[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that whenever someone asks a question about literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 506
Thread images: 40

File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Why is it that whenever someone asks a question about literally any system, there's always some turdburglar waddling into a thread to whine that you should be using GURPS instead?

Is /tg/ the /gurps/ board, is it a shitty meme like FATAL, or are GURPs players simply that autistic?
>>
Too many absolute+hyperbolic statements to be good bait.
>>
>>54520603
He's not wrong, though.
>>
>>54520618
He's not exactly right, either.
>>
>>54520624
He's mostly right.
>>
File: FxdcodxwXjI.jpg (28KB, 307x309px) Image search: [Google]
FxdcodxwXjI.jpg
28KB, 307x309px
Is this are new GURPSgen?
>>
Honestly, it's usually a GURPS player doing it for the sole purpose of giving the rest of us something to groan about.

The first people to disparage annoying GURPS players on /tg/ is other GURPS players.
>>
>>54520407
B-But it's a UNIVERSAL system! GURPS is the replacement for every other system that exists
>>
>>54520762
Not every system, just 90% of what /tg/ plays (WoD, 40k, SR, D&D).
>>
People are so engrained in number crunching and min-maxing that no one gives a shit about story and actual role play anymore. This will be the death of GURPS and all other universal systems.

>Muh combat NEEDS to be more detailed and relaistic
>I don't wanna think of any cool combat outcomes, I want the numbers to do that for me
>>
>>54520407

Because they take the name too literally. GURPS, like all generic systems, still has things it is better or worse suited for and certain qualities of experience that it can excel or fail at delivering.

They also fail to understand that GURPS is, by design, only a single kind of game, a quite granular simulation focused one. If a groups preference lies elsewhere, GURPS is not appropriate for them.
>>
It's just good
3d6 bell curve
All dice are d6's
Most things are accounted for
Active community and one of the best generals on /tg/
Combat is fluid and martials don't suck
People who made it care about it
>>
>>54520407
The game is a horrible overcomplicated mess, and so are practically all of its supplements.
Why even use it if whatever you can come up with yourself is gonna be better by simple virtue of having better depth/complexity ratio and the same level of balance (which is to say; none) or better.
>>
>>54521188
What's overcomplicated about it? Could you give some examples?
>>
>>54521188
Yea it's like how real life is totally balanced

Oh wait
>>
>>54521241

How is that in any way relevant to game design?
>>
>>54521241
>Fuck gameplay, am I right
>And fuck having more than one good character build!
>Yeah fuck that shit, it ain't realistic
>>
File: 1418192193941.png (152KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1418192193941.png
152KB, 400x400px
>"universal" game system
>doesn't use metric units
>>
Someone actually explain what GURPS is like.
>>
>>54521268
What's the one good character build?
>>
>>54521283

Tofu. On its own, it's a bit bland and flavourless, and it's hard to intuitively understand what to do with it. If you've got the skills and look up some recipes, you can make a lot of fucking fantastic food with it. But despite the versatility of the ingredient, at the end of the day you're still eating tofu.
>>
>>54521289
inb4 "80 points in guns lol"
>>
GURPS is great for a lot of different things, and a lot easier to play than most people expect or realize. Though there are also many cases in which people recommend it, while there's clearly better alternatives.

GURPS however is a system that every GM benefits from being knowledgeable of. It'll allow easy homebrew play, and is a generic system that will cover the vast majority of genres, while excelling at many of those. GURPS is personally my favorite system overall.
>>
>>54521283
In play, most of it is rolling 3d6. For skill rolls, that's at or under your skill. For contests, you compare margins of success/failure. Chargen is chunky, but it's very smooth in play, because you frontloaded all of the work.

GURPS' default state is "heroic realism," like the kind you would see in hollywood action flicks. Humans are just humans, but there's a lot of leeway for you to be an action hero.

The GM makes the campaign. This usually amounts to them saying, for example, "We're playing roaring 1920s in the deep south. Characters should be rumrunners, journalists, members of the mafia, cops, detectives, and similar. It's realistic, so no cinematic traits and try not to treat every problem like combat." That informs players of everything they need to know for character creation and what rules are in play.

Combat is generally deadly. One shot from a pistol or two whacks with a bat is going to knock you out, and if you don't have buddies you're at the mercy of whoever cleaned your clock. It's a good idea to use cover and de-escalate. At high point totals, though, combat becomes easier to justify because you're more capable and have more safety nets.

Besides all of that, the bell curve from 3d6 radically changes the competency of characters. You no longer have the slapstick feel of the d20, which is very swingy. In short, on a 3d6, the values 10 and 11 and 27 possible combinations each, which makes them more likely to show up than any other number. On a d20, the values 10 and 11 both can occur once, so they're just as likely to happen as any other number.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
>>
>>54521309
It doesn't do some system/setting-specific gimmicks very well, that much is true.
>>
>>54521277
I just convert yards to meters
>>
GURPS is a fantastic system choice for about 85% of genres/playstyles or settings, merely functional for about 10%, and absolutely the wrong choice of system for about 5%.

It's not nearly as complex as you'd think, very easy to learn to play (GMing it is easy too, but requires experience and solid pre-campaign preparation), and's even more flexible than many people realize or give it credit for.

It's not perfect for everything, and some people may not like the mechanical style it's laid out in (regardless of how light/heavy or Sim/narrative you have it tuned); that's fine.

It is, however, a damn fine game and pays out tenfold what you're willing to put into it. Well worth the investment to learn and play, and if you're well versed in it you can do and experience wondrous things.

I don't fault people for not liking it though.

"No flavor" is a highly inaccurate and silly/possibly malicious complaint, or at best a terrible misunderstanding of the system. There are many valid criticisms of GURPS as it's a system with flaws and weaknesses like any other, but that isn't one of them.
>>
>>54521958
I agree. It plays mediocre for most stuff, amazing for a lot of stuff, poorly for some stuff.

It's just good, well worth learning
>>
>>54520630
Not really.
>>
>>54521958

At its core, GURPS is flavourless. This is intentional- It's a generic system, the flavour comes from how it's used and the many layers of extra mechanics you pile on top.

However, for people who care about mechanical tone and how core mechanics can convey the themes of the game, no amount of sprinkles on top can stop GURPS, at its core, feeling a bit flavourless and dull.

How much this matters to people varies, but when people call GURPS flavourless it's generally for this reason.
>>
>>54521309

That describes every game system that isn't Dread.

Point to a single drop of flavour in d20, a gram of style in WoD - bereft of fluff, their mechanics are a skeleton picked clean of even the gristle.
>>
>>54522140

What kinds of shitty game have you been playing?

D&D and WoD aren't the best examples, but even then both of them have elements of their tone, themes and genre built into their mechanics at a base level. D&D kinda flails around and does this by accident half the time, while WoD shoots itself in the foot by tying a narrativist premise to an overly crunchy core system in Storyteller, but they still have more implicit tone and theme than GURPS does. Which, again, is intentional. It's not an outright negative about the system, it's just a necessity of its design, which is why it comes off as cold and flat to some people.
>>
>>54522140
At least gurps knows it's flavorless
>>
>>54521880
Yeah, but when you need to do any more complex calculations than "one yard equals one meter" it would be really nice to be able to use sensible units. For example, here's some handy information from one of the Thaumatology books that's pretty much Hebrew to me.

>As a rule of thumb, short grasses need five quarts
of water per square yard per day during the growing
season. Each 10% shortfall reduces yield by 25%.

Google's unit conversion tool helpfully informs me that one US liquid quart is under a liter, and one Imperial quart is over a liter, with the latter being 20% larger in volume than the former unit. This is fortunate, because I was not aware that the Imperial system was different from the US system, and there isn't a definion anywhere in the book about what quart is used. Am I to expect a 50% drop in my short grass yield if I fuck up somewhere?
>>
>>54522140
That's just not true. D20 has some degree of setting-agnosticism, but is still doesn't do for example realistic modern or sci-fi settings. Vancian casting is inherently setting-bound. WoD heavily features aspects that are inherently genre-bound, like its various magic systems. I mean, you try running a WW1 trench warfare game in d20, for example. It'll work if you houserule it enough, but it'll feel like shit because the feeling of the system is a complete mismatch for the kind of game you're trying to run.

Things like the lethality of a system, the baseline power of the player, the granularity of stats and rolls, how rules-heavy the system is, etc. all contribute to the overall feeling of a system, which has a serious result on how it's played and how well it works for specific settings.
>>
>>54522202
I just replace all things with equivients.
>pounds to kg
>yards to meters
>quarts to liters
>inches to 3 cm
And so on
>>
File: GURPSINTENSIFIES.gif (236KB, 345x303px) Image search: [Google]
GURPSINTENSIFIES.gif
236KB, 345x303px
Because GURPS is a fantastic system that isn't all that hard to use or play, assuming you're not a mouth-breathing knuckle-dragger.
>>
File: ultrabait.gif (571KB, 199x199px) Image search: [Google]
ultrabait.gif
571KB, 199x199px
>>54520407
>>
>>54521277
>Game made for Americans
>The company behind it is literally not interested in any other market (because apparently they are retarded)
Here, solved it for you in two bulletpoints

>>54521283
A fuck-huge box of LEGO. Unless you know waht you want to build, it will be a random hodge-podge of peices.
>>
>>54522477
Honestly am American, but science student. I use metric all the time because 10s are better than 12's
>>
>>54520407
GURPS is in the shitter and has been for years - you can go check SJG's annual reports on how they've been doing on their website and it spells it out for you in black and white that GURPS has been spiralling the drain for a long time. Idiots who think GURPS is the answer to everything have been a presence ever since it was originally published, but you'd think you'd see less of them as the fanbase shrinks. In practice, the smaller and more irrelevant GURPS becomes, the more desperate for converts the hardcore fanbase gets.

The big problem with GURPS is the big problem with any universal system - which is that usually, all else being equal, a game system designed from the ground up to cater to a particular setting or genre will always serve it better than a universal system that had to be massaged into it. It's exacerbated by the fact that there's a bunch more generic systems these days, most of which are less crunchy and therefore impose their core ideas on play less than GURPS does. Cortex, FATE, Fudge, Savage Worlds, all of them serve a range of playstyles far better than GURPS does.

GURPS is typically only good at low-level high-realism high-nerdery simulations. Even then, HERO system without the superpowers often works better for that sort of thing a lot of the time.

On top of that, SJG in general is a bit of an echo chamber, with Steve and Dr Kromm drinking the kool-aid as much as the fans have, with the result that the game panders to the core fanbase whilst completely losing sight of the necessity of providing a useful introduction. (GURPS Lite is a fucking joke.)

It's sad, really.
>>
>>54522040
A solid GM with an idea can make the rules and mechanics compliment the tone. Look at Dungeon Fantasy, Action, or After the End. Those books are chock full of examples of how to play within a certain tone.
>>
>>54522649
So many words and so little to say.
>>
>>54522649
Hey, I'm in the market for a flexible system less ponderous than GURPS. What are the merits and weaknesses of Cortex, I haven't heard much about that one.
>>
>>54522731
Lemme trim it down for you, you ADHD-addled kid.
>nobody buys GURPS anymore
>other systems do what GURPS did better
>GURPS can't get new players due to pandering primarily to its autism-infested fanbase
tl;dr: GURPS is shit, use Savage Worlds or Fate instead
>>
>>54522649
I agree with a lot of what you said, but a few things:
GURPS is still a moneysink, yes, but it's actually more popular than it has been in years. You're right about the inherent marketing flaws and obstacles though.

>Cortex, FATE, Fudge, Savage Worlds, all of them serve a range of playstyles far better than GURPS does.
Blatantly false. These games have MUCH more specific playstyles than GURPS that are even harder to extricate, have you even played these?

>GURPS is typically only good at low-level high-realism high-nerdery simulations. Even then, HERO system without the superpowers often works better for that sort of thing a lot of the time.
Both halves of this statement are wildly inaccurate, and I say that as someone who loves HERO 5th. Again, I suspect you haven't actually played the games in question enough to be making such assertions.
>>
>>54522889
Barring FUDGE btw, which is literally just GURPS with an adjective ladder and a "fudge it!" mentality which provides room for very similar playstyles, consequently.
>>
>>54522889
>Savage Worlds is much more specific in playstyle than GURPS
>the corebook itself has optional rules to adjust its playstyle
>meanwhile Fate is capable of almost anything with the right aspects and skill list
u wot m8
>>
>>54522649
>The big problem with GURPS is the big problem with any universal system - which is that usually, all else being equal, a game system designed from the ground up to cater to a particular setting or genre will always serve it better than a universal system that had to be massaged into it.
Except all else isn't equal. Dark Heresy, Only War, Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, etc. sucks. 5e D&D and Pathfinder suck. Shadowrun 4e onwards SUUUUUUCKS. All of those RPGs, which are widely played, fail to actually deliver the core premise of their settings and/or genres. GURPS can do them better than the base system can.

Does that mean GURPS can do everything? No. Leave LotW and Exalted to themselves. Leave WoD/CoD to Fate (HtR should be done with GURPS). Leave FFG Star Wars to itself.

As for only being good at low-level high-realism high-nerdery simulations, false. All of the main GURPS product lines that come packaged as complete genrebooks are, at a baseline, cinematic. Action! is all about being hollywood action heroes, like John Wick. Monster Hunters is badasses with serious asskicking abilities hunting highly dangerous monsters. Dungeon Fantasy does D&D's heroic fantasy right, where non-casters feel as badass as casters. After the End is about the same level as Mad Max: Fury Road. And that's not talking about Supers, which is perfect for X-Men and Justice League style games.

SJGames has horrible business sense, yes. GURPS is a labor of love at this point. The DFRPG box set will, hopefully, revitalize GURPS and capitalize on the OSR boom. GURPS Lite needs to be about x1.5 to x2 as long. I wouldn't say the community is shrinking, though. It's fairly sizeable and been stable for some time. There's a very active community of bloggers. What GURPS doesn't have are people who stream their games. Film Re-Roll is about as close as you get. All of the rest are written game replays on blogs.
>>
>>54522927
GURPS has far more options to tweak playstyle than any of those listed. For the record Fate doesn't even really change playstyle, it changes setting and "genre"; the playstyle is actually very narrow for Fate, which is "imagine this concept, now we're going to play through a Hollywood film about that concept". Sounds flexible, and in some respects it is, but playstyle is not one of them. This fact is even supported by Rob Hanz and the game developers, so don't even try to tell me I'm off base.
>>
>>54522889
>doesn't have any actual arguments
>resorts to "you're wrong and you haven't played the game!"
Cool story, bro.
>>
>>54520407
>Getting this mad over a meme
Your autism is showing OP.
>>
>>54522996
>Rob Hanz
Who?

And what the fuck do you mean by playstyle then? Because I've never seen a version of GURPS that doesn't end up defaulting to an autismal crunchfest, Lite included.
>>
>>54522982
Fanboy posts like this are exactly what the OP is talking about though.
>LOL GURPS CAN DO YOUR GAME BETTER THAN YOUR GAME CAN STOP PLAYING SHIT GAMES PLAY GURPS
The only difference is that, at least in this case, you're not spamming it in a thread where it's not even relevant.
>>
>>54523017
You didn't have any arguments either man, you just said a thing like it's fact (it's clearly not) with no supporting facts at all. Are you dumb, or do you just think I am?
>>
>>54522982
>The DFRPG box set will, hopefully, revitalize GURPS and capitalize on the OSR boom
GURPS stands for the polar fucking opposite of the reasons people play OSR systems, which are mainly simplicity, being extremely easy to homebrew and inter-compatibility with older TSR material
>>
>>54522649
>GURPS is typically only good at low-level high-realism high-nerdery simulations.
So thats why there was so much fanboyish hype when launched DUNGEON FANTASY kickstarter, not because GURPS playerbase so much want to play games about strong as fuck hot barbarian bimbos and badass mages of transcendental awesomeness *tips fedora*, who killing tarrasques for breackfast, and stealing tons of gold from vault on plane of vaults to buy another orichalc sword for toothpick, like D&Dmasterrace do
>>
>>54523193
>So thats why there was so much fanboyish hype when launched DUNGEON FANTASY kickstarter
Because GURPS fans will display fanboyish hype at literally every opportunity.

Hence this thread.
>>
>>54522860
Not what I meant by my post, but okay.

People DO still buy GURPS, as evident by Pyramid magazine.

There might be other systems that "do what GURPS does better," if you only take into account the Basic Set, but anyone familiar with GURPS knows that you don't stop and play with only the Basic Set unless you want a boring game. GURPS has been doing GURPS for a long time, so collectively speaking the whole system is EXTREMELY robust with a WEALTH of information, with even the third edition shit still being relevant for world building. There is nothing quite like GURPS in terms of sheer volume and depth of information.

With that Dungeon Fantasy box set thing due to come out soon, new players will definitely follow. It's specifically aimed at getting as many people as possible interested in the system so as to get them to spread out into other areas of GURPS.

>>54523191
Then you obviously haven't played a proper Dungeon Fantasy game. It's extremely trivial to set up, even for the GM, and I'm talking about the original DF series.

>>54523219
Not an argument.
>>
>>54523265
It's not meant to be an argument, Einstein. It's an explanation.
>>
ITT: boohoo, stop talking about this game I don't like.

/tg/ is a bunch of children.
>>
>>54523191
>simplicity
Dungeon Fantasy is as simple as it gets. You haven't played or even read it, though, so you wouldn't know.

>being extremely easy to homebrew
Wait, you're telling me that a toolkit-system that has almost everything you could ever want to homebrew already statted up for you, isn't easy to homebrew in? We're talking about GURPS, here, right, and not 3.5e D&D?

>inter-compatibility with older TSR material
It doesn't work out of the box with it, I'll grant you that, but one of GURPS' main selling points is how easy conversion is because it uses real-world numbers. It's also easy to eyeball what a monster should be like in GURPS based on what it is in whatever TSR product you're reading. And, if you're really lazy, there are already numerous monsters published officially (DF1, DFM1-3) and unofficially (GURPS Wikidot, It Came From The Forums).
>>
File: cat.jpg (6KB, 208x148px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
6KB, 208x148px
>>54523299
Whatever you say, buddy.
>>
>>54523265
Pyramid has been a niche irrelevance for decades, it's not like it still has any print presence worth a damn and it's only subscribed to by the SJG bubble fanbase.
>>
>>54523265
>Then you obviously haven't played a proper Dungeon Fantasy game. It's extremely trivial to set up, even for the GM, and I'm talking about the original DF series.
It's true that I haven't played it, but I am also EXTREMELY skeptical that it could be even half as simple as B/X at best, and it definitely won't allow you to run TSR modules as easily as the systems they were fucking made for
>>
>>54521041
>it's just good

It's an exercise in beancounting that doesn't offer anything over most other RPGs. It's an autism simulator.

>best general

That's like saying it has the best watery shit.
>>
>>54523341
>Wait, you're telling me that a toolkit-system that has almost everything you could ever want to homebrew already statted up for you, isn't easy to homebrew in?
Yes, that is PRECISELY what I am telling you. B/X is a big dumb rock that has almost nothing except the bare basic rules it needs to function, which is why it's so easy to slap whatever shit you want on it and not be afraid that it'll break the game or be inconsistent with other rules
>>
The last one. Its a rules heavy game that touts itself as universal. So you have the combined double whammy of a lot of time invested learning the intricacies of the system with a tacit encouragement to use it for absolutely fucking everything. It attracts the sort of gamer that feels that everything ever has to be modeled in an RPG for it to be good (it's not a good game if you can't play as asparagus, right?) who legitimately feels they're doing you a service by pushing it every time there's any conceivable reason to push it. On top of that it has that crass lie of a meme that GURPS is just "like, 3d6 roll under" as though there is such a thing as a GURPS player that doesn't use most of the fucking system, because if you don't there is literally no reason to use it over any other game.
>>
>>54523398
>exercise in bean counting
Oh noes it's so hard to add and subtract things what will I do

>generals

Yea that's fair
>>
>>54523505
>Oh noes it's so hard to add and subtract things what will I do

Use a system with a set of character creation rules that doesn't require tracking a bunch of fiddly modifiers? Lots of them out there, and they all function about as well as GURPS, though they wont satisfy your typical GURPS player's autism.
>>
>>54523344
Not an argument
>>
>>54523462
The game is legit just 3d6 roll under with modifiers, that's like risus simple.

It just gets more complex with the layers you add
>>
>>54523396
DF IS simple. It lays the premise, the rules, and the concepts out very nicely, and it's very easy to just take stuff out and put different things in. However, it works just fine at doing what it says on the tin: dungeon-focused campaigns.

