[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would elven and dwarven children be more popular than halflings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1459010181716.jpg (61KB, 448x792px) Image search: [Google]
1459010181716.jpg
61KB, 448x792px
Would elven and dwarven children be more popular than halflings and gnomes, if the former replaced the latter in the manuals?

I just about never see anyone play a small race.
>>
>>54576617
>Would elven and dwarven children
No.
>>
>>54576617
Most people seem to dislike the runt races.
>>
Accurate or not, I've always been shy of playing anything that isn't a Medium size, just 'cause of all the headaches involved.

Halfling-wise, there's not really any single cultural trait that can be applied to them in just about every setting. At least Gnomes are usually "culture of wiseguy".

At least, that's my perception of things, your mileage may vary.
>>
>>54576617
No. Children have no business going on adventures and anyone who wants to play one in a game like D&D is highly suspect.
>>
>>54576617
I play shorties all the time. But even I find the idea of Elf and Dwarf spawn repulsive.
>>
>>54576617
Nope, and there's three reasons why not.

Firstly, Small races tend to mechanically suck compared to Medium races. This isn't so bad if you're not an obsessive min-maxer, but the inability to use certain weapons - and combined with lower damage from weapons, in 3e - mixed with slow speed and just... it hinders a lot of what you want to do. In 3e, even elves made better fighters than halflings or gnomes did because at least you could give them rapiers and other Dex-keyed weapons.

Secondly, the big issue with gnomes and halflings not getting played is that their lore tends to be... well, boring. Gnomes are traditionally comic relief who are basically "magical dwarves"*, whilst halflings blatantly rip-off Tolkien's lore for them. People would rather have better fluff for Small races than just "you're a elf/dwarf, but younger".

*Ignoring, of course, that gnomes literally owe their existence to being dwarves as myth portrayed them, in contrast to D&D dwarves being dwarves as Tolkien portrayed them.

Finally, most players would balk at the idea of playing kids, whether it's because they're even less optimal, because they fear bad players using "I'm a kid!" to be Chaotic Stupid, or they just find the idea of endangering kids to be morally unpalatable.
>>
You people and your need to walk an extra 5' on a grid. Try playing as a gnome or a halfling and you might like it. Or all you all just min/maxing try hards?
>>
Name a child adventurer that didn't suck.
>>
File: 161645l.jpg (157KB, 422x600px)
161645l.jpg
157KB, 422x600px
>>54578959
Riko and company are OK.
>>
>>54578959
Garion. Nigga even got to watch his fly-ass aunt work a stripper pole.
>>
>>54578959
Guts and a few of his buddies, Link, Johnny Quest as I recall, most of the crew from Avatar, Ahsoka, I guess Ezra, arguably Madoka and friends (they're big game hunters more than adventurers proper, but there's an argument to be made), sort of Yuki Yuna and friends (as above, though they at least travel and deal with shadowy handlers), Hestia's chucklefuck rabbit (though he's just a shiny pokemon with an overpowered special, which might disqualify him from not sucking).

Kind of a lot of anime protagonists, really.
>>
>>54579702
>a few of his buddies
These. Isidoro and Shierke a best.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.