do not have civilians
They don't.

>t. Jedi Master Wedidonuffinwrong
Jedi have done wrong, but they aren't genocidal madmen picking on pure, innocent Sith children playing in meadows.

Stop being an ass.
>>
>>54590931
>There are no Sith Babies.
If you ignore that the Sith are also a race.
>>
>>54590994
>but they aren't genocidal madmen picking on pure, innocent Sith children playing in meadows.

Anon not every Sith is the equivalent of how /pol/ sees the Jews. The reality is the Sith kill each other more than anyone else, because when you have a system of succession based on backstabbing, you're going to get a lot of backstabbing.
>>
>>54591175
>If you ignore that the Sith are also a race.
Citation Needed
>>
File: sith-pb.png (232KB, 510x281px) Image search: [Google]
sith-pb.png
232KB, 510x281px
>>54590931
>And by definition, every Sith has already done wrong, according to the Jedi.
Yes, always trust the Jedi. They are right and the Sith are wrong.

It's not that the very existence of the force creates people that always want to kill each other, no it's the users at fault.

>>54591288
Sith Pureblood, the species that the name is taken from. The Lord of the Sith originally referred to the force-using leader of their race.
>>
>>54591215
>Anon not every Sith is that bad, they're just backstabbing backstabbers who backstab
Not sure if you're doing the best job of making your point.
Yes, when you have a society that encourages evil, people in that society will tend to be more evil.
>>
>>54591352

You can always trust a backstabber to backstab. It's the loyal people you need to be wary of.
>>
Dragons are magic and/or sapient, wyverns are not
>>
>>54581960
What's the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant.
>>
>>54591381
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal?
>>
>>54591302
>It's not that the very existence of the force creates people that always want to kill each other
How's that then?

>Sith Pureblood, the species that the name is taken from.
Are these the same Sith the Jedi wanted to wipe out, or are you being a cretin?
>>
>>54591381
Settle down and enjoy your rum.
>>
>>54591418
>How's that then?
Because the Force only creates problems. Imagine how much better the galaxy would be if they had a way to be rid of the Force forever. Every, and I mean EVERY problem in the greater universe is caused by people who use the Force.

>>54591418
>Are these the same Sith the Jedi wanted to wipe out, or are you being a cretin?
They're the reason the Sith have a code and all because before that it was just a bunch of renegade force users. Then the Sith were found and enslaved by human dark jedi, and the modern idea of the Sith was created.
>>
All this about how all Sith must be destroyed ignores that Vader, 1 of 2 Sith responsible for wiping out 99% of the Jedi, was able to redeem himself through the power of love for his son.
>>
On the note of the light and dark side, SW has a lot to say to the generations that watch it. When ANH was released in 1977, society was desperate for a film with clear-cut good vs. evil storylines. Much of what Hollywood was producing leading up to ANH lacked such a moral division, and America was beginning to become disillusioned with itself. People flocked to Star Wars because it offered a fairytale where corrupt and oppressive leaders were met with justice by the hands of an idealistic farmer. America needed to hear that even the smallest person could have a huge and positive impact on their world. In the OT, the Jedi and the Sith represented the two paths we could all take: using your potential for good or evil purposes. The message was simple: One could become very powerful by being evil but at the cost of losing your humanity. Now that we live in a world where economics and religion cause our wars and not idealistic (good or bad) governments, Star Wars changed. Lucas was attempting to update Star Wars with the prequels by having the Separatists represent the corrupt business/politics of our world. The Jedi and the Sith were presented much differently than in the OT, which your post addresses. Both parties were way too eager and willing to resort to war. Yoda in the OT realizes this, but he and Obi-Wan were even blinded to the notion that Vader could be redeemed. Luke may have had too much faith in the Jedi way, too, maybe leading him to repeat the failure of the Jedi before him.
>>
>>54591616
meant to quote someone but I can't find the post now.
>>
>only a sith deals in absolutes
>Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil! The Sith are evil. The Dark Side of the Force is an evil presence.
>>
>>54591578
And that is an extreme outlier that might not have happened to anyone else

It's also the other outcome that other anons have been showing here - dead, or no longer Sith.

