[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art icle/yvwnpx/dragons-in-t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 20

File: DandD_nodice.jpg (146KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
DandD_nodice.jpg
146KB, 1600x900px
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/yvwnpx/dragons-in-the-department-of-corrections

This interests me. Because I'm genuinely curious what D&D is like in a circumstance like that. Anyone got any stories similar?
>>
>>54505746
I have a buddy that's spent six years in prison. He said that there were three different occasions where he actually had an ongoing campaign. Each time, guards would apparently be okay with the campaign, but weeks or months into it, one of them would have a bad day and come throw all of their shit away.

He said that they played using chits made from strips of paper and used golf pencils. If I remember correctly, he said that they pretty much had 6 hours a day to play as a group, and that's basically all they would do for days on end. He also said that they made a homebrew system because not everyone was allowed access to purchasing or even sharing their own books. He said it felt more like a wargame than an RPG most of the time, because a player would eventually control a faction and another would face him, and they'd draw out the battle on paper.

I wish I could have seen what sort of crazy homebrew shit they came up with.
>>
>>54505746
>black guy isn't a rouge
Fake and gay.
>>
Dude, how many more threads can you possibly make? Are you about to imprison some people and force them to play dnd?
>>
>>54506031
Wait, someone else made other threads on this? I wasn't aware. I haven't actually posted on /tg/ in months. Haven't had much reason to, been in a creative rut and fell out of my old group. Thought this was an interesting topic that some people might have stories to share about.
>>
>>54506065
>Wait, someone else made other threads on this?
>deja vu.meh
Also starting to worry because there have been a surprising upraise in the number of lewd game posts. Something you want to tell us before the cops catch on, op?
>>
>>54505746
Fuck, why are American prisons staffed by sadistic idiots? "Hurr, dice promote gambling" - you can gamble over fistfights or fucking rock-paper-scissors if you so wish.
>>
File: 1415956915856.jpg (31KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1415956915856.jpg
31KB, 292x257px
>>54505746
>With each interruption, Bey became increasingly irate until one day, he couldn't take it anymore. "I told you to quit messing with us while we're playing our game," he screamed as he jabbed his pencil into the bully's thigh multiple times.
>Prison officials sent Bey to solitary confinement, where he convinced the inmates in neighboring cells to play a game with him by yelling through the ventilation shafts.
That is some major fucking dedication.
>>
Read this firsthand account of what D&D is like in prison (by a guy who, at the time of writing, was still in prison). It's an entertaining article.

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/16/i-am-fully-capable-of-entertaining-myself-in-prison-for-decades-if-need-be/

There's also a bunch of miscellaneous fluff about his crime and the circumstances surrounding it, feel free to skip that although I found it interesting.
>>
>>54506016
You said it yourself, he's not rouge, he's black.
>>
File: 1496873936247.jpg (25KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
1496873936247.jpg
25KB, 720x340px
>>54506244
>by yelling through the ventilation shafts
If only I had players like this
>>
>>54505746
i have a story like that, but it was at a normal person home
>live in the great state of texas
>find a group doing 5e near me just switched over a few years ago
>exchange information everything seems fine
>i bring a blank character sheet with half-elf racial filled in
>guy said he had some homebrew classes for me to use he was insane about his stuff
>said he "balanced" the phb whatever that means
>lets call him c0re for now
>c0re is the dm and his wife is apparently some sort of chef
>got her diploma at cordon blue in texas or something
>frenchcookingintexas.jpg
>everything is fine at first but then we all hear this screeching
>im the only one freaked out and he just sighs and gets up from the table
>one of the players tell me has a daughter that has a few mental imbalances
>oh makes sense sure
>well he comes back after the screeching stops and we get almost through the session
>as were rping leaving theres this loud plopping smell
>i suddenly smell shit
>i look over and theres a toddler with shit in her hand grinning
>a guy starts cursing and i look over
>shit all over his shirt and phb and sheets
>the dm just sighs and takes his kid to the bathroom
>the guy tosses his shit and starts yelling
>the others take their leave quietly
>i have no idea what to do until his wife comes over
>she sends me home with some leftover breadsticks with cheese and herbs that were so fucking good
>i never respond to any of his texts again
>miss his wifes cooking though
>>
>>54506657
>Never responded to any of his texts
You could've at least been an adult about it and told him you weren't comfortable being in the group.
>>
File: 1492905648908.jpg (48KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
1492905648908.jpg
48KB, 526x701px
>>54505746
That picture almost made me tear-up.
>We're in a shithole, but we don't have to be.
>We can be knights, wizards, swashbucklers and alchemists.
>And in the game no one has to think we're shit, we can be heroes.
>>
From what I've previously read about this It seems like the popularity of D&D in prisons is a myth that stems back to couple of amateur blog posts, then every couple of months another overly liberal website expands on the story quoting friends of friends of friends.
>>
>>54507119
Um... the article has actual interviews from guards and prisoners?
Not sure what your trying to argue m8
>>
>>54507178
To be fair... It's fucking Vice.
>>
>>54507328
Well, they don't usually outright make shit up. They have no problem slanting things, offering opinions as fact, failing to mention important details, failing to do any fucking research before they write, and generally being awful. But they don't tend to just fabricate stories.
>>
>>54506016
Everyone in that group is a rogue.
>>
>>54508017
>But they don't tend to just fabricate stories.
A bunch of their documentaries turned out to be at least partially staged. That being said I don't really know or care if they manufactured this story.
>>
>>54506218
Americans don't believe in rehabilitation
>>
>>54509523
I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me
>>
>>54508017
That was exactly the point that anon was trying to make wasn't it? I don't think they're trying to say that it NEVER happens, just that maybe 1 in a thousand prisons have a gaming group in it
>>
>>54506218
Pretty much because the people who are in prison are still low life scum
>>
Hey /tg/, where do undead criminals go?