For me, I personally like a little depth to armor placement so I use some extra rules that deal with armor being put on specific locations. I also like the players to have a lot of options in combat so I bring in majority of Martial Arts to make things interesting.

>>54523462
>rules heavy

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

>>54523531
Use a character creation software. There's a free one just for GURPS.

>>54523540
Touche.
>>
>>54523561
NO IT FUCKING ISN'T. Even the lite version is 32 pages, and it's an extremely limited game that can't be called complete. The basic resolution mechanic is not the game, you fucking simp. By that reasoning D&D 3.5 is just D20 roll over, but only a fucking moron would claim that, so are GURPS players all just so peculiarly stupid as to think that or what?
>>
>>54523589
>You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

How many pages is the basic set?

>Use a character creation software. There's a free one just for GURPS.
>special software to make the beancounting easier
>this makes the beancounting acceptible

GURPSfags are like Dungeon World fags, only they're neckbeards rather than hipsters.
>>
>>54523443
You don't need to homebrew when everything's done for you, dude...
>>
>>54523604
Yeah, but all the rules you're bitching about? Optional.
>>
>>54523660
Yes, I suppose you could just sit there and narrate the situation and roll 3d6 against an arbitrary number to determine success, but you might as well just flip coins you fucking cretin. ALL THE RULES IN ALL GAMES ARE OPTIONAL YOU FUCKING MONG.
>>
>>54523604
The basic set is huge because the authors had the crazy idea of putting almost everything in. They did so much that the splats are like 99% tips for gm's 1% of stats.(baring crazy books like the tech books, or the supplements like powers and supers or dungeon fantasy)
>>
>>54523654
I don't want everything to be done for me because if I feel like getting esoteric and doing something like, say, a class based on being a swarm of disposable mooks (which is something I actually saw on a OSR blog) you most likely won't have the rules I want anyways and if you do, given the core mechanics are simple enough, I'll likely prefer to make my own rather than sift through a bunch of sub-systems in different books to patchwork what I want together.
>>
>>54523740
Look, it's more mechanically heavy than BESM 2nd, which is already mechanically medium, it's a rules heavy game. It's about comparable to D&D 3.5 for basic mechanical density, assuming you aren't intentionally paring the game down to the bare minimum (which raises the question of why not just play a dedicated rules light system).
>>
>>54523774
I just did it

Just buy a bunch of allies, they can be your disposible mooks 50% of your point total, always with you, 100 of them.

Costs 96 points

Took me like 3 seconds
>>
>>54523632
If you can't read and don't have an appetite to learn then you aren't suited to GURPS. Pack up, go home, you are though.
>>
fukkenlold
one gurpstard blaming other gurpstard in he's wrong playing wrong gurps
>>
>>54523826
>GURPSfag shilling his poison

Piss off. He already said his game works well enough for him, why can't you leave it at that?
>>
>>54523604
Just use the Basic Set and ignore a majority of the advantages and disadvantages that don't actively affects the type of game you enjoy.

Go through the basic combat chapter (and tactical if you want that) and ignore hitlocation, bleed, shield damage, and anything else that would slow down combat.

If you're in a fantasy setting, you don't even have to worry about guns so you can throw all those rules away.

Simplify the range/speed table to "bands," (or use the one from Action) if you want things to remain buttery smooth with no table lookups.

If you go through and cherry pick instead of using everything in the Basic Set like you're suppose to, you can cut ALL the fat and be left with an extremely lightweight system.

>>54523632
Just because the book is big doesn't mean that you can't cherry pick through the book. Not to mention that the character book is 90% advantages, disadvantages, and skills so that doesn't really count.

And if you don't want to use the character creation software, and don't want to deal with stupid beancounting, don't use a shitload of modifiers to your advantages or whatever (if that's what you're referring to). Play a straightforward fantasy game with the idea of creating brutally simple characters.

>>54523687
Yes, but GURPS actively says and promotes the idea of a majority of rules being optional. Even the rules that most people swear by in combat like hit location are completely optional.
>>
>>54523826
So? I could make the same concept on M&M 3e about as quickly too, but that's because I'm already experienced in the system, and I most definitely wouldn't use M&M to run an OSR dungeon crawl. The benefit of having an almost non-existent but still functional system, as opposed to a rules-heavy generalist-support one, is that it erases system mastery as a factor on whether or not you can get it to do what you want
>>
>>54523789
Character creation in GURPS is more simple and verstile then those games and it's vastly simpler in play then BESM.

The best reason not to use GURPS is that it's a very powerful and large tool box and many GMs can't use most of the tools and prefer games where they have few options and less is asked of them.
>>
>>54523848
He said that he saw a home brew for his game set around having a swarm of mooks

I pointed out that gurps has official rules for that kind of stuff, and gave an example

I wasn't shilling, just pointing out that gurps does in fact not need homebrew for that example
>>
>>54523687
Yes, but GURPS is actually built with that in mind. Are you okay anon? You seem triggered.
>>
>>54523604
>NO IT FUCKING ISN'T. Even the lite version is 32 pages
It may not be complete, but it's 90% of the system.

>Main dice are 3d6. Roll at or under skill, attribute, CR, etc. to succeed.
>A 3 or 4 is always a critical success, while a 17 or 18 is always a critical failure. If you're rolling against 15+, a 5 is a critical success. 16+ means a 6 is a critical success and 17 is a normal failure.
>Quick contests are resolved in a single roll. You win if you succeed at the other fails, if you win by a greater margin, or if you lose by a smaller margin. Ties mean nobody won.
>Regular contests are resolved in a series of rolls. You win if you succeed and the other fails. Otherwise, roll again.
>Advantages cost points, disadvantages give points.
>Skills are either Easy, Average, Hard, or Very Hard. The cost progression is 1 point total for one level, 2 points total for two levels, four points total for three levels, and +4 points for each additional level. Easy skills start at Attribute+0 with a single point, Average at Attribute-1, Hard at -2, and Very Hard at -3.
>In combat, roll against combat skill to hit, or (combat skill/2)+3 to parry/block, or Speed+3 to dodge.
>If you fail to defend against a successful attack, subtract DR if any, then multiply by wounding modifier for injury.
>HP is equal to ST, FP is equal to HT. At 1/3 HP, halve Move and Dodge.
>Below 0 HP means you roll for unconsciousness, and whenever you act, at a penalty equal to full multiple of HP below 0. -1xHP means you start rolling for death (not penalized). -5xHP means you die.
>Shock penalties come from an equal amount of injury, to a maximum of -4. Penalty applies to DX- and IQ-based skills, but not active defenses or other defensive reactions.
>Major wounds are greater than HP/2. Roll HT to avoid knockdown and stunning. If you fail, you fall down and are stunned. Roll HT to recover at the end of your next turn.

There you go. GURPS. You can run a game now!
>>
>>54523632
The Basic Set is 576 pages, including shit like table of contents, index, example characters and creatures, etc. etc. Those 576 pages cover magic spells, laser guns, knapping a flint spear, interdimensional travel, foraging for food, asphyxiating in the vacuum of space, robots and aliens, mad science inventing, bleeding out, psionic abilities, DRIFTO, and the multidimensional kitchen sink setting for GURPS. The number of pages does not correlate to how light or heavy the rules are when said rules cover so many different topics because you are never going to use more than a fraction of them in any campaign (though I'd like to see the resulting clusterfuck).

Compare this to D&D 5e, which uses 600+ pages between the PHB and DMG while covering only a specific genre and tone. I don't see anyone crying that D&D 5e is rules heavy due to their page count. In fact, 5e is often touted as a simplified, streamlined D&D perfect for newbies and first-timers.

As for chargen software, I don't think it's necessary, but if you honestly have trouble keeping track of points you spend, it's there for you. The existence of chargen software also shouldn't be used as a reason to think the system is complex, as damn near everything benefits from the availability of solid, digital tools.
>>
>>54523910
GURPS gives back what you put in. If you aren't willing to learn then you won't get much out.
>>
>>54523852
>Just use the Basic Set and ignore a majority of the advantages and disadvantages that don't actively affects the type of game you enjoy.
>Go through the basic combat chapter (and tactical if you want that) and ignore hitlocation, bleed, shield damage, and anything else that would slow down combat.
>If you're in a fantasy setting, you don't even have to worry about guns so you can throw all those rules away.
>Simplify the range/speed table to "bands," (or use the one from Action) if you want things to remain buttery smooth with no table lookups.
>If you go through and cherry pick instead of using everything in the Basic Set like you're suppose to, you can cut ALL the fat and be left with an extremely lightweight system.

Or, or, OR! I could play a game that's already lightweight because I have no use for an autism simulator.

>Just because the book is big doesn't mean that you can't cherry pick through the book. Not to mention that the character book is 90% advantages, disadvantages, and skills so that doesn't really count.

Or, I could play a system where I don't have to.

>And if you don't want to use the character creation software, and don't want to deal with stupid beancounting, don't use a shitload of modifiers to your advantages or whatever (if that's what you're referring to). Play a straightforward fantasy game with the idea of creating brutally simple characters.

If I'm not going to use the only actual strength of the game (having rules for fucking everything) why would I use it over a more lightweight universal RPG?

>Yes, but GURPS actively says and promotes the idea of a majority of rules being optional. Even the rules that most people swear by in combat like hit location are completely optional.

They actively promote it for the same reason hipsters do things to be ironic: it's a deflection of criticism that prevents you from ever actually attacking the substance of the game.
>>
>>54524015
But anon, you already have the autism. It shows. Just go back to posting 80pts in guns pasta and it'll be okay.
>>
>>54524015
>Instead of ready to play write-your-hero-name-here package, need to read half-thousand pages book to cherry pick what should players cherry pick for themself
Thats why all that speaking about gurps need boxed sets to get more new players are fail
>>
What's a good, lighter "generic" RPG to use instead of GURPS? I've looked at Savage Worlds and FATE but am not really into bennies/fate points and the like.
>>
>>54523928
Having played both GURPS and BESM, you're completely full of shit. BESM 2nd is considerably simpler than GURPS. Please stop lying.

>>54523932
>I wasn't shilling

Bullshit, thats literally all GURPSfags do, because it cause brain damage that drives them to obsessively try and get everyone to play GURPS.

>>54523935
It's no more built with it in mind than any other game. GURPSfags say this to avoid actual criticism of the autism simulator. Let's argue in good faith and assume that someone is actually running a game with GURPS, which means using most of its dense rulebooks.

>>54523936
That's not a complete game, fuck off.

>>54523973
>Compare this to D&D 5e, which uses 600+ pages between the PHB and DMG while covering only a specific genre and tone. I don't see anyone crying that D&D 5e is rules heavy due to their page count. In fact, 5e is often touted as a simplified, streamlined D&D perfect for newbies and first-timers.

While people do say it's good for new players, literally nobody claims D&D is anything but rules heavy. I suppose we could do some dishonest bullshit like >>54523936 for it, but players of other games are better than that.
>>
File: 1500695533083.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1500695533083.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
>>54524088
GURPS Lite.
>>
>>54523980
I mean, that's exactly it. I'm sure that if I organized a meeting of GURPS geniuses with an intricate enough knowledge of the system we could even forgo common human speech in favor of quoting paragraphs from the rulebook, but if you already have a system which does its job perfectly well, why? I can see using GURPS if you're interested in its complexity, because that's something you're hardly going to see with other systems, but if you gave me a pick between 3 systems which do what I want to varying degrees of success, and making it from the ground up with GURPS, I'd rather see the 3 systems very carefully before deciding I need the extreme generalist thingamajick.
>>
>>54524095
>That's not a complete game, fuck off.
It pretty much is, dude. 2000 characters isn't much to work with, but that really is most of GURPS! Crazy, right? It's just missing the boatload of modifiers GURPS likes, equipment, and definitions for attributes/secondary characteristics. There's really no more rules for GURPS you can shove in there, unless you'd like to tell me what's missing?
>>
>>54524088
Fudge
>not into fate points and bennies
Why? They're fun.
>>
>>54524095
Gurps is not, and never has been a complete game anon. I think you don't understand that and I want it to be very clear.

GURPS is a toolkit for you to make the game you want. Now breathe in, count to ten, and exhale before you go get some tendies.
>>
>>54524015
>If I'm not going to use the only actual strength of the game (having rules for fucking everything) why would I use it over a more lightweight universal RPG?
To put it simply? You can have it be as light as you want, while still expanding it modularly in the areas you want more detail.

Yeah, it can be played bare-bones and narrative as hell, and that works fine. But it gets fun where you have a sorcerer and a martial artist in the same group, who want to get into their respective niches more in-depth. Okay, easy; tack on the Sorcery system, or RPM if they're more into WoD-style sphere magic. Sprinkle some tomes throughout the game world, add some lore.

The martial artist? Maybe you expand available hit locations campaign-wide to make location of strikes more important, or expand injury to make things more interesting on the martial side of things. Maybe you use additional armor rules to make him think about his fighting tactics, bring in more grappling.
Let him buy some actual martial arts styles, then some perks to hone down on those. Maybe allow him access to a Chi system of powers, or "switch on" a bunch of cinematic and Wuxia campaign features.

But the rest of the system remains pared down where you don't need or want the detail. Cut out the crunch where it isn't needed.

By the same token, maybe you use practically NONE of the combat rules; not even hit locations, damage types, etc. You want to play merchants and politicians in a vast web of lies, deceit and profit.
Okay.
So you expand the social side of the system. You bring out Social Engineering. Boardroom and Curia. You get City Stats, and Low-Tech: Life and Economics because you want to get into the nitty-gritty of trade, expansion, etc. Mass combat, so you know what it takes to raise and maintain troup formations. Plug in the rules for building new settlements, or strongholds.

The idea is that it's a "plug and play" system, where you only add what benefits you and makes things more fun.
>>
>>54524065
You tell your players the setting, then check over the character sheets for anything weird

It's like any other game
>>
>>54524175
The ability to actually create characters, hazards, or situational outcomes. That's not GURPS, and nobody plays GURPS like that. So please, let's discuss the game in good faith.
>>
>>54524199
>GURPS
>light
Lel
>>
>>54524199
>To put it simply? You can have it be as light as you want, while still expanding it modularly in the areas you want more detail.

You're not getting me. What if I don't give a shit about that? Like, not one fucking shit. Because other lighter universal RPGs do it without me having to fiddle through them fucking rulebooks.
>>
>>54524221
>inb4 some extremely tortured interpretation of the system that isn't actually playable that nobody would ever use
>>
>>54524162
If you're perfectly happy with a game you've already found, then great. No need to migrate to a new game like GURPS if it isn't going to provide you anything you don't already have. Nobody here (who isn't trolling, anyway) is trying to strongarm you into playing GURPS; it's just a system like any other, but it *is* a good system and has lots of utility.
>>
>>54524216
Character creation is just spending points on making your attributes and skill levels higher, or for advantages that give you modifiers, let you ignore modifiers, or make skill rolls/quick contests for effect.

Hazards: "Roll against DX to jump over the pit. Oh, no, you fell. It's a long enough drop to hurt, so take 2d6 injury."

Situational outcomes: I'm not even sure what you mean here. If you roll really badly, bad stuff happens, and if you roll really good, good stuff happens?

>nobody plays GURPS like this
These are the essential rules you will find in almost every GURPS game. Everything else is gravy, dude.
>>
>>54524248
I don't have to, the summary someone posted is autistic enough and still doesn't have enough to be workable
>>
>>54524228
Then. Play. Them.

But what happens if you want something rules-heavy?

Then you have to learn an entirely different system right? Wrong, you took the time to learn gurps and you don't even have to learn another system.
>>
>>54524095
>It's no more built with it in mind than any other game.
I mostly agree with the rest of your post, but that is a complete lie.

>>54524162
I personally started playing GURPS *because* there were no other competent systems. D&D was and still is ass (though it was competent for a brief period). Shadowrun is a fucking mess. WoD and Exalted simply do not work mechanically. If I wanted a game that was even a touch more detailed and in-depth than "freeform while rolling dice occasionally out of habit" while ALSO being competently designed, GURPS was the only option.

Nowadays, things are better. I love games like DRYH and Dread because they do something GURPS struggles with right out the box. However, I still feel that GURPS is a superior option to the majority of specialized systems (and definitely the ones that managed to get popular), not to mention the ease with which GURPS does weird crossover games.
>>
>>54524179
The way they are meant to be to distributed just rubs me the wrong way by seeming arbitrary and trying to overreinforce behavior that players should be doing for its own sake rather than forcing themselves to engage in for mechanical rewards.
>>
>>54524095
We get it, you can't read and like Korean cartoon games.
>>
>>54524297
>WoD does not work mechanically
Someone never saw nWoD 1e
>>
>>54524278
FUCK. OFF. If nobody plays the game like that, we can conclude that this is not the game. Discuss it in good faith or fuck off.
>>
>>54524313
Without a mechanical reward you get nobody ever taking character flaws except to milk it for drama at the table. Pick your poison.
Also, SW suggests giving bennies for good roleplay in general.
>>
>>54524288
>But what happens if you want something rules-heavy?

I absolutely detest autism simulators, so it's not a concern. There's literally no reason to play a rules heavy game if you aren't some bean counting weirdo obsessed with modeling something to their own exacting conceptions of it.

Or a D&D player. But it gets a pass for being the face of the hobby... for some reason.
>>
>>54524360
I play gurps like that, iz fun.

Oh wait you guys hate that
>>
File: 1489592651371.jpg (87KB, 320x401px) Image search: [Google]
1489592651371.jpg
87KB, 320x401px
>>54524360
Just because you don't want it to be true doesn't mean it isn't true, Anon. That's the barest essential GURPS. How is it not?
>>
>>54524221
>Lel
Okay. It runs pretty light for me at least, and I would consider Fate rules-medium. I'm just telling you my experiences man, and I've played and run a huge number of different games looking for the perfect one (I still haven't found it).

>>54524228
>You're not getting me. What if I don't give a shit about that? Like, not one fucking shit. Because other lighter universal RPGs do it without me having to fiddle through them fucking rulebooks.
Calm down if you'd like to have a conversation. I'm not even the guy you were originally talking to. The benefit of GURPS is that you don't have to know 20 different systems inside and out to play 20 different styles/settings/flavors/etc. of games; just the one. Also, the fact that the modular nature of the game can be utilized mid-campaign without breaking anything, and it's all internally consistent.
I'm not saying this makes GURPS "better" than other games, only that it's a vast and powerful toolset that is worth it to learn if the nature of a flexible and modular system (also particularly open and transparent for homebrewing) appeals to you.
This is my way of long-windedly saying "if you are enjoying the system you're playing now and it does everything you want it to, and you don't mind learning a new one when you want to play something different... great! I'm very happy for you, and good gaming!"
>>
>>54524397
Because you can't run a fucking game with that.
>>
>>54524382
>There's literally no reason to play a rules heavy game if you aren't some bean counting weirdo obsessed with modeling something to their own exacting conceptions of it.
Systems talk aside completely, this smells strongly of "one-true-wayism" bullshit. Feel free to have your own preferred playstyles and system likes/dislikes, but stop trying to pretend your bullshit is some kind of objective quality metric.
>>
File: giggle.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>54524360
>receives countless posts that illustrates that he's wrong
>puts his hands over his ears and shout "nu uh!"

Simply amazing.
>>
>>54524382
>>54524382
So you just hate rules heavy games? Ok then friendo

It seems like you are just WRONG BAD FUN, everyone who doesn't play rules light games is bad
>>
>>54524434
>>54524392 and I beg to differ, anon.
>>
>>54524382
>Rules heavy is autism
Why are you so aggressive? Some people like it when the system actually differentiates things, like when a dagger to the face and an elbow to the kidneys has different mechanical effects.
>>
>>54524397
>>54524434
Let's start, what's a critical failure, a critical success, what do advantages do, what do disadvantages do, how do you determine speed, how do you gain DR, how do you determine HP, ST, FP, HT, Move?

Reference nothing but what is in that post.
>>
>>54524464
No, I hate pushy motherfuckers that have been a nonstop presence on this board since its inception that can't seem to handle people not playing their game and wont shut the fuck up about it. I wouldn't care if GURPSfags could just shut the fuck up. But they wont, they push it everywhere, and can't leave any complaint about the system alone, they'll derail a thread with pushing and defense of the system, and have done so consistently as long as this board has been around.
>>
>>54524506
He could have just said 3d6 roll under and said just as much about gurps, you are correct, however you can play a game of 3d6 roll under. I'm fairly sure that 40k runs like that, or the call of Cthulhu games. It's not bad just extremely rules light
>>
>>54524506
>what's a critical failure
A really bad thing.