Though in Vader's case, he basically hit both of those.
>>
>>54591465
>Because the Force only creates problems. Imagine how much better the galaxy would be if they had a way to be rid of the Force forever. Every, and I mean EVERY problem in the greater universe is caused by people who use the Force.
Well, this certainly sounds like a completely unbiased and balanced perspective and not at all like the musings of a video game final antagonist.
Definitely.

>They're the reason the Sith have a code and all because before that it was just a bunch of renegade force users. Then the Sith were found and enslaved by human dark jedi, and the modern idea of the Sith was created.
So I take it this means:
1. No, the Jedi weren't trying to wipe out a species
2. You missed what I did there with the word "cretin"
>>
>>54591465
Thanks for answering my questions though.
>>
>>54591578
This is why I added the "convert" to my "convert or die" point
>>
>>54591993
>Well, this certainly sounds like a completely unbiased and balanced perspective and not at all like the musings of a video game final antagonist.

It doesn't matter if Kreia said it, it's still true. Jedi and Sith only cause problems for normal people.
>>
>>54592032
How do Jedi, by themselves, cause a problem for normal people?

They /solve/ problems for normal people, more than anything.
>>
>>54587305
Good use of the word praxis, anon.
>>
>>54592073

The Jedi's only reason for existing for normal people is because of the Sith. If there are no Sith, the people have no need of Jedi. Without Sith the Jedi are just an illegitimate force in the republic.
>>
>>54592032
>It doesn't matter if Kreia said it
True enough, stupid is as stupid does.

>Jedi and Sith cause problems for normal people.
Almost certainly true.

>Jedi and Sith only cause problems for normal people.
Almost certainly inane bullshit that no sane person cold believe.

This reminds me of the time I met a guy who earnestly espoused the idea that the Police only "tear society down".
>>
>>54592140
>This reminds me of the time I met a guy who earnestly espoused the idea that the Police only "tear society down".
Society doesn't need the police, the people banded together and armed can take care of themselves.
>>
>>54592139
Literally none of that is true.

Why are you saying things, when you're so bad at it?
Is it deliberate?
>>
>>54592139
The Jedi existed long before the Sith. The Sith are the ones who exist because of the Jedi, not the other way around.

Without the Sith, the Jedi do the exact same thing we see them do in canon. Study science, teach, work as mediators in disputes, and solve crimes.

Without the Jedi, the Sith wouldn't have existed in the first place, but if the Jedi were completely wiped out by the Sith, then they'll go on and subjugate and devastate worlds - like they do in Legends and canon both when the Jedi are assumed to have been wiped out.
>>
>>54592174
>Society doesn't need the police when it can become the police it doesn't need because it can become the police it doesn't need.
>>
>>54592242
>not understand the difference between society and an oppressive body that can act above it
>>
>>54592139
>For thousands of years the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the Republic.

Sounds pretty useful.

I know "it came from a jedi, it's just propaganda" but that's clearly not the tone of the scene.
>>
>>54592316
Yoda contradicts it anyway in that the Jedi aren't exactly perfect at their job
>But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him…well, arrogant.
>Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.
>>
>>54592348
You can be a guardian of peace and justice and not be perfect.

The two facts are not contradictory.
>>
>>54592411
Generally the last thing you want from a guardian of peace is to become arrogant due to your authority.
>>
>>54591465
>Because the Force only creates problems. Imagine how much better the galaxy would be if they had a way to be rid of the Force forever. Every, and I mean EVERY problem in the greater universe is caused by people who use the Force.
Go back to bed Kreia.
>>
>>54592429
They were arrogant because of their skills, not because of their authority.