The ghoulag.
>>
File: 1491450816763.jpg (50KB, 564x663px) Image search: [Google]
1491450816763.jpg
50KB, 564x663px
>>54505746
I have zero credentials in the field of psychology and I'm only armchairing here, but perhaps it's a good idea to let inmates play D&D and other TTRPGs? I know not all hardened criminals are the same, but if we talk about the "redeemable" ones then they often either have problems with agression or problems with empathizing with others, both of which could be adressed in a playful manner through roleplaying. They are expected to assume the role of an entirely different person with potentially an entirely different personality, they have to think about what that other person would do or say and would have to consider and live with the consequences of their actions.

Considering that those in *correctional* facilities are also expected to re-enter society at some point, and considering that exclusive contact with other inmates probably doesn't serve that purpose well, perhaps they could even organize game nights where non-inmates that are looking for a group could join? For the safety of the visitors the inmates may have to be restrained in some way or another, but it would allow them to meet people from outside of prison, "normal" people, and play with them, have a chat, talk about what's going on outside et cetera. In the best cases, this might also mean that the inmates already have a new network of friends and associates from outside of the criminal circuit once they leave prison (meaning their chances of recidivizing are statistically lower).

Why isn't this a thing already? There must be something obvious I'm overlooking (other than the risk to the visitors).
>>
>>54516174
US prisons don't actually care about rehabilitation, for a couple of reasons. First, even though the system is theoretically secular, America is still steeped in the cultural legacy of its puritan founders, and punishing sinners is a huge part of that cultural baggage even in the secular parts of society.

Second, American prisons are a business, and one which requires the existence of criminals. While an ordinary person might be overjoyed if crime actually stopped, the people in the prison industry would be out of their jobs-- their very lucrative jobs, for the executives on the corporate side.
>>
>>54516174
I work as a CO in a smallish prison. RP games are fairly popular. The issue with a game night like you are describing are the visitors, not the inmates. In the few years I've worked there I have caught half a dozen people trying to bring in drugs, lighters, tobacco, etc. In low custody prisons, inmates are fairly well behaved (otherwise the wouldn't be there) I could see a volunteer or two coming in to run a game. Getting approval for something like that might be difficult. You would have to show that the benefits outweigh the risk to the visitors, inmates, and the security of the facility.
>>
>>54506218
Because Americans hate criminals and want them to suffer.
>>
File: wizard arrest.jpg (366KB, 900x971px) Image search: [Google]
wizard arrest.jpg
366KB, 900x971px
>>54506244
>Prison officials sent Bey to solitary confinement, where he convinced the inmates in neighboring cells to play a game with him by yelling through the ventilation shafts.

No prison can hold the man whose mind is free.
>>
>>54506657
You'd think they would pull a Joe Dirt and just leave it at a rest stop or something.
>>
File: rogue.png (303KB, 500x526px) Image search: [Google]
rogue.png
303KB, 500x526px
>>54512577

I think it's a little more common than that. My friends are part of a prison pen-pal program (the idea is that if you keep talking to someone on the outside, you've got a better chance of staying sane and getting out.) The inmates ask for books a lot. Books are some of the few things that are allowed on the inside and are also durable, tradeable, and relieve the boredom. The most popular books are mysteries and RPG books. They say there are a lot of groups going, using the slips-of-paper-for-dice method.

So, it's not just some rare thing the news picks up on. Writing to two random prisoners also turned up stories of jail D&D. And it makes sense. What would you do in that situation?
>>
>>54517004
I agree with that statement. Fuck criminals
>>
>>54517242

Shit, if I went to jail I'd probably start working on that novel.
>>
>>54508017
Vice has been getting worse with every passing second.
>>
>>54516914
>small time contraband will destroy their punishment
k
>>
>>54505746
I worked at a mental hospital built to hold kiddy didlers and rapists in perpetuity. I was a sort of temp worker because my license allowed me to technically do the jobs necessary there but not good enough to get a full time State job there (fucking unions man).

