[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me work out some good sci-fi weapons for an underwater setting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: SF+and+underwater+weapons[1].gif (54KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
SF+and+underwater+weapons[1].gif
54KB, 400x300px
Help me work out some good sci-fi weapons for an underwater setting. I know about lancejets, gas propelled underwater guns and spear guns, and obviously torpedos. But what's some wierder, more high tech shit you can do? In X-Com, TFTD, they used spearguns, drills, thermal and sonic weapons, etc.

Any hobby aqua-physicists wanna chime in?
>>
File: 1488614077729.jpg (181KB, 1600x911px) Image search: [Google]
1488614077729.jpg
181KB, 1600x911px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercavitating_torpedo
I also know that certain types of lasers work decently underwater but I couldn't tell you exactly which.
>>
Sonic weapons could work underwater. There are certain species of dolphin that use blasts of low-frequency sound to stun fish at close range and make them easier to catch.
>>
File: thumbnail_10297.jpg (109KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_10297.jpg
109KB, 400x300px
>>54581840
Have you tried mega phones? I found this in the kart. It's great!
>>
>>54581840

Wire-based homing weapons might be more legit due to the slower base speed.
>>
>>54581840
>>54581840
Kinetic transfer is harder, so weapons carrying payload are more valuable. That means heat energy, explosives, powered impact (drills and saws), poison, information, etc.
>>
>>54581840
nuclear depth charges
>>
>>54581840
Basically any explosive is super-effective underwater
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer
>>
>>54583851
wouldn't the surface area of the wire give it a huge amount of drag?
>>
Piranha pistols. Shark guns. Whale cannons. Mosasaur rockets.
>>
>>54582261
Similarly, Adrian Barbobots. With missile tits.
>>
>>54583851
>>54585025
That's literally how torpedoes work.
>>
>>54585827
Meant for >>54585219
>>
>>54585219
If the projectile was trying to drag the wire as it unspooled from the launcher, sure. But if the spool of wire were kept in the projectile and the wire simply unwound from that, it wouldn't need to be moving relative to the water, and thus wouldn't add drag. Of course, nothing in physics is truly free: In exchange, it would increase the size and weight of the projectile. It may even interfere with (or require redesign of) the projectile's propulsion and maneuvering systems.
>>
>>54581840
>Spear gun
>Vortex Cannon
>Micro missiles
>Surfactant countermeasures to adjust the viscosity of the water.
>Hyperabsorbant nonlethal shot.
>Magnetic prox grenades.
>>
File: 80b.png (297KB, 500x375px)
80b.png
297KB, 500x375px
>>54585350

Then you have to deal with Sparkamus Prime.
>>
>>54581840
Look X-COM: Terror From the Deep

Lots of great underwater equipment there.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.