And my point still stands. They were the guardians of the Republic. Their arrogance or lack thereof does not mean that they were bad at their job, or that they were unqualified for it.
>>
>>54592260
Yeah, you can't. Pity.
>>
>>54581960
>Dragon, Drakes and Wyverns.
Dragons are defined as 6-limbed lizards (4 legs, a pair of wings) with relatively feline skeletal positioning and varying breath and scale colors

Wyverns are 4-limbed lizards (2 hind legs and 2 wings with small claws at their extremities)with a reptile skeletal positioning and either a Steam breath or a corroding breath.

Drakes are similar to dragons in shape and form but have no breath and are significantly smaller
>>
>>54592411
>>54592467
Wisdom, this anon speaks.
>>
>>54592467
>or that they were unqualified for it.
Police are like politicians. Anyone that actively wants a job with power is too dangerous to be given it.
>>
>>54592543
That's a far more pessimistic take on people than Star Wars has, anon.

Also, the Jedi didn't ask to become the mediators or the police or the generals, they were asked by others. They weren't originally so deeply tied to the Republic.
>>
>>54590994
>They don't.
They do.
>Jedi have done wrong
You are defending the Jedi regardless attempting complete genocide, you goofball. They are totally genocidal madmen when it comes to the Sith and completely lose their shit, which is consistent both in EU and in the films themselves with what we saw with how Windu and Yoda were reacting to the revelation of Palpatine being Sidious.
>>
File: Exar Kun 1.png (1MB, 750x762px) Image search: [Google]
Exar Kun 1.png
1MB, 750x762px
>>54591418
>Are these the same Sith the Jedi wanted to wipe out, or are you a cretin?
Are you a moron? Not that anon but its clear you are very much not at all familiar with EU. The original/pre-Disney canon with EU has it set up that the last great schism in the Jedi Order happened almost 7000 years before the events of the Original and Prequel Trilogies. The survivors, the last band of Dark Jedi, were exiled to the regions of space beyond the Republic's frontiers and they were forced to settle in a number of closely linked star systems. The principal of which was Korriban, home to the Sith species.

Through interbreeding, assimilation, and dark side fueled sorcery, the human and near-human Dark Jedi therefore mixed with the Sith species (divided into Castes) and became the forerunners of the modern Sith. So yes, they were both a creed and a race.
>>
>>54592649
The Sith don't have civilians, anon. They have Sith Force users, and soldiers, and everyone else is a slave.

Windu and Yoda knew that a Sith was behind the Clone Wars. Windu was ready to relieve Palpatine of the power he had stated he was going to give up when the war was over (and it was, essentially, already over) and didn't learn about Palpatine's identity as the Sith Lord they had been looking for until he was literally stepping onto the speeder to take him to get Palpatine to give up the emergency powers.

Yoda didn't learn of Palpatine's identity until after he had already been betrayed by his clone troopers and returned to Coruscant, at which point ~95% of the Jedi had been wiped out.
>>
>>54592731
>The Sith don't have civilians, anon.
Yes they do, you moron. Both the original Sith Empire and the revitalized Sith Empire have a civilian population independent of its Force-User and military ranks.
>>
>>54592750
No, they really didn't. They had the upper castes, the Force users, and they had literally everyone else, who either served in the military, or served as slaves.
>>
Why do people get so autistic whenever black/white morality vs moral ambiguity in star wars gets brought up?
>>
>>54592731
>The Sith don't have civilians, anon. They have Sith Force users, and soldiers, and everyone else is a slave.
You think the bartender at the local cantina is a slave? You might as well side with HK-47 here

>Commentary: I often find pride im my master's misplaced moral compass. The extermination droids are my master's crowning achievement, they are equipped with bioscanners capable of detecting Sith genetic material. Any organics with Sith ancestry will be slaughtered, this includes 97.8% of the imperial population.
>This was never about winning the war, you're talking about genocide.
>Emphasis: 97.8% efficient genocide. Commentary: As much as I'm looking forward to butchering our enemies planet by planet, I have missed the personal touch. Your bones will make excellent trophies to commemorate my return to assassination.
>>
>>54592865
Yes, they really do, moron.
>castes
Not after the Dark Jedi mixed with them, the concept of castes dividing the sub-races became completely ignored for the most part. Stop lying.
>>
>>54582080
No, an ampitheater is a stage with no building, and subsequently no wings, a theater has wings though
>>
>>54585541
The paladin of Dungeons and Dragons has little to do with paladins in a historical context.