Any way. There was this one guy who had mountains of GURPS books. He used to game regularly with a group before he was moved to the medical wing. He was permanently housed in the medical wing because he was such a fat lazy piece of shit that he was stuck in a wheel chair and his left foot was slowly rotting away. He also never bathed and when I first had a shift at on the medical wing I was warned that a C.Diff infection was currently raging through the place so it was on quarantine. I was a bit confused how this could be. Someone would have to not wash their hands after going number two to really cause that kind of problem.

Turns out ol' neckbeard guy had a penchant for jerking off with his poo. And then he would smear his poo hands on the torn out pictures of Justin Bieber he had hanging in his room. Oh god, his room. He had Tiger beet posters of Justin Taylor Thomas and Justin Bieber all over the walls. I had to search his room one time and that's when we found the poo smeared pictures under his mattress and smeared on the wall. His sheets by the way were crusty (literally, like the stuff that falls off a scab) and yellow...and brown.

Any way...I would talk to this dude occasionally about gaming and games he played before he got locked up in the medical ward away from his friends. This guy had one of the rec rooms kind on all to himself with a whole bunch of GURPS and other gaming books I never heard off. People were content to leave him alone in there because he stank like shit and rotting flesh and was an asshole most of the time. He spent some days designing a campaign but he wouldn't talk about it to me because it "wasn't ready".
>>
>>54517664

See, this is why GURPS is the best system. You can design any campaign with it. Even a campaign imagined by a overweight, rotting nurgle worshipper who uses his own poo to jerk it to Bieber.
>>
>>54517664
One of his friends came to visit when the quarantine was over. The whole time he is asking if he could borrow a book because he and the guys kinda of needed it to finish the game they were playing before the Aspect of Nurgle got sent to the med ward. The fat guy refused (on the one hand I couldn't blame him because with him being stuck in med ward there was no easy way for him to get the book back). The guy who came to visit, I saw him in a normal ward I would watch over a few times. He and two other guys got to game regularly at least twice a week. They had no dice and I don't know what their games were about (aside from occasionally checking in the window in the door to make sure they were not fucking or killing each other I was supposed to leave them alone). The books they had I did recognize as some Roll20 modern and some D&D 3.5 core books.
>>
>>54517487
Sure, seems like nothing till someone lights their room on fire making tattoo ink, or starts headbutting walls high on spice, or OD's because their heroin was laced with elephant tranquilizer.
But I can understand if you disagree. Between your rationalization of criminal behavior "small time contraband" and calling prison "punishment" I'd guess you have done a bit of time yourself.
>>
>>54519570

Treat people like animals, they act like animals.

Interesting how you want to believe anyone who disagrees with you is a criminal.
>>
>>54519658
Alright, I admit I jumped the gun a bit by implying that you are a criminal. I apologize. I just get frustrated when people trivialize the seriousness of contraband in prisons, because I am the one who has to run in and save these guys when something happens.

The guys in my mod spend most of their time eating junk food and playing videogames. Something I'd hardly call punishment.
>>
>>54517664
>average fa/tg/uy
>>
>>54506016
Why would he be rouge instead of blue like the others?
>>
File: 1386138112967.png (159KB, 344x339px) Image search: [Google]
1386138112967.png
159KB, 344x339px
>>54517664
Even though I really don't care for GURPS, I have a gut feeling this isn't quite real considering the recent topics...
>>
>>54509690
>>54517004
>>54506218

This. See >>54512603
>>
>>54509690
This is the right attitude, you wouldn't forgive your gf for cheating on you and take her back, neither would you ever trust a thief to never steal again.
>>
>>54507119
It is, at the very lest, sort of common. A buddy of mine is a prison guard in Missouri and they find books and character sheets fairly frequently.
>>
File: 12454567.png (73KB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
12454567.png
73KB, 250x183px
>>54505746
Sure sounds dandy but, due to personal experience reading article like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth cause most of the COs in NY are shitheads and don't allow PnP games.

Hell, next year families won't be able to send inmates packages anymore. They just have to send money so their loved ones can buy shit from the over priced prison approved vendors.
>>
>>54519658
They usually warrant it.
>>
File: 1500831056236.png (123KB, 612x563px) Image search: [Google]
1500831056236.png
123KB, 612x563px
>>54521786
>why isn't jail like a hotel?
>>
>>54506016
You know what? This post rustles me.

OP image is corny as heck but... it's sorta heartwarming? These people who in the eyes of society are at the lowest rung, lower than even hobos, they still pretend to be heroes. That black guy still wants to be the knight in shining armor, protecting others. Whatever bad decisions he made that lead him here, now he at least pretends he made the ones that ended up with him being able to do that.

