[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I always liked the really weird Morrowind lore. You've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: 415151.jpg (86KB, 426x336px) Image search: [Google]
415151.jpg
86KB, 426x336px
So I always liked the really weird Morrowind lore. You've got half-gods fighting moons, cyborgs from the future as elf-hunters, deities hearts being the fool for huge golems, towers as foundations of the physical plane or space colonies occupied by battlemages. This is basically what I often like in the mythologies of many settings. They talk of these weird old times, where everying was extroardinary, and seemed like both a mix of mythology and science-fiction. Nirn was supposed to be made from 12 different planets.
So I'm wondering is there a role-playing game that gives you this feeling? Ones were the the characters will fight gods, travel through time, alien races that both weild powerful magic but also travel to different planets. Something, weird, surreal and epic.
I'm of course not asking specifically for any of the things I mentioned. Just something that gives you a similar feeling.
>>
>>54543607
Rifts or Exalted,
>>
File: Nyokakuba.jpg (529KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Nyokakuba.jpg
529KB, 900x1273px
>>54543607
Welll... my homebrew setting. I'm the loremaster and one of the players. We got leyships and holy sects of assassins killing people which are considered to waste their lives, so they may reincarnate and do better.

Although it isn't only weird, I think it is boring that way. I also justify "standard" things as "Underdarks", which ties in to gravity being a propriety of souls. Then comes in the weird part, dubbed "sacrophysics".
>>
>>54544941
Tell us more
>>
I wish Morrowind's game reflected the lore more. I loved reading all the books as a kid and I pumped thousands of hours into the game, but most of that was holding W and occasionally fighting a monster.

Check out Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Dungeon Crawl Classics, or specific OSR products like Deep Carbon Observatory and Anomalous Subsurface Environment. The weirdness matters.
>>
File: The planetary Ley Web.jpg (131KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
The planetary Ley Web.jpg
131KB, 400x400px
>>54545169
I'll just paste the part which enticed people so far. Anyone interested can ask more then.

1/2

Prana is the primordial element from which all others are made. It is also know as life-force or soulstuff, because souls are self-contained and organized acumulations of prana. Any and all sentient beings have souls*, while animals have proto-souls. Having a soul in the first place demands that something has its own name, making it distinct enough that it may acquire spiritual links with other soul-possessing beings. Such links are called "ley lines", happening whenever one develops feelings of any kind upon something**. Prana flows through ley lines***.

The planet in question qualifies. Known as Ghara by most of its inhabitants, all of which either developed strong feelings upon it. Fondness of one's homeland, hating a war-torn kingdom, wishing to conquer your neighbors' lands, all this makes a ley line ultimately connected to the planet itself. The daily routine of one billion soul-possessing mortals sustains Ghara's Soul, which is further strengthened by being worshipped as a earth-goddess/father-god/Land Spirit by most of them.

Gravity is not an effect of mass, but of prana. Ghara's Soul is the greater concentration of prana other than the Sun. Its cosmic purpose is to make itself suitable for the living of soul-bearing creatures. Its own survival also depends on having souls linked to it.

That's why gravity is uniform throughout the crust: more living space to eventually house soul-bearing beings. Dwarfs are the most common example of this."
>>
File: Lilim.png (1MB, 1240x1262px) Image search: [Google]
Lilim.png
1MB, 1240x1262px
>>54545328
2/3 actually
That's why certain asteroids and small planetary bodies have a gravity far greater than their mass, while some desert and dead planets have a pull as weak as the moon and are currently slowly disintegrating.

Theoretically, a nameless and unfeeling being could be free of gravity, but its metaphysical make-up would be so distorted as to make it dangerous. Ghosts such as the death cloud are posited by some scholars as proof of this.

*Except for demons and devils; their cosmical existence is parasitic, feeding upon the prana of existence. They favor souls because those are a concentration of refined prana, but some demons are known to engage in grand-scale draining of prana from the environment itself. Wastes such as the Unquiet Lands are places which never recovered from their invasion 500 years ago.

**This phenomena is also responsible for generating new prana which the ley web conducts into the stars, where it is refined and partially transformed into the other elements. Sunlight is refined prana.

***A soul can be thought of as a single ley line formed into a dense knot, whose arrangement is so unique as to codify the memories, personality and even physical characteristics of the corresponding being. It also takes the place of DNA.
>>
File: not! african land.jpg (859KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
not! african land.jpg
859KB, 1024x768px
>>54545363
-Any souls with enough links can become a nexus. Those are the cores of the local ley web. In-game, they are seen as nature spirits, kami or even as gods by people of the region. Powerful adventurers, ancient trees and cities are some examples of nexus. You can barter with a nexus for it to teleport you through its ley web.

-The actual gods must be powerful beings which fit into the mold of the one of the archetypes. This both makes them much more powerful but also responsible for an aspect of existence. This responsibility manifests as an instinct they can't go against. The way they conform to it varies, two gods of death may behave quite differently. Said archetypes are based on Jung.

-Teleportation goes through ley lines. Travels to rescue a deceased soul so it returns to its body as well.

-There are no D&D planes, having planets instead. Most planets have ley lines between themselves, so powerful teleportation spells are equivalent to D&D's planar travel magic. One particular nation has a small fleet of leyships which use ley lines as sci-fi hyperspace, having an artificial nexus instead of a warp drive.

-Most of the gods themselves aren't aware of all this. They understand it in the same sense that fishers understand the ocean. What I wrote is what the oceanographer would know instead. The god of knowledge discovered much of it, but that's because it is part of its divine instinct, to study and comprehend things.

-The magitech nation with leyships is the most powerful of the world because its founder was a genius which figured out "sacrophysics" after researching the hole in reality which demons came through. Even there, most of the people don't get all this. The ones that do don't think of it as "less holy". It is as mind-blowing as actual science can be, and having strong feelings about it is key to its understanding."
>>
Might and Magic had the whole weird fantasy with alien cyborgs covered a decade before Morrowind imo.
>>
>>54546098
It didn't have the aesthetic to carry it though. It looked like a rather bland and boring fantasy world.
>>
>>54543607
Why not give a try the game that inspired TES series? Runequest.
>>
>>54543631
Just Rifts. Exalted's lore is crap.
>>
>>54545233
>I wish Morrowind's game reflected the lore more.

It does, anon. CHIM. What do you think the console commands and metagame powers like the save menu are?
>>
File: (14579199610).jpg (965KB, 2516x2768px) Image search: [Google]
(14579199610).jpg
965KB, 2516x2768px
Bump.
>>
>>54545454
This sounds like a super setting anon.
Kudos.
>>
>>54547104
Thing is they would put those in anyways if there was no CHIM in the lore.
>>
File: 1496973606334.jpg (66KB, 492x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496973606334.jpg
66KB, 492x600px
>>54549923
Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.