In D&D, the first edition based on the Chainmail War Game, the paladin was an option for the Fighting Man in the Greyhawk expansion, but ONLY for a law abiding fighter with a high Charisma:

"Charisma scores of 17 or greater by fighters indicate the possibility of paladin status IF THEY ARE LAWFUL from the commencement of play for that character. If such fighters elect to they can then become paladins, always doing lawful deeds, for any chaotic act will immediately revoke the status of paladin, and it can never be regained."

If you could somehow manage to play without doing anything your Dungeon Master deemed chaotic, you received abilities to heal, cure disease, immunity to disease, immunity to magic with a Holy Sword drawn. It was basically a reward for accepting a moral obligation to obey the law.

Subsequent editions gave the paladin a limited ability to cast holy spells, like a cleric, and restricted them to the Lawful Good alignment. their vows have occasionally been codified; there's a different code for paladins in AD&D, D&D 3E, Pathfinder has its own set, etc. The paladin's code is sometimes conflated with religious disciplines.

As game-play options expanded, much to the chagrin of traditionalists, paladins no longer needed to be good or lawful, and their codes became more like guidelines.
>>
File: tmp_1498232987650-1607494517.png (969KB, 794x976px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1498232987650-1607494517.png
969KB, 794x976px
>>54593221
thanks anon, you made my day. Here, have whatever I have on my phone right now.
>>
A dragon has 4 legs and two wings. A wyvern has two legs and two wings (skyrim dragons). A drake has four legs and no wings and looks a bit like a reptilian horse. There's also a wyrm which has two wings and no legs.
>>
>>54592649
>They do.
They don't.

Reaction to Palpatine being Sidious =/= mad genocidal hatred of the Sith
Silly rabbit, try harder.

>>54593169
>>54592750
>>54592710
Were any of these the specific ones the Jedi allegedly wanted to wipe out?
If not, it's irrelevant.
>>
>>54595550
>They don't.
Wrong.
>Reaction to Palpatine being Sidious
Reaction to Palpatine being disarmed, his back to a wall and literally defenseless (even when feigning it for Anakin's sake) had Windu prepared to execute a defeated man and bypass the laws and constitution of justice in the Republic.

The Jedi will kill Sith on principle out of hand. Also stop mixing the goal posts.

>Were any of these the specific ones the Jedi allegedly wanted to wipe out?
Yes, you retarded piss-ant mongoloid.The first encounter after Naga Sadow's defeat was the totality of the entire Jedi Order and Republic war fleets wiping out every Sith planet. That's why the Sith fled in a panic under Vitiate's leadership and plotted their revenge for over a thousand years you moron. It wasn't just about reconquest, it was about paying the Jedi back for razing their worlds and wiping out large portions of their population.
>>
>>54598108
Just because the man had no lightsaber does not mean he wasn't a threat. Remember that Force lightning?

And Mace was right - Palpatine had control over the Senate and the courts. He'd go free and the Jedi would look even worse than the war has already made them look.

And again, this is not just "a defenseless old man" that Mace was going to kill, this was a man who masterminded both sides of a galactic scale war, and one of the strongest Force users to ever live.
>>
>>54581960
Dark Jedi do not follow the Sith code or religion.

Dragon - Noble member of it's genus
Drake - Lesser member of it's genus
Wyvern - least member of it's genus

A knight is a warrior who fights in heavy armor, has a noble title and a lot of training. Basically a well to do fighter.
A Paladin is a knight blessed by the divine who can channel heavenly powers for his righteous cause.
>>
>>54598108
>The Jedi will kill Palpatine on principle out of hand.
FTFY

Also:
>Unarmed Palpatine
>Defeated Man
pick one
Mace was no fool.

