[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you quit GMing, especially when planning for your group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1500358310576.png (130KB, 582x324px) Image search: [Google]
1500358310576.png
130KB, 582x324px
How do you quit GMing, especially when planning for your group is nothing but misery?

For those interested in the details, I'm running a thievery/crime campaign with my friends, and it's just not working. One plays a loudmouthed fighter who doesn't want to be subtle at all, and whenever his gf is confused about the rules, immediately butts in when I'm explaining to explain stuff to her in the most obtuse way possible. His gf is a little better with RP, but is still struggling with the idea that she can't just write stuff in her backstory and immediately have it (she wanted to own a shop filled with healing potions and elixirs) and put her boyfriend in a chokehold because she thought physical contact is okay in rp. Her friend plays a prostitute that is absolute shit at. Her role (ex. The group needed a package from a guy, so she stalked him until he was 2 seconds from headed out of the city on a boat and was like 'I roll to seduce him, expecting it to work) and the last guy is okay, but insists that his character's weapons are a gift from death himself.

Every session is a nightmare for me, and as much as I want to have fun, I'm spending 10 hours per week into planning for the game with no enjoyment to show for it.
>>
>>54549293
Quietly flip the table, stand up and quit.
>>
>>54549293
'Hey guys I'm not really having fun gming anymore, I want to try some new things. Sorry.'

If you want to try a new campaign with them: 'I think I'd like to play (general idea) in (system). Would you like to try that? It might be a bit of a fresh breath.'
>>
>>54549293
Break the group up by sleeping with the dude's girlfriend AND the dude playing the whore then 'accidentally' have that come to light in a coming session.
>>
>>54549293
Hi OP. I've got a similar issue.

Here's a thing: fuck 'em. Tabletop RPGs are absolutely in the camp of "better nothing than shit" hobbies. The amount of work going into well-thought session is not worth it if there's not a good payoff. It just isn't. And you're doing all the work here.

Most of my friends are great people and terrible players. It's just how it is. It's not easy fixing that disconnect.

So either abandon the ship or, alternatively, run some one-shots. Try to limit your prep. See if you can squeeze out some fun from this.
>>
>>54549293
>How do you quit GMing, especially when planning for your group is nothing but misery?

Depends on whether you want these people in your life or not. If you do wnat to see them again, tell them DMing for them is making you miserable, it's not what you thought it'd be and you're done. You're out. Next game is cancelled, as is the one after that.

If you do want to see them again, make sure to explain to them that it's not about your friendship, it's about you not being satisfied with the role of DM.
>>
>>54549293
>I'm spending 10 hours per week into planning for the game with no enjoyment to show for it.

While you're probably still committed to quitting GMing, you could always try and scale back the amount of prep time you're putting in, embrace the idea that you're going to have to improvise a little for a while, and see if that helps. I kind of enjoy world building, scribbling notes and thinking about encounters, so even if it doesn't get used in a particular game session, it's all good.