I'm usually a cynic, and I'm not sure why I'm extrapolating so much from this shitty MSPaint pic, I just feel optimistic about this whole thing, and you just have to go for the low hanging joke.
>>
>>54522067
Because that wouldn't be profitable for the private owners.
>>
>>54506016
I don't know, barbarian feels about right.
>>
>>54522152
>bitching about someone making an honest living
>while defending thieves and liars and murderers
Really jogs the nog sir bog.
>>
>>54521902
If you give everyone what they deserve, society becomes hell on earth.
>>
>>54522130

tl;dr lol cry more
>>
>>54522219
So are you actually unironically defending privatized prisons or is this one of those things where you're being a contrarian to rustle people
>>
>>54522219
You are imagining things.

You asked a question, you got the answer. Or you think it's like that because we must stop inmates from reading?
>>
>>54520597

>Something I'd hardly call punishment.

Yeah, and it's not rehabilitation either. Prisons are for-profit bullshit.

A sane system would like something like:
>mental health services for the crazies
>training and monitoring for the dumbass losers
>prison for the tiny, tiny minority that you can't do anything else with.

But, that ain't what we got.
>>
>>54521607
Edgy.
>>
>>54517664
... Sick Nick?
>>
>>54506016
>rogues can't have shields and swords
You disgust me
>>
>>54522248
There is nothing wrong with private business, even if it's prison.
At worst they'll bitch about having tougher laws that make the streets safer.
>>
>>54522474
Privatized prisons are corporate ventures. A corporate venture must post consistently higher profits every year, in perpetuity. The primary revenue stream of a prison is a function of the number of inmates housed. The primary cost is vitals and amenities per inmate. How do you consistently post higher profits every year? Draw your own conclusion.
>>
>>54522474
Fuck you Doug Dimmadome owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmajail
>>
>>54522474
Alternately they'll loosen the bounds of what constitutes a crime while simultaneously making the punishments harsher, so that crimes that would have at one time resulted in a fine or community service now result in jail/prison time.

Notable for this are three strike laws.

That said, America doesn't give a shit about the causes of crime. It just cares about 'being tough' on it.
>>
File: 1500202912190.png (296KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
1500202912190.png
296KB, 600x446px
>>54522427
>he would look at his wife, Tyrone still in bed, his semen dripping from her mouth and say "I forgive you" then kiss her in the lips
>>
>>54522620
>if you do bad things you get punished
Shocking concept I know, just stop breaking the damn law.
>>
>>54522474

>crime college "makes the streets safer"

Corporations are neither good nor evil; they are amoral. They do whatever makes the most money. You have to create a system of laws that makes sure what makes the most money isn't, e.g., throwing babies into a woodchipper.

What makes the most money for prison corporations is lots of "crime" and lots of people in prison. Prisons create criminals, repeat criminals, all the research shows this.
They make the country worse for everyone else, but it makes money for them, so obviously they're going to do it. It's pointless to blame them; they're like money-seeking amoebas, basically mindless. But we do need to fix the system so they stop.
>>
>>54522644

You know, not everyone shares your interracial cuckolding obsession. It's kind of weird how you keep talking about it. Keep it in your pants, man.
>>
>>54522671
Alternately, only make laws against things that actively harm society and make the punishments fit the crime. You Americans scream about making government as small as possible, but Jesus Christ you want them to legislate against everything.
>>
>>54522644
Your comparison is a false equivalence. I might as well compare your attitudes toward crime as being someone who would cut off his girlfriend's limbs and keep her as a torture doll for looking at another man, but I'm not a retarded shitposter.
>>
>>54522680

You're right. We need to reintroduce corporal and other forms of punishment instead of relying on jails and the lie that is the rehabilitory theory of punishment.
>>
>>54522671
As a law student, I guarantee you break seven different laws every damn day of your life. It's just that the police don't have a motive to, say, give a shit about people jaywalking across a mostly-empty street yet.
>>
>>54522775

There are two reasons. First, most people want the government to stay the same size, or get bigger. Second, among those of who do want small government many give up on their principals quickly when it comes to their particular interests or their constituents. For example, the supposedly libertarian Ron Paul loved to jam important bills with pork for his district, and then vote against said bills to pretend he was against pork knowing it would pass anyway.
>>
>>54522831
I don't fucking jaywalk you damned libby.
>>
>>54509523
>A bunch of their documentaries turned out to be at least partially staged.
from what I've heard that's the case with almost every documentary ever that uses any newly filmed footage
>>
>>54522815
>rehabilitation
Once a crook always a crook anon.
>>
>>54522831

If there aren't any approaching cars, most states don't consider it jaywalking, Mr. Law Student.
>>
>>54522907
So, essentially, people only want bad shit to happen to other people, not to themselves.
>>
>>54522909
Have you ever played music with your window open? Congrats, you violated laws about noise pollution! Ever thrown a single piece of trash out of your window, or Hell, even into the bed of your truck? That's against littering laws. Driven with one headlight because you didn't know the other was burnt out? Saw anything resembling "suspicious activity" and didn't report it to the police? You could be arrested for being an "accomplice" if it was illegal shit. And if you DO report it and it WASN'T? That's just as bad! Now you're being arrested for wasting police time! And of course, all this is assuming no NEW laws are passed.
>>
>>54522946
Hence why I said "mostly-empty", Mr. Reading Comprehension.
>>
>>54522907
Dr. Paul was very open about that, and addressed it at several points. His reasoning was that since they were going to pass the bullshit anyway, getting some of his district's tax money back to the people he represented was the least he could do.