>Yes, you retarded piss-ant mongoloid.The first encounter after Blahblah Blabdow's defeat was the blahblahblah. That's why the Sith fled in a panic under Blahblah's leadership and plotted their blahblah for over blahblah years you moron.
Sorry I haven't read all your precious fiction.
If I had, I wouldn't have asked the question, would I? Huh dipshit?

Republic war fleets wiping out enemy planets I can see.
The Jedi Order being down with ending life on a planetary scale doesn't sound right.
If true, I bet they totally did it for no reason whatsoever.
Just for the lulz, amirite?
>>
>>54598712
>Sorry I haven't read all your precious fiction.
You mean you aren't sorry for being a pompous retard who was talking out of his ass on 4chan and lying about something you have no right to talk about while acting like an authority on? Who would've figured that?
>>
>>54598869
You seem very angry.
You really love your precious eu, don't you?

More to the point, can you recall from your precious fiction, what motivations the Jedi Order might have indicated as they threw their heads back, cackling maniacally as they murdered little Baby Siths in their little Sith Cribs in their little Sith Nurseries?
>>
File: 1460356115309.png (231KB, 5000x4950px) Image search: [Google]
1460356115309.png
231KB, 5000x4950px
>>54598989
>projecting this badly
>>
>>54599049
So, you can't recall their motivations then?
That's okay.
It seems like a lot of really random crap to have to piece together.
But, that's admittedly just an unfamiliar outside perspective of it.

Also, I'm not sure you're using the term "projecting" correctly.
That's something else you can study up on.
>>
File: 1462172921331.png (163KB, 700x700px)
1462172921331.png
163KB, 700x700px
>>54599093
>continuing this ad naseum like a retard
>>
>>54599637
>posting the same image and snarky greentext because you can't into words other than "retard"
>>
>>54599093
Are you obstinate? Or just being painfully pedantic, dude? I'm a different anon here but if you don't give a shit about EU why are you trying to wax poetic and save face by dragging out an argument on something directly stemming from EU here? The Jedi showed up at the end of Sadow's reign after his failed bid to take over the galaxy and backtrapped Sadow's fleet withdrawing from their route back to Sith territory thanks to Garv knowing their coordinates. His sister leads a Republic fleet into said destination and they outright arbirate a decision to simply wipe out the decimated Sith who are already crippled by their failed invasion and subsequent civil war between Sadow's forces and Ludo's own ones. Sadow refuses to stand down and then the attempt at mass exterminating the Sith commences.

Stop being an ass.
>>
File: 1446747189060.jpg (22KB, 347x314px) Image search: [Google]
1446747189060.jpg
22KB, 347x314px
>>54599767
>same image
>Kerry
>Shirou
>>
>>54599767
Your anime power level is shit anon.
>>
>>54599822
>then the attempt at mass exterminating the Sith commences.
I'm simply asking for the reasoning given for this decision so as to frame this as either:

1. Fans taking a single act of genocide done by a specific group of Jedi to mean the Jedi are all about wholesale genocide and slaughter, as long as it is Sith.
A companion concept to "Sith dindu nuthin."

2. The EU decided it would be neat to make the Jedi Order genocidal madmen for no raisen.
This would actually make the EU worse than I've heard.

3. The decision to order the mass extermination of the Sith was not made in rage but was a complex decision forged of tragic necessity and made with difficulty, the ultimate wisdom of which remaining questionable.
This is the one I'm hoping for.
>>
>>54600151
Seriously too long ; didn't read. Why do you care to beat the dead horse after admitting you have no idea what's going on? Why are you pushing your head canon into something you know nothing about at all?
>>
>>54599842
Same face, same difference.

>>54599874
>Your anime power level is shit anon.
Um, thanks?
I think you mean anime memery.
Bitch please. I've literally been a fan of Miyazaki for over thirty years.
I like what I like and watch what I watch.
My tastes skew a little more Justy Tylor than most.
I've missed a few gems here and there, but I can't be bothered to learn anime just to know anime.
>>
>>54600164
>Doesn't read answer, then asks questions
Me want know why Jedi do thing.
Me want know if fans dumb, eu dumb, or Jedi thing not bad as seem
Savvy?
>>
>>54600300
>Same face
Not same character though.