>a critical success
A really good thing.

>what do advantages do
They give bonuses to stuff, usually!

>what do disadvantages do
They give you penalties. Grr, frustrating >:(

>how do you determine speed
(DX+HT)/4.

>how do you gain DR
Wear armor, or buy advantages that give it!

>how do you determine HP, ST, FP, HT, Move?
HP = ST, FP = HT, attributes start at 10, Move = Speed.

Was that so hard?
>>
>>54524545
So...you hate yourself? That explains a lot.

>>54524506
But none of those are required to play GURPS anon. They're optional.
>>
>>54524562
>a really bad thing
>a really good thing
>they give bonuses to stuff, usually
>they give penalties, Grr, frustrating >:(

Which means what exactly? Remember: you can't reference anything that is outside that post.

>(DX+HT)/4
>Wear armor, or buy advantages that give it!
>HP = ST, FP = HT, attributes start at 10, move = speed

BZZT! Gonna stop you right there. None of that was in that post.
>>
>>54524565
>I know you are, but what am I?

Great. I generally don't push my games of choice.
>>
>>54524545
Oh lord you're honestly one of those faggots that gets triggered by someone going >GURPS? How have you managed to live so long when such tiny things set you off like that?

Christ, you might as well get pissy when someone posts "Have you tried not playing D&D?" Both are, at this point, automatic reactions by the board. They are posted because it's expected for someone to post them, regardless of if the poster feels that way or not.
>>
>>54524608
>Which means what exactly?
Do you really need to be spoonfed, anon? I thought you liked rules light systems that let you be ~free as a bird~ ~high in the sky~

>BZZT! Gonna stop you right there. None of that was in that post.
Some of it was! Haha, got you >:3c

If you want, I can add the Autismo Extreme 2000-character add-on package, just for you, even though you're seriously harshing my mellow with how many rules you want, man. Seriously giving me bad vibes. Booooo.
>>
>>54524634
Nah, I only see my dander kicked up when some GURPS player derails a thread with that shit. But this is a thread to bitch about GURPS players, so bitch I will.
>>
>>54524650
>there's no medium between GURPS and a 4chan post "rule system"

Good lord man.
>>
>>54524545
People ask /tg/ for a game to play something with.

Gurps can be used to play almost anything, so people recommend it.

Gurps is also controversial as an autism simulator, and /tg/ strives on strife. Thread explodes into rage.
>>
>>54524480
Savage Worlds does this with 0% autism, if you use the Gritty Damage rule
>stabbing a nigga in the face causes him to go blind in one eye, look fucking hideous or suffer a minor concussion as most of it misses or deals superficial damage but the handle dings him in the skull
>an elbow in the gut, assuming it gets through at all, is likely to crack a rib or knock the wind out of them, with obvious stat penalties
>all this is assuming it doesn't take them out entirely
>>
>>54524545
>pushy motherfuckers
So like every other playerbase with any presence at all on /tg/?

>can't seem to handle people not playing their game and wont shut the fuck up about it
This is so rarely the case. It's mostly trolls posting in system suggestion threads, and if it's *not* trolls then usually people are helpful enough to explain why they think GURPS would be a good choice, what tweaks to make or supplements to use, etc. And it should hardly surprise you that a well-known GENERIC SYSTEM shows up frequently in system recommendation threads; Savage Worlds and Fate also get a lot of love, they just don't have as much of a presence on /tg/.
Yes, a good chunk of the GURPS fanbase is pushy "one system to rule them all" idiots, but that's hardly the majority. It's simply a large group of people, anon.

>I wouldn't care if GURPSfags could just shut the fuck up
"Don't talk about this game I don't like! It causes me emotional anguish!"
I guess you truly are a native fa/tg/uy.

>But they wont, they push it everywhere, and can't leave any complaint about the system alone, they'll derail a thread with pushing and defense of the system, and have done so consistently as long as this board has been around.
What's funny is that about 3/4s of the time, whenever I see threads devolve into GURPStalk it's because somebody posted something like the OP of this thread talking crap about it for no other reason than because they don't like it, causing an endless downward spiral of shitposting. I'd say I've seen more GURPS shitstorms started by posters like you than by the "braindead autismal shills" you keep mentioning.
The irony is that if you all just recommended games you like instead of losing your shit when you see words starting with "G", it'd be far less terrible

Anyway. I guess the actual debate - and I use that term in the loosest sense possible - is over at this point. I'm glad you have games you like to play and aren't just being angry here for no reason, for real.
>>
>>54524685
There is, it's called GURPS Lite! But that's just too big and scawwy for widdle anon-tan to handle :c so I'm helping him out! c:
>>
>>54524660
>GRR I GET SO MAD WHEN I SEE GURPS EVERYONE IS A SHILL REEEEEEEE
>lol yumadtho?
>Haha I am actually not mad. I am actually the very model of a calm and collected Anon.

Just stop dude.
>>
>>54524506
You have to do that sort of baseline shit in a normal RPG system, idiot.
>>
>>54524713
>I can't defend my clunkfest! Better start the babytalk mockery!
>>
>>54524629
Then what are you doing here?
>>
>>54524693
Can it do a tank deception fighting a laser Kung fu master using Kung-fu drop kick. To the specifics of the laser weapons and/or actual kung-fu techniques?

Or a RAF game with cyborg ninjas with their own fighting style?

Pocket sand?

Going from gunpowder to grenade?

Bicycle dude?

Vemon-suits?

All of the above to exteme detail? No? Then what's your point?
>>
>>54524758
The implications of your posts are that GURPS is somehow clunky because it has stats and derived stats - which have existed in RPGs since the beginning.

What exactly is your argument?
>>
>>54524758
Yeah, rolling under with 3d6 sure is clunky >_<' It's just so hard to know that you roll 3d6! Like, helloooooooooo!? I'm a busy guy, here! Got people to see, things to do! I can't learn how to roll 3d6, lol. Especially when, like, someone lays it all out for me in a 4chan post?
Wowee-zowie, my brain hurts! Now, a d20? That's perfection. Beautiful. One roll, one number. Genius!
>>
>>54524711
If you haven't seen an overly defensive GURPS player derail a thread, you're engaging in selective bias. Which isn't unreasonable, those defenses probably do seem reasonable to you, because you're part of the tribe. But GURPS players being overly pushy has been a well repeated complaint on /tg/ for as long as /tg/ has been around, so I'd be willing to bet there's a grain of truth to it. Hell you even acknowledge it.

>"Don't talk about this game I don't like! It causes me emotional anguish!"

Not what I meant. You know how when you see a criticism of GURPS and you feel the need to defend it relentlessly in an unrelated thread? Don't do that.

>angry for no reason

There's a certain sense of liberation in anger. But I must admit I feel a bit silly.

>>54524723
Things I never claimed or implied.

>>54524713
You'd be hard pressed to play anything with it.
>>
>>54524378
So, if I pick the poison of not having the mechanical reward, what are my options?
>>
>>54524821
>Things I never claimed or implied

No, only displayed.
>>
>>54524800
He wasn't claiming it was clunky because of that. He was claiming that there's more to the game than is in that post.
>>
>>54524821
I played a Star Wars game with GURPS lite. It was fun.
>>
>>54524778
I don't know what the fuck you're even saying. But yes, it can probably do those, although not to the doubtlessly autismal levels of detail you imply at the end.
>>54524805
>implying I d20
Just look at the rules you posted for parrying/dodging earlier, jesus fucking christ
>>
>>54524845
>I'm going to read something that isn't there.

Man, it's like you're a caricature of a deconstructionist or something. I never claimed to be calm.
>>
>>54524821
>If you don't agree with me, YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!
>They're so fucking pushy they never shut up they always do this shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up!!
>...I ain't mad tho lol.
>>
>>54524881
>>54524894

Naw he mad, he at least can admit when he's buttbothered though, so we may as well ignore his assmad ramblings.
>>
File: 1470166405613.jpg (34KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
1470166405613.jpg
34KB, 600x407px
>>54524821
>You'd be hard pressed to play anything with it.
Are you having problems running a game in it, anon? I'm here to help! I'll teach you how to read, how to roll some dice, how to come up with a campaign idea, even how to find friends to play with! Here, I'll be your first friend. What's your nintendo friend code? We can play pokemon together!! >w<

>>54524869
Oh, no, is math hard for you? Gosh, we'll have to start from the beginning! Okay, so, like, you do the stuff inside the parentheses first, okay? So when it says combat skill / 2, that means you divide. Do you know what that means? Okay, basically, imagine I have 10 M&Ms. If I divide by 2, I have to make two equal groups of M&Ms! Can you think of a way to split 10 M&Ms into two equal groups?

That's right! Five on one side, five on the other! Very good! Here, go ahead and eat them. You deserve a reward, you smart lil' cookie you :3

Okay, next, we need to add 3. Oh no, you ate all of the M&Ms! Don't worry, here's more. Okay, now let's practice counting. Take out oooooone M&M, twooooooo M&Ms, three M&Ms! Now we have added three M&Ms to the five M&Ms! What does that make? Ok, go slow. Take your time.

>...
>...
>...

That's right, eight M&Ms! That's your parry score! Now, don't change it, because that's what you roll against every time you defend!

Yaaaaay, you did it!
>>
>>54524894
I literally never claimed to not be mad. I have myself a bit worked up because I find GURPS players frustrating and pushy, because they wont honestly discuss the merits of their system, instead going for butchered interpretations that you can barely do anything with as though it's a defense of the system when it is in fact just a deflection of criticism. Even GURPS Lite is horribly limited; I'd wager the guy who played a Star Wars game with it didn't do much more complex than fight stormtroopers and probably still had to kitbash a bunch of shit.
>>
>>54524842
Shitty games, mostly.
>>
>>54524922
>criticism with any amount of negativity is automatically worth ignoring

Alright, you raise up that wall and maintain that echo chamber.

>>54524950
I also aint as mad as this guy.
>>
>>54524842
Fudge is about it I think. Bennies are frequently used to smooth out the edges of rules light RPGs.
>>
>>54524991
>criticism with any amount of negativity is automatically worth ignoring
If you want your criticism to be taken seriously, you need to demonstrate what's wrong, specifically, with what you are critiqueing. Saying lots of stuff without giving any specifics is a sure-fire sign that you didn't read the book and are phoning in this essay the night before, young man! See me after class.
>>
>>54524869
I legitimately made a character for a zombie apocalypse game in gurps.

He used grenades filled with gunpowder launched via slingshot. I have yet to find another game with rules for that character.

It wasn't even autistic. I'll quote the very taxing process of making gunpowder.
>sulfur, saltpeter, and charcoal
> explosives(demolition), explosives(fireworks)+4, chemistry+4

Wow so hard, then I just use a sling skill to see if I succeed, it's almost as if gurps is well thought out to go into as little or much detail as you want.
>>
File: 1494487544005.png (41KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
1494487544005.png
41KB, 500x504px
ITT:
>>
>>54525021
What you're saying is tantemount to saying that the only people who can critique GURPS are fans, because only fans will put in that kind of effort. I played GURPS, it didn't offer anything that a lighter game wouldn't offer if you don't care about positively pedantic levels of detail like >>54524778 for highly specific, weird concepts.

Can you use GURPS to run an OSR game? Yeah, probably, but why do it over Labyrinth Lord or B/X? Can you use GURPS to run an action game? Yeah, but why do it over Fate or Savage Worlds? What if you never, ever want to dial up detail to a level that would have it so GURPS offers an advantage?
>>
>>54524821
>If you haven't seen an overly defensive GURPS player derail a thread
I have. Re-read my post. I just said it's much less common in my anecdotal experience than seeing one derailed by posts like yours upthread.

>Not what I meant.
Okay.

>You know how when you see a criticism of GURPS and you feel the need to defend it relentlessly in an unrelated thread? Don't do that
No? I'm very open to criticism of it as a system, *particularly* in system suggestion threads, as that's where GURPS' weaknesses need to be discussed seriously as a matter of actual importance for any "uninitiated" GM considering it as an option. Often times people ask for something light, and in that case when people suggest GURPS I actively *deflect* the OP from that suggestion and explain why it's more than likely not a good choice for them. I have seen others do the same; fortunately it's growing to a more common practice among the more proactive members of the GURPS community here on /tg/. I'm afraid I can't apologize for not chiming in on every recommendation thread.

I understand your frustrations (I share them doubly as a member of the community who would prefer us not to be viewed generally as obsessed, autistic wankers), but please also try to understand that the posts you're talking about are a vocal and often intentionally antagonistic minority; not representative of those of us who ACTUALLY play and enjoy the system.
Unsurprisingly most of us are actually level-headed and know that GURPS is not, and can never be, the answer to everything. That's just the meme talking. I do have to admit, I think the meme is pretty hilarious though. Doctored images of cults, nazis, sacrifices, frogs and all.

Barring further clashing, I really am genuinely glad you have your own games to have fun with and be positive about. This hobby is about fun, as much of a buzzword as that is. You don't have to love the games me and my players do for us to bask in the communal glory of our shared interests.
>>
>>54525103
>What if you never, ever want to dial up detail to a level that would have it so GURPS offers an advantage?
Then you don't play GURPS, you dumbfuck. That's common sense.
>>
>>54525106
>Barring further clashing, I really am genuinely glad you have your own games to have fun with and be positive about. This hobby is about fun, as much of a buzzword as that is. You don't have to love the games me and my players do for us to bask in the communal glory of our shared interests.

Dude, please stop. You're making me feel like a total jackass. Good job.

Fuck I lost my shit over nothing.
>>
>>54524950
>yaaaay you did it!
Are you normally this much of a condescending prick? Here, compare your faggot abortion of a system to Savage Worlds.

>Instead of dividing your skill rating by three like a fucking dumbass, you halve your Fighting skill and add two to it, giving you a fixed Parry score opponents need to beat to hit you
>Hit points aren't realistic in the slightest, fuck that shit, we have wound levels. Halve your Vigor stat and add two like you did to your Fighting skill, this is your Toughness and works pretty much the same
>Damage that beats your Toughness is enough to shake you, which is a fleshwound or some other minor injury that doesn't do much more than rattle you. Get hit while shaken or by an attack that beats it by four, you lose a wound level
>Every wound level lost is a penalty to your checks, none of that bean-counting shit about the last third of your health
Hope you packed your lunch, we're taking your ass to school
>>
>>54525153
It's okay. We all lose our shit from time to time. Just don't let the endless fountain of spergs on this board drag you down man.
>>
>>54525180
Pfft, I am one of those spergs.
>>
>>54525156
Fixed defenses are stupid
Hp is a cool generalization
What you call bean counting is legit just grade school math, if you have problems with it you probably shouldn't be playing TTRPG's
>>
>>54525023
>using a special sling skill
If I weren't phoneposting this is where I would add an image of mocking laughter
>>
>>54525103
That's fine. The issue (I think; I've lost track of who's trolling who at this point) isn't that people aren't using GURPS, so off to the camps with them. The issue (again, I think) is that people are losing their shit because other people recommend a system that they personally dislike.

If someone comes in asking "GUIS, HOW DO I [X]," one of the responses will assuredly be GURPS. This is because GURPS probably can do [X], and there are people that enjoy the system and want other people to try it out as well. I don't see why that's something worth making a bitchthread for.
>>
>>54525156
>Instead of (performing the wrong calculation), you (perform similar calculation) and (lose granularity and player engagement by making defense a static number)
>I haven't played GURPS so I don't understand how HP works, I think everything uses D&D bloat.
>Wounding system that you (me) don't have a problem with
>Bean-counting means performing a single calculation before the game starts and never changing it unless you specifically buy more of it
No, silly anon-tan, I'm the senpai here >:3 And I'll have you know that Savage Worlds was my favorite system before finding GURPS >___< It was such a breath of fresh air! But then I started reading books like Martial Arts and saw how much cool stuff there was already done for you in GURPS, and that it could run even more things than Savage Worlds, so I made the switch >w<!! And now we're here!
>>
File: 1492007996756.gif (756KB, 540x350px) Image search: [Google]
1492007996756.gif
756KB, 540x350px
>>54525209
>I am one of those spergs
Then truly we belong here together.

Have a nice day anon (and you other anons out there too, even if you're still arguing); may your next session always be better than the last.
>>
>>54525217
>Fixed defenses are stupid

Attacks that take more than two rolls to resolve are stupid.

Creating a GURPS character on the level of an SW character, takes a minimum of 50 points, which will continually rise and fall and involve a bunch of sub-modifiers to the costs in the process. Meanwhile, the largest number an SW character will be dealing with is 15, and it wont rise or fall continually during the process, only fall.

And let's not strawman this as being hard. Nobody finds 50 to be a hard number to deal with, the word you are looking for is tedious. Many people don't find character creation fun, and would prefer to minimize it.
>>
File: IMG_0457.gif (220KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0457.gif
220KB, 320x238px
>>54525231
Am phone posting

What you think people should be good with all weapons? That's unrealistic but gurps is happy to have that too. Wildcard skills act like normal skills but let you have the skill level to all the skills covered by it, so marksman! would let you use all ranged weapons

Pic related
>>
>>54525217
>fixed defenses are stupid
Nah, turning every fucking attack into a roll-off and bogging down the game is dumber.
>HP is a cool generalization
In a system that's meant to be a simulationist's paradise? No

>>54525258
>the wrong calculation
>le obnoxious emoticon spam
Please, just kill yourself kouhai. You shame me.

>>54525274
>unrealistic
Realism is for sperger cunts, oh wait this thread is full of them
>>
I use GURPS as a sperg detector whenever I play with a new group of people.

The ones who have played, or have no strong opinion one way or the other, get to stay. The ones who bitch about GURPS but have legitimate complaints presented in a reasonable way, they get to stay too.

The ones who hate it for meme reasons or sperg out at its mention on the other hand, they get the boot. I don't know why, but GURPS is great for exposing THAT GUYS (as this thread has shown) who would've otherwise ruined the campaign and it has served me well for several years as a DM.

Funny thing is, I don't even play GURPS, I've just read a little of it to understand how it works.
>>
>>54525274
>that's unrealistic

If I recall of GURPS' skill divisions correctly, they're pretty unrealistic as well. Providing sharp divides between weapons that aren't substantially different.

>have to use an optional rule to not have a bajillion weapon skills

Or just play a game without a bajillion weapon skills. It doesn't add anything to the game besides reflecting some author's conception of realism (not actual realism, mind you, just the author's conception of it).
>>
File: IMG_0459.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0459.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>54525315
Oh you think my chemistry teacher who slings should be able to shoot a bow? Why, especially zombie apocalypses try to at least be semi-realistic.
>>
>>54525325
>of all the things that have happened, this happened the most

And then everyone in the restaurant started clapping!

>>54525348
And you think that kind of arbitrary mechanical division actually matters? Most games include options for weapon familiarity. Savage Worlds includes a penalty for using skills for shit you aren't reasonably familiar with.
>>
>>54525332
If you don't like how skills are divided, you can simplify them yourself and it wont really affect other parts of the game.
>>
>>54525380
GURPS has that too, retard.
>>
>>54525348
Slings are fucking awkward as all hell, even moreso than bows. And yes, actually. If not that, a crossbow is pretty simple to wield.

>>54525380
You mean the skill specialty rules? I never use them. Can't see the point, especially since piddly shit like Climbing and Swimming should really be rolled into one skill already.
>>
File: IMG_0290.png (765KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0290.png
765KB, 960x480px
>>54525380
Gurps has defaults, if I attempted to use a weapon like a sling I'd use my sling skill at a small penalty. Oh wait that's exactly like what you posted, cool
>>
>>54525381
...Or just use a game where I don't have to put in that extra legwork. GURPS has the added disadvantage of becoming completely boring if you simplify it, because it wasn't designed to be run in a light fashion.
>>
>>54525332
I'm not saying this in any way resolves your distaste for the system, but I've played fast-and-loose GURPS games using pointless chargen and Wildcard-only skills (so like, 2-4 per player), plus the fate-point-like Impulse Buys and I've Thought Of That! no-prep rules, and it was just fantastic. I've been really wanting to run another like that for some time. All hyperbole aside it was truly rules-lite and worked great.
I'm not saying you should play it or it addresses your concerns or anything, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.
>>
>>54525397
Not really, the idea here is that the penalty goes away if you become familiar with the thing through a training montage or something.