Considering his utter consistency in what he voted for and against, I'm willing to forgive a little pork barrel spending. That pales in comparison to gross civil liberties violations and relentless warmongering, neither of which anyone can accuse Dr. Paul of -ever- supporting.
>>
>>54523011
Joke's on you, I have never done any of the above.
Step your game up and stop blaming others for your inadequacies.
>>
>>54522309
When it comes to the American justice system, feels always triumph over reals. And people act surprised when people who are let out of American jail frequently fall right back into crime after being trapped in hell on earth for years and having their job prospects nuked.
>>
>>54523094
Alright, let's give this one last try. Three questions:
1. What's more important: making sure crimes are not committed in the first place, or punishing the people who commit them?
2. Is a man who steals a loaf of bread because his family is starving and he has no other way to provide for them the moral lesser of a man who scams people out of their life savings in a way that violates no laws?
3. Can any criminal ever be reformed?
>>
>>54522815
I would take 30 lashes over a month in prison, honestly. Corporal punishment is arguably more humane than what we have right now.
>>
>>54523250
#1, the second acts as the first.
#2, yes.
#3, no.
>>
>>54523313
30 lashes was comparable to something that would land you in prison for years nowadays.
you steal something for 500 bucks, you go to jail for a month (which is actually worse than prison because you can't do SHIT in jail other than sit still and read your 2 books a week) and stealing something like that back in the day would net you like 2 lashes.
lashes were fucking horrible and still are. if you have someone who knows how to use a bullwhip, you can cut someone the same as a knife going down the skin. the reason a whip cracks is because that little tip is going faster than the speed of sound and that tip is no more than a few millimeters wide.
>>
>>54523409
I'd still take the horrible mutilation of getting lashed twice over a month in prison lol. Like legit, at least I can still kind of go to fucking work or school with the incredible pain I'm carrying instead of having all of that nuked.
>>
>>54523313
Not to necessarily say that isn't a valid choice, but most people who say that have never witnessed a lashing.
>>
>>54509523
you do know that this movie wasn't a documentary,right? it was just using a Vice documentary to frame the found footage movie plot
>>
>>54523379
>#1, the second acts as the first.

To my knowledge, this conclusion is not supported by any facts, data or study.
>>
File: Table-1-Reconviction-rates.png (230KB, 850x659px) Image search: [Google]
Table-1-Reconviction-rates.png
230KB, 850x659px
>>54523379
>#1, the second acts as the first.
Which is why nearly half of all released prisoners end up getting convicted again after only three years?
>>
>>54523511
I'm not even really advocating corporal punishment, desu, it's more of a rhetorical technique, that a lot of people would take the pain and mutilation of a lashing over a month in prison, for very good reasons, even.
>>
>>54523569
>>54523552
From others, not these pariahs.
>>
>>54523591
Ah, I can see where you're coming from. The threat of being shipped off to a slave colony really served to cut down on crime in George's England. R-right?
>>
>>54523591
I'm not sure if you know this, but the majority of criminal offenders are people who are desperate for money or food. "Desperate" usually means they're willing to overlook the potential consequences of their actions because they see no effective alternatives. As hard as it is to believe this, most criminals in the act are thinking of the short term much more than they're thinking in the long term.

What you MIGHT be thinking of, actually, is the pretty well proven fact that the thought that they'd get CAUGHT deters criminal activity. It's what security guards, home cameras, and leaving the lights on when you go out are for.
>>
Feels like we've had a regular run of these threads recently. Is someone going to prison, OP?
>>
>>54523623
It worked for Rome.
Then again they tied people to sticks and left the corpses on display.
>>
>>54506984
Yes, those poor bank robbers and murderers, why is everyone so mean to them?
>>
Yeah I know some geeks who went to prison. Mostly for being completely retarded (crashing into things while drunk driving).
>>
>>54523717
Do we have any comprehensive crime statistics for Rome, in the same way we have somewhat-comprehensive statistics for 18th-century England and modern America?
>>
>>54522130
If you actually read the article you'll learn that it took the inmates in the story's group to actually cooperate and not backstab eachother, steal shit for themselves and actually cooperate.

They're trash people, and they don't deserve your misdirected empathy.
>>
>>54523865
So what, exactly, is wrong with that? Isn't a prison sentence that teaches someone not to act like a dumpster fire better than a prison sentence that doesn't teach them anything?
>>
>>54523379
1. Deterrence theory has been proven to be ineffective for reasons previously stated by others.
2. So morality and the law are the same thing in your eyes, interesting. Does that mean the principles of Sharia are ethical in the states where that is the law?
3. That is actually factually incorrect, and has been proven wrong repeatedly over the past three centuries.

