[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you say the minimum market capitalization for a c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: cyberpunk street.jpg (635KB, 1700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk street.jpg
635KB, 1700x1000px
What would you say the minimum market capitalization for a cyberpunk "megacorporation" would be?

(market cap being the size of the company tabulated from total share value https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization)

I'd say $300 billion is a good cutoff. That includes Samsung, which is probably the closest firm to a real-life megacorp, with its massive diversification
>>
File: what.jpg (18KB, 162x152px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
18KB, 162x152px
>>54558336
>which is probably the closest firm to a real-life megacorp, with its massive diversification

He doesnt know about kraft...
>>
>>54558374
Kraft only has a 100 billion market cap vs Samsung's ~300
>>
File: i like what im seeing.jpg (29KB, 305x341px) Image search: [Google]
i like what im seeing.jpg
29KB, 305x341px
>>54558336
Minimum of $3 trillion. "Megacorporations" are basically conglomerates of several giant corporations today. They make *everything*. They are supposed to be the size of very large economies or trade blocs. Add up GE, Apple, GM, Microsoft, Vale and Boeing and THAT'S a megacorporation. Otherwise it's just a big corporation, subject to national governments.

France has a GDP of $2.5 trillion. If your megacorporation is smaller than that then it's shit and not really a megacorporation at all.
>>
File: states_gdp.jpg (92KB, 1119x784px) Image search: [Google]
states_gdp.jpg
92KB, 1119x784px
If you want to be a player on par with the US, you'd better be at least as large as several of these state GDP combined.
>>
>>54562377

I remember 10 years ago this map showed California as France. Then it was degraded to Italy. And now it's degraded to Brazil.
What's going on over there?
>>
>>54562377

dafuq, is West Virginia really that poor?
>>
File: CyberpunkSeatleShadowrun.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CyberpunkSeatleShadowrun.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>54561426
I agree that you want to be adding up some of the big names of right now if you want to make a megacorp, but comparing against France (or the US, Germany, China, the UK, anyone in the top 10 really) is kind of disingenuous - if for no other reason than most megacorps in fiction do tend to have a "home" in one of those countries.

I'd say a trillion is a good benchmark, puts around or beating places like Switzerland, Mexico, Saudi
>>
>>54562488
Ever been there? Even people from there think its a shithole. The answer is yes.
>>
>>54558336
>I'd say $300 billion is a good cutoff. That includes Samsung, which is probably the closest firm to a real-life megacorp, with its massive diversification.

Amazon is worth $439.8 billion, so I'd probably go with this Anon over here: >>54561426 and shoot towards the trillions.
>>
>>54562425
It's not "degraded" you dumbass. Brazil is one of the largest economies in the world, comparable to the size of France. They're close though, so they switch places occasionally.
>>
>>54562488
>>54562590
The answer is no. Pic related.

>>54562517
>have a "home" in one of those countries.
Megacorporations have no home country. That's the whole point. They are above and beyond national economies. They dominate not just global trade but global economies. They write their own rules. If they were smaller than Big 10 national economies, they wouldn't be writing any rules.
>>
>>54562911
Sure, above and beyond most national economies, but they almost always have a national edge to their corporate culture - you know Hosaka from your OCP, despite there being little difference on the ground between them.

If you've got a single corporation or conglomerate with the influence, power and importance of a trillion-dollar economy like Saudi Arabia, then I think it's fair to call them a megacorp (actually SA might already count, depending on how you look at it, but that's not really a discussion for here)
>>
>>54562688
>>54561426

I'd just make it an even $1 trillion. Billions is too low but we're talking about the smallest thing that could be considered a mega-corp, and $1 trillion is about the size of 3-4 of our largest current corporations as far as I am aware (no extra research done though).
>>
Right now Apple is rumored to be pulling together it's cash reserves in order to facilitate a takeover of another company. The prime target is also rumored to be Disney. An Apple/Disney hybrid corporation could probably be considered a megacorp. Not only would their cap be close to 1 trillion dollars, but they would dominate the global market in their fields.
>>
>>54562488
Yes, it's a shithole, I live in here but you couldn't pay me enough money to live anywhere else.

The only reason my county isn't literally one of the top-ten poorest in the nation is because a lot of people work in the neighboring counties and just live here because the cost of living is so low. It's weird, everyone who is actually from here lives in the same hollows and bottoms that their families have been living on for like 300 years, and then you have suburb-type people that live in little communities along the highway that keep to themselves because no one else will deal with them because they're "outsiders".

West Virginia is a weird place man, it's almost literally a fantasy setting. People believe in weird things around here, the stories of the past are alive and well. My mother always told me not to play in a particular part of the woods because there was a witch who lived there...turns out there was indeed an old cabin with a dirt floor, no electricity, no gas, no nothing, I found it when I was a teenager.

That particular part of the mountain was always strange, there were never any animals, no tracks or droppings even. Even the birds and insects stay away. It's very quiet there, the only thing you can hear is the wind whistling down the valley....I think something bad happened there along time ago. I'd say more but noone would believe me.
>>
>>54563140
>spooky /out/ stories
Finally, something positive West Virginia can contribute to the world
>>
>>54563082
No trillion dollar corps yet, but Amazon, Apple, and Alphabet (Google) are vying to be the first.
>>
>>54563200
It's a /x/phile's wet dream here man. It's just so...old, literally. The Appalachians are the oldest mountains in the world you know. Look at the Rockies and the Himalayas, after a few more million years of being beaten down by the driving snow and howling wind, they'll look like the Appalachians. When you look on the hills here, you're literally looking at the heart of ancient mountains. I often think of the things that happened on the peaks when they still stood tall, the things the trees have seen.

I believe in some pretty crazy things, and I realize a lot of it is pretty outlandish. But there are certain things that are just ingrained in people whos families have lived here for generations. It's more than our culture, or our dialect, it's as if there is something in the mountains themselves that have literally soaked into us.

I know it makes me sound like a loon, but I don't care. It's not because I want to believe my home is special either, not everywhere here has the unique energy some specific mountains do. I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it's as hold as the hills themselves.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.