>>54525408
Except if you ever want to use that different weapon, you now have to invest points to eventually learn it, rather than just applying your old skill to it.
>>
>>54525380
>of all the things that have happened, this happened the most
Actually, most people I've gamed with were of the type who either said yes, meh, or no (because reasons) than sperg out.

If I had to give it an actual number, I'd say that around 1 in 15 people end up getting the boot and that's a really rough estimate.

So no, it doesn't happen a lot, but when it does happen, it tends to be more-or-less accurate.
>>
>>54525414
It's not any less boring than games which have the simple skills to begin with, and you have the option of using the harder ones

And there is an entire book of simplified skills just for you, because SJG is cool like that
>>
>>54525458
I'm saying you're full of bologna and don't actually do this, and are merely using this bologna as an attempt to claim anyone with a distaste for GURPS as "that guy." Hence my allusion to one of those 'and then everyone in the restaurant clapped" style stories.
>>
>>54525439
You just have to put points into it, like any other skills.

A good GM would let you get extra points for the skill because of your familiarity
>>
>>54520407
>things that never really happen, the thread
>>
>>54525501
Again, you can just use a system where "Shooting" is the skill, like Savage Worlds or Fate, and then become familiar with the weapon. With no detriment to the game.
>>
I like that GURPS shitstorms usually start off as horrific shit flinging but often get more and more reasonable, until either people are discussing things entirely rationally and congenially or have agreed as a group that they simply have different taste in games and that's okay.

Doesn't happen every time but it happens often enough, and it pleasures me deeply. Yes. In the way you're thinking of.
>>
>>54525332
You are recalling the divisions correctly for the most part, but you're probably forgetting defaults. Instead of having overly-broad skills being the only option, GURPS has more narrow skills BUT lets you roll for closely-related skills at a penalty. For example, while most systems have Medicine or Healing as a skill, GURPS has First-Aid, Diagnosis, Surgery, and Physician. Those skills are closely related, so you can, for example, attempt to perform surgery with First-Aid (albeit at a penalty). This lets skills be retain some breadth.

If that level of granularity isn't necessary for your game, use the Medic! wildcard skill. It keeps things simple and fast and flowing. The options are there to let you differentiate between different types of caregivers like combat medics and traditional doctors with lab coats are clipboards OR ignore that shit and get on with it if different types of doctorin' doesn't fit your game.
>>
>>54525529
Same.
>>
>>54525485
You presume an awful lot about me considering we've never met before. Are you mad because you'd end up being one of the few who gets caught by my sperg detector?
>>
>>54525526
There is legitimately a shooting! skill.
>>
>>54525535
But if you're never going to use that kind of granularity, why bother with GURPS?
>>
>>54525550
Because you like rolling 3d6.
>>
>>54525550
Because there is other stuff than the skills?

Advantages, disadvantages, magic system, tech levels, psionic powers, guns, etc?
>>
>>54525548
And why should I use GURPS over a game already designed for a lighter style of play?
>>
>>54525597
See >>54525580
And >>54525569
>>
>>54525439
Like >>54525501 said. Usually at the end of a session a GM gives you at least 1 point and that's enough to buy a skill. Whether the GM allows you to buy the skill or not is up to him.
>>
>>54525543
Please, if you were advertising a GURPS game I'd just ignore it. I don't care that people play it. People play Pathfinder too; there's no accounting for taste.

>>54525580
You mean things just about every game has without being saddled with GURPS' baggage?
>>
>>54525550
see

>>54525433
>>54524398
>>54524297
>>54524252
>>54524199

There are probably more posted but I'm honestly too lazy to go through and reread this entire thread
>>
>>54525580
>advantages and disadvantages
>what are edges/hindrances, merits/flaws, etc
>magic and psionics
>oh wait almost every other generic system has these
>guns
>ditto, hell Savage Worlds' exploding damage rolls make any shot potentially lethal if you like that sort of thing
>tech levels
>ripped off wholesale from Traveller, which sucks nearly as bad
>>
>>54525617
And in games like SW or Fate, learning to use a bow wont screw your advancement as it would in GURPS.

Give a choice between learning to use a bow, or just investing in the shit I'm already good at, GURPS provides me a strong incentive to just go with the latter.
>>
>>54524545
I masturbate parakeets.
>>
>>54525526
Except that the loss of granularity can lead to weird characters, especially when the character is supposed to be specialized. For example, lets say my guy is specialized in bows. Maybe he grew up in a place (or time) where guns aren't A Thing and bows are still the go-to gear for hunting and fighting at range. Maybe he has trained exclusively in bows for some esoteric reason known only to him. Maybe I just saw The Avengers and want to make not!Hawkeye. Regardless, my character as I have conceived of him is really really good with the bow and just the bow. The system keeping it at a single all-purpose Ranged Combat Skill can lead to weird results like my Mongol archer also being a crack shot with a rifle and a skilled pistolero. The system's lack of granularity works against me in that case.
>>
>>54525651
No it doesn't improving slings would have cost me 4 points whereas gaining bows would have cost 1 point
>>
>>54525673
You a breeder?
>>
>>54525673
Hot.
>>
File: 1498534583979.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1498534583979.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
>>54520407
I think people just like posting this picture of a frog.
>>
>>54525677
You can start with a high granularity and pare down easily. The reverse is almost impossible most of the time.
>>
I legitimately believe that there are viral marketers for GURPS on this website and it needs to be banned outright.
>>
>>54525677
I can't recall the specific rule, but you take a -2 (a pretty hefty penalty in SW) for doing something with a skill you shouldn't be familiar with doing. You can become a crack shot with a rifle through becoming familiar with it, and that's not an unreasonable outcome.

>>54525680
I know that. You'd be better off saving up those four points to boost the sling than the bow, especially if the sling is already "good enough."
>>
>>54525677
It depends on the setting. In a medieval fantasy setting there are no firearms to worry about, so your point is moot. In a setting where there are guns it's assumed your character knows the basics of pointing them at what he wants dead and pulling the trigger.
>but I don't think he'll ever use t-
Then don't have him use them. It's that simple.
>>
>>54525650
Oh so they have multiple different ways of doing magic and psionics, entire books of alt systems in fact?

/k/ levels of guns

Entire books about the different tech levels written by people who know what they are talking about?
>>
>>54525718
What makes you think that?
>>
>>54525629
I don't advertise a GURPS game, I simply mention it in conversation and ask people if they've played and if so, their opinion on it.

If I just advertised a game right out the gate, the spergs would get scared off and ruin someone else's game. So instead, I namedrop it in casual conversation when they aren't expecting it and since spergs generally have a rough time adapting to unexpected changes in their environment, they end up revealing themselves almost immediately because there's nothing more that spergs love to do than to show you how right they are in their opinions.
>>
>>54525651
>learning to use a bow wont screw your advancement as it would in GURPS
That's not really how the system works.

>Give a choice between learning to use a bow, or just investing in the shit I'm already good at, GURPS provides me a strong incentive to just go with the latter
No, it provides you increasing incentive to do the opposite and broaden your skillset (to a point; then the most advantageous solution becomes raising the base attribute). The reason for this is the way that modifiers work; the higher your skill becomes, the more your points invested become diminished returns beyond soaking penalties.

That said, if your goal is to be Legolas with a bow or whatever, yeah probably most of your points are gonna go into Bow. But I think that's also kind of the point of the character concept?

Also, none of this is discussing the Learning system, which is independent of spending points. So you can practice a sword in your downtime or whatever (or adventuring, which counts as more time invested) and get good at it without spending your earned points.

Lastly, familiarities are a thing which act like the way you described, where you invest some time and the penalty just goes away for the item in question; but those are specific to each Skill and are a higher level of granularity, so probably not something you're interested in hearing about or relevant to this specific topic anyway.

P.S. don't get mad at me for replying to you, I'm not saying you have to like the skill system I'm just saying it kinda works differently from how you think it does.
>>
>>54525718
Haha wow.
>>
>100 point character
>leave all stats at base
>set aside 20 points for peripheral skills
>put 80 points into Rifles
>now have DX+21 in Rifles since skill cost doesn't escalate
>can take a couple minor disadvantages to have DX+25 if I feel like it
>now I have a 35 in Rifles skill
>WITHOUT aiming I can headshot a running target at 200 yards and still be rolling against 17
>with aiming I can do it even further out, or in darkness

Explain why this game ISN'T broken.
>>
>>54525677
>>54525719
Familiarization, it's at the start of the skills chapter. There's a more in-depth variant called Skill Specializations. I have never looked at them.
>>
>>54523398
>best general
>That's like saying it has the best watery shit.
Honestly, I've brought up issues and questions to GURPS gen and not only had them answered, but didn't have a bunch of people calling me a shitty GM or a social justice warrior.
>>
>>54525719
Yea but if I want to get good at a bow it wouldn't be hard

Say I had 4 points and sling 13

I could boost sling to 14, or I could get bow to 12, and buy anouther perk or easy skill

It's cool
>>
>>54525738
>thingsthathappened.jpg

Kay.
>>
>>54525762
That's a fantastic pasta.
>>
>>54525740
I'm not mad. I just don't see a point to all that fucking around. It's a simple concept that GURPS makes unnecessarily complicated.
>>
>>54525818
I guess it's complicated on paper, but in practice it's simple.
>>
>>54525734
No, because that's autism that has nothing to do with what you should be doing at the table, which is having fun and telling a story.

There are multiple methods for powering magic in SW, although when you get down to it psionics and spellcasting use the same basic underlying framework. Not a lot in the way of gunporn and the corebook will make any /k/ommando rage (protip, swap the AK and G3 statlines) but hopefully Ghost Ops will fix that.

Who the fuck gives a shit about tech levels when you can condense that shit down to a few sentences and extrapolate from those?
>>
>>54525788
I am thankful for your sake that you've never had to deal with a sperg who had to proudly announce how right their opinion was on something and I hope you never have to witness the horror of it during your lifetime.

It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, I know how effective it is and whether or not you adopt it yourself makes no difference to me.
>>
>>54525818
It doesn't I could just forget about it, but if I want to use it, it exists making my job as a gm easier
>>
>>54525762
I don't like GURPS and I've gotta admit that this pasta is a bit absurd.
>>
>>54525843
It's more complicated than "-2 that goes away with a training montage" and accomplishes the same aim while screwing with advancement.

>>54525851
In what way does increasing the book-keeping of downtime and character advancement make your job easier?
>>
>>54525844
What happens if I want to use a weapon like a sai? Tonfa? Other games I'd have to use other weapons for stats, but in gurps I have rules for all of those.

They also include stats for power generation, housing, entertainment and food, as well as many other things.

It has all of this so you don't have to guess, not simply autism for autism's sake
>>
>>54525818
Well while I disagree that it's 'unnecessarily' complicated as a general statement, your perspective is certainly valid and I can understand your complaints and the points you made previously. In your case I would say GURPS as a system will probably continue to rub you the wrong way and most of it would probably feel 'unnecessary' or needlessly complex, and it doesn't sound like it would add anything to your experience.
>>
>>54525897
>tonfa or sai
Str+1d6. There. Done.

>stats for power generation
>not simply autism for autism's sake
Are you fucking reading your own posts?
>>
>>54525897
All of GURPS' rules are great for two reasons: It helps bad GMs by letting them RELY ON THE SYSTEM instead of trying to make their own rules, and it provides incredible internal consistency well past the point where most games would be a shuddering, sobbing wreck.

GURPS also actually allows you to run games with a bunch of different splatbooks concurrently. Can't mix Werewolf, Vampire, and Hunter, because the systems already shit the bed on their own. I can mix werewolves, vampires, and monster hunters in GURPS, because GURPS has the internal consistency to make it viable. And goddamn is it fun.
>>
>>54525809
Yes it is. I love that new permutations pop up every now and then in the General. I honestly which I'd saved all the pasta I saw a few weeks ago because I haven't seen any of it posted since (accompanied by hipster images), and it was almost all purely brilliant OC. Honestly hope those posts resurface at some point.
>>
>>54525952
>can't mix werewolf, vampire and hunter
Again, someone hasn't read nWoD 1e!
>>
>>54523310
Fucking duh. New here?
>>
>>54525844
>No, because that's autism that has nothing to do with what you should be doing at the table, which is having fun and telling a story
Not him; I'm not saying you have to like GURPS, but the point is that you *don't* do any of that at the table. Gameplay *is* having fun and telling the story, as much as with any other game.

That's all just chargen stuff, which of course does require more legwork in GURPS than many systems for people with weird powers or whatever.
>>
>>54525897
I'm afraid you're out of luck on the Sai. Sorry dude. I'll admit that as a fault of the system.

There's a fan made system for building weapons called Savage Armory, but I can't really bring it up as a defense of the system.

Tonfas are just a club aren't they?

Generally for power generation, you take powers and apply trappings to them. The same guy that did those weapon creation rules converted a bunch of 3.5 spells as examples, I'm sure you could figure out most things through that. There's also a super powers companion that's fairly robust (though I'll admit it's lacking in some things, mainly summoning anything beyond basic mooks).
>>
>>54525944
First off that makes all the different weapons boring and offers no incentive for using anything off the beaten path

Power generation isn't autistic, it have a generator tells me about its fuel, then tells me how much it powers like "a house" or "large city"
>>
>>54525944
Some game master want to include accurate portrayals of power infrastructure in their game, and some GURPS books provide such information. For those not interested, they can simply disregard it.
>>
>>54526003
I'd just have the sai's prongs grant +1 Parry.
>>
>>54526027
That's fine, use GURPS. If you want a lot of nuance, GURPS would probably be a fine choice.
>>
>>54522036
yeah really.
>>
>>54526027
That's the only thing I find GURPS books useful for: as textbooks for better games.

>>54526024
It is. Exactly when is it going to matter to the players how many fucking jizzawatts your generator spunks out per second? And I'm using ejaculation references because frankly this kind of thing is largely intellectual masturbation
>>
>>54526072
You are the biggest faggot in this thread.
>>
>>54526098
:)
>>
>>54526089
>That's the only thing I find GURPS books useful for: as textbooks for better games
>better games
I think what you meant to say was "games I like more than GURPS."

But yes, GURPS books are great references for lots of other systems. Except stuff like Amber Diceless, really narrow but interesting games like that.
>>
>>54526089
Since when did pursuit of knowledge become autistic? Is this what clapburgers actually believe?
>>
>>54526089
What if I wanted to make a compound for an apocalypse, I could have it powered by a gas generator and then have them go and get fuel for it.

You see?
>>
>>54526089
You're still using a GURPS book :)
>>
>>54521958
It has no flavor.
>>
>>54526153
>>54526104
>>54526072
>>54525977
pls go
>>
>>54526153
You have no flavor.
>>
>>54526130
>pursuit of knowledge
>in a fucking PnP game

This is /tg/. We have plenty of people with college educations and autodidacts of varying quality, loving learning is pretty normal here, even if we're mostly kinda thick. But how many kilowatts an hour you're going to get out of a generator is a pretty wanky thing to know in a game, since most games do just fine with an abstraction (can hook this many points of shit up to it) and any attempt to realistically model it would still wind up glossing over shit continually (fuel quality, mechanical failure, atmospheric conditions affecting output, etc.) anyway.
>>
>>54522429
nah it's trash
>>
File: kill you last.gif (2MB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
kill you last.gif
2MB, 500x271px
>>54526172
>>
>>54526135
Then you could just have your players estimate the amount of fuel needed to keep it going with a Smarts/Intelligence/whatever check instead of sperging around with exact figures.
>>54526130
>implying I'm from clapistan
>>
>>54522501
12s are better than 10s
>>
I enjoy playing GURPS. To me it's one of those systems that's found that elusive equiplibrium of having just the right amounts of complexity and depth without going off the deep end and it's easily the system in which I've had the most fun as a player.

I've only recently started playing it as a GM and beyond having trouble fitting what I have in my mind into gameplay-girls, it's been a rarther smooth ride so far.
>>
>>54522649
what's sjg
>>
File: 1465592387002.jpg (61KB, 2048x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1465592387002.jpg
61KB, 2048x1280px
would gurps work for an earthbound or MOTHER like setting?
>>
>>54520940
>People are so engrained in number crunching and min-maxing
What that is all GRRPS is about. It is a min/maxer dream come true
>>
>>54523181
Everything I said is objectively correct. Try actually playing the games, faggot.
>>
>>54526236
Yea pick up psionic powers, powers, and high tech.

But the basic set would work too
>>
>>54526184
How is it wanky? Why is wanting to know how many kilowatts the doomsday machine requires a wanky thing? That sounds exactly like the sort of cool stuff /tg/ would love, or are you forgetting about all of the "autistic" things roleplayers have made? Bag of holding meets portable hole arrow? Undead computer? Rape factory? Sure, you laugh those off as jokes, but when someone takes the time and effort to do something like this, we appreciate it, marvel at it, think about how we can use it for our games. We're inspired by it.

Why are you shitting on somebody trying to be inspired? On somebody's fun?
>>
>>54526171
no :)
>>
>>54523540
yeah it is
>>
>>54523838
not going anywhere, GURPS is trash :)
>>
>>54526254
Because the rape factory was actually funny. Your jizzawatt(fuck, I love that word)-powered doomsday device is just dull. Especially since the fun part about doomsday devices is what they do, not whether it's powered by a nuclear reactor or one of those shitty gas-powered things.
>>
>>54525767
But you probably are a shitty GM and social justice warrior
>>
>>54526238
It's more like a rollplayer dream come true, since it has mechanics for fucking everything. So that brand of gamer that refuses to do anything that isn't on his sheet will love it.

But minmaxing in GURPS is stupid, because you can destroy the universe in less than 100 points with GURPS.

>>54526254
It's wanky because what matters is the doomsday machine, what it will do, and how they'll stop it.

>Bag of holding meets portable hole arrow? Undead computer? Rape factory?

I'll be honest, I'm about half a step away from pounding a "no fun" sign into the ground, because I hate literally every single one of those. I thought they were stupid then, and I think they're stupid now.

>Why are you shitting on somebody trying to be inspired? On somebody's fun?

Oh go away. I already told you to play GURPS if that level of detail is your thing, but I doubt even GURPS will provide it. I think it's dumb and wont enhance the game, in fact that kind of detail tends to just bog the game down.
>>
File: 1487460689187.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1487460689187.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>54526291
>>54526280
>>54526267
>>54526251
>>54526238
>>54526233
>>54526214
>>54526188
>>54526153
>>54526104
>>54526072
>>54525977
>>54526295

Your hard work in imploding this whimpering drivel of a thread has not gone unnoticed, honorable soul.
>>
>>54526306
Wow, I didn't think anyone could be mad at the skeleton computer.

You are a WRONG BAD FUN dude, just take a chill pill.

If this thread has taught me anything it's that gurps hater are more autistic than gurps players, by a considerable margin.
>>
>>54526386
I'm not mad at them. I just don't like them. There's a difference man.
>>
File: 1475987121872.jpg (12KB, 135x131px) Image search: [Google]
1475987121872.jpg
12KB, 135x131px
>>54526293
>Figuring out how to disable a doomsday device isn't part of the fun
>But figuring out the losing condition is

>>54526306
>how they'll stop it.
And knowing how it's powered is a factor in that.

>I hate literally every single one of those.
Anon, I...
>>
>>54526386
Fellow GURPS player here; IMHO you are acting pretty autistic too. I would never track all the stuff you've been talking about and I agree with the other guy on a lot of stuff. But to each his own, no offense intended (seriously).
>>
>>54526293
>Your jizzawatt(fuck, I love that word)-powered doomsday device is just dull...in my opinion.
>>54526306
>I think it's dumb and wont enhance the game, in fact that kind of detail tends to just bog the game down...in my opinion
FTFY

Not the guy you're talking to btw, I just generally dislike people listing "flaws" that boil down to personal preference as actual marks against the system. Like, if someone said "legos is fucking so autistic, who wants to spend hours recreating a life-sized storm trooper?" would you honestly think that that's a flaw against legos or that the person saying it is someone you should listen to?

Of course not, if people want to recreate a storm trooper out of legos, fucking go for it. If you want to know the minutia of creating a doomsday weapon in a tabletop game down to the fuel economy, fucking go for it.

If that's not your cup of tea, it doesn't make either of those things relatively simple to play around with either.
>>
>>54526409
>And knowing how it's powered is a factor in that.

Yeah but knowing the precise kilowatts/hour it takes for that is not.

>Anon, I...