This, combined with the fact that you seem to view someone who's been arrested for any reason as existing somewhere beneath sewage, leads me to a conclusion. Either you cling to a very counterfactual view of human nature, you're shitposting, or you're just a sadist who wants a paper-thin justification for your sadism. Any way, you aren't worth continuing to engage on this topic. Thanks for clearing that up!
>>
File: 1350965285017.gif (2MB, 162x149px) Image search: [Google]
1350965285017.gif
2MB, 162x149px
>>54523772
>everyone in prison is a murderer or bank robber
>>
>>54523865
*years was the keyword here that my drunk mind slipped

Anyways, as my own 2 cents I think that we should introduce public shaming again into punishments, especially in smaller communities.
Having to stand in the stocks for a day or having your face plastered in the entrance to the store you tried to rob would certainly make you more hesitant than to go away to prison in 6 months, since 99% of the people have no idea you're a criminal and will treat you normally. Social exclusion is a powerful tool.
>>
>>54523959
Hey, if babies didn't want to be thrown out, they should stop getting into baths filled with water. Stop being such a libcuck, mister "all men have certain inalienable rights".
>>
>>54523959
I forgot how high/max security is usually full of junkies, first time offenders and people convicted of food stamp fraud
>>
>>54523962
>Hmm, making people social pariahs isn't making crime go down...
>I know! We just need to make people WORSE social pariahs!

Let me just make things as simple and pleasing to your sense of justice as possible: the only punishment, for all crimes, should be outlawry. The criminal will be branded with a mark on their face that will mark them as an outlaw. Engaging in any sort of financial transaction with an outlaw is illegal. Outlaws cannot own property, benefit from any form of social welfare, and otherwise are a complete non-entity. Any person may do absolutely anything they want to an outlaw and it is legal. Beat them, maim them, rape them, torture them, kill them, etc. This, clearly, will eliminate all crime.
>>
>>54524061
Wait, that would still leave scale of punishment... let's say that worse crimes will also result in a person's FAMILY becoming outlaws. There.
>>
>>54524061
How will we determine what is a crime? We should assign some sort of... principle, designed to ensure non-aggression between individuals.
>>
>>54523962
Or it'll be a requirement for initiation into certain social groups (i.e. gangs), and may even serve as a mark of authority within those groups ("Yeah, that's right, I robbed that bank.")

As well as effectively insuring that such a person will never get another job due to social notoriety. Recidivism isn't crime, right?
>>
>>54524096
The State determines what is a crime, and whatever they determine is right! Us mere worms should be grateful The State allows us the PLEASURE of licking its boots as they stomp upon our face!
>t. >>54523379
>>
>>54524082

So someone in California needs to worry about a brother in Texas doing something illegal and making them a criminal?
>>
>>54524173
This was exactly how things like brands, scars from public floggings, etc. worked in the crime culture of the Middle Ages. One of the reasons "gang tattoos" became a THING was because, without branding, criminals needed a different way to signal their criminal status and accomplishments to each other.
>>
>>54524061
Tell me, do you actually know any criminals? Because I know. Lots of them. My family is basically riddled with them, and their associates and friends are aswell, and I can tell you that they don't fear getting caught. The only thing that's gonna happen is that they're going away for a while, and sometimes not even that. They will still go around town like nothing, meet with their other criminal friends, and generally make everyone around them miserable. Most normal people don't know who's criminal and who's not, they interact with them without knowing that they're fucking scum, absolute trash people, and in return these criminals prey on them. People are able to be active burglars for a decade before people have any idea who's a lifer. The same guy will repeatedly go in and steal stuff in stores because they KNOW that the store employees will not risk getting hurt trying to stop them, and there's no point in calling the cops because they'll just ask if anyone actually saw them steal anything.
And the only thing these fuckers have, is their family, their own twisted community. By breaking up this facade of uncertainty, by actually hanging out the shitheads poisoning the group, you can actually hurt them, and make them fear getting caught. Which sadly is the only way to get rid off them.
>>
>>54524180
Who cares, if his brother was scum he was probably scum too; that's why he got caught.