>>54600375
Nah, I still don't think I can get dumb enough down to your level to make some sort of equivalency there.
>>
>>54593981
Thanks. So RPG paladins went like
pure knights -> pure knights whose goodness lets them perform miracles -> hey miracles have to come from somewhere, let's make them fighter+cleric lookalike -> gods are passe, the paladin draws power from their code now
>>
>>54600733
not him

same face
>>
>>54600733
>Nah, I still don't think I can get dumb enough down to your level to make some sort of equivalency there.
I can't really use smaller words, mate.
Is there someone there that can help you read?
>>
>>54582049
>Sith
Only goal is to strive for greater levels of power no matter the cost while stripping away your possible weaknesses. This would be lack of combat abilities, relationships that could be used as leverage against you, relying on others to protect you or provide services for you.

>Dark Jedi
Basically a jedi who has forsaken the anti-emotion, anti-celibate Jedi code because they just want to have fun. A dark jedi does not automatically make them evil, just that they embrace their emotions. Unfortunately dark jedi usually end up using the dark side and sliding into evil acts.
>>
>>54602048
Curious where you got the idea that Jedi are emotionless.
>>
>>54581960
A code

>What is the difference between a Dragon,
6 limbs
>Drake,
Normally smaller than a dragon
>and Wyvern?
4 limbs, sometimes poison sting rather than breath

>Or that between a Knight
Titled warrior
>and a Paladin?
Normally a holy warrior
>>
>>54602112
>There is no emotion, there is peace. - Jedi Code
The first line of the fucking code.

>Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
So fear, anger, and hate are to be avoided.

>Jedi are outlawed for having relationships.
Love and jealousy are to be avoided.

etc.

I'm curious on where you got the idea that they were not emotionless? Just the movies alone point towards this being the case while also massively contradicting itself by having Jedi show emotion for film drama purposes. Not many people want to watch a real Jedi who acts like a droid. Hell even droids were emotional in star wars actually.
>>
>>54602988
>The first line of the fucking code.
Only the Sith believe in absolutes.
As such, the tenet "There is no emotion, there is peace." is an absolute taken by any Jedi with even a bit of wisdom to mean "Emotion, yet peace."

Obviously there is emotion.
The idea is to not be swept away with emotion and lose control.

>So fear, anger, and hate are to be avoided.
Okay, true enough. Those emotions are far to easy to get swept away by.

>Love and jealousy are to be avoided.
Attachment is to be avoided.
Because attachment leads to fear of losing that attachment and fear leads to, well, you know.

Peace and calm is not emotionlessness.
Hence the Jedi in the movies showing emotion.
It's about calm, peace, and self control.
Like how meditation isn't the absence of thought, but more of the letting go of thoughts as they come.

"Passion, yet serenity."
>>
Since this has sorta become a jedi debate thread, am I the only one wondering why anakin went to yoda of all people to get counseling on his vision of losing someone? That muppet was 800 years old, think of how many friends he's lost due to age alone in that time.
>>
>>54581960
Dunno. The number of limbs, and the purity of blood: Wyverns have wings as forearms, or attached the forearms like the thumb of a dog. A Dragon typically has four limbs, plus wings. Drakes are a sub-secies/inferior breed to a dragon and usually non-intelligent if a dragon is. May also count as a wyvern though the three are all from the same genus. Think Stallions and Asses. A Paladin is a Knight who served with Charlemagne. Think Soldier and SEAL. In Roleplay a Paladin is usually a Knight of Faith, and trades some melee capability for divine or sorcerous ability.
>>
>>54603398
Why go to someone with hundreds of years of experience losing people with your vision of losing someone?
Let me think....
Cause he's Yoda and he's the wisest there is.
Plus, Anakin was looking for an impossible answer on how to eat his cake and have it too, so he was looking for special advice.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.