Hey man. I ignored the threads like a good boy. I only came into this thread to bitch because it is indeed a thread for bitching.
>>
>>54526409
>figuring out how to disable the doomsday device
Does it matter what's powering it when a couple of blocks of C4 will fix its wagon pretty quick?
>>
>>54526424
Oh get off your high horse. I told him to play GURPS (which I'm not actually sure if even GURPS goes into that level of detail) if that kind of shit matters to him, but I'd be willing to bet and entire box of donuts that kind of minutiae would just bog a game down.
>>
>>54526437
It doesn't tell the power in watts, it says stuff like
>powers a "small house" or "city"

It just lets you know what stuff is powered by, and what kind of fuel is required, and how much a generator costs
>>
>>54526437
>Yeah but knowing the precise kilowatts/hour it takes for that is not.
I get satisfaction from knowing it. Knowing it informs me on other aspects of its design. If it requires enough juice to power three city blocks, that means something much different from blowing the circuit of a house and much different from starting up a decommissioned Soviet NPP that's just as dangerous as the doomsday device itself.

>>54526454
>Does it matter what's powering it when a couple of blocks of C4 will fix its wagon pretty quick?
See above. Also, going loud might not be an option.
>>
>>54526506
>going loud might not be an option
That's what remote detonators are for, sperglord
>>
>>54526530
No, I mean, might not be an option at all. It could have a failsafe that activates it in case of being tampered with, like being exploded, but that failsafe might have an oversight, like not accounting for the power going out. If it relies on a nuclear power plant, like I said above, then having the power cut might just not enter the loony engineer's mind.

And now I have a game idea! Thanks, anon, even if this conversation wasn't fruitful for you. Time to open up GURPS Disasters and Meltdowns...
>>
>>54526499
Pretty much every game does shit like that.

>>54526506
I don't know if any game has ever gone into that precise kind of detail. Do you want to know how many BTUs a plasma rifle can put out too?
>>
>>54526530
Ok tell me how much a external detonator costs?

C4?

What it takes to make C4?
>>
>>54526569
>Do you want to know how many BTUs a plasma rifle can put out too?
If it becomes necessary, or if I just get curious, I can. GURPS!
>>
>>54520407
Despite the meme responses your op has surely gotten:

Answer:
>http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54363173/#54363173
For many in tg, gurps is one of their favorite systems.
>>
>>54526479
Well how are you going to send those donuts because let me tell you, if the table is interested in the minutia of figuring out the fuel economy of a doomsday weapon, the game will never be bogged down.

I mean, let's be honest here, looking at most games that people consider "popular" on this board, you'll find that there's a lot of games on the market that are way too complicated for a recreational game, and yet people will not only play those games, but convince others to play as well in order to bolster their community.

I mean fuck, have you SEEN YGO recently?
>>
>>54526586
Not even GURPS will tell you that.
>>
>>54526562
Blow up the failsafe. Hell, blow up the systems that allow it to be activated at all.
Look at it this way: nobody has ever given a fuck about the power supply of a Metal Gear, they just know it's a big slightly silly nuke-toting mech that needs to be stopped.

>>54526582
I don't know, something else that's entirely irrelevant to the plot?
>>
>>54526621
What the fuck is YGO?
>>
>>54526650
Yu-Gi-Oh
>>
>>54526650
Yu-Gi-Oh, or as it's more commonly known, Black People MtG. I'm only half shitposting.
>>
>>54526647
You need to know how to get explosives if you plan to blow things up.

Sure you can just skip it narratively but what's the fun in that
>>
>>54526710
>what's the fun in that
>better autistically go through every single stage of scouring the black market or filling out requisition forms!
>>
>>54526733
>Implying scouring the black market can't be a quest in and of itself.
>>
>>54526582
>$50

>$30 per pound

>from High-Tech p. 186:
>Producing home-made plastic explosives requires $50 in raw materials per pound, 12 hours’ work, and a Chemistry or Explosives (Demolition) roll. Failure means the plastique is unstable (-4 to all Explosives rolls to use the stuff), weak (halve damage), smelly (detected on an unmodified Smell roll), and/or inert (simply won’t blow up). Critical failure detonates the whole batch for full damage! See also Plastic Explosives (pp. 185-186).
>>
>>54526757
See it let's you make fun sidequests

Chemist can track down stuff
Cop can try to find a supplier
Thief can try to scour the black market
>>
>>54526757
It can be, but I have a plot to move along here. Besides, nobody is going to risk being caught with C4 unless they intend on blowing something up with it pretty soon, so fannying around with a subquest isn't really a great idea since they know the superweapon exists and they want it blown to shit before it can be set off.
>>
>>54526847
>It can be, but I have a plot to move along here.
>Implying scouring the black market shouldn't be a part of the plot.
So what, every party should just start off with the macguffin needed to kill the Big Bad every single time? I mean, you could make a point of saying that going for the four elemental crystals in a Final Fantasy game should be skipped too since the main point of the game is killing Garland.

So tell me, why is finding the crystals in FF okay but finding C4 to take out the super weapon isn't?
>>
>>54520940
What even are you on about?

The breadth of GURPS rules that are optional definitely runs a simulationist bent. Min-maxing and munchkining are acknowledged by the core books, and some of the books encourage it, like Dungeon Fantasy, which plays like a _good_ AD&D. The combat doesn't need to be detailed at all, and realism is easily supplanted by cinematic rules that are right in the core rulebook. Fast and loose is really easy to do, just ignore some of the rules. The combat outlined by the (free) 31 page LITE pdf that SJGames provides is pretty fucken barebones, and still allows for a lot of really cool maneuvers.

The biggest thing about the combat is that it _feels_ so fucking good. You have a deep variety of strategic options, and an incredible amount of agency. Even the LITE pdf has sufficiently comfy combat rules. If you _want_ to go hog wild, you definitely can, as an option.

However, in my experience it also has the most robust, and simultaneously easiest, roleplaying and story mechanics for its characters. Other narrativist games might run smoother for story, but I like what GURPS has going. Limitations breed creativity, and that's exactly what Disadvantages are: limitations on how you roleplay a character. You get real, mechanical reward for outlining how your character thinks and behaves. That eyepatch that the war-veteran wears isn't just a cosmetic feature. That's fucken great.
>>
>>54526926
>glossing over what is a minor detail in the leadup to a campaign-ending event is totally unacceptable, especially when there's a time limit involved
You know as well as I do that most PCs would narrow this down to finding the most likely people to sell the shit, then making them fellate their guns until they hand over the explosives.

Also because unique elemental crystals are far harder to come by than something pretty much every military has a stockpile of.
>>
>>54527076
>You know as well as I do that most PCs would narrow this down to finding the most likely people to sell the shit, then making them fellate their guns until they hand over the explosives.
So because you play games with ADD riddled monkeys with itchy trigger fingers, it means that the concept of actually playing out the acquisition of C4 to destroy a superweapon is poor form?

If acquiring C4 is that easy to do, that honestly says more about your skill as a GM than any flaws in the concept, leading to my next point.
>Also because unique elemental crystals are far harder to come by than something pretty much every military has a stockpile of.
Do you honestly think that raiding a military compound is going to be that fucking easy, especially to acquire explosives?
>>
File: On_page_9_you_git.png (148KB, 450x547px) Image search: [Google]
On_page_9_you_git.png
148KB, 450x547px
>>54522202
Fucken seriously. cononical conversion scale is right in the front of the only book you actually need to play.
>>
>>54523077
That's because LITE doesn't include all the cinematic rules that jack up the comedy level and cut the seriousness off at the knees.
>>
>>54524095
>That's not a complete game, fuck off.

1) You're assblasted as fuck about this, aren't you?

2) His post of the core rules had no flavor, advantages, disadvantages, etc, but that was literally all I used to GM a Xena: Warrior Princess game, and then three hours later, GM a Shadowrun game, and my players didn't miss a fucking beat.

Seriously, the _rest_ of the basic set is pretty much just "here's why you'd use this" and "here are difficulty modifiers/bonuses for you to use this".

For the unwashed, character creation can be daunting, just like any game. Give them a template which has specific instructions of "put points into this, choose one of these" and it's simpler than a lot of OSR material, and certainly simpler than D&D.

Seriously, it took me less time to teach my girlfriend and another neophyte to play GURPS and make a character than it did for us to make D&D characters. You better believe it played more smoothly than D&D did last saturday night.
>>
>>54527753
I'm assblasted as fuck that GURPS fans wont discuss the merits of their system honestly, instead trying to butcher it into some sort of caricature that nobody actually plays. If you actually reference those rules in the books, you get a heavy fucking game.
>>
>>54527834
>"If you use more rules in this modular system, the game you're playing will have more rules."

Holy shit.
>>
Oh boy it's another

>ITT: People who haven't played GURPS try and tell people who do the problems with their system.
>>
>>54527871
The game isn't as modular as you dishonest wankers like to make it sound, the only stripped down version of it offered is a fucking incomplete joke, and fucking nobody uses it stripped down like that. I don't believe for one second that was the extent of the rules you used in a combat heavy game like that, you lying fuck.

I also don't believe it was any easier to teach than D&D, since they're about equal in mechanical complexity.
>>
>>54527892
>it's another "you've got to eat shit to know it tastes bad" episode

Yawn.
>>
>>54527834
>If you use more rules, the game becomes more complicated.
Stop the fucking presses, holy shit.

I also love how this is only an issue with GURPS, but not with shit like 3.PF where using splats is practically mandatory to design a martial character who is worth a damn.
>>
>>54527926
Considering most of the shit people are complaining about with the system is wrong or outright misunderstandings on how the rules work, I'm sure a lot of issues that people ITT have with GURPS would be solved if they actually bothered playing it.
>>
>>54527930
GURPS isn't played without more rules, because it becomes a bland drag that offers nothing over any other system. The only thing GURPS offers is obsessive detail for pedantic gamers.

>D&D 3.5

Is complete and utter garbage. Try again.
>>
>>54527910
>I don't believe for one second that was the extent of the rules you used in a combat heavy game like that, you lying fuck.
That depends on the flavor of combat, friend. You most certainly can run oldschool D&D combat with those rules. If you want to include hit locations, tactical combat, grappling, and so on, you're willingly adding complexity to the combat of your games because you, personally, want them to have more detail. What was posted above seems to have been good enough for >>54527753, and other people in the thread have said as much, too. Why is it so hard for you to accept that some people play really light versions of GURPS? Is it because it doesn't fit your narrative?

As for it being easier to teach than D&D, it's certainly easier to teach than 5e. "Here's 3d6. You roll that whenever you want to do something, from jumping chasms to blocking dragon's breath. Sometimes you roll HT in combat to not go unconscious. Let's play." Boom. Done.
>>
>>54527959
What are they wrong about?

>no, not some tortured strip down of the system that renders it basically non-functional as a response please
>>
>>54527910
Honestly, I use 3 books and a series to construct my games.

I use Basic Set for the basic rules.
I use the Dungeon Fantasy series for genre-related simplifications of rules introduced in the Basic Set.
I use Martial Arts for expanded combat options.
I use Low Tech for gear, weapons, and armor rules.
>>
>>54527985
Just the level of complexity, points might seem daunting at first but as you go deeper things get easier. It's the same with the gameplay, it seems hard but isn't

It's like chemistry, big words for extremely simple concepts
>>
>>54527975
>Why is it so hard for you to accept that some people play really light versions of GURPS?

Because every GURPS thread and every GURPS poster winds up going into complete pedantic detail of every option. Even the much touted dungeon fantasy books went into autismal detail with each specific weapon having its own unique skill and other stupid rot. This bizarre reverse strawman only comes up when people criticize GURPS. That is the ONLY time it ever appears.

>As for it being easier to teach than D&D, it's certainly easier to teach than 5e. "Here's 3d6. You roll that whenever you want to do something, from jumping chasms to blocking dragon's breath. Sometimes you roll HT in combat to not go unconscious. Let's play." Boom. Done.

That's. Not. The. Full. Extent. Of. The. GURPS. Rules. That'd be like saying 5e is just "D20+modifier" but no D&D player is that stupid.
>>
>>54527985
>>54527966
If people want to run a simple game using GURPS, I don't see why the game going "listen, you just need to know how to roll 3d6+mod." is somehow a mark against it.

I mean seriously, is your entire premise just "people don't play GURPS lite because GURPS lite is bland" because if it is, you've got a lot to learn about the difference between a fact and an opinion.
>>
>>54528000
Four books is not a small game.

>>54528013
Using points is a tedious exercise in bean counting. We've been over this, calling it hard is a strawman. GURPS is not "daunting" it's tedious and unnecessarily cluttered/clunky. Stop with the strawmen.
>>
>>54528031
>Because every GURPS thread and every GURPS poster winds up going into complete pedantic detail of every option. Even the much touted dungeon fantasy books went into autismal detail with each specific weapon having its own unique skill and other stupid rot. This bizarre reverse strawman only comes up when people criticize GURPS. That is the ONLY time it ever appears.
People get enthusiastic and talk at length about their favorite system, oh no. People give recommendations for extraneous, optional reading material (which they make clear), oh no. GURPS has the audacity to say that an axe, mace, and broadsword are different weapons and should play differently, oh no. Not to mention that almost all of those posts say "You can do this with Lite/Basic Set," aka the core rules or the expanded core rules.

>That's. Not. The. Full. Extent. Of. The. GURPS. Rules.
How is it not? Are you going to actually explain what you mean or keep repeating that manta, friend?
>>
>>54527985
Well so far the current dialogue is about some anon who is in disbelief that you don't need a huge number of splats to handle some campaigns. I've owned the Basic Set which has served me well and then I use either my 3ed Cyberpunk or High-tech splats. As well as the modularbility.

Base GURPS is really 3D6 roll under against either a stat or a skill. Modifiers apply and how many depends on how complex you are making the campaign. It's not hard for the player but has been a headache to me as the DM because I need to figure out what I DON'T want to put in the campaign rather than what I have to put in.

I've also seen people wrong about how skills work assuming that splitting your points between different disciplines screw you over. 1-3 points in a skill are usually enough to give you a usable skill; it all depends on what your defaults are before purchasing.
>>
>>54528041
Because that isn't all you need to know. Even to use GURPS Lite you need to know more than that. Like, the fact that initiative is not that, damage is not that, damage penalties and the effects of negative HP are not that, etc.

GURPS Lite isn't bland, it's incomplete. Running a game more complicated than drunken louts getting in bar fights (without mechanics for being drunk at that) is a no-go.
>>
>>54528061
It's not a straw man, I find it very easy to keep track of numbers.

I have never felt like character creation has been tedious, as like a normal person I know math and how to plug numbers in a calculator.

It's not unnecessarily cluttered to, if it's so cluttered show me. Prove to me that gurps is cluttered
>>
>>54528031
>Because every GURPS thread and every GURPS poster winds up going into complete pedantic detail of every option.
Okay, every D&D thread goes into pedantic detail for how martials always suck in comparison to mages, it doesn't mean that every game ever ran was immediately derailed because a mage prepared sleep against an encounter against an orc.
>Even the much touted dungeon fantasy books went into autismal detail with each specific weapon having its own unique skill and other stupid rot.
Have you taken a look at older editions of D&D? Because if you have, the game goes into just as much minute detail on the differences between weapons and how they far in different variables. Just saying.
>That'd be like saying 5e is just "D20+modifier" but no D&D player is that stupid.
That is generally all you need to know to play D&D though so I don't understand why this isn't true.
>>
>>54528097
You are one pedantic motherfucker, holy shit. Are you seriously so hedged into a corner that you're relying on semantic nitpickery like "damage isn't 3d6"? GURPS Lite is incomplete but the way it is is nowhere near the zip code you are sending postcards from.
>>
>>54528096
NOBODY HAS ONCE SAID IN THIS THREAD YOU NEED A HUGE NUMBER OF SPLATS TO RUN A GAME HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Just the fucking basic set, which is a dense, mechanically heavy game.

>Base GURPS is really 3D6 roll under against either a stat or a skill. Modifiers apply and how many depends on how complex you are making the campaign. It's not hard for the player but has been a headache to me as the DM because I need to figure out what I DON'T want to put in the campaign rather than what I have to put in.

The basic resolution mechanic is not the full game. HOW ARE YOU SO FUCKING STUPID?

>I've also seen people wrong about how skills work assuming that splitting your points between different disciplines screw you over. 1-3 points in a skill are usually enough to give you a usable skill; it all depends on what your defaults are before purchasing.

Does it, or does it not detract from your advancement in a skill you're already good at?
>>
>>54528061
I didn't say it was small, I said that's what I use. And what I use is enough to make any sort of low-tech fantasy game that I could want.
>>
>>54528097
>Even to use GURPS Lite you need to know more than that.
Says who?
>>
>>54528117
I know math too. I still find GURPS tedious for the same reason I find doing my taxes tedious.

>Prove to me.

This isn't math.

>>54528129
Why do you automatically assume D&D is my preferred alternative? For all you know I'm an assmad Risus player.

>>54528132
It's not pedantic to point out that you're a lying fuck. GURPS is not "3d6 roll under" in the same way D&D is not "D20 Roll Over."
>>
>>54528144
You see, gurps is really all built on 3d6 under.

Using it as a basic explanation for gurps is valid, especially because gurps is so vast.

Purchasing many skills on the cheap is a great way of spending points, especially if you are ok with making your character a little less min-maxed
>>
>>54528180
THE FUCKING 32 PAGE BOOK ASSHOLE.

>Join GURPS game
>the GM asks me what I do
>I just throw 3d6 down on the table and declare myself God
>GM says I can't
>BUT I THOUGHT GURPS WAS JUST 3d6 ROLL UNDER? A DURRDURRDURR

It's almost like there's more to the game than that.
>>
>>54528204
D&D is built on D20 roll over.

Why is it not valid to explain D&D as that?

>GURPS is so vast

I thought it was just 3d6 roll under?

>Purchasing many skills on the cheap is a great way of spending points, especially if you are ok with making your character a little less min-maxed

The fact that this would be a tactic to minmax proves the original point, that this system discourages your character learning new things.
>>
>>54520809
Gurps is a good replacement for three of those.

Its a crappy replacement for d&d.

The draw of d&d is the prebuilt settings and adventures, coupled with the d&d genre that it has defined for itself centered around the d&d specific races, magics, and monsters.

GURPS sucks for that. Yeah, it *can* do it, but you're going to be spending a lot of time converting the mountain of content you need to replace d&d.

Good luck with that.
>>
>>54528144
>Just the fucking basic set, which is a dense, mechanically heavy game.
With options to only use what you want from it. How are you not getting this? Even hit locations are optional you can just treat characters as lumps of HP.

>The basic resolution mechanic is not the full game. HOW ARE YOU SO FUCKING STUPID?
Base resolution is the only thing that has to be in the game to be playable. This also means that you have to have attributes and skills to check against. Everything else is optional. How are you not getting this?

>Does it, or does it not detract from your advancement in a skill you're already good at?
If you mean that you won't be able to put free points into your already present skills than yes. If you mean that you get worse at a skill than no. Getting better at some skills will also raise your ability to use others depending on how your defaults function. But overall how is it a flaw to say that "By spending time to get better at driving I don't necessarily get better at shooting?"
>>
>>54528181
>Why do you automatically assume D&D is my preferred alternative? For all you know I'm an assmad Risus player.
I'm using D&D to illustrate a point, mainly that most of the issues that you've raised against GURPS can also be applied to D&D as a whole and yet somehow, it's only an issue when levied against GURPS.

I mean, if your complaints had merit then we wouldn't even be having this discussion because people would've looked at chainmail or AD&D or B/X or whatever and said "that shit's too complicated, I'm going back to playing something else." and there wouldn't even BE a tabletop genre (well, in terms of tabletop RPG's at least) in the first place.
>>
>>54528181
For the record GURPS and risus are my favorite games. But you acting like a fool, screaming on this Mongolian throat singing board, as well as failing to provide proof for any points your opponents make, especially because they do it.

Gurps is nowhere near taxes level of math, especially if you have a planed out character. There is nothing better than stewing on a character then making them come to life with the system.
>>
>>54528213
>I just throw 3d6 down on the table and declare myself God
Even a game like Exalted doesn't let you do that shit, and in that game, you're actually playing godlike entities.

I mean fuck anon, I hope you have a better point to make than "THIS GAME WON'T LET ME WIN IN SESSION 0, THIS IS WAY TOO COMPLICATED!"
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (356KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
356KB, 1214x1239px
>>54528213
>>
>>54525272
>>54525315

>Attacks that take more than two rolls to resolve are stupid.
>Attacks turn into a roll-off

Stripping agency, choice, and engagement from your players by tying their characters fate, not to how well they play but to one fucking blip on their sheet, is stupid.