Note that I'm not serious about any of this: I'm just trying to make a point about that earlier dipshit who thought that prison systems that focus entirely on punishment are A-OK,
that all laws are moral, and that anyone who commits any crime is automatically irredeemable subhuman refuse.
>>
>>54524173
Are you saying that people with sentences can get a job easily anyways? Do they even deserve that?
>>
>>54524253
My father frequently had business dinners at Camille's. You should understand.
>>
>>54506031
I imagine it like some kind of prequel to Oldboy, where some crazy old school mate pays ridiculous sums of money to have his old "friends" kidnapped as adults and has them imprisoned in a secret private facility for 10 years so he can run a singular ongoing D&D campaign.
>>
>>54522644
Seriously, why are racist sexist white guys the only ones even remotely interested in cuckold and then in denial and touchy about the subject? I could almost understand any one of those dysfunctions, but how can they all coexist in the same person, let alone with such frequency?
>>
>>54524602

Good question. /pol/ does constantly bring up interracial cuckoldry and I think that they believe it is some kind of political statement.
My theory is that they believe that spamming their cuckold memes makes for some kind of decisive argument against "liberals".
Of course, in reality it is just cringeworthy and makes the /pol/guys look pathetic but they themselves lack the basic social skills needed to see that. The problem is reinforced by /pol/posters encouraging and applauding eachother.
If you ask them to stop posting their cuckold stuff they will assume you are an "SJW liberal" who promotes interracial cuckoldry and now is mad because the clever /pol/guy has made your racemixing ideology look bad.
>>
>>54525640
I just assume it's the same reason you hear about so many priests and far right supporters rogering young men.
>>
>>54524602
>>54525640
>>54526958
GET THE FUCK OUT.
>>
>>54517664
>average GURPS player
>>
>>54519658
On the flip side; people act like animals, they get treated like animals.
>>
>>54527202
I dunno dude, Crows can be pretty bro-like.
Like, everyone wearing a red hat throws rocks, so all the crows in a 10 mile radius start dive bombing people in red hats.

Or you start feeding the crows in your neighborhood, you find your car sideswiped and a bunch of crows screaming on your asshole neighbors garage, where his car sits covered in your paint under a drop sheet.
>>
>>54524602
>>54525640
You know how all those politicians or priests that rant on and on about dangers of homosexuality and end up getting caught getting their dick sucked by a guy or taking it up the ass?
It's the same thing, every single member of /pol/ who uses cuck as an insult wants to watch their waifu take a big, black cock.
Every. Single. One
>>
>>54527036
>getting all caps mad
Way to lend credit to their argument, boyo
>>
>>54524008
It actually is full of junkies usually because we'd rather send them to prison to pay for their shit for the next 3 decades than send them to rehab for six months. Someone makes money off that shit. It just isn't the person paying for it.
>>
File: horrid little communist.jpg (57KB, 494x598px) Image search: [Google]
horrid little communist.jpg
57KB, 494x598px
>>54524176
>triggered
>>
>>54530606
>Implying a Communist wouldn't WANT that
>>
Why are there so many threads about this shit

Are you guys all going to jail soon or what
>>
>>54530657
No internet communist thinks that they'd be part of the downtrodden masses lining up for scrapes of government approved sawdust bread that makes up 99% of communist society

They think they'll be the revolutionaries, the Lenins, the Stalins, the Marxes. They think communism will be a breakaway from government control with them leading the new order as first among equals

Needless to say, communists aren't just wrong, they're also retarded "useful idiots"
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u4[1].jpg (67KB, 800x576px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u4[1].jpg
67KB, 800x576px
>When the Federal Government wants to shut down your private prison, violating your sovereign right to property, so you equip your prison slave with Mosin Nagants to invade Washington D.C.
>>
I think one of the important issues here is the balance between punishment and rehabilitation. While it's true that we can't just make prison a free ticket to counselling and vocational training, almost as a reward for committing a crime, it's equally true that such things directly reduce the amount of crime in the community...

At what point do we strike the balance? It's certainly true that prisons in say, Sweden are far too heavily rehab facilities which offer no real consequences for the criminal's actions, but on the other hand, the American prison system, almost by design, creates re-offenders and often forces inmates into worse crimes, after being convicted for a minor offence; not to mention the horror stories you hear about the minority of prison officers who take a sadistic pleasure in abusing their power and thus, turn the prison population against even reasonable officers.

Also, having read that article, it's quite offensive to me that the US Court of Appeals upheld a ruling that was clearly based on bias, not only against inmates, but against the game itself. For goodness sake; this isn't the 80s anymore! I thought we were long past the idea that RPGs are a societal evil!
>>
>>54522474
That system is horrible, it keeps people who would have their parole done already locked up because the private prisons can actually fine the state the prison in for not meeting a mandatory quota.
>>

Oh lawd am I laffin
>>
>>54533360
>the American prison system, almost by design, creates re-offenders and often forces inmates into worse crimes

Justice does not "force" criminals into crime. Stop trying to claim criminals do not willingly choose to do what they do.

Maybe the reason these poor little lambs reoffend is because they are simply predisposed to crime. Prison does not create criminals. Moral weakness does.
>>
File: sheev.gif (1MB, 320x206px) Image search: [Google]
sheev.gif
1MB, 320x206px
>>54533360
Prison is fucked. If I had total control of prisons I'd turn every cell into a NEET apartment with endless videogames, porn, anime, etc. The prisoners would also have a wide menu of fatty foods (along with a few healthy options) to sate their hunger. Candies, burgers, pizza, you name it.