If you're not getting what you feel like a pay off for your ten hours of work, don't do the ten hours of work, and see how things go.
>>
File: 1475621354487.jpg (131KB, 480x546px) Image search: [Google]
1475621354487.jpg
131KB, 480x546px
>>54549293
Seconding >>54549958
One of my friends is a saint. He doesn't swear, drink, do drugs, but will buy people drinks/even full vidya regardless, just to play it with them, and enjoy something they do.
I would not play any tabletop with him if you paid me to. He literally refuses to do any sort of roleplay, and cannot understand that I loathe my players minmaxing just for the sake of "winning" the game.
Some people just Should Not /TG/.
>>
>>54550495
I'm still kind of new to roleplaying, wouldn't say I'm terrible at the roleplaying aspect of it compared to the other people I've played with, but I also kind of compulsively min/max.
I just think most rules make it necessary if you don't want to fail a lot of checks and be useless in combat. It guess it also depends a lot on the GM, but the most frustrating experience so far for me has been trying diplomacy and saying something sensible, but it being worthless because of a low skill level/shitty dice roll.
>>
File: questionmark face.png (12KB, 275x307px) Image search: [Google]
questionmark face.png
12KB, 275x307px
>>54549293
>is absolute shit at. Her role
That's the worst. A girl in one of my games once played a spy and "ultimate master of disguise". On the one occasion during the entire campaign she actually disguised herself, she stole a bellhop uniform and walked up to the hotel clerk to ask some question about something. I had her roll for her disguise and said the guy bought it, what did she want to say to him. She had a ten second panic attack in real life, then decided she turned and left without speaking.
>>
>>54549293
>10 hours per week into planning
Just wing it man. Go a bit crazy, what is the worst that is going to happen? The game ending?
>>
File: drink the pain away.gif (1009KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
drink the pain away.gif
1009KB, 500x280px
>>54549958
>Be me
>Be DM
>Have 3 friends that are into roleplaying and all good at it
>Can't play games at their places because little kids around, one of them has parents who work night shift and don't like visitors during the day, always some reason we can't play there.
>Have to play games at my apartment
>Have roommate
>Roommate is super into RPGs and won't fuck off while we're playing, basically inserts himself into our game even though we already have a party going on
>Find out roomate's RPing style is a ix between bad fanfiction and playing Skyrim with mods
>Basically always makes super overpowered god-characters, and constantly bitches about the rules not letting him do retarded stuff
>Basically operates his characters with a "IT WAS FOR THE LULZ" attitude, then becomes a real cunt when everyone else wants to take the game seriously, falling back on "LOL, THE POINT OF THE GAME IS TO HAVE FUN" arguments to excuse himself acting like a jackass.
>My players hate it
>Finally tell my roommate he can't play with us anymore
>Basically spends the next 4 weeks being super passive agressive and whiny about it, and invites his own friends over on game days to take up the living room with vidya stuff and be loud and disruptive
>Be me and too much of a poorfag to move out and get a place with anyone else
>Relent and let him back in the game
>Only have him and one other player now because the other two found better groups
>Feel too guilty to ask for an invite to these better groups
>Don't even want to run for the one good player I have left now because I already feel like a total fuck-up.
>Kinda just don't play at all anymore.

Guess you're right, no game is better than a shit game.
>>
>>54549958
Confirming that putting up with lolrandumb parties is not worth the effort or stress (both in planning and in improv). The only thing stopping me from dropping a game (and thus a group of horrible players) is that I promised that the game would be long-term and they haven't even finished the first arc (or storyline). But with every passing session I get closer and closer to pulling that trigger.
>>
>>54549293
Just quit. Tell them you're not doing it anymore. If they ask why, give tell them they dont want to know and only unload (constructively, if you can) when they press you.
>>
>>54549293
"GUYS, HOW DO I STOP HOLDING ALL THESE LIMES?!" "Just put the limes down." "WHAT!?" "Just set them on the ground and walk away."

Just stop GMing. Stop hosting the events. Stop doing all this prep work. If you feel like gambling you could even ask anyone in the group if they want to GM before you step away. Asking someone else to step in has a couple other bonuses too. For one, it spins it back around and reminds them that what you're doing is a lot of effort. Two, it gives them an option and a sense of agency in ending the game.
>>
>>54551034
Ask to join one of the other groups, Jesus. Especially if you ran a game for somebody prior and they enjoyed themselves, even if their current game can't take new players, they'll likely keep you on deck for new ones.

>>54551253
based
>>
>>54551034
The struggle is real. Do try to join one of the good games, anon, it's not your fault.
>>
>>54549293
You find a new group.
>>
>>54549293
As others have said, just stop GMing for them.

However, a better way to handle it would be to a sit down and plan an end to the campaign based on say two or three more sessions. Railroad the fuck out of it if you have to.

It is a bit more classy to have the campaign come to what looks like a natural end as opposed to just dumping it. And it will make it easier for you to drop the game when facing them 'hey, the campaign is over, that is how it works'. You will also, if you so desire later, leave your options more open for gaming with them at a later time. No burned bridges or terribly hurt feelings.

After all, it sounds like you are going to keep running for them anyhow if you can't work this out. So why not take a few sessions, suck it up, and create a natural end point to walk away from.

But if you can't swing that, just stop running as others have suggested.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.