Also, two is an awfully arbitrary number. Is it because other games have attack and damage, and not attack, defense, damage? Rolls add tension to a game.

>The goblin attacks... he hits for 8 damage!
Nothing you can do about that, and the rolls are hidden from you. The rolls also give no hints about narration, and you have to narrate over two numbers that nobody had any saw about.

>The goblin attacks! Can you defend yourself?
>Roll vs dodge/parry/block and tension builds for the player who is actually doing something.
>Make it, and you skate out of it with no damage. Miss, and you see the consequences of your failure.
Here, the player gets a say in what happens; in getting to do something and risking failure, there is tension. The narrative flows around what _actually_ happens, instead of some improvised bullshit around some numbers.

One more roll for defense doesn't really slow anything down, and where it does, it more than makes up for it in the agency of the player, the tension, and the narrative aid.

While I'm at it...
>50 point GURPS character requires complicated modifiers and points go up and down.
50 points is a one-trick pony average person, not an adventurer. Modifiers are mostly ignored unless you're creating a non-human character. Disadvantages reward you with more points for limiting what you can do.

>HP somehow doesn't jive with a simulationist system.
Literally meatpoints until 0, and below that it's basically your will to live/stay conscious. At least it follows some intuitive pattern, like ST and HT.
>>
>>54528255
Because GURPS isn't played in that light fashion. Literally every discussion of it goes straight into pedantic detail about the system, and that's its intended function.

There is more to a game than its base resolution, if that was all that was needed, tabletop gaming as we know it wouldn't exist.

I was referring to points you are awarded at the end of your session, not that stupid training mechanic.

>>54528256
People level complaints at D&D all the fucking time, you assclown. We have daily "when did you realize D&D was shit?" threads.

>>54528260
It's still fucking tedious beancounting.

All I want is GURPS players to be slightly honest about the system and stop trying to pare it down to something that it's not actually designed to run as.

>>54528308
That's not my fucking point. My point is that there's more to the game than 3d6 roll under. That shit is a strawman used to deflect criticism of the game.
>>
>>54528251
It's not a crappy replacement for D&D. You can take the good shit from D&D (settings and adventures) and run them in a system that's actually fun to play in (GURPS). I'm actually going through oldschool D&D adventures right now, reading them, and making them in GURPS. It's stupid easy when you have Dungeon Fantasy 1 as a guideline for adventurers and monsters, and the best part is this stuff finally gets played in a system it deserves.

You'd have to be retarded to think that you need to convert everything into GURPS in order to play one adventure in Eberron, Mystara, Grayhawk, etc. Nobody does that, and nobody has to do that.
>>
>>54528355
Dice rolls are not agency.

Two is an arbitrary number, but it's basically standard. I prefer one, but wont go higher than two because more than that slows down the game unnecessarily.

And yes it slows things down, it's a 50% increase to rolls and requires the attention of the second participant, which further slows things down.

50 points is the *minimum* to mimic an SW character that will take half the time to make.

HP literally doesn't jive with simulationism. If you aren't tracking the path of a bullet through organs ala Phoenix Command, you aren't simulating. But I can't hold that against GURPS.
>>
>>54528384
>That's not my fucking point. My point is that there's more to the game than 3d6 roll under. That shit is a strawman used to deflect criticism of the game.

How? What rules are being excluded here that are needed to know to play?
>>
>>54528389
>system it deserves

You arrogant piece of shit.
>>
>>54528384
>People level complaints at D&D all the fucking time, you assclown. We have daily "when did you realize D&D was shit?" threads.
People level complaints against 3.PF, not D&D as a whole, there's a difference.

Even so, it doesn't negate the point I made about the complicated rules in those games not really mattering all that much.
>My point is that there's more to the game than 3d6 roll under.
There is, but if you just want to dive straight into the game without having to reference more than a handful of rules, "3d6+mod." will generally get you through most sessions until you're comfortable enough to start expanding your library.

You could've done a better job of presenting your point though, because the shit you said earlier made it sound like you were mad that you couldn't win the game with a single die roll.
>>
>>54528434
Character creation, skill usage, combat.
>>
>>54528384
It's not bean counting, gosh. Its addition and subtraction, with some mulitiplitication and division added in sometimes.

I can do all of that on my calculator, or in my head if I needed too. Plus risus is point buy too, isn't that bean counting?
>>
>>54528457
>People level complaints against 3.PF, not D&D as a whole, there's a difference.

That's the most popular form of D&D, but most of the complaints apply to it as a whole. I know, because I take part in those shitstorms (it's good fun).

>There is, but if you just want to dive straight into the game without having to reference more than a handful of rules, "3d6+mod." will generally get you through most sessions until you're comfortable enough to start expanding your library.

And d20+mod has gotten plenty of new players through 3.5 back when I played that shit. It didn't make it good.

>You could've done a better job of presenting your point though, because the shit you said earlier made it sound like you were mad that you couldn't win the game with a single die roll.

I was trying to point out that there's more structure to the game than the resolution mechanic.
>>
>>54528443
So they don't deserve a good system? Or are you saying D&D is good?

>>54528459
Character creation is adding and subtracting numbers, skill usage is rolling 3d-motherfucking-6, and combat is also 3d-motherfucking-6. Explain to me how that's wrong.
>>
>>54528443
DnD sucks for DnD. Gurps just works better.
>>
>>54528384
You keep saying beancounting. What do you mean by this?
>>
>>54528384
>Literally every discussion of it goes straight into pedantic detail about the system, and that's its intended function.
On a board where people do this for every system. What is your point? Play an actual game or look at an actual replay before saying that everyone uses all those "pedantic details" you don't like.

>There is more to a game than its base resolution
Yes, but because everything but those are optional you consider the "core" of the system 3d6 vs attribute and/or Skill. If this were Fate you could say that Fate is 4d6 against the ladder and still be accurate.

>if that was all that was needed, tabletop gaming as we know it wouldn't exist.
Actually there are systems that literally are just resolution mechanics, again, what is your point.

>I was referring to points you are awarded at the end of your session, not that stupid training mechanic.
Points at the end of the session are dependent on how the GM wants to treat progression. that "stupid training mechanic" is one OPTIONAL way to handle progression. You can also just say that you dump your points into whatever you want. The choice of handling it is literally up to your GM.
>>
>>54528482
It's bean counting. When you're dealing with 100 points and sometimes dealing in single point increments for insignificant shit, you're engaging in bean counting. That's too much bean counting for my tastes.

Some amount of counting will be found in every system, GURPS chargen has too much of it, and reminds me of Rifts chargen, only better formatted.
>>
>>54528513
K then you hate point buy?

What the heck do you even play? Risus has point buy, classes suck, will you ever find happiness?
>>
>>54528498
>So they don't deserve a good system? Or are you saying D&D is good?

Honestly, I don't much care for old school D&D, but it's actually pretty decent. But those modules deserve the system they got because they and the games they were partnered with were fucking groundbreaking at the time. I don't begrudge you converting them, just that arrogant bullshit.

>>54528508
Pointless, tedious counting that involves a bunch of obnoxious, fiddling modifiers to do what should be an effortless task.

>>54528509
Even the systems that are just resolution mechanics have more than that to provide context to the resolution mechanics.
>>
>>54528493
>That's the most popular form of D&D
Actually, that would be 5e.
>And d20+mod has gotten plenty of new players through 3.5 back when I played that shit. It didn't make it good.
The point is that it's a basic explanation on the bulk of the game's rules that allowed newbies to play without being bogged down by the rules. Whether or not the rules are good is irrelevant to this discussion.
>I was trying to point out that there's more structure to the game than the resolution mechanic.
There is, but if you don't want to deal with that, you have the option of just boiling it down to its bare essentials and the game still functions as intended.
>>
>>54528541
Every game has it, I prefer to minimize it, becaus I don't feel the need to be able to play as asparagus.
>>
>>54528578
So how do you run a combat with *just* 3d6 roll under? Remember: no initiative mechanic or damage rolls.
>>
>>54528579
Then what are you getting after gurps for?
>>
>>54528563
>Even the systems that are just resolution mechanics have more than that to provide context to the resolution mechanics.

So first, do you acknowledge that your problem is that the rest of the points I addressed?

As for systems that are just resolution systems; what do you mean by context? GURPS gives you context because as I've been saying it's

>3d6 checked against an attribute and/or Skill.

The context is your attribute or skill. Are you checking against against HT you're making a check against Health (not the same as HP). Am I rolling against my climbing skill? I'm now climbing something.

Context is baked into GURPS basic resolution so what is your problem.
>>
>>54528599
"Anon, you go first, and then the orc."
"Anon, you hit. Roll a d6 and add three."
>>
>>54528599
Oh man I rolled under, looks like I progress.

Oh man my opponent rolled under looks like I move back.

Play continues until a person fails, which makes them lose the fight
>>
>>54528614
This is a thread to bitch about pushy GURPS fans, and by extension the system. I leave GURPS and its threads alone, hell I don't even stir up shit about recommendations of it because the marketplace of systems is how it is (and being notD&D, we're all irrelevant).
>>
>>54528645
It's just like having a family member having to do something, and using a very ghetto way of doing it.

You have a tool that is perfect for that job, as it will do almost anything.

It's a bit complex, but if you master it you never have to buy tools again.

And so you try to sell your tool to that family member.
>>
>>54528631
>So first, do you acknowledge that your problem is that the rest of the points I addressed?

I really don't give a shit about the rest of those points. I'm not going to check out anything else about the system because despite owning the core books, my experience with it was shit and I don't think it has anything to offer me. There is more to a game than its resolution mechanic. I really, really do not care about its advancement rules at this point because I think familiarization systems are superior to having a bunch of pointless extra skills; which basically only serve to satisfy pedantry.

>As for systems that are just resolution systems; what do you mean by context? GURPS gives you context because as I've been saying it's

I mean like how difficulty and modifers work, how to interpret what an actual roll is. Even simple D6 doesn't just say "roll d6, check number."

>The context is your attribute or skill. Are you checking against against HT you're making a check against Health (not the same as HP). Am I rolling against my climbing skill? I'm now climbing something.

All that shit you listed? Is not 3d6 roll under. It's managed under that system, but it is distinctly something beyond that resolution mechanic.

>Context is baked into GURPS basic resolution so what is your problem.

Because figuring out what each resolution is for and does requires more than just the 3d6, it requires a bunch of mechanics to explain it.

>>54528637
How do you figure out who goes first with checking the initiative rules? Just because the noob can't see the rules doesn't mean they aren't there. That d6 roll is not 3d6 roll under.
>>
>>54528681
Yes but the tool isn't any better than most other ways of doing it, and you're incapable of seeing that. I haven't seen anything about GURPS that would make me want to run it over Fate, Savage Worlds, or even BRP, because I don't care about pedantic detail, and that's all it offers over those systems.
>>
>>54528738
And a fun community and developers that care about it. As well as extreme modularity.

But whatever.
>>
>>54528599
Damage
>When rolling 3d6, whenever you successfully perform an action, deal "1" damage for every "2" points you beat your target number.
>So if your target number was "10" and you rolled a "2," your attack would deal 4 damage total.
>Always round up.
Initiative
>One player from the party will roll 3d6 against the GM, who will be representing the enemy team.
>The GM and the player will roll and whoever rolls lower allows their team to go first.
>Ties go to GM
There.
>>
>>54528765
>fun community

Kek. ONE OF US ONE OF US. No thanks.

>developers that care about it

Siembieda cares about Rifts. That aint selling me on it.

>extreme modularity

Every generic system ever. It's not 1990.
>>
>>54528788
>things that aren't GURPS

kek

Give it up already. Just admit that there's more to GURPS than 3d6 roll under.
>>
>>54528424
Bennies a shit.

If sw wasn't built with the Benny parasite intricately tied into its nervous system, it might actually be playable.
>>
>>54528812
You just told me to run combat with just 3d6 roll under, and I did.

What's the problem?
>>
>>54528844
>hating on bennies

Hi gramps, welcome back to 1999.

>>54528884
Pay attention to the discussion dear. You didn't run GURPS combat with it.
>>
>>54528389
I actually like gurps.

I would still not use it as a d&d standin.

Its not forgotten realms if it doesn't have forgotten realms races, creatures, magic, and character abilities.

What you're describing is adapting adventures for one game and setting to another setting entirely.

Just like when someone tries to claim you can run the witcher in d&d 3.5 or savage worlds, I tell them they're full of shit, because they don't have an elemental mana channeling magic system to use (the only type of spellcasting in the setting) , or something even close.

Whereas gurps can handle it pretty damn well because rpm.

Gurps might be able to handle dungeon crawling fantasy adventures, but so can a dozen other systems, including osr clones, Unisystem, BRP, and Savage Worlds.

But if im playing d&d, it's because I want more than dungeoncrawling; it's because of all that shit that nobody would spend the ton of time converting to gurps.

If someone converts it all and brings it all together then I'll consider gurps for d&d. Until then: gurps isn't worth using for d&d.

It makes a good stand in for shadowrun though. Way less content to convert.
>>
>>54528709
>I really don't give a shit about the rest of those points.
Those are your arguments being dismantled. Do you not care that you are wrong about some things?

>Even simple D6 doesn't just say "roll d6, check number."
>All that shit you listed? Is not 3d6 roll under. It's managed under that system, but it is distinctly something beyond that resolution mechanic.
Which is why when I describe GURPS I specifically say you are rolling under an attribute or skill. It's not just 3d6 roll under it's specifically needs either an attribute or skill. I've run games without advantages with this idea.

>Because figuring out what each resolution is for and does requires more than just the 3d6, it requires a bunch of mechanics to explain it.
Only if you leave out the all important part of Base GURPS. You NEED to include attributes and skills under the "Roll 3d6" descriptor.

> I really, really do not care about its advancement rules at this point because I think familiarization systems are superior to having a bunch of pointless extra skills; which basically only serve to satisfy pedantry.
You. Do. No. Have. To. Use. it's. advancement. rules.

How do you want to treat advancement, do it that way. How many points do you want to give out? Give out that many. Just do what you want the system doesn't get in your way in that respect. It doesn't get in your way for a lot of things.

And why are you so focused on using pedantry to describe GURPS. You are acting like the rules are forced down your throat and they are not. And you're acting like you have to deal with a great minutia of rules in play but in reality you choose what rules you want to follow. This system is only pedantic if you look at the core rule books and misunderstand the intention of that. It's giving you a tool set not a mandate.
>>
>>54528498
5e is good.

My three favorite systems are gurps, 5e, and Unisystem.

Theyre the ones I keep coming back to because they're fun.
>>
File: 1489088069826.jpg (10KB, 127x116px) Image search: [Google]
1489088069826.jpg
10KB, 127x116px
>>54528709
>How do you figure out who goes first with checking the initiative rules? Just because the noob can't see the rules doesn't mean they aren't there. That d6 roll is not 3d6 roll under.
You clearly don't understand what people mean when they boil down a system to its resolution mechanic. It's a simplification to ease new players into the game, because 90% of the game is accomplished with the resolution mechanic for players. I bet you feel really fucking proud of yourself when you say Fate isn't just 4dF, Savage Worlds isn't just dX+d6, BoL isn't just 2d6, DH isn't just d100, etc., but guess what: nobody gives a shit about your pedantic smartassery. Humans are capable of inference. When someone says something like "Oh, it's just 3d6 roll under," fucking obviously it isn't just that you stupid mongoloid. If you said craps was just "roll a 7," that's the gist of it, even though there are more rules than that. When you say go fish is just asking for cards, that's the gist of it, even though there are more rules than that. Literally every game on the planet is explained in this fashion because you're not going to get anybody to play anything if you sit them down and read the manual to them. You read the manual yourself and approach potential players and ease them into it.

What the fuck is wrong with you. How do you not undersand this.
>>
>>54528031
>pedantic detail of every option
When asked about a whackadoo thing that someone wants to model, and it trying to give them the best options.

>Autismal detail with specific wespons have its own unique skill
You mean, *gasp*, a model of reality that feels pretty decent? If you want to handwave it, you can absolutely handwave it with a Bang! skill (normally called a wildcard skill), like "Martial weapons!", which covers all the basic weapons. How you make a wildcard skill is, regrettably, not in the LITE pdf, but it's basically just a skill that groups together a bunch of other ones for ease of play.

>"Strawman"
You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

>[LITE games] only come up when people criticize GURPS.
Probably because a free(!) resource that is easily digestible and has enough for regular ol' human characters and a distilled and elegant (read, "until nothing else can be removed") version of the core mechanics, for which you have some examples of play, is easier to sell people on than the $80 combined basic set. Initiate [s]cultists[/s] GURPSfags will probably already have the Basic Set, and among their own kind, are not pressured to defend the merits of the game. Demonstrating to the unwashed what you can do with the very core rules, though, is testament to the depth of those core rules, and a reminder of how everything else in the game is optional.

3.pf and 5e both have OGL SRDs, but they are both fucking huge and aren't really easily digestible. The GURPS LITE pdf can be printed in its entirety for a little under $5, assuming you pay $.15 a page.

This is not to say that the LITE pdf is perfect. There are a lot of situations it just can't cover in 32 pages, and it contains no advice for a new GM. It is a basic rules document for the curious and for experienced GMs to introduce others.

>Experienced Game Masters will, we hope, find this a valuable tool for introducing new players to the game.
>>
>>54528964
Because there is literally nothing to consider a selling point to GURPS except pedantry. Name me one thing it can do well over say Fate that isn't obsessive detail.
>>
>>54528922
>You didn't run GURPS combat with it.
I did run GURPS combat with those rules. It turned out fairly well and I still don't see what the problem is.
>>
>>54529071
Be a roleplaying game.
>>
>>54528981
Because that's not what they mean. They don't use it as some sort of explanation of its basic mechanics, they use it as a deflection of the common criticism that GURPS is unnecessarily complicated you fucking dipshit.

e.g.
>GURPS is overly complicated and requires unnecessarily beancounting.
>BUT GURPS IS JUST 3D6 A HURPADURPADURR
>>
>>54529071
>Name me one thing it can do well over say Fate that isn't obsessive detail.
Give me a non narrative based generic system. I also run FATE just so you know.

And why do you keep clinging to this notion that gurps requires obsessive details? It's been proven that you can play this as 'thin' as you want with regards to the rules.
>>
>>54529097
It is what they mean. People who bitch about GURPS have never touched GURPS in their life, actually! They need to be talked to like a completely fresh player. Because they know nothing about the system. At all. Watch, I'll prove it with you right now. You can't explain how GURPS is "overly complicated" and "requires unnecessarily beancounting."
>>
>>54528991
Most of 5e's basic set is taken up with monster rules.

>You mean, *gasp*, a model of reality that feels pretty decent?

FUCKING. OVERKEK. Nobody can say concretely what reality is, and can't model it effectively. We've been trying since before fucking Plato and still haven't succeeded. It is not more "pretty decent" than any other game, and a fuckload more pedantic than many.
>>
>>54529118
Do you not pay attention? It doesn't require it, it's just it offers nothing without it and nobody uses it like that because it wasn't designed to function like that.

>>54529127
Arrogance. I own and have read the basic set. I know what I'm fucking talking about. Compared to many other generic RPGs, is it is a fussy, overweening system that offers nothing if you aren't the kind of pedant that feels the need to detail how many ranks in erotic art your character has or some other irrelevant bullshit.
>>
>>54529160
>I own and have read the basic set. I know what I'm fucking talking about.
Could've fooled me.
>>
File: 1485392031068.png (348KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1485392031068.png
348KB, 680x680px
>>54529160
>He can't explain it
Oh, I am laughing right now. Thank you for being such a good sport. This thread's gonna die soon, but if you ever make another one, I'll be there. This shit's too good.
>>
>>54529160
>Do you not pay attention? It doesn't require it, it's just it offers nothing without it and nobody uses it like that because it wasn't designed to function like that.
I'm sorry anon. You asked a question I gave you an answer. FATE sold itself to me with two things. Aspects and Fate points. The latter is nothing special. The former is actually a neat way to model a game world without having to do more than describe it, I.e what a narrative system does.

GURPS however gives me a way to model the world in a simple way with numbers. I could go into "pedantic" detail but I don't personally. You have basic attributes, two important derived attributes (basic speed and move) and than any skills. Enemies literally fill out a single line in my notebook with this method because they are only 6 numbers and at most 5 skills. Easy, simple, and gives me more crunch than fluff.

So as for that one thing you asked me. Both are generic systems but GURPS gives me a non-narrative way to model things. FATE lacks that unless you mod it in and that would then defeat the purpose of the base system.