Social interactions would be the only thing lacking. The prisoners would have next to zero human contact for the duration of their sentence. Maybe after awhile they can apply to be in RPG groups, or basket weaving classes, but nothing at all close to the yard.

The end result is turning dangerous criminals into fat, anime watching hikis addicted to porn and videogames.

When was the last time you've heard of a NEET committing a crime?
>>
>>54535069
But Anon, how will that foster repeat custome- I mean, repeat offenders that the privatized prison system can use as cash cows and also basically bread and circus for the bloodthirsty, punishment-hungry masses who don't care about social order but their own warped version of justice?
>>
>>54534534
Consider then, you have a moment of minor moral weakness, like say, petty theft, or possession/use of class C drugs.

You go to jail, get exposed to gang culture. Your behavior has to change to you get abused. You become pre-disposed to violence and aggression as a learned response to conflict. When your sentence is concluded, you have 'jail time' on your permanent record and finding a job is exponentially harder. This further incentivises crime as a means to get by, or else rely on government hand-outs, which are also curtailed as a result of your criminal past. If you rely upon handouts, society treats you worse. Your other option is to follow up on dubiously-legal or outright illegal offers from contacts made while in prison. It's also proven that people with shit lives turn more to drink or drugs as a coping mechanism. This will inevitably result on more criminal behavior, which will land you back in prison.

Yes, criminals should be punished, but not in a manner that simply incentivises or creates circumstances conducive to further criminal behavior. A private prison system however, has no motivation to create circumstances that REDUCE the overall number of criminals.

>>54535069
That merely provides a positive incentive for people to commit crimes though, Anon. Prison should not be desirable, but it also should not result in the end of a person's life as a lawful citizen.
>>
>>54534534
>Justice does not "force" criminals into crime.

So we can agree that what's going on in american prisons is not Justice, then?
>>
>>54534534
>because they are simply predisposed to crime
This would indicate that Americans are the most criminally minded people on Earth.
>>
>>54534534
You're an idiot. Go talk to anyone who's been in prison more than a year, and they'll tell you how hard life is once they're done.
>>
>>54535129
>theysa goodboys, they dindu nuffin, its all tha gubmint madem do it

DON'T WANT TO GO TO PRISON? DON'T COMMIT CRIMES.
>>
>>54535373
What happens when the definition of 'crime' becomes expanded though? We've SEEN it happen, Anon; you can't deny that it does! What happens when merely 'distasteful behavior' becomes criminal? What happens when the few small ways everyone acts in start meriting fines? Then weeks in jail? Then months? What about false imprisonment and miscarriages of justice?
>>
>>54523962
>we should go back to the middle ages!
yeah sounds great, why don't we just re-install public hangings and feudalism as well while we're at it?
>>
>>54527036
Touched a nerve there? I wonder why
>>
>>54524602
>Seriously, why are racist sexist white guys the only ones even remotely interested in cuckold and then in denial and touchy about the subject?
they probably use it to ridicule their opponents and get a rise out of them,a tactic that is clearly working considering your long, wordy response
>>
>>54537974
>You sure bring up cuckold porn a lot.
>Y-YEAH WELL YOU NOTICED. FUCKIN SHOWED U BUDDY.

Will /pol/ ever be cool?
>>
>>54525640
You could quit the enlightened psycho-analyst shtick and realize /pol/ has its shitposters too.
>>
DM kills your character, you kill DM.
>>
>>54506016
>in prison
>not having escape fantasies.
>>
>>54539005
>/pol/ has shitposters
I think you mean
>/pol/ IS shitposters
>>
File: Aaron Klug map.jpg (360KB, 1600x1238px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron Klug map.jpg
360KB, 1600x1238px
>>54505746
>TFW an inmate makes better maps than you

Shit man, I'd play This Guy's campaign from level 1 to 20+.
>>
>>54523959
>tfw served 4 months because i put a "go back to the vatican" banner on my house during a pope visit.
>>
File: IMG_0331.jpg (178KB, 1440x706px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0331.jpg
178KB, 1440x706px
>>54522596
Underrated.
>>
Isn't it funny how we've replaced chattel slavery with prison labor in Clapistan, and everyone's okay with it because it's class warfare instead of racism?
Nobody's going to stand up for the felon's right to vote in their own interests, though.
>>
>>54539054
I chuckled
>>
>>54523865
>murderhobos not backstabbing each other and actually working together

Sounds like they're already better than the average D&D group tbqh.
>>
File: 1459128166982.jpg (181KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1459128166982.jpg
181KB, 900x675px
>>54540204
The Prison system is just a small part of the plan, regulation of "assault weapons" because of the high crime comes next without solving anything. Currently the biggest sources of crime are a result of shitty economies and societies
>>
>>54505746
Prison is very segregated, black would never join with whites for rec activities. Also, long beards are not allowed.
>>
>>54522725
>>54522796
>>54524602

T. cuck.
>>
>>54540663
Can't be a cuck if you never have a SO.
Thread posts: 168
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.