But you'll just complain that having to use numbers is beancounting or pedantic because your argument is a broken record at this point.
>>
>>54528922
I wouldn't hate them if they weren't the systems hp system, with the system being shit if you don't allow them as hp.
>>
>>54529175
Everyone thinks that of people who bitch about games they like. Nothing new.

>>54529191
Explain what?

>>54529224
Then what does it do over Savage Worlds or BRP?
>>
>>54529225
>I've never actually played SW.

See I can do it too.
>>
Also, GURPS players, admit a fault of GURPS. Something serious, none of this "oh it's TOO good" shit.
>>
File: 1499486461128.png (44KB, 756x734px) Image search: [Google]
1499486461128.png
44KB, 756x734px
>>54529264
>Then what does it do over Savage Worlds or BRP?
No anon you've lost this argument. You asked a question about the merits of the sytem and I answered. I don't think GURPS is perfect but I don't like Savage worlds and BRP is the reason I run CoC or Delta Green with GURPS in the first place. I don't like d100 systems.

You're wrong about the system being pedantic by default and you're grasping at straws to get people to try and admit a fault with a modular ruleset. This has been fun but you're not saying anything new or insightful.
>>
>>54529264
>Everyone thinks that of people who make bold claims with nothing to back them up. Nothing new.
FTFY
>>
File: wat.jpg (50KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
50KB, 640x427px
>>54528242
>D&D built on d20 roll over [opaque GM-set target]
>GURPS built on 3d6 roll under [stat/skill w/ transparent difficulty modifiers]

Basically, yes. You know why I like GURPS better than d20? That bell curve is so fucking sexy, and everything in the game is built from the ground up to support it. Single-die rolls are swingy as fuck, and I barely tolerate them. Everything makes sense in an intuitive way, not even abstracting things. Like, more strength means more meatpoints, intuitive, as opposed to "HP is an abstraction, and always has been, you need to fluff it!"

>Implying 3d6 roll under can't be vast.
You seem to not understand that the rest of the game is an extension of that roll. Seriously, all the skills are just narrative applications of that roll, and all skill defaults, speed/range junk, and other rules are basically just modifiers to that roll. The exceptions are damage and social rolls, which use more or less of the same die.

Also
>tactic to minmax proves point that system discourages character growth in new things
pic related

So, prices of a skill are given relative to baseline. lvl 1 costs 1 point from 0, lvl 2 costs 2 points from zero, lvl 3 costs 4, lvl 4 costs 8, etc. To go from one lvl to the next, you pay the difference. So the first two lvls cost 1 point each, and thereafter, lvls cost 4 points. Having at least 1 lvl in a skill is _always_ better than the default, by a significant margin, like 10-20% greater chance of success margin. Because of the bell curve and roll-under, buying increasing lvls of the same skill gives diminishing returns. It then becomes a choice of spending 4 points to get 1.3% better chance of success, or spending 2 points in two different skills for potentially 20% increased chance of success in each of them, or 1 point in four skills for 10% increased chance of success in each of those, etc.

That's back of the envelope math, the takeaway is diminishing returns. In layman's terms: diversify your skills, nigga!
>>
File: 1493537190677.png (38KB, 363x190px) Image search: [Google]
1493537190677.png
38KB, 363x190px
>>54529264
>Explain what?

>>54529127
>You can't explain how GURPS is "overly complicated" and "requires unnecessarily beancounting."

So you're blind in addition to never having touched GURPS in your life. Wow. I almost feel bad for picking on the disabled. At least you're cute.

>>54529291
>Melee damage is cinematic while armors are realistic. This can cause big problems for low-tech games. Various houserules exist for it.
>Rapid Fire rules are unsatisfying and broken when you get to high RoF weapons (50+), especially against stationary targets (only half hit by RAW). Again, houserules exist.
>Basic Set uses a three-column layout and is horrible for reading. It's a reference book first and last.
>GURPS doesn't do absolute effects ("I am the strongest man forever, I literally cannot be hurt, etc.) because attaching a cost to everything means infinite effects cost infinite points. Nothing doing for this one, really.
>Explosions and fragmentation are annoying and wonky due to how you divide damage with distance and fragmentation doesn't have a real way to scale up to hit at distance, so you wind up with large explosives having fragmentation radii far smaller than they should be realistically. Some forum stuff, nothing great.
>Off-Hand Weapon Training is a technique that costs as much as Ambidexterity, making it useless. Multiple books fix this by making it a perk.
>Techniques have an arbitrary division between Average and Hard when just making Hard one harder would sufficie.
>Lots of skills means attributes are incredibly good purchases. Can be solved by condensing skill list (homebrew). Wildcard skills do not fix this as having two tied to an attribute mean attributes are cheaper.
>Fucking Spaceships. Fucking Ultra-Tech. Fucking Magic.
That enough for you? I might be able to think of more.
>>
>>54529334
Where did I claim it was pedantic by default? I said it offers nothing if you're not interested in pedantic detail, because there are other, lighter systems that run better.

>you lost because I say so

There's nothing to win. This isn't a dialectic, hell it isn't even a debate. Get over yourself. You're here to discuss this game, now either discuss it or accept you couldn't get the last word in.

>>54529379
It aint just a river in egypt friend.

>>54529393
>So you're blind in addition to never having touched GURPS in your life. Wow. I almost feel bad for picking on the disabled. At least you're cute.

Oh that. Simple it makes simple processes (like the familiarization systems common in other RPGs) more complicated than they need to be, and it requires unnecessarily bean counting because its character creation rules require utilizing a dense pointy buy system with a bunch of fiddly modifiers. That's already been explained repeatedly.

>That enough for you? I might be able to think of more.

Sounds pretty shitty. I tease.
>>
File: goalposts.jpg (29KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
goalposts.jpg
29KB, 300x240px
>>54529463
>Those claims I made earlier, I never made those.
>Anyone who disagrees with me is in denial.
>But here, I'm going to make the claims that I claimed to have never claimed earlier.
>Also, the things I claimed to have never claimed, I already explained them earlier, just trust me.
You're just a roller coaster of stupidity aren't you?
>>
>>54529463
>Simple it makes simple processes (like the familiarization systems common in other RPGs) more complicated than they need to be
>Spend 8 hours with a thing to eliminate the penalties is more complicated than it needs to be
What?

>it requires unnecessarily bean counting because its character creation rules require utilizing a dense pointy buy system with a bunch of fiddly modifiers.
I love all of that. Absolutely love it. Just not your game, bro, which is a shame. Pointless Looting & Slaying + Wildcard skills is a pretty fast, lightweight experience that I think many gamers would love. Shame the former's tucked away in Pyramid and the latter isn't in Lite.

>Sounds pretty shitty. I tease.
Most of the issues you have with GURPS are reasons to use it in my eyes. It's a difference of playstyle. You'd be surprised just how fucking heated discussions over "fixing" strength damage can get on the forums. Or the hiking rules. Or guns against bulletproof vests. Or Ultra-Tech discussions because it was a rush job. Ditto with Magic. Spaceships had no playtesting, and the damage is still too high even after errata.

I genuinely can't think of many things seriously wrong with GURPS. The one that really gets to me is melee damage, and that's mostly because houserules aren't easily implemented in character creation software. I would not play GURPS if I didn't have access to GCA or GCS, just because of how tedious doing chargen by hand can be. Automating point-buy is a necessity for any game. I always make spreadsheets for other point-buy games that automatically count how points are spent.
>>
>>54529463
>Where did I claim it was pedantic by default?
You are right, You did not say this.

>I said it offers nothing if you're not interested in pedantic detail
This is false

>because there are other, lighter systems that run better.
There are lighter systems, they don't give me a nice bell curve and simple resolution that isn't narrative based.

>Get over yourself
Please take this to heart yourself. You clearly haven't done anything but get scared off from GURPS by just looking at the basic set. Yet somehow you're comments are supposed to be meaningful to this discussion?

>You're here to discuss this game, now either discuss it or accept you couldn't get the last word in.
I'm here to discuss GURPS. You're hear to complain about bean counting and pedantry because they are the only two words in your vocabulary you can use to describe a system that is more complex than FATE. You ask questions, get answers and then try and ignore them. You're complaining about optional rules in a modular system. You've spent this whole thread being wrong about so many things or misinformed about others. No GURPS isn't a perfect system, but it's not whatever you've tried to describe it as either.
>>
>>54529274
What, make up lies? And how is "you use Bennies to soak" a lie?
>>
>>54529517
Quote me precisely. I never claimed GURPS has to be pedantic by default, but its character creation does require a dense point buy by default, and it does overly complicate simple processes in other games. No goalposts have been moved, you just didn't read clearly because criticism of this game goes straight through one ear and out the other with you, leaving only a distorted strawman.

But if you can quote me exactly I'll spin on a dime.

>>54529548
>Spend 8 hours with a thing to eliminate the penalties is more complicated than it needs to be

Which mechanic is that?
>>
>>54529616
B169:
>In general, if you have the skill to use a piece of equipment, you are considered familiar with a new make or model after you have had eight hours of practice with it. Some skills require more or less practice than this, so be sure to read the skill description.

Unless you meant something else?
>>
>>54529391
>opaque dm set target
Not in 3.x.

Shit has all of the skill dc benchmarks.
>>
File: 1474249028578.jpg (13KB, 280x272px) Image search: [Google]
1474249028578.jpg
13KB, 280x272px
>>54529616
>No goalposts have been moved, you just didn't read clearly
Wew lad
>>
>>54529555
You haven't actually provided a refutation of anything I've said though.

What's a bellcurve by a stable probability? Just about every modern system offers that outside of D&D. It being a bellcurve is just aesthetics.

>This is false

In what way? What does it offer that's special over lighter systems?

>Please take this to heart yourself.

I'm enjoying myself. I didn't get scared off by the basic set, I got bored and didn't see the point in it.

>Yet somehow your comments are supposed to be meaningful to this discussion?

Ask me how much I care. As far as I've seen, it's been standard fanboy "if you don't like it you must be too dumb to get it" wank, which is pretty fucking meaningless.

>I'm here to discuss GURPS.

The general is not here. This is a thread to bitch about the fans and by extension the system.

Because the answers have all been unsatisfactory sanctimonious fanboy shit.

>optional rules in a modular system

All systems are modular. This isn't machine code where it fails if you take something out.

>You've spent this whole thread being wrong about so many things or misinformed about others.

One refutation, point it out.
>>
>>54529633
And this lets you use the slings skill with bows?

>>54529657
Not an argument.
>>
File: 1st place.png (580KB, 1879x1879px) Image search: [Google]
1st place.png
580KB, 1879x1879px
>>54529732
>Not an argument.
You're right, I'm insulting you.

Good job, here's a trophy.
>>
>>54529732
Dunno what you're talking about slings and bows. Slings and bows are not even remotely similar, so they don't default to one another. If you wanted to, you could take Muscle-Powered Missiles! as a wildcard skill and be good at everything from bows to slings to shurikens.
>>
File: define_agency.png (33KB, 529x206px) Image search: [Google]
define_agency.png
33KB, 529x206px
>>54528424
>Dice rolls aren't agency
????

You get a choice of how you handle the situation, instead of being told what happens. That is at the very core of player agency.

>implying requiring the attention of someone playing a character in combat is bad.
You have clearly not been a part of many good GURPS combats. I ran a one-off gladiator sparring game with some neophytes after telling them what stuff on their sheet did, and it ran _fast_, and that was fucking PVP. They were engaged, they had fun, they weren't at the mercy of their static-defense vs the other munckin's roll, and it was super easy to narrate. They were neophytes, truly, so they didn't know all the options available to them; I had them describe what they wanted to do, and I told them what that'd do and what to roll. (It was also run with the LITE rules, hah.)

>A 50% increase to rolls made!
What ever shall we do when we've lost 3 seconds! Also, you missed the part where I said that where it does slow things down it makes up for it in agency, tension, narrative aid. Seriously, keeping the players engaged and tense and letting the story flow during combat is more important to me than that combat has 50% more rolling.

>50 points is the minimum to mimic a SW character that takes half the time to make.
That sounds either like a very gritty/average and not very heroic character, or a character that has no depth of personality. If you give no fucks about flavor and personality and variety, you can absolutely munchkin 50 points into guns (even though that's a stupid fucking build), or whatever else strikes your fancy. It's just more fun with heroic characters, and giving mechanical rewards for roleplaying (because disadvantages force you to do that) is not a bad thing.

>Gatekeeping simulationism.
wut. Also, I'm pretty sure there's some obscure optional rule that lets you do that. Do you want it realistic, playable, or a little of both? I like a nice balance of both.
>>
>>54529792
Oh. Ok, Context is needed. We were talking about this in the context of systems with very simple skill lists that cover it as just shooting or the like, which typically have familiarization mechanics to avoid things like the Red Archer being a master pistolero.

>Wildcard skills

Yes, they're an option, but the question is what GURPS offers if you never plan to use it beyond the level of abstraction.
>>
>>54529705
Look anon. I get that you want to just rag on GURPS. You got scared off, it happened to me back when my friend got me into the system with 3e. But it's not some mess that requires a degree to run. You just have to understand two things.

>Pick what rules you want to use
and
>THe system is really 3d6 roll under vs attribute/skill

There. Now what is your problem with GURPS? Other people have articulated it and you've parroted them but what made you think the system is boring?

>All systems are modular
True, but some systems are married to their various mechanics more than others.

>One refutation, point it out.
You were wrong about the system making simple processes more complicated. Combat runs like this

-Roll to hit
-Check defense
-calculate damage

No more complicated than other systems.

Now if you WANT to make it more complicated you can but it's not the default and doesn't crop up until you get to the rules not even listed in the base combat rules.
>>
>>54529797
>You get a choice of how you handle the situation, instead of being told what happens. That is at the very core of player agency.

The choice is "this dice roll versus that dice roll, which are functionally the same, just different numbers."

Having the players paying attention is a good thing, requiring that they go "oh um, let me check my roll for defense" after you've rolled attack and damage, and the GM to do likewise when they attack the enemies is not a good thing, especially if you're running a large combat.

It's more like 5-10 and that's per attack. Large combats bog down in active defense systems.

That was just a rough guess at the minimum. An SW Wildcard would probably take more to do well.

I'm just saying, HP aint simulation.
>>
>>54522140
Then you're not looking at how the core mechanics work. Flat distribution, bell curves, and dice pools all inherently suit different styles of play.
>>
>>54529866
Don't fucking talk down to me. GURPS is complicated, not hard.

>True, but some systems are married to their various mechanics more than others.

Unless it's 3.5 or Burning Wheel you can probably chop out mechanics of system.

>You were wrong about the system making simple processes more complicated. Combat runs like this

There was a specific process I was talking about. This being the process of mr. sling up there learning to use a bow. In a system with "shooting" as the default skill, you just do a montage and learn to use it. In GURPS this requires the acquisition of a new skill.

>Wildcard skills

Seem to be a rarely used variant. Even the much touted Dungeon Fantasy doesn't use them IIRC.
>>
File: 1491504845686.gif (1MB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
1491504845686.gif
1MB, 195x229px
>GURPS praise still triggering people

>431 posts of autistic screeching later
>>
>>54529917
I'm haviing fun.

Also it triggers people because GURPS fans are excessively pushy. They're like DW fans in this regard, only instead of just pushing it in D&D threads, they do it in just about every kind of thread.
>>
>>54529917
As I mentioned here >>54525325 GURPS is just really good as a sperg detector.
>>
>>54529825
I mean, bows and slings are just too fucking dissimilar to justify grouping outside of a wildcard skill. I could buy combining a bow and crossbow even though the two aren't all that similar because it fits a "bow" theme, just making it harder than either the Bow or Crossbow skill and call it Archery, but if you want a Shooting! skill that covers bows, blowguns, slings, atlatls, and throwing axes, you're not gonna be able to do it outside of a wildcard skill. I'm not sure what you're asking for.
>>
>>54529955
You're an arsehole, and that stuff has already been covered upthread by people not willing to drop to your level in this shit-flinging match. I know you know this, because I know you've been around for the majority of the thread at this point.

It's fine that you enjoy arguing just to argue and stick around in this trash thread to do so, but you're the pushy dipshit here. Just so you're aware.
>>
>>54529977
I'm not asking for anything. I'm just pointing out that there are games that simplify it acceptably, and if you don't care about some writer's own faulty notions of realism, they'll work just fine.
>>
File: plato_couldn't_model_reality.gif (208KB, 504x2948px) Image search: [Google]
plato_couldn't_model_reality.gif
208KB, 504x2948px
>>54529134
Now you're just baiting with PHI 101 junk. y tho.

>Not more "pretty decent" than any other game, etc
Something to which I can actually respond. Read my lips: https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
>>
>>54529916
>Don't fucking talk down to me.
I want too but you're acting like you're retarded.

>you can probably chop out mechanics of system.
Sure you probably can. I don't see many options to do so and D20 as a base system is still a fairly bloated thing to hand someone as just a skeleton. GURPS not so much.

>In GURPS this requires the acquisition of a new skill.
Because slings and bows are different. Doesn't Dungeon and Dragons separate short swords and broad swords? Because they are two different types of weapon disciplines. You really have only played FATE or something similar haven't you? Where all things are utterly generic and broad in phrasing right?
>>
>>54529986
Never claimed otherwise.

But I haven't actually been pushing for anyone to do anything beyond be honest about the game.
>>
>>54529999
Nice quads. Yeah, you can simplify it if you want. I think 3d6 is reason enough to use GURPS without all of the hard crunch, and I'd be fine in a game that didn't distinguish between being skilled with a sling with being skilled with a bow. But I like them being mechanically distinct. I like that slings are different from bows. I'll also say that slings and bows, as they are in GURPS, aren't actually realistic. To start with, a sling shouldn't be doing piercing damage. It is not a high-speed projectile like a bullet, it should not be able to burrow into you and hit the heart, liver, etc., it should do crushing damage. Bows, likewise, are ridiculously capable of penetrating mail, plate, etc., but that ties back to cinematic strength against realistic armor.

GURPS is still a game. There are many concessions made for the sake of playability. It just uses reality as a baseline, instead of whatever other systems use.
>>
>>54530013
I'm not baiting. Realism in RPGs is a pipe dream. It's distorted by so many layers. No person knows the thing in itself, and the thing in itself has been distorted through so many layers of researchers and authors by the time it reaches the game authors as to not even be worth the attempt.

>>54530014
>I want too but you're acting like you're retarded.

Not liking GURPS does not require being retarded.

>I don't see many options to do so and D20 as a base system is still a fairly bloated thing to hand someone as just a skeleton.

Searchers of the Unknown does it in about a page.

>Because slings and bows are different. Doesn't Dungeon and Dragons separate short swords and broad swords? Because they are two different types of weapon disciplines. You really have only played FATE or something similar haven't you? Where all things are utterly generic and broad in phrasing right?

They fall under the basic, broad weapon proficiencies most classes get, and use the same attack bonuses regardless rather than having their own skill tracks to follow.
>>
>>54530057
>Bows, likewise, are ridiculously capable of penetrating mail, plate, etc.

Ahah! Not to rag on you for the sake of being pedantic, but here we get to the other problem of "realistic" RPGs, which is player realism. Tests with english longbows and plates have shown they weren't very good at penetrating plate. But chances are someone with that notion probably did try to model this view of reality.
>>
>>54530022
And again, many people upthread have been perfectly honest about the reality of GURPS' flaws. Are you just trying to bludgeon the remaining vocal minority into admitting the system has weaknesses? Because it doesn't appear that anyone is denying that there are weaknesses and flaws in the system, or bits that people might just flat-out not enjoy or would see as unnecessary. The only thing that appears to be happening is that people are denying that your opinions are equivalent to objective value statements, which is what I've seen you allude to and occasionally outright state. Which kind of removes your moral high ground as far as the 'pursuit of honesty' goes.

Now if you were just trying to get a rise out of people, that's fine too, but then you're not discussing your intentions honestly. Which also removes you from the moral high ground.

So I guess now I'm asking for some honesty from you. Own up to your shit-talking and the fact that you just don't like the game. It's fine, and you can feel free to continue to do so, but stop pretending you're pursuing any kind of rational discourse at this point. You flopped that hand a ways up.
>>
>>54530063
>Not liking GURPS does not require being retarded.
Having bad arguments and using at best two words to describe your dislike for the system. And having to ask others to better explain your problems does though.

>>54530063
>Searchers of the Unknown
Isn't this a distilled version of OD&D? The already rules lite version of what would become the bloated d20 system? Nice way to prove my point. Give me a rules-lite version of the recent D20 system? I'll wait.

>They fall under the basic, broad weapon proficiencies most classes get, and use the same attack bonuses regardless rather than having their own skill tracks to follow.
Still separated by weight class right? Still separated by one hand and two hand proficiency right? Sounds like a certain system we've been talking about if you ask me.

What makes GURPS pedantic moresoe than 5e?
>>
>>54530094
In the realm of low-tech realism, arms and armor are a contentious subject. The Low-Tech playtest with Dan Howard (an australian, which should tell you everything you need to know) had a lot of arguing about rules and implementations and such. They settled on including Edge Protection, which is a rule that you need to do over twice the armor's DR in order to get your cutting wounding modifier. It's crushing otherwise. It's a decent rule, as long as you use realistic DR values (light plate would never be used as chest armor). It doesn't apply to bows, but bows can be fixed with Strength rescaling or using realistic damage values from The Deadly Spring.

The GURPS team is made up of astrophysicists, materials engineers, etc., so they're pretty good at getting reality right. The issue is when there's a lack of data, or mostly only unreliable data. They certainly do a hell of a lot better than other games when it comes to realism.

Melee damage is a holdover from the first real supplement for GURPS, Man to Man, a combat system. It works well enough and they never bothered to change it. It's not realistic to begin with. You can fix it by lowering swing damage by 2 from its table value, which is good enough... except that's not an option in stuff like GCS. It is in GCA, but I hate its interface and sheet formatting.
>>
>>54530105
The first mention of the word "objective" comes from your post friend. I didn't preface my posts with "my opinion" or "I think" or whatever other pointless addendum because it should be obvious. I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone, I got frustrated because people tend to misrepresent the system. Maybe it doesn't have to be used to obsessive detail, but it certainly doesn't function very well as just the Lite game.

>>54530135
>Bad arguments

So far that seems to be "arguments that GURPS fans disagree with."

I never asked anyone to explain my arguments. I just asked GURPS players to own up to some flaws of the system because I was developing the creeping suspicion I was dealing with fanatical fanboys.

>Isn't this a distilled version of OD&D? The already rules lite version of what would become the bloated d20 system? Nice way to prove my point. Give me a rules-lite version of the recent D20 system? I'll wait.

It's as much the basic D20 Mechanic as "3d6 roll under" is GURPS. A better example might be microlite 20, but it relies on pages of spell effects from the SRD.

>Still separated by weight class right? Still separated by one hand and two hand proficiency right? Sounds like a certain system we've been talking about if you ask me.

But not requiring you to track +1, +2, +3, etc. to each skill to be good with both.

>What makes GURPS pedantic moresoe than 5e?

Honestly, nothing particularly. 5e is just better at grouping shit together from the get go.
>>
>>54530178
>They certainly do a hell of a lot better than other games when it comes to realism.

If there's any level of abstraction or bias, no they don't.
>>
>>54530220
>If there's any level of abstraction or bias, no they don't.
So you say GURPS and Pathfinder are both equally terrible at representing guns realistically?
>>
>>54530220
And before anyone gets up my ass about it: that's an opinion. If analytic philosophers which included groundbreaking mathematicians and physicists can't model reality, game designers looking to make something playable that suits their tastes sure as hell can't.
>>
>>54530241
I suppose you do have me there. I can't say that with a straight face.
>>
File: your_argument.png (3KB, 326x320px) Image search: [Google]
your_argument.png
3KB, 326x320px
>>54530201
>>
>>54530201
>I never asked anyone to explain my arguments.
No but people asked you to explain yours and you have so far failed too.

>I just asked GURPS players to own up to some flaws of the system because I was developing the creeping suspicion I was dealing with fanatical fanboys.
So far every GURPS player has owned up to their own ideas on what flaws the system has. What fanboys exist here?

>but it relies on pages of spell effects from the SRD.

There's that phrase again. Why can't you divorce modern D20 from the SRD?

>But not requiring you to track +1, +2, +3, etc. to each skill to be good with both.
Oh no, you have to track your individual weapons proficiency. If only a generic skill existed for some weapon types...oh wait. Maybe some sort of Cinematic ruleset? Hell you can even just make computer hacking a skill by itself instead of needing them to take software engineering, mathematics, computer operation, etc.

Once again you're problem is that you didn't either read the Basic set, or misunderstood the fidelity you have control over.
>>
>>54530022
>Honest
Sure: it's a pretty good game, that is good for a lot of stuff.

And unlike Unisystem and BRP, it has good rules for designing superpowers.
>>
>>54530264
>No but people asked you to explain yours and you have so far failed too.

I have explained it repeatedly. It's more complicated than comparable options unless you intentionally pare it down, and then it flounders compared to systems designed for rules light functioning, since it's a simulationist system meant for heavy crunch (no, simulationist does not necessarily mean realistic).

>There's that phrase again. Why can't you divorce modern D20 from the SRD?

Because they didn't want to write up the spell effects a second time? There's a version of the game that further simplifies the effects.

>Oh no, you have to track your individual weapons proficiency. If only a generic skill existed for some weapon types...oh wait. Maybe some sort of Cinematic ruleset? Hell you can even just make computer hacking a skill by itself instead of needing them to take software engineering, mathematics, computer operation, etc.

You mean a rarely used variant that doesn't even get used in the much touted Dungeon Fantasy supplement that's supposed to replace D&D?

>Once again you're problem is that you didn't either read the Basic set, or misunderstood the fidelity you have control over.

I know damn well what I have control over, but I can also see the writing on the wall well enough to know what the intended usage of the system is; it's the one that gets used in most of the supplements when they bother to stat things up.
>>
>>54529870
>Choice is between two different die rolls
There's also strategy involved. IIRC, you can dodge multiple attacks in one set of turns at increasing difficulty, by default you can only parry one attack, and I think you can block any attacks in the direction of your shield. Most players won't encounter this unless they're in a very unusual situation.

One could also dive to the ground, backpedal, make an acrobatic dodge, take a bullet for someone, etc.

Their choice has a mechanical effect besides which number they compare, and the narrative effect is not to be ignored.

>"oh um, let me check..." If a player is doing this, something is wrong. Probably a bad GM or a bad player. Same kind of player who is not thinking ahead or not engaged, and when their turn arrives blurts "Oh, um, let me check my Basic Attack Bonus + Str + MW weapon bonus". Active defenses are good for player engagement, and player engagement is good for the game.

>GM to to likewise when player attacks enemies.
Basic Set actively discourages this with the exception of enemies who matter or have some real personalities. They basically all say "let the mooks die if the player can even hit them."

>more like 5-10 per attack. Large combats bog down in active defense systems.
What even? wtf is that first sentence? Is it the number of rolls per attack? If so: certainly not. Large combats bog down in any system. 50% more rolls notwithstanding.

It is my opinion that GURPS combat is more fun, engaging, strategic, and easier to narrate than most combat systems from games of similar scope, and certainly more fun than games with static defense like D&D, where the armor and AC make no fucking sense.
>>
>>54530313
>You mean a rarely used variant that doesn't even get used in the much touted Dungeon Fantasy supplement that's supposed to replace D&D?
Yes it does you fucking retard. DF1:18. Full list for all classes.
>>
>>54530318
>What even? wtf is that first sentence? Is it the number of rolls per attack? If so: certainly not. Large combats bog down in any system. 50% more rolls notwithstanding.

seconds.
>>
>>54530201
>The first mention of the word "objective" comes from your post friend. I didn't preface my posts with "my opinion" or "I think" or whatever other pointless addendum because it should be obvious. I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone, I got frustrated because people tend to misrepresent the system.
Fantastic news. So why are you still here, then? Just to argue? Hence the honesty I was asking for.

>I never asked anyone to explain my arguments. I just asked GURPS players to own up to some flaws of the system because I was developing the creeping suspicion I was dealing with fanatical fanboys.
Not even that guy, but plenty of people have owned up to flaws. Including some of my own replies to you further up the thread. So why are you still here?

>fanatical fanboys
In one of my replies I even told you that you had a few good points with weaknesses in the GURPS skill system, especially as it pertains to gameplay efficiency from a specific perspective. You never responded to that validation. You actually glided right past my comment and continued to argue with other people, completely ignoring the honest feedback you've said you were here for.

So again, where's that honesty from you? Is your frustration really driving you to argue with people for no other reason than you just want to argue with people? It's not to draw out honesty. You've already gotten that. Hell, you have it currently from the people still courteous enough to provide you with serious replies.

So. Please. Say it, flat-out, why you're here. I'd love to hear something like "I don't like GURPS and it agitates me to hear people talk about it in a positive light, so I'm still here poking the bees nest because it entertains me even in spite of all the rational voices who have already shared their time with me through actually thoughtful and honest responses." It would be nice to receive some validation over this, purely for my own gratification. If not, I'll understand.
>>
>>54530313
>but I can also see the writing on the wall well enough to know what the intended usage of the system is
Whatever the GM wants to use? That's the only writing on the wall most people see.

>It's more complicated than comparable options unless you intentionally pare it down
You're the one asking me to cmpare GURPS to BRP. Are you kidding me?

>and then it flounders compared to systems designed for rules light functioning, since it's a simulationist system meant for heavy crunch (no, simulationist does not necessarily mean realistic).
So GURPS fails next to rules light systems because you say so? I guess that's a small price to pay and I do want them to go back and revise the GURPS lite rules because the idea is there, but a few other pages would be needed.

Heavy crunch is again optional and subjective. "Heavy" is not much more than basic arithmetic. And once again you are ignoring the cinematic rules which removes the reliance on heavy simulation-ism.
>>
>>54530353
So why are you still here, then?

For the fun of it. Why are you?

>Not even that guy, but plenty of people have owned up to flaws. Including some of my own replies to you further up the thread. So why are you still here?

I think I saw one guy.

>In one of my replies I even told you that you had a few good points with weaknesses in the GURPS skill system, especially as it pertains to gameplay efficiency from a specific perspective. You never responded to that validation. You actually glided right past my comment and continued to argue with other people, completely ignoring the honest feedback you've said you were here for.

Where was that?

I'm here to argue because I enjoy the discussion. Even if I'm making an idiot of myself, it allows me to refine my own perspective. Though at this point I think I'm just in too deep and have made something of an idiot of myself.

>Hell, you have it currently from the people still courteous enough to provide you with serious replies.

Oh don't give me that sanctimonious horse crap. You're just as much shitstorming as I am.
>>
>>54530398
>You're just as much shitstorming as I am.
That would imply they are shitposting and not just you.
>>
>>54530398
>You're just as much shitstorming as I am.
Coming from a shitposter, this is fucking nippon steel layers of irony we're dealing with here.
>>
>>54530420
Having a dissenting opinion is not shitposting. Good god. The only posts I would describe as shitposts are when I lost my patience, and I am actually sorry about that.

Assume I'm an idiot, but don't assume I'm just here to stir up shit.
>>
>>54530453
>but don't assume I'm just here to stir up shit.
I have to assume you're here to do just that since it's been proven that you're not even honest about "dealing with fanatic fanboys". You just want to rag about GURPS and ignore any comments that are inconvenient to that point.

>Having a dissenting opinion is not shitposting.
Oh spare me your attempts to play at being a victim here.
>>
>>54530477
Or frustration has skewed my perspective. Because I assure you I haven't intentionally skimmed over anything. I don't remember you agreeing with me, and I remember one guy mentioned some flaws to GURPS when I asked him.

While I do enjoy the discussion, I'm not going to lie that it's been quite frustrating for me. Frankly at this point, I think I may just be an idiot.
>>
>>54530453
>Having a dissenting opinion is not shitposting.
Read >>54530398
>I'm here to argue
Now, if you were here for an actual discussion like you claimed, you'd be able to spout an actual point beyond "muh bean counting" and "muh pedantry," especially since you supposedly own and read the book.

Instead, you repeat the same phrase over and over again, ignore any logical point that your opponents have made, in favor of focusing on points that are easier for you to argue against, claim that you never made the points people are finding fault in, and are generally just acting like a caustic faggot who hasn't even read the book.

Next time you want to have a discussion, maybe tone down the retard and actually have more than two points to make, mm'kay?
>>
File: 1481679799634.jpg (144KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481679799634.jpg
144KB, 800x1200px
>>54530506
>Frankly at this point, I think I may just be an idiot.
>may just be an idiot
>may
You were just here to troll and didn't expect people to keep their composure weren't you?
>>
File: 1470331062451.jpg (213KB, 1192x830px) Image search: [Google]
1470331062451.jpg
213KB, 1192x830px
>page 10
>470 replies
>50 unique IPs
I'm sad to see it go. This was fun.
>>
>>54530573
>tfw you've just been lurking since it was posted because /gurpsgen/ hasnt come back yet
should we make a continuation of this?
>>
>>54530612

>>54530243 Hijack this thread. Nobody's using it.
>>
>>54530542
>I'm here to argue because I enjoy the discussion

Don't quote me out of context please. You want to talk about shitposting, that's a big one.

Nobody actually provided a response to those points, because they're a matter of personal preference. It is an objective fact that GURPS character creation is more involved than many other games, and requires a lot more math than many others games.

>ignoring any logical points

For the most part they asserted their own tastes over and over.

No, you just assume that I haven't read the book.

>Next time you want to have a discussion, maybe tone down the retard and actually have more than two points to make, mm'kay?

Or take a page out of your own book and learn that your own tastes aren't objective value statements either.

>>54530553
No, I assure you I'm just an idiot.
>>
>>54530573
Aye. That was equal parts entertaining and frustrating. Couldn't help but laugh at a lot of the nonsense.
>>
>>54530612
I'm the colossal idiot, and I wont be joining in. So unless you can find another, it wont be as magical.
>>
>>54530638
Ganbatte, dummy-chan! Even if you are an idiot, I still enjoyed prattling on about GURPS all the same. I can never get enough.
>>
If my books weren't in storage I would have had some better points to make regarding the system. Fuck me I should drag them out into the light and get a game going.
>>
>>54530623
>Don't quote me out of context please.
I'm just focusing on the parts that actually has some truth to them.

In case you don't know, a discussion involves two sides and feedback to what the other person is saying. Plugging your ears and spouting the same words over and over again like a pokemon is not what we'd call a "conversation.
>No, you just assume that I haven't read the book.
I'm not assuming, I know you haven't read the book, otherwise you'd have more than two points to make.
>Or take a page out of your own book and learn that your own tastes aren't objective value statements either.
Oh, so this is about taste now? Because you sure have been shitposting alot over "muh opinion."
>>
>>54530638
We all know you'll be in the next thread spouting bullshit.
>>
>>54530651
>>54530651
I dunno, I had fun, I think. For what it's worth, I'm giving thought to retrying GURPS.

Also, one thing that did annoy me about GURPS: the core books fell apart long before any of my D&D books. It's not a mark against the system, and I'm not sure if it was typical of the company's products, but I was annoyed.

>>54530689
Oh lighten up. It's a discussion about a game. I'm tired, it's been a long day, and for what it's worth I do feel like a total moron and jackass.
>>
>>54530679
It's been a long time since I read them. I recall not liking the autofire rules, and finding it difficult to make a zombie that could only be brought down with head shots.

Just because I didn't preface each post with a little "I think" or "in my opinion" doesn't mean it shouldn't be obvious. Do you actually think objective discussion about games is possible when you're not just comparing math?
>>
>>54530713
>It's a discussion
No, it was shitposting. Don't pretend you were genuinely trying to get some good points out there.

I'm sure most of the posts ITT are from you, going on about "muh pedantry" and "muh bean counting."

We'll see you in the next thread for your "discussion" though.
>>
File: GURPS books + GM screen.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS books + GM screen.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>54530713
>Also, one thing that did annoy me about GURPS: the core books fell apart long before any of my D&D books
Yes. The first (several?) printings are notoriously poorly bound; mine fell apart too.

The later ones I purchased held up better, but they're still *not* acceptable for long-term handling and use.
>>
>>54530737
>No, it was shitposting.

Are you seriously that fucking assdamaged because someone had not nice things to say about a game?
>>
>>54530740
Oh, but to be fair, SJgames replaced all of my damaged/defective books completely for free. As far as I know it was an open offer to anyone with that specific print run range (listed on the book somewhere), but it's been so long I'm not sure if they'll still honor it.

Wouldn't hurt to ask if you're planning on keeping the books though.
>>
>>54530734
>It's been a long time since I read them.
Not an excuse, especially when you claim to have read the book and know what you were talking about.

Obviously, that's not the case, but it doesn't matter since you were only here for (you)'s anyway.
>>
>>54530740
>Martial Arts
>Powers
>Low- and High-Tech
>Mysteries
Color me lime because I am fucking jelly. I don't even play IRL, I would just love to have those. If only I had the money for POD.
>>
>>54530740
>The first (several?) printings are notoriously poorly bound; mine fell apart too.
I thought that was just because I bought my books in Hawaii and they had been in a more humid climate. I have a 1st/2nd printing and both are held together with tape now.

>>54530746
Are you still tying to act like you were holding a valid dissenting opinion.
>>
>>54530746
Nothing you said had any merit, yet you're still claiming to have had a valid point, even though you've admitted to being a retard.

Whatever man, see you in the next thread. Read up on your shit next time, maybe you'll learn something (but I doubt it).
>>
>>54530766
>Are you still tying to act like you were holding a valid dissenting opinion.

What's invalid about my opinion?
>>
>>54530746
The claims were mostly devoid of backing, Tobe fair. That's shit posting.

Though I could go for seeing more settings built out in gurps. Gurps forgotten realms could be pretty good.
>>
>>54530764
Those aren't even all my books; I've also got Horrors, Monsters, Dragons and a few others around somewhere. I mostly use PDFs via tablet now, though.

>>54530766
The humidity *does* have a pretty significant effect, apparently the glue is part of the issue. The ink and laminate used on the pages of the older print runs does not hold up great to it either.
Haven't had problems like that with the newer books/runs (replacements included), but it doesn't excuse the earlier ones. SJgames has been very proactive about replacing peoples merchandise though; for all they do wrong from a marketing and sales perspective, they are great at customer service and acting on feedback.
>>
>>54530780
Retards can have valid opinions. I didn't say I was retarded for my opinion, I said I was retarded because I kept this stupid discussion going. I am not going to the next thread.
>>
>>54530782
Besides the fact that you've admitted to having skewed perspectives and to being an idiot?
>>
>>54530764
You can't get powers PoD. I wish you could. I don't want to pay $400 for it.
>>
File: 1376692384780.jpg (40KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1376692384780.jpg
40KB, 800x804px
>>54530792
>Retards can have valid opinions.
>>
>>54530802
Neither of which make the opinion invalid. The opinion stands on its own merits, not mine.
>>
>>54530787
GURPS has quite a few settings. Most of 3e is just settings books, even if they are realistic ones. You got stuff like Car Wars, Reign of Steel, Mars Attacks, Banestorm, Discworld, Vorkasigan (?) Saga, Age of Gold, Lands Out of Time, Technomancer, Transhuman Space, Infinite Worlds, etc.

It just isn't used. SJGames produces dick squat for any of it, no adventures, no setting expansions (at least not anymore), nothing. It's not visible. It's not ready to go (at least not anymore).

>>54530789
>Horror
Excellent library, would game with. Is Dragons all weird and 3e for you, too? It seems like they didn't update the templates and shit.
>>
>>54530820
see >>54530817
>>
>>54530829
>Is Dragons all weird and 3e for you, too? It seems like they didn't update the templates and shit.
Yes, it's a 3e book, but they actually put 4th edition versions of every single stat block from the book in the Appendix towards the back of the book.
It's the only split edition book I know of like that.
>>
>>54530832
Alright. But you still have to accept you can't substantiate your claims of shitposting.
>>
>>54530836
Huh, okay. Weird, but I'll take it. I never really sat down and read through it, just wanted to nick templates from it. Thanks!

>>54530810
I was fucking mortified that their first run was MAGIC and ULTRA-TECH. Jesus christ. What were they thinking? Who wants those?
>>
File: 1437641347673.jpg (51KB, 555x344px) Image search: [Google]
1437641347673.jpg
51KB, 555x344px
>>54530841
>Shitposter accusing others of shitposting.
>>
>>54530810
Buy the pdf and print it with a site like lulu. Not an official SJGames hardcover, but if they can't make it available...
>>
>>54530855
I didn't accuse you of shitposting. Stop putting words in my mouth dammit.You have been doing this relentlessly, misrepresenting me, and making claims I never made, which you were never able to point out.
Thread posts